Here we go...

City2000

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that Juve game really was the decider, must have been a painful loss.

For sure was a tough loss but was always going to be a hard game. I feel I lost the title with that draw at Udinese really, their 93rd minute equaliser was tough to take!

So close to winning the league..

Yep, still delighted with 2nd overall but maybe we can go one better next year!

Eek, that's a close finish; bet you were watching the live league table like crazy in the final game!!

Can't quite believe that a side losing ten games can still win the league though! :eek:

I was :D I had the live table and goal updates all set up but Juve scoring two early goals killed my enthusiasm a bit I must admit, still left it up just incase though!

I was a bit surprised to see them win it with 10 defeats aswell but the rest of us just had too many draws.

Ooo just edged out by your city rivals.

Yes, always hurts that bit more when it's your rivals that take the title. Juve have had the sign over me since I took over really, 2 draws, 2 defeats in the league aswell as a Coppa Italia Semi final defeat so it's about time I got some revenge!

International Roll of Honour

[b]World Cup  European Champs  Copa America  Cup of Nations   
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
2012              Portugal                       Senegal
2013                                             Ivory coast
2014   Holland
2015                               Argentina     Ivory coast
2016              France
2017                                             South Africa
2018   France
2019                               Argentina     Burkino Faso
2020              Holland
2021                                             DR Congo
2022   Mexico
2023                               USA           Ivory Coast

European Roll of Honour

[b]Champions League   Europa League   
-----------------------------------------------------[/b]
2011/12   Real Madrid        Spurs
2012/13   Man Utd            Chelsea
2013/14   Spurs              Man City
2014/15   Barcelona          PSG
2015/16   Bayern             Spurs
2016/17   Marseille          CSKA Moscow
2017/18   Marseille          CSKA Moscow
2018/19   Chelsea            Valencia
2019/20   Barcelona          Leverkusen
2020/21   Leverkusen         Sampdoria
2021/22   Sevilla            [color=RED]Torino[/color]
2022/23   Marseille          Barcelona

Domestic Roll of Honour

[b]England   Spain        Italy      Germany     France     Holland
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
2011/12   Man Utd   Barcelona    AC Milan   Werder      Lyon       PSV
2012/13   Spurs     Barcelona    AC Milan   Schalke     Lyon       Vitesse
2013/14   Man City  Barcelona    Napoli     Leverkusen  Lyon       PSV
2014/15   Man Utd   Real Madrid  Juventus   Bayern      Lyon       Vitesse
2015/16   Chelsea   Barcelona    Juventus   Bayern      Lyon       PSV
2016/17   Arsenal   Real Madrid  Juventus   Bayern      PSG        [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2017/18   Man Utd   Real Madrid  Sampdoria  Wolfsburg   Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2018/19   Man City  Barcelona    Juventus   Bayern      Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2019/20   Spurs     Real Madrid  Juventus   Leverkusen  Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2020/21   Man Utd   Barcelona    Sampdoria  Wolfsburg   Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2021/22   Man Utd   Barcelona    Roma       Wolfsburg   Lyon       FC Twente
2022/23   Man Utd   Barcelona    Juventus   FC Bayern   Marseille  FC Twente

Red indicates team managed by me

There's nothing worse than losing out to your bitter rivals :thdn: especially when it's the Scudetto. What was the key d'you think? Losing to Juve or conceding that 93rd minute goal against Udinese? Surprised to see Varese up there :eek:. Have they had a takeover or scraped their way to Serie A?

There's nothing worse than losing out to your bitter rivals :thdn: especially when it's the Scudetto. What was the key d'you think? Losing to Juve or conceding that 93rd minute goal against Udinese? Surprised to see Varese up there :eek:. Have they had a takeover or scraped their way to Serie A?

Indeed. The Juve game was crucial for sure but I kind of expected a defeat in that one so the 93rd minute Udinese goal was more frustrating. I probably should have shut up shop really at 1-0 but I felt we were so comfortable and with them down to 10 men I didn't bother, so despite it being from a set piece where we fell asleep I blame myself for not closing the game out. They were both key but had we won that Udinese we would have been top with only 1 game left so I think that was the big result and ultimately my decision that cost us.

Varese have scraped their way up really, still the same board and they had 4 straight years in Serie A finishing 17th, 17th and 13th before getting relegated and then bouncing back by winning Serie B. I did notice a few years ago they had some great young players but have struggled to keep them.

Former Club Watch

history23.jpg

I was concerned that FC Twente would drop off after I left but Roberto Donadoni has done a fine job, this year they won their 7th straight Eredivisie, claimed their 4th Double in 6 years aswell as making the Champions League Quarter Finals for the 5th straight year.

Season 13

Pre Season Update - 2023/24

torinobadge1.jpg

Board Expectations

Serie A - Qualify for the Europa League

Champions League - Reach the Group Stage of the Champions League

TIM Cup - Reach the Quarter Final of the TIM Cup

Supercoppa - Not Important

My Expectations

Serie A - After finishing 3rd and 2nd the past two years i'm expecting to finish Top 3 in order to qualify for the CL.

Champions League - I'm expecting another L16 appearance but hoping to push on to the Quarters this year.

TIM Cup - Another Semi final effort will be fine

Supercoppa - Vs Juve, desperate to beat my rivals

Budgets

Transfer Budget - £34m

Wage Budget - £1m - Currently spending £850k

Transfers

torinotransfers1.jpg

Key Players In

Neil Marshall - Man U - Free - For me this is my most important signing since I took over at Torino two years ago. I've been looking for a top quality Centre Half from my first day on the job and in Neil Marshall I look to have finally landed my man. At 27 years of age, 54 caps for England and 200 league appearances for Man Utd I am getting a top class Centre Half still with his best years ahead of him. I first put Marshall on my shortlist back in January when he announced his intention to leave Man U, at that time he had no interest in joining me but following a news item that he had left Man U I decided to offer him a contract and see what happened. Luckily for me he accepted.

Emerson - Anderlecht - £8.75m - I decided pretty late in the window to sign Emerson, I've been looking to beef up my striking options and this guy was on my shortlist all summer. After missing out on a few other stikers and with a few clubs looking at him I didn't want to risk missing out again so I met his minimum fee release clause and added him to the squad.

Pavol Takac - Cercle Brugge - £1.6m - This 23 year old Slovakian international striker was an absolute bargain at just £1.6m and I couldn't sign him quick enough. With Takac and Emerson added to my current striking options of Joel, Novak, Galan and Marconi I certainly should have enough firepower this year, keeping them all happy will be another matter!

Kent Sachse - Anderlecht - £4m - My second addition of this window from Anderlecht, Sachse is a left winger with a lot of potential that for now at least wil play backup to Moussa Kone. Am hoping for big things in the future from this Danish U21 international.

Team Report + Tactics

report23.jpg

tactics23.jpg

Next

I'm hoping this year we can again secure a Top 3 spot in Serie A and with the additions we have made also challenge for the title. To do that we will need to cut out some of the draws and hopefully by adding a top quality Centre Half aswell as a couple of new strikers into the squad we can do that. We have hopefully added enough quality to make us more of a threat in Europe aswell.

As for me, I was entering the last year of my initial three year contract at Torino this season and I have decided to sign a new two year extension meaning I should be at the club for the next three years at least.

Fantastic news :thup:

Thanks Raware :)

Great news on the stadium. Takac looks a brilliant signing. With his high composure, off the ball and anticipation I think he could make a great poacher. Perhaps needs his finishing improving by a point or two though.

Totally agree with you there, Takac has a lot of the key stats for the poacher role except the finishing stat although that has risen to 14 now. Thats what i've been using him as and he's been impressive so far.

I just read the whole thread. Excellent job with Twente. Hope you can win the CL with Torino :)

Thanks Hellcattt :) Hope you enjoyed reading it.

Might take a bit of time to pay for itself though.

Yes, the financial aspect is my only real concern over the new stadium. Hopefully the board know what they are doing!

Season 13

Mid season Update 2023/24

torinobadge1.jpg

Serie A - Wow, to say that I did not expect to have the start to the season that I have had would be a huge understatement. After beating Juve in the Supercoppa we won our first 11 games until we met Juve again and they held us to a draw at home. From there we won our next 4 without conceding a goal but then hit our first bump in the Serie A road losing 3-1 at Grosseto, we were 3-0 down at half time in this one. We have bounced back nicely though to win our last 2 games to put us an unbelievable 14 points clear of second place Juve at the midway point. I am honestly stunned by how good we have been in the league.

Europe - Well, the Champions League hasn't gone as smoothly as our league form. We were third seeds for the draw in which we were drawn against holders Marseille, At Madrid (for the second year in a row) and Apoel. We started out great winning 4-0 at Apoel before a late equaliser cost us victory at home to Atletico in a 1-1 draw. We went down 3-2 at Marseille in a thriller whilst we then threw away a 2 goal lead at home as they snatched a late 2-2 draw in the return game. After crushing Apoel 7-0 at home we travelled to Madrid knowing a score draw would be enough to qualify. At half time we were 1 down but a spirited second half saw us equalise soon after the restart, then with just 2 minutes left we scored what looked to be the decisive goal only for a linesmans flag to rule it out, Atletico then broke our hearts with a 92nd minute winner from a corner to knock us out of the CL and into the Europa League. On closer inspection our disallowed goal was wrongly chalked off to leave a real bitter tasting end to our CL campaign. We will now play Bordeaux in the Europa League.

Coppa Italia - Just the one round played so far where we struggled to beat lower league Taranto 2-0 after extra time, we will now play Udinese in the Quarters.

Domestic Fixtures

domfix1.jpg

Serie A Table

seriea24m.jpg

European Fixtures + Table

cl24.jpg

Key Performers

Pavol Takac - Takac has just been stunning notching 27 goals already, 17 in the league.

Joel - A great foil for Takac, has scored 18 goals with 12 assists.

Neil Marshall - Has been a rock at the back adding 8 goals.

Asanda Ferreira - With 5 goals and 13 Assists it was no surprise that I had to fend off several big money offers in this window for Ferreira.

Marcel Bayiha - A great partner for Marshall at the back, has also chipped in with 5 goals.

January Transfer Window

Key Players In

Philip Metcalfe - £6.25m from West Ham - My first Wonderkid signing of my career, I actually didn't notice he was until seeing the news item on the day I signed him. Will only be third choice initially behind Takac and Joel but I had to bring him in now once several bigger clubs were looking at him.

Mauricio Acosta - £2.6m from Young Boys - Will be our new right back following the departure of Zahi Ben-Lulu to Chelsea, represents good value for money.

Key Players Out

Radim Novak - £9.5m to Brighton - Slipped down the pecking order and despite high potential I decided to cash in once I started serioulsy persuing Metcalfe.

Zahi Ben-Lulu - £9m to Chelsea - Had a lot interest in Zahi from top European clubs so decided to sell for £9m seeing as I found a solid replacement for just £2.6m.

Iban Galan - £2.8m to Sabadell - Again, fell out of favour. However Galan did well for me scoring 31 goals in his debut season and 17 last year.

Next

The aim now is to try and keep our amazing Serie A form going as we look to claim what would be Torino's first Scudetto in 48 years aswell as try to win the Europa League for the second time.

Fantastic so far! 14 points is a huge advantage. Funny how you lost to Grosseto though :p

Thanks, let's just say i'll be extremely disappointed if I were to throw this away from here. Grosseto hammered me aswell, I was 3 down before I knew what had hit me!

Excellent start domestically,shame about the tough group in the champions league.Hopefully you'll be able to have a run in the Europa League.

Thanks, was a tough group for sure but still a bit annoyed to be out of it. Hopefully we'll do well in the Europa.

Just read the full thing, keep it up!

Thanks, hope you enjoyed reading the thread :)

Still got a bit to do on the big stage.

Indeed, we've had 6 games against first and second seeds in the CL over the last two years and have yet to win any of those games.

Season 13

Season Review - 2023/24

torinobadge1.jpg

Serie A - The second half of the season was all about not blowing it, we had a comfortable 14 point lead after 19 games after an amazing start that saw us win 17 of those 19 games. It was always going to be tough to keep up that sort of form and so it proved. After collecting 52 points over the first half of the season we were only able to pick up 33 in the final 19 games, however no-one got anywhere near us as we cruised to ourt first Scudetto in 48 years. The highlight for me was a 3-1 win at Juve that more or less secured the title. Overall a fantastic Serie A season.

Europe - As good as we were domestically we were unable to produce anywhere near that form in Europe. After finishing 3rd in our Champions League group we entered the Europa League and after sneaking by Bordeaux 4-3 we drew Anji in the Second Knockout Round. We dominated at home but fell to a 1-0 defeat before a miserable performance away where we again lost 1-0 in a game that could have been 4 or 5. Not a great season in Europe for sure.

Coppa Italia - We secured a great domestic double by lifting the Coppa Italia, after beating Udinese and Napoli easily we faced Atalanta in the final and were lucky as after a poor performance we were able to win a penalty shootout.

Domestic Fixtures

torinodomesticfix.jpg

European Fixtures

torinoeuropefix.jpg

Final League Table

seriea24.jpg

Key Performers

Pavol Takac - Not a bad return for a £1.6m investment! 39 goals, 24 in the league as his value has soared. Has already earnt a new deal and now has a £24.5m release fee so I hope the clubs that are now looking at him stay clear.

Asanda Ferreira - Great season from my star wideman, 22 assists and 6 goals.

Thierry Cisse - Fantastic season from my DM playmaker, really came of age this year

Joel - Nice season from Joel who formed a lethal partnership with Takac, particulary in the first half of the season.

Next

The goal now is to try and defend our title and look to improve in Europe. I'll be looking to move a few fringe players on over the summer and ideally i'd like to add a new Right Winger aswell as bringing in some more depth.

Career Overview

Season     Club               League                                      Position      Achievements

2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           Took over on 6.7.11
2012       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          Took over on 26.2.14
2014-15    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        1st           League Champions, Promotion
2015-16    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Eredivisie                            15th          Left Club after 6 games for FC Twente
2015-16    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            6th           Took over on 27.9.15
2016-17    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions
2017-18    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL L16
2018-19    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, UCL Quarter Finalists
2019-20    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL Quarter Finalists
2020-21    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL Quarter Finalists, Left Club (resigned)
2021-22    Torino             Serie A TIM                                 3rd           Europa League Winners, TIM Cup Winners
2022-23    Torino             Serie A TIM                                 2nd           European Super Cup winners, Supercoppa Winners
2023-24    Torino             Serie A TIM                                 1st           Serie A Winners, TIM Cup Winners

International

Season            Nation                      Competition                     Position                 Notes

2016              Ivory Coast u23's           Olympic Games                   First Round 
2018-2019         Turkey                      Euro 2020 Qualifiers            4th                      Sacked

Congrats on winning the league :thup:
Excellent domestic form,just unlucky that your not able to replicate it in Europe yet.
Fantastically dominant season in Serie A. Takac was pretty immense too! :thup:

Thanks all :)

Is a shame our European form hasn't been better, hopefully next year will be our breakthrough year in the CL.

Takac was great, I just took a punt on him really and it looks like it's paid off so far! Already got clubs sniffing around so might have to give him his third contract in a year just to get his minimum fee release clause higher.

Romped to the Scudetto. :thup:
Commanding domestic double.

I know it's petty but I'd be really annoyed to miss out on 100 goals in the league.

Just me maybe!

Well done on your Scudetto, do think you'll change your tactics for european games next season though?

Thanks, I think I may have too. I changed my style in Serie A in the past season to a more attacking one which worked well and I tried to take that into my European games but it clearly didn't work there. I may go to a slightly more conservative style in Europe I think whilst keeping my attacking style domestically.

Former Club Watch

history24.jpg

Great work from Fortuna to qualify for the Europa League, they will enter in the Third Qualifying round.

For Twente it will go down as their worst season for some 8 years as they fail to win a trophy finishing runners up in the Eredivisie to Ajax. Surely no coincidence that their worst season for some time happens as manager Roberto Donadoni leaves for Napoli and they appoint 36 year old Rydell Poepon who had moderate success at Feyenoord. They have however just moved into the new 47000 capacity Twente Stadium but I fear their period of domination in Holland could be coming to an end.

Euro 2024

group.jpg

euro24p2.jpg

euro24p3.jpg

A few notes of interest from Euro 2024

• France and Italy only teams to win all three group games
  • Armenia failing to get a point on their major tournament debut
  • Spain and Italy meeting in the second round
  • Holland winning their second Euros in a row and third major tournament victory in 10 years
  • Denmark, Italy and England managers all sacked, Wales and Spain managers quit

International Roll of Honour

[b]World Cup  European Champs  Copa America  Cup of Nations   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
2012              Portugal                       Senegal
2013                                             Ivory coast
2014   Holland
2015                               Argentina     Ivory coast
2016              France
2017                                             South Africa
2018   France
2019                               Argentina     Burkino Faso
2020              Holland
2021                                             DR Congo
2022   Mexico
2023                               USA           Ivory Coast
2024              Holland

European Roll of Honour

[b]Champions League   Europa League   
----------------------------------------------[/b]
2011/12   Real Madrid        Spurs
2012/13   Man Utd            Chelsea
2013/14   Spurs              Man City
2014/15   Barcelona          PSG
2015/16   Bayern             Spurs
2016/17   Marseille          CSKA Moscow
2017/18   Marseille          CSKA Moscow
2018/19   Chelsea            Valencia
2019/20   Barcelona          Leverkusen
2020/21   Leverkusen         Sampdoria
2021/22   Sevilla            [color=RED]Torino[/color]
2022/23   Marseille          Barcelona
2023/24   Leverkusen         Werder

Domestic Roll of Honour

[b]England   Spain        Italy      Germany     France     Holland
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
2011/12   Man Utd   Barcelona    AC Milan   Werder      Lyon       PSV
2012/13   Spurs     Barcelona    AC Milan   Schalke     Lyon       Vitesse
2013/14   Man City  Barcelona    Napoli     Leverkusen  Lyon       PSV
2014/15   Man Utd   Real Madrid  Juventus   Bayern      Lyon       Vitesse
2015/16   Chelsea   Barcelona    Juventus   Bayern      Lyon       PSV
2016/17   Arsenal   Real Madrid  Juventus   Bayern      PSG        [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2017/18   Man Utd   Real Madrid  Sampdoria  Wolfsburg   Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2018/19   Man City  Barcelona    Juventus   Bayern      Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2019/20   Spurs     Real Madrid  Juventus   Leverkusen  Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2020/21   Man Utd   Barcelona    Sampdoria  Wolfsburg   Marseille  [color=RED]FC Twente[/color]
2021/22   Man Utd   Barcelona    Roma       Wolfsburg   Lyon       FC Twente
2022/23   Man Utd   Barcelona    Juventus   FC Bayern   Marseille  FC Twente
2023/24   Chelsea   Real Madrid  [color=RED]Torino[/color]     FC Bayern   Marseille  Ajax

Red indicates team managed by me

Managerial Update

englandjob.jpg

Having been sacked by Turkey back in 2019 i'm making my return to international management with England. I wasn't really looking to get back into international management but after Mancini got the boot following Euro 2024 I couldn't resist taking the job on after I was named favourite for the role.

As you can see below from the squad report England have a decent squad with a few standout players, not sure it has the quality to win a major tournament but we shall see...

englandreport.jpg

Key Men

Ian Mcintosh

David Hussey

Dave Smith

Dan Hayes

WorldCup26qualifying-1.jpg

Our World Cup qualifying group doesn't look too bad either

Nice catch. Uploaded the wrong screenshot, doh! Changed it now.

Also added the WC2026 qualifying table to the post above now.

I was looking at Euro 2024 and saw England written in blue and I was confused because I (quite rightly) didn't remember you taking the England job, I soon scrolled down to read the inevitable news.

• 2 weeks later...
Armenia did very well to qualify for the Euros.

They sure did, they don't have much of a squad but this guy is their stand out player.

Great work with Torino mate. You should qualify from that group with England as well.
Good luck with England. Russia might cause you a problem though!

Archived