Official Spain WC thread

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very pessimistic with Spain. Spain can only win the WC with FOOTBALL and I feel the team doesn't have enough football to win it all, not right now. I need a good game even more than they do to believe.

It's funny how Del Bosque has stolen the team to Xavi (and since he's not my favorite player, it's not an excuse for his bad form). He's got the best playmaker and has him playing away from the ball. Then Maradona has the best player in the last 30 meters and has him playing away from the area. :D

I'm very pessimistic with Spain. Spain can only win the WC with FOOTBALL and I feel the team doesn't have enough football to win it all, not right now. I need a good game even more than they do to believe.

It's funny how Del Bosque has stolen the team to Xavi (and since he's not my favorite player, it's not an excuse for his bad form). He's got the best playmaker and has him playing away from the ball. Then Maradona has the best player in the last 30 meters and has him playing away from the area. :D

Me too. I had high expectations from Spain, but with each game I'm more and more dissapointed :(

I'm very pessimistic with Spain. Spain can only win the WC with FOOTBALL and I feel the team doesn't have enough football to win it all, not right now. I need a good game even more than they do to believe

what do you mean not enough football?

I can understand the pessimism though because many of them are playing below what we know they can or are just plain not fit. they do need a special performance right now. I don't think it will come tomorrow though, it'll be a tight game I think.

some more villadependencia.

When I say that I mean that Spain can't do what they used to do right now. You know, you expect Spain to dominate a game and play their game, but right now there are many doubts in that team. I don't know, some important players aren't at their best and then there is that debate about Alonso and Busquets, both, one, none (well, that's not possible). The team looks vulnerable.

Then, of course, you beat Portugal and you are virtually in the semis, although Paraguay = Switzerland 2.0.

I don't think they look vulnerable as such, chile don't count :D definitely lacking though.

you know fernando torres isn't fit, he is saying it himself. iniesta is not INIESTA, xavi...out of position/out of the game. then the fullbacks aren't doing anything, sergio ramos is some way there but capdevila is nowhere.

about the doble pivot debate, what do you think? I read johan cruyff saying it harms the team, and that it's not balanced? I don't really understand that thinking. I think that's what he said.

not spain related but one thing I didn't mistake what he said: :D

"La veo jugar y pienso en Gerson, Tostao, Falçao, Zico, Socrates... Y, en cambio, solo veo a Gilberto, Melo, Bastos, Baptista... No pagaría una entrada para verla"

Haha, harsh on Bastos surely.

The midfield isn't unbalanced, just a bit...limp at the moment. Nobody really dictating play (Xavi too far forward), nobody driving forward from midfield (Xavi in Cesc's position), wasn't enough width with Silva on the right. Understandable against the more dangerous teams, but I would have liked to have seen Javi Martinez play instead of Busquets, or in an ideal world Xavi in his normal position.

When Villa was injured in the Euros, it meant Cesc, why doesn't it mean that now with Torres injured.

Repeating myself but it's got to the stage now where he's obliged to play the 2 deeper midfielders, even though none of them benefit from it. Busquets has done his unnecessary job without any problems, but I don't see how this formations gets the best out of Xabi Alonso either.

I don't think they look vulnerable as such, chile don't count :D definitely lacking though.

you know fernando torres isn't fit, he is saying it himself. iniesta is not INIESTA, xavi...out of position/out of the game. then the fullbacks aren't doing anything, sergio ramos is some way there but capdevila is nowhere.

about the doble pivot debate, what do you think? I read johan cruyff saying it harms the team, and that it's not balanced? I don't really understand that thinking. I think that's what he said.

not spain related but one thing I didn't mistake what he said: :D

"La veo jugar y pienso en Gerson, Tostao, Falçao, Zico, Socrates... Y, en cambio, solo veo a Gilberto, Melo, Bastos, Baptista... No pagaría una entrada para verla"

I don't like that debate, especially from Cruyff, a football man. It's easy to blame that/them for what's happening and I expect a lot more from Cruyff. He's also defending his idea of football, so you need to know him.

I mean, if you analyze the three games, maybe Alonso and Busquets have been two of the better players. You have mentioned the REAL problem above, it's the form of Torres, Iniesta...

When he says that it's not balanced, I'm sure he's talking about the roles. Who is the playmaker? Alonso or Xavi? Then he said something that is a real problem, the team is not pressing well (they did against the Swiss ironically), maybe they need Capello...

Anyway, do I like it? no, especially now that Spain have so many problems to solve situations collectively (it sounds better in Spanish...). Yesterday, I said that Spain are lacking football and it's about that, when the team can't create situations through football, collectively. The goals are a good example of what I mean.

What would I do? If I'm honest, I don't know, because I have that feeling that the team probably needs that protective net. But then, I don't think it's working, even defensively, Chile had a lot of space between the lines, so maybe it would be better to have a player like Cesc, or Silva if you don't want to sacrifice Iniesta on the right, in the team instead of Alonso or Busquets.

I can see Spain going out. Something is just not right but I don't know what it is exactly... At first I thought it was width but Navas showed that it isn't and they won the EC with no wingers after all.

I think it has something to do with wanting the ball too much. In the EC, Spain had a lot of possesion but not the amount they have now. This gives opponents the time to reorganise and without infiltrating runs from midfield they run out of ideas. I wouldn't wanna be in Del Bosque's place right now.

I don't like that debate, especially from Cruyff, a football man. It's easy to blame that/them for what's happening and I expect a lot more from Cruyff. He's also defending his idea of football, so you need to know him.

I mean, if you analyze the three games, maybe Alonso and Busquets have been two of the better players. You have mentioned the REAL problem above, it's the form of Torres, Iniesta...

When he says that it's not balanced, I'm sure he's talking about the roles. Who is the playmaker? Alonso or Xavi? Then he said something that is a real problem, the team is not pressing well (they did against the Swiss ironically), maybe they need Capello...

Anyway, do I like it? no, especially now that Spain have so many problems to solve situations collectively (it sounds better in Spanish...). Yesterday, I said that Spain are lacking football and it's about that, when the team can't create situations through football, collectively. The goals are a good example of what I mean.

What would I do? If I'm honest, I don't know, because I have that feeling that the team probably needs that protective net. But then, I don't think it's working, even defensively, Chile had a lot of space between the lines, so maybe it would be better to have a player like Cesc, or Silva if you don't want to sacrifice Iniesta on the right, in the team instead of Alonso or Busquets.

this exactly. I saw Cruyff say this on dutch tv and it really is by far their biggest issue. Torres, Iniesta etc not playing at 100% is only a detail because they are still far better than their opponents. If they press as hard and consistent as Barça usually do, it'll be a lot easier. The only one I really see pressing is Villa.

Any team can advance up the pitch with average players if they are allowed to do so, and score a lucky goal. This team plays best when totally dominating the opponent, grabbing them by the throat and not slowing down until 1 or 2 goals up. Of course you do have to remember most of them played long seasons, so whether they can still do that I don't know.

I'd put Pedro on, he's not tired and he can press like a madman. Spain need his energy upfront, and he has shown he can handle the pressure. Navas has been bad anyway and Torres is not fit as has been said already. Plus the two striker-system doesn't work as well as an attacking threesome.

Ramos was immense today, oxygenating (learn Spanish with yovan) the team when it was needed.

Villa looks like a bargain for Barça now. I always knew that he could be great on the left in a 433 and need to brag about it.

----------Xavi---------J. Martinez------

Torres----------Fabregas----------Villa-

---------------Llorente-----------------

Clearly the way to go vs Paraguay. Except possibly Pedro/Mata/Silva/Mata/Iniesta in for Fernando Torres. You could also argue for Iniesta in Fabregas' position but Iniesta was pretty poor vs Portugal except for the goal. It would be a shame to drop Xabi Alonso but Xavi is better and should play in his best position. Please don't interpret the lack of Busquets as evidence of my Busquets-hate, I just think that Javi Martinez can do equally well defensively but also add some more dynamism in attack, i.e. if space opens up ahead of him he isn't afraid to make a forward run and get into the box khedira-like and still get back in defence if the move breaks down.

ramos is ****ing awesome, I think I love him in a gay and non-gay way.

gotta love it when he plays two positions at once.

fernando torres r.i.p

What can you do with him? Spain need him, but he isn't there. And then he isn't the same player with Spain even when he's at his best. I would probably give him another game, but it's not an easy decision.

And Ramos could be a player he can't even imagine.

busquets won't be needed against paraguay, we know that much. fernando torres isn't needed either, he doesn't even look like a footballer right now.

would be interested in seeing javi martínez, but I wouldn't drop xabi alonso (unless he's injured).

just have iniesta on the right, and make sure sergio ramos is sergio ramos and the right side should be ok.

i have been very impressed with Ramos's attacking prowess getting up and down the flank, capdevila on the other hand has looked like the obvious weak link he is

Oh and yh, Barca got a bargain with Villa, Valencia should have waited till after Villa tore up the WC to sell him :D

i have been very impressed with Ramos's attacking prowess getting up and down the flank, capdevila on the other hand has looked like the obvious weak link he is

Oh and yh, Barca got a bargain with Villa, Valencia should have waited till after Villa tore up the WC to sell him :D

Ramos is flash with no substance, he's not much better than Cap only more athletic

Villa is already a proven star in the Liga and every tournament. I think that the price was maxed out at 40 mil

ramos was the only one providing any width apart from villa, capdevila is fast becoming a liability tbh

40 mil euros is a pretty cheap price for Villa tbh, he is probably the best striker in the world right now ( ive thought that for a longish time though :D ) hes on the cusp of becoming the all time leading scorer for spain at the age of 28 ( and hes only been playing international football for 5 years and 5 months ), a lot of valencia fans feel the board did not negotiate well in the Villa ( and the impending silva ) transfer

he's been training today as normal.

anyway, looks like fernando torres is going to start again. I don't know, you can't leave him out, but spain needs 11 men especially against a team like paraguay so maybe llorente should play.

they should have learned enough about this game from the switzerland one.

got the job done today but didnt impress. germany look like the favorites for the semis now. dont think torres should start again. cesc has been a positive influence imo and should start. spain look like they have much more penetrating power and control of the midfield with him on the the pitch.

Germany will play football against Spain - therefore Spain will win. Every team bar Chile has just defended so far.

don't think it's that simple. germany's defence isn't that bad and they are well capable of scoring a few against this spanish defence. they are playing great as a team.

not confident spain can win playing like they are now.

Germany's defence is poor - it shouldn't be overrated. England looked dangerous against them, and if they weren't even worse in defence could well have got a result.

Argentina only managed to highlight this weakness for 10 minutes in today's game, and that's because they didn't have enough of the ball and because their weak attacking game plan (in a tactical sense) was found out by a good team. Spain don't suffer the same problems, although Xavi is wasted at the moment, and will surely keep the ball better.

The other thing is that Spain were dreadful today, and I don't think they can have two games in a row at that standard. It was the same with England after the Algeria game - there was no way they would play that badly against Slovenia. I think the same will happen here.

Think a lot of it is up to del Bosque actually. What I wrote above:

dont think torres should start again. cesc has been a positive influence imo and should start. spain look like they have much more penetrating power and control of the midfield with him on the the pitch.

I dont think the german defense is poor.. but neither do I think that they are great defensively. Apart from Lahm they dont really have anyone world-class (although Friedrich has been good this tournament) but Spain has not impressed that much either

spain were poor today, torres and xabi alonso especially, torres has been dreadful all tournament, cant recall him making a worthwhile contribution at all towards spains play, Llorente has contributed more in his one substitute appearance, alonso's passing was unusually wayward, was quite suprising

Iker Casillas today highlighted the role played by Pepe Reina in his dramatic penalty save from Oscar Cardozo in Spain's World Cup quarter-final victory over Paraguay on Saturday night.

With the scoreline still goalless, the Real Madrid goalkeeper thwarted the striker from 12 yards allowing Spain to go on and book a place in the last four of the tournament thanks to David Villa's late winner.

And Casillas has revealed Reina told him beforehand where Cardozo would strike the ball, having faced two spot-kicks against the Paraguayan during Liverpool's Europa League clash with Benfica in April.

"Reina told me where Cardozo would shoot. He is phenomenal," said Casillas.

Spain will now meet Germany in the semi-finals on Wednesday evening in a repeat of the 2008 European Championship final.

Casillas added: "This team has a lot of quality and can go very far. But we have to be careful because Germany has a great team and we need to have respect for them."

Our hero! .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived