WoIfsong's Teamtalk Guide 2010

Well, in this case, I was heavily favored, said for the fans and got smoked 2-0. I do feel that it is dangerous to say for the fans b/c often your side won't come out fired up but the other one might.

If you were heavily favoured, why didn't you go with 'I expect the trophy'? That's what I would have done. :thup:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you were heavily favoured, why didn't you go with 'I expect the trophy'? That's what I would have done. :thup:

on my old save game with my mate, i was liverpool and he was man u, even tho it was a big team like man u, whenever the odds where in my favour i always used expect to win, i think in the 4 seasons we played he beat me once, i even thrashed him 7-3 in the champs league final lol

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are correct about this. I was 4-1 favorites. Should have expected the victory.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am playing my first season with Chelsea in 2014/15 in my journeyman career game. I have to say that this has, by far, been my least enjoyable experience playing this game in any incarnation. To be clear, it is not the game, but rather this team that has been so unenjoyable. The main reason? The team is listed as very determined. Yet, team talks produce nervousness or almost zero effect. In addition, the coaches constantly note that the team underperforms v. weaker competition. So, what would you do when you are very heavily favored? "Expect a win." Doesn't work. Turns them to a bowl of nerves which makes zero sense.

In fact, Terry was so useless as a leader and made so many mistakes that I have not used him in more than 15 matches. He was literally unplayable and could not be motivated. We sit 2nd, but have little change of winning Prem and we are out of every other competition including an embarassing 0-3 away to Newcastle in the FA.

This is the first time I have had this happen using these talks and I am puzzled.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that "no pressure" teamtalk is very effective on a Champions League final game. Most players become more relaxed and do a great job.

I used "For the fans" and "Expect a win" vs Barcelona (i was Real) and i was trashed. Than i reloaded the game and used "no pressure" (i don't know how is showed in English, i play in Portuguese") and then i trashed him ;)

Hi TBH,

I've read many posts regarding your tactics, but now I feel a little bit confused.

The last pack supplied at the start of this post, talk about "plug and play", this means that I've only to sit down and take care about sustitutions or I've to change the mentality in relationship with the match events ?

So 2 little dubts: how many time did you spend with the same tactic before changing it to avoid that AI break it and in the FLAT 442 wich man you carry out if you remain with 10 men.

Tnx for the support, I've played FM2011 with big teams winning everything using TT&F2010 but I'd like to carry a minor squad to the success and I've noticed that this year this is harder than ever cause I can't do better than the 10th place in Serie A with Brescia. May I upload my savegame to you in some way so You can give me more suggestions ?

Best regards,

Daniele

Does anyone have any thoughts on adjusting WoIfsong's team talks for two legged matches?

I see that WoIfsong has said above:

It seems that the game treats the pre-match teamtalk for the 2nd leg as "half time team talks" in terms of general team talk options.

Is this what others have found to be the case too?

Does anyone have any thoughts on adjusting WoIfsong's team talks for two legged matches?

I see that WoIfsong has said above:

Is this what others have found to be the case too?

Yes. It is what I have always assumed same as Extra Time matches I have always treated 90 min teamtalk as "halftime"

So, logically it would treat 2nd leg matches as halftime as well not a "new" match

• 3 weeks later...

So, tell me how this makes sense. I am playing Chelsea. We are in first place and need 4 points to win the league. Home game v. Spurs who are 3rd. My team is listed as highly professional. We are losing 0-1 at the half to rivals. In every single game I have ever played, that is easily at least a "disappointed" team talk or even and "angry" talk. So, I go with "disappointed." 8 of my players are playing nervously and we lose 0-1 w/o a single good chance on goal. What a friggin joke.

So, tell me how this makes sense. I am playing Chelsea. We are in first place and need 4 points to win the league. Home game v. Spurs who are 3rd. My team is listed as highly professional. We are losing 0-1 at the half to rivals. In every single game I have ever played, that is easily at least a "disappointed" team talk or even and "angry" talk. So, I go with "disappointed." 8 of my players are playing nervously and we lose 0-1 w/o a single good chance on goal. What a friggin joke.

Highly professional player doesn't mean that the player has high pressure attribute. And especially if you play against your rival (moreover in the most important stage of the season), you have to be very careful with your team talks. Team talks like for the fans, expect performance put a lot of pressure on players same as "disappointed" team talk.

Highly professional player doesn't mean that the player has high pressure attribute. And especially if you play against your rival (moreover in the most important stage of the season), you have to be very careful with your team talks. Team talks like for the fans, expect performance put a lot of pressure on players same as "disappointed" team talk.

While that does make sense in the real world, it has never been my experience in FM. So, perhaps FM has tweaked the team talks for FM 11? Because I am finding a lot of the reactions of great, highly professional players playing on a champion in big games to be rubbish and not anything like what I have previously experienced with the game.

While that does make sense in the real world, it has never been my experience in FM. So, perhaps FM has tweaked the team talks for FM 11? Because I am finding a lot of the reactions of great, highly professional players playing on a champion in big games to be rubbish and not anything like what I have previously experienced with the game.

As I've said already, professional doesn't mean, that the player will automatically perform in big matches. There are other more important attributes like pressure, determination, important matches attribute etc. Also don't forget that tactics are very important. If you choose bad tactic and your team will be under pressure, some players might become nervous. Further there's a question if professionalism (hidden attribute) actually has any significant effect on team talks. I think professionalism is more important for training attitude (together with determination).

What were the ass man observations on your team prematch? If it states that some players were looking "nervous" then that might explain why the halftime teamtalk didn't work

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wolfsong,

I read your OP and it helped me give a more-detailed insight of the effects of Team talks in the game. Thank you for that.

As it is a big piece of text to swallow, and to consume myself time searching your OP trough to find help when i need it, i have made myself a quite smaller and clearer overview/summary of what you posted.

If you, or some one else could be bothered with it, i would like it (a .doc Word document) to share with you and the other managers. Won't post link until you say i can though! :)

Cheers

Hi Wolfsong,

I read your OP and it helped me give a more-detailed insight of the effects of Team talks in the game. Thank you for that.

As it is a big piece of text to swallow, and to consume myself time searching your OP trough to find help when i need it, i have made myself a quite smaller and clearer overview/summary of what you posted.

If you, or some one else could be bothered with it, i would like it (a .doc Word document) to share with you and the other managers. Won't post link until you say i can though! :)

Cheers

I made an Excel/OpenOffice spreadsheet a while back that still should be listed in the thread, and there's also a Word document by someone else with the details in it, so I don't think it's a problem posting yours as well :)

when you ass manager say's xxx trying are a number of he squad are trying to blend into the squad. What do you say??

From my experience the best way to handle these kind of situations is to make sure your match preperations are on team blend, and to mix in 'you have faith/no pressure' on those players trying to blend in. It's unfortunately not an exact science, so trial and error is the method. Make a little notepad document or something where you write down which players that react positive/negative to the different teamtalks, so that you can easier pick the correct ones later on

From my experience the best way to handle these kind of situations is to make sure your match preperations are on team blend, and to mix in 'you have faith/no pressure' on those players trying to blend in. It's unfortunately not an exact science, so trial and error is the method. Make a little notepad document or something where you write down which players that react positive/negative to the different teamtalks, so that you can easier pick the correct ones later on

cheers

No *****, so i could have play 2 hours FM in the last 2 hours instead of making one? haha.

Ah well, good way to take it trough and remember it i suppose :p

Here it is then, if anyone would care :)

Word document

PDF document

nice 1 just perfect

Has anyone got any positive experiences of using 'prove a point'?

I used to use it all of the time when it became available for a player (usually when he has below 6.5 but not all of the time for some reason). I rarely had much of a positive experience with it.

Sometimes it would turn a poor performance into a sort of solid, low 7, performance. Never has it had the effect that disappointed can have where it totally turns around a players game.

Any observations or thoughts regarding 'prove a point'?

AFAICT, "Prove a point" is only available for those players in your team who have performed poorly (compared to the rest of the team). In general this means that the 2 or 3 worst performers in your team may have this option available. Generally this means a low 6, as most of the team will probably be on 6.6 - 6.9 in most games at half time.

It works exceptionally well on those players who need to be psyched up to perform, and isn't effective on those players who crumble under pressure. I've had a few strikers who liked to score when you chose "prove a point". I'm not sure exactly what personality traits work well, but it seems to be a case of more temperamental and ambitious players reacting well. A professional will probably react better to "disappointing".

It is early, but I have been using Wish Luck to begin every match with two different sides. So far, I have preferred its effectiveness to For the Fans in '11. I think I would continue to use For the Fans for any derby matches, tho. Half time, I still essentially use this guide, but I am always using Prove a Point whenever available to good results.

It is early, but I have been using Wish Luck to begin every match with two different sides. So far, I have preferred its effectiveness to For the Fans in '11. I think I would continue to use For the Fans for any derby matches, tho. Half time, I still essentially use this guide, but I am always using Prove a Point whenever available to good results.

That would be an interesting combination of the 2 "accepted" team talk methods on the forums. How would you say it's better in terms of effect?

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that you can choose the individual team talk "Pick up where you left off!" and "Expect a Performance!". To me it seems like that team talks at the start of the second leg of a two-leg match is a bit of a mix of pre-match and half-time team talks.

That or have faith. Similar effect.

I have to disagree there, "You have faith" (and it's similar team talks like the friendly match version "Show me what you can do" and - if drawing at half time - "You can make the difference") and "Encourage" (and it's versions like "You have 1 hand on the trophy", "One more goal you can do it!") can yield very different results and should not be used as if they are the same.

I have to disagree there, "You have faith" (and it's similar team talks like the friendly match version "Show me what you can do" and - if drawing at half time - "You can make the difference") and "Encourage" (and it's versions like "You have 1 hand on the trophy", "One more goal you can do it!") can yield very different results and should not be used as if they are the same.

From my experiments I can say, that they are very similar. I'll explain why. Both "encourage" and "have faith" team talks raise player's confidence. They don't motivate much but how I've said they can raise confidence (and morale as morale is very similar thing to confidence, players with high morale are more confident). The difference between them is that the "encourage" team talk raise confidence a bit more. Which can be a double edged sword. Eg. if morale is very high among your players and you tell them at half time "encourage" some of them can be demotivated/complacent easily (the reason is that their morale/confidence is high already and if you raise it even more it goes over the top). Important thing to note is that from my tests complacency doesn't have to be reported in the motivation screen even if some of your players start to be complacent. They can be reported as playing ok even when they are complacent. I watch a lot of matches in full mode I am able to recognize when my players start to be complacent (generally start to loosing challenges, misplace easy passes etc.).

"Have faith" also raise confidence but not that much. In other words it's harder to go over the top so can be used even if morale is quite high.

From my experiments I can say, that they are very similar. I'll explain why. Both "encourage" and "have faith" team talks raise player's confidence. They don't motivate much but how I've said they can raise confidence (and morale as morale is very similar thing to confidence, players with high morale are more confident). The difference between them is that the "encourage" team talk raise confidence a bit more. Which can be a double edged sword. Eg. if morale is very high among your players and you tell them at half time "encourage" some of them can be demotivated/complacent easily (the reason is that their morale/confidence is high already and if you raise it even more it goes over the top). Important thing to note is that from my tests complacency doesn't have to be reported in the motivation screen even if some of your players start to be complacent. They can be reported as playing ok even when they are complacent. I watch a lot of matches in full mode I am able to recognize when my players start to be complacent (generally start to loosing challenges, misplace easy passes etc.).

"Have faith" also raise confidence but not that much. In other words it's harder to go over the top so can be used even if morale is quite high.

In my experience "Have faith"-team talks can sometimes be more demanding on a player (depending on the player and situation it is used). It looks like it can at times convey the meaning to certain players that you have not only faith in their ability, but also that you have faith in their ability to fix things or to play very well. it has happened to me a few times, albeit very rarely, that players have become nervous from this team talk. However the encouraging part of the you have faith team talks are far more common.

I think this is why the have faith team talk works so well on players who have high ratings at half time or those who have scored a goal in the first half. It encourages them, but also pushes them to try even harder.

In my experience "Have faith"-team talks can sometimes be more demanding on a player (depending on the player and situation it is used). It looks like it can at times convey the meaning to certain players that you have not only faith in their ability, but also that you have faith in their ability to fix things or to play very well. it has happened to me a few times, albeit very rarely, that players have become nervous from this team talk. However the encouraging part of the you have faith team talks are far more common.

I think this is why the have faith team talk works so well on players who have high ratings at half time or those who have scored a goal in the first half. It encourages them, but also pushes them to try even harder.

Yes, have faith team talk can cause nervousness, particularly when the player has a low determination (this is a sign that he probably also has a low pressure attribute, although these attributes aren't linked). Anyway have faith and encourage are very similar. Both boost confidence, but apparently have faith also put more pressure on players. BUT!, even no team talk can cause nervousness so the question is, whether the nervousness is caused by this team talk or by other things (like attendance, match events etc.)

The reason why have faith very often works on players who have higher ratings at half time is, that it boosts their confidence even more without becoming complacent. From what I've seen so far it doesn't push them to try harder (at least not significantly), but it boosts their morale. The thing which pushes them to try harder is their determination attribute.

• 4 weeks later...
AFAICT, "Prove a point" is only available for those players in your team who have performed poorly (compared to the rest of the team). In general this means that the 2 or 3 worst performers in your team may have this option available. Generally this means a low 6, as most of the team will probably be on 6.6 - 6.9 in most games at half time.

It works exceptionally well on those players who need to be psyched up to perform, and isn't effective on those players who crumble under pressure. I've had a few strikers who liked to score when you chose "prove a point". I'm not sure exactly what personality traits work well, but it seems to be a case of more temperamental and ambitious players reacting well. A professional will probably react better to "disappointing".

I find that if a player has a bad game, I have a private chat with him afterwards and tell him his performance was not satisfactory. If he takes the criticism on board and agrees with you, then Prove a Point works very well next time you put him in the team.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived