dafuge's FM10 challenge

Boreham Wood FC – Coca Cola League Two - 2012/13

Pre-season, for the third time in a row, all targets were to stay in the division. This time, however, I really did feel it would stay that way. I didn’t really feel the squad was good enough for League Two and to be honest I never expected to win the playoffs – I had written most of the report under the assumption that we would have been gallant losers, in with a great chance of automatic promotion to League Two this season. But League Two is very different to the BSP, and my squad didn’t really look like it was up to a third straight promotion. That said, I was quietly confident that with a bit of strengthening, survival shouldn’t be too much of a problem, and if we kept going like we were, then we’d be pushing for promotion next year. At the start of the season, we received a large sum (£120k) in parachute payments thanks to Portsmouth, Hull, Burnley and Bolton’s promotions over the last couple of years. Then the board turned us professional and Watford terminated their link with us. That wasn’t a big deal – we have Arsenal as a parent club.

League Table

League Positions Graph

For the first ten games or so, it really looked like we were destined to undo all our good work of last season and get relegated back out of the Football League. But we really improved towards the end of the season and safety was, realistically anyway, secured with about ten games to go. There was a slight chance of a push for a playoff spot, with the Wood always about 10 points off it in the 2nd half of the season, before falling further off the pace with a poor run at the end of the season, picking up just four points from our last nine games. But a season of consolidation was the important thing and hopefully next year we might be able to make a push for a playoff spot. Just four more wins would probably have seen us in the Playoff zone, and those last nine games really did cost us dear.

The e.on FA Cup – our debut in the 3rd round, and whilst we didn’t get a Premiership team, Leeds were a good 2nd best – they’re riding high in the Championship now.

The Carling Cup – Peterborough got into the League 1 playoffs this season so this defeat was no disgrace.

The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – and Norwich got promoted from League 1 so ditto!

Transfers – Mainwaring and Ball were probably the only two high points in the transfers in this season. Might clear some dead wood out this summer.

Squad – only two players averaging over 7, which needs to increase next year. But a fair few goals from a struggling side.

Key Player Profiles:

Jamie Robins – Not an absolute hatful of goals but very consistent and was usually amongst the best players in the side on a matchday.

Zoltan Harsanyi – probably the player of the season for me, and he played both on the wing and up front which is very helpful.

Ross Stephens – loan signing from Spurs, and whilst he wasn’t brilliant, he did his best to stabilise what is a very weak defence that will need to be strengthened next season.

Marcus Cassius – not the best of seasons from Marcus and he’s probably out of his depth, but he did chip in with some vital goals.

Matty Mainwaring – one of the MAINstays (geddit? :D) of the midfield, Matty played some part in every single game this season. His passing ratio is pretty good, and he’s done well.

Callum Ball – mid-season signing during a period when my strikers weren’t firing. He didn’t get many goals but he got the others scoring – the competition seemed to spur them on. He’s also a good prospect for the future.

Career Overview

Season    League                 Position      Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Blue Square South         1st        Promoted as Champions
2011/12   Blue Square Premier       5th        Promoted as Playoff Winners
2012/13   Coca Cola League 2       20th        -

Next Season

The target is simply to improve next year. There might be a push for the playoff places but I’m not particularly bothered about that – I still feel that last season’s promotion came a little quick anyway, so a further season of consolidation before a more concerted push for promotion to League One in the next couple of years is probably fine. I’d definitely take anything from about 15th upwards, although to be honest, survival will continue to be the main priority. Hope to do some cost-cutting over the summer as my wage bill has spiralled a bit this year. But I also need to firm up my defence a little – we have one of the leakiest defences in the league. Any thoughts/recommendations/questions?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Into April now so my EOS report should be up later today.

Now... I signed Jabuti to see what all the fuss was about...

I'm disappointed. Only 45 goals in 42 games. I was expecting something more like 100 in 3 :p

Naa, in all seriousness, Jabuti has been a god for us this season. He lived up to the hype!

My word, on my return to the CCC (2018-2019) after suffering a really bad season on my previous foray, I'm actually doing really well with much the same team. Ok I've added some youngsters and my two centre halves had a combined age of 65 but apart from that my team is very similar. Guess what though?! I'm currently 3rd and I cant quite believe it. I just keep winning and the draws usually come in away games. Gwan you Boro !!

EDIT: I didnt realise that your coaches and more specifically my assistant managers stats improved over time? The assistant I appointed at the very start of the game now has mostly 20's in his abilities?!? It's taken me all these years to think of replacing some of my staff...and when I went to look at them, they've all gotten alot better :o

Oh and by the way, mulling over my improved form, I cant help thinking it has coincided with me no longer doing press conferences, I got sick of them and put my assman to do them, and I've not looked back since.

Anyone got any thoughts on my season report? 2nd season in League 2 is proving just as tough, really...so far anyway.

With two consecutive promotions and a young squad you are always going to find it difficult at some point. Just don't ever stop looking to improve your squad.

Bad luck on the World Cup dafuge, shame the dream won't be happening (at least for a while anyway). The new signings look excellent, it must be liberating to be able to go out and splash the cash again!

League 2 advice. Hmm, it's a hard one. I've found in League 2 if you have a steady (enough) defence, then you can build your squad around a complete forward. Alex Revell did the business for me in that regard.

Its not really that simple, though is it? Surely at this level there's not really such thing as a "complete" forward. I find my strikers are all very much hit and miss - I have quite a lot so I can rotate them when out of form. My 18 goals so far this season have all come from just four players. That's in 22 games in the league, and I got knocked out of both cup competitions so far without scoring. 18 goals in 22 games isnt really good enough...

Simple, far from it. I got very very lucky with players who were released - loan players and pacy players are also a massive bonus. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's easy to forget just how much luck is involved in this challenge. Good luck, regardless.

Yeah I always look for pacy players. Hopefully within a few years I will have improved the squad enough to go up. It wont happen fast. But I have a feeling the step up from L2 to L1 might not be so big so after a few years, maybe consecutive promotions could be on the cards again?

Oxford City - Season 2017/18 - Coca Cola Championship

Pre-Season, and all the hopes and expectations therein

Started poorly, finished strongly and didn't concede a goal in the last 4 friendlies. At the same time, it was annoying to see, once again, only Karakas was contributing with the goals.

Transfers

I released players who I believed were too old or just wouldn't make the standard of the Championship. Kramer, Salcedo, Vink, Jonsson, Perico and Amengual were all essentially useless and a waste of time and/or money where applicable. Andrews was signed with the future in mind and so was Barker, but Blackpool's lost proved to be our gain as he quickly claimed the first choice keeper spot. I was pleased to sign Joao Lemos permanently after a steady season on loan, and bar Kroonstroom all the other signings proved to be squad players at best. My hand was forced in January to trim some of the deadwood, but it was bitterly disappointing to lose Valbuena, my best defender by far, to a bid over my head from Sheffield United.

The Season!

A first day win would be important, and a Zoundi penalty gave us just what the doctor ordered. However, the doctor must have been a quack because I certainly wasn't expecting us to lose 3-0 away to newly promoted Southend in a game the fans are only just starting to forgive me for. Plymouth famously unravelled us on the opening day last season and despite a stirring fightback from 2-0 down, they snatched a last minute winner. The lucky so-and-so's. The first month of the season ended with a deflated defeat at QPR, and the question on everyone's lips was - what's happened to our defence? And our goals? Well, we fought bravely in the next game, televised at home to Middlesborough, but lost out 2-0 and never really looked on the same level. It looked as if it was going to be one of those seasons.

Blackpool were a team who gave us some crucial results last season, and we secured a rare win at Bloomfield Road with our first goal from open play that wasn't scored by Oguzhan Karakas - and this was the 16th September. We did the impossible and made it two in a row with another 1-0, this time at home to Southampton. Such wins were great but irrelevant if we only got them against the relegation teams, and miserable defeats against Sheff Utd and Wigan seemed to confirm my point. We were unlucky only to draw at Milwall, but we then got our best win yet; 3-2 at home to Bolton. Diakite's last minute winner was deserved, despite twice getting pegged back to level scorelines late in the game. League leaders Newcastle were given a chasing in their own backyard but former City transfer target Sean Graves' early goal made the difference.

Notts County totally outclassed us as they completed the double last season, so I was surprised as anyone as Marco Antonioli's brace secured a memorable win against the Magpies. A tough game against Birmingham was reflected in a 0-0 scoreline, and the situation was similar at London Road, except Peterborough managed to find the winner. A 2-0 home to Huddersfield came next and it really seemed like our terminal form was going to cost us Championship survival. After some more disappointing low score draws and defeats, I changed my tactic from a defensive 4-5-1 to a more attack minded 4-4-2. It reaped instant rewards at Brighton, where 3 late goals made the difference. It was disappointing to lose 1-0 at relegation rivals Cardiff, but we pulled out another win against Crystal Palace with Kroonstrom once again on the scoresheet. Wins over Cardiff, Stoke and Southend gave us an unbelievable 4 consecutive wins and with the new formation we had a greater variety of players scoring; we weren't just relying on Karakas' goals. We finished off a difficult run of games brilliantly by holding table toppers Blackburn to a 3-3 draw at Ewood Park with a second-string team.

Consecutive 1-0 losses to QPR and Plymouth seemed agonising enough, but nothing, nothing would compare to our next three games which would all yield a 2-2 draw when a win would have helped us so much:

Coming back from 2-0 down at Middlesborough and squandering a whole host of chances.

Letting a one goal lead slip courtesy of an own goal at Southampton.

Blackpool pegging us back with a last minute equaliser. It seemed as if everything was going against us.

So when Sheff Utd took a one goal lead at Court Place Farm, I was less than confident. But we pulled them back superbly and Perico's brilliant 89th minute volley gave us a crucial win and suddenly, three games without a win turned into 4 games without a loss. Not 5 though, because Milwall embarassed our new formation by romping home to a 4-1 win.

Dreariness at Wigan preceded an unprecedented double completed against Bolton - I believe the Antonioli and Karakas inspired win us what saved us this season. We did superbly to hold high flying Newcastle and Birmingham to draws, but one of the worst peformances I've ever seen was to follow. We lost 5-2 to a Huddersfield side that had 10 men for 70 minutes; a few home truths were brought out in the dressing room. A loss at home to Peterborough sucked us back into a relegation battle, but we emerged with flying colours and another 4 game winning streak; the highlight of which was dominating Cardiff away where we were unlucky not to win by more than 3 goals to 1.

The last three games of the season saw us home and hosed, and passed without incident until the last game of the season. Traditionally I give the fringe players a run-out in this fixture, and despite being at home to already promoted Blackburn I kept faith with this policy. It was rewarded with a terrific performance where the unsettled Diakite's brace earnt us a draw; Jonathan McCarthy and Marco Vacca also shined.

Final League Table

Same position as last season, with just 4 points fewer. Considering how much poorer I believe we were, it represents quite the achievement.

Positions Graph

Similar trend to last season, but relegation always looked a possibility until about 6 games to go when we got some vital, vital wins.

Stats

A stats page full of surprises for me; I had no idea Vacca was so good in the air, or that Benitez was anything other than dreadful. No player really stands out though.

Squad (End Of Season)

Much more of a settled first team this season, but strangely our form didn't match it.

Finances (End Of Season)

Much more settled finances also, and the new 15k capacity Oxford City Stadium should see us really expand in terms of capital available.

FA Cup

Embarassing, pathetic, every word you want to use. The worst cup defeat I've ever had in FM, and what's more we never looked like beating the non-league team.

League Cup

Drama at Gillingham and we took the lead at Portsmouth but in the end their class, and our defensive frailties showed and they grabbed a late win.

Key Players

Sander Kroonstrom

Surprise of the season. Signed him optimistically on a free from Levadia and he played with superb composure to steady midfield and offer his set piece skills as well.

Karl Henry

Midfield ballwinner, he had a slow start but grew in stature to impress and keep club legend Al Bangura out of the side. He was released at the end of the season as his age meant he was fading too quickly in games.

Alassane Zoundi

His annoyingly low stamina is all that holds him back - he has tremendous ability but he causes what I like to call the 'MR problem'; we have a choice between Zoundi, who rarely lasts a game, Karakas, who would be wasted on the wing when he does so much good work up front, and the unproven Jonathon McCarthy.

Oguzhan Karakas

Unbelievable skill on the ball and surprising work rate. Has the thankless task of leading the line in a below-par team and does so with merit. Scored some fantastic goals with his feet and with his head, and I hate to imagine where we would be if I hadn't signed him.

Marco Antonioli

Popped up with important goals in his second season on loan from us, much better than his stats suggest but I doubt he will be an Oxford City player next season.

Season    League                   Position       Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Blue Square North            2nd         Promoted via play-offs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier         11th        -
2012/13   Blue Square Premier         3rd          Promoted via play-offs
2013/14   Coca Cola League 2         7th          Promoted via play-offs
2014/15   Coca Cola League 1         16th        -
2015/16   Coca Cola League 1         2nd         Promoted
2016/17   Coca Cola Championship   13th        -
2017/18   Coca Cola Championship   13th        -

Next Season

I believe we should be able to attract enough quality next season to stay up...we just need a better defence. If we fail to improve on a part of our team which has relied on loan players at this level, we will really struggle.

Season    League                   Position       Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Blue Square North            2nd         Promoted via play-offs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier          11th           -
2012/13   Blue Square Premier          3rd         Promoted via play-offs
2013/14   Coca Cola League 2           7th         Promoted via play-offs
2014/15   Coca Cola League 1           16th           -
2015/16   Coca Cola League 1           2nd         Promoted
2016/17   Coca Cola Championship       13th           -
2017/18   Coca Cola Championship       13th           -

Great the first time I score more than once in the League this season I manage to give a 3-0 lead away to draw 3-3 :( - the change to 4-4-2 has made us more attacking but throwing away a three nil lead wasn't in the plan, though it doesn't help that both my first choice centre-backs are injured aswell as two of my first choice midfielders :(

Boreham Wood FC – Coca Cola League Two - 2013/14

Pre-season, the target didn’t really change all that much. Survival was a must, and I wanted to improve on my position last year, but I thought the playoffs were probably a little outside the realms of possibility.

League Table

League Positions Graph

It was a tough second season at this level. In all honesty I think my transfer dealings probably made the team worse not better. The target of finishing higher than last year was more than achievable and for most of the season we were hovering around 18th place. A crucial last day win meant that we ended up 7 points better off, and 5 places higher, than last season. That looks like a success but I’m not sure it is...

The e.on FA Cup – a predictable but pretty nasty thrashing by Doncaster.

The Carling Cup – ran Pompey close. Not bad as they were chasing promotion to the Premiership.

The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – Brighton won League Two by 16 points, so this was no disgrace.

Transfers – we were in a bit of a mess financially this season which is why there are a lot of outward loans – they were all on 100% of wages deals, which did cut our wage costs significantly. The loss of Harsanyi for three months from late January was the major talking point, but he hadn’t been having a particularly good season by his standards.

Squad – Clearly not enough consistent performers here. Parnaby’s emergence was the bright spot and the academy product will be playing up front for a few years here. Just three players averaging over 7, and one of them was not a regular. It needs to improve. Especially as both of them are strikers.

Key Player Profiles:

Peter Parnaby – Easily my player of the season – established himself and will lead the line here for a while.

Jamie Robins – had the best scoring ratio but we need someone better to be honest, someone who can knock in 20+ goals in a season. How can I find an affordable player to improve on Robins?

Nat Wedderburn – on loan from Stoke, he did a job for us, though with attributes like his, surely he should have taken League Two by storm? I cant imagine I could get much better players on loan at this level?

Ben Owen – still our best defender but he still can’t really get up to League Two standard.

Grant Lees – a graduate of the academy from the year after Parnaby, Lees is only on here because he made somewhat of a breakthrough this year and looks like a decent prospect. Scored a couple of big goals, too.

Records Broken this Season: (a new section this season – I think it has its place in these posts, but let me know if they’re unnecessary)

Highest League Position: 15th in League Two

Highest Gate Receipts: £65,000 v. Doncaster, FA Cup, 9.11.13

Most Games Without Scoring: 6 – 9.11.13 to 7.12.13

Oldest Player: Che Wilson 35y113d v. Wycombe, 10.5.14

Highest Transfer Fee Received: £85,000, Craig Moore to Bristol City, 31.7.13

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Points Total   Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Blue Square South          1st            92        Promoted as Champions
2011/12   Blue Square Premier        5th            83        Promoted as Playoff Winners
2012/13   Coca Cola League 2        20th            53        -
2013/14   Coca Cola League 2        15th            60        - 

Next Season

Again we threw away a lot of points late on in games. Despite getting a small amount more points, I think this was probably a step backwards. The strikers weren’t really firing and the defence was far too leaky. But the thing is it is very hard to find players who are of sufficient quality to properly improve the side. Not for lack of trying – my wage bill soared this season. But there just doesn’t seem to be anyone affordable who is up to scratch in this league. How can I rectify this?

GreyedOutMan, keep with it, i had several seasons hovering in the lower reaches of L2 before getting promotion one season.

What formation do you play? You clearly need more of a goal threat and a tighter defence.

Parnaby and Lees look quite promising, Robins doesn't look enough for this level.

It could just be your tactics, the lack of yellow and red cards makes me think not enough tackles are being put in.

It also be your midfield that needs changing rather than the strikers either with different players or by playing with a dm/am approach or if 2 cm's setting one to be defensive and tackling and staying back and the other attacking with foward runs.

I use a 4132 and have done since L2. My first season in CCC aside where I had a torrid time and got relegated, it's been superb. I'm doing amazingly well in the CCC this time round, 5th place having been hovering between 2nd and 5th all season. I'm only 5 points off third. I dont score an amazing amount, but its defensively very good.

EDIT: When I say a 4132, I dont have any wingers, I play narrow and through the middle with a short passing style, hence not so many goals, but sound defensively.

I've played a 442 since the start with 1 cm defensive and the other pushing foward, the wingers also pushing foward. i then have a poacher and advanced foward up front.

I also play with aggresive tackling so i pick up a lot of yellows and reds.

One of my best players usually gets 20-30 yellows a season and a few reds, still he often stays fresh as he is suspended for 10 games a season :D

Chelseadaft Ashford (Middx) Season 6 2015/16 League One - Promoted!!!

Remember how I said I let all my players from the season before go after their 1 year contracts had expired and then proceeded to plough through every single Premier League, Championship and League One sides released players to build a side to stabilise in League One in my first season?.

Guess what, just finished second and we are automatically promoted which is unbelieveable!!! :D:thup:

The way I play this game is purely and simply down to trust. I utilise my Ass Man's views on all the players and scouts. Basically for every league I am in I try and get hold of "good player" or "Leading Star" or even "Good player for the League above me".

This is what I did during the summer. I was faced with a difficult decision. After sealing 3 Championships in five years the board hadn't budged. My staduim (coming into this season) was still 2550 capacity and I knew my finances were always going to be a nightmare.

The wage budget was still there so edited the budget and reduced the transfer budget to 0 to allow extra into my wage budget. We had just over £14,000 a week available and I had managed to bring in a couple of good signings on £875 a week. The problem i was then faced with was players who I knew could take me to the next level wanting the likes of £2900 -£1900 per week and I knew it was going to be a struggle.

So these are the players I relased and brought into the club. I had good enough quality and in most positions were rated 3 stars / pushing into 4 stars and my Ass Man had said we had a good enough squad to achieve what is required of us, which was avoid relegation.

I also brought into the club some loan signings. This guy was my star from Man Utd. My board didn't see the point of a parent club which is strange. This guy has lead me to promotion and there is no two ways about it.

It too the side a while to pick up our form and when I brought this guy in from Chelsea for 3 months he gave us some stability in defence to build on while I continued to look for players.

I had no interest in the cup competitions at all. I was hoping the board would come up trumps and invest in the club. Twice this season they put money into the club to help with the running costs. First of all £150k was put in the club and then £55k towards the end of the season.

My tactic is still the same. Because of the jump up a division I changed my starting mentality to Standard but after a while i knew we were good enough to continue our attack minded mentality. Once i reverted back to the settings that have carried us this far we took off.

We lost the odd game and drew the odd game here and there but once we got going and with our star man up front we were flying. So it came to the last three games of the season and we were in second and Preston were a single point behind us. We had to play away and two home games. I thought we would blow it to be honest they would pip me to automatic promotion but we won 2 and drew the other one to seal promotion!

Its been my biggest achievement in this challenge through all the years I have been doing it. I am well pleased. We received this payment for finishing second. Then I realised I had offered the players a high bonus for the league and cup and that was confirmed with this message I received from the board. My finances are now in a serious state!

Then to my relief I received this message finally about the stadium!. Then read it again and realised that it will only be finished another year from now so still have to play in my little old 2550 stadium in the Championship in my first season. I am hoping that someone comes and invests into the club otherwise we are in serious debt.

Anyway, enough of that for now. Here are the players that have done the business for me this season!.

GK Henderson / Walsh

DR Neilson / Kelly

DL Johansson / Barron

DC Baldwin

DC Lopez / Blake

DMC Silva / Tudor Jones

MC Brittain

MC Gleeson

AMC McCormack / Bostock

FC Goodwin

FC O'Brien / Vanaschen

Roll on the Championship! Just hope the debt wont cost me my job!

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Blue Square South        1st         Champions!
2011/12   Blue Square Premier      3rd         Lost in Playoff Semis
2012/13   Blue Square Premier      1st         Champions!
2013/14   League Two               10th        None
2014/15   League Two               1st         Champions!
2015/16   League One               2nd         Promoted

Just been showing my father in law the game he's not a games player! As I went to my league history to show him, I found my league positions are all messed up :((

No accurate history!

Tooting & Mitcham United FC - Barclays Premier League - 2054/55

The all-T&M dream came crashing to an end last season with a shock defeat by Austria, this made my mind up that it was time to go back into the transfer market and try and bring this club back to the level it was some time ago.

League Table

League Positions Graph

It was far from spectacular, but with so many changes to the squad I think winning it was a great result.

Community Shield - absolute domination.

Carling Cup - still no luck in this competition as Liverpool knocked us out for the second year in a row.

FA Cup - it felt like a repeat of last season as we crashed out in the semi final.

UEFA Champions League - Zenit were the only team to take points off us in the group stage. We had narrow wins against Sevilla, Man City and Lyon which took us to the final. An early goal made it look easy but Porto hit back and it took a last minute dodgy penalty to win it for us for the first time in six years.

Squad - big changes here, so this was something of a transitional season. I can't wait for next season as I hope we can still improve.

Transfers - the new players have been described already, but there was also a bit of a clearout.

Key Player Profiles:

Paul Moran - despite all the changes, we still have the same top scorer.

Luis Fernández - expensive, but well worth it for the goals from midfield.

Sebastiano Costacurta - the new hope, who didn't really impress.

Hasan Aydin - he couldn't really fail.

Dorian Falkenberg - a good solid season, and a few goals.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
2010/11   Blue Square South        5th         Promoted via playoffs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier      8th
2012/13   Blue Square Premier      2nd         Promoted via playoffs, FA Trophy finalists
2013/14   Coca-Cola League 2       6th         Lost in playoff final
2014/15   Coca-Cola League 2       1st         Promoted as champions
2015/16   Coca-Cola League 1       4th         Promoted via playoffs, JPT finalists
2016/17   Coca-Cola Championship   9th
2017/18   Coca-Cola Championship   6th         Lost in playoff semi
2018/19   Coca-Cola Championship   4th         Promoted via playoffs
2019/20   Barclays Premier League  16th        
2020/21   Barclays Premier League  11th
2021/22   Barclays Premier League  3rd         FA Cup finalists
2022/23   Barclays Premier League  7th         Carling Cup finalists, FA Cup winners
2023/24   Barclays Premier League  3rd
2024/25   Barclays Premier League  5th         Champions League finalists
2025/26   Barclays Premier League  3rd         Carling Cup finalists
2026/27   Barclays Premier League  2nd
2027/28   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and Champions League winners
2028/29   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL, CL and CWC winners, Carling Cup finalists
2029/30   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL, CL, CWC, FA Cup and Carling Cup winners
2030/31   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL, CL, CWC, and Carling Cup winners
2031/32   Barclays Premier League  3rd         Club World Cup winners
2032/33   Barclays Premier League  2nd         FA and Carling Cup winners
2033/34   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL, CL and Carling Cup winners
2034/35   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL, CWC FA and Carling Cup winners
2035/36   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL, CL, FA Cup and Carling Cup winners
2036/37   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and Club World Cup winners
2037/38   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and Champions League winners
2038/39   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and Club World Cup winners
2039/40   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League winners and FA Cup finalists
2040/41   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and Carling Cup winners, Champions league finalists
2041/42   Barclays Premier League  3rd         FA Cup and Champions League winners
2042/43   Barclays Premier League  5th         Club World Cup winners
2043/44   Barclays Premier League  2nd         Carling Cup and Europa League winners
2044/45   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League winners and Carling Cup finalists
2045/46   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and FA Cup winners, Champions League finalists
2046/47   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League winners and FA Cup finalists
2047/48   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and Champions League winners
2048/49   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL, CL, CWC, and FA Cup winners
2049/50   Barclays Premier League  2nd         Club World Cup winners
2050/51   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League winners, FA Cup and CL finalists
2051/52   Barclays Premier League  4th    
2052/53   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League winners, FA Cup finalists
2053/54   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League winners
2054/55   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League and Champions League winners

Next Season

We are well and truly back. Withe the new squad settling I am hoping that the team can go on to even greater things and hopefully start bringing in the trophies once again.

The finances have taken a huge hit, with a loss of £176m this season but my stadium loan has just ended so hopefully things will improve.

No news from Tunisia yet, but are the hosts for the next Cup of Nations.

Thought I'd post my two tactics on here for you to see exactly what I'm doing and tell me what could be adjusted. I have already set the tackling to "aggressive" on the basis that I'm not getting many Y/R cards so I can afford to. Any other recommended adjustments? Id like to keep my wingers because I have a fair few decent ones, but I'm happy to listen to thoughts. Just bear in mind what I have in my squad (see my last post). I could get a few more players in, but I'd like to keep the majority of the team the same as I need some stability.

I've called them "Home" and "Away" as a guide, but actually I dont use them that rigidly - it depends on form, opposition etc...though in general I use "Home" more at home, and "Away" more away from home.

Home Tactic

Away Tactic

Thoughts?

Hmm - was expecting a few more titles and fewer Champions League titles than that. Can be misleading in a list. Can I suggest you post this screen every 5 years or so?

And you've lost a lot fewer finals than you've won, so stop complaining. I make it something like 66 major (cup) trophies to, in fact, 21 final defeats. Thats a pretty good record in finals.....

Hmm - was expecting a few more titles and fewer Champions League titles than that. Can be misleading in a list. Can I suggest you post this screen every 5 years or so?

And you've lost a lot fewer finals than you've won, so stop complaining. I make it something like 66 major (cup) trophies to, in fact, 21 final defeats. Thats a pretty good record in finals.....

I've won 21 titles, which still isn't the most in English football in my game (Man Utd with 22).

I wasn't counting the one off games, just the full tournaments. I shouldn't complain really but when I've been clear favourites in most of them it is a pain to lose so many, even if it is just a quarter.

Boreham Wood FC – Coca Cola League Two - 2013/14

Next Season

Again we threw away a lot of points late on in games. Despite getting a small amount more points, I think this was probably a step backwards. The strikers weren’t really firing and the defence was far too leaky. But the thing is it is very hard to find players who are of sufficient quality to properly improve the side. Not for lack of trying – my wage bill soared this season. But there just doesn’t seem to be anyone affordable who is up to scratch in this league. How can I rectify this?

I find League Two is a good place to sit for a few years and try and build your club up - there is only two relegation spots and the top 7 can get promoted, going upto League One before you are ready can be a bad idea (two many relegation spots and high chances of ex-premiership teams).

As long as you aren't in threat of relegation I'd concentrate on trying to get some cup runs to bring in money and increase your reputation.

Players wise scout Ireland and France if you can, otherwise scout and trial as many released players as you can - start on the positions you are weak in and concentrate on the attributes for the role you want the player to play. I found the best time to sign released players was towards the end of the season March-June (after the transfer window has closed but before the season update) as if a player cannot find another club he may just be deseperate enough to play for you.

OK will bear that in mind. Though not sure how I can "concentrate on cup runs" - the thing is you come up against a decent side and usually I get tonked. Frankly, as soon as I draw anyone in the Championship or above (or even L1 really), I write off that cup for the season....

Am now scouting both Ireland and France :-)

Whilst I do concentrate on the things that are important for the role (e.g. strength and tackling for DCs), Im also trying to bear in mind that I need players who are decent all-rounders too. How much should I weight key attributes? If I find a defender who is ridiculously slow and generally unfit but a fantastic tackler, is he likely to do the biz?

Whilst I do concentrate on the things that are important for the role (e.g. strength and tackling for DCs), Im also trying to bear in mind that I need players who are decent all-rounders too. How much should I weight key attributes? If I find a defender who is ridiculously slow and generally unfit but a fantastic tackler, is he likely to do the biz?

Usually I find that the odd great key attribute is enough in the lower leagues, although I would always look for decent physical attributes first. If he's slow and he can't jump then I wouldn't think about signing him at centre back.

Pretty late to this challenge but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. After realising I didn't load top players with Horsham I restarted as Bradford PA (I love their home kit colours).

Playing with all the rules in place, though attribute masking (which I don't usually use) made the beginning off-season a huge headache (I think during my first Horsham game I trialed about 30 players at once). :p

Premiership here we come, scraped through via the play-offs, but hey i won't moan!

...unlike Dafuge, moaning about losing the occasional final :p

This game is so frustrating! My side looks decent at the moment but every game is a struggle, and most of them I end up losing :(

Also - why is it that when you get players on loan who are clearly too good for your level, and you could never sign permanently, they ALWAYS do badly? I have four such players this season. Average ratings? 5.40, 6.12, 6.20 and 6.80!! Pathetic!

Archived