Steam Problems FAQ and Basic Crash Troubleshooting

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can i ask a question

If i install steam and activate 2012 when its released . Can i then set it to offline mode and then block steam from accessing the internet via my firewall and still be able to play Fm2012 . or does steam need access to the internet still to allow me to play even though its offline mode

there is no need to block it , wen you set it to off-line mode it wont try to connect to the Internet

I unfortunately have had to use steam on a couple of other games and despite it being in offline mode i still found out it had started up and was accessing the internet thats why i asked if the game will still play with steam blocked . much like Origin by Ea i do not trust or want third party unneccessary programmes trying to connect to the internet

I unfortunately have had to use steam on a couple of other games and despite it being in offline mode i still found out it had started up and was accessing the internet thats why i asked if the game will still play with steam blocked . much like Origin by Ea i do not trust or want third party unneccessary programmes trying to connect to the internet

If your steam client is fully upto date before you attempt to set it offline, you shouldnt have any problems. Offline mode is Offline mode, there isnt a secondary mode that is secretly online while "Offline"

I have an SSD and a normal hard drive without knowing what I was doing when I first got my new PC I installed steam on the SSD. Is there anyway I can set steam to install games on the drive that steam is not installed on?

@AcidBurn no but you can do this :

1-copy your steamapps folder to another hard-drive

2-remove steam

3-install steam on the other hard-drive ( don't login after install , just install it l )

4-copy steamapps to the new installation folder

5-login on your account and your done moved installation without downloading again your games :)

Great to see Steam enhances the game so well for so many!

It's called 'progress'. :)

....Think yourself lucky, when I started PC gaming we had to go through hoops to install YOUR game and then play it when YOU wanted. You had to put the disc in and then double click on some icon, then once installed you had to put the damn CD back in and click a different icon and hey presto. Then you finally got to play it!

I can't even get into steam! Trying to set up an account, it then refuses to recognise my username and password. I requested a new password to be e-mailed, but nothing has happened.

Had all sorts of problems with steam last time around, really not sure I'll bother with FM12 until after Christmas.

I have an SSD and a normal hard drive without knowing what I was doing when I first got my new PC I installed steam on the SSD. Is there anyway I can set steam to install games on the drive that steam is not installed on?
3rd post: http://boards.ign.com/pc_general_board/b5027/182372150/p1/

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

I can't even get into steam! Trying to set up an account, it then refuses to recognise my username and password. I requested a new password to be e-mailed, but nothing has happened.

Had all sorts of problems with steam last time around, really not sure I'll bother with FM12 until after Christmas.

is your account activated?

is your account activated?

I don't know. I followed the steps to set it up with no problems, then went to download the game and it asked me to log in. Then it didn't recognise me. I'll try setting up a new account over the weekend if I get chance.

yes login on steam at work and start downloading , wen you finish just copy the steamappsfolder ( inside steam folder ) to a usb pen drive and then copy it to your home computer ( with steam turned off ) , wen the copy its done start steam and your good to go

btw your need a 4GB pen drive

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section to post this in, because I'm not certain if it's a Steam problem or not.

So, I've been playing FM since 2007 without Steam and I've never encountered an error or anything. I downloaded Steam for the demo and then downloaded the demo, after impatiently waiting for nearly 2 hours it finally finished and when I went to open it I got this error:

fm12error.jpg

After reading around, I tried several solutions like "verifying the integrity of the game cache", which never worked. So I deleted and re-downloaded again in the hope it would work the second time, it never. After more reading I found the FAQ post on here and the only problem I could see on there applicable to my situation was about having BitDefender enabled, I added the fm.exe file to the list of exclusions and tried again but to no success.

So I tried deleting and downloading again, and it never worked. Tried a few other things plus I also checked the Spec and Requirements needed to run the demo, mines all exceed the necessary requirements. I tried a fourth and final time to delete and re-download and of course it never worked again and I got the same error message.

Any solutions before I give up and return to FIFA? :(

try updating directx and your video card drivrers ,

very odd that its giving you a crash dump at start , turn off bitdefender completely

What's the best way to update video card drivers? I checked out my DirectX version, it's 11. Should that need updated?

Right I downloaded that DirectX download. I checked my video card for any updates (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650) and couldn't find any and I turned off BitDefender when I tried loading FM up.... And it never worked. :(

Personally, I would try a restart on your computer and then hit the demo icon - it might go throught a small update, but then you should be good to go...

A serious error was encountered and the application will close.An error file has been generated in: C:\Users\...\documents\sports interactive\football manager 2012 demo\crash dumps\fm 2012 demo V12.0.1.225828 (2011.10.0717.13.36)dmp I have followed all the listed procedures but the demo it doesn't work! Help me pls!!!

try verifying game cache

-Load Steam

-From the My Games tab, right-click on FM2011 and select Properties from the menu.

-Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.

-Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.

-Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Step Two: Restart Steam

Step Three: Verify Game Cache again

It should now re-download any damaged files

I have 2 pc, in that of 2001 it works, and I don't have anything of adjourned, but it is very slow, in the laptop computer it doesn't work and it is everything adjourned, the drivers of the video card are adjourned, therefore I don't believe both a problem of requisite, considering that in that computers old it works

I´ve downloaded the demo fine, but when I open the game to play it (via Steam or the shortcut on the desktop) nothing opens but Steam starts counting my time played and when I try again I´m told that the game is already running and when I try to shut down Steam it tells me to close the game first. I´ve uninstalled and reinstalled and gone through the advice on the Steam troubleshooting blog and nothing works. I´m using Windows 7 starter on a Acer netbook (with more than enough memory) is that my problem?

Archived