Why does my game always run slow with a Quad Core processor

FM2009 runs fine on my PC. I'm using a Quadcore, 4Gb RAM and Windows 7 RC. It's not as blazingly fast as I'd wish, but then again.. I'm using way more leagues than before!

If you know how, adjust your RAM settings in the bios slightly. Makes a big difference on games that use alot of RAM, such as FM, WoW in Dalaran, etc.

FM2009 runs fine on my PC. I'm using a Quadcore, 4Gb RAM and Windows 7 RC. It's not as blazingly fast as I'd wish, but then again.. I'm using way more leagues than before!

If you know how, adjust your RAM settings in the bios slightly. Makes a big difference on games that use alot of RAM, such as FM, WoW in Dalaran, etc.

what do you change in the bios?

Saxonaitor.

You must be really unlucky! My comp only has one processor, 512mb RAM and 128mb graphics, but I can run England (L2 & above), Germany(all 3), France(3rd div & above) and Spain(all) on a medium database.

My "recomended set-up" is England L2 and above:rolleyes: but I can, at a push, run the above! Admittedly I run it on commentary only as the 3d is somewhat jerky but it still works as long as I run absolutely nothing else and feed the hamster more speed than it can handle to keep the computer cogs turning!!

• SI Staff

A few things to point out...

First off, we don't support a "huge" database option, so no testing will have been done on this. The database sizes we support are small, medium and large, and that's what will have been tested, so I have no idea what kind of computer would be needed to run a "huge" database.

As regards threads and multi-processors, we got given an award by Intel earlier this year for being one of the best games on the market for utilising multiple cores with speed increasing hugely when more processors were added, including being tested by them on the new i7 processors. So we are certainly utilising more processing power via multi-cores than most games...

I have a quad core machine at home, and FM09 is certainly very fast on that compared to the same set up on my work dual core machine. RAM is less important - once you're above 3GB, there's no real difference.

My advice would be to stop using the "huge" database "option". I don't personally understand why anyone would want to - it adds unnecessary bloat to the game, and the amount of extra players with the leagues you are running there would make no difference at all, as they'd mainly be too bad to play for any of the teams in those leagues anyway!

A few things to point out...

First off, we don't support a "huge" database option, so no testing will have been done on this. The database sizes we support are small, medium and large, and that's what will have been tested, so I have no idea what kind of computer would be needed to run a "huge" database.

As regards threads and multi-processors, we got given an award by Intel earlier this year for being one of the best games on the market for utilising multiple cores with speed increasing hugely when more processors were added, including being tested by them on the new i7 processors. So we are certainly utilising more processing power via multi-cores than most games...

I have a quad core machine at home, and FM09 is certainly very fast on that compared to the same set up on my work dual core machine. RAM is less important - once you're above 3GB, there's no real difference.

My advice would be to stop using the "huge" database "option". I don't personally understand why anyone would want to - it adds unnecessary bloat to the game, and the amount of extra players with the leagues you are running there would make no difference at all, as they'd mainly be too bad to play for any of the teams in those leagues anyway!

ok i will try that thanks for posting, i do notice alot of the useless players on the huge DB never heard about the award good news:thup:

I also have a quad core and it runs well (all the way into 2030+). I did notice that the UI was unresponsive in the earlier patches but the latest seems to have sorted that out. I play with large DB by the way and around 15 leagues.

It doesn't matter if you have a billion cores if your FSB data transfer rate is 1 bit per second. It doesn't matter if your FSB is infinate bits per second if your RAM operates at 1Hz.

From what I have read my 3.6 Ghz core 2 Duo, 2 GB Corsair and ASUS P5W series from 3 years ago is the fastest machine on these forums. Seems like all the effort I put into matching and maximising data transfer rates paid off afterall.

"I don't understand computers, it's the game's fault. I don't understand tactics, it's the game's fault."

Unfortunately SI seem to be encouraging this behaviour.

My specs are:-

AMD Phenom Quad Core X4 940 3Ghz Processor

2GB Ram

320GB Sata 16MB Cache Hard Drive

Very similar to my set up and I have no issue with speed (and I'm 25+ seasons in and running a few leagues).

Could it be a virus, malware or spyware? Or software conflict (Norton AV used to kill my wife's processing speed)? Are you running a lot of programs in the background?

I have changed my RAM settings in the BIOS as well, and i've set them as fast as i can. No huge database. No antivirus. Un-needed services disabled. I want to do more with my computer to see if i can make it better, but it seems like there's nothing more to do.

Is there any way to "tell FM" to use more of the processor apart from affinity in task manager? Because that's the only way to go for me, if the game is going to process faster.

UI responsiveness is much better than on the earlier patches, but it's still so-so at times. Even with hardly anything going on in the background.

From what I have read my 3.6 Ghz core 2 Duo, 2 GB Corsair and ASUS P5W series from 3 years ago is the fastest machine on these forums.

I wouldn't bet on it. ;)

I'm running FM 09 on a Core 2 Quad powered machine with 4GB of DDR2 RAM and the game runs at incredible speed.

As for the OP, maybe the fact that you are running Windows 7 could be an issue as that's a new OS and there could be strings and what not that would cause it to not run as smooth as it would on a previous OS? Just a thought.

I dual-boot XP and Vista and have tested the game on both operating systems and it seems to run a bit quicker on XP, so that might be something to think about.

Hope you are able to work it out.

I wouldn't bet on it. ;)

I'm running FM 09 on a Core 2 Quad powered machine with 4GB of DDR2 RAM and the game runs at incredible speed.

As for the OP, maybe the fact that you are running Windows 7 could be an issue as that's a new OS and there could be strings and what not that would cause it to not run as smooth as it would on a previous OS? Just a thought.

I dual-boot XP and Vista and have tested the game on both operating systems and it seems to run a bit quicker on XP, so that might be something to think about.

Hope you are able to work it out.

what leagues you got running?

Try this and tell me if it works - set it to a higher priority in task manager and see if the processor usage goes up

I had this problem on my quad core where it was only using a small amount of my processors - turned out that it was some sort of power and/or heat management interfering with the process unnecessarily, when i set it to a higher priority it seemed to ignore the management and was using a much higher percentage of my processor

Eventually worked out how to turn it off, but i would have to find the details again

Please find the details :p

Tried the priority setting as well, but it didn't work for me. I keep it on normal again. I got the best result there. I haven't tried it while trying W7 though. Probably have to give it a go to see if it works.

I'm running the game on a core i7 and it's running pretty fast.

I think the huge database option will slow the game down as stated earlier. Maybe it's an idea to use ddt-files to retain more players? It's doing the trick for me tbh

The huge database is a bit of a risk, as its unsupported.

My game, for some reason, when it is installed, always runs quicker with the threading option unticked on my AMD X2 6000+ ( 2 x 3ghz)

I'm sure I've seen one of the lead game desigeners (Paul C?) Say that they had issues with the threading in FM09.

Considering that the game runs faster with threading unticked on both my dual core laptop and dual core desktop, I would say that certainly seems to be the case.

I've also seen a large number of complaints over the months here about the game running slowly on a myriad of different quad core machines with over 2gb of RAM, so something certainly isn't right there either, so I think Miles is being a bit too dismissive, but then again, that's Miles for you when it comes to technical issues in FM.

when it comes to performance, one of the biggest issues is that people mean different things by 'fast'.

FM09 runs in a way that I would term 'quickly' on my desktop but not in a way that I would call 'satisfactory' - the ui randomly becomes less responsive, often needing two mouse clicks to achieve team selection for instance, the game randomly freezes (still) every so often for 30 seconds or more. Processing rarely lasts over the odds though, I think the most i've ever waited for processing is around 40 seconds with a large database.

That being said, the reason why it is unsatisfactory is that FM09 is at least 40% slower than 08, for no discernable reason when it comes to processing times. There was a fantastic thread where someone compared processing times between the two titles a month or so ago that showed the results plain as day.

Quad Core 9550(2.8ghz) 4 GIG Ram 1 GIG Video Card Geforce 9600

I run top 2 divisions in 12 nations. Runs quick - I do however ensure my pc is defragged and updated.

See, it really is no use to just say "quick" for reasons I stated above. It does no good in this discussion because "quick" is an opinion, and one person's "quick" is another's "slow".

I do agree though that defragging helps a lot with the speed of the game, particularly on save files that are large.

• 2 weeks later...

Just switched to my new PC - Intel i7Core 920 and 3GB triple-channel 1600MHZ RAM (Will be 6GB when Windows 7 gets installed).

The leagues I am running are:

Belgium

Bulgaria

Croatia

Czech Republic

Denmark

England

France

Germany

Greece

Italy

Holland

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

Argentina

Brazil

They are all set to the top division only apart from England which has Coca-Cola and above. This is also with a Large database, though I have match detail set to NONE on everything but the league I'm managing in, which is on ALL.

I have to say it runs fecking fast! It flies through the boot-up sequnce when you start the game. Everything is virtually instant when you click on things and the 3D match-engine runs nice and smooth even with all the stadiums, etc ticked.

Oh and I've only just realised there is a threading option and ticked it so it should be even faster! :o :D

Archived