The FM08 Career Thread

I would have posted a big game one, but the fact that all the post seem to be about "bottom" clubs, i had been dettered.

I'm not sure about splitting the thread. I think it would depend on how many people were posting in each thread

I think with the way this thread has gone, someone managing a big club from he start would look a bit out of place, just because no one has done it before. Splitting it would mean that people are discussing their games with people playing under similar conditions, which would mean no ones game would be out of place.

If it is used, the threads have the potential to be massive, people all over the forums have bee mentioning the need for a place to discuss their games without necessarily being part of a challenge/LLM/story etc.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your looking to enhance the interest in this forum then this would probably a good idea. I think if you make it clear in the thread title, what type of career thread it is, i.e Big Club or Lower League Beginnings, then that would be ideal. Would there be a possibility of having links at the top of the each thread to direct users to the other careers threads if they accidentally post in the wrong thread. Just an idea.

So, would this then become the CCSE Forum? (Careers, Challenges, Sign-Ups and Exeriments) ;)

Seriously though, adding that to the thread title and having a few career threads as you suggested could attract more users here and then the 'mini challenge' ideas could take off as well.

How about starting a thread up now for a 'big club' career? It might give a good indication of how successful it will be when the new game comes out.

It would be quite interesting to see which forum the threads would end up in though.

It could be here as it's sort of a challange to take over underperforming clubs.

Lower league could end up in LLM ( although not everyone plays by thier rules)

It could be in the stories section

or possibly even GPTG

If your looking to enhance the interest in this forum then this would probably a good idea. I think if you make it clear in the thread title, what type of career thread it is, i.e Big Club or Lower League Beginnings, then that would be ideal. Would there be a possibility of having links at the top of the each thread to direct users to the other careers threads if they accidentally post in the wrong thread. Just an idea.

Enhancing the interest in the forum is only part of it, more importantly there isn't a place on the forums anywhere where people can go to discuss their games regardless of how they are playing, I think there should be. Opening this thread up and splitting it into threads like 'Big Club Save Game Discussion' could do both.

Each thread would obviously have to have a few rough guidelines at the top which outline what sort of games belong in which thread, but it would be pretty hard to draw a fine line so it might be best top just let user choose which thread is most appropriate.

The thing is i started a new career game for the umpteenth time and have started at a medium club, Estudiantes in Argentina, i forgot about it but just gone back to it. When i finished my first season i would have posted in the Career Thread without a moments hesitation.

Weeeman i don't think the new threads should be moved into other forums, no way would LLM accept a new thread playing to someone elses rules into their forum. And GPTG, i think the new thread would get abused by worthless minions who would complete a season and not post again. But yet again thats what i think.

It would be quite interesting to see which forum the threads would end up in though.

It could be here as it's sort of a challange to take over underperforming clubs.

Lower league could end up in LLM ( although not everyone plays by thier rules)

It could be in the stories section

or possibly even GPTG

I'm thinking here would be the best place since we are not bound to the forum description as strictly as some of the other forums are.

This would have nothing to do with the LLM forum and there should be no link made between the two, people want an alternative to LLM when managing small clubs and this could be it.

Again, the stories forum has a very specific style, which people don't always want to follow. I'm thinking about the very informal style of update that people use in here, along with the general discussion that goes with it.

GPTG already have something similar in the club threads, there is a possibility that the game discussion could move out of those just leaving the player discussion. This raises another problem, those threads in GPTG are huge, if they were all combined to one 'big clubs' thread it could become enourmous.

Good luck Proccy, you've got enough games there to turn the 2 point gap over. If you're above 11th do you then play against the top teams for the last few games or has that part already been decided?

The World Cup games have been drawn...DR of Congo were seeded 3rd! So I'm in a group with Sweden, Japan and...yes...Argentina! So two teams I've already played competively recently, and gotten points from.

Gl in the world cup :thup:

When you get to 33 games (playing each team 3 times) the league then splits so you play 5 extra games against the teams in your half, if that makes sense.

With 3 games to go now I am now in 11th after a fantastic 2-0 victory away at Aberdeen. This was after getting beaten in the 95th minute (only supposed to be 4 mins) by Hearts after having a man sent off in the 1st half and my keeper getting a 9 rating after holding out for so long.

It's gonna be very exciting as my last game of the season is away to Dundee, so I have to make the most of my home games against Inverness and St Mirren.

Well, the season is over and...........I stayed up!

Just.

I managed to lose both the home games (see above post) by one infuriating goal to nil. But Dundee lost their games too so it came down to the final match at Dens Park. We played brilliantly, winning 4-1 with Juho Makela scoring all 4.

Now for rebuilding!

After no players want to come to the club and my £2 million whittled down to a mere £250k I have resigned and rejoined the world of international management to the land of Lordi, Jari Litmanen and I'm sure plenty of others too. That's right folks. FINLAND!! My task, qualifying for the 2014 World Cup with Italy in my group.

Well, the season is over and...........I stayed up!

Just.

I managed to lose both the home games (see above post) by one infuriating goal to nil. But Dundee lost their games too so it came down to the final match at Dens Park. We played brilliantly, winning 4-1 with Juho Makela scoring all 4.

Now for rebuilding!

Congrats on staying up. Makela sounds like he could do the buisiness for you.

Good luck with qualifying as well. It's going to be tough with Italy there but if you can get some points off them and not drop too many in the other matches you could make it.

My game just crashed....and I hadn't saved. So I've lost the last two wins...and since replaying them have drawn and won. So I've lost 2 points :( It doesn't seem like a huge amount but it's tight at the point. Those extra points could have been useful.

Interestingly the World Cup groups were drawn again and I got exactly the same teams, with exactly the same fixtures. So I still play Argentina 'away' and Sweden at 'home'. The other groups are quite different though. Must be because of the seeding I guess.

Congrats on staying up. Makela sounds like he could do the buisiness for you.

Good luck with qualifying as well. It's going to be tough with Italy there but if you can get some points off them and not drop too many in the other matches you could make it.

My game just crashed....and I hadn't saved. So I've lost the last two wins...and since replaying them have drawn and won. So I've lost 2 points :( It doesn't seem like a huge amount but it's tight at the point. Those extra points could have been useful.

Interestingly the World Cup groups were drawn again and I got exactly the same teams, with exactly the same fixtures. So I still play Argentina 'away' and Sweden at 'home'. The other groups are quite different though. Must be because of the seeding I guess.

lol i hate it when that happens, and it happened like 4 times on my aston villa game. There was always really high scoring that I lost aswell, and one time man united went into administration completely out of the blue in the 2009/2010 season, but when i played it the second time it didn't happen even though i'd only gone back one game :/ lost out to 4th place because of them aswell

lol i hate it when that happens, and it happened like 4 times on my aston villa game. There was always really high scoring that I lost aswell, and one time man united went into administration completely out of the blue in the 2009/2010 season, but when i played it the second time it didn't happen even though i'd only gone back one game :/ lost out to 4th place because of them aswell

Heh shows how random some of the game can be I guess :) Sucks to lose out on 4th place like that, feels like you've been cheated really but it can't be helped I guess. It's just good that the entire save game hasn't corrupted!

New career started again and what a poor start.

2007 - Spartak Ryazan - Pervyy divizion

Media Prediction 22nd from 22

Transfer Budget None

Wage Budget Not enough

I arrived at Spartak Ryazan 23 games into the season. We were bottom. No wonder we had 3 players. I had a mammoth task to keep this side up.

Starting Squad

Pervyy divizion

A task i was unable to complete. We remarkably finished bottom, with a grand total of 17 points. We won 3 games in my 19 in charge, which was a bit poor.

Final League Table

With having only 3 players i signed around a dozen players to try and compete in some games and get those much needed wins. Transfers Which gave us this squad at the end of the season. Squad

Finances were poor to begin with and did not improve really.

I decided to resign at the end of the season and have been looking for a new job. I have been having all sorts of offers from Brazil. I have therefore decided to take on one of the teams that offered me a job.

AA Tiradentes

Squad

So that is my new club and i can hopefully build up for a couple of years and compete to move out of the Serie C division but from past experience i know that will be a mean feat.

2021/22 Season Review

Following three seasons battling against relegation, this was the season where I was hoping the club would turn a corner. The club was getting richer, allowing me to spend big money on players and some of the youngsters I'd signed were starting to come good.

League Table

League Positions Graph

I was expecting perhaps a mid table finish, but this was completely unexpected. After getting relegated with 42 points, it was a bit odd to have Chelsea in the Championship and they were a different class to the rest of us. Bolton were also too strong meaning I had to settle for a playoff spot. I'm playing Ipswich in the semi would could be tough, they have looked pretty good this year.

Playoff semi final leg 1

Didn't really want to take a loss into the second leg but this game could have gone anywhere. Ipswich could easily have scored more and we could have snatched a draw if an offside goal wasn't disallowed.

Playoff semi final leg 2

What a killer. 2-0 up and completely in control of the match and Ipswich score an offside goal which takes it to penalties. My team are so poor at penalties I had people with penalty taking attributes of 3 and 4 taking them. Gutted. Perhaps another season in the Championship will do my team good but I think I was clearly the third best team in the league over the season so it's shame not to get promoted.

Having calmed down and looked very carefully at the two offside decisions that cost me the matches, it turns out that the goal I scored in the first leg was offside and the goal Ipswich scored in the second leg wasn't offside. Looks like the officials actually got both decisions correct.

Squad

The squad is starting to look much stronger now with the addition of a fair few eastern Europeans and a few promising looking England players. It was two of those young English players who really made my season what it was:

Stuart Ford

Last season I splashed out £3m on bringing him from Blackburn. It was a lot at the time but he's now banging the goals in and there's sufficient interest in him for me to make a profit should I need to sell him.

Haydn Bradbury

Signed for £2.2m from Everton, this was a player I was desperate to sign. His first two seasons were disappointing but he's been brilliant this year. Like Ford, there are a few clubs sniffing around him and I've recently turned down a bid of around £5m.

Transfers

I've really been throwing the money around this year, but it was actually two of the cheap signings that made the biggest difference. Le Mans sent me the usual batch of useless loan players who spent the season in the reserves. Here's the new boys:

Tomasz Michalek

Probably my best signing, brought in for £200k he was a bargain who has has a direct impact on the first team.

Peter Flood

Another one of my risky young English players. My scouts were raving about him so I dished out £4m for him. He's been rubbish so far.

Iker Erice

Young backup goalie who cost nothing. He's from Real Madrid and his name's Iker though.

Josef Kaufman

Another player who has gone straight into the first team and another bargain at just £250k.

Neil Berry

About time I bought a decent keeper, I was waiting for my 20 year old keeper to develop but it just wasn't happening.

Jimmy Gregory

Another potentially stupid signing, he came in on deadline day in January (with Berry) in my desperation to get a quality centre back, unfortunately I think he is far from that.

Job News

I'm now undecided about what to do, throughout the season I was convinced I would get promoted and manage in the Premier League with Wycombe. Despite working wonders with Wycombe and building a team capable of playing there, I'm selfish and think it is more important that I get to the Premier League rather than Wycombe. I'm not going to quit as I have a year left on my contract but if another club in the top division makes me an offer I might find it hard to refuse.

Career so far

Season     Team               Country      League                   League Finish      Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        15th               Took over in March
2008/09    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        3rd                Lost in playoff final
2009/10    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        2nd                Promoted via playoffs
2010/11    St Albans          England      Blue Square Premier      4th                Lost in playoff final
2011/12    St Albans          England      Blue Square Premier      3rd                Promoted via playoffs
2012/13    St Albans          England      League 2                 14th    
2013/14    St Albans          England      League 2                 7th                Promoted via playoffs
2014/15    St Albans          England      League 1                 14th  
2015/16    Bassano Virtus     Italy        C1/A                     16th               Relegated, resigned  
2016/17    Notts County       England      League 2                 9th          
2017/18    Notts County       England      League 2                 3rd                Promoted  
2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             19th
2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             21st
2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             18th
2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             3rd                Lost in playoff semi

My chairman is an idiot, he's just accepted a bid of £4.6m for Stuart Ford despite allowing me to reject a bid of over £5m a few weeks ago. This will be the second time he has sold the club's top goalscorer behind my back. I'm not impressed.

Unlucky in the play-offs but I guess the better team won eh?

:D

Meanwhile with me I have gone on on holiday for a year and took over as AFC Wimbledon, managed to get them to the play-offs but lost 4-2 against Crawley, so it looks like it's another year in the BSS but I'm quietly confident.

Kinda told the board I'll win the league.

2008 - AA Tiradentes (PA) - Campeonato Brasileiro Serie C

Media Prediction 8th from 10 (i think)

Transfer Budget 5.5k

Wage Budget

I arrived in the wonderful world of Brazil at a team who had a few players to build a squad around but had insufficient funds to secure such players who i thought would compete in this league. I was wrong, we got some fantastic players in the division standard and got that blend of youth and experience just right to make a serious challenge on pushing for a mid table spot.

To reiterate from the previous post where i had got this new job i will post up a Club Info and Squad screenshot.

Club Info

Squad

League(s)

For anyone who hasn't played in Brazil before the league system to me is quite complicated so i will do my best to explain what each league is and what is next etc.

State Championships - Campeonato Paraense 1st Stage

This was a qualifying stage to compete further in the league season. We had to finish in the top 2 to progress.

Campeonato Paraense 1st Stage Table

State Championship - Campeonato Paraense 2nd Stage

We qualified for the second phase which was the final league to see who would be the state champions. We played well but there were a couple of much stronger teams but that seems to be the same for every league. Finishing 3rd i was very pleased with the squad.

State Championship Campeonato Paraense 2nd Stage Table

Serie C - Group 3

We had to finish in the top 2 to progress. We managed 4th 2 points behind 2nd place. Remo my parent club ran away with the league. Sampaio Correa and Ananindeua were my rivals and they both pipped me.

Serie C Group 3 Table

Squad/Tranfers/Finances

I am very pleased to have finished where i did in my maiden season in Brazil, it was a season to gain experience of how the league system works and to build a squad to mould into one of my own.

Transfers - All players were incoming as i only had minimal players to begin with.

Squad - Which left us with that squad

Top Scorer Newton Paquinha & Deiviti both 14

Top Assist Newton Paquinha, 9

MOM Newton Paquinha, 6

Highest Ave. Newton Paquinha, 7.38

Safe to say Newton Paquinha was the player of the season, cleaning up with the club awards. Playing from AMC he dictated play and had a eye for goal arriving in the box late. At 31 he has a couple of season left in him before his stats really start to plummet. Newton Paquinha

Starting the season 50k in the black finances really took a beating, we were over budget by nearly 2k a week on the wages and we need to sell to gain and money. Things could be grim in the next season for the clubs top players. Finances

Aims for next season

• Reduce wage bill
  • Qualify for 2nd Stage Serie C

Unlucky in the play-offs dafuge, but as happy slappy said, the better team won!

Bit of a bummer losing Stuart Ford too, but I'm sure you'll find someone else :thup:.

Better team :D I finished 7 points ahead of them :mad:

I've already signed another replacement, another overpriced English youngster:

Martin Samuel

I don't think he'll slot straight into the team just yet, I'd rather give Peter Flood a chance to prove himself.

quite late, but ive started this.

leagues selected: (most leagues are the lowest they will go, except a few)

Belgium - Second Division

Brazil - Second Division

Chile - First Division B

China - First Division

England - Blue Square North/South

France - National

Germany - Second Division

Holland - First Division

Hong Kong - First Division

Iceland - First Division

Italy - Serie C2

Mexico - First Division A

Norway - First Division

Portugal - Liga Vitalis

Russia - First Division

Scotland - Third Division

South Korea - N-League

Spain - Second Division B

Sweden - First Division Elite

Turkey - First Division

anyway i started, on semi-pro, and applied for a few jobs, and nothing for a while.

anyway, August 8th, i was offered the job at Workable, a team from Hong Kong, and i was offered £80 a week, but i negotiated for £100, and they said ok, so i accepted.

the board want me to survive in the First Division over two years. and im predicted 10th in the league, and....there is only 10 teams, great.

the players arent good, at all, hopefully the rest of the league is the same haha. anyway, my journey begins.

i usually select all leagues and it runs pretty slow, but yeah, i played with only one nation the other day, and can definitely tell the difference.

AMD dual core 2.6ghz, 2gb Memory, erm...saves, data and what not are on a 200gb HDD, with about 80GB left.

its only really processing that takes a while, the thing that annoys me most is when i go to my profile and overview, that usually takes a while haha, but overall its quick enough for me :p.

finished pre-season, played 3. drew my first game 3-3, when i should have won really, was winning 3-1 at one point :(, won my second game 4-0, and then i drew the last one 0-0. my first game of the season is coming up, not really looking forward too it haha.

haha and thanks, ill need it.

just spent a good 30mins+ reading some of these posts and looking over all your careers

tis the only thread ive really got into on these forums

think i might start up a new game and give this a go, looks likes a good thing to do! :D

Took all the way till february but got the job at cambridge city who are 19th in blue square south, shame I missed the transfer window so I'll just have to try and at least hold on to 19th, and make some signings for the summer, probably starting with aaron farrell who is a legend =P oh apparantly he doesn't exist anymore :/

Workable Football Club 2007/2008

so i started the season at Workable, my first game was against Hong Kong Rangers FC, which i drew, 1-1.

anyway, second game i also drew 1-1. the third game was good, for me anyway, it was against Sun Hei, as the odds were totally against me, i won the game 2-1.

things started going bad after that, playing 7 games, losing 6, drawing 1, scoring a measly 5 goals, conceding an embaressing 23, which leaves me bottom of the league after 10 games, with 8 games to go, and two cups to play in, one of which uses a league format.

one game which i really should have won was against Rangers, but when two of my players got sent off after 17minutes, i had no chance at all, conceding 6 goals, luckily rangers are on the same points as me and my expectations are to avoid relegation, its looking unlikely, but if i get a new goalkeeper, and a new striker maybe ill have a bit more of a chance haha.

6-1

Diego got a 3 match ban, but Wilson for some reason got 6 games :confused:

i guess if i get sacked i can look for a new club, but it wont really help my reputation if i do.

Table after 10 games

its not looking good haha.

ill update at the end of the season.

i wont update at the end of the season. because i have been sacked.

Workable Sack Small

im actually quite happy this has happened, although i'd have prefered to of resigned. the team was really bad, i had 10goals in 16 matches, i almost had more red cards than goals, 7 red cards in 16 games, not good at all. i hadnt won for ages, and i decided to apply for a few jobs, anyway, i was playing Rangers, who are probably the only team i can beat, and indeed i beat them 3-1, i was happy, for once, but then....i declined to comment about one of the jobs, and was sacked.

not good for the start of my career haha, although the nigeria job has just become available, so i applied. it could help me a little bit.

Guest roberto922

I might have a go at all this malarky :D I've already got a career that's in 2011 with AFC Wimbledon that follows all the guidelines, am I alright to post about that on here?

Guest roberto922

Ok thanks :thup: I'm in League Two after successive promotions, in the season I've just had we fought relegation for most of the season but an end of season run of wins saw us finish 17th, I've had Arsenal as a parent club since my first season with them and they're basically the reason we are where we are (with the exception of some very good freebies :D) I'll post some screenies in a bit.

I am gonna start a career game... I haven't had one for god knows since when. I am usually the type of player who starts with one team and tries to go as far as i can with them. the highest i achieved with that was basingstoke which i took to the championship... then one day the game went corrupt... it was such a burn on me that i just dint play another meangiful game since then...

I know they don't have to put the ball out, but collecting the ball then running around my last defender as he lays flat out on the pitch before banging the ball in is pushing things a bit.

My defender is now out for 3 weeks :(

Still won 4-2 though :cool:

Thought i'd give this a go, though havent loaded as many leagues as some of you! Got five nations loaded with all active leagues though so should be enough.

Anyway, i started in February, hoping it would be easier to get a job over half way through most seasons. After about a week i was offered a job by Stafford Rangers in the BSP. After delaying two weeks to see i any other opportunities came up, i accepted.

Squad

Squad Stats

My first match came just a couple of days later and was against Droylsden. I let my assistant pick the team, allowing me to get a look at the squad before getting actively involved in team selection. The match ended 1-1 in what was a pretty dull match.

With only 9 games to go this season, Stafford are currently sat in mid table. Playoffs look out of reach and we are 9 points from the relegation zone so i will use this season to get a look at the current squad and prepare for next season. Survival is the only aim and this should be achieved comfortably.

good luck with stafford!.

wish i'd decided on less leagues now haha, it gets a little annoying sometimes.

anyway, might aswell update.

Dagenham & Redbridge - Blue Square Premier 2008/09

so as you can see in a previous post, i got the job at Dag & Red, after i was quite rightly sacked by crappy Hong Kong team Workable FC.

pre-season was ok, despite two losses which i expected, against QPR and Colchester, i decided to get a few players in aswell.

i brought Hogan Ephraim in on loan from my affiliated club QPR, i already had a keeper on loan from them too, aswell as those players, i brought in two wingers for a combined price of 5k, and i brought in a striker for 1k from Accrington, who was pretty good throughout the season, scoring 22 goals, and ending up as my teams top scorer.

George Galy

i started the season with a loss to Droylsden, and i just thought, here we go, going to have a terrible season here. it was terrible, but it wasnt good enough, i should have been aiming for promotion through play-offs really, but i just couldnt make it there, i blame this on some important games that i lost, and some of my strikers for not scoring when they really should have.

Final League Table

Squad

the cups werent that great either, the only one that was slightly good was the FA Cup, losing to Crewe in the 3rd round, when i really should have got a draw, my keeper was really

good in this game, he was the second choice keeper too, nevermind though. i beat Wycombe on the way aswell, which i was happy about, becuase they were in League Two :)

FA Trophy - 2nd Round Lost 1-0 to Oxford

Setanta Shield - 5th Round Lost 4-0 to Kettering

FA Cup - 3rd Round Lost 2-1 to Crewe

overall, a pretty below average season.

i was happy to see a few clubs that had me as a candidate to be manager, all in League Two, i'd be happy to get a job in a higher league, but if i cant get one, ill have to get some

new players in and head for League Two with Dag & Red.

Season Expectations 2009/10 Season - Promotion

Transfer Budget - £0

Wage Budget- £12.7k

i was also happy to see QPR are sending Hogan Ephraim back on loan to me :), i now need to look for a goalkeeper and a good Defensive Midfielder, for free or on loan haha.

now i need to sort out my friendlies.

2007-2008 - Stafford Rangers - Blue Square Premier

Media Prediction 18th

Transfer Budget None

Having only been manager since March, this season was always going to be nothing more than a chance to assess the squad. Throughout my ten games in charge, Stafford hovered between 12th and 18th, eventually finishing the season in 16th.

League Table

After taking charge, one of my first priorities was to set up a relationship with another club. West Brom were selected over Port Vale to become a parent club and i am hopeful that some loan signings could be a major benefit next season.

Finances have remained stable since taking over and the bank balance remains just short of £75k.

Only one signing has been made so far. David Proctor was signd as an emergency left back as our only other LB was out injured until the end of the season. The summer will no doubt see a number of changes. The majority of the players have contracts up for renewal and i will be looking to free up space on the wage bil. Next season, the board want consolidation. I want to push for the playoffs and to do that, there must be a lot of changes. There is not one position i am particularly happy with.

Anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards. My first full season beckons.

Aims for next season

- Cut the dead wood to make way for new signings

- Build the basis of a promotion winning squad

- Aim for the playoffs

- Reach the third round of the FA Cup

Started Unemployed with rep as pro footballer , applied for Stafford (being realstic).

Leagues loaded :

England and Scotland (all Divisions)

France , Italy , Spain , Germany , Holland and Portugal (Top 2)

Belgium and Russia (Top , Veiw only)

Thanks.

haha yeah we are, i never used to play this type of game, i used to just start at a good club or something, im really enjoying doing it like this.

i just made an awesome transfer :) for a BSP side anyway haha, Darren Ward GK - free :) formerly of Sunderland, looking for a DM now.

and good luck smithers

Archived