The FM08 Career Thread

I have decided to start my career as a manager.

Lawrence Lazewski has received a job with Spartak Ryazan in the Russian First Division. He is inheriting a team that hasn't won in 22 matches and is dead last thirteen points from the 21st place team. However in his record after one game is 1-0. Terek were second in the league going into the game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2009 - AA Tirandentes - Campeonato Brasileiro Serie C

Media Prediction - 6th

Transfer Budget - 8k

Wage Budget - 6.3k

My second full season with Tirandentes was a good one we managed to at least surpass the expectations of finishing 6th this season by achieving on my aims from last season, we managed to qualify for the second stage Serie C.

I think i'll start with the transfers in this update. I looked to strengthen the squad in a couple of key areas. Namely DM, ST, CB, GK and RM. Down to the crappy finances which i'll touch on later we were left with 8k but that was only because i adjusted the budgets to sign a better AssMan. I managed to sign players for all of the above positions on free transfers. Also signing a couple of other players to fill gaps. Transfers

Moving onto the leagues.

Paraense State Championship

This season was slightly different as we did not have to qualify for the Paraense State Championships. I singled out some rivals from the league, last seasons rivals and my parent club Remo and Serie B relegation candidates Paysandu. The season started with a couple of wins and a draw. As players settled into the mould of the team and the tactics we began to play better and by about 9 games into the league we found ourselves top, but injuries and a few suspensions to key players at vital times killed of our hopes of maintaining that top spot and being crown champions. We managed to lose to Paysandu and Ananindeua who both overtook us and with a couple of games remaining i never had the chance to get back into contention. So a 3rd place finish was one better than last season but i was so close for a upset. Next season should be different.

Paraense State Championship Table

Serie C Qualifying Stage Group3

After not achieving to qualify for the second stage last season, like i said my aim was to qualify. We had to finish in the top 2 spots to progress. Yet again Remo were in the same league and would always be contenders along with Ananindeua who finished 2nd in the State Championship. Another 14 games were in line. It was quickly established that there was a split in the quality of the teams in the league and ourselves and Sampaio Correa quickly stormed off to a nice lead in the league. We managed to beat Sampaio Correa in a thriller 5-3 before more suspensions ravaged our squad as we lost to Moto Clube and Ypiranga, dropping us back down the league to second. We lost again and drew a couple towards the end of the season before finishing strong with a couple of wins.

Serie C First Stage

Serie C Stage 2 Group 2

Qualifying for the second stage meant another league system but with only 4 teams in the league we only had to play 6 times. We needed a second place finish or better to progress again. Our hopes were dashed before they really began losing to both River and Sergipe. We managed a draw against Itapipoca to gain a point. We then managed to somehow beat Sergipe away from home. Another draw this time with River. We needed to ensure we won against Itapipoca and we needed Sergipe to lose. We won but so did Sergipe. Our season was over.

Serie C Second Stage

After achieving my main aim i was very pleased and i was so close to winning the State Championship. Next i will definately look to go one further.

Squad/Stats/Finances

With the significant improvements in the squad, we started to look impressive at times but still lacked that certain quality to the side. We continued with the 4-3-1-2 formation that i use with every team. AMC the key playmaking role. Ismael played this role to the second half of the season and really blossomed at times. His all round game was good but lacked the goals that i've seen from other players in that position in the past.

Top Scorer Francielio, 15

Top Assist Fabinho, 10

MOM Ismael, 4

Highest Ave. Ismael, 7.36

Squad+Stats

Finances are really poor at the moment. We only have a 5000 seater stadium but we're only averaging 2250ish. We're using over our limit of 6.3k a week on wages which doesn't help. I will no doubt need to sell a player or two to combat the increasing debt. Finances

Aims for next season

• Challenge for the State Championship
  • Try and reduce the debt

Reading all that makes me want to manage in Brazil.

Recently in my game the Flamengo job came up and they were in Serie B, things weren't going so well with Wycombe so I applied but didn't get it. Things have picked up a bit now so I might have one last attempt at reaching the Premier League before moving on.

Reading all that makes me want to manage in Brazil.

Recently in my game the Flamengo job came up and they were in Serie B, things weren't going so well with Wycombe so I applied but didn't get it. Things have picked up a bit now so I might have one last attempt at reaching the Premier League before moving on.

Yeh, its quite interesting and exciting playing in Brazil as soon as you understand the league system and what is going on when the you can begin to enjoy it. The players you can buy or sign on frees for a pittance of a wage is quite amazing too. I think i'll have at least another 3 seasons here trying to improve this team.

My 1st Comment, started with Bournemouth, and while ive yet to work Wonders, ive built a squad able to compete with any championship, i finished 10th 1st season, and Now im 9th after 13 games..although with a game in Hand.

I've got some good players in my squad, im just failing to play to my Potential. Usual team is..

Rhys Evans

George Elokobi

Simon Francis

Charlie Daniel

Pat Baldwin / Ben Turner

Dean Sinclair

Burton O'Brien

Damien Plessis

Ritchie Jones

Mike McGlinchey

Danny Haynes

With:

Trevor Carson

Keiran McKenna

Ryan Garry

Pat Baldwin / Ben Turner

Tommy Fraser

Ben Davies

Mike Jones

Stephen Hindemarch

Craig Lindfield

Sam Vokes

All fighting for a place,

Sorry i could not show you a screenshot, ive got a New Pc, and im using internet on my old one, while playing fm on my new one!!

Anyway, Any Advice Tactics wise, if you know the players?

Liverpool as a parent club or signed those few players from them lolleyj?

Would have thought Vokes would have been in your starting line up but realised you had Haynes which must have been a good signing for you! I don't know really know what tactics to offer you with out a screenshot of player positions etc. but nevermind. Are you using a basic 442 at the moment?

Liverpool as a parent club or signed those few players from them lolleyj?

Would have thought Vokes would have been in your starting line up but realised you had Haynes which must have been a good signing for you! I don't know really know what tactics to offer you with out a screenshot of player positions etc. but nevermind. Are you using a basic 442 at the moment?

Well Vokes would of started for me, but he was injured and my other strikers were scoring, i ws playing awesome football at the start of the season, won my 1st 4 games, like 3-0, 5-1, 4-1, 4-0 ..then kind of been crap since then,

I Satrted playing 4-4-2-, which Attacking, Short quick tempo, so my team can play their football, but hasnt really be working, so ive just changed to defensive, and playing on the counter attack, to utilise Haynes pace in behind..

And no all my players are signings!

Not bad then you done well with the transfers. Tactics seemed right to me with the short passing, maybe slowing the tempo down and low the creativity but still play the counter attack might work for you.

I'm playing similar style with the low creativity so players shoot at every opportunity and they don't take risks where they can get caught on the counter attack. You could just move your sliders about a bit every game or and see what difference they are making to the way your team play.

I'm struggling. Currently in december and i'm ten points off the playoffs. Made too many new signings and the team has no consistancy.

Just had a similar experience in the State Championship with Tiradentes. Playing worse this season compared to last.

Starting to look for a new job, come to a point where the team aren't playing like a team anymore and what ever i do to the tactics i can't win. I've managed to make a new team completely and bring in some awesome players for them. But i can't better what i have with a minus 500k bank balance. its dragging the team down and the board are getting on my back about it.

I've started to apply for a few jobs around the BSP and League 2 area in England and a few teams from other countries. 'mon

Im into a New Game, might do one of those challenges which is set on the forum,

Also seroius question, does too many signings affect your squad?

like if you get rid of 10 players, bring 10 players in, does that make a difference? or is that just trying to be a realistic manager buy siging 3 or 4?

Im into a New Game, might do one of those challenges which is set on the forum,

Also seroius question, does too many signings affect your squad?

like if you get rid of 10 players, bring 10 players in, does that make a difference? or is that just trying to be a realistic manager buy siging 3 or 4?

When I manage lower leagues i usually replace the whole team and more, works for me. For example at montevarchi one season I brought in 10 players, sold 11 players and won the league. Sometimes I bring in decent and good extra's that I don't really need if there on a free transfer and make a profit half way through the season from them

Dagenham & Redbridge - Blue Square Premier 2009/10

after last years dire season, i set out to try and gain promotion, most likely via play-offs.

Pre-Season

i had a good start to pre-season with a 2-0 win over Maidstone, but after that, it all went wrong, i lost 3-1 to Middlesbrough Reserves, aswell as a 7-0 defeat to QPR after that i lost again to Yoevil 2-1, and the final game i won 3-2.

overall, things werent really looking too good, i'd brought in 2 new faces, but clearly i needed more.

one of my signings was Darren Ward, a GK, who i thought was going to do quite well, boy was i wrong.

i won my first game of the season, then conceded 12 in the next 3 games, and then another 12 in the next 4 games, and i just thought, no way, im not having this, and i put my youth keeper in instead, and strangely, i went on a 5 game unbeaten run, and conceded 12 goals, but in 11 games.

basicly Darren Ward was terrible, my other keepers werent, but that didnt stop my team underperforming, again i lost many games i shouldnt have, just like i did last season, and i was 17th at Christmas.

something had to be done, so i brought in 2 new wingers in the january transfer window, and i climbed up the table, for a while, but it just want enough by the end of the season, finishing one place below last seasons final position.

League Table

Squad

Transfers

Cups

once again the cups were better, but nothing really better than i did last season. i did however get portsmouth in Round 3 of the FA Cup, which got me some money haha.

FA Trophy - Lost Against Stevenage 2-0 5th Round

Setanta Shield - Lost Against Cambridge 1-0 3rd Round

FA Cup - Lost against Portsmouth 1-0 3rd Round

i think its about time i leave Dag & Red, i cant see them offering me a new contract anyway, after i totally failed to meet my expectations.

oh well haha - they offered me a contract, but ive decided to reject it, ill most likely resign before pre-seasont(i want to see season summary and stuff:p) then apply for many many jobs :D i'd like to go to the lower leagues of Brazil or Italy, ill see where i end up though.

you just know they will get promoted next season now.

p.s dont take any notice of the search bar thing, i was looking for regens with my surname :cool:

Hard luck, you sure you dont fancy one more go at promotion?

I havent had chance to play much more so i am only in January. Its going badly and i am really in a relegation battle now. Made too many signings so have lacked consistancy. The only positive is that i have signed mostly young players and hopefully a few of them will get better in the future. Also, i've managed to improve my bank balance from 75k to over 200k so i might even get a transfer budget next season... if they offer me a new contract!

Just started the Small club to big Club Challenge, Started in the 2nd season, and now Chippenham, With a reputation of 900 and you think Afc Wimbledon had 1400 reputation, shows how low it is!

Also i only started of with 3 players, and there all 16, so should be a tough and challenging game!

For some reason whilst i was holidaying the game decided i was going to be manager of Gainsborough Trinity. I didn't even accept a contract, so i will plod along with this until the end of the season and have a think whether to carry on into another season.

im struggling to find a job right now haha, theres only a few spanish second division b sides available, and they are newly promoted, which i dont really want to go to, because i know ill just do badly for them, went for a couple of italian jobs too, which were all rejected, Marco Materazzi getting the job for one in place of me :(

Perhaps you had Holiday set to "Go on Indefinitely" instead of "Return when offered a job" or whatever that option is called. Of course, that only applies if you have "Apply for all jobs" on as well. When you do this I think that the game will see that you want to go on indefinitely and not want to return to sign a contract, so as you applied then it decides you should take the job. Something similar happened to me and I think thats the reason.

i had it set to return when offered a job and go on holiday indefinitely, thats how i always had it. had no problem before. i don't mind i was out of a job for a couple of months after resigning at Tiradentes after failing to progress into the next phase of Serie C.

CHIPPENHAM TIMES:

Former Chippenham player Joe Lolley today took over the managerial role of the club. Lolley was some what of a cult hero around Hardenhuish Park. Retired in 2006, Lolley takes over the club after former Manager, John Parkinson was forced to leave after His Wife became increasingly Ill. Lolley has never managed a club before but is relishing the prospect of leading Chippenham to Success, this is what he had to say "Im Absolutely delighted to be at the club, i had great times playing here, and i cant wait to have a crack at management".

Joe Lolley Profile

CHIPPENHAM BUILD ON SOLID START.

Mananger Joe Lolley, always had a tough ask of Keeping Chippenham in the division, When taking over the club, Lolley had just 3 contracted player in their original Squad, and even them were 16 year olds youths, bringing in At least 15 Quality players was always going to be a tough ask for Lolley, but he welcomed this challenge with open arms bringing in no less than 23 Players

Bad news struck just days before the season started as Adriano Rigoglioso was injured during a pre-season friendly, reports showed he was out for upto 4 months.

As the season kicked off Chippenham Made a Solid start drawing at Home to St.Albans, although this came after being 2-0 up going into half time. The next game Chippenham lost their 1st game away at Newport County, this was Quickly followed up with an enphatic win of Hitchin, with the scoreline ending up 4-2. After then losing away at Bath 3-1, Chippenham went on a streak of 10 Unbeaten, including a 2-1 win over Runnaway and unbeaten Leaders Sailsbury. This was quickly put to an end by dorchester, and after having only picked up 3 points out of their last 4 games, it leaves Chippenham in a very respectable 9th place, after 18 games.

After the Injury of Rigoglioso, someone needed to step upto the plate and produce goals, This man was no other than Kevin McCrory, His goals have been Vital in moving Chippenham up the bottom, and is already a fan favourite around Hardenhuish Park.

Just 3 weeks Ago, Lolley unveiled a new signing which brought Excitement and a real Buzz around the club as Rick Joslin signed on a free transfer, this was a real boost to Lolley's defence.

I feel I am starting to come to a turning point in my career. I've just secured a playoff spot for the second consecutive season with Wycombe and once again I will enter the playoffs as what I consider the third best team in the Championship.

There's just been a media item about the board not offering me a new deal, despite my achievements. I've got a bit annoyed at the board over the years, they have twice sold my top scorer from under my nose but I am somewhat attached to this Wycombe team. They have some incredible young players and are starting to play some wonderful football.

I'm caught in two minds over both situations:

Win the playoffs:

• Quit the club knowing my job is done, look for a bigger club to manage in the same league or abroad
  • Stay at the club and see if I can avoid relegation in the Premier League

Lose the playoffs:

• Quit the club and look for a club abroad
  • Stay at the club and try for promotion for the third year running

Then there's always the third option of the board not offering me a new contract...

I think you should have a stab at the premiership, even if you do get relegated. Your reputation would proceed you as a manager who has done well, building a team from virtually nothing to taking them to the worlds best league.

To be honest i think that i gave up on Tiradentes too easily and when faced with the difficulties of having no money to improve a side who were too good for the league they were in. In a few seasons time i may regret not trying to take them to the next level.

Stafford Rangers - Blue Square Premier 2008-2009

Media Prediction:20th

Transfer Budget:None

Transfers

I made massive changes to the squad, bringing in 20 players in total during the season. 21 players were shown the door to make way for these signings. Most were not up to the required standard and it was an easy decision to show them the door. The only player to leave that i was unhappy about was Matthew Hazley. I regarded him as the one player that could cut it at this level but when Kidderminster bid 30k, i reluctantly allowed him to leave.

Transfers

Of the players brought in, a few were not up to the standard and they were mistakes on my part. However, i am optimistic about quite a few of them and think they could be important players for the club in the next few years.

Preseason

Rather than preparation for the new season, preseason ended up being an attempt to raise as much money as possible. I arranged 9 friendlies in total, hoping to beneift from the gate receipt money. This proved a massive success off the pitch but on it, Stafford were well beaten in most games.

League

This campaign can be summed up in three words - Inconsistancy, frustration and potential. The massive changes meant that the players did not have a great understanding and this was evident on the pitch. Throughout the season, we never really looked like challenging for a playoff place and although it briefly looked like relegation was a threat, we ended up finishing safely in mid table.

Table

Cups

FA Cup:2nd Round (Knocked out by Port Vale)

FATrophy:2nd Round (Knocked out by Kettering)

Setanta Shield:5th Round (Knocked out by Boston)

Summary

A frustrating season ended positively with a respectable finish. I was offered a new 2 year contract which i accepted and hope to challenge for a playoff spot next season. The current squad has a lot of potential but will need strengthening. I relied on loans in key positions - in goal, upfront and left wing. I have already signed a striker but need to replace the other two, whether that be with further loans or permanent signings. My defence is weak and at least two defenders are also needed. But overall, i am quite happy with the team at the moment.

Squad

The other positive is the finances. Friendlies and the sale of Hazley has increased our bank balance to £300k so i am hoping to be given some money to spend.

Last seasons aims

- Cut the dead wood to make way for new signings - ACHIEVED

- Build the basis of a promotion winning squad - PARTLY ACHIEVED

- Aim for the playoffs - FAILED

- Reach the third round of the FA Cup FAILED

I feel the squad is almost there. 4/5 key signings should be enough to compete. But on the pitch, i cannot hide the fact that the season was a failure.

Aims for next season

-Continue to improve the finances

-Make the playoffs

-Make the third round of the FA Cup

-Reach the final of a cup

Career so far

2007-2008 Stafford Rangers BSP - 16th

2008-2009 Stafford Rangers BSP - 12th

good luck trying for promotion, its not always easy.

my game isnt going great, no jobs available still, and when they are, they just end up reject me, and when i declare interest, says i have no chance at all.

im thinking of restarting, mainly because of how many leagues i chose, its too slow, ill stick it through til the end of next season, and if i havnt got a job by then, ill start over, with less leagues, because it takes too long processing.

Not enjoying my time at Gainsborough, thinking of ending the affair and holidaying again. I think i need a challenge in another country.

Plus i don't seem to be getting into games as well as i did. Especially my 20+season career.

lolleyj - Cheers. Its a lot tougher than i thought. I have played in the lower leagues before but with better teams than Stafford. I just cant seem to attract many decent players. And with no money, going through all the out of contract players gets annoying after a while. Good luck with Chippenham.

Charlesbeams - Keep going, i'm sure an opportunity will come up!

ToMexico!! - Maybe Gainsborough just arent the team for you - you didnt want the job in the first place so maybe its time to make a quick exit!

Yeh I Got Redditch to the top of the game before, but that was when i had Villa as my praent club, and id take all their youngsters and domianted in conferecne south and Conference, but this game i havent done, ive been more realistic, its tough.

I've been holidaying for the last hour and that has progressed me nearly 3 months, bit slow i know. I've only had one team offer me a job. But its the same bloody team must be about 6 times now. Get the picture god dammit, i don't want to manage a team who is like 3rd bottom of the 3rd tier and has 3 players. Grrr :mad:

and again bugger off Wegberg-Beeke!!!!!!!!!!!!111.

haha im almost into february now with no job offers, its getting a bit boring, there is still 3 jobs i applied for that i havnt had a reply from.

also i just checked on Dag & Red, and they are struggling in the relegation zone haha

2022/23 Season Review

After the unlucky playoff defeat last season the aim was clear: get promoted.

League Table

League Positions Graph

A pretty decent finish considering the quality of opposition I was facing this season. I was never going to achieve automatic promotion, Newcastle and Sunderland were streets a head of the rest this season.

Squad

Transfers

The squad was pretty good from last season so I knew there wasn't much needed.

The new signings:

Tanel Tomson

Was originally signed on a free transfer to provide backup for club captain and youth product Ryan Gaughan, but then Kenny Lamb turned up in my youth team. Tomson has since been transfer listed and I'm hoping to make at least £100k profit on him.

Charles McKenzie

Signed as a promising looking 17 year old, my coaches now think he is only Championship standard but I have other ideas.

Martin Samuel

Signed for £3.5m as a long term replacement as my chairman sold my top scorer Stuart Ford for £4.6m. Still too early to tell whether he will be any good.

Jaromir Jiro

Sold my second choice left back Robbie Middleton for £2.5m and replaced him with Jaromir. Looks like good business so far.

Star Player

The player I was worrying about came good. Giving him a run of games gave him the confidence in front of goal and he has managed to score 5 goals in 4 games for the England under 21s.

Career so far

Season     Team               Country      League                   League Finish      Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        15th               Took over in March
2008/09    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        3rd                Lost in playoff final
2009/10    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        2nd                Promoted via playoffs
2010/11    St Albans          England      Blue Square Premier      4th                Lost in playoff final
2011/12    St Albans          England      Blue Square Premier      3rd                Promoted via playoffs
2012/13    St Albans          England      League 2                 14th    
2013/14    St Albans          England      League 2                 7th                Promoted via playoffs
2014/15    St Albans          England      League 1                 14th  
2015/16    Bassano Virtus     Italy        C1/A                     16th               Relegated, resigned  
2016/17    Notts County       England      League 2                 9th          
2017/18    Notts County       England      League 2                 3rd                Promoted  
2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             19th
2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             21st
2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             18th
2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             3rd                Lost in playoff semi
2022/23    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             4th                Lost in playoff semi

Live playoff preview and match reports to follow...

good luck in the play-offs!!

im getting towards the end of the season, a couple of league 2 sides have me as candidates, ill probably wait til the end of the season now and apply like crazy again.

i would rather get a job abroad somewhere, but its looking unlikely, might have to stay in england for a while.

Good luck dafuge.

I've went signings crazy again. I brought in the 4/5 players i needed in the key positions but then loan possibilities came up and i couldnt say no to the quality they will bring. It means i have the makings of a great squad for the conference though and i should be able to cope with any injuries that may occur. I just hope i have enough quailty to do it.

Archived