The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look in the top 2 portuguese leagues, they dont have a reserves team and they all have a ridiculous amount of players and you can find some real bargains who don't expect huge wages and will come to your team even though there probably championship standard xD

Look in the top 2 portuguese leagues, they dont have a reserves team and they all have a ridiculous amount of players and you can find some real bargains who don't expect huge wages and will come to your team even though there probably championship standard xD

had a quick look, but im really looking for free players, there was one that my scout said would be good, a 20yr old brazilian left back, so ive signed him.

oh and a 20yr old brazilin centre mid, i think i should just search for young brazilians, loads of good ones, and they dont want much either.

2023/24 Season Review

Two seasons in a row I had lost in the playoffs, this year I just had to do it.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Was disappointing to miss out on automatic promotion yet again.

Squad

Star Player

A while ago I was describing him as a flop, now he's my star striker.

Transfers

This was the year that my chairman had his biggest impact, selling my star supporting striker and my club captain.

Dariusz Wysocki

Looks like a great signing for the future, just a shame it wasn't in a position I needed a player in.

Roland Jakab

Signed as backup for my defence, I had no intention of playing him.

Nikos Theodoridis

A last minute replacement for club captain and club legend Ryan Gaughan.

Wen Ningning

Signed on a free transfer during an injury crisis, I didn't need to use him in the end.

Job News

I've already made my mind up, this will be my last season at the club. The constant selling of my best players by my chairman has convinced me that there's nothing more I can do to get this club promoted without his backing. After the playoffs I will quit.

Career so far

Season     Team               Country      League                   League Finish      Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        15th               Took over in March
2008/09    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        3rd                Lost in playoff final
2009/10    St Albans          England      Blue Square South        2nd                Promoted via playoffs
2010/11    St Albans          England      Blue Square Premier      4th                Lost in playoff final
2011/12    St Albans          England      Blue Square Premier      3rd                Promoted via playoffs
2012/13    St Albans          England      League 2                 14th    
2013/14    St Albans          England      League 2                 7th                Promoted via playoffs
2014/15    St Albans          England      League 1                 14th  
2015/16    Bassano Virtus     Italy        C1/A                     16th               Relegated, resigned  
2016/17    Notts County       England      League 2                 9th          
2017/18    Notts County       England      League 2                 3rd                Promoted  
2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             19th
2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             21st
2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             18th
2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             3rd                Lost in playoff semi
2022/23    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             4th                Lost in playoff semi
2023/24    Wycombe Wanderers  England      Championship             3rd                Promoted via playoffs

Live playoff preview and match reports to follow...

Wow..St.Albans, or 'Arsenal Reserves' as they're more commonly known by jealous clubs in the Blue Square South, are shaping up VERY nicely, and are hardly spending a penny while they're at it.

Players signed on loan from Arsenal, and I never expected half of these to want to come, are as follows:

You are allowed 2 season long loans, and they are Vito Mannone and Rhys Murphy(I know, I cant believe it either!)

3 month long loans are:

Kyle Bartley(DC)

Emmanuel-Jay Thomas (DLC-DM)

Thomas Cruise(Beck's got him into football- DC)

Rene Steer (DL)

James Dunne(MC)

Jay Simpson(AMR-FC)

Gilles Sunu(ST)

Fair to say i am rather excited about the coming season, even though I'm 40-1 to in the league...!

So any jobs lined up dafuge, uve had a good season! that striker is awesome

No jobs lined up yet, I tried a few earlier on in the season but they weren't interested.

Looks like if I win the playoffs I'll be in with a chance of a decent job, if I lose I'll have to take a step back in my career.

well done!!!!

time to find a new job now ;)

That playoff win has started to make me consider my options. I've got one year to run on my Wycombe contract and I'll be managing in the Premier League, do I really want to risk that in favour of another club?

That playoff win has started to make me consider my options. I've got one year to run on my Wycombe contract and I'll be managing in the Premier League, do I really want to risk that in favour of another club?

hmm one year left, might aswell see how you do in the prem.

Hello Rhys Murphy, welcome to St. Albans,

That's it for tonight. That was my first match of the season. I am playing 433 so I expect more high-scoring games. Also, one problem that I didnt foresee is that I'm only allowed 5 loanees in a squad. And I have 9. So thats why my defence is dodgy. Good old Mannone saved a pen, then the point blank rebound, but couldn't stop the rebound of the rebound.

I'm looking forward to having those two for the whole season!

A demain.

finished the season, but ill update with a summary and what not tomorrow.

i went back to see Dag & Red again, and they survived relegation, weird, they had to have an extra play-off game because of how the table was after the last game.

Table

anyway, time to sleep, update in the morning/when i wake up

I'd see how much pocket money your given first, because I think you'll need to make quite a few transfers

I think if I stay I'll keep the same squad and perhaps pick up a few Brazilians (if I'm allowed to scout there). I don't really want to do well in the Premier League with Wycombe, the chairman doesn't deserve it but I'd quite like to see how my current squad would cope.

3 games into my first season as Stafford manager .

v Salisbury H Lost 2-3 Mcniven , Hurst

v York A Lost 1-2 Hurst

v Ebbsfleet H Won 1-0 Sangare

quite happy with how things have started , although we lost our first 2 games , the preformances of my team were promising . This season is about building a squad , clearing out the dead wood , and the main aim of avoiding relegation.

:)

Good luck with Stafford smithers. I'm also in charge of them, hoping for playoffs this season but things are starting to fall apart. Lost five in a row and dropped to 10th in the table. Only 4 points off playoffs though so i'm still hopeful!

Montevarchi Calcio Aquila Serie C2/B 2011-12

Media Prediction: 14th

Actual Finish: not 14th ;)

right, i never know what to write with these, so i just type as i go along.

Pre-Season

i joined Montevarchi with 3 pre-season games to go, two were against fairly decent teams reserve teams, Sochaux reserves and Cagliari reserves, also some non-league italian club.

i didnt expect to get much out of them, other than Olginatese, and i didnt really, at all, losing to Sochaux reserves and Oglinatese, got a draw against Cagliari reserves though.

Transfers

i knew the squad was weak, so i went about signing alot of players, and i signed 9 new players, what i didnt realise was that they'd already signed 13 players.

the best player i signed was Giuseppe Negro, who was easily my best player all season, if we didnt have him, we'd be relegated for sure.

Giuseppe Negro

Cups

i started the season in the Serie C Cup, they have 22 groups with 5 teams in each one, so i had to win the group to get through to the next round, and although i didnt get through, i thought i did quite well winning 3 of my games, losing my last one, which gave another team first place :(

League

i won my first league game, and i thought i would have been in for an easy ride, but was wrong, losing my next 3, after that i'd win a few, lose a few, lose a few more, i only drew 2 of my games. overall it wasnt the greatest season, but i did survive relegation, which was what i wanted. i was also happy that i beat alot of the teams when i was predicted to struggle, we'll have to win more next season ;).

yes i signed a new 2 year contract.

Transfers

Final Table

Squad

Montevarchi Calcio Aquila Serie C2/B 2012-13

Media Prediction: 10th

Season Expectations: Top-Half (9th or above)

i also got linked with FC Gueugnon, which i wasnt happy about at first, but i checked their players and i could probably steal a few.

ill probably look to bring in a striker, a new keeper, and possibly a defender or two.

friendlies need sorting too.

just realised the squad is the wrong screenshot, nevermind, cant go back now either.

Pre Season News

It has been an incredibly busy one in what should be my final season at the club. Fed up with my stupid chairman selling all my best players, I thought I'd get my own back and waste a bit of his money.

I brought in Carlos Alberto for £12m and brought back club legend Ryan Gaughan for a staggering £16m. I know it was way too much but he belongs at this club,

The day has come slightly earlier than I thought, I've finally received an offer from a club which I would like to manage.

I am now the new manager of Deportivo La Coruna in the Liga BBVA.

I know this is a step down from top flight football but this is exactly what I was looking for, a move to a big(ish) club. Finances look ok but there's not much spending money and it is September so the transfer window is shut anyway. Looks like I'm stuck with the existing team as I try to get them back to where they belong in the Premera Division.

QUICK UPDATE

Targets for next season:

1. Fa Cup 1st Round - Not Acheived

2. Play off's Appearance

3. Fa Trophy 3rd Round

4. Clear the Deadwood and bring in fresh players - ACHEIVED

5. Make sure 90% of Squad is capable of competing at that level. - ACHEIVED

Best Buy this summer:

1. Aaron Ledgister

Pre-Season:

Went okay Overall, Beat Altrincham, Oxford and My under 18's (x3) and in the middle of them lost to Burnely 2-1 and Ipswich 3-0.

But overall was very good,

Start of this season:

Good start to the season, and after 18 games i lie in 2ND place just one point behind the leaders Havant & Waterlooville.

Archived