The EPL - Football's Answer to the IPL

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 38

What a final day! Gloucestershire High-Flyers were playing against Lancashire Lions, Isle of Man Metros, who were also fighting for the title and a point ahead, were playing against Hampshire Harriers a team who was battling for their EPL lives. The other relegation candidates, Yorkshire Yorkers, were playing against lower table Durham Devils which surely made them favourites to stay up. Well, not after what we have seen happen in the last few months of the EPL season. Not to mention the Devon Demons and Cornwall Cannons game which would decide the last uefa cup place. It was never going to be easy to predict.

Isle of Man Metros were favourites going into the games but that counted for nothing as the Harriers were ready to fight hard to stay in the division. However Gloucestershire High-Flyers who needed at least a draw had a tough match themselves. At half time it was not looking good for the Metros at all. They found themselves a goal down after Renato Augusto's brilliant strike and the High-Flyers were 1-0 up after Cris's great header early on in the match. They did have a lot of time left to go to pull the game back for them though. The Harriers were delighted though, they had 3 points if the games finished at half time whereas the Yorkers were 1-0 down to Durham Devils.

Gloucestershire High-Flyers were in the driving seat as they were 2 points ahead with 45 minutes of the season to go. This was definitely the excitement the organisers wanted. Near the start of the second half Carlos Salcido got sent off for the Yorkers and soon Soloman Kalou made it 2-0, the score of which it would finish. This meant that Hampshire Harriers just needed a point to stay up. Soon after Vagner Love extended the Harriers lead to 2-0 leavingi t pretty much impossible for the Metros to win and ended their title hopes. That was how it was going to finish. Gloucestershire just needed a point to win the inaugral EPL season. They managed it after the Lions only managed one late injury time goal from James Vaughan. Gloucestershire High-Flyers have been crowned champions of the EPL!

That last gasp goal put Lancashire Lions 6th in the league giving them a uefa cup spot. Along with Somerset Sunbathers who beat relegated Herefordshire Hotshots and Devon Demons who beat Cornwall Cannons in a winner takes all match for a uefa cup spot.

24th of May

Table

Great first season for the EPL, good to see some drama on the final day and nicely conveyed Rob.

Whilst it would be a shame to see the relegated clubs see their squads dismantled, my team needs a massive overhaul after a shocking campaign sees us finish 13th. The two strikers have done me proud but until we get screenies of our squads to see how they performed I can't tell what let us down. On paper I would assume it was the defence which was picked from the leftovers of the draft so this is understandable.

Aims for the summer: Keep Aguero and Adebayor and buy our way to success next season!

Well i can't believe it, we blew it :mad: :mad: :mad:

We still got the champions league though lets hope we win that :thup:

Despite my team's annoyance it has been a great first season for the new EPL and lets hope it continues in this exciting fashion (except next time WE win the league)

Great first season for the EPL, good to see some drama on the final day and nicely conveyed Rob.

It was becoming more like a commentator talking towards the end rather than just a basic overview that I had been doing all season.

That's a better attitude ssestig, better than Ridleys "I got relegated so I can't be bothered with this anymore." :D

Champions League

Juventus v Isle of Man Metros

Player ratings

Isle of Man Metros far outplayed Juventus but just couldn't get a win in normal time or even extra time after they came back to draw level to 1-1. It went to the dreaded penalty shoot out and all of the first 5 penalty takers on both teams scored. In sudden death Marco Marchionni cooly slotted home his penalty and then up stepped John Terry... And he misses. He isn't very good at penalties is he.

After the match, a comedian chatted to Mr. Terry and it has been recorded and starts at 6:12 on this video. Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Uefa Cup

Gloucestershire High-Flyers v Real Madrid

Player ratings

It looked like it was going to be a bad night for the High-Flyers after Real Madrid scored in the second minute. Where they to follow in their title challengers footsteps and lose in the final? Well they got back almost straight away after David Trezeguet scored his first goal of the night in the 8th minute. They then took the lead with a goal from Obafemi Martins and kept it going into the break. It looked like it was to be a goalless second half until late on David Trezeguet sealed the victory with a goal in the lat 5 minutes of the match. Gloucestershire did the double.

FA Cup

Devon Demons v Gloucestershire High-Flyers

Player ratings

So the High-Flyers went into this match on the back of their truimphs in the EPL and the uefa cup and going for the "treble." It got off to a catastrophic start however with Wayne Rooney scoring in the tenth minute. It only got worse further into the second half after Cris got injured and then their January signing, Diego Lugano, got sent off to reduce their team to ten men. Ten minutes into the second half Didier Drogba doubled their lead. The High-Flyers could not come back from that. Devon, it is safe to say, outplayed GLoucestershire and definitely deserved their FA cup triumph.

Doubt it though relegation was almost a certainty if we couldn't score. Of course i'll stick around and maybe i'll relegate someone next season too ;):D Hopefully some ace youth striker will come through Cheshire's ranks soon preferably this season.

That's it from me for now. Would like to do a bit on each team but I'm going away Saturday morning till Thursday so won't be able to post between then and this would take time to write. Hopefully I can sort out the trades and we cna do them when I get back.

Amauri just missing out on getting top goals scorer while Cristiano made the team of the year as a central midfielder :D

Have a good trip mate!

Isn't he a right mid in it? And thanks to everyone who has wished me a good time, going to the sunny Marbella. Well, I hope it's sunny.

End of Season Report

Cheshire Cobras – The Cobras were, quite frankly, awful. They did not score enough, they conceded too many and I am not surprised that they came bottom. They will be losing most of their players but hopefully the ones that remain there can get back up into the EPL at the first attempt as that is where we all want them.

Final Position: 20th

Star Player: Philip Lahm

Squad

Cornwall Cannons – The Cannons just missed out on a Uefa cup spot after they lost to Devon Demons in the last match of the season. They were one point off it and terribly unlucky. Maybe if they bring in someone to help Amauri in the trades then they could do a lot better next season. They will most definitely be aiming for Europe next season.

Final Position: 8th

Star Player: Cristiano Ronaldo

Squad

Derbyshire Dazzle – A pretty brilliant season for the Dazzle, finishing one point of the leaders in third. If they had won their penultimate game against Surrey then they could have won the league. They also won a bit of silverware, the league cup. Not the most prestigious trophy by any means, but it’s a start. They will be looking to keep the team pretty much as it is this summer and will make a bid for the EPL title in the second season.

Final Position: 3rd

Star Player: Deco

Squad

Devon Demons – The Demons had a great first season in the EPL. They challenged on all fronts, in the league they were only four points off first at the end of the season, in the champions league they lost on away goals in the quarter finals and they won the FA cup. They will be looking to make only minor adjustments to the squads in the trades this summer, maybe they could sure up the defence a bit more.

Final Position: 5th

Star Player: Didier Drogba

Squad

Durham Devils – They did not have the best of first seasons in the EPL. It started of badly but then they played very well in the middle and even reach the heights of third but then a slump in form hit and they dropped down to battling relegation in 15th. In the trades they will need to do a lot of work, they need to get a striker who will score more than ten goals a season. Their defence is good on paper but it wasn’t great during the season. Their midfield showed promise but, again, Durham need much more.

Final Position: 15th

Star Player: John Arne Riise

Squad

Essex Eagles – The Eagles drew by far the least games this season. This was because they conceded a lot of goals, and didn’t score many either. They had a set of very good attackers but only Pato and Miroslav Klose have chipped in with a decent amount of goals. They did buy one of the best goalkeepers in the world in the auction but that isn’t enough when the defence and midfield is not up to scratch defensively and won’t help out. They will be busy this trade period.

Final Position: 14th

Star Player: Miroslav Klose

Squad

Gloucestershire High-Flyers – It was just a brilliant season for them. The EPL title looked gone as they were 5 points behind with 4 games left, they got back and then lost it again but on the final day they got the draw they needed to win the league. To add to that they won the Uefa cup and will be a force to be reckoned with in the champions league next season. They are pretty strong in all areas.

Final Position: 1st

Star Player: José Manuel Reina

Squad

Greater Manchester Mongooses – They were hyped up to win the league at the start of the season but eventually finished in a very disappointing mid table. They had a dream striking partnership of Sergio Aguero and Emanuel Adebayor, unfortunately nobody else chipped in with goals. The defence, therefore, needed to be extremely solid and they weren’t good enough. If the midfield had supported the strikers more and they had conceded a little less then they could have been a force to be reckoned with. They need to sign some midfielders in the trade period.

Final Position: 13th

Star Player: Sergio Aguero

Squad

Hampshire Harriers – They just about survived relegation after beating Isle of Man Metros in the last game of the season ending the Metros title bid. Had they lost they would have gone down and they had been in the last relegation spot for the last 15 games or so of the season. I thought that they had one of the best defences in the league but they conceded the most goals in the league. They did however score a lot of goals so they will be looking to improve their defence in the trade period probably.

Final Position: 16th

Star Player: Lassana Diarra

Squad

Hereforshire Hotshots – They had an awful season getting relegated. They spent the whole season in the relegation zone and it was no surprise when they did finally go. Although, they held on for a long time until the penultimate game which was finally too much for them and they went down. Most of their players will be going as they will not be happy playing the Championship.

Final Position: 19th

Star Player: Mancini

Squad

Isle of Man Metros – They led the league for most of the season but they had an awful run in which made them lose their 5 point lead and lost the title on goal difference. They were predicted to be fighting relegation but they surprised me and were possibly the best EPL team as, not only did they finish second, but they got to the final of the champions league and only a John Terry penalty lost it for them.

Final Position: 2nd

Star Player: Falcao

Squad

Kent Killers – Kent Killers were predicted to challenge for the title and finish third. They finished in mid table which was not very good considering the hype surrounding them at the start of the season. They, as was predicted, had a very good defence. However, their attack left a lot to be desired and could be improved in the trade period. Their midfield isn’t too good either and does not create enough chances which could be why they didn’t score too many.

Final Position: 10th

Star Player: Gabriel Milito

Squad

Lancashire Lions – The Lions had a very good first season in the EPL getting into next seasons Uefa cup. David Villa carried the team slightly, however, with his 21 league goals with only Roque Santa Cruz and Yakubu getting more than 2 goals. They didn’t keep that many goals out os maybe they need to improve there in the trade period.

Final Position: 6th

Star Player: David Villa

Squad

Merseyside Magicians – They just had a predicted mid table finish this season. They conceded a lot of goals and didn’t score too many, in relation to the rest of the teams. Guiza and David Silva seemed to carry the team and they will probably look to get rid of a midfielder or two to help other parts of the team as they have at least one too many good midfielder.

Final Position: 12th

Star Player: Guiza

Squad

Nottinghamshire Knights – This season was not a very good season for the Knights. Good things had been predicted for them but they ended up just escaping relegation. They both did not score enough and conceded too many and will look to do as much as they can to rectify this in the trade period.

Final Position: 17th

Star Player: Francesco Totti

Squad

Somerset Sunbathers – They got the final Uefa cup spot from the league so this season will most probably be seen as a success in their eyes. They have a very good team and will definitely think that they are capable of more next season, which I can see happening.

Final Position: 7th

Star Player: Carlos Tevez

Squad

Surrey Savagers – They had a very good season, sealing their champions league place for next season on the final day. They were predicted to do well and they have proven the pundits correct. They have a strong team, particularly in attack with Karim Benzema and Fernando Torres leading the line and several midfielders creating chances for them. However, the attack did not quite fire last season which they will hope to change this coming season.

Final Position: 4th

Star Player: Fernando Torres

Squad

Sussex Wanderers – The Wanderers had an average season finishing the the mid table region. They were carried by Nikola Zigic’s 18 goals and Andrés Iniesta’s assists but it doesn’t matter to them as they stayed clear of their predicted relegation. Igor Akinfeev also saved them in a lot of games which earned them many a draw or win.

Final Position: 11th

Star Player: Nikola Zigic

Squad

Worcestershire Wonders – The Wonders had an okay season, missing out on the Uefa cup by two places and three points. They had a very good defence although, apart from Diego Forlan their strikers were not. Their midfield was not fantastic either although on paper it is quite good.

Final Position: 9th

Star Player: Diego Forlan

Squad

Yorkshire Yorkers – It was a bad season for the Yorkers as they got relegated on the final day after the loss to Durham Devils, which, had they won Nottinghamshire Knights would have gone down. The main area they need to improve is scoring goals as they scored the second smallest amount last season, with Thierry Henry scoring half of them.

Final Position: 18th

Key Player: Thierry Henry

Squad

The Eagles drew by far the least games this season. This was because they conceded a lot of goals, and didn’t score many either. They had a set of very good attackers but only Pato and Miroslav Klose have chipped in with a decent amount of goals. They did buy one of the best goalkeepers in the world in the auction but that isn’t enough when the defence and midfield is not up to scratch defensively and won’t help out. They will be busy this trade period.

true, very true.

kutgw Robert :thup:

Archived