FM24 | A Sporting Heritage | The Guajes of Gijón

Shrewnaldo

12 hours ago, Litmanen 10 said:

Brilliant stuff once again. You give me exactly the amount of info that I can read through during my coffee breaks at work. As a lazy reader this is ideal type of career update for me. 

Cheers,  always appreciated. I still like the longer posts as a way of organising my thoughts but the shorter ones are fine for the intermittent updates.

9 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

love a wrong-footed AP out wide! Both of those lads look good and I’d rate Polo the highest - it’s just his Vision that’s holding him back maybe. He can carry the ball well and is agile and unpredictable!

Sames. I think the 4-3-3 with the AP on the right is going to align nicely with the rest of my thoughts. Helps me use a winger on the left and keep an AF or similar type of forward - both of which align with the styles of the best newgens we have coming through. We also have enough midfielders that I really think I need to use at least 3 in the middle. And lastly, there's a couple of centre backs who can play as an IFB on the left - this would balance nicely with the winger in front of him and get me back into the 3-1 / diamond build-up that I've been enjoying with the 5-2-2-1. Positives all round.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The game has automatically cancelled our affiliations with the other two Orlegi clubs. This is truly, truly frustrating

image.png.c83e52995fb4e55dc65dca11ce578cc7.png

EDIT - I'm thinking of using the in-game editor to add these back in. They're owned by the same company, I just think this is the game's fault for recording the relationship poorly.

Edited by Shrewnaldo

14 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

The game has automatically cancelled our affiliations with the other two Orlegi clubs. This is truly, truly frustrating

image.png.c83e52995fb4e55dc65dca11ce578cc7.png

EDIT - I'm thinking of using the in-game editor to add these back in. They're owned by the same company, I just think this is the game's fault for recording the relationship poorly.

I'd do it.

This is a frustrating mechanic with affiliates, happens reasonably often because 'it's not being utilised' or whatever the text says. Espeically annoying when you get a club with a great youth set up and then gets removed but you never saw any benefit!

3 hours ago, BML said:

I would; it's a large part of the save!

2 hours ago, sammad50 said:

I'd do it.

This is a frustrating mechanic with affiliates, happens reasonably often because 'it's not being utilised' or whatever the text says. Espeically annoying when you get a club with a great youth set up and then gets removed but you never saw any benefit!

I think you're both right. I'll use the editor to add them back in and see if I can properly set it so that they're permanent affiliations and linked by the same owners. And, of course, reinforce the newgen link from our previous successful renegotiation.

The other one I'm considering is the youth facilities. The game has never given me the option to ask for improved youth facilities and they're currently stuck at three and a half stars. After a bit of experimenting, it seems this is linked to club rep. In my opinion this is just stupid - I was ok to ask for improved training facilities, youth recruitment and junior coaching until they're 20/20 - so why are youth facilities different? I'm considering using the editor to bump the youth facilities and remove, let's say, £3m from the bank balance to 'pay for them'. Thoughts?

The Youth Facilities thing has been there since last year’s edition IIRC, remember seeing similar complaints in the Youth Academy challenge thread. I also believe it’s linked to the willingness of the chairman to favour youth development from what I read back then but I’m not sure. 

17 hours ago, Socerer 01 said:

The Youth Facilities thing has been there since last year’s edition IIRC, remember seeing similar complaints in the Youth Academy challenge thread. I also believe it’s linked to the willingness of the chairman to favour youth development from what I read back then but I’m not sure. 

Is it an acknowledged bug? I hate using the editor, even to fix this stuff as it feels kinda cheaty. So I'm really hesitant but it's holding my save back and feels like it's just an error in the game.

23 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Is it an acknowledged bug? I hate using the editor, even to fix this stuff as it feels kinda cheaty. So I'm really hesitant but it's holding my save back and feels like it's just an error in the game.

I don't think they've acknowledged it as a bug so it is probably working as intended according to them.

19 minutes ago, Socerer 01 said:

I don't think they've acknowledged it as a bug so it is probably working as intended according to them.

OK, thanks.

In that case, can I canvas opinions in here of whether this is OK, or a cheat?

Reminder - the game has never let me ask for improvements to the youth facilities. Ever.

They were downgraded to 3.5 stars when we were in LaLiga2. Conversely, I've been able to ask and have approved, improvements to Training Facilities, Youth Recruitment and Junior Coaching such that they are all maxed out

The root cause appears to be reputation, which only applies to the Youth Training facilities for... reasons

I am considering using the in-game editor to bump the facilities by two points this season, and charge myself £2.5m.

If the problem persists, I'll then bump it again in 2 years at a cost of £4.5m

Thoughts? Legit or cheat? 

Ok, so I said I wasn't going to spend all that money but I decided to go a little crazy on deadline day.

image.thumb.png.c9b081a9492664ca46ba65acae6f42ad.png

Ahead of deadline day, I signed one of those quality Mexicans I was talking about as diminutive ball-winner Jonathan González joins from MLS. Lemina is now 33 and Nacho Martin isn't quite hitting LaLiga quality so this is a nice bit of cover with a Mexican angle to fit into the Orlegi strategy.

Similar Mexican influences can be seen in the loan signing of Juan Castro, who just provides some cover in the unders, and Abraham Meza - who I reckon is better than my coaches think. I plan to turn him into a right wingback - the only position where I don't have any Mareo newgen of quality. Meza already has good physicals and mentals, along with a positive personality and just needs a little Work Rate, Crossing and Dribbling to make a good wingback.

image.png.374275f74c833fe6ee165f99469a8989.png

Francisco Moreno will be taking the exact same journey but in the first team. Again, good starting physicals and mentals with a positive personality and not a million miles off on the technicals. Guille Rosas is the clear first-choice at right-back but there isn't much after him and some of the players have been complaining about a lack of depth in this position. Whilst Moreno is not an Asturian, he was born in Santa María de Cayón - just over the regional border in Cantabria. He makes the 100 mile switch from Santander and straight into the first-team squad.

Where he will be joined by guaje Jorge Meré, who had been transfer listed at Olympiakos after returning to Europe from Mexican affiliate, but not Orlegi owned, Club América. His personality and Leadership aren't where I'd want them but he offers the experienced option we've lost with Pablo Insua leaving for regular game time in LaLiga2 with Burgos.

The last signing is one that I wasn't sure about - not because of his ability but because it doesn't quite chime with the theme of the save.

image.png.c92d2008d73bbda9f5a3a739e141a33f.png

6'8" Peruvian Daniel Bernal joins from Club Allianza for his ridiculously low release clause of £375k. He's already had three caps for Perú, scoring against Morocco and DR Congo in friendlies. In any other save, I'd have been all over him as he's exactly my kind of striker. But I'm clearly going to be prioritising my own strikers such as Polo, Rodriguez and Aguirre... so is there room for Bernal? Given this match engine and the way I play, I reckon Bernal would outperform all of them at 9 but I'm just going to use him as a cash cow. He's gone out on loan to Mallorca and he'll likely bag a hatful in LaLiga2 then give me another option next summer.

In other news, the 4-3-3 has started pretty well.

image.thumb.png.7fc5578f26b5cec5eb63dd17122c68e5.png

It's great when you over achieve and the board keep expectations low, perfect chance to blood the youth. Bernal looks good as well, easy to get fickle to change in a positive personality.

Re: the youth facilities. I personally wouldn't change them. The club's rep will rise with success and it seems that's not an obvious bug. Equally though, it's your game and your rationale makes sense especially as they've actually gone backwards which is a bit nonsensical. 

Do whatever you like 👍 I'm sure we'll still read

18 minutes ago, sammad50 said:

It's great when you over achieve and the board keep expectations low, perfect chance to blood the youth. Bernal looks good as well, easy to get fickle to change in a positive personality.

Re: the youth facilities. I personally wouldn't change them. The club's rep will rise with success and it seems that's not an obvious bug. Equally though, it's your game and your rationale makes sense especially as they've actually gone backwards which is a bit nonsensical. 

Do whatever you like 👍 I'm sure we'll still read

Thanks. The one thing that's holding me back from using the editor is that the reason for it is the low rep - something which I'm taking advantage of because it also results in the lower expectations of the board. So it feels a bit hypocritical 

I'm sure you can see from my own thread and the changes I've made to my skin just how inspiring this work is Shrew. I love Mario Martinez from this intake, too! I'd be really interested in reading your approach to their development and whether you've learnt anything from the three seasons that you've been at it for.

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I'm sure you can see from my own thread and the changes I've made to my skin just how inspiring this work is Shrew. I love Mario Martinez from this intake, too! I'd be really interested in reading your approach to their development and whether you've learnt anything from the three seasons that you've been at it for.

Very flattered to hear that I'm inspiring anyone and how they play their game.

Martinez should be fantastic but has very quickly become an example of what I was saying in your thread about the speed of generic influence. He's started the game as Ambitious personality and, without being included in a mentoring group, has become Balanced within a month. In the under-19s, his Ambition has dropped by at least one inside a month. How can that happen so quickly without any senior players in the squad and when he's listed as a Team Leader within the under-19s... and yet the mentoring, which is specifically set up to influence such attributes, takes forever if it ever has any impact whatsoever. It's this sort of stuff which drives me absolutely insane with this game.

In terms of what I've learned so far... I think most of what I've done is just the well-known stuff that everyone does: individual training, mentoring when I can and prioritising game time. I still find it difficult to balance squad depth in the unders squads with making sure that the right players are getting game time. And match minutes are just so important.

The other thing is probably morale. In the second season, the B-team were smashing their way through the Segunda and development soared. In the third season, they had an up-and-down season before finishing mid-table and development stalled. Despite the increased competition reputation of playing in the Primera, my only explanation for the reduced attributional progression is that losing more games has impacted morale and that has in-turn reduced individual development. Unless anyone else has a theory, anyway.

Inspiring player development Shrew, as I always state something I really lack at. Naturally leads me to a few questions.

When is the right time to give them there first team shot? Right now I’ve got a 16 year old who has already made some waves in senior games, but is it to soon? Is there an element of throwing them in the deep end to early? Or is it a case of if your good enough your old enough?

Individual training, I’ve seen a few approaches. Some people use the most completed roles for positions and try to hit as many attributes, others train them in the exact role they plan for them (most realistic to me) then other train the weakest part of their game say a no nonsense defender for a defender who needs to work on the basics but is good technically for ball playing. 

image.jpeg.51290f7ba94116ffa7801f10d893ad63.jpeg

Fourth Season

A Sporting Heritage - The Gaujes of Gijón

A successful season, no doubt, as we broke into the European places but frustrations remain due to the poor defensive performances and our tendency to lapse into losing streaks. Three times this season we've gone on winless runs of four games or more - including a six game streak at the back end of January that saw us lose three on the bounce and go out of the cup, and the last five games of the season where we lost four on the bounce and only snuck into Europa League qualification on the final day with a draw.

image.png.256b6027374f5c6b34f70712b89d014d.png

Scoring 14 more than last season is great, conceding 7 more is not. The implementation of 4-3-3 has not been entirely smooth and we've suffered for the lack of two top-quality centre backs and CJ Sánchez's loss of form. The Cuban goalkeeper conceded 0.27 more goals than expected per 90 this season which is really, really poor. It's possible that the 5-2-2-1, which we used just over 20% of the time this season, will get more pitch-time next campaign - although, interestingly, the statistics suggest it may not be the answer to defensive issues anyway.

image.png.84d26c0187e21154ac3fc484519d43ab.pngimage.png.08eafb6279dfe1b17d225a6bfe19cdc1.png

Taking 14 minutes more to create a chance (22% worse) and conceding one 26 minutes faster (31%), it doesn't immediately stand out as being the tactical solution. Perhaps it's as simple as being that goalkeeping issue, something which this would support:

image.png.2e06efd0f3810ece1a154d10bf02dd2d.png

Conceding 11 (eleven) goals more than expected... that's just painful. Yet Sánchez is the only current guaje option for in nets. Carlos Gil is coming through the ranks but is 3, maybe 4, seasons away from realistically being a challenger. Can I accept four more seasons of conceding 25% goals than we should? No, no I cannot. So I think I'll just accept that goalkeeper is one of the positions which will need an external player.

Which may also be the case for centre-back where Lucas Ferreras, promoted from the B-team last season, has done ok but isn't showing any signs that the expanded top-tier game time will see him develop into a LaLiga player. 

image.thumb.png.6fb71207b46d30b79c258358acdf8d84.png

Now that is disappointing (last 12 months of attribute progression). Yet statistically Ferreras has exceeded the performances of Pelayo and Jorge Meré - the latter a particular let-down following his summer arrival from Olympiakos. Therefore, my intention is to keep Ferreras as back-up to the excellent Rafa Marín and pull José Gragera back from his midfield role to play as a centre-back, thereby freeing up one of the three midfield slots for the excellent prospects we have coming out of the B-team. Brazilian guaje Welton will also be promoted as centre-back cover but allowed to play for the B-team, meaning that I can sell one of Pelayo or Meré.

As the 4-3-3 uses an inverted full-back on the left to join the centre backs in a three when we're in possession, Ferreras' ability play both positions covers this naturally and will mean Mexican defender Alejandro Gómez, returning from a successful loan spell with affiliate Atlas, can slot back in to the squad nicely. On the right, Guille Rosas has been first-choice for all four seasons of the save but his performances have dipped slightly this season as he is pushing for a move away - with two years left on his contract, I'm in no rush but Premier League interest could see his £32.5m release clause activated. So that would add an attacking right-back to the goalkeeper on the shopping list.

Into midfield and we've a host of options.

image.thumb.png.0a9a7a4001ba25b66448e65e62d58c6b.png

With Gragera moving to centre-back, it's likely that our first-choice senior options for the three roles will be Jonathan Varane - DM(D), Jonathan González - BBM(S) - and Aarón Molinas - MEZ(AT). Of the three, González is the more likely to be replaced by incoming youngsters. Carlos Rojas and Domingo Escribano have started to pick up a bit of game time and will be fixtures in the squad next term. Both are more suited to the DM(D) role which would see the excellent Varane move into the B2B role and González miss out.

For the wider roles, I might have to do a little bit of shopping.

image.thumb.png.5af1492ec6579f8ce6fe29bcf1ff83b3.png

Prendes was promoted to the first-team squad last term but completely failed to impress when called upon and will be allowed to leave. Instead, I'd primarily rotated Gaspar, Francesc Polo, Dani Quiepo and the injury-prone Roberto López between the AP(S) on the right and the W(S) on the left. Youngster Polo has been a great success - 4 goals, 5 assists and a healthy 0.14xA/90. My only issue is that he is still only 18 and not the finished product - so do I want to be relying on him as the team's primary creator, completing more passes than his more developed team-mates? Maybe.

Quiepo is more of a goal threat than a creator and scored 7 in 18 from the left, plus 5 from 7 when stepping into the slot at 9. Gaspar is really the utility man here - capable of either creating or scoring - but performs best from the left. Roberto López, when fit, was absolutely superb as one of the 10s in the 5-2-2-1 but, for reasons I haven't yet fathomed, was much less effective in the 4-3-3. 

The only options for youth promotion into the wide areas are 16 year-olds Javi and Ander Aguirre. The latter is ear-marked for the 9 slot and the latter, whilst clearly of future quality, really needs at least one more season in the unders. Which, given the volume of matches we're likely to face, possibly provides scope for another playmaker to come in. Here I would be looking for someone 29+ that can come in with the reputation and the personality to mentor the likes of Polo.

Up front, we're covered. In January, I sold Uroš Sremčević, the 2026 NxGn runner-up, to Antwerp for £14.5m and 20% of his next sale. That allowed me to immediately sign Diego López from Brentford for basically the same cost.

image.png.92e658014c45b6a6a7c12809930e1315.pngimage.png.39bbcaf68f1c56abe53a4a0dea8feaa1.png

Sremčević may have been highly valued by the game but he was an infuriatingly inconsistent player who never got the goals his talent seemingly promised. López, on the other hand, is a former guaje who left for Real Madrid in 2017, then spent time at Barca and Valencia before, in my save, moving to the Premier League in 2025. He never quite cut it at the G-Tech and I was only too happy to 'bring him home'. 0.7 goals per 90 is an excellent return so far and he looks like being a great signing.

With López clear first choice and Dani Quiepo and able back-up, we also have Peruvian Daniel Bernal returning from loan. The 6'8" striker scored 10 at Mallorca and finished 23rd in this year's list of the world's wonderkids. Yet he isn't gathering the slightest transfer interest and I'm loathe to force the issue and miss out on the value that's clearly there. Signed for just £375k, he's guaranteed profit but I'm hoping for somewhere close to his release clause of £20m with a hefty sell-on clause.

If it weren't for the guaje options we have, I'd be more interested in keeping Bernal around but, leaving aside the likes of Rodriguez, Álex and Diawara, I'm just waitin 

image.png.87b821dcea7026feb99e5ee5ba672895.pngimage.png.804a1e4de5261276025849855edb6428.png

Still only 5'10", his Jumping attribute has already increased by 4 points since spawn and he scored on his debut against Real Betis, beating 6' Patric and 6'2" Álex Pérez to this header. After 24 goals and 9 assists in 20 games for the under-19s, he was promoted to the B-team and scored twice, assisting once in 7 sub appearances. He's going to be phenomenal if he continues to develop like this and the only question is how long do I wait before putting him in the first team?

Is 16 too young? I don't think there is a 'too young' in this game, so long as they are already good enough to hold their own and can perform well enough to maintain morale then why not throw them in? So I think Aguirre will bounce between the senior and B-teams this season.

All that leaves a shopping list of: first-choice goalkeeper, likely replacement right-back for Rosas and playmaker from the right-wing. I'll also be doing my usual trawl of the Mexican market. González has been solid in the first-team and Abraham Meza made a good contribution in the B-team. They were joined in January by 18 year-old Manuel Rey, signed for just £200k from Orlegi affiliate Santos Laguna.

image.png.10b0719558cd8ac8c5d7ea8f21f326d9.png

Signed on his 18th birthday, if Rey hangs around until he turns 21 then he'll also qualify as a homegrown Sporting Gijón player. With his Professional personality, he's already looking like a good pick-up and I'm hoping will be the blueprint for Mexican signings going forward.

¡Siempre Sporting!

16 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Inspiring player development Shrew, as I always state something I really lack at. Naturally leads me to a few questions.

When is the right time to give them there first team shot? Right now I’ve got a 16 year old who has already made some waves in senior games, but is it to soon? Is there an element of throwing them in the deep end to early? Or is it a case of if your good enough your old enough?

Individual training, I’ve seen a few approaches. Some people use the most completed roles for positions and try to hit as many attributes, others train them in the exact role they plan for them (most realistic to me) then other train the weakest part of their game say a no nonsense defender for a defender who needs to work on the basics but is good technically for ball playing. 

The question of when to throw them in is a good one and I'm really not sure. I've just mentioned this in the post above but I don't think there's a 'too young' - basically as soon as they're good enough to get a decent rating and maintain morale then I'm tempted to put them in. Is this the 'right way'? I'm really not sure. I know that SI folk have said there is an optimum previously - which is essentially 'not before 18'. But Evidence Based FM didn't find any such correlation in his detailed experiments so I'm ignoring that.

In terms of individual training, I try to maximise the key attributes for the role I want them to perform and I use the role training for this. If there are relevant specific weaknesses - in the key attributes or otherwise - then I use the additional focus for this.

14 hours ago, ATV said:

at what age do you think you'll sell some of these newgens? Spain is tough, especially with the minimum release fee in the contracts.

I haven't really considered this, tbh. I'm guessing at some point I just won't have an option with individual players. The likes of Aguirre will get poached by a super-club eventually so I just have to make sure I've managed the contract well enough to keep the minimum fee clauses nice and high.

For those that I want to sell, it'll just be at the point that I know they won't be good enough to fill a role in the club *and* have a better prospect coming up behind them. That could really be at any age.

I'm just getting started with this thread so I'll try and stay away from any spoilers. It's a great idea for a save and this type of multi-club ownership could be very successful. Fingers crossed you can leap over some early barriers to getting a few more Mexicans in your set up. Youth development has to be one of my favourite areas too so I'll be following closely.

Last point... how can I get those newgen faces into my game? I did have Newgan but didn't really get to grips with it before some update borked it. Could you point me in the direction of a workaround or something, please?

As a mexican i been following your updates consistently, happy to see you have mexicans being developed by your club as thats what we lack in real life (altough most mexico hates Irraragori), and congrats on getting european football, waiting to see where you go from there.

1 hour ago, DavideToreroFM said:

I'm just getting started with this thread so I'll try and stay away from any spoilers. It's a great idea for a save and this type of multi-club ownership could be very successful. Fingers crossed you can leap over some early barriers to getting a few more Mexicans in your set up. Youth development has to be one of my favourite areas too so I'll be following closely.

Last point... how can I get those newgen faces into my game? I did have Newgan but didn't really get to grips with it before some update borked it. Could you point me in the direction of a workaround or something, please?

I'm not doing anything unusual with the Newgan manager. I know the 24.2 update mucked all the graphics up because it changed the way the UIDs had to be referenced in the config, adding the requirement for "r-" before the ID number. But if you just download the latest Newgan manager then it has this in it automatically.

I've then just paired it with the SortItOutSI "UltraRealistic Newgan Face Cutouts" pack. Simple as that.

13 minutes ago, ZeroSens said:

As a mexican i been following your updates consistently, happy to see you have mexicans being developed by your club as thats what we lack in real life (altough most mexico hates Irraragori), and congrats on getting european football, waiting to see where you go from there.

Thanks, always happy to help develop a few mexicans. I wish I could get more into the system but the restriction on under-18s leaving LigaMX is stopping me. A shame most people hate Irraragori, although I can't say I'm surprised. I'll just pretend that his in-game persona is universally loved.

22 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Still only 5'10", his Jumping attribute has already increased by 4 points since spawn and he scored on his debut against Real Betis, beating 6' Patric and 6'2" Álex Pérez to this header. After 24 goals and 9 assists in 20 games for the under-19s, he was promoted to the B-team and scored twice, assisting once in 7 sub appearances. He's going to be phenomenal if he continues to develop like this and the only question is how long do I wait before putting him in the first team?

Is 16 too young? I don't think there is a 'too young' in this game, so long as they are already good enough to hold their own and can perform well enough to maintain morale then why not throw them in? So I think Aguirre will bounce between the senior and B-teams this season.

You're building some really strong foundations Shrew! Congratulations on the European qualification. Any realistic aims for there next season or is it just an 'enjoy it' but make sure you qualify for it again? I love Aguirre but I too am an absolute sucker for just moving them into the team at such a young age. Currently, half of my squad are teenagers and that, despite a great academy focus, is just not realistic! On the other hand, my playing time is now so much slower that a year or two in the B team and then a couple of loans means I'd never play long enough for these kids to break through! I will watch how you handle him closely and probably learn a thing or two!

En 14/2/2024 a las 17:50, Shrewnaldo dijo:

I'll just pretend that his in-game persona is universally loved

Yeah, let’s do that, and also let’s just pretend he isn’t being investigated by tax exasion and is being sued by Mickey Mouse.

Very interesting save and Spain is the right place to do it with all those salary restrictions. Eager to see how your Mexican recruitment will pay off in the long term, it's one of the Latin America countries that I haven't focused on.

On 15/02/2024 at 18:38, _Ben_ said:

You're building some really strong foundations Shrew! Congratulations on the European qualification. Any realistic aims for there next season or is it just an 'enjoy it' but make sure you qualify for it again? I love Aguirre but I too am an absolute sucker for just moving them into the team at such a young age. Currently, half of my squad are teenagers and that, despite a great academy focus, is just not realistic! On the other hand, my playing time is now so much slower that a year or two in the B team and then a couple of loans means I'd never play long enough for these kids to break through! I will watch how you handle him closely and probably learn a thing or two!

My expectations were to repeat the European qualification and keep increasing the youth minutes. However, as I'm about to post, I think I've screwed up and we're really struggling at the start of the new campaign.

1 hour ago, ifinnem said:

Seems like the fairly common slump best corrected by sticking to what has been working before 

Hopefully. Nothing is going right for us just now. I set up a friendly during the international break to get some confidence back and Gaspar, one of our best attacking players, broke his leg.

1 hour ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Hopefully. Nothing is going right for us just now. I set up a friendly during the international break to get some confidence back and Gaspar, one of our best attacking players, broke his leg.

:seagull:

Excellent stuff once again.

It is good to see these career updates where people actuallt struggle. I'm simply in love with my Betis save as there is a strong sense of struggling in that one too. 

I think you did well with Bravo, those cases never work in my experience, especially in clubs with pressure to perform. Let's see how he does at Napoli.

I also agree with what is said about sticking to tactics, I have a feeling that the issue is with individual players under-performing, and not with the tactic/philosophy.

17 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

My expectations were to repeat the European qualification and keep increasing the youth minutes. However, as I'm about to post, I think I've screwed up and we're really struggling at the start of the new campaign.

With the smooth, inevitably, comes the rough! It’s when you find out the most about these youngsters, in my eyes. I’d love to see how someone like Aguirre reacts to the push  and agree that moving Bravo on was right. 

I have faith that you’ll find your way out of the slump though! What are the board targets? Can you afford mid table if the turnaround isn’t 100% successful?

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

With the smooth, inevitably, comes the rough! It’s when you find out the most about these youngsters, in my eyes. I’d love to see how someone like Aguirre reacts to the push  and agree that moving Bravo on was right. 

I have faith that you’ll find your way out of the slump though! What are the board targets? Can you afford mid table if the turnaround isn’t 100% successful?

The board just want mid-table, so we shouldn't be in too much danger so long as I can avoid a relegation battle. Our form has continued to fluctuate but we're helped out by the league being a bit crazy.

image.png.fe2eba181b268419ecf343a626db4fb2.png

We've just beat Betis 2-0 to rise from 15th to 7th. The bunching through the middle of the table is crazy.

I've also just decided to go all out on the development kick and have promoted newgens Welton, Javi and Aguirre from the b-team. I've also decided to experiment massively and pulled Carlos Gil into the first team for the last 7 games. Guess which 'keeper has performed better?

image.png.43b0c5f11fb4e298530054d57813c34c.pngimage.png.e5e28dd94bbdcaa415b9a5a4ad9bc190.png

The now 17 year-old has 4 clean sheet in 7 games and an xGP/90 of 0.22. Sanchez has 4 clean sheets in 14 and an xGP/90 of negative 0.2. Who knows how that works.

To give you an idea of how much I've committed to the 'screw it' approach, we ended that 2-0 win over Betis with the following ages on the pitch: 17, 19, 30, 25, 21, 19, 27, 18, 19, 17 and 17. The two goals were scored by Aguirre (17) and Moreno (19), the latter assisted by Javi (17). 

16 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

The now 17 year-old has 4 clean sheet in 7 games and an xGP/90 of 0.22. Sanchez has 4 clean sheets in 14 and an xGP/90 of negative 0.2. Who knows how that works.

Im having a little bit of an issue with my keeper as well. The Chilean number one, he can’t catch a cold even though his attributes make him a standout at the level. So like you I threw by prospect in and he got man of the match on his debut. With scatterings of decent attributes! MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!! 

16 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

To give you an idea of how much I've committed to the 'screw it' approach, we ended that 2-0 win over Betis with the following ages on the pitch: 17, 19, 30, 25, 21, 19, 27, 18, 19, 17 and 17. The two goals were scored by Aguirre (17) and Moreno (19), the latter assisted by Javi (17). 

Good enough they are old enough Shrew you said it yourself. Perhaps a few a head of schedule at 17 but the likes of Javi, Aguirre and Martinez  were always going to make that step up!

Goalkeepers definitely are an odd thing in this engine. I have had the same problem with both Rui Silva and Chelsea's Sánchez. Both can have one magnificent game and then in the next one they won't save a thing. 

Against Las Palmas they had 5 shots and 3 on target scoring on all of them and against Sevilla the goalkeeper's weird positioning made it easy for the strikers to apply finishes. 

On 21/02/2024 at 22:20, Shrewnaldo said:

image.png.1f3703c25197728085aca85305d21b85.png

He looks to be quality! I think the fact that the game already describes him as BPD shows just how he has no real areas of weakness that won't be ironed out. Build your youth team around him!

On 23/02/2024 at 17:12, _Ben_ said:

He looks to be quality! I think the fact that the game already describes him as BPD shows just how he has no real areas of weakness that won't be ironed out. Build your youth team around him!

Interestingly, after signing the good ones, we're now up to 4 Elite Talents and 2 Top Talents, including one that I didn't even include in the wrap up above. I don't see it.

image.thumb.png.2c97e9f5120d325d4876512395d1b7f8.png

But like you say, Mouriño is undoubtedly the star of the show. He's already signed his professional contract - the question is just how long until I introduce him to the first team. He really isn't that far off.

I wouldn't hurry throwing Mouriño in the first team. He could dominate in the youth leagues to get good ratings, instead of being a shaky option in La Liga. Also, doesn't he look like a fullback at the moment? Anywho, great diary!

25 minutes ago, Blodyxe said:

I wouldn't hurry throwing Mouriño in the first team. He could dominate in the youth leagues to get good ratings, instead of being a shaky option in La Liga. Also, doesn't he look like a fullback at the moment? Anywho, great diary!

Thanks!

I have considered him as a fullback, given the crossing particularly. But I *really* like the combination of Aggression, Bravery and Positioning that he's got going on. If his Strength can grow nicely into his 20s then I'm keen to put him in the middle. If not, then I could well return to the full-back idea. 

And I know what you're saying and keeping his morale up for the development boost. It's something that bothers me about sending players on loan to weaker sides in relatively good leagues for their level. It's always a risk they just end up slumping in a rubbish team.

image.jpeg.0887e57cdf26afffa0d0c08a05c5aa73.jpeg

Working it out tactically

A Sporting Heritage - The Guajes of Gijón

I've paused my game halfway through a match at Real Sociedad and will use this post to record my thoughts tactically for the rest of this match. Above, I'd alluded to the tactical issues we'd been having and how they'd led to attacking impotence over and over again. Over the summer break, I'd experimented a bit with 4-2-3-1 but it never, ever works out for me and I always come back to the 4-3-3 shape. Defensively, I just much prefer the 4-1-4-1 shape that it provides and feel like I should be able to work out how to mesh the team into a coherent attacking unit from the 4-3-3 base. Surely?

image.png.57756547268df3495beae18a2ee65523.png

This is the 4-3-3 base that I've been looking to use and is pretty much what brought us a lot of success before, offensively at least, falling to pieces last season. This season, I've decided that I simply want to be better going forward and so have decided to revamp the approach - starting with a switch to an Attacking mentality and a higher press. I want to be more on the front foot so logic dictates this is a sensible place to start. (note, the striker role is very much a W-i-P)

We lost the opening game of the season 2-1 away at Real Madrid, hardly an embarrassment and we went toe-to-toe with them for quite a while. We then beat Almería 3-1 at home - although aided by an early red card for the visitors. Regardless, signs of progress. I then decided to watch the next few games in full match and see if I can figure out where I'm going wrong. It's been quite enlightening really and has shown a number of things that I just didn't notice watching on highlights, even comprehensive.

So much so that I decided I needed to write them down to: a - remember them all; and b - work out in my head what to do about it.

So first up:

image.thumb.png.e8bbf2a2003d6137bc01745fe11cad3c.png

Here we've been playing out from the back and our left-back, playing as an IFB, has played the ball into the B2B midfielder. Gonzalez has turned and looked to play forward where he has only two options ahead of him. Versus 6 La Real defenders. I know we're playing out from the back but it immediately feels like we need to commit more bodies forward.

I like the positioning of Molinas [the CM(A)] and of Polo [the AP(S)] to occupy the left midfielder and the left-back. But I had really expected Rosas, playing as a CWB(A), to be taking up a more advanced position that he is. I really want him up where the yellow arrow is indicating - looking to overload the right-hand side and either pull the left-back out to cover him or be able to exploit the wide open space that's available. Immediately, this is a huge disappointment for me and something that I have noticed time and again with wingbacks from the defensive line. They are preset to stay within the defensive third when you are building from the back and I find it inordinately frustrating that I just can't tell him to play 20 yards further forward.

Perhaps if my DM were a half-back and splitting the centre-backs, then the wingbacks would push higher - but I want to use an IFB to create the back three in possession and keep the DM central in front of them at all times. Instead, the back four stay as a back four until we've played into the middle third. Just very frustrating.

image.thumb.png.538e50b1fce8a28cf0df69da3af7c38a.png

Later in the same move, Rosas has eventually got the ball down the line, taken on the fullback and put a cross into the box... to one player - a striker who isn't particularly good in the air. We have very little presence in the box and the CM(A), B2B and left winger are all too slow to offer options in the box. It's a curious combination of the play developing far too slowly to exploit the space in the first picture and then, after 5 passes and eventually getting the ball to the same player, too quick for the supporting central runs.

image.thumb.png.63aa8726df506703934b8eeddf6deaab.png

Here the ball has been recycled back to our 'keeper and then played out to Gragera - nominally the right centre-back but here forming the right of the three in-possession. I really like that we're stretching the La Real defence with #21 at left-back and #2 at right-back pulled out to the extremes of the box-width. This leave a large area for the two centre-backs to cover and then large gaps in-between. I've paused the game here and would really like to see our #7 (López) make the run indicated, looking for the long-ball over the top from Gragera.

Alternatively, Gragera could carry the ball and wait until a defender commits himself and the look for to exploit a potential overload on our right-flank or switch the play to where we've isolated the right back against our left-winger on a 1v1.

Instead, he carries the ball right a little and then plays a short pass to our Complete Wingback on Attack Duty in an Attacking system who has retreated to the halfway line. 🤪

At this point, I'm coming to the sad conclusion that the AP(S) from out wide - a role I really love - just isn't working out. When watching on just highlights, I really like the way the AP(S) drops deep and allows the CM(A) and wingback to break beyond him. Watching on full match, I'm seeing how rarely that actually happens and how often he is simply cramping the space occupied by others. Also, the way the CWB(A) is operating as we play through the thirds is just awful and means that we lack any advanced width until we've established final third possession. This isn't the way that I want to play.

So at half-time, I've switched things up. Rosas (RB) is injured and is replaced by a more conservative player. So I'm going to switch to this for the second half.

image.png.795f597d66cdbd28dab170599d796ff1.png

It's a bit of an experiment really but I'm looking for the RB to step inside and play in front of the three defenders when we have the ball. That allows Varane to roam forward as a Regista with 'gets further forward' instruction. The CM(A) switches to the left and allows the right-winger to hopefully be isolated against the left-back - with a ball-winner protecting the flank. No idea if it'll work.

Incidentally it's 0-0 and whilst we've only had 4 shots for 0.48xG, Real Sociedad have had none. And they're the home team.

Before I see anything else, the immediate problem right from kick-off is the regista is so much more aggressive in the press and vacates the DM slot way too early for my liking. The BWM(S) is also a problem because he drops deep through the defensive to middle third transition and sits on top of the IWB(D). So I've switched that midfielder immediately back to a B2B.

Ok, posting as I've run out of image space. Will follow up with the next part

Continued...

image.png.63560c5bee563bb5d375d6c5d687f084.png

As expected, the IWB(D) sees the regista and always acts as if they form a double-pivot - thereby holding a much wider position than I want. I'm ok with the regista dropping deep for the ball here as he's that sort of playmaker but I really want the defensive cover to sit inside where I've indicated. I like the #7 holding the width better and I'm enjoying the use of the lone Trequartista up front - even if I feel he could do with a bit more support laterally.

Regarding the build-up shape, I guess I have a few options:

• use two IFBs and a libero to re-create the 3-1 in possession. I don't like this idea as I want to have a 4-1-4-1 shape out of possession and I don't want the in-possession-6 to automatically think he has to retreat to his centre back spot in defensive transition. I like the use of one IFB and a DM
  • Stick with the one IFB and use the DM as a holding player again, i.e. back to the DM(D) which I really like or perhaps even a DLP to give him more licence for line-breaking passes. The question then becomes what to do with the right-back. I want him to be where the #7 is in the screenshot above when we're playing through the middle third but the presets won't allow that and so I'm just stumped. I can't use him as any sort of IWB because then the DM assumes it's a double-pivot and shifts over - again, I don't want that.
  • Switch the AMR to an inside forward on the basis that he'll hold the width as we play through the thirds, then come inside once the ball is moving into the final third as the wingback looks to move forward. This is fine but by god is it boring

image.thumb.png.bcccce6c8b4d8625ca1effd5694c8efb.pngSo that leaves us with a much more orthodox shape in possession, I guess. The centrebacks and IFB are forming the three (ish) and the #8 is sitting in front as the DLP. The #9 as Treq has chosen to drop off here but we have three options threatening in behind. So it's fine. But what is the right back (#12) doing here? What's the point of him? He offers absolutely nothing where he is - he has no hope of getting on the ball, the #6 is offering the pass wide, he isn't covering against any counter threat, he isn't offering a pass through the lines, he isn't even occupying a defender. He's doing absolutely nothing. I really hate non-inverted fullbacks in FM.

We ended up winning this game 1-0, our phenomenal goal coming from right-footed left-winger Gaspar who picked the ball up on the intersection of the touchline and halfway line then dribbled past their defence before scoring a belter into the bottom corner. It was not a classic. 9 shots all game. La Real's first coming in the 76th minute as we completely shut them down.

image.thumb.png.170cb5ae5c4ac2faf4db50e8ccc64651.png

So clearly there are some big positives from how we're playing. Defensively, we're great (or at least we were in this game against Real Sociedad's 4-2-3-1), and we've dominated possession in the way I want. Plus we were away to the team expected to finish 5th whilst we're predicted to finish 11th.

But just as clearly, there's still a lot of work to be done in terms of making us more of an attacking threat. I think I'll have to just revert to the boring, boring DLP at DM, CWB(A) and IF(A) combination on the right with the two midfield roles swapped. As much as I love the AP(S) from out wide, watching the full match has indicated that it isn't working.

The striker role continues to be a conundrum. I am not going to use an AF. It's the obvious answer and I always default to it but no. I'm adamant that I'll be able to use a different role. I certainly liked aspects of the trequartista but the lack of runners in behind is always an issue in FM unless you're using a high striker. So lots still to think about. Our next game is home to Getafe and another I'll work through in full detail.

Edited by Shrewnaldo

I know it’s not what you want to hear but I have the complete wing back roles flying in my latest system. Albeit I have been using them on both sides with a HB or anchor in the DM depending on the opponents shape.

I have dual inside forwards on support. So like you say vanilla but it’s seen my wing backs, (left especially 17 assists) become real assets going forward.

you could try moving them into the DM strata? Or add the overlap instruction for the right hand side and see if you can get him higher. 

26 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

I know it’s not what you want to hear but I have the complete wing back roles flying in my latest system. Albeit I have been using them on both sides with a HB or anchor in the DM depending on the opponents shape.

I have dual inside forwards on support. So like you say vanilla but it’s seen my wing backs, (left especially 17 assists) become real assets going forward.

I'm sure I'd still get assists out of him - he's usually one of my higher assist makers and gets advanced when we're in the final third. It's how he plays in the defensive and middle third that's the issue. Perhaps yours is more advanced thanks to that HB splitting the centre-backs and then effectively turning the DR wingback into a WBR wingback, pushing him higher. But I don't want to use a HB - it annoys me that it's just a case of selecting presets to get basic positioning, instead of just being able to tell the players where I want them to play through the thirds.

I can't see any way in which I can get that rightback to have a higher starting position when we're playing through the defensive and middle thirds. There just aren't instructions to allow me to do it.

you could try moving them into the DM strata?

I expect that would help with his starting position but I don't want to do that because the AI doesn't use a 4-3-3 with WB instead of FBs. I'd feel like I was exploiting the game by doing that so I always stick to the defensive shapes that are also available to the AI.

Or add the overlap instruction for the right hand side and see if you can get him higher. 

I might try that but my expectation is that it won't work. A CWB(A) in an attacking system already has 'very attacking' mentality - despite how he actually behaves on the pitch. The overlap instruction is supposed to reduce the mentality of the AMR and increase that of the DR - but the DR's is already maxed out so... Worth a shot though, even if I don't want to be forced into also reducing the AMR's mentality (although I've just looked and the AMR's mentality always stays as 'very attacking').

I think in my next match, I'm going to remove all in-possession TIs and PIs, to revert to the vanilla and then build from there. I'm really happy with how we're playing defensively so those are fine but reckon a complete reset going forward will be the best way forward, pun intended.