What Is It That Makes The Gegenpress So Effective On FM?

Hi everyone

Just looking to ask as to WHY gegenpress is so successful in FM?

Just in terms of, what does it do to the opposition that makes it so effective?

I dont set up gegenpress style tactics generally, but in my experience im equally successful using gegenpress styles as I am with a more mid block defensive style, and in all honesty i prefer defending in a compact 442 mid or low block shape.

What are you doing with the gegenpress set up that makes it so effective?

Id be quite interested (just for once) to try and play as a low team and exploit the game, to see what its like to overachieve so badly

Thanks

Ask Jürgen Klopp why it works IRL too. I'm going to use the Liverpool vs AC Milan game as an example because I'm a Milan fa and those are the 2 teams I watch every week. 

So Milan are a team that like to press high as much as the can and also like to build up from the back, however, in that game the constant pressure Liverpool were putting on the back 4 made it so that Milan couldn't play from the back thus their game plan was already destroyed, all they could was play it long and then loose the ball so Liverpool could attack again.   

It works the same way in game, you put a lot of pressure on the opposing team which leads them to mistakes 

3 minutes ago, DarJ said:

Ask Jürgen Klopp why it works IRL too. I'm going to use the Liverpool vs AC Milan game as an example because I'm a Milan fa and those are the 2 teams I watch every week. 

So Milan are a team that like to press high as much as the can and also like to build up from the back, however, in that game the constant pressure Liverpool were putting on the back 4 made it so that Milan couldn't play from the back thus their game plan was already destroyed, all they could was play it long and then loose the ball so Liverpool could attack again.   

It works the same way in game, you put a lot of pressure on the opposing team which leads them to mistakes 

Thats fine, I get that

But im talking FM here.

If youre an average premier league side, or even a worse one, lets say youre someone like crystal palace, to win lots of games youd still have to create lots of good chances WITH the ball when you get it back.

So on FM, is it just simply a case of gegenpressing and creating loads of half chances until one or two go in and hoping the relentlessness breaks the opposition down?

17 minutes ago, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

it just simply a case of gegenpressing and creating loads of half chances until one or two go in and hoping the relentlessness breaks the opposition down?

That is part of it but I assume you'll also have to setup your tactic properly because there are times when you'll have the ball and you can't press when you don't have the ball

2 hours ago, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

Hi everyone

Just in terms of, what does it do to the opposition that makes it so effective?

I dont set up gegenpress style tactics generally, but in my experience im equally successful using gegenpress styles as I am with a more mid block defensive style, and in all honesty i prefer defending in a compact 442 mid or low block shape.

What are you doing with the gegenpress set up that makes it so effective?

Id be quite interested (just for once) to try and play as a low team and exploit the game, to see what its like to overachieve so badly

Thanks

Because you are playing against a very limited and stupid AI and have an ME were players stats aren't the most important aspect when comes to a tactics success, the only thing SI could do in response to complaints of it being OP was to make players tire quicker

It's not just the pressing that makes gegenpress powerful, but also the relentless extreme tempo, which will frequently catch opposition defenders out of position if they too are attempting to hard press their way into possession. The more defenders are out of position, the less likely they are to be to perform necessary interceptions and ultimately shot blocking. This can create a lot of chances.

Gegenpress isn't a cure-all, or plug and play system, however. If you have a lot of players on your squad with only mediocre stamina, they can be less effective in this than they would be in some other system. They just cannot handle the intensity of this approach to a decent standard, and will have more inaccurate passing, and be more inaccurate in their shots on goal. Furthermore, as the game winds down further into the final half, they'll become much less capable in general, and be reluctant to expend their energy in any fashion.

Also, if you're trying to run a team that does well for itself on a budget, absolutely forget about it. The rate of injuries will be just too high to manage. There are other, more patient approaches if you want to play a control possession game that can be quite successful, even against a gegenpress. If your players aren't exhausting themselves chasing after the opposition in defense, you can do quite well in defense, and then edge them in offense by more clinical finishing.

On 25/11/2021 at 14:08, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

Because even bad players are way too accurate when playing high intense football. 

IRL not every team has the physics, mentals and technical ability to do so, that’s the bottleneck but in FM any team can execute a Gegenpress.

i know the explanation is boring but that’s it. Simple. And that’s exactly what FM wants to be a sandbox where everything is possible.

Edited by CARRERA

8 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Defenders lack composure to play through the press unless you have players who are absolutely world class. Even then they are liable to boot the ball

this. threshold for clearances is too low in FM plus mediocre players being able to press relentlessly. unrealistic choice of pass from players. overall unrealistic method of playing out the back, even with elite players trying to play out of a high press a lot of times players ignore the obvious choice (this doesn't just apply to passing out the back). 

also something else i've noticed that makes a difference is your relative club rank. with similar players at both clubs, using the same tactic, i couldn't play out the back with the lower rep club whereas at the larger rep club i had no problem. even players with a lot lower attributes required to play out the back at the larger rep club had absolutely no problem playing against a high press. 

you can half ass a high press tactic and it'll be fairly effective. 

1 hour ago, CARRERA said:

Because even bad players are way too accurate when playing high intense football. 

IRL not every team has the physics, mentals and technical ability to do so, that’s the bottleneck but in FM any team can execute a Gegenpress.

i know the explanation is boring but that’s it. Simple. And that’s exactly what FM wants to be a sandbox where everything is possible.

To the OP Pressing or just simply gegenpressing ? 

If we're talking pressing I'm on a similar thought path to this. In possession players don't make enough mistakes when passing the ball especially in the middle and final third. This then means playing a low block doesn't give you the rewards it might do in real life and actually just causes unnecessary good chances being created against you. Lots of the best defensive tactics on the game over the years are normally still pretty aggressive in set up and normally press high.

Edited by Cult of Football Manager

18 minutes ago, Cult of Football Manager said:

To the OP Pressing or just simply gegenpressing ? 

It was related to high intense football, which is what "gegenpress tactics" usually are. does that make sense?!

21 minutes ago, Cult of Football Manager said:

If we're talking pressing I'm on a similar thought path to this. In possession players don't make enough mistakes when passing the ball especially in the middle and final third. This then means playing a low block doesn't give you the rewards it might do in real life and actually just causes unnecessary good chances being created against you. Lots of the best defensive tactics on the game over the years are normally still pretty aggressive in set up and normally press high.

I completely agree on that and its not only passing for example, but also how capable players are of getting the ball under control. That seems also very much de-linked from real life. But anyway, it remains a game and i understand that every team needs to be able to play a tiki-taka or gegenpress style to satisfy the customer needs. And its up to us players to pick a style that reflects the capabilities of our team and not just for the win (if we are looking for an immersive experience).

It is definitely the high line of engagement. The match engine AI seems to be ridiculously conservative when playing out from the back. Even players unsuited to a high press can panic talented ball playing defenders into quick clearances, particularly from goal kicks.

On the other hand if you manage to recruit a goal keeper with excellent distribution you can turn the monster into a joke. It is hard to exaggerate how satisfying and cathartic it is to watch your keeper easily bypass the front line of the stupid 4-2-3-1 gegenpress and then watch the opposition panic.