FM21: The English Football League thread

warlock

39 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

It would be a challenge for sure! Great start with Blackpool and a nice signing in Perry Ng. 

I agree 100% that's what I have wanted for a few versions but managed to get promoted at all sorts of clubs like Grimsby, Bristol Rovers (and then stopped them just because of it).

I won't do Bolton again as I did that with their points deduction, but when I get my radical idea underway I think it will make for a good save.

The other way is to take charge of a relegated side after one year (like the Plymouth one I talked about in here a few days ago). If the squad is largely similar, you can bring in a few players, let go a few, and try to re-build both morale and the club.

I really like that idea of playing, its something id never considered until you mentionned it.

I like the lower leagues so far. Id always 99% of the time gone for a top league. But it frustrates me because you load a team up and you try and recreate them. You look at the players and think, well he is best for this type of role but he doesnt do that in real life, and then you never really capture their real life tactic. so you get frustrated. Then knowing everyone elses team, you expect to get certain results, then you either do or dont, it just gets old really fast.

With this save now, im managing each game on its merits. I know hardly any of the players, certainly not WELL even if i know their name, and im really focusing on getting the training right, few instructions on a matchday, and then adapting the tactics on a match day depending on how the game is going. Absolute BASICS done well (i hope).

Also scouting....actually having to scout. Not just saying.....whos the best left back in the world? oh him, yeah ill buy him. Im actually researching my signings......down to details. What traits do they have? are they good lads who are determined? how tall and physical are they? is he likely to come down from Manchester all the way to Plymouth for a grand a week? stuff like that. I really enjoy it

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

613.png.06c9e310247f24f800c0c93fab19b077.png

Blackpool FC: October 2020 Update

I've gone through a couple more months of my season, and am really making the most of my day on furlough. Since I have the time I thought I may as well stick another update in here to keep you guys posted with how things are going here at Bloomfield Road. Our first month was pretty strong, and it set me up with confidence ahead of a packed schedule. The second month of the campaign would see us play seven matches, with six of them coming in the league.

month2.png.9f4c33f9f6380d5af6579564d5ed4f19.png

We started the month with a tricky looking match at home to Lincoln City. We weren't at our best, but a rocket header from Matty Virtue with four minutes to go proved enough for the three points. A much changed side then comfortably dispatched Barrow to clinch qualification in the Papa Johns Trophy. Next up we saw Perry Ng made a brilliant debut away at the side we signed him from, Crewe. An early goal from Oliver Sarkic gave us the three points in a defensively sound performance. We should've picked up another win against stuttering Charlton, but really fluffed our lines. We dominated the game but couldn't find the net and had to settle for the point. It was a good performance though, in our first match against real promotion contenders.
We followed it up with back to back victories though, in two very differing displays. A late penalty from Ben Woodburn completed a lacklustre turnaround against the MK Dons, before we completely played AFC Wimbledon off the park. A second half penalty from Woodburn was added to in stoppage time by Folarin Balogun. A trip to high flying Burton Albion ended the month and we very nearly ended up taking a point we really didn't deserve. Balogun looked as though he'd rescued us a late point before we conceded a winner deep into stoppage time. That result denying us an unbeaten month, and just slightly denting a bright start.

month2table.png.fc99dc4cff1bfd3a241a3dfef8aad5b1.png

A bright start has us sitting nicely within the play-off places, and higher than I thought we would be. The defeat to Burton Albion hurts, but I would've taken this position at the start. Defensively we look really strong, and goals are coming from all over the pitch. Folarin Balogun has 4 league strikes already, but winger Oliver Sarkic has impressed me the most. He started the season as a substitute, but has forced his way into my plans with a string of good performances. In fact our most disappointing player so far has probably been club captain Sullay Kaikai. I had high hopes for him, but so far he's managed just one goal and not a single assist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours:

none

11 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

I really like that idea of playing, its something id never considered until you mentionned it.

I like the lower leagues so far. Id always 99% of the time gone for a top league. But it frustrates me because you load a team up and you try and recreate them. You look at the players and think, well he is best for this type of role but he doesnt do that in real life, and then you never really capture their real life tactic. so you get frustrated. Then knowing everyone elses team, you expect to get certain results, then you either do or dont, it just gets old really fast.

With this save now, im managing each game on its merits. I know hardly any of the players, certainly not WELL even if i know their name, and im really focusing on getting the training right, few instructions on a matchday, and then adapting the tactics on a match day depending on how the game is going. Absolute BASICS done well (i hope).

Also scouting....actually having to scout. Not just saying.....whos the best left back in the world? oh him, yeah ill buy him. Im actually researching my signings......down to details. What traits do they have? are they good lads who are determined? how tall and physical are they? is he likely to come down from Manchester all the way to Plymouth for a grand a week? stuff like that. I really enjoy it

It's just trying to create 'different' challenges I think, pleased that you are really engaging different ideas in to your new level of club and I hope the fun continues. Regarding the relegated challenge it can be nice (I took over Oxford after they got relegated) and had a nice season - I would have continued but I wanted to move on from the BETA at the time.

@goonergezMaintaining your really good start, nice to see and hopefully this is 'the one' for you. Ironically I saw Woodburn has just had his loan terminated by Blackpool and Ng signed for Cardiff today! Topical names...

Edited by Jogo Bonito

8 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@goonergezMaintaining your really good start, nice to see and hopefully this is 'the one' for you. Ironically I saw Woodburn has just had his loan terminated by Blackpool and Ng signed for Cardiff today! Topical names...

I wouldn't say that I feel 100% engaged with Blackpool, but I am trying to stick with it and see where it goes. It's been a nice start though, and I am pretty happy with how it's going.

2 hours ago, StePratt said:

Happy days.

Good progress on and off the field :thup:

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I'm not smart enough to actually follow those instructions and too embarrassed to ask again :lol:

:lol: On the few occasions I've wandered into the editor forum my eyes glaze over and I make a hasty exit.

1122248515_RFCheader.jpg.de1970978493df03a162518f449cc22c.jpg

Part 1

770756185_Readingwelcome.png.61092e534e58f673e5018873ec823f8e.png2119007954_VPappointed.jpg.3ed42848496357752b24b18236e66af3.jpg

652481352_RFCownerwelcome.png.952f7276f96b03d68b9e4ad789789aca.png

In news you may think you have heard before, Reading FC are pleased to announce the appointment of Veljko Paunović as First Team Manager

He replaces the popular figure of Mark Bowen at the helm, with the Welshman rejecting the chance to return to his old role as Sporting Director

688316973_ReadingProfile.png.1a1e4274435423ff4aab4945a505296e.png

The Royals have endured several torrid seasons, narrowly avoiding relegation on many occasions before Bowen steered them to 14th in the 2019/20 campaign

The media predicts Reading will finish 16th in 2020/21, and although the board will give him time the new incumbent will be expecting to do much better than that

1714967946_ReadingGeneral.thumb.png.467faf87c028465efecaa2c27b7ad67e.png

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

1122248515_RFCheader.jpg.de1970978493df03a162518f449cc22c.jpg

Part 1

770756185_Readingwelcome.png.61092e534e58f673e5018873ec823f8e.png2119007954_VPappointed.jpg.3ed42848496357752b24b18236e66af3.jpg

652481352_RFCownerwelcome.png.952f7276f96b03d68b9e4ad789789aca.png

In news you may think you have heard before, Reading FC are pleased to announce the appointment of Veljko Paunović as First Team Manager

He replaces the popular figure of Mark Bowen at the helm, with the Welshman rejecting the chance to return to his old role as Sporting Director

688316973_ReadingProfile.png.1a1e4274435423ff4aab4945a505296e.png

The Royals have endured several torrid seasons, narrowly avoiding relegation on many occasions before Bowen steered them to 14th in the 2019/20 campaign

The media predicts Reading will finish 16th in 2020/21, and although the board will give him time the new incumbent will be expecting to do much better than that

1714967946_ReadingGeneral.thumb.png.467faf87c028465efecaa2c27b7ad67e.png

I look forward to seeing how you do with Reading. Are you doing it as Youth only save or bringing in the right players?

Also why did you name yourself Paunovic? 

Is a real person or just someone you made up ?

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I look forward to seeing how you do with Reading. Are you doing it as Youth only save or bringing in the right players?

Also why did you name yourself Paunovic? 

Is a real person or just someone you made up ?

He is the actual manager of the club. I just re-appointed him as myself because he deserves the chance :cool:

As for strategy, patience my friend :lol:

709.png.da24c5ef1b5e4c027a9bd4c2f3ecdb05.png

Sheffield Wednesday - Season 1 (2022-23) - End of Season Update

spacer.png

Once we hit the front this season, we never really looked back. With the goals of Godden, Swann et al and also the second best defense in the league, with John Ruddy's Wednesday record of 19 clean sheets (17 in the league), we took League Two by storm, winning by 23 points. Sealing promotion with 7 games remaining, we were able to blood more players into the starting XI, getting them vital experience for our League One challenge next season.

spacer.png

These are the player stats from all those who played more than ten games for us this season. Godden had an amazing season for us, but towards the end, especially once we had sealed promotion, I started to play Lebrun Swann in his place, whom seems like his natural successor and he did well, grabbing 13 goals to his name. Lloyd Isgrove was ever present for us on the wing, chipping in with 14 goals and 13 assists, impressing me greatly. Dendoncker and Kirk/Flint were very solid at the back and I have also been impressed with emerging talent John Madley, whom seems to have the right back position sealed for the forseeable.

I'm very happy with this side and the board are already hoping for a playoff spot next season in League One and I think with a few additions, this team is more than ready for a damn good go at getting back to back promotions.

796519143_RFCheader.jpg.417439ba4f05b0b293952f161bee65e9.jpg

Part 2

The immediate aim for Veljko was to tie down some of the exciting young players developed by the club to new contracts

Left-back Omar Richards (June 2021) and attacking midfielder Michael Olise (June 2022) have both been courted by major clubs in England and Europe this year

omar_richards1.png.b674bed2f2573897ad9d634c6006ee66.png

Richards is an attacking left-back who has been on the radar of Bayern Munich, but Veljko insisted that the club do their best to retain his services

Dai Yongge (Club Owner) is ambitious and supportive, but the club are hampered by FFP rules and still have to seek EFL approval on any transfers since a soft embargo in 2019  

With his ever-improving defensive work now being allied to his attacking abilities, he is a vital part of how Reading like to spring forward on the counter attack

He saw off the challenge of long-serving Jordan Obita and Tyler Blackett and now starts the current campaign as first choice with the other pair having been released 

olise1.png.bd3389aba3568fd118310afc453e1480.png

Whilst it has taken Richards a year or two to nail down his starting spot, Olise meanwhile has been a star in the making for the last couple of years

An attacking midfielder with a cultured left foot, his talent was clear to see from the very first time he stepped on to a pitch for Reading

He can play in any of the attacking midfield slots, but is best from the right or just off the striker in Reading's usual 4231 formation

His main strengths are his passing and his dribbling, as he is an excellent carrier of the ball - he also has excellent set-piece delivery and can shoot and finish too

Whilst the silky skills are pleasing on the eye, he also shows great awareness, decision making and maturity for a teenager

Like Richards he is classed a club-developed player, although both Man City and Chelsea will rue the fact that he left both of their academies as a much younger kid

He has been nurtured well by Reading and it would be a surprise not to see him making a big move in the near future

Already capped at youth level for France, he still qualifies to play for England and full international honours could easily be his one day

2137254029_Newcontracts.png.153b42627f60a5f5bfabf1151f55d519.png

The good news is that both of these young players were convinced that this is a club they can continue with - for now - and agreed their new deals 

570056702_Richards01_08_20.png.9ff306e63d26f6fd17eab9226a1ef61d.png

1375803812_Olise05_08_20.png.294e095158b9dd35662ab6a1340740ac.png

Veljko was delighted to see both of these talented young players commit their future to the club, and added some context below on Olise's decision to stay

2043048008_VPonOlise06_08_20.png.e7983782d7254c33dec1e06fff6e275f.png

New contracts were also agreed with central defenders Tom McIntyre (another home grown player tipped to have a good future) and the experienced Michael Morrison

Both had contracts that were due to end in June 2021, and persuading life-long club supporter McIntyre to stay was both obvious and easy

The left-footed central defender can also play at left-back and can provide cover for Richards in that role too

Whilst the manager wants to rely on a young core, a one year extension for one of the team leaders in Morrison was deemed important too 

The owner of several hair salons, Morrison is primed for a successful business career when his playing days are over

But for the now, the ex-Birmingham captain (and Reading vice captain) is likely to be a regular starter in central defence alongside club captain Liam Moore

1859529867_McIntyre01_08_20.png.a83500c11f780a5db45f2e2b4453d0ff.png

977475368_Morrison01_08_20.png.7a496b105abb0d9e0dca2a50d3d894f4.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

1095592793_RFCheader.jpg.7104d7cfaf6d484caa1bc65c7ddc1f92.jpg

Part 3

Veljko had three loan players at the club, largely due to the unofficial services of 'super agent' Kia Joorabchian who has been involved for a couple of years now

However with no transfer budget at all and a wage budget already maxed out, he decided to make some tough calls and terminated the two loans he could

Whilst the pair could have been 'useful' to the club and were good young players, it was decided that there were solutions that could be found without them remaining

So it was a rather uncomfortable day when both Tomás Esteves and Lewis Gibson were thanked and sent back to their parent clubs on 28th August 2020

The third loan player Alfa Semedo (from Benfica) had no such termination clause in his agreement and in any case was deemed to be more important to Veljko anyway

1304411656_Esteves28_08_20.png.faea11ffd6c4a6eff45d6ac86e69b5c6.png

1843175857_Gibson28_08_20.png.484fbffde75dfa4b230cdb6328115c4e.png

Whilst there are three or four first team players that Veljko would be happy to move on, he has not yet been able to do that either by loan or free transfer

So, the only activity at the club on the eve of the new season is summed up by the below outward movements

Right-back Watson was once seen as a promising young player, but his career has never kicked on and he has made a good move to Swindon for a small fee

Walker has been a reliable and professional goalkeeper, but would never be more than 2nd/3rd choice for Veljko

Like Watson, he had a contract expiring next summer so it made sense to let Coventry use him (with wages and a small fee coming in to the club)

Abbey meanwhile is a raw but decent young central defender, but his path to the first team is well blocked for a few years

It made sense to let him gain some good minutes & experience at Aldershot, who operate at a respectable level (5th tier) and are local

291305486_ReadingTransfers1.1.png.fe70b56040e9d754b2bda63028787c86.png

The temptation to do a total staff overhaul has been resisted for now, with just two performance analysts, a scout and a physio being mutually terminated

Hannah Herbert (Performance Analyst) and Steve Hetzke (Scout) have been the only new staff recruited to date

The return of the affable Hetzke is really satisfying as he was at Reading for 11 years until 1982 (he was nicknamed Big 'Un during his playing career at the club) 

1817000296_Hetzke31_07_20.png.2e5b65e34e4cb32397ecfc397ad4d840.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

In other news...

Things have taken a turn for the worst at Exeter. Inevitably, Adebayo came seeking a new contract and, since he'd just bagged 30 goals for us, I was more than happy to give him a big rise. For context, he was on £1,800 a week, our highest earner was on £4k a week, and I was prepared to go to £5k a week if necessary. His agent's initial demand was £10k a week and, as it turned out, that was his final demand as well. The board wouldn't allow me to offer more than £6k a week so the talks went nowhere in a hurry. The usual media storm followed, and half the squad, including club captain Lavelle, sided with Adebayo.

Then he sacked his agent. So, ever hopeful, I approached the player and he agreed to resume negotiations. His opening bid: £12k a week :seagull:. I can't offer that, he won't accept anything less and talks break down again. Next thing I have a players delegation in my office demanding that I keep my promise and offer him a new contract. Squad morale is through the floor, managerial support ditto, Adebayo is demanding a transfer and, frankly, I can't be arsed to deal with it right now.

For a short while, you can find me in the confusingly-named @Ronaldo Beckham thread for small-but-perfectly-formed nations where I'll be getting my feet covered in snow somewhere in Sweden. I'll be back...

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

In other news...

Things have taken a turn for the worst at Exeter. Inevitably, Adebayo came seeking a new contract and, since he'd just bagged 30 goals for us, I was more than happy to give him a big rise. For context, he was on £1,800 a week, our highest earner was on £4k a week, and I was prepared to go to £5k a week if necessary. His agent's initial demand was £10k a week and, as it turned out, that was his final demand as well. The board wouldn't allow me to offer more than £6k a week so the talks went nowhere in a hurry. The usual media storm followed, and half the squad, including club captain Lavelle, sided with Adebayo.

Then he sacked his agent. So, ever hopeful, I approached the player and he agreed to resume negotiations. His opening bid: £12k a week :seagull:. I can't offer that, he won't accept anything less and talks break down again. Next thing I have a players delegation in my office demanding that I keep my promise and offer him a new contract. Squad morale is through the floor, managerial support ditto, Adebayo is demanding a transfer and, frankly, I can't be arsed to deal with it right now.

For a short while, you can find me in the confusingly-named @Ronaldo Beckham thread for small-but-perfectly-formed nations where I'll be getting my feet covered in snow somewhere in Sweden. I'll be back...

Oh dearie me. What a disastrous turn of events. I can understand your frustrations with Adebayo doing that and the whole team reacting the way they have. 

In the meantime, enjoy yourself in the land of flat-pack furniture, I will be sure to pop in and see how that goes as I was recently in Denmark and also managed in Sweden (for the first time) on FM20. See you back here soon, whether at Exeter or elsewhere.

53 minutes ago, warlock said:

In other news...

Gutted to hear that mate. Hope you can win the team around after some morale boosting friendlies or something. That really sucks though, What makes him think he deserves a 500% raise, madness! Hope you can get back into it :)

Good luck with Reading @Jogo Bonito, looks like some good business so far, I'm surprised you terminates Esteves, he looks really good for Championship level at least!

2 minutes ago, oakesypvfc said:

Gutted to hear that mate. Hope you can win the team around after some morale boosting friendlies or something. That really sucks though, What makes him think he deserves a 500% raise, madness! Hope you can get back into it :)

Good luck with Reading @Jogo Bonito, looks like some good business so far, I'm surprised you terminates Esteves, he looks really good for Championship level at least!

Well in real life Yiadom would be first choice but he is on a fairly long term injury (in game he is not injured). Esteves is a good attacking player but has been 'average' this season and is not great defensively. Holmes is a central defender but has done quite well at right-back (actually gets picked ahead of Esteves). Araruna is able to play there and defensive midfield (also injured in real life but fit in game) and even Rinomhota can cover there if necessary (not desirable though).

Esteves is a talented young prospect and will no doubt go on to have a very good career. The same can be said of Gibson who will also have a good career (injured in real life, and several other players can play both positions he does) so being able to cut the number of loans down to one and make a small saving seemed the right thing to do.

76895923_RFCheader.jpg.21fb7b248ec0b3323c7e156755304d5b.jpg

Part 4

862322508_ReadingFC2020-21.png.ca2e7c11824e6ccbac9bfef452670ce8.png

1363414341_meetthesquad.jpg.75384c63a7d952d0121d6a59684653c4.jpg

Goalkeepers

Rafael (free from Sampdoria) is undisputed first choice and is one of the best 'keepers in the division

Southwood (HGC) will deputise and there are two good prospects in the younger age groups if we need to drag them up at any time

1220400813_Rafael1.png.7095947c44f5460f9a28bf704dc9fb6f.png

683786125_Southwood1.png.d2c8fc1dd08366d40317472c4c7ade26.png

Central Defenders

Club captain Moore (undisclosed from Leicester) is an automatic pick and although right-footed he will be to the left of the pair if alongside another right-footer

He will usually be partnered by Morrison (free from Birmingham) at the heart of the defence, with the vice captain being to his right 

McIntyre (HGC) is a more than capable deputy who can easily step in at any time - he is left-sided so will also cover the left-back position

Holmes (HGC) is a central defender who has been used at right-back too, so he will be 4th choice in the centre and 2nd choice at right-back

1650109350_Moore1.png.8f05e9e6ab89ac930b4db55aeee01543.png

1580970755_Morrison1.png.180197caf96398c936130e68ee0883d0.png

1017105651_McIntyre1.png.f90f7037444f250afe4b3b92d12072e0.png

1969379449_Holmes1.png.befca3e7c0e52bf0e665f2c0a6f7ec97.png

Full Backs

Yiadom (free from Barnsley) will be the right-back,  and although right-footed he is almost as effective at left-back so can cover there too

Support will come from Holmes or Araruna, who are both able to play this position

Richards (HGC) is left-footed and will start there whenever fit, his back up will come from Yiadom (who can switch sides), McIntyre or two youth prospects

1430182121_Yiadom1.png.112bdaa722cb8a5e983e2ae54ed37a8d.png

398073948_Richards1.png.ed717b79f29cfa1de8f5b6059639bd4e.png

Defensive & Central Midfielders

Laurent (free from Shrewsbury) will operate as one of the central midfield pair in the preferred 4231 formation

His usual partner will be Rinomhota (HGC originally signed for free from Portchester) and the pair form an excellent shield in front of the central defenders

Semedo (loan from Benfica) may not start when all are fit he can play any central midfield role from DM to AMC with ease

Araruna (undisclosed from Sao Paulo) has been transfer listed but will provide cover in this role if he remains at the club

351802214_Laurent1.png.b72a7077b4f04408423460853ec248d6.png

1420283023_Rinomhota1.png.440bc89e16f17a09019ced49cc7a5023.png

900327842_Semedo1.png.285b21cfeeb176bbdacdd46526bb2e41.png

134275553_Araruna1.png.843a95c3303cadfea0e4cedbba123d52.png

Attacking Midfielders

Swift (free from Chelsea) can play in central midfield or AMC and is a playmaker of good quality

Ejaria (£3m from Liverpool after a loan) is a skilful player who is right-footed but usually plays more on the left where he cuts infield and drifts in to good play-linking positions

Olise (HGC) is a future star already doing the business, he is left-footed and could play that side but usually operates better from the right or in the AMC role

Aluko (undisclosed from Fulham) has never really established himself and is transfer listed but hard to shift - he can play from the right or AMC and is left-footed

1710264283_Swift1.png.186b903681a4cf64251947d571a09af6.png

1804004652_Ejaria1.png.28144328e2ced47d526e5061a7982240.png

360179149_Olise1.png.85eb406300661e30db254d7c571eb4d6.png

1595053978_Aluko1.png.7cb9f522905305b602d5be4d141e3567.png

Forwards

Joao (undisclosed from Sheffield Wednesday) is the key component in the team - a lone striker with strength, power, pace, skill, aerial power and finishing ability 

Meite (free from PSG) will understudy that central role although the left-footer is used almost exclusively as a wide target man on the right and will mainly start there

Puscas (undisclosed from Inter Milan) has not really established himself and isn't an effective lone striker - not yet transfer listed, but as 3rd choice he might well be sold

Baldock (undisclosed from Brighton) is transfer listed but again hard to shift, he works hard but doesn't score and is too short to play the role of lone striker - not needed 

894253146_Joao1.png.59faa4613e48f11c0220775fc5c12cea.png

705306712_Meite1.png.79203f62292bd41f3e2798fdd7e23a7e.png

1806776995_Puscas1.png.ea1b2adb42699fbc78d420e29e36c172.png

2120880616_Baldock1.png.74dfb3041737598b22c0f393444e0621.png

That leaves a small but versatile squad of 20 players, with several development squad players being trusted to come in and support the main group in emergencies

On the transfer front, there are no real plans to do anything, although there are no natural wingers so one of those may be nice if it can be done cheaply

If Puscas is sold on we may look to possibly bring in another striker - there are three or four that might appeal as there aren't really obvious choices in the Under 23 squad

However, that would only be done if we lose one of ours first because we will follow the real life 'EFL must approve first' transfer conditions as realistically as possible 

Edited by Jogo Bonito

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

76895923_RFCheader.jpg.21fb7b248ec0b3323c7e156755304d5b.jpg

Part 4

862322508_ReadingFC2020-21.png.ca2e7c11824e6ccbac9bfef452670ce8.png

1363414341_meetthesquad.jpg.75384c63a7d952d0121d6a59684653c4.jpg

Goalkeepers

Rafael (free from Sampdoria) is undisputed first choice and is one of the best 'keepers in the division

Southwood (HGC) will deputise and there are two good prospects in the younger age groups if we need to drag them up at any time

1220400813_Rafael1.png.7095947c44f5460f9a28bf704dc9fb6f.png

683786125_Southwood1.png.d2c8fc1dd08366d40317472c4c7ade26.png

Central Defenders

Club captain Moore (undisclosed from Leicester) is an automatic pick and although right-footed he will be to the left of the pair if alongside another right-footer

He will usually be partnered by Morrison (free from Birmingham) at the heart of the defence, with the vice captain being to his right 

McIntyre (HGC) is a more than capable deputy who can easily step in at any time - he is left-sided so will also cover the left-back position

Holmes (HGC) is a central defender who has been used at right-back too, so he will be 4th choice in the centre and 2nd choice at right-back

1650109350_Moore1.png.8f05e9e6ab89ac930b4db55aeee01543.png

1580970755_Morrison1.png.180197caf96398c936130e68ee0883d0.png

1017105651_McIntyre1.png.f90f7037444f250afe4b3b92d12072e0.png

1969379449_Holmes1.png.befca3e7c0e52bf0e665f2c0a6f7ec97.png

Full Backs

Yiadom (free from Barnsley) will be the right-back,  and although right-footed he is almost as effective at left-back so can cover there too

Support will come from Holmes or Araruna, who are both able to play this position

Richards (HGC) is left-footed and will start there whenever fit, his back up will come from Yiadom (who can switch sides), McIntyre or two youth prospects

1430182121_Yiadom1.png.112bdaa722cb8a5e983e2ae54ed37a8d.png

398073948_Richards1.png.ed717b79f29cfa1de8f5b6059639bd4e.png

Defensive & Central Midfielders

Laurent (free from Shrewsbury) will operate as one of the central midfield pair in the preferred 4231 formation

His usual partner will be Rinomhota (HGC originally signed for free from Portchester) and the pair form an excellent shield in front of the central defenders

Semedo (loan from Benfica) may not start when all are fit he can play any central midfield role from DM to AMC with ease

Araruna (undisclosed from Sao Paulo) has been transfer listed but will provide cover in this role if he remains at the club

351802214_Laurent1.png.b72a7077b4f04408423460853ec248d6.png

1420283023_Rinomhota1.png.440bc89e16f17a09019ced49cc7a5023.png

900327842_Semedo1.png.285b21cfeeb176bbdacdd46526bb2e41.png

134275553_Araruna1.png.843a95c3303cadfea0e4cedbba123d52.png

Attacking Midfielders

Swift (free from Chelsea) can play in central midfield or AMC and is a playmaker of good quality

Ejaria (£3m from Liverpool after a loan) is a skilful player who is right-footed but usually plays more on the left where he cuts infield and drifts in to good play-linking positions

Olise (HGC) is a future star already doing the business, he is left-footed and could play that side but usually operates better from the right or in the AMC role

Aluko (undisclosed from Fulham) has never really established himself and is transfer listed but hard to shift - he can play from the right or AMC and is left-footed

1710264283_Swift1.png.186b903681a4cf64251947d571a09af6.png

1804004652_Ejaria1.png.28144328e2ced47d526e5061a7982240.png

360179149_Olise1.png.85eb406300661e30db254d7c571eb4d6.png

1595053978_Aluko1.png.7cb9f522905305b602d5be4d141e3567.png

Forwards

Joao (undisclosed from Sheffield Wednesday) is the key component in the team - a lone striker with strength, power, pace, skill, aerial power and finishing ability 

Meite (free from PSG) will understudy that central role although the left-footer is used almost exclusively as a wide target man on the right and will mainly start there

Puscas (undisclosed from Inter Milan) has not really established himself and isn't an effective lone striker - not yet transfer listed, but as 3rd choice he might well be sold

Baldock (undisclosed from Brighton) is transfer listed but again hard to shift, he works hard but doesn't score and is too short to play the role of lone striker - not needed 

894253146_Joao1.png.59faa4613e48f11c0220775fc5c12cea.png

705306712_Meite1.png.79203f62292bd41f3e2798fdd7e23a7e.png

1806776995_Puscas1.png.ea1b2adb42699fbc78d420e29e36c172.png

2120880616_Baldock1.png.74dfb3041737598b22c0f393444e0621.png

That leaves a small but versatile squad of 20 players, with several development squad players being trusted to come in and support the main group in emergencies

On the transfer front, there are no real plans to do anything, although there are no natural wingers so one of those may be nice if it can be done cheaply

If Puscas is sold on we may look to possibly bring in another striker - there are three or four that might appeal as there aren't really obvious choices in the Under 23 squad

However, that would only be done if we lose one of ours first because we will follow the real life 'EFL must approve first' transfer conditions as realistically as possible 

Interested to see how you get on! Nice work on the contracts, big release fee for Olise which was one of my priorities also. 

Puscas was decent for me first season - he got 29 league goals and Joao got 16 and i only play with 1 striker lol Meite got 9 from the left wing before he moved to QPR.

Whats your plans for Dorsett and Abbey? I cant seem to improve them that much

39 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Interested to see how you get on! Nice work on the contracts, big release fee for Olise which was one of my priorities also. 

Puscas was decent for me first season - he got 29 league goals and Joao got 16 and i only play with 1 striker lol Meite got 9 from the left wing before he moved to QPR.

Impressed with this chap from my youth intake, possible future CB!1687213041_Screenshot(26).thumb.png.530fccf4457f315678abc25cc7133918.png

613.png.90be70b40783d71be5fcdcf7b57af207.png

Blackpool FC: End of 2020 Update

I've reached the end of the calendar year, and near enough the mid point of my first season in charge here. I left you after the first couple of months where we had a solid start and sat in a decent league position. There has been a lot of football since then though, and we've set up a decent platform for a very solid season indeed. Here is just a quick snippet of how life at Bloomfield Road has gone for me so far.

752782879_midfixtures.png.11c4495bd67fb9cadadb9eadaf4c8b00.png

Since I left you we've played a further twelve league matches, and suffered just the one defeat. We are flying on an unbeaten run that has seen us climb into the top two and maybe start to think about the possibility of automatic promotion. We navigated a very difficult and long December unbeaten, including victories against big sides. The 2-0 home defeat of league leaders Hull City a real highlight.

146225861_midtable.png.185c9b0a6bd6b9392ecd3940b0d93d75.png

Player wise everybody has chipped in with performances, and I can't really pinpoint anyone of having disappointed. Summer arrival Perry Ng has been a positive arrival, and Folarin Balogun is our top goal scorer thus far with 8 league goals across his 20 appearances. I shall leave the cup competitions until an end of season review, but fair to say that they didn't go as planned. We can focus on our league performances now though, which I guess is a silver lining to that.

------------------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours

none

613.png.2120cdb9178f8f6b965cecddcc2e8dd1.png

Typically the moment January hits, my team gets a piece of really bad news. Arsenal decide to recall loanee Folarin Balogun from his loan with us. All because I changed the role of my centre striker and he was playing in a different one to agreed in his original deal. It's gutting for us as it leaves a hole up top. Gary Madine has not been good enough, and Ben Woodburn has played too well on the right wing for me to want to move him about. I have got someone in mind to replace him, and we are already in discussions to get a deal done.

1729921044_NLundulu.png.37db4649fe3f61f8f9bdf1f06a066382.png

It's frustrating as I really didn't plan on doing much during this transfer window. My main target was simply to look for a central midfield player to add some depth to our squad. We're performing well in the league, and it would be stupid of me to go disrupting harmony and that by completing a clear out here. 19-year old Arnau Puigmal may arrive on loan from Manchester United for the rest of the campaign, but we are currently still in discussions with them to bring the young midfielder in. I don't anticipate any more arrivals, but a few younger players may depart on loan deals.

-------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours

none

9 hours ago, warlock said:

In other news...

Why is my name confusing lol. My new 2 favorite players of all time are Cristiano Ronaldo and David Beckham hence Ronaldo Beckham lol.

613.png.f65f9b98cfafed632b83656c41141218.png

Blackpool FC: January Window Closes

So the January transfer window has slammed shut, and that draws to a close our transfer activities until the end of the season here. I didn't plan on conducting much business, but in the end there was actually a fair bit of activity here at Bloomfield Road. It was of course all started by Arsenal's decision to recall Folarin Balogun from his loan deal with us, an incredibly disappointing piece of news. I also allowed the loan deal of Ben Woodburn to expire midway through the month, and he returned to Liverpool. He had done well for us, but they wanted a £3,000 per week contribution to his wages in order to extend, and I simply didn't want to pay that much. Full back Romaric Yapi was also recalled from his loan by Brighton. He had featured sparingly, and I was happy to clear the wage money we were paying him anyway. West Ham winger Dan Kemp had his loan terminated by us having featured only in the Papa Johns Trophy. More money released on our wage bill which was pleasing. The only loan deal that was extended was that of Arsenal centre back Dan Ballard. He'd been a regular in my side and I really didn't want us to lose him after such a solid start.

1053752919_janouts.png.e0c8b9a820df80afa63c5f9d8857d125.png

The moment the new year hit, winger CJ Hamilton came to me complaining about his lack of first team football. I don't blame him though, as he hadn't featured at all in the league all season. We put him on the transfer list, and were delighted when Peterborough offered us £200,000 for his services. That's a great amount to bring in for somebody who wasn't remotely in my first team plans. We managed to bring in some more cash on another player who hadn't featured for us at all during our league season. Striker Jerry Yates arrived just previously to me, but never shone to me as someone who deserved first team football. I decided to cash in, and thankfully Lincoln City obliged, paying us £45,000. More first team football complaints from Daniel Leo Gretarsson led to his sale as well. I am adamant I will not keep anybody at the club who doesn't want to be here and isn't happy to be with us.

1283831107_Janins.png.0fba3ac61f3f8d33838ebc6551df8d05.png

We did manage to sign a striker on a loan deal, but it didn't turn out to be Dan N'Lundulu. Despite making an approach, he accepted a deal from elsewhere and joined Wigan Athletic on loan until the end of the campaign. We did end up having a number of different targets for that position, and the chosen one turned out to be Ricky Jade-Jones. The 18-year old had already been highlighted by me as a future signing, and I am hoping we can convince him to want to be here long term after this loan deal with us. He looks a really promising talent, and I am sure he can score some goals for us between now and the end of the season. He bagged 3 in 9 league appearances for his club before opting to head here on loan. We also missed out on the other deal I highlighted in my brief previous update. Manchester United midfielder Arnau Puigmal signed a pre-contract agreement to join Sevilla in the summer, hence rejecting the opportunity to spend the rest of the season on loan with us here in League One. I ended up opting for young Bristol City man Han-Noah Massengo. I didn't really want to pay to loan him in, but we couldn't afford enough of a wage contribution and I see him as a long term target here. hopefully he can impress and we can look to bring him in permanently when his loan deal ends.

In other news we triggered a new one year contract extension for club captain Sullay Kaikai. He hasn't been as impressive as I would've hoped, but his contract was up in the summer and I would rather have the ability to bring in some money for him rather than lose him on a free transfer. He has the rest of the season to try and win me round to be a part of my vision moving forwards with this football club. I'm pleased that we've managed to trim some of our wage bill this month, without impacting the ability within the squad. Hopefully this will help us on a financial basis moving forwards.

1489155953_JanFixtures.png.d5380940aa20ef375185cec13d923957.png

On the field it was a mixed month although we ended it well. We started by rescuing a late 1-1 draw with Bristol Rovers, before losing our unbeaten run to runaway leaders Hull City. Fearing a loss of form in the wake of that defeat the boys put in probably their best performance of the season in smashing struggling Northampton. The game also included a first Blackpool goal for new signing Ricky Jade-Jones. A first goal for the club by Perry Ng saw off Accrington before we ended the month with a solid victory over Wigan Athletic. A couple of postponements helped decongest the month, but it will make things harder with fixture congestion going forwards. We still sit 3rd in the table, but hot on the heels of the teams above us.

----------------------------------------------------
Blackpool FC Honours:

none

3 hours ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Thanks, yes I was delighted that Olise and Richards signed those new deals. Both are on very respectable wages too.

Puscas just doesn't work hard enough for me, he is a selfish player and cannot play the lone striker role well in reality. He also doesn't score enough or offer enough in other ways to make him a trusted and favoured player (although great from the penalty spot). Joao is possibly the best striker in the league and if I get him performing anything like that, I will be delighted. If he is ever unavailable, I would rather shift Meite to the striker position than use Puscas. Puscas will be clear 3rd choice, if I decide to keep him.

Abbey has been loaned out to Aldershot on the promise he will be a regular starter. Dorsett is probably 5th in line for the central defender role and will remain with the Under 23 squad. I see he is listed as right-footed but am trying to overlook the fact he is stronger on his left in reality!

Edit: Josh Welsh looks really fantastic, lovely to have a talent like that come through.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

6 minutes ago, warlock said:

@goonergez Posh Ricky should bag a few goals for you. Hope the success continues!

He's done alright for us so far. He's grabbed 4 goals in 9 appearances so far. Our season has stuttered a little bit, but not alarmingly. We're a few points off of the automatic places now, but we have played the majority of teams from the top end of the table already. Hopefully we can dispatch some of the teams from lower down and put together a late charge.

1395406633_RFCheader.jpg.94e78ce42ab96ab0fcf66af76f089fec.jpg

Part 5

With pre-season completed, Veljko was satisfied with what he had seen - the only loss being a narrow one at home to Premier League side Brighton last time out

1357553457_ReadingFixtures1.0.png.fd7c839a1937d7529865e81763af9237.png

More concerning was the state of the club's finances - but Veljko knew what he was getting in to and promised to address and improve the financial status as best he could

652678740_RFCfinances1.0.png.c73c604970d8c1f8fdbd4d647519b89f.png

The EFL churned out the fixture list for the Championship campaign, which was due to start slightly later than normal in mid-September

2087681762_RFCfixturelist.thumb.jpg.5b298425b480b9c6d3ea9d731b468039.jpg

But the season opener saw a home Carabao Cup tie with League 2 side Walsall, who included striker Elijah Adebyao in their ranks

The Royals, meanwhile, were missing Meite (three game suspension carried over from last season), Puscas (international duty) and the injured Richards and Ejaria

1812092057_RFCpreview.png.bc9a48b3d43f3f046b31c792098d93b7.png

Keen to maintain the 4231 formation, the new manager changed the roles on the flanks to try and get the best out of Aluko and Olise

With only 16 first team players available, Under 23 players Bristow (left-back/left-midfield) and Tetek (central midfield) were promoted to fill the bench  

Nevers would have taken the latter's place as he can play advanced on the flanks or as a central striker, but he was also on international duty

870283431_Readingtactics1.png.1cec55de88737bf12658be866c38491f.png

Actually, it got worse than that because after one more click it emerged that Yiadom was also on international duty

Holmes was therefore moved from the bench to start at right-back, and with next in line Dorsett also away it was another defender Luzon drafted in for the bench

Not the best start by any means, as that was leaving only 15 proper first team players available (three of these transfer listed by Veljko)

Edited by Jogo Bonito

613.png.f5d133808a66c69e4aea90f467f6e55b.png

Blackpool FC: 2020/21 Season Review

My first season at Bloomfield Road has drawn to a close, and it was an exciting one for us. My first target upon takeover was a solid push at the play-offs, with the long term aspiration of returning this team to the Premier League. We enjoyed a positive first half to the season, and when I left you we sat in 3rd place as the January transfer window closed. We had lost a number of goal scoring options in that window, as Folarin Balogun was recalled by Arsenal and Ben Woodburn returned to Liverpool. The arrival of Ricky Jade-Jones was meant to prevent us from any goal scoring troubles, but it didn't really work. Not that Jade-Jones didn't impress though. He scored 7 goals in the run down of the season, but we weren't getting as many from elsewhere on the field. Thankfully our positive defensive work continued, with my organised approach proving fruitful. We scrambled our way through the remainder of the season, but not due to any real poor defensive work. The issue became a number of 0-0 draws at a time when Portsmouth, Sunderland and Charlton were absolutely flying. We slipped off the pace of automatic promotion, but were never really in danger of missing out on a play-off spot. We clinched our spot with two games to spare, meaning we could afford to shuffle our pack and try and get everybody fit and ready for the play-offs. Back to back defeats saw us slip a couple of places down, but to reach the play-off places was all that mattered.

1225896270_ENDtable.png.25a43d5f1f6aa9f74f631caacd1d6482.png

A tough looking set of opponents awaited in the play-offs, and we were drawn against 3rd placed Portsmouth. Similarly to us they had finished the season poorly, winning just one of their last six matches. We were missing a large number of players through injury, and I was a bit fearful of the first leg, which was at home. The game was unsurprisingly a tense affair, and the first half ended as it started with both sides playing cautiously. The second half started a little better, and a smart finish from Ricky Jade-Jones gave us the lead on 51 minutes. I hoped that would be the start of a good second half, but just two minutes later we were level again. Poor defensive work allowing for a simple finish from there left back to level. That little three minute period was as good as the game got though, and it returned to a cagey affair before finishing level at 1-1. The worst news came in the aftermath though, as Ricky Jade-Jones was ruled out for three weeks with a knee ligament injury. With Gary Madine also injured we were left without an out and out striker, meaning club captain Sullay Kaikai would have to try and do the job for us in the second leg.

The second leg was a struggle for us right from the off. From the very first whistle we were battered. A disallowed goal and a header cannoning off the crossbar in the opening ten minutes. We managed to resist until the 36th minute, but we were deservedly behind. Four minutes later disaster struck, and poor defending saw us fall two goals behind and really in trouble. Deservedly we were 0-2 behind, and I couldn't see us getting back into the game. I prayed we could cling on until half time, but we didn't, conceding again in stoppage time. My heart was broken, and we were basically confirmed to another campaign in League One. We defended much better in the second period, but to be honest we didn't create anything of note. We held on better, but eventually conceded a fourth deep into injury time to really humiliate us. What a terrible way to end the season and condemn us to another season in League One.

100933688_ENDplay-off.png.88331ed911a72e4059f61639a9bd3111.png

We entered the FA Cup in the First Round, and exited just as quickly. A defeat at home to fellow League One side Swindon Town seeing us eliminated at the first hurdle. The same happened in the League Cup. My very first game in charge of the club was a drab 0-1 defeat at home to Charlton Athletic that saw us exit the competition. A trophy that seems to get in the way of other fixtures, but one that I feel I can make us competitive in. During this first season it was tricky though, with a packed fixture list going to be really tricky even before any potential qualification from the group stage. We picked up a decent enough looking draw, alongside Accrington, Barrow and Leeds under-23 side. Our first game came before the league had kicked off, and so we named a full strength side against Accrington. A comfortable 2-0 victory at home gave us the perfect start. I named a much changed side for the second game as we travelled away to League Two outfit Barrow. We got two early goals and despite conceding early in the second half we held on for the victory, and with it guaranteed progression. Qualification with a game to spare meant I could shuffle my pack for the game against Leeds under-23s. A much changed side saw Luke Garbutt score a 92nd minute winner to complete a 2-1 victory and clean sweep in the Group Stage. We drew Aston Villa under-23s in the next round, and disappointingly lost out 0-2.

A heart breaking end to an otherwise successful campaign. The board wanted us to make the play-offs, and despite the media thinking we couldn't it was exactly what we achieved. I wasn't expecting it, but it was a nice thing to achieve. I want promotion next season though, and that'll mean making some significant changes to the squad. We need an out and out goal scorer, as well as a little more productivity from the wing positions. Defensively we were good all season, and that is a real solid foundation to build upon. The cup competitions were somewhat disappointing, but during a really congested season I think not progressing maybe helped us with our focus on the league. Losing Woodburn and Balogun at the same time really hurt us, although Ricky Jade-Jones did impress me. I think Peterborough will want to much for us to keep him, but trying to sign him permanently will be one of my priorities for the summer.
The squad does need some work, although finances are a little tight. I'm going to have to focus on free transfers and loan deals as there simply isn't much money to play around with. If we are to spend money then I am going to have to raise it myself through player sales.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours:

none

613.png.794b468621a29b0e16839b4307c986b0.png

Blackpool FC: 2021/22 Preview

I enjoyed a pretty solid first season in charge at Bloomfield Road, albeit ending in gut wrenching fashion. A play-off capitulation saw us smashed by Portsmouth and condemn us to another campaign within League One. I wasn't too disappointed though, and if I am honest last season was almost a bit of a free pass for me. I can see myself moving around on this career quite a bit, and last season was a great start for me in regards to my current job security here. I decided not to look to jump from this club just yet though, coming back for this campaign with a real sense of unfinished business. Looking back it was the departures in January of Ben Woodburn and Folarin Balogun that hurt our season, as we struggled somewhat to score in their absence. I came into the summer confident that we could make some improvements to the squad that could see us at least match the efforts of my first campaign here.

After my arrival here last summer the board had told me they expected automatic promotion to the Championship at the end of my second season at the helm. Thankfully they ended up changing that as the new season drew in. Instead they asked for a top-half finish, something I was more than confident in. As said previously, I plan on pushing as high up this league table as possible this time around, definitely a season culminating in promotion. In order to achieve this goals any strengthening of the squad would have to be done on a shoestring though. A transfer budget of just £54,000 was handed to me, although with departures the weekly wage bill was significantly trimmed. In order to do anything other than bring in loan deals or free agents I would have to shift players on to make my money. Annoyingly the board had also cut our weekly wage budget by £10,000 meaning that even in allowing a number to leave the club we still wouldn't have a lot to play with for new additions. We tried and failed to extend the loan deal of Han-Noah Massengo from Bristol City for this season, as they decided they want him to feature more for the first team. He made 20 very solid appearances for us after his January arrival and would be missed. Fellow midfielder Julien Farre also left at the end of his loan deal here, returning to Brentford. The majority of departures on free transfers were actually players who were away on loan last season.

Right back Oliver Turton was a regular for us last season and Gary Madine was a regular member of our matchday squads.  Both of them departed at the expiration of their contracts here. Adi Yussuf, Cameron Antwi, Liam Feeney, Ben Garrity and Ryan Hardie were all away on loan last season and were allowed to leave when their contracts with us ended. There were a number more, but only of insignificant players.

1170322232_SummerOutgoings.png.d9bc644561dcbd3ae3b538c52aab4290.png

Sales wise we brought in a little money, both on players who weren't regulars. Left back Mitchell only played a handful of matches last season and so was an easy sale and Marvin Ekpiteta didn't play a single minute of league football. Winger Keshi Anderson featured sparingly but wasn't in my plans, so I decided to get him off our wage bill and sold him to Plymouth. Joe Nuttall was away on loan last season and again not in my plans, so more money was raised with his departure.

699293975_SummerArrivals.png.172f3b189740bdd53bc3ccdcc3d09cc7.png

My first incomings of the summer aren't in the above screenshot as they were extensions of current loan deals. Central defender Daniel Ballard extended his loan from Arsenal from the season, as did young striker Ricky Jade-Jones who signed for another year from Peterborough. I would have loved to clinch permanent deals for both of them, but the funds just weren't there to do so. Focusing on improving the squad was difficult due to the lack of freedom in regards to funds. I was forced to shop around a lot, and finding players who could actually improve our squad was very difficult. Much of the summer ended up being focused on younger players who were much more affordable. 18-year old right back Daniel Oyegoke was snapped up after his release by Arsenal and young goalkeeper Jacob Carney came in from Manchester United. The 20-year old will be third choice here this season after the arrival of another keeper too. 33-year old Stephen Henderson comes in as our new number two, after several years experience with Crystal Palace. I was pleased to snap up 30-year old central midfielder Eunan O'Kane after he was let go by Leeds United. He had a pretty decent loan spell with Luton Town last season, and comes in as another option for us in the centre of the park.

Our best signing was probably 24-year old Jerome Sinclair, shortly after he had been released by Watford. He can play on either flank or up front, and I feel we've picked up a really strong player for this level. I'm positive he will be a very big player for us as we chase promotion.

821563206_JeromeSinclair.png.34bd50fdb53500b4c63ac1bf853d53ee.png

The biggest disappointment was my hunt for a striker, to take some of the pressure off of the youngster Jade-Jones. The closest I came to a permanent deal was for a short term fix in bringing in 39-year old Adebayo Akinfenwa after Wycombe Wanderers allowed him to leave. In the end I pulled out of that deal and instead moved to the loan market. Arsenal youngster Tyreece John-Jules had a decent enough loan in this league last season with Doncaster Rovers, and comes in as another option up front. 

If I am honest that was actually a really difficult summer to navigate. I wanted us to bring in some new faces to help us improve, but the lack of financial muscle really damaged my ability to do that. We have brought in some decent players, but the squad is think and I don't think it's up to fighting it out at the top. I think the best hope at this stage may be another crack at the play-offs, although that won't be easy. We're going to be very reliant on Jerome Sinclair and Sullay Kaikai to be creative. Up top hopefully Ricky Jade-Jones can develop quickly and find the net on a regular basis for us. I'd be happy with another play-off finish, and if we do manage that I think it would have to be considered a positive campaign. This season will be vital for my career. If we don't at least match last seasons achievement then I will probably look to move on. I'll be keeping my eye out for any interesting roles that become available over the course of this season.

---------------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours:

none

Some really good work here. @goonergez you've done well there, keep it up.

I am currently playing as Chester so not posting regular updates since I'm not in the football league (yet). I might post as end of season one or something but I will see.

One thing I wanted to check, is it me or are there huge amounts of penalties given on the game since the update? I never noticed it on my Oldham save, and maybe its playing at a lower level and the players being a bit more clumsy, but it seems to be a penalty every other game at the minute. 

1 hour ago, Plainlayzee said:

not posting regular updates since I'm not in the football league

Post away, mate - you're among friends here :)

As to penalties, I haven't noticed anything unusual. Some folks have complained about them ever since beta, for what that's worth.

709.png.da24c5ef1b5e4c027a9bd4c2f3ecdb05.png

Sheffield Wednesday - Season 2 - League One 2023/24

Transfers

After an impressive promotion campaign from us last season saw us top League Two by more than twenty points, we were given an expectation by the board to make the playoffs in our first season back in League One. To do this, I believed we would be good if we kept the core of the squad together, but made a few additions. Our first course of action was to renew the loan of Ethan Galbraith from United, he was great when we brought him in in January so he will be with us for another season. We then swooped for Idris El Mizouni, whom I think is my signing of the summer and will make the AM role his own this season, after signing on a three year deal.

Next in was another loan, Jeff Wood looks like a very exciting young player with a big future in the game. His ability to play centre back, defensive or centre midfield will be a big help for us also. Next through the door were a couple of keepers, after John Ruddy retired this summer. Sinisalo came in on a free and was followed by Ryan Whittaker on loan from Arsenal, whom will most likely be our new number one. The last two in were both loans aswell, as Clarkson returned to the club after his loan was cancelled in January, but he did enough for us to make me go in for him again and also Omotoye came in to challenge Swann and Godden for the sole striker position in our squad.

Overall, am happy with our dealings, loan deals coming in means it is a fairly inexpensive window but I definitely feel like I improved the squad. Politic going out was not planned but he was very moany when El Mizouni came through the door. Instead of staying and fighting for his place, he preferred to leave us and went to Burton Albion.

spacer.png

Fixtures

spacer.png

We start off with three home games from our first four league games, which should help us get accustomed to League One life. We also play Fleetwood away and travel to Salford in the first round of the EFL Trophy. Not a bad start for the Owls to get us firing early on.

@oakesypvfcexcited to see how you're season goes. Got a little feeling you're going to absolutely walk it!

@Plainlayzeeecho the comments. Get in here. More activity is good activity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

613.png.971a9cd607150653415716d2595f1e4b.png

In regards to my save I was back to work today so have only just started playing. I am going to save a detailed update until the end of the season, but here is a quite one. We've started the season well though, and I am pleased with how it's going. Ricky Jade-Jones is starting to improve his goal scoring and is consistently picking us up points now. Jerome Sinclair has been consistently average though, which has been a disappointment. I'm keen to see if we can keep up our bright start though.

379812627_MidTable.png.d37cbd8acb3ced4b0fc33cb0f12dd346.png

The team are playing well, and defensively we still look really strong. Nobody else is bossing the league this season, and we are about where I expect us to be. Our squad is so small though, and we simply don't have any opportunity to increase it.  I have completed one signing for the beginning of the transfer window but that's it and that's our money gone. 25-year old right back Jordan McGee is joining us from Dundee in a £60,000 deal. I didn't plan on making any moves, but youngster Daniel Oyegoke broke his leg early on in the season and is going to miss the majority of the campaign. We needed depth, and also McGee is capable of playing at centre back as well. We may need to move to bring another striker in though, as new Arsenal manager Marcelo Bielsa is all over the fact that Tyreece John-Jules isn't getting much action for us. I have moved one of our youth prospects into the first team squad though.

1773736266_SteveMcCormick.png.0b2473621a6c24b522043671a67ed595.png

I'm quite excited by him if i'm honest. He looks raw, but I love his work rate and the fact he can pass. Hopefully we can get him improving on his vision and his decision making and turn him into a future regular. Our next game is a dead rubber in the Papa Johns Trophy and I think this young man is about to make his debut. I'll return at the end of the campaign with a review, or even later in the season if something important happens. I'm not actively enquiring about available jobs, but I am keeping an eye on any potential openings. The only one that's remotely grabbed my attention so far is the Bristol City job. They're slumped way down in 18th in the Championship. The job hasn't become available yet, but if it does I may throw my name into the hat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours:

none

Some interesting player performances from our EFL championship online save. Ben Brereton and Jason Cummings are red hot.

obraz.png.5e8c8a83eaaa91a8476cd5d125f7a50e.pngobraz.png.cb4827f8601319b8fbc0670633d5e346.png

If someone wants to join to play in Championship or EFL L1 , contact me via steam ("kostropaty")

Edited by Kostropaty

53 minutes ago, Kostropaty said:

Some interesting player performances from our EFL championship online save. Ben Brereton and Jason Cummings are red hot.

obraz.png.5e8c8a83eaaa91a8476cd5d125f7a50e.pngobraz.png.cb4827f8601319b8fbc0670633d5e346.png

If someone wants to join to play in Championship or EFL L1 , contact me via steam ("kostropaty")

What times do you usually play as I work 9-5 Monday to Friday so I can only do evenings and weekends.

613.png.249710f1bd830ee6b7436ae014cc507c.png

Well this is beginning to get very interesting indeed. We're now unbeaten in 11 matches and playing some sublime counter attacking football at times. Ricky Jade-Jones has 14 league goals already, and everything is looking rosy indeed. Could we be on for doing something incredible? During this run we've beaten Barnsley and drawn with both Rotherham and Ipswich.

794263710_DECtable.png.cbf5262aed6b14b43c592e61050996dc.png

------------------------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours:

none

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

What times do you usually play as I work 9-5 Monday to Friday so I can only do evenings and weekends.

Evenings are reserved currently for serie C career mode.

This is starting to get really tense now. We've just got a good 3-3 draw at home to leaders Barnsley to keep us right in the hunt. Disappointingly we were 3-1 up on 88 minutes though. I'm really starting to get nervous as our form has really dipped a bit. January has proven a tough tough month!

517006998_JANtable.png.ed203eba4f6323d161bab6fe4672b7a3.png

-----------------------------------------------------

Blackpool FC Honours:

none