FM21: The English Football League thread

warlock

After I got tired of my Sunderland game and nothing really seemed to catch my attention more than a few months in-game, I've read through almost every page in this thread today. My hope was to find some inspiration for a long term save (new lockdown here in Norway started yesterday...). I've looked at every team that some of you guys have mentioned here, and after a lot of back and forth I've landed on Wigan. It seems like one of the toughest challenges in league one at the moment, but at the same time they have some similarites to Sunderland.

Anyone played with Wigan this year? It was quite easy to get out of the transfer embargo, but while under administration I can't hire any new staff. The club only has an assistant manager and head of youth development to start with, not even a physio.. Hopefully a takeover won't take too long.. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... busy day around here :lol:. Let me just offer congratulations to those of you doing well; commiserations to those who are struggling; and good luck to everyone!

I had expected to have finished October and be ready with my first update on my Darlington save, but I've just managed to fire up the game for the first time today and there's a couple of matches still to play in our opening month. So update tomorrow, probably.

18 minutes ago, nyg said:

After I got tired of my Sunderland game and nothing really seemed to catch my attention more than a few months in-game, I've read through almost every page in this thread today. My hope was to find some inspiration for a long term save (new lockdown here in Norway started yesterday...). I've looked at every team that some of you guys have mentioned here, and after a lot of back and forth I've landed on Wigan. It seems like one of the toughest challenges in league one at the moment, but at the same time they have some similarites to Sunderland.

Anyone played with Wigan this year? It was quite easy to get out of the transfer embargo, but while under administration I can't hire any new staff. The club only has an assistant manager and head of youth development to start with, not even a physio.. Hopefully a takeover won't take too long.. 

Welcome and good luck with Wigan. I'm surprised you're still awake having read every page of this thread today :lol:

11 hours ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Nice work, what league and is that first season?

The Southern League Premier South, which is the level below the Conference North/South. First season and I am using an edited database that makes this level playable.

Here’s my squad for the championship season. Very much on the small side that’s for sure. Sorry for the rubbish screenshots but I took photos and did them about 4am just before work...

47CCA03D-F5C3-4720-9B53-FC1545F52DA8.thumb.jpeg.820ded92d373492cabc53cc55d21fc93.jpeg

8694130F-3331-4510-AB98-9C7E907B3C09.jpeg

Edited by goonergez

Is anyone else experiencing ridiculous amounts of goals in their own division? I'm currently in a title race against two teams whose front two have scored 34, 30, 25 and 24 goals respectively, and we haven't even hit 30 league games - they've combined for eight goals against me in two games as well!

No other division has this issue (the highest scorer anywhere else has 15) - hoping it's not just because I'm using an edited database because it's a little bit game-breaking. Maybe just a freak one-off?

2 hours ago, CityAndColour said:

Is anyone else experiencing ridiculous amounts of goals in their own division? I'm currently in a title race against two teams whose front two have scored 34, 30, 25 and 24 goals respectively, and we haven't even hit 30 league games - they've combined for eight goals against me in two games as well!

No other division has this issue (the highest scorer anywhere else has 15) - hoping it's not just because I'm using an edited database because it's a little bit game-breaking. Maybe just a freak one-off?

I've not seen anything like that myself. Hard to tell if it's a one-off or the edited database playing up. Sorry, not much help there. Thanks for info on Taunton Town too.

@goonergezThanks for the images, no worries on the format - especially at 4am!  A little light in some places (numbers and quality) but hopefully that can be addressed in time. No transfer clauses to cash in now or potentially in the future? I'd say just keep looking for players in England whose contracts are expiring within six months and check on expired contract players too. As the game goes on there are probably some reasonable and affordable (wages) players unassigned to any club.

A little update on Wigan:
The transfer window's closed, the transfer embargo is a closed chapter and I've gotten new owners that also refinanced the debth. Despite the lack of quality and depth in the squad, we've hit the ground running and are currently sitting 6th in the league(just 4 games played) and reached the third round of the EFL cup.  

Managed to both strenghten the squad in some key areas and bring in some talent. Found some, hopefully, hidden gems for free in Netherland. Ramsay(not Ramsey) will be a key member of the squad and Charlie Brown seems to be my main man up front. Joe Garner tore his hamstring and he's got 10 goals in 61 matches the last two seasons.. 

Also has to hire staff for almost every role. Happy for every tip on staff for League One.. Thank you! 

b58884c66dd1f4aa73431576191390aa.jpg

Darlington, November 2020

image.png.3bb8f68cdb78e9b2b96a9f8779717d55.png

After the long pre-season, there was a tough introduction to competitive football with 8 games in October, greatly extended by our early success in the FA Cup. The opening league game against Chester was expected to be a tough one but we cruised through with little difficulty, before immediately embarrassing ourselves against Southport where we enjoyed 55% possession and 9 shots on target but couldn't find the back of the net. Against Boston, Campbell gave us an early lead but two quick goals just before halftime saw us start the second half trailing. Campbell bagged a second to earn a point but yet again we struggled to convert possession into quality chances.

We were much better against Kidderminster, although the final score flattered us a little as we scored twice in the last 5 minutes. The 4132 wide diamond was forced by a couple of midfield injuries, but it worked so well that I tried it again against league leaders Alfreton. Sadly, we were dismal, conceding to their only shot on target after 9 minutes, and then failing to score despite them playing with 10 men for 75 minutes.

So a very mixed start to our campaign, with just 7pts from a possible 15. The good news is that Campbell and Charman have forged a great partnership up top, aided by 19-year-old Levi Amantchi as backup targetman. Things don't look so rosy elsewhere in the squad. We're short of at least one decent CM, better quality all round in the fullback positions, and we need some better backups on the wing. Unfortunately, those upgrades will have to wait until next summer - we're maxed out on wage budget, even after converting my £7.5k transfer funds.

I did manage to bring in a couple of new faces. 19-year-old Max Broughton, once of Bolton, came in at CB and my coaches rate him as 5* potential, while 22-year-old Adam Bale is an ex-Sunderland and Hartlepool CM who brings some much-needed quality to the midfield.

I was hoping for a good payday from the FA Cup first round proper, but sadly we drew National league Eastleigh at home, which will be our opening game in November. Any windfall will depend on us getting past them.

396528988_RFCheader.jpg.6b363afefffc63147a5a8b698ee83e82.jpg

Part 8

1845768267_ReadingFixtures1.3.png.35ee1ac60047c887b7f8c297f5aed6f6.png

emirates-facup-horiz-red-109x81-taxi.png.100bb83f359951e32fcda85c976ed233.png

After the New Year got off to a losing start in the league with defeat at Huddersfield (2nd) it was time to focus on the FA Cup

But with his side in really poor form for the last month, a trip to League 1 side Burton Albion presented a potential banana skin for Veljko's boys in Round 3

Lacking fluidity and confidence, it was left to Michael Olise to score the only goal of the game to steer the club through to the next round in unconvincing fashion

However after Yakou Meite secured a late point against promotion candidates Brentford, Coventry were dispatched for a long overdue league win

This set the team up nicely for another difficult FA Cup date as Premier League side Fulham rocked in to town for Round 4

However the team impressed and goals from Meite and a brace from Lucas Joao sealed a tremendous 3-0 win that was by no means flattering for The Royals

1344027274_MeiteandJoao.thumb.jpg.fa6147fa648ccbfbe276f7b0230f7f8d.jpg

This seemed to suggest that the spell of poor form had been left behind, but two more league defeats rounded off January in frustrating fashion

March started better with a hard-fought 1-0 win in atrocious weather conditions at Stoke thanks to the in-form Olise again

It was a timely result in more ways than one, because it was FA Cup Round 5 time next and Leicester were welcomed to Berkshire 

Two superb goals from Joao put the hosts in command before Jamie Vardy grabbed a goal back on the stroke of half time for the cunning Foxes

With 15 minutes to go it was still 2-1 though, and the 4231 was ditched for this somewhat more conservative 4-3-2-1 with nine men just blocking the path to goal

As you can see from the shot totals, corners and possession it was backs to the wall stuff - but it worked and booked a spot in the next round   

831801345_ReadingvLeicesterReview.png.b96df1a34ed62c2b2456063099dd5761.png

The league form has been a bit hit and miss since then with plenty of points dropped - but a further five unbeaten games have got the side back to the brink of the top-six

Most of the last two months has seen the side sat 8th-10th, but with 13 league games to go it is certainly not over with 5th and 6th still looking up for grabs

2082511638_Readingprogress1.3.thumb.png.386d27b3f04d9c95b8b0b7449b4bb188.png

The transfer window was a quiet affair, with only a winger and striker being considered as possible additions

The three prime striker targets were still all impossible (Lowe, Moore, Riis) and there was no deal concluded for a winger either

However, for a while it looked like the Joao understudy striker had been found - and at a bargain price too

All efforts were put in to securing the signature of Orlando City starlet Daryl Dike who had taken his prolific youth goals record in to their senior MLS side

The young American was loan-listed but for some reason a loan offer was not allowed to be made when the window was open

Instead a derogatory offer of just £500,000 was tabled for the £1.7 million-rated striker - one which was amazingly accepted

However after agreeing personal terms, the disappointed youngster learned that his WP had been rejected

1608516057_Dikedealdead01_02_21.png.f0a94cc2c1b09cc1fad4a7f08c896c7b.png

1589798147_DikeWP01_02_21.png.2badfe9d96227c652dd3abd8d31b8805.png

As the window closed, it looked like that was that - but remarkably a few days later a loan deal suddenly did become possible   

No time was wasted in going back in, although there was no willingness from them to accept a future fee clause (mandatory or optional) even way above £500,000

The loan would have to start in the next transfer window (Summer 2021) and would only be for six months, but that still seemed like a fantastic opportunity for Veljko

676530546_Dikeloanoffer04_02_21.png.d8269f0fd4bd7c71da8fd480ccac6670.png

But alas it wasn't to be, and the WP was again rejected and the entire move had to be cancelled off

1853239956_DikeloanWP10_02_21.png.7436a5559933a73f871520205fbf4f43.png

The only incoming business done in the window then came a few days later, and ironically it was also a Stateside move

Leeds-born striker Jackson Conway was available after his contract expired, and with dual American-English nationality there would be no WP issues to worry about

With some concerns over the youth strikers coming through the ranks, he was added to the Under 23 squad as one for the future on very low wages

2107762828_Conwaydeal09_02_21.png.cc3be7b4b3a08116fc95ee499a34950b.png

268877216_Conwayjoins09_02_21.png.aab38ec1ba6d17ecbf177c20e4a3eb7c.png

A couple of youngsters were sent out on loan at their own request, including central midfielder Dejan Tetek to Barrow

He was already getting first team minutes, but after Veljko rejected permanent transfer offers from Fulham, Aston Villa and Millwall he agitated for a temporary move away

The only other noteworthy story came in the form of another new contract, this one dished out to a deserving Josh Laurent who has really had a great first season 

686405360_Laurentcontract24_02_21.png.dde4df4e7f32a051fd17ec72e41d85f9.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

@Jogo Bonito Going well in the cup, and you seem to be in one of those weird spells where your league form is better away than at home. Still looking good for a playoff spot :thup:

In contention, yes. It's probably the counter-attacking 4231 making us quite good away and a bit more laboured at home. Although that doesn't explain results like Fulham (and the first half against Leicester where we took it to them).

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Although that doesn't explain results like Fulham

Some things are beyond the ken of mortal man :lol:. I can't begin to explain our form at Darlington - we can go from brilliant to abysmal in the space of 15 minutes!

5 minutes ago, warlock said:

Some things are beyond the ken of mortal man :lol:. I can't begin to explain our form at Darlington - we can go from brilliant to abysmal in the space of 15 minutes!

You're not wrong. But you'll work it out at Darlington.

I'm going to try York for sure this year now that I set up last season's retro kits in to this version.

5 minutes ago, stephen.mcconnell1 said:

Im just starting my Swansea City save trying to replicate the tiki taka under the Rodgers days

That will be fun. And they have a really strong squad to start with too. 

You're not wrong. But you'll work it out at Darlington.

I'm going to try York for sure this year now that I set up last season's retro kits in to this version.

That will be fun. And they have a really strong squad to start with too. 

Yes, predicted 7th in the first season, play off are my aim but alot of good teams in the league

613.png.f56b1d02882c86cc5a97b65d3fe29700.png

And so after a little over three seasons in charge at Blackpool I have departed and into a new challenge. We had a simply woeful start to the season, unable to find goals after losing Ricky Jade-Jones to the end of his loan spell. Connor Wickham had grabbed 3 goals, but after the first 14 games we sat one place outside of the relegation zone with just 13 points. My last game in charge was particularly sour, as we were thumped 0-5 away at rivals Blackburn. That increased our winless run to nine matches and with no end in sight.

For me it was the lack of finance that was killing my morale here. We had done really well last season to avoid dropping straight back down to League One, but we simply weren't able to improve the squad over the summer. I lacked confidence going into the campaign, and so it proved to be right after that start.

1097086584_DepartureTable.png.d9e72c7bd4ffbb387cb942236d7408c9.png

I'll withhold who I have departed for just for now, and return with a takeover report once I have written it. I've loved my time at Blackpool, but now the time has come for me to embark upon a new challenge. I am hoping that my replacement manages to solve the issues at Bloomfield Road though, as I would be gutted if they ended up being relegated after my departure.

18 minutes ago, goonergez said:

And so after a little over three seasons in charge at Blackpool I have departed and into a new challenge. We had a simply woeful start to the season, unable to find goals after losing Ricky Jade-Jones to the end of his loan spell. Connor Wickham had grabbed 3 goals, but after the first 14 games we sat one place outside of the relegation zone with just 13 points. My last game in charge was particularly sour, as we were thumped 0-5 away at rivals Blackburn. That increased our winless run to nine matches and with no end in sight.

For me it was the lack of finance that was killing my morale here. We had done really well last season to avoid dropping straight back down to League One, but we simply weren't able to improve the squad over the summer. I lacked confidence going into the campaign, and so it proved to be right after that start.

I'll withhold who I have departed for just for now, and return with a takeover report once I have written it. I've loved my time at Blackpool, but now the time has come for me to embark upon a new challenge. I am hoping that my replacement manages to solve the issues at Bloomfield Road though, as I would be gutted if they ended up being relegated after my departure.

Well you gave it a good go, and I can understand your decision to walk away. My guess it will be a 'better' team struggling in the same league as you (Swansea, Preston etc.), or a  'better' team in League 1 already. 

14 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Well you gave it a good go, and I can understand your decision to walk away. My guess it will be a 'better' team struggling in the same league as you (Swansea, Preston etc.), or a  'better' team in League 1 already. 

You’re not far wrong although haven’t listed them just yet 😉😉😉 

I did give it my all, but the summer and work permit issues (that you yourself will understand) really drained my love for the team. We didn’t add enough quality and I couldn’t see us avoiding the drop if I’m honest. Wick ham had looked the best option for scoring goals, but he’s so unfit and constantly picked up little injuries to miss a game here and a game there. Adebayo was a terrible signing too. He grabbed 1 goal in 30 league appearances last season (albeit the majority from the bench), and having taken the mantle up top for us had managed only a solitary goal again. I could smell the end coming and to be honest it was a jump before I was pushed kind of move. I’m excited by my new club though, and there is a lot of potential there. I’m going to crack on for a bit and see what I can do. 

26 minutes ago, goonergez said:

You’re not far wrong although haven’t listed them just yet 😉😉😉 

I did give it my all, but the summer and work permit issues (that you yourself will understand) really drained my love for the team. We didn’t add enough quality and I couldn’t see us avoiding the drop if I’m honest. Wick ham had looked the best option for scoring goals, but he’s so unfit and constantly picked up little injuries to miss a game here and a game there. Adebayo was a terrible signing too. He grabbed 1 goal in 30 league appearances last season (albeit the majority from the bench), and having taken the mantle up top for us had managed only a solitary goal again. I could smell the end coming and to be honest it was a jump before I was pushed kind of move. I’m excited by my new club though, and there is a lot of potential there. I’m going to crack on for a bit and see what I can do. 

It's a shame Adebayo couldn't help you more, although I never tried him as a lone striker. He did well at Walsall and Oxford for me in a pair. Wickham was always going to be a punt.

Anyway, good luck wherever you turn up at next.

Sorry to hear that @goonergezI wish you luck wherever you end up next!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

709.png.da24c5ef1b5e4c027a9bd4c2f3ecdb05.png

January Transfer Update

spacer.png spacer.png

Well, that was an ordeal. I already knew that Dendoncker was going to leave, as well as Konaté due to work permit issues but on deadline day, we had an absolute nightmare. After constant bids for both our star youngsters, Lebrun Swann and John Madley, the board decided to accept two offers for Swann, our top scorer, from Swansea and Everton. With 4 and a half hours of the window to go, Lebrun decided to leave for Everton.

It was then I decided to activate the release clause and sign Elijah Adebayo from Walsall, he will be challenging now first choice Tyrese Omatoye for the lone striker position. Knowing that Konaté was on his way out, Stijn Froeling came in at the start of the month on loan from Wolves and he has made an instant impact. Miguel Lecor comes in as the deputy for departing Dendoncker and Brian Coughlan comes in as one for the future. Jake Forster-Caskey comes in on a two year deal to strengthen in depth in the middle of the park. Dylan Watts comes in to provide a bit of depth all over the midfield after his Shamrock Rovers contract expired.

I am pretty happy with my dealings for the window but could have really done without the board taking Lebrun's future out of my hands, his 19 goals in 27 league games were a big reason we were in the position we are in. Unfortunately though, the refusal to sell Madley has set the squad against me so I will need to get them going again to complete our promotion charge. Good luck in the future Lebrun, hopefully we will see you down the line.

Clitheroe Season 21/22

20210125195346_1.thumb.jpg.b846a28a178344c314ae88653cfa89d8.jpg

A worrying end to our season in the Pitching In Northern Premier League. Rumours of a takeover had swirled through Shawbridge all season, so it didn't come as much of a shock when it finally happened. The timing could have been better, an embargo just as the season ends is the last thing any manager wants.

20210125182640_1.thumb.jpg.3bc79ad888bf517e449e6d460f4e3caf.jpg

Especially when celebrating back to back promotions. Kiwomya was brought in to replace Okera Simmonds and did so with aplomb. His goals dried up after Christmas, that's how dominant he was. David Bremang stepped up and finished with one less. Bremang missed the last 3 games of the season after signing for Evesham. Who play in the division below. He was top scorer at the time, in a team top of the league, to play mid table football down a level...... Maybe Blackburn could sign Salah then?

Onto the Vanarama National League North. I have added Alex Fojticek as a goalkeeper, following his release by Blackpool. He looks a monster for this level. I've put a restriction on myself too, where I only sign players who appear in the scouting centre homepage. No searching for players myself. Trusting the 3 scouts I have. See how it goes. Worked for Fojticek.

@goonergez Sorry things turned sour at Blackpool; good luck with the new venture :thup:

@oakesypvfc Hope you can get Adebayo as a lone striker - as goonergez found, he might struggle with a strike partner, and he was certainly at his best in my Exeter save as part of a duo.

@StePratt Another good season and, hopefully, the momentum will carry you in the VNN.

3 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

I want a team with a decent support base and can play a 442

There are quite a few, depending on how much support you want :). Stoke, Derby, Forest, Rotherham, Bournemouth are all possibilities, either with the starting squad or the addition of a loan striker. Brentford, too.

@StePrattGoing very well with Clitheroe, good luck in the National North! You seem to have some good Northern talents there, although strange to read about the guy who left to a lower league side.

@oakesypvfcThat was a very tough transfer window. You must feel a bit miffed at your star man being sold at the last minute against your wishes. I really hope Elijah justifies his fee but blame @warlockif he doesn't :lol:. Good luck for the new season!

29 minutes ago, warlock said:

@goonergez Sorry things turned sour at Blackpool; good luck with the new venture :thup:

@oakesypvfc Hope you can get Adebayo as a lone striker - as goonergez found, he might struggle with a strike partner, and he was certainly at his best in my Exeter save as part of a duo.

@StePratt Another good season and, hopefully, the momentum will carry you in the VNN.

There are quite a few, depending on how much support you want :). Stoke, Derby, Forest, Rotherham, Bournemouth are all possibilities, either with the starting squad or the addition of a loan striker. Brentford, too.

He has had a few games so far, not a goal yet but hoping he can get firing soon.

12 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@StePrattGoing very well with Clitheroe, good luck in the National North! You seem to have some good Northern talents there, although strange to read about the guy who left to a lower league side.

@oakesypvfcThat was a very tough transfer window. You must feel a bit miffed at your star man being sold at the last minute against your wishes. I really hope Elijah justifies his fee but blame @warlockif he doesn't :lol:. Good luck for the new season!

Yeah it was rough and now the morale of the squad is through the floor. I'm praying a couple of friendlies might be able to get us firing again as fallen into a slump. You'd think players would be happy to be top of the league :lol:

4 minutes ago, oakesypvfc said:

He has had a few games so far, not a goal yet but hoping he can get firing soon.

Yeah it was rough and now the morale of the squad is through the floor. I'm praying a couple of friendlies might be able to get us firing again as fallen into a slump. You'd think players would be happy to be top of the league :lol:

Good luck, take the Nigel Pearson approach. I think what Warlock was trying to say :kriss: is that Elijah is best used in a pairing (he was for me). 

Good luck, take the Nigel Pearson approach. I think what Warlock was trying to say :kriss: is that Elijah is best used in a pairing (he was for me). 

What's the Pearson approach haha? Yeah I reckon so, I think he could be one to sell on for a profit, will probably be a backup option if I sign well in the summer.

10 minutes ago, oakesypvfc said:

What's the Pearson approach haha? Yeah I reckon so, I think he could be one to sell on for a profit, will probably be a backup option if I sign well in the summer.

Pearson (you may be younger and don't remember him as a decent centre-back for The Owls) is a bit of a character. Quite scary and abrupt, and he does not mince his words. I've experienced a Press Conference with him way back when he was Assistant Manager to Bryan Robson at West Brom. They had lost a home FA Cup tie to an inferior team, Robson refused to come out for the media and Pearson did it. My word was he intimidating. More recently, at Leicester, he launched in to a head in the sand and ostrich analogy in another media outburst (google is your friend). But as a manager and motivator, he has some really impressive qualities. Let's just say, he doesn't stand for any nonsense :lol:

3 minutes ago, warlock said:

Indeed! Farbled my worms :idiot:

No problem my friend :lol:

And just to show all us oldies get mixed up, the post I wrote above about Nigel Pearson was very slightly wrong (I had to google it just now). The game was a draw and not a home defeat for them. Although they were beaten away in the replay. Can you imagine how much he would have been fuming by then?!?

4 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Can you imagine how much he would have been fuming by then?!?

Scary prospect :eek:. I always liked Pearson, but I remember him best at Leicester, I think. He'd be a good coach in game but probably wants another manager post.

Getting to the pointy end now...

tab2.JPG.960b012d208bb5b6db194f819593355a.JPG

You would be a brave man to bet against Met Police for the title, given they have gone 21-5-2 over their last 28 matches and have a front two who have combined for 69 goals and 21 assists in 70 starts.

Our next two are Harrow away (13th) and Wimborne at home (21st) which should hopefully present six points, before we finish up with WSM at home and Met Police away, so we could realistically finish anywhere in the top five.

Tiverton has hit a rough patch, with only one win in their last six, but WSM has won seven of nine and has the best player in the division (Dayle Grubb) so I would see them as my biggest threat for 2nd.

13 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

396528988_RFCheader.jpg.6b363afefffc63147a5a8b698ee83e82.jpg

Part 8

1845768267_ReadingFixtures1.3.png.35ee1ac60047c887b7f8c297f5aed6f6.png

emirates-facup-horiz-red-109x81-taxi.png.100bb83f359951e32fcda85c976ed233.png

After the New Year got off to a losing start in the league with defeat at Huddersfield (2nd) it was time to focus on the FA Cup

But with his side in really poor form for the last month, a trip to League 1 side Burton Albion presented a potential banana skin for Veljko's boys in Round 3

Lacking fluidity and confidence, it was left to Michael Olise to score the only goal of the game to steer the club through to the next round in unconvincing fashion

However after Yakou Meite secured a late point against promotion candidates Brentford, Coventry were dispatched for a long overdue league win

This set the team up nicely for another difficult FA Cup date as Premier League side Fulham rocked in to town for Round 4

However the team impressed and goals from Meite and a brace from Lucas Joao sealed a tremendous 3-0 win that was by no means flattering for The Royals

1344027274_MeiteandJoao.thumb.jpg.fa6147fa648ccbfbe276f7b0230f7f8d.jpg

This seemed to suggest that the spell of poor form had been left behind, but two more league defeats rounded off January in frustrating fashion

March started better with a hard-fought 1-0 win in atrocious weather conditions at Stoke thanks to the in-form Olise again

It was a timely result in more ways than one, because it was FA Cup Round 5 time next and Leicester were welcomed to Berkshire 

Two superb goals from Joao put the hosts in command before Jamie Vardy grabbed a goal back on the stroke of half time for the cunning Foxes

With 15 minutes to go it was still 2-1 though, and the 4231 was ditched for this somewhat more conservative 4-3-2-1 with nine men just blocking the path to goal

As you can see from the shot totals, corners and possession it was backs to the wall stuff - but it worked and booked a spot in the next round   

831801345_ReadingvLeicesterReview.png.b96df1a34ed62c2b2456063099dd5761.png

The league form has been a bit hit and miss since then with plenty of points dropped - but a further five unbeaten games have got the side back to the brink of the top-six

Most of the last two months has seen the side sat 8th-10th, but with 13 league games to go it is certainly not over with 5th and 6th still looking up for grabs

2082511638_Readingprogress1.3.thumb.png.386d27b3f04d9c95b8b0b7449b4bb188.png

The transfer window was a quiet affair, with only a winger and striker being considered as possible additions

The three prime striker targets were still all impossible (Lowe, Moore, Riis) and there was no deal concluded for a winger either

However, for a while it looked like the Joao understudy striker had been found - and at a bargain price too

All efforts were put in to securing the signature of Orlando City starlet Daryl Dike who had taken his prolific youth goals record in to their senior MLS side

The young American was loan-listed but for some reason a loan offer was not allowed to be made when the window was open

Instead a derogatory offer of just £500,000 was tabled for the £1.7 million-rated striker - one which was amazingly accepted

However after agreeing personal terms, the disappointed youngster learned that his WP had been rejected

1608516057_Dikedealdead01_02_21.png.f0a94cc2c1b09cc1fad4a7f08c896c7b.png

1589798147_DikeWP01_02_21.png.2badfe9d96227c652dd3abd8d31b8805.png

As the window closed, it looked like that was that - but remarkably a few days later a loan deal suddenly did become possible   

No time was wasted in going back in, although there was no willingness from them to accept a future fee clause (mandatory or optional) even way above £500,000

The loan would have to start in the next transfer window (Summer 2021) and would only be for six months, but that still seemed like a fantastic opportunity for Veljko

676530546_Dikeloanoffer04_02_21.png.d8269f0fd4bd7c71da8fd480ccac6670.png

But alas it wasn't to be, and the WP was again rejected and the entire move had to be cancelled off

1853239956_DikeloanWP10_02_21.png.7436a5559933a73f871520205fbf4f43.png

The only incoming business done in the window then came a few days later, and ironically it was also a Stateside move

Leeds-born striker Jackson Conway was available after his contract expired, and with dual American-English nationality there would be no WP issues to worry about

With some concerns over the youth strikers coming through the ranks, he was added to the Under 23 squad as one for the future on very low wages

2107762828_Conwaydeal09_02_21.png.cc3be7b4b3a08116fc95ee499a34950b.png

268877216_Conwayjoins09_02_21.png.aab38ec1ba6d17ecbf177c20e4a3eb7c.png

A couple of youngsters were sent out on loan at their own request, including central midfielder Dejan Tetek to Barrow

He was already getting first team minutes, but after Veljko rejected permanent transfer offers from Fulham, Aston Villa and Millwall he agitated for a temporary move away

The only other noteworthy story came in the form of another new contract, this one dished out to a deserving Josh Laurent who has really had a great first season 

1686405360_Laurentcontract24_02_21.png.dde4df4e7f32a051fd17ec72e41d85f9.png

Great result against Fulham! What leagues do you have loaded?

D4a7NorWAAADvvw.jpg

2020/21 season part two

After a flying start to the season where play-off seemed to be an easy task to achieve, we've hit a incredible bad run of form and dropped like a rock down the table. 
Despite the bad run of form I still have a feeling of overachievement when sitting 12th after 26 games. Just 8 points up to the last play-off spot, and bigger wonders than that have happened before. 

108dbacdb05e6f267263730bb236a2d0.png

Didn't have much money to play around with in the transfer window, but the squad needs strengthening in almost every position. Southampton called back Kayne Ramsay from loan because he was playing wing-back and not full-back, could've understood it if he was playing out of positon or not playing at all. Tough call, and it really weakens my squad. Put me on the spot as I was in desperate need of a right back. 
Manage to bring in some, in my opinion, good signings. Trying to go for players that hit these criterias; Potenital to grow, young(U-23) and cheap. So Haji Mnoga came in for £190K from Pompey and Scott Wharton came in for £105k from Blackburn. Tried to bring in both Wharton and Happe, but couldn't afford both of them. Also brough Callum Long back from loan, he looks like a potentially great stiker with his speed, composure and great finishing. 

Joe Garner is killing my budget with his £5k pr week salary, and I cant get rid of him. Tried to loan him out so I at least can get 10% of his salary, but there's no takers. Leaving on a free after the season, and I'm looking forward to spending that money on someone else. 

Best performers so far has been Will Keane, Charlie Brown and Constantin Fromman. Also have a lot of youngsters that stepped up from the U-23 and U-18 with Thelo Aasgaard, Ollie Crankshaw and Emeka Obi getting most appearances so far.

Hopefully we can stay away from injuries, as the first XI can challenge for play-off. I'm thrilled for the second part of the season. Here we go! 

6 hours ago, CityAndColour said:

Getting to the pointy end now...

You would be a brave man to bet against Met Police for the title, given they have gone 21-5-2 over their last 28 matches and have a front two who have combined for 69 goals and 21 assists in 70 starts.

Our next two are Harrow away (13th) and Wimborne at home (21st) which should hopefully present six points, before we finish up with WSM at home and Met Police away, so we could realistically finish anywhere in the top five.

Tiverton has hit a rough patch, with only one win in their last six, but WSM has won seven of nine and has the best player in the division (Dayle Grubb) so I would see them as my biggest threat for 2nd.

It's going to be tough to fend off WSM - I didn't know Grubb had gone back there - and appropriately Met Police have been on a serious charge. Best of luck for the remainder.

@John Joe O'tooleFulham was great (score) but I felt Leicester was even better as they are a stronger side. I only have English leagues loaded, but a database of around 120,000 players because if a player pops in to my head I will absolutely want to be able to find him.

@nyg After a tough run of results it looks as though you have got the team back in form. Hopefully that will continue, but even a mid-table finish would be a really good first season for Wigan.

2 hours ago, nyg said:

Southampton called back Kayne Ramsay from loan because he was playing wing-back and not full-back

I've noticed this a lot this year - parent teams really demanding every tiny aspect of the loan agreement. Maybe it's more realistic but, combined with wage contributions, it has made me less keen on loans than previous FMs.

22 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@nyg After a tough run of results it looks as though you have got the team back in form. Hopefully that will continue, but even a mid-table finish would be a really good first season for Wigan.

@Jogo BonitoDefinitely! I'll be more than happy with a mid-table finish. With a flying start the expectations start to rise, but a good finish this season and play-off in season two should be possible. 

@warlock Maybe it's more realistic, but as I said I can understand it if the players plays out of position not when the role is different. I'm not a big fan of loans myself as I prefer to develop my own players and maybe turn a profit. 

Edit: Not a master of the quote function here, so please bear with me :)

Edited by nyg

845114323_BristolCityCrest.png.861046d192b52b249cd34aaead8dcfd2.png

Bristol City FC: Takeover Report (November 2023)

My departure from Blackpool left me with a great sense of excitement, although there were definitely some nerves to be had too. I had enjoyed three very solid campaigns in charge, and achieved pretty good results despite a very limited amount of funds. Opting to depart was a tough decision, but made easier after the really poor start we had got to the season. Issues in the transfer market coupled with a lack of goals really pushing me to depart the club. The opportunity at Bristol City was one that I was interested in during last season. They invited me for an interview but eventually decided to move in another direction though. Seven months down the line they have sacked Roberto Moreno after a really disappointing start for an ambitious side. A 17th placed finish last season isn't really good enough for a club of this size and I am not at all surprised that they opted to part ways. For me the interest was there the moment the job became available, and I am delighted to have been tasked with attempting to revive their fortunes. They started the season by winning both of their opening matches, before going on a run of eleven matches without a win. Their form very reminiscent of how things were going for me at Blackpool. They did end that run in the last game before my arrival though, beating promotion hopefuls Fulham by a 2-1 score line.

The poor start is especially disappointing as they spent a little under £9,000,000 in the summer transfer market. That included a huge £6,500,000 deal to sign winger Andre Green from Preston, as well as signing Bournemouth goalkeeper Mark Travers. There was also a £2,000,000 deal for striker Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley, a deal that has not yet seen him find his feet here. He's bagged just three goals so far, something I will need to rectify quickly. Below is a look at who my assistant manager believes is our strongest starting eleven.

1589285878_BristolCity_-4.png.4dce02d78fb6c87b5fafffa782f48cfc.png

The squad here doesn't look too bad, although defensively I think it needs work. I'm intending on playing a similar style to how I had my Blackpool side playing, with a priority on defensive work.  In the attacking sense the squad looks decent. Cauley Woodrow should provide a real goal scoring spark, and on the wings there is plenty of quality, including a 34-year old Eugene Konoplyanka. Summer arrival Andre Green did well last season for Preston, but needs to pick up his performances now to justify his price tag.

I've been handed a transfer budget of £15,000,000, although the window doesn't open for a while yet. The board just want us to survive, which is something I am confident in us being able to do. I'll have a bit of time to have a look at the squad, before being able to bring in some new faces in the January window. Defence will be my priority, although we may need an out and out goal scorer too. Ricky Jade-Jones is very much a potential target after a blistering start to the season with Peterborough. I don't feel like it's a difficult job to sort things out for this season, then we can focus on trying to move this club forward. In my eyes the club is too good to be fighting off relegation, and my plan will be to try and focus on improving results and climbing up the league. It would be unbelievable to be the man who eventually takes this side into the Premier League for the very first time.

1912662480_BristolCity_Fixtures-3.png.b4dde3d0adc6a869f2256294e76bb201.png

My early results show just how difficult a task I face. The players look lost of confidence, and goal scoring is a really big issue. I've shown faith in Woodrow, but he needs to start finding the net pretty soon. I'm sure we will turn this form around, but at the moment things don't look particularly great for us.

Table.png.2812671f65efb45d839dab674c0ddb7b.png

There's a little over a month until the transfer window opens, and I hope to be able to bring in some new signings. I've got my eyes on a few, and in fact have already confirmed one signing ready for when it opens. I'll update again at the end of the January window, hopefully with a more positive update. Aitor Karanka has been appointed as my replacement at Blackpool, and has so far managed a victory, a draw and a couple of defeats.

20 minutes ago, goonergez said:

The opportunity at Bristol City was one that I was interested in

Good luck with the Robins, although it looks like you've got a challenge on your hands. Always hard to turn around a team when morale and confidence is shattered. Just have to finish above Blackpool, eh? :lol:

So Bristol City has come to an end for me already after a rather poor judgement call. A job became available that I was interested in, and after an uninspiring start i figured I may as well put my name into the hat. Instantly I received this news.

1872526140_GezSaunders_Inbox.png.6f63a8a72094f47e4eef529b8eb07210.png

I'm not sure why it says continued attempts as it was just the one job, but I can understand the reasoning. Back to the drawing board for me now I guess.......

9 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@goonergezAfter my close guesses yesterday, I had a feeling it might be Bristol City. Wishing you a long and successful spell with them and your massive£15 million transfer budget which is incredible. Good luck at your next club :lol:

Yeah that was a shocking move by me 🙈 think I have found a new job already though..... more to follow

1265213592_CreweCrest.png.b98eeb836a80dd61cf79bc17c0d5e8ae.png

Crewe Alexandra Takeover (January 2024)

After a successful three year period with Blackpool, a six week stay at Bristol City came to an end after I declared an interest in the position at fellow Championship strugglers Huddersfield Town. The board quickly relieved me of my duties and sent me back down to the job centre. I wasn't surprised, but at the same time I also wasn't left overly disappointed. Thankfully about a month later I fell into the position here at the Alexandra Stadium as the new manager of Crewe Alexandra.

1757378294_TakeoverTable.png.5d6ee7f718800219334b1dd0e6db3bbd.png

I join the club with them sat down in 16th place, after finishes of 19th, 17th and 18th over the last three seasons. I have dropped down a league to take over here, but I am excited by this role. The idea of taking on a side famed for producing young players is exciting and something I will definitely look to do during my time here. Funnily enough Perry Ng and Tom Lowery both joined me from this very club, and were both key components of my Blackpool side. Dropping a league was something I had considered but didn't necessarily envisage happening. Having attended an interview with the club though I was determined. The rest of this season is solely about staying in the league, and to be honest I don't see that being an issue. I'll also have to build a backroom team as there are literally no staff members here upon arrival. Longer term the board want me to develop young players from the youth system, as well as focusing on signing younger players for the future. Both of those fit in perfectly with my own personal style, and I will also look to make this club self-sustainable by selling in order to fund new arrivals. Maybe not in the shorter term though, as I was presented with a healthy transfer budget of £700,000 upon arrival.

1322560186_TakeoverSquad.png.b1ca9cdec650bcd65c462a90a9220494.png

The inherited squad is actually pretty decent, with a few standout players. Striker Mikael Mandron is the main goal scoring threat, and has already bagged 11 goals in the league this season.
27-year old central midfielder Conor Shaugnessy is somebody I will look to build my midfield around. In honesty I would suggest this team is about where it deserves to be. The media predicted a finish of 18th at the start of the season and the side is definitely on to achieve that. I'm hoping that my arrival may spark an upturn in form though, and maybe we can finish a few players higher. There is a week of the January transfer window remaining, but I don't expect to conduct very much business. I've got one game to play (against struggling Wycombe) before the window shuts, so I will return when it does and fill you in.

17 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

He left on the 29th April, played two games and didn't score. He was playing above his level for me anyway, but it seemed odd he'd move so close to the end of the season. Oh well, onto the next one.