Messi in Football Manager

In light of what is going on in the real world and the potential of finally seeing Messi in another club, I am curious how many of you have actually been able to prize Messi away from Barcelona in FM and what was it like to get him in your team? How did you get him in, and for how much?  In Football manager it's always easier, it's a game after all but I am interested in your stories across various versions of FM.

I think I only managed to get him twice - once in FM 08 with Arsenal and once in FM 15 with... Newcastle... in the 3rd season... :lol: I don't remember much about the first one, but the Newcastle thing was so bizzare. I was in the 3rd season I think and I never won the league or any major trophies, only finished in the top4 the previous year. Long story short I got him in for about 60-70M and before that I got Suarez as well. No idea how it was possible, but it was quite a fun playing with both in EPL.  

So what are your stories with Messi? Have been able to get him somehow?  

Usually once he's around 34/35 his Barca contract will end and then there's the chance to pick him up. I've taken him several times, converted him to a CM position and he's seen out his career as an effective playmaker.

I was playing as Leicester and it took 95 million and a few star players but i managed to get him in January 2023 after the world cup, which he actually won. He did pretty well considering his age, scoring 39 goals and assisting 26 goals over 2 seasons and 74 appearances. I did use a custom database from off the workshop so that might have influenced something.

I remember on CM06 I always tried to buy Messi for Man Utd whenever I had a save with them. Sometimes it worked but most times it did not.

On the more recent FM's I have managed to sign him but it's only ever on a free when his contract runs out.

In my current save, he went to Juventus for a couple of years and then him and Ronaldo retired at the same time

1 hour ago, Neotropolis said:

I remember on CM06 I always tried to buy Messi for Man Utd whenever I had a save with them. Sometimes it worked but most times it did not.

On the more recent FM's I have managed to sign him but it's only ever on a free when his contract runs out.

In my current save, he went to Juventus for a couple of years and then him and Ronaldo retired at the same time

That's mental! Imagine the scenes if that happens in real life. Ronaldo and Messi in the same team.. crazy. 

10 hours ago, duckduckgoose said:

I was playing as Leicester and it took 95 million and a few star players but i managed to get him in January 2023 after the world cup, which he actually won. He did pretty well considering his age, scoring 39 goals and assisting 26 goals over 2 seasons and 74 appearances. I did use a custom database from off the workshop so that might have influenced something.

That's awesome! I don't think the database had much to do with it, just the game has made it a bit too easy to sign superstar players. But then again if they made it almost impossible like in real life we wouldn't have cool stories like this. 

I think it was FM10, about the seventh or eighth season in Messi inexplicably signed a new contract with a £29m release clause in it. That summer, I paid the fee and brought him to Inter. He was about 30, had another five brilliant seasons and then one where I just used him to tutor youngsters (remember that!).

I think aside from picking up a peak Didier Drogba for £9.5m after he was transfer listed by Chelsea on FM06, one of the best FM bargains I've ever had.

On 28/08/2020 at 11:44, Impacto said:

That's mental! Imagine the scenes if that happens in real life. Ronaldo and Messi in the same team.. crazy.

Well neither are what they used to be, but it would still be impressive! And given all the rumours flying around, it wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.