Set pieces are terrible

33 minutes ago, Jonthedon26 said:

I mean, I have played football at an amateur level most of my life and you see free kicks scored at every level. Scoring a free kick itself is not unrealistic, if it happens on a too frequent occasion is when there may be signs of a problem.

Or, a player is REALLY good at freekicks, but not at anything else. I saw a game from the Faroese league a few weeks ago when a player scored 3 freekick goals in 10 minutes or so. And he is REALLY good at them...

If that had happened in FM, someone would have called it a bug!

Edited by XaW

13 minutes ago, XaW said:

Or, a player is REALLY good at freekicks, but not at anything else. I saw a game from the Faroese league a few weeks ago when a player scored 3 freekick goals in 10 minutes or so. And he is REALLY good at them...

If that had happened in FM, someone would have called it a bug!

Not if the players' attributes show that he's very good at taking free-kicks

I think that the people often simplify these things too much. All the calculations that are happening in the backround are very complex but we try to look at the single attribute and say this player has a low long shot or free kick but he still scores.

This is true. Unfortunately though it's the only parameter we have to decide whether a player is good or not. We can't have a glimpse under the hood to see the unseen.

Here my example: I'm enjoying a database from season '95-'96 and it was great fun to collect every emerging top player you can possibly remember. So I happened to get D. Beckam and, I think naturally, I selected him as first free kick taker in my DFKs list. I think everybody would do it. After all, he had something like "crazy" in FK attribute and... well we know him, he was quite good technically, wasn't he?

Now I don't remember how many free kicks he kicked, but I remember perfectly he scored 1 goal in 5 season, 2 shots went out wide and the remainings... 50? let's assume 50, they hit the wall.

When I couldn't pitch him do to injuries or bans, here people with worse attributes (but still good of course) netting at every free kick like if it was the easiest thing in the world.

It's confusing.

But it's also wrong to think that a player, having 1 at FK attribute, can't score. He still can, rarely maybe, but still. And there are other attributes that affect how good a player at kicking free kicks is anyway.

Problem I have is long freekicks put into the box. The amount og goals from these is surely bugged, because the opposition player scores on the end of the lines even when marked by my tallest cb, I am given no options to change how to defend against these freekicks other than add or remove players from my defensive lines. I cant push my defence out or put people on the line. So basically every match I lose an opposition goal when there is nothing wrong with my tactics

To be honest in my opinion opposition instructions work much much better than the past editions and tactical changes have much more a visible effect on the pitch, both good or bad. Watching more deeply you'll see players with a very high attribute in "vision" playing many times the ball at the right moment to the right players. Watching even more deeply you can see how this engine could work magnificently, but somehow there are too many "little issues" that prevent it to be the best. Here some in no order:

• I can see some good movements from wingback, but the most of times they're ignored or they get the ball too late
  • At the same time, marking wide need a huge improvement, as it seems to be a blank area for defenders
  • Crossing the ball stubbornly instead of recycling when there's not other chance
  • Shots from narrow angles instead of squaring the ball in the box
  • Players rushing for the ball and totally forget there are other opponents on the pitch
  • Markings, in general.
  • Decisions while in possession of the ball. I happen to see too many times a good possession but among the wrong players. Free players are ignored, or players positioned better are ignored.
  • Defenders dwelling on the ball, losing the possession
  • Offsides are broken
  • I'd also say that penalty fouls should be checked again because in some circumstance a foul committed in the box is awarded as free kick outside of it.
  • Finishing. This is probably the biggest thing jumping at the eyes.

Many of these things have been an issue since quite some time and that's why I think people is a bit frustrated at the ME. I have seen beautiful things and super goals, but I have also seen things that made me upset. If I put both on a balance the latter seem to be heavier.

Honestly imo the best thing you can do is PRACTICE set piece routines during the week.  I don't think any of the default training schedules have set piece training worked into them (although I know there is one default training schedule specifically for set pieces and I think the big match schedule has a couple set piece training sessions worked into it).  That might be the biggest "bug" - the lack of set piece training in the training schedules.  Maybe I'm wrong, but It seems like a lot of people focus too much on telling players where to stand etc. but never actually practice set pieces during the week.  If you let your assistant manager handle general training, I think you might even go an entire season without any set piece training whatsoever.

Every week I look at the analyst's report on my upcoming opponent and if they've scored a lot on free kicks or corners, I make sure to practice defending them during the week.  If they give up a lot, I make sure to practice delivery and attacking.  It makes a huge difference.  Sometimes if I have a big game on a short week, it's almost all I practice.  

I swear, I've seen the same absurd free kick routine done dozens of times against me. Guy kicks it over to someone lurking outside the box, who has a first touch of 4 and a long shot rating of 5, who instantly fires it like a missile amazingly right through a dozen people in front of the net. There's something wrong with the engine in this regard.

On 01/06/2020 at 16:32, XaW said:

I did fiddle around with it, for several seasons in fact, and this season I conceded 1 (ONE!) goal from a corner. And only 3 from free kicks. In 33 games.

4a67CJV.png

Any chance you can post your IFK routines? 

I definetely have problem with those. Looking and my last season, I conceded total of 19 goals in the league from 36 games. 1 goal conceded from DFK, 2 goals conceded from corners but 9 goals conceded from IFK and I was worst in that metric even though I won the league. Basically half of my total goals conceded were from IFK.

Yeh they are kind of silly, I've scored 68 goals in my Man City save so far this season 28 of which have been from set pieces. Which is over 40% of goals from set pieces.

Plus that doesn't include at least 2-3 goals where I have scored from the second phase of set pieces either. 

I've only conceded 13 in all competitions,  but 5 of those have been from set pieces as well. 

5 hours ago, yolixeya said:

Any chance you can post your IFK routines? 

I definetely have problem with those. Looking and my last season, I conceded total of 19 goals in the league from 36 games. 1 goal conceded from DFK, 2 goals conceded from corners but 9 goals conceded from IFK and I was worst in that metric even though I won the league. Basically half of my total goals conceded were from IFK.

My tactic is uploaded to Steam workshop so you should find it there, but I'll repeat myself; it's tailored to the exact bunch of players I had at that time. I reused my tactic with another team and had much less success, so I had to do another analysis of the conceded goals and tweak it to get it as good as I wanted.

8 hours ago, XaW said:

My tactic is uploaded to Steam workshop so you should find it there, but I'll repeat myself; it's tailored to the exact bunch of players I had at that time. I reused my tactic with another team and had much less success, so I had to do another analysis of the conceded goals and tweak it to get it as good as I wanted.

Can you share a link?