Still having problems authenticating?

launch game and when i insert correct key into soft anchor online activation get message

"We're sorry, but this installation of Football Manager 2009 Certificate could not be activated for the following reason: The application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection."

what i belive has happened. is 'soft anchor' the third part trusted with the authentication, has royally ****ed up, their servers simply cant handle the demand.

SI should not do buisness with them again.

But dont blame SI. give it time. you will play the game.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At a time of night where the majority of users with this problem say it is working now, and the servers should be quieter, I am still getting the 'Unable to connect to internet' message when trying to activate.

Purchased the game on steam more than 24 hours ago and still not been able to play it

Can anyone help?

if you bought the game on Steam I thought all you had to do was click a button to validate the installation.

"SI should not do buisness with them again.

But dont blame SI. give it time. you will play the game. "

I expect to play teh game when I buy it. I dont buy an apple and expect to eat it in 2 days time. If it didnt work why release it? I would of gone out and waited for a new release date instea dof spending 7 hours trying to type in a useless game code.

SI have to take some repsonsiblity I am affraid. It may nnot of been their direct problem. But why pick someone to work with if they didnt hav eot capacity to fulfil their end of the bargain?

After repeated attempts to authenticate I was getting an error 703, not it's just the 'cannot connect to internet error'.

I'd visit the sigames website (as it tells me to) if the site actually loaded. The threads on here aren't much help as I can see nothing from SI relating to this error type & dont fancy reading the tons of pages that people have posted so far in hope of finding a resolution.

Somebody please help!! :(

Unable to connect again, and again , and again... im helping out this dude who's been having trouble for 20 hours now! And yes! He's been trying ALL 20 hours, nonstop!... He's going crazy and he's bringing the game back tomorrow if we dont get it working tonight.

so did I, unfortunatly this has proven to not be the case

i've seen a screenshot where the 'button' is clearly visible. Have you tried opening Steam and looking there to see if there's anything that might be this elusive button. Sorry for not being able to help more./

Yes first i rried to install on my pc and got to the activation screen and it had the option for phone so i tried to authenticate over the phone but it was busy for hours, then i reinstalled windows because of a seperate issue and when i reinstalled the game i no longer had the option to authenticate over the phone so i tried online and it says im not connected to the internet grrrrrrrrrrrrr i wanna play

Im going to bed. This shoudldof been a great day for me, playinfg a game I loved. Instead its left me severly doubting whether this rubbish is worth it. Playing round with the settings of my internet connections as suggested by STEAMhas now let a bit of spyware in...nice one SI :) How can somehtign so simple be so painful. I expect this to be sorted out while I sleep, hopefulyl my nightmares wont be as bad as this expeirence!

Had posted this in a different thread, but will post here as it appears to be the right place to do so:

I'm now getting a response from the phone lines rather than the "we're busy, call back later".

However, having entered my key, i'm then informed that it "cannot be activated now"

I've checked it on the "key-checker site thing"( originally i'd confused an I and a 1) and re-entered the correct key, gone through the phone thing again, and was told again that my key cannot be activated.

Very confused :confused:

Success!!....or so I thought.

Went to the screen saying thank you the game has been activated. Clicked Ok, the window closed, I clicked to start up the game..... and that bloody window with 'Your trial period has expired' appears again.

I'm now back to stage 1.

Sometimes it doesn't work (no internet message)

When it does work it does not activate properly

*tearing hair out*

OK I got a new message! It says "It would appear what you have attempted to enter is not a valid unlock key. To purchase and unlock key visit si games"

[error -1003]

Now here's intriguing part. It only GAVE me this error after it spent the longest time yet that it ever has on the flashing "sending activation request" portion of the validation process. It was up for around 20 seconds, and now I get this error everytime.

Guys have faith - i read a reply that said just keep pressing back when you get the internet connection rubbish, then press next and keep repeating process, after ages it worked, i am so happy have faith guys it will work. SI have explaining to do and i wont be buying 2010!!!!!! A lot of money has been made on this game but i am sure they will need it as i reckon they will loose alot next year!

Trust me guys have faith, keep pressing back and next, back and next!

• SI Staff

For those getting the "703" error, I am told that the code is correct, and that you just need to keep trying. Far from ideal, but this is the information I've been given.

If you are getting a "1003" error, that means that you are putting the key in incorrectly.

I am trying to look through other threads now to see about some of the other issues listed.

For those getting the "703" error, I am told that the code is correct, and that you just need to keep trying. Far from ideal, but this is the information I've been given.

If you are getting a "1003" error, that means that you are putting the key in incorrectly.

I am trying to look through other threads now to see about some of the other issues listed.

We had that, suddenly it worked.. and now the game just crashes and shuts down :( ...

The problem is too many people trying to access the code and getting it to work. It's over loading the system

no sh*t sherlock. we were assured that this wouldnt happen when the doom & gloom merchants reared their heads. all 3 methods to validate your game have proved disasterous.

I am yet another of the thousands, most likely, that are receiving the "can't connect to the internet" message by SoftAnchor. I've been trying since yesterday afternoon. I hope to God that you ditch them SI. I can't understand what was wrong with the standalone CD-key option...

I've been at this since 7.20am and still getting the 'cannot connect to the internet' from SoftAnchor. Am closing in on the 18th hour of trying this. Am working in 5hours so i have to give up on it now. I'll try and ahve ago tomorrow and fingers crossed. to the rest of you GOOD LUCK. And thanks to Miles and his team for continuing to try at this late hour of the weekend

right, i was just about to come on here and moan, but mine was just verified! it makes me feel better but in truth i'm still deeply disappointed in SI, i'm a loyal fm'er ever since i first played it, and i like the new fm, but why am i paying the same amount of money for something that took 12 hours before i could play it, as well as having to install a patch to make it work properly?

and for those of you who say "it's 12 hrs man, that's nothing compared to how much you will play it" but that's not the point. if we buy something like a game, cd, dvd, etc, we should be able to use it instantly, it's our right as a customer.

You know what's more annoying than this game not working?

Posting 20 times over the course of over 12 hours that the phone authentication system isn't working, and NOT RECEIVING A SINGLE RESPONSE FORM SI/SEGA ACKNOWLEDGING THIS.

There have been dozens of posts regarding phone activation, but no help given.

FFS. SORT IT OUT.

Archived