Ethnically specific newgen face replacement?

As we know, the FM19 newgen faces are an abomination and quite severily break the immersion of the game. Something has to be done with them.  If we could just have the newgen faces from FM16 back I'd be happy, but since those were 2d while 3d faces have been used since (for some completely unfathomable reason, you can't see the faces in the ME anyway), that ship has probably sailed. Of course it is possible to manually replace an individual newgen's face, but that is not feasible to do in a large enough scale. One possibility is to use replacement face packs such as this one (works for FM19 as well): https://fmfan.ru/board/index.php?/topic/61531-agp-regens-megapack-fm18/

The only problem with this is that (well, aside from many of the pics being from ice hockey players; how many footballers would don a turtle neck and a mullet?) player's ethnicity is not taken into account, resulting in many black players having white profile pics and vice versa, east asians having caucasian faces etc. Again, highly immersion-breaking.

Therein lies my question:  would it be possible to specifically assign certain pictures to certain ethicities? I.e., is the information about a newgen's ethnicity carried for example in their ID number?

Alternatively, SI can just fix the facegen or re-instate the FM16 2D facegen in the 19.3. patch and we can all relax, forget about this issue and enjoy the game. B

5 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

Therein lies my question:  would it be possible to specifically assign certain pictures to certain ethicities? I.e., is the information about a newgen's ethnicity carried for example in their ID number?

Alternatively, SI can just fix the facegen or re-instate the FM16 2D facegen in the 19.3. patch and we can all relax, forget about this issue and enjoy the game. B

Should be possible. If you go into the pre-game editor to create a player, on the first screen you select their ethnicity and skin colour. This is to generate the 3D players for the ME, but surely the same data can be used to generate the newgen player pics so that they match their ME counterparts.

As we know, the FM19 newgen faces are an abomination and quite severily break the immersion of the game. Something has to be done with them.

I would not call the newgen faces in FM19 an abomination. They are, in my view, a lot better than FM18's and more realistic than FM17's. The only major issue I have is that almost all East Asian newgens look like Caucasians, which is incredibly poor in terms of immersion in long-term saves.

Your latter suggestion is unlikely to happen, to be honest. SI do not generally revert to an older version of something just because a load of people don't like the newer version (otherwise FM19 would look more like CM01/02 :D).

I'm sure there was a valid reason for SI switching from 2D-generated faces to 3D-generated faces in FM18. This is the second version of the game to come out since the switch, so there are understandably a few teething problems. Nobody really knows whether those problems can/will be fixed in this version, or if we'll have to wait until FM20 or even later to see 3D faces that are visually on a par with the 2D faces from FM16.

I've always wondered about this "immersion-breaking" thing.  You're playing a glorified spreadsheet - are you really saying that you're going through the game fine, but seeing a cobbled together regen face suddenly pushes you over the edge?  Irrational hyperbole isn't really going to change much.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

I've always wondered about this "immersion-breaking" thing.  You're playing a glorified spreadsheet - are you really saying that you're going through the game fine, but seeing a cobbled together regen face suddenly pushes you over the edge?  Irrational hyperbole isn't really going to change much.

Yes I so strongly agree. I cant really think of a single thing that I care less about in game. Possibly stadium models tho..

Fully agree that FM19 newgens are an improvement over FM18's colour-shifting aliens, although by chance a minority of FM18 newgens actually looked quite ok IMO. Obviously, this is not the most important part of the game but it is a source of constant annoyance, especially considering the decrease in quality in comparison to earlier versions of the game.

20 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Should be possible. If you go into the pre-game editor to create a player, on the first screen you select their ethnicity and skin colour. This is to generate the 3D players for the ME, but surely the same data can be used to generate the newgen player pics so that they match their ME counterparts.

Thanks, I think I'll analyze some newgen IDs and see if I can spot a pattern related to ethnicity. That might take more time and effort than I can afford to spend though, so it would be great if anyone knew how the ID numbers are constructed and what information they contain.

19 hours ago, forameuss said:

are you really saying that you're going through the game fine, but seeing a cobbled together regen face suddenly pushes you over the edge?

Yes.

20 hours ago, forameuss said:

tbf, whilst my solution to the current generation of newgen faces is simply to ignore them, I can still remember what a few of my FM16 players looked like...

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

tbf, whilst my solution to the current generation of newgen faces is simply to ignore them, I can still remember what a few of my FM16 players looked like...

And that's fair enough.  But there's a big difference between knowing they look pretty bad - which they do - and suddenly deciding that this alone is what breaks immersion.  

On 12/02/2019 at 16:23, forameuss said:

I will quite often cite what breaks/interrupts my immersion in an FM game but I wouldn't say its blowing something out of proportion or hyperbolic. If anything it a much more positive step away from the cry of "game breaking" or "cannot play with this" it's merely a reflection of an aspect of the game that stands out as not feeling right to the individual. 

Moreover it definitely allows for there to be room for discussion and for those at SI to decide whether that's something they consider warrants a change or doesn't. In my mind it tends to be more indicative of the suggestion that a particular aspect of the game needs a small tweak - you don't always know what but that it's not quite there in your mind. As opposed to something being broken and needing a dramatic overhaul.

- - -

On the topic at hand though, CK2 and a number of the paradox games tend to have a quite good facegeneration system, but from how it seems to work having read up on that game its combining strings that represent DNA and providing an output. Not really a solution for FM given the absence of both parents in game but it is an area that will certainly improve over time. 

• 9 months later...
On 14/02/2019 at 05:15, Vribo FC said:

The technique exists, we could have really nice regens in the game. More beautiful than real players actually.. 

https://blog.insightdatascience.com/generating-custom-photo-realistic-faces-using-ai-d170b1b59255

This is amazing, I wonder if we'd ever see something like this implemented in FM.

Meanwhile, I found this nightmare fuel from an FM19 newgen download:

image.thumb.png.18058b8a7361fe2b47be016c5a8ed743.png