[FM19] Not all that glitters is gold.

_Ben_

Depth Update

Very soon after the last one but the intake has provided me with some solace that we are actually able to fill out our teams now...

8abad64874366183709db48a48d65a67.png

Joao Vieira immediately makes the U23 squad and sees the impending sale of Virgilio Carvalheiro, who just hasn't kicked on despite nearly 40 appearances in the first team to date. I know his attributes are skewed somewhat due to his physicality but he's not rounded enough to perform on the big stage.

Both Vaz and Muge have cemented themselves as a pairing and the ideal scenario would see those two lead the team in ten years - with Raposo and Riverola having retired, Marques staying in the first team and Medina moved on (as, unfortunately, he isn't home grown and that is my overall end goal) and one of Mourinho or Patricio having developed, too. I see the central defence area as one of strength for the future now.

Sucena has moved back to the U19 for now (mainly to fill a gap) and Silva has a last chance as a CM(d) - he is already competent there so I will see how he performs and trains but he's unlikely to be a long term solution there with the aforementioned Sucena and Martins, who is very similar (and not comparable to Claro) also vying to move up a squad on my depth chart.

Ventura and Vaz seem to be both able to challenge Folha as he ages and have already usurped Vitor Filipe from the squads (he was a youth candidate here in 2023 but I sold him to Porto for a then record fee of £3.7m - since then he's been doing the rounds in Portugal but came back in as a free agent a few months back) but I don't know whether either are going to reach the heights that Andre has.

The only place on the depth chart I am weak would be at full back. Mucha is ready to step into the first team but will probably wait until Riverola has retired so that there isn't an influx of defensive players but Barros is being re-trained at right back whereas winger Morias is my only option as a left back and is being trained there. As previously mentioned - this gives Almeida a stay of execution and gives Garcia longer to develop in the youth team.

Additionally - I have the left over youth candidates who are in the U19 squad and we be assessed periodically to see if they are to remain at the club into next season and ready for the next youth intake.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 2038

a1aaab745816a4d581d4863315447933.png

14926d7c4cadaefa533e2dc304c9b041.png

Our season should be over. Despite a thoroughly entertaining game against Benfica (for everyone except me), we came out losers to a late freak goal - but the loss against Sacavanense really looked to hurt us. Fortunately, Porto have also encountered a poor run of form and we remain 3 points clear. We also bow out of the Champions League, at the quarter final stage, despite a valiant effort against Man City. They are by far the biggest club in Europe right now and are steam-rolling everyone - so to restrict them to just one goal is a positive.

We have three games in May as we look to defend our title. We have a fairly easy run in but anything is possible...

May 2039

fcc515fd98cc5a1b8dbab704ab9dc119.png

5b7ecc37dff42d23ea9eb0e22189dd4d.png

caf189135c9e6d635b0076d81f13367b.png

An absolutely atrocious end to the season. I could go on about being 'FM-ed' on the last game but the truth is that we need to be better at breaking down poor teams. Portimonense took 4 points from us this season and that is what kept them up and stopped us from winning the league.

Whilst I'm absolutely livid - we need perfection to win this league given the strength of Porto and Benfica and this season has not been that.

2038/39 Team Preview

After the events of yesterday, I put the game down and considered not playing again. However - I'm not the type to blame SI for their game, nor am I saying the game is broken. We simply were not good enough when we needed to be. I have come back today with new enthusiasm and some new ideas to implement.

________

Below is my first team squad for this season:

59f582b855b716cb58f18b8b554c7f3c.png

My transfers out are as seen below:

18a1da18eb9aa363c5a916822f59ea22.png

Despite mentioning a couple of times that Almeida would stay - the lowered demands of the board this season (just CL group stages and qualify for it again next year through the league) led me to make a decision to blood a couple of new youngsters. Alberto Garcia is good enough for this league, has no glaring weaknesses and is ready for some more action so I moved the former on. Carvalheira and Martins were two that have failed to make the step up from the reserve team, unfortunately.

Also entering the team from the youth squad is Hugo Claro - who I have been shocked with over the past year. Currently, he is not good enough for the first team (my coaches rate him as a leading player for third tier sides) but he is a natural runner who plays centrally and, aside from Campino, I have no other depth there. If he can develop in the same manner as he has in the U19 team this year - some more first team football should allow him to really quickly develop into first team material. Again, with lower expectations - I feel that I can afford this type of risk for what could be a future benefit.

I then bolstered my squad with two academy graduates - firstly, Miguel Laranjeira. He came through the a couple of years after Andre Folha and couldn't ever usurp him, so spent a couple of years on loan at Braga before moving there, then on to WBA and finally on to Villa for a £12m fee. They decided, after 8 goals in 43 Premier League appearances, to not renew his deal so I pinched him on a free. He's not amazing but does offer me a natural, and better equipped alternative to Andre Folha - who was very dearly missed when he had a month out injured. Next up is the loan deal for Luis Trabulo, who left us 11 years ago for a then record £16m to Fulham. Thinking about it, he was probably the catalyst for our development as, after one season in the top flight, we were short on money and this helped us upgrade our facilities. He has spent time at Fulham and more recently at Huddersfield, where we got him on loan from. Similarly to the striking role - we only have DIogo Marques ready for the first team at the moment, so this fills that gap.

I'm quietly confident, again...

On 19/04/2019 at 19:25, Johnny-Trotter said:

Keep the faith - this is a great story in terms of the detail level and progress you have made. A setback is disappointing but it looks like it gives you a chance to reinvigorate, both the squad and your interest.

Thanks for the comment, nice to see that people are still reading!

Yeah - it's a shame that we couldn't retain our title but it is the bigger picture that is worrying me now. The league is literally making no progress and, as such, any good players that come in to the league move on really quickly and this in turn makes my players unsettled when a mid-table French team or a relegation-fodder Premier League team bid for my players.

October/November 2038

6a5336b70d17e09c247721fa947e6e52.png

3e191f41afd93dff81248b6c6fb45e89.png

Much better on paper, but just as dour on the pitch. We are wasteful in front of goal and struggle to create a build up against ten defenders. I need to properly look at my plans moving forward. On the plus side, Benfica are well of the pace, and, even if Porto win their games in hand - we will sit with a small advantage at the top of the table.

Youth Training - an experiment

So far in this save, I have tried to build a type of player for my first team. I have brought them into the first team and developed them into role that fits in to my system or developed my system around their role. What I haven't done is looked at how they develop from when the enter the club. This is about to change.

Firstly - for purpose of comparison, here is my youth squad now and their attributes for my key areas:

5e4cd1896f2221fa44be7230998f4873.png

I have always left the youth training to my assistant but after reading about the kind of difference in intensity youth players can handle, plus the different schedule where they play once a week - I want to see if I can push them any further. Below is a training regime for them whereby we don't use the 'general' training and instead use blocks that will develop attributes suited for my tactical style.

1a391ad47ccaa45b06d3887f91e24354.png

There is far too much here - they have four full days with extra sessions and are 'at training' six days a week which I know does not mirror real life for academy teams. It places a bigger emphasis on physical development as well as other modules that I've never seen used within my youth training. I will re-assess this in six months time or so to see if there is an increase in injuries/attributes/training performances.

More than just first team performances?

3ee2c4f18eeada3bc5b016214b4128bc.png

Above is Hugo Claro, the now-18 year old who has been in my first team this season. He has played 6(1) games with 0 goals and 1 assist at an average rating of 6.59. Normally - this would be a huge concern for me but I want to look deeper than that - at how it has helped his development. Firstly, he is now training with top class professionals yet has almost every week topped the ratings for training. Below is his attribute comparison between December 2038 and July 2038 - a screenshot I took when reviewing the squad for the coming season:

0b4091e4c3f94c26b1aea898fa9b9748.png

That is 5 points of technical and mental progress and 6 points of physical progress. This, over such a short period of time, is fantastic and I would suggest way more than he could have achieved in the youth team. More importantly - the below has happened:

a9e2a55dacd365a921eef46fa94468ff.png

In six months, he has gone from being a player suitable for a third tier side to a player suitable for a second tier side. 

December 2038

252a250ee0582503e28715228ece7874.png

be90abd051eb9a70948ef73107f4777e.png

Still not at our swashbuckling best but we have opened up quite the lead at the top of the table moving into the second half of the season. Man City were a step too far and I had kind of hoped that Monaco would be strong and, as such, we'd get our chance in the Europa League - however we instead face Inter in the first knockout round.

January 2039

2b7c7e395a142ab43ea89d3acaf4b95e.png

cfd1dbb45261710ef23a5b94717e479c.png

I've lamented the team this season - saying that we aren't at our best and we are forcing things and, to some extent, that continues. However - if we can win the league whilst playing little better than average football - I will be delighted. We have added another competition to our cabinet this season with a Taca da Liga victory over Benfica and neither they, nor Porto, look like they can keep up with us this term.

Again, we are very very early in the season to be making predictions - but we are in the best possible position.

February 2039

1dc8775973aca38642ed7987cba708af.png

2e5e3f36ec7f5f6fb1586c1602782bb3.png

Aside from an absolute freak result against Benfica where they pretty much scored from each time they left their half, we have had another good month, finally breaking the Portimonense hoodoo and picking up three points for the first time in three seasons. We take a nine point lead into March but will hopefully continue progress in the Champions League - which will mean some extra fixture congestion.

Youth Training update

9e94af661e999dd690723dd8f719eb36.png

Not much to show as I looked from November to March but wanted to look before the U19 squad changes with the new intake. This has been the period of time where training has been focused on our style of football. The technical attributes increased by a total of 3,2 and 2 respectively whilst there was a decent increase in mental attributes but pace improved a total of 4 points, stamina 8 and strength 7. I know the players are growing at this point but I think this is a fantastic bit of development over a really short time span.

I will continue my experiments...

17 hours ago, john1 said:

Can't believe you lost the league by one point last season :(

Matela looking immense with those attributes! :eek:

Hopefully this year can put the memories of last year behind us...

He does look good and I have a good idea of what I want from him going forward. I hope that he has potential (remember - he could have 2* and I wouldn't even know!)

2039 Youth Intake - Part 2

Before making judgements about how I want to develop the three players that I have highlighted this season - I want to use some little 'tests' to see if I can get any more about their perceived ability and potential.

Firstly - when entering the U19 squad, they have all been given solid roles within the hierarchy. Whilst this isn't a definitive link to current ability - the better the player, the higher they tend to be rated within the squad.

eca0cc5d054c8d19db224da9b00839fe.png

When my players enter the U19 team - I immediately ask my assistant manager or HoYD to negotiate a full time deal to protect their contract and tie them down. For me - a usual indicator of good potential is ability is the midpoint between their demands and what my staff offer them - with the higher wage and bonuses etc indicating that they believe the player will be better.

Below is Antonio Machado, who is the first to sign a new deal:

fcfda11aa1c4b965459cdef48f18caee.png

Whilst I am clearly annoyed with the wage increases (not that I actually care with nearly £300m in the bank) - the comparison between him Joao Vaz, my pick of last year's intake, are clear. Vaz has signed a £750 p/w deal with a wage rise to £3.4k follow 25 games. Machado gives no indication of a differing amount of ambition (something which may lead to the huge demands) so I would like to presume there may be a link to potential and/or current ability of these players.

Now to decide what I want to turn them into...

April 2039

ba63554f51d71027961ad5c13f65909b.png

c46407543bb2055c141fbf0a362c5377.png

The league title will be wrapped up by taking just one point from our remaining four fixtures and we owe our Champions League future to an absolutely immense 90 minutes against Barca, where we tore them to shreds. We couldn't keep them out at the Camp Nou but thankfully had done enough. We also face Chelsea again but couldn't find a way through in the home leg - I expect it to be a step too far.

End of 2039 season Review

321a8555f6a9b88efd3733141b8450ae.png

dc91f37e80086227c092c340e619bd85.png

We bounced back from our heartbreak last season to comfortably win the league and add one domestic cup and the supercup to our growing trophy cabinet. We were voted under-achievers in the Taca de Portugal but I am not too bothered about that. Our standing in European football will have greatly risen thanks to a really strong showing in the Champions League - although that ended as we lost 3-1 in London.

In terms of players - here is the overview:

b45e03c0c0fe1793acfa0ea5f0d81f69.png

Largely a solid performance - even if we failed to score as many goals as last season - with Folha only netting 27 this term. Injury has forced Tinoco to miss a significant amount of minutes and our lack of winger depth was clearly evident during those times. Minutes were afforded for Hugo Claro and Tiago Mucha as they look to cement themselves into the first team and, despite Hugo's ratings, I am happy with his development and have no regrets over the huge amounts of starts I gave him - although a lot of those came at times Miguel Campino was tired following his adjustment to a first season as first choice.

I want to look at my squad depth as well as think about my long term plan for getting the youth team players into the first team. Speaking of which,  both youth teams have performed well this year:

1486c378bbaef724258facf7cc18c38c.png

Centre Back depth

With Francesc Riverola entering the last few weeks/month/year of his career - I need to plan accordingly for the future. Below are all the players who I believe are capable of playing centre back:

35dfa6cdaf5f5a0c0ad6128a315a532f.png

As you can see - three of the players have the asterisk next to their name to signify that I have identified them as potentially players who could make the first team. However - the issue is that, aside from the four players currently within my first team, they have a combined five appearances between them. When looking at the profiles of each of the three starred players, plus Ricardo Patricio - the other U23 centre back - the coach reports believe that none of these players are suitable for Primera Liga football, yet. Whilst they may have the time to grow - I am conscious that, with a busy schedule, I really need to have experienced heads.

I will go out and sign somebody.

Or not. That won't be happening given the restrictions I have placed on this save.

Plan B. Retraining.

8bd24df55cfa0392382c7c11dc441460.png

The above is Xuxa - my first team left back. He happens to be 6'4" tall and has decent attributes in all areas, except for heading. The plan is to retrain him as a centre back to fill the void for a couple of years. To fill his place - I plan to use Tiago Silva as a left back where possible as he is already competent there.

Flexibility is the key.

@_Ben_ I've posted only a few messages here years ago about some beta test and you're making me coming back just to tell you how great your story is!
I've been playing FM for as long as I can remember, probably more than 15 years, and you brought the Fm level way beyond anything I've seen so far.
Great writing, awesome challenge, and super performance.
Quick question: How can you go that fast?! are you managing all games or are you taking some vacation? 
Thanks again for you story and I hope it'll last for a very long time!

14 hours ago, Vladadam44 said:

@_Ben_ I've posted only a few messages here years ago about some beta test and you're making me coming back just to tell you how great your story is!
I've been playing FM for as long as I can remember, probably more than 15 years, and you brought the Fm level way beyond anything I've seen so far.
Great writing, awesome challenge, and super performance.
Quick question: How can you go that fast?! are you managing all games or are you taking some vacation? 
Thanks again for you story and I hope it'll last for a very long time!

Many many thanks for the kind words @Vladadam44 - I really appreciate that you are reading and enjoying my thoughts on the game I play in my spare time!

As for speed - it's a combination of a few things.

• I'm off work at the moment yet the rest of my family are still busy at work/nursery etc so I have a lot of time
  • I'm also ill - so that free time is all spent sat down
  • After I lost the league last season - I wanted to exert revenge as quickly as I could so stepped back from a few things that I had micromanaged before (such as training  and press conferences) and also added the continue time gameout so that I could move between actual matches faster and focus on the on-pitch decisions a bit more. I play with 2D on comprehensive but was able to move that to key when the time allowed.

If I look back at my posts - In the middle of Feb I was in 2034, middle of March 2036 and by the middle of this month in 2038 - I would say I play a season in about 2 weeks, but have cut a few corners and been able to get a full season done in a few days here due to the aforementioned reasons.

July/August 2039

10054a2e4c4440decdb6aee45db98ce4.png

96ad3e4e0d3b8d40035bde3befd24001.png

The perfect start to the season with an absolutely resounding victory over Sporting in the Supertaca followed up by some efficient football in the league where we have not conceded a goal. These four fixtures were not the most difficult, with the opposition predicted to end 17th, 10th, 15th and 14th but the demonstration of class is something we rarely showed last season. On the other hand, Porto sit on one point from their first three games - which means we've already opened up quite the gap to the second biggest side in the country. 

The Champions League has seen us drawn against Liverpool, Napoli and Kobenhaven - although part of me still wants to win the Europa League rather than come unstuck against the true giants of Europe.

September 2039

dba320a1fc8a15caeec3790061325456.png

c8731fe040abc3101de2828183527ec9.png

Things are continuing to go well for us as we mirror our early season form of last year and are actually playing some fantastic, expansive football but also being tight at the back. We didn't really turn up against Liverpool as (of course) ex-midfield maestro Marlon Valderrama ran the show for them. Still no sign of Porto...

Still following and enjoying very much. Tough to drop the league two seasons ago, but a great rebound to claim it once again.

Like others have said, absolutely love the longer write-ups and insight to how you play the game.

12 hours ago, tyler16 said:

Still following and enjoying very much. Tough to drop the league two seasons ago, but a great rebound to claim it once again.

Like others have said, absolutely love the longer write-ups and insight to how you play the game.

That's long gone now - hopefully we can begin our dynasty.

Many thanks for the kind words regarding the game though!

On 29/04/2019 at 19:03, WillHoward42 said:

Porto seem to have dropped off the pace the last couple of seasons. Anything drastic happened to them to have caused the decline?

250188094032b75fc2223e5e1390f830.png

They lost a succession of managers after only a short time at the club and, as such, I don't think they've built any kind of succession. Santana has come in to a right mess - there are several players with Rst next to them which may suggest poor transfer business and a small squad or poor AI training. 

It's interesting to see them fall apart and shows that the AI is changeable, although I have enjoyed the challenge of overcoming them over the years.

November/December 2039

6627c37a5c86a1992bc902da7f311421.png

68ce36baead1995cb495f5d70cf8fca7.png

8625ca69b4b6f0245f035e5fed2a150f.png

A busy couple of months whereby we have really picked up some momentum as we head into the 2040's. The defeat against Napoli saw us concede second place in the Champions League and the money that goes with it - however, it is imperative that we now go on and win the Europa League as I don't want to ever be in this competition again!

My four methods of training

521361176a4e2aa80d4753455c085815.png

Real life has got in the way somewhat lately - so it's nice to spend a bit of time getting back into the minute details of this squad. Above - I have five members of my first team squad, all younger players, who demonstrate the four methods of training that I use to develop my players.

A) Developing a role within my system

677c3b7ec6467694d463720f1da0ed6c.png

The above player is Hugo Claro - and I am developing him to play in the AP(s) role, which we use in the attacking midfield strata. As you can see - I am continuing to develop attributes that he is already decent at - with the exception of some mental attributes that will grow with his age. This stage normally comes later in a player's development, unless I have been able to earmark them for a role early in their development time.

B) Training a player in the same position but a different role

4a6d60d1fe00bc25f7f5eb5dfab038e3.png

Miguel Campino is my starting MC and normally plays in the Mez(s) role. However, I am choosing to train him as a DLP(s) because I want to focus on his mental attributes over the physical attributes that the Mezzala role focuses on. I am aware that I do miss out on working on his dribbling but the role I am asking him to play does kind of morph into a RPM but one who is very mobile. I would like, potential ability remaining, to be able to get a couple more points from his mental attributes and passing up to 15 (a number I would consider to be nearly world class [obviously in conjunction with other attributes]) then I will move him back to a Mez(s) role, in line with part a.

C) Training a player to improve squad versatility

391d723b137db55d4ee1a192e2b0e264.png

Tiago Mucha, above, is my young right back but I am training him to play as an IWB on the left hand side so that I have another tactical option, should I wish. 90% of the time he will play on the right hand side (largely due to the attacking options I have) but I have the option, should I need it - particularly if I am facing a wrong-footed winger and need a replacement late in the game. Left back Alberto Garcia is mirroring this development as a left back. As both these players are 'reasonable' on their weaker foot, I don't see this as too much of an issue but their use, as mentioned, will be very much game specific.

D) Training a player in an ineffectual position to improve only attributes

7d2041fef55dc3a2402a4d7735f7c1c3.png

I have to use the training screen to get a highlighted version for Joao Vieira as he is ineffectual as a right back. However - I want to train him in this role to ensure that he is a more rounded player. I use a winger on support in the AMR role so I need him to be able to track back and cover for a marauding full back if necessary. Whilst I am aware, and have read, that retraining to completely 'new' positions 'takes up' CA - as attribute weighting re-aligns (tackling 'costs' more for a striker than a defender, for example) - I don't want Vieira to have any holes in his game as I believe he has a lot of potential. I am aware that I will never get his defensive attributes to be world class, nor do I want them to be - likewise, I have no interest in training him to be a natural RB, but I want the focused training to remove the weaknesses from his game. I have chosen the CWB(a) role as it continues to focus on a lot of attributes than a W(s) also does. Later on in his development time - he will return to a w(s) role and game time will continue to develop his attributes.

January/February 2040

d0c32681878726583141fd8d44bb6e1f.png

a04c1ee1e576ed77d9bd5bc167710628.png

Two more months in the bag as we look in good shape to retain our title, even if our head-to-head against Benfica now gives them the upper hand, and inflicted us to two of our three defeats this year and the only league loss. We easily pushed aside Liege in the Europa League but rather annoyingly face Sporting in the second knockout round - removing one Portuguese club from the competition. Fortunately, Benfica are still in the hat as as Porto, who beat Milan 3-0 in the first leg of the Champions League knockout tie.

2040 Youth Intake

c6b40785dd09cbaec7b7f88dc108b7b9.png

Another year with three 'youth' affiliates and maxed our recruitment without a single foreign born youth player or a player taken from another club - surely some kind of bug. Early indications tell me that this is a good intake, if only looking at their descriptions and hierarchy. George Gugu is the 'leader' of this team, potentially indicating a good current ability (my staff say he's the brightest oft he bunch, too) and I have a 'promising' player (good PA potentially) and a 'striker' which tends to be the go-to description where their CA is too high to refer to them as a 'young striker.'

Obviously - all of those things are guess work and the next few months of training etc will really determine their future plans.

4eddd1b70636ff24adf65bbc14dcb1a5.png

1c28bbdec2458bf3abf7fdce39b41a95.png

78c6ef42a24bc540ba36bb2f3367cef4.png

On 18/04/2019 at 12:25, _Ben_ said:

May 2039

fcc515fd98cc5a1b8dbab704ab9dc119.png

caf189135c9e6d635b0076d81f13367b.png

An absolutely atrocious end to the season. I could go on about being 'FM-ed' on the last game but the truth is that we need to be better at breaking down poor teams. Portimonense took 4 points from us this season and that is what kept them up and stopped us from winning the league.

Whilst I'm absolutely livid - we need perfection to win this league given the strength of Porto and Benfica and this season has not been that.

Wow, a bit behind but that is Cruel!!!! Glad to see if didn't keep you down and got back to it, let's hope it won't come down to the last day this year.....

28 minutes ago, theBlackPrince said:

Wow, a bit behind but that is Cruel!!!! Glad to see if didn't keep you down and got back to it, let's hope it won't come down to the last day this year.....

Thanks @theBlackPrince - cruel indeed, but we look to have learnt from it as we are well on our way to two in a row now.

Squad depth update

440fa9049a6e65dd061d69fc30cf5e05.png

I am able to split my team into six very separate areas currently, and, whilst I don't plan on signing anyone, I can easily see where I lack depth.

Top left is what I would consider my strongest XI. Over the next couple of years I would like to phase out Braz, D. Marques, Medina and Xuxa, as they are not homegrown at the club. There is a mix of experienced older heads and a couple of younger players, namely Campino and Monteiro, who have really benefited from my approach to youth over the past four years. Unfortunately, Andre Folha is nearing the end of his illustrious career but he leads a number of absolutely fantastic academy graduates I have developed.

Bottom left is the remainder of my first team - a selection of players who have not yet nailed down a first team place but do get plenty of football. Similar to my approach for non-HG first XI players,  I would like to move Vargas and Guilherme on soon to leave me with a completely academy based squad. To fill the vacancies within defence - both Mucha and Garcia are ready to deputise but are just not experienced enough yet.

As you can see from both of the left hand columns - versatility has been a huge focus over the past year or so and Mucha, Tiago Silva, G. Marques and Xuxa have all learnt new positions to allow a greater tactical freedom and run a smaller squad, which is a necessity with a youth only approach.

Top middle shows my best youth side - who play in the U23 division. As you can see from the asterisk denoting a promising player in my intake - this team is full of them. Of course, this does not guarantee they will be first team material but Vaz isn't far from replacing Medina, but only lacks the fact he's right footed and not left. Antonio Machado, at only 16, is classified as a player who has the ability to play in the top tier but I want him to gather more experience before I look to replace Xuxa with him. 

Bottom middle shows a group of players who have been usurped by players I would consider to be more promising than them or ones who require first team football to allow me to make the decision to either keep them around the first team or move them on. Sandro Mourinho, for example, is a player good enough for the first team, but has only made four career appearances and, as such, gets the chance to prove himself on loan. Fail to do so, and I am under no obligation to keep him as I have promising players ahead and behind him. With this approach - I see no real reason to push players through who aren't ready.

Top right shows players who I deem as promising enough to have a future here or at a good level of Portuguese football but they are maybe not quite at an ability level to perform well enough yet or have their final playing position nailed down. This is somewhat of an experimental side and I like to play players in various positions to see how they develop and play - Correira is a tall centre back with good physicals so is learning the PF(d) role for another option. Out of this crop - I think two or three could make the first team.

Bottom right is the left over players from my youth intake who are training for their futures. They get minutes and have training set for them but I have no real hope. Most of them leave their youth contracts over the three years before they must sign a professional deal.

Areas of strength:

AMC - Monteiro, Ressureciao and Andre all appear to have a lot of quality.

DC: Muge and Vaz can step up replacing Medina Raposo and I still have Mourinho and Patricio available.

Areas of weakness:

AML: Balde is solid. Silveiro is not an IF but Matela is training as a RMD. I like a goal scoring option on one side and only Matela is capable of that from the left.

AMR: Tinoco and Vieira are good but there is no depth behind them.

March/April 2040

da1aaeabc47563f4e36b1db82a451aa0.png

7e21254403f357541853f902b37c9fd7.png

A slightly cumbersome April, particularly in the league, casts a shadow over a near perfect March. The loss to Boavista aside - we showed that we are far superior to Sporting over three ties, yet find them as our closest rivals in the league. The foot has come off the gas somewhat as we've looked to secure a place in the Europa League final - played in nearby Lisbon. We have one foot there with a resounding victory over Sevilla and will either face Leicester or Roma there. The season ends with ties against Porto, Rio Ave and relegated Setubal - not easy but I hope the slender league can see us home and retaining our title. We can also add the aforementioned Europa League and the Taca de Portugal to complete a treble.

Found this thread yesterday, great job so far :thup: Beira-Mar is kind of a sad story in Portugal, they used to be regulars in the top tier, but around 2004 due to the Euros a new stadium was built in Aveiro and club lost its identity - their home stadium Mário Duarte is a timeless classic. The club returned there a couple years ago in hope to find their spark again, which was lost from the fanbase.

You are doing a fantastic job, congratulations. Your Beira-Mar looks almost unstoppable on a league that´s very balanced on the top, specially against Porto and Benfica. Hope you can win the Europa League too.

I also played with Nacional in Portugal and did some good improvement, I like the league however it takes a lot of time to match the Big Three and I gave up. But maybe in the future I will try it again with Maritimo or a team from 2nd division.

Archived