[FM18] This is The One: Madchester's Back!

smp20

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, warlock said:

Impressive. Looks like you're getting some great performances out of the youngsters, too - Axel and CBJ, in particular.

Cheers, a few more youngsters have emerged in the first team throughout the season too.

18 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Goodness, that must cause brutal overloads when you hit teams on the break...

It certainly does, it can be fantastic to watch at times!

15 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Amazing thread! Look forward to hearing more about your progress. 

Any other players you have your eye on?

Thanks :D. I've got my eye on a couple of regens from Man City but I don't think they'll ever join us due to the rivalry. Other than that, I've got everyone I was after and can't see anyone who would strengthen the squad. Maybe Josh Vela, but he's not going to be a first teamer.

The words "Manchester" and "United" surround a pennant featuring a ship in full sail and a devil holding a trident.

2019/20 Mid-Season Update

After an incredible start our form has petered off. I'm stil happy with the style of play and will be sticking with it. The attacking football is good to watch and we keep the ball well. I'm also a fan of the high press. I just hope we can turn more of those draws into wins! It's funny to see Spurs, who we beat 8-0 in the opening game, top of the league. With our game in hand we could overtake them though. Ethan Laird is the latest youngster to overtake an established player, now regularly starting ahead of Trippier. We're still going in all competitions and despite a poor CL group campaign we sneaked into the knockouts and have a decent draw against Roma.

Oh in other news Jesse Lingard was World Player of The Year and 3rd in the Balon D'or :brock:

Premier League

d25517f738d482b049a3e97d46528951.png

57730d28334b9f2fd60b1d098d806866.png

Champions League

71ccf0f5f43640751ea9d3b03f1a697c.png

Domestic Cups

e74ecfc0a766596d78b90956faf1a9a8.png

Player Stats

57188fcd3637f97ceac63a9f5c02b4de.png

6 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Lingard for Ballon!! Now I’ve heard everything lol

hows Gomes coming along?

3rd place, but still :lol: - no Messi or Ronaldo in sight!

In a cafe (aka pub) in Brighton at the moment 'working'....can't get gyazo to work but I can say I'm very impressed with Gomes' progress. Will upload full squad screenshots at the end of this season.

20 hours ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

This is proof of... nothing. Other than how nuts FM can be. Lingard for Ballon dor :lol:

Turns out it wasn't the Ballon D'Or but these two:

18dabc46966fedc888b94adb6131d212.png

d9b07b2f406d2a37a7aeab55ff7648d7.png

manchester-united-class-of-1992-1024x399

Class of 2020

9dade9a06c5c64acd717e636b5eb93ed.png

Best of his generation :D. Donnelly has got a lot of work to do to live up to his tag, but he's already a top class finisher.

55344f109f59f63e36b16ec9a0a89906.png

4054edd56ae977212f0e8207e15523d7.png

7f3a8a1f60e0c6de2187b052abb9ed5a.png

17060712ed1b8ed7682eb1bd9a05ee94.png

77df095c600aede74829004499e5e829.png

481ca585cd7501cb19c6a6c01e09e7e5.png

It's taken us a 3 seasons but we've won the league with our North-West lads :D

Premier League

4af2b2bb4c676d711a076913c53a8bb6.png

We ended up winning the league in style, finishing in fine form and 13 points ahead of the closest challengers Arsenal.

Domestic Cups

f240510f831324d7eead4e042bc48cb5.png

A disappointing semi-final exit, which would have seen us face Bournemouth in the final, meant we are still chasing our first League Cup win. Spurs got the better of us in the FA Cup final too - we're still to win a cup final (I'm not counting comm shield and super cups as cup finals).

Champions League

afe7a3b92391e823eb95934737cb9c0f.png

We were poor in the groups but scraped through. We were much better in knockout games convincingly beating Roma and also 2-1 victories home and away vs Atletico. Unfortunately Barca's firepower was too much for us when they went gung ho at Old Trafford, eventually losing out on a place in the final on away goals.

Miscellaneous

a87f99babb86a66d4e7939998d46b607.png

After being sacked by Cardiff Giggsy was happy to re-sign as a coach. This means that the only 'Class of 92' star not in a role at the club is Paul Scholes who's unfortunately not in the save.

938abe802811714bef8865712cd7d0a8.png

Whoops, bad luck Arsenal!!

b518667029310859c53764090ffcc988.png

Old Trafford is getting biiiiiiig :cool:

6c8182a67ac398b5e4f7dfbebe720d0d.png

We make up nearly half of the England squad - Gomes, Pearson and Laird getting their first call ups and caps in the tournament. England went out to Spain in the Quarter-Finals.

ad735e8007c942e77dd26a18c16a4600.png

A definite possession style; a first for me on FM18!

The Squad 2020

Top Minutes Played

180ea300eea058f741148df1a31af3ec.png

First 11 & Tactics

c3d8c66d61a1280ac1305d58c14429e2.png

Goalkeepers

Heaton ~ Henderson ~ Johnstone ~ Hamilton 19A

Full Backs

Laird ~ Trippier ~ Borthwick-Jackson ~ Mitchell

Centre Backs

Tuanzebe ~ Jones ~ Keane ~ Williams ~ Dawson ~ Tarkowski ~ Evans

Centre Mids

Cleverley ~ Drinkwater ~ Pearson ~ McTominay ~ Miles 18B ~ Garner

Attacking Mids

Foden ~ Rashford ~ Lingard ~ Gomes ~ Ince ~ Morrison ~ Gribbin ~ Barlow

Strikers

Welbeck ~ Wilson ~ Rodriguez ~ Barker 18A

35 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Phil Foden is a great player if you train him right...……(even if you don't) in almost every save he becomes an International Legend if not a Club Legend.

He's developed incredibly well despite being out injured for 7 months in his first season with us. As you can see he played the most minutes out of the whole squad this season and our attack is built around him. He switches to opposite flanks and comes deep so he's an ideal central pivot in our attacking midfield!

this is a great little read :)

I spent FM17 doing a similar save at Forest (I only allowed myself to sign ex-players that had come through the academy). Having a team of regens is such a cool feeling, but I never have the interest or patience to run a lower league youth only save. I think that starting at a 'top' club has its own unique challenges that you only realise when you play one out. 

Are there any transfer targets that you are still chasing? even if its just ones like Mark Robins & Gerard Pique as coaches? I thought you would have kept Pogba, surely he met your initial criteria as he came through the youth team?

3 hours ago, Carninho said:

this is a great little read :)

I spent FM17 doing a similar save at Forest (I only allowed myself to sign ex-players that had come through the academy). Having a team of regens is such a cool feeling, but I never have the interest or patience to run a lower league youth only save. I think that starting at a 'top' club has its own unique challenges that you only realise when you play one out. 

Are there any transfer targets that you are still chasing? even if its just ones like Mark Robins & Gerard Pique as coaches? I thought you would have kept Pogba, surely he met your initial criteria as he came through the youth team?

Cheers Carninho :D - I'm usually doing youth only saves with little sides so I end up with teams loaded with regens. It's interesting to be a big club and have to develop the young talent they have in their youth teams, some of whom normally don't get a look in.

Now it's just a case of scouring all the other local teams for young regens that could add to our youth team, player wise I've pretty much snapped up everyone I want/need to. I've gone down the UK only route for both players and staff now - Pogba and Pique are far too foreign :brock:

@smp20 as a United fan I hated to see you ship out De Gea, but this thread inspired me to try something similar with PSG (Pogba was the worst signing I've ever made, lost every game he played and I got sacked). 

Do you have any players in that Scotland squad?

9 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

@smp20 as a United fan I hated to see you ship out De Gea, but this thread inspired me to try something similar with PSG (Pogba was the worst signing I've ever made, lost every game he played and I got sacked). 

Do you have any players in that Scotland squad?

Ohh I almost did it with PSG too, bet they're tough to meet the expectations! I assume you didn't like that I allowed Zlatan to finish out his career playing reserve football either :lol:. I don't, in fact I don't have any Scots at all! In my 3 squads the only non-English now are 4 Welsh, 1 Northern Irish and 3 Irish. Great to see I've inspired similar saves!

41 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Ohh I almost did it with PSG too, bet they're tough to meet the expectations! I assume you didn't like that I allowed Zlatan to finish out his career playing reserve football either :lol:. I don't, in fact I don't have any Scots at all! In my 3 squads the only non-English now are 4 Welsh, 1 Northern Irish and 3 Irish. Great to see I've inspired similar saves!

Yeah, I just hit a downward spiral - for some reason my front three of Neymar, Mbappe and Gameiro / Moussa Dembele couldn't finish their chances. I couldn't get rid of Neymar, Marquinhos, Kurzawa, Yuri or Verratti mostly due to new contracts, so I played them with the plan to sell them at the end of the first season when I had more scouting done and could find replacements. I was nearer relegation than Europe so could have no complaints.

I thought it was ok leaving Zlatan there, especially in comparison to what I did. I considered Bayern but I'm just so ambivalent towards them - at least I felt like I was reforming PSG - so I'm thinking of going back and doing another United save where I get rid of the whole "sign young foreigners for the academy"  malarkey and just let the local lads come through, only signing foreigners when I can't fill the gap in the first team with a youngster. Like I love Pogba, who would violate that transfer strategy, but it doesn't seem right - I wish he could've spent a couple of seasons at Le Havre then moved on somewhere, like how Cristiano broke through at Sporting all those years ago before he moved - in the current era he would probably had done a Kingsley Coman and rotated through half the top clubs in Europe by now.

13 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Yeah, I just hit a downward spiral - for some reason my front three of Neymar, Mbappe and Gameiro / Moussa Dembele couldn't finish their chances. I couldn't get rid of Neymar, Marquinhos, Kurzawa, Yuri or Verratti mostly due to new contracts, so I played them with the plan to sell them at the end of the first season when I had more scouting done and could find replacements. I was nearer relegation than Europe so could have no complaints.

I thought it was ok leaving Zlatan there, especially in comparison to what I did. I considered Bayern but I'm just so ambivalent towards them - at least I felt like I was reforming PSG - so I'm thinking of going back and doing another United save where I get rid of the whole "sign young foreigners for the academy"  malarkey and just let the local lads come through, only signing foreigners when I can't fill the gap in the first team with a youngster. Like I love Pogba, who would violate that transfer strategy, but it doesn't seem right - I wish he could've spent a couple of seasons at Le Havre then moved on somewhere, like how Cristiano broke through at Sporting all those years ago before he moved - in the current era he would probably had done a Kingsley Coman and rotated through half the top clubs in Europe by now.

Yeah having a youth focused theme with a big club like Man Utd is satisfying. I imagine some of those at PSG are on ridiculous wages that other teams wouldn't want to pay as well so it's difficult to offload. I found loaning out easier for some.

11 hours ago, warlock said:

I blame the manager :p.

But otherwise, a pretty good season!

Haha, well i could have gone defensive I guess...Cheers!

6 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Super stuff @smp20 !! Well done on getting united back to the top of the pile. 

Great progress with some of the young players like Gomes Foden Laird etc they look excellent. 

What is old Trafford capacity going to be now? 

Thanks! Old Trafford will become a 91k seater, bigger than Wembley, ready for next season. Down to just over 60k for this season though.

43 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Yeah having a youth focused theme with a big club like Man Utd is satisfying. I imagine some of those at PSG are on ridiculous wages that other teams wouldn't want to pay as well so it's difficult to offload. I found loaning out easier for some.

Lass Diarra is on £300k per week...hadn't played football in 18 months in real life. Could barely get even United to pay people's wages, even after taking Pogba off their hands. Its weird how lower English clubs offer much higher wages than their foreign equivalents, but then even United and City lad behind the wages of the likes of Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi. 

6 hours ago, smp20 said:

Thanks! Old Trafford will become a 91k seater, bigger than Wembley, ready for next season. Down to just over 60k for this season though.

I thought stadiums in England weren't allowed to surpass the capacity of Wembley ?

5 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Lass Diarra is on £300k per week...hadn't played football in 18 months in real life. Could barely get even United to pay people's wages, even after taking Pogba off their hands. Its weird how lower English clubs offer much higher wages than their foreign equivalents, but then even United and City lad behind the wages of the likes of Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi. 

Yeah their wages are around £500k a week mark or more, astronomical!

3 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

I'm waaay too pleased seeing Manchester United succeed than I should be. Excellent!

Likewise :lol:

14 minutes ago, Clarky323 said:

I thought stadiums in England weren't allowed to surpass the capacity of Wembley ?

In this post-brexit world of 2020 anything goes :brock: 

26 minutes ago, Clarky323 said:

Is that a real thing? You got a source? 

Not an interrogation, just seems like a very curious thing if its true and I'd like to know more.

10 minutes ago, smp20 said:

In this post-brexit world of 2020 anything goes :brock: 

Presumably if there is some rule about not surpassing Wembley, it doesn't apply once Wembley has been sold off

The words "Manchester" and "United" surround a pennant featuring a ship in full sail and a devil holding a trident.

2020/21 Mid-Season Update

Transfers

f9cd0a1612639d8e2021bfe33eece9ab.png

Took a punt on a few local youngsters, though only Finch is seen as more than 2* PA now so they're unlikely to do more than make up the numbers in our youth squads. With a number of young players emerging and needing to get minutes on the pitch I decided to sell off some fringe players - Evans, McNair, Ince and Dawson - while Clough and Morrison will see out their contracts on loan. Simpson, Rodriguez and Watmore were all released, now playing at Lincoln, Tenerife and Hull respectively.

Premier League

e34b750754915f00d3a3a91622b2da8e.png

43051717918e9708a1f4f8e9fb334e6b.png

A very nice unbeaten run so far and we're looking odds on to retain the title for the first time since 2009 :D

Domestic Cups

ae71a225262b14f0da433959c55504d7.png

It's time to plot our revenge against Newcastle in the semis, though I will be sticking with the second string side that have got us this far.

Champions League

61c0cb387506f894c15c33027a72dd09.png

We topped the group, although we did suffer our only loss so far of the season in Valencia. The North-West of England takes on the Basque Country in the knockouts.

Player Stats

d77dc4ecabf5177d9ca78e45d7ca3b88.png

Plenty of rotation this year - the likes of Barlow and McTominay breaking into the side. Rashford, Lingard and Foden are all world class performers now, while Tuanzebe is emerging as a top class centre back.

52 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Presumably if there is some rule about not surpassing Wembley, it doesn't apply once Wembley has been sold off

I heard they sold it off to the Glazers...

2 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Is that a real thing? You got a source? 

Not an interrogation, just seems like a very curious thing if its true and I'd like to know more.

Not sure if it is or not. I'm sure I heard it somewhere though. Maybe when I was talking to someone about football or something. Can't find anything from a quick online search so maybe it's not true...

14 hours ago, zlatanera said:

The only thing more perfect than drawing Athletic Club in a knockout in this save would be playing them in the final. I think they actually have a bigger catchment area (land, not population) than you

Yeah that would be one hell of a final! Unfortunately I fee like they're a club we could slip up against and we did indeed lose 2-0 in Bilbao :(

manchester-united-class-of-1992-1024x399

Class of 2021

812b49eb8e3459fadb96ecf05c908911.png

Very underwhelming intake. Leather was picked out as the best, but Mason seems to have the better potential. No-one else even looks half decent and only a few will be signed to add depth to our u18s.

729391edf8cea252a277433a12227ad5.png

a4d10c3475579aff0792d3e23721b96b.png

b5b03825d0ea39aa9d30227419557483.png

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Leather might be better right now, but I think Mason could become a stalwart BWM or Deep Playmaker.(at least squad player)

Great Comeback against Bilbao as well.

Cheers! I'm skeptical about both of them having the potential to break into the first team tbh, but they will be given the opportunity. 

5af4f5a02f002f90b576e7a8f56ad1e6.png

We finally broke our record of final losses and managed to win a domestic treble! Our U23s won the Football League Trophy as well so you could say it was the domestic quadruple :lol:. We've not been great on our travels, particularly in Europe, a heavy loss in Paris being our downfall in our CL exit. At one point we looked set for an unbeaten PL season, but a run of 4 losses in 5 games meant that we finished on exactly the same number of points as last season, scoring 1 less but conceding 2 less. Now that's consistency :brock:

Premier League

73166ca22404000b7ae938c4fc5cd1c4.png

cef2286994576b0b3a6b4144fb97c9f7.png

Domestic Cups

3385680096f87ff8532db4c277f4a5d9.png

ea98d88fdfb6235fefd0938165d3ac16.png

Champions League

b327ffad8670ef186c319a4262e067ca.png

Player Stats

6b480391787c7aabed20cd581fc8338e.png

10 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Cheers! I'm skeptical about both of them having the potential to break into the first team tbh, but they will be given the opportunity. 

I'm not expecting World Class play from Mason but contribution like Adam Miles 18B. Most likely after training him you will end up selling to a Championship side with ambition.

64ad97d11dd5de5baae380140883242d.png

Rashford on his way to become a club hero. Only 23, plenty of time to break more records. He equaled the record PL tally of 34 this season.

2 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

I'm not expecting World Class play from Mason but contribution like Adam Miles 18B. Most likely after training him you will end up selling to a Championship side with ambition.

If he ends up like Adam Miles I would be extremely happy:

007d9f4adcc73b59b7c3e09a842c3d9c.png

10 hours ago, smp20 said:

0bd151ee1c4237289901ea379e164823.png

But oh the shame.....

I can't believe you actually got fined! I added Cristiano Ronaldo's £425k / week to my wage budget which had me exceeding regulations all season yet didn't see any consequences. I guess it really is different rules for some people...

10 hours ago, smp20 said:

64ad97d11dd5de5baae380140883242d.png

Rashford on his way to become a club hero. Only 23, plenty of time to break more records. He equaled the record PL tally of 34 this season.

How fast do you reckon you can beat Charlton's league goals and Rooney's overall? Is he scoring for England?

Also, I may have missed a post but I've never seen anyone in the United threads develop Ethan Laird, do you have a screenshot? Same with Gomes, Demetri Mitchell and Ro-Shaun Williams. 

Archived