[FM18] This is The One: Madchester's Back!

smp20

factory-1200x675.jpeg

This is The One: Madchester's Back!

Yes, another thread by me. This time I want to try something a bit different. I'm going to be managing Manchester United, but with a twist. I want to bring back the Manchester identity with the club and develop Manchester as a hub for footballing talent. I will be using the following rules:

1. Every player in the squad must have been born within a 30 mile radium of Old Trafford - therefore the North-West - with the exclusion of Liverpool.
  2. Exception number 1: Northern Irish / Irish players with a long standing connection with the club from a young age (e.g. Jonny Evans)
  3. Exception number 2: Players born outside of the North-West but moved at a young age and have a long standing connection with the club (e.g. Angel Gomes)
  4. The first season is a transition season. As much as I'd love to sell everyone and use the rules from day 1, it will be impossible to move on the latest signings, or even sign all of my targets as they are new signings elsewhere.
  5. From the start of the 2nd season, all players must meet the criteria from 1, 2 or 3.

70fa556798e936eef29f84742efacaa0.png

I've gone with Becks as manager - the adopted Manc - who is ideal for this kind of challenge. I will be looking to get the class of '92 back together as backroom staff, but unfortunately Scholesy is not in the game as a coach :(

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely loathe the club. ;) Absolutely love the approach. :thup:

P.S.: I do like Becks, though, and somehow that avatar looks eerily like the real thing... :cool: 

7 hours ago, dllu said:

Absolutely loathe the club. ;) Absolutely love the approach. :thup:

P.S.: I do like Becks, though, and somehow that avatar looks eerily like the real thing... :cool: 

Haha, I can't say that I'm a fan of Utd at all, but this way I'm going to make them likable for myself. Never managed them before so will be interesting.

Yeah I'm happy with the facegen - much better than the normal blob you get! Cheers for following.

First update imminent, it's been a busy transfer period!

The words "Manchester" and "United" surround a pennant featuring a ship in full sail and a devil holding a trident.

First Update: Complete Overhaul July/August 2017

I don't think I've ever been this busy in a transfer window! First of all lets take a look at the outgoings.

Transfers Out

d2b8a977793ca92483eea65760c0c4a7.png

I went all out trying to offload as many players as possible that didn't fit the criteria. This meant sales of top class players such as Bailly, Pogba and De Gea and where I couldn't sell players I offered out on loan. Missing from this is the sale of Luke Shaw to Brighton in August. We still have Rojo, Ibrahimovic, Sanchez, Lindelof and Matic on our books who I will look to move on in January. I've decided to go all out and not use them from the start, so if they haven't been sold they're in the reserves.

Transfers In

d0d927d98ef5e7ddc3d46e4b5dcda7b4.png

As expected we had to pay over the odds compared to normal prices I see certain players sold for, but I wanted to assemble by squad together as soon as possible and we had plenty of cash to splash with the amount of players leaving. In hindsight I've signed a few too many centre backs, let's see who stakes a claim in the squad.

Staff 

9b9fd84cb7ef386550286f76c086749e.png

Of course I had to bring in the Nevilles and Keane into the coaching setup, whilst McGuinness re-joins and we've thrown cash at the likes of Peters, Rui Costa and Speakman to get them to be our coaches. England's number 2 Steve Holland joins as my right-hand man as well. I accidentally forgot to sign any fitness coaches, so hopefully we are allowed to get a couple more in soon.

Pre-season Odds

f54899b391eaee4d32fb536a775f1812.png

After considerably weakening the side on paper in order to meet the criteria, we're now predicted to finish 6th, well off the pace odds wise compared to the other big guns. We're expected to get CL football which could prove difficult.

Main Squad

e27a23f26ee1b3da74ef22a3499b588b.png

This is how our main squad looks at the moment, bar a couple of other youngsters brought up and a backup keeper. The only player who doesn't meet the criteria is Carrick, who will see out his last season at the club. Angel Gomes and Scott McTominay have both been with the club since the age of 6! I think it's a decent enough squad, though we do lack a bit of creativity.

August Results

c53aad17f3f54227fafccabf831eb49b.png

As you can see Rashford and Welbeck have been providing the fire power. We've been very good on the counter, but our defence was torn apart by Leicester's Vardy & Mahrez. I've been tweaking as I go and we're hopefully less vulnerable to pace at the back now.

Tactics

0bf44bde118f45071556fc8cd441d366.png

This has been tweaked a lot already and it's even tweaked since the above screenshot to fluid instead of very fluid, but this is the gist of how I want to play. Solid defence, play it out from the back, short when we need to, but look to get it into space for our pacey front 3 to exploit. We've not got the technical ability in midfield to control games so we will look to pick teams off on the counter.

Brilliant... and bonkers! I'll definitely be following.

To say that squad is bottom-heavy would be the grandest of understatements... I'll be looking for an innovative 7-2-1 formation!

And let's not contemplate an injury to Welbeck or Heaton. Good luck!!!

7 minutes ago, warlock said:

Brilliant... and bonkers! I'll definitely be following.

To say that squad is bottom-heavy would be the grandest of understatements... I'll be looking for an innovative 7-2-1 formation!

And let's not contemplate an injury to Welbeck or Heaton. Good luck!!!

Cheers @warlock - yeah I didn't really need to sign all those centre backs :lol:. Formation wise I'm as bottom heavy as I'd like to get, I've got my eye on Jay Rodriguez and Tom Ince as attacking options to sign in January.

The words "Manchester" and "United" surround a pennant featuring a ship in full sail and a devil holding a trident.

September/October 2017 Update

Going reasonably well, but not spectacular. I'm still tinkering a lot with tactics, currently going strikerless.

Results

eaafe3f36903d7a918a6031857c50d39.png

League Table

04f915d71d1d88c5bc515114b4cb45b6.png

Latest Tactics

85f3a8abe0de4cb0c10c779c90e22e9c.png

November/December 2017 Update

eaf9f994691583506cfdfe8c2d4eb4dc.png

b41d22a5c5b9f4f5ee6bddb9f8f992b3.png

A long unbeaten run, but despite this I still can't settle tactics wise :lol:. We're still a fair way behind our biggest rivals going into the new year, but I'm really happy with how this season has gone so far.

3 minutes ago, smp20 said:

We're still a fair way behind our biggest rivals going into the new year

Looks like those draws are hurting you, although they seem to alternate with some decent wins so not sure if it's the lack of strikers or something else.

Interesting that McTominay is getting on the scoresheet. Where are you playing him? He's a player I like a lot (have had him on loan in the Championship in a few saves) but he doesn't find the net very often.

5 hours ago, warlock said:

Looks like those draws are hurting you, although they seem to alternate with some decent wins so not sure if it's the lack of strikers or something else.

Interesting that McTominay is getting on the scoresheet. Where are you playing him? He's a player I like a lot (have had him on loan in the Championship in a few saves) but he doesn't find the net very often.

Yeah a few too many draws against weaker sides, but I can't complain overall about results. McTominay has bagged 3 goals from the Mezzala role :) 

3 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Interesting Formation...…..almost makes me want to try strikerless formations!  I am a Wenger disciple 4-2-3-1 Wide on FM, but this might change my mind.

My formation is ever-changing :lol:

January/February 2018 Update

Transfers In

cea84de0f11d94136a1d8ce323f6cfa4.png

Ince and Rodriguez come in to add other attacking options while Cleverley bolsters our midfield and Keane will be straight into our defence. McNair is pretty versatile so a good squad player to have.

Transfers Out

5f8a67db8d60cb85289aa2a541d537c0.png

Sanchez, Matic and Lindelof off after a few months playing for the U23s...Chester & Blackett aren't good enough so have been shifted out on loan.

Results

4b6798b18e42268faf8d57dbaadc7673.png

Still decent, although PSG battered us. We played really well in the cup final and were unlucky not to win it.

Table

16169f51bdbe8992fccea75db5ce7d73.png

Wahay, we've leapfrogged Liverpool. We're coming for ya Pep!

Tactics...

d3f20c9fadb0dd54ae0e954b492607d4.png

37e9547a877453a4235d40adf857d5c0.png

I think you can call me tinkerman :brock:

C_71_article_1456270_image_list_image_li

Class of '18

7adbdde42c3b6e34eba40cfdd37502d1.png

A decent first intake with a 5* potebntial player and one who's ready to play u23s football at just 15! We've got a couple of foreigners in there who I won't be keeping. For the rest not born in Manchester/Salford, I will pretend they moved there as a young kid :p

1269ca05cdb9cb70ed6ccf6aed9a9980.png

95f50441ccd0623fe72a25a5f3f96533.png

66f3b4e85cae132cc03a8c9244237e00.png

26881e1cb5aea92d50a9e87c35fdcc0b.png

e443a2f6871362ee0721b534c68f1618.png

I can imagine this being a big talking point among United and City fans IRL as well! Of course we've overpaid, but he's a player I want to build around. He's got the spark and creativity we're lacking.

March/April 2018 Update

Title Race

a03c1186c4edd5e01abd33858797c144.png

With 5 games to go it was City's to lose.

Results/Fixtures

ac799c4c831fbd2a3723e2481cda5f9c.png

Far too many draws and eventually a league loss, only our 3rd of the season, against Chelsea which put us out the race and Chelsea lost their next game meaning City were crowned champions. We're through to the FA Cup final against them!!!

League Table

47428df7857f7853d46e307b300d969f.png

We've secured our place in next season's Champions League, but we could finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

4 hours ago, Lenzar said:

Ironic that you want players from Manchester when most United fans have no connection with the city. :D

Maybe more local ones will be interested in us now :brock:. We are the Madchester brand.

Madchester, eh?

Very much an 'Us and us only' approach to this save, I see. I'll look forward to you 'Tellin' Stories' as this goes on, but with you being United, I can't promise I won't celebrate if you choke on some 'Indian Rope' in your chase for success. 😎

Best of luck! 👊

f5171c9783eb6ad5bb76e7a8d644c207.png

League Table ~ Champions League Review ~ Facilities ~ Finances ~ Commercial Summary

Runners up in the PL, FA Cup and League Cup - overall a great season really considering we're in transition and I've not had a clear tactical vision in mind. It would have been nice to pick up a trophy, but we will be more determined next season and with a creator like young Foden we could unravel defences and score more goals. PSG went on to beat City in the CL, so at least we went out to the eventual winners and City didn't win the treble! Check out that sponsorship money, over £200m! Insane, and we are rich because of it.

53036681c9b98623dd9aa2a356a09e55.png

Sorted by minutes played, Heaton and Evans were mainstay in our defence while our attacking trio of Rashford, Lingard and Welbeck were more or less ever present. I am to give youngsters more time next season, but Angel Gomes and Scott McTominay did make quite a few appearances.

6e6ae2ff6db2da0c5dfeef944453886a.png

As it stands I've decided on the above for next season, no doubt it will be tweaked!

11 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Madchester, eh?

Very much an 'Us and us only' approach to this save, I see. I'll look forward to you 'Tellin' Stories' as this goes on, but with you being United, I can't promise I won't celebrate if you choke on some 'Indian Rope' in your chase for success. 😎

Best of luck! 👊

A Charlatans fan I see :lol: - cheers!

4aed486856d8d2906f455bf2a722110c.png

79731141396bb866b7d9415f0824d8c1.png

Foden has arrived! He's got a lot of hype to live up to, very split fan base so lets hope he can perform from a young age and win them around.

1 hour ago, LUFCspeni said:

Really interesting save idea, but as a Leeds fan I hope you crash and burn :D

How dare you! :lol: Leeds won the Championship so that old Lancashire - Yorkshire rivalry is being revived :brock:

4a23c8f9aee6a31d4e10682fb9eaf392.png

Cheers Carrick - last of the non-locals to be allowed in the side. Time to be brutal and clear out the youth sides of their foreigners. 

I'm not happy that United won, but I'm thrilled that Guardiola lost.

The day that man earns my respect is the day he achieves success with a club that doesn't have billions to throw his way..

Billedresultat for pep guardiola sad

9 hours ago, dllu said:

I'm not happy that United won, but I'm thrilled that Guardiola lost.

The day that man earns my respect is the day he achieves success with a club that doesn't have billions to throw his way..

Billedresultat for pep guardiola sad

I respect him as a tactician. But that’s it. Lets see him try and manage in non league...

anyone up for a petition to get Guardiola at a non specified non league team? Oh yeah there’s a thread going on as well. Nice one beating those sky blue frauds. And even more well done’s oN Foden, that guy is pure class

I'm enjoying the dislike of Guardiola on this thread @dllu and @SmileFaceGamer :D If Guardiola were to get randomly assigned to a non-league side he'd fluke Billericay anyway! 

tenor.gif?itemid=4864097  

Yesterday I embarked on an fm session at the same time as a beers session. I wasn't happy with the amount of chances created using my 4-2-4 strikerless so I experimented with tactics. As the beers got flowing, so did the ridiculous ideas of what I should do tactically. Including this monstrosity:

f710efb5479bd24e82b08fb4627e357b.png

Needless to say that results were hit and miss, and of course i've zoomed way into the season without updating. I'm now at 1st March 2019 and I will update from there.

:ackter:

I've seen some weird tactics over the years, but this thread is pushing the envelope :D.

I'm curious why you're persisting with Butt as HoYD - he just isn't very good (although I'd grant you he's done OK this year). Does your Madchester requirement extend to staff as well, and is there really no-one better?

Edit: Just checked in my save and a lot of the HoYD candidates don't have birthplaces in their biogs. But you can definitely do better than Butt!

1 hour ago, warlock said:

I've seen some weird tactics over the years, but this thread is pushing the envelope :D.

I'm curious why you're persisting with Butt as HoYD - he just isn't very good (although I'd grant you he's done OK this year). Does your Madchester requirement extend to staff as well, and is there really no-one better?

Edit: Just checked in my save and a lot of the HoYD candidates don't have birthplaces in their biogs. But you can definitely do better than Butt!

Judging by the golden generation he just delivered, I think Butt is doing fine for smp20 :D

1 hour ago, oneronaldo said:

Judging by the golden generation he just delivered, I think Butt is doing fine for smp20 :D

Well, I've managed Man Utd more than any other team in FM18 (and FM17 come to that) and Butt sucks. He can have a good intake... anyone can have a good intake... but you have to got with the odds!

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Well, I've managed Man Utd more than any other team in FM18 (and FM17 come to that) and Butt sucks. He can have a good intake... anyone can have a good intake... but you have to got with the odds!

I agree, he does suck. But I did want a locally born HOYD and I couldn't bring myself to sack Butt. 

5 minutes ago, wynter said:

Jackson born in Liverpool, they've implanted a spy! :mad:

Good spot, almost let one through the filters. He will be released!

The one scouser with the sense to be interested in a proper club and you want to make a pariah of him?!

As for Butt, he's a Professional, with good reputation, a sensible preferred formation and a random PA which mean's he could grow a lot. He's a pretty excellent HOYD, with the potential to be better. Only downside is below par Determination.
Only reason I'd replace him is if a Professional with much higher Determination was available, or a model pro/citizen, but it's not anything I'd concern myself over.

72e78180a355d320238bffb21e87ed6c.png

Ultimately a disappointing season, especially as on our watch Liverpool won the league for the first time in 30 years. We could have rescued the season by winning the Champions League, but instead we were pummeled 4-1 by a hard-working Valencia side. We started march using a wide 4-2-3-1 but switched to a narrow version after not scoring against Everton or City. We've played some nice football (particularly in the CL - 8-3 Leipzig, 3-0 Real, 2-0 Bayern) but drawn a few too many yet again. In terms of younger players breaking into the side it has been a good year for Angel Gomes, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Axel Tuanzebe who have all featured regularly as starters. Phil Foden will be back for next season after being out for 7 months with damaged cruciates.

Champions League Final

59af86b887910bae8bebae2763ce989a.png

March-June Results

17006ee7a8744fcfa0e9114eabfa58ec.png

League Table

37331cc3ad646fffe3018c8c1ff58fd1.png

Player Stats

549a610403f0247390012676449785f5.png

Tactics

efa0a2c8e05b42c45905151fec27236b.png

5 hours ago, wynter said:

Jackson born in Liverpool, they've implanted a spy! :mad:

And ´Diamond´Scott Hamilton in London. :( Plus a couple of Welshmen...

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

The one scouser with the sense to be interested in a proper club and you want to make a pariah of him?!

As for Butt, he's a Professional, with good reputation, a sensible preferred formation and a random PA which mean's he could grow a lot. He's a pretty excellent HOYD, with the potential to be better. Only downside is below par Determination.
Only reason I'd replace him is if a Professional with much higher Determination was available, or a model pro/citizen, but it's not anything I'd concern myself over.

Ohh didn't know that he has random PA, hopefully its high. I'm sticking with him for now! I'm also not going to get rid of anyone from the intakes based on where they are born. For all we know they could have a story like Angel Gomes and have been with the club since age 6 :brock:

2 hours ago, smp20 said:

Ohh didn't know that he has random PA, hopefully its high. I'm sticking with him for now! I'm also not going to get rid of anyone from the intakes based on where they are born. For all we know they could have a story like Angel Gomes and have been with the club since age 6 :brock:

Hell, Becks himself is a London boy, so he should understand that all too well.

16 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Hell, Becks himself is a London boy, so he should understand that all too well.

Good point, case closed :D

Season 3 - The Fall Of Brexit

492ba90391312b74c424beaa4c9d7d50.png

Brexit has happened, a soft one. But we had our own version of Brexit, getting rid of all our foreign staff and even selling Irishman Robbie Brady for £28m. From now on only UK nationality players and staff are allowed.

ce00a620d3a1c7e5f0f3db9002d5417a.png

I forgot to mention that this happened at the end of last season :lol:. Ancelotti is now their manager.

Early Season Results

ce0779c75188a5cb062003560fb10262.png

84b2536ea635162a73581e96b22d2675.png

What a start to the new season! 8-0 vs Spurs...insanity. We had 2 goals disallowed and hit the woodwork 5 times so it could easily have been double figures.

Squad

2b592675a90e774fd65e2427c34f4a46.png

Evans is injured and dropped to the U23s, while Laird is brought into the first team in place of Danny Simpson. We're going for pace at the back and our tactic will show why:

Tactic

5a48fc5a3507b540f68e1d7ecee4ccc1.png

We're a high pressing machine, with a pacey back line needed to push up. I hope we can continue our fine form, some of the football has been outstanding.

2 hours ago, smp20 said:

I hope we can continue our fine form, some of the football has been outstanding.

Impressive. Looks like you're getting some great performances out of the youngsters, too - Axel and CBJ, in particular.

Archived