Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

For my new game I've decided to holiday through to the 22nd century (:D) to see how different the football landscape is, and maybe take a fallen giant back to former glory. Only in 2021 though, so it'll be a fair few days yet before I'm in a position to start. One thing of interest though is already the number of clubs who are in administration. Before the 2021/22 season has event started 3 clubs (Hull, Blackburn and Wigan) have had 10 points deducted. Wigan are in League One, and have gone bankrupt for the 5th time in 8 years!!

And interesting teams making it into the football league include Clitheroe, and Ashford Town (Middlesex), who have won their league 3 seasons in a row to make it to League Two. Found out why: a Hong Kong tycoon!

Other clubs to get a Tycoon include Arsenal (that's not fair! Turkish. Explains why they've spent £364m in 5 seasons), and Torquay (Canadian, 2 seasons ago, promoted to League One, just paid £1.7m for an England U21 international). As far as I can see, aside from the pre-planned changes Man City are the only ones who have a new stadium, and very few clubs have expanded (noticeable one being Sheff Wed expanding to 45000 just before being relegated back to League 1).

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For my new game I've decided to holiday through to the 22nd century (:D) to see how different the football landscape is, and maybe take a fallen giant back to former glory. Only in 2021 though, so it'll be a fair few days yet before I'm in a position to start. One thing of interest though is already the number of clubs who are in administration. Before the 2021/22 season has event started 3 clubs (Hull, Blackburn and Wigan) have had 10 points deducted. Wigan are in League One, and have gone bankrupt for the 5th time in 8 years!!

And interesting teams making it into the football league include Clitheroe, and Ashford Town (Middlesex), who have won their league 3 seasons in a row to make it to League Two. Found out why: a Hong Kong tycoon!

Other clubs to get a Tycoon include Arsenal (that's not fair! Turkish. Explains why they've spent £364m in 5 seasons), and Torquay (Canadian, 2 seasons ago, promoted to League One, just paid £1.7m for an England U21 international). As far as I can see, aside from the pre-planned changes Man City are the only ones who have a new stadium, and very few clubs have expanded (noticeable one being Sheff Wed expanding to 45000 just before being relegated back to League 1).

Nice idea. I've always fancied doing that. :thup:

My 'Project 22nd Century' game has simulated up to 2038. Not actually huge amount of change at the top level, still the same clubs dominating, although Southampton have moved into that top realm. Gateshead are the only non league team to have made it into the Prem but they're hanging around. The other smallest team to make it into the Prem is Macclesfield, who only lasted one season. But they are still playing at Moss Rose. I was wondering why their average attendance dropped from 6000 to 2599 for their Premier League season. Then I realised it's not all seater and terraces cannot be used. So in the Premiership and they could only have 2599 in their stadium! ouch!

Also seeing a few sudden drops! Leamington had clawed their away up from the Ryman Regionals to League 1, then promptly self destructed. In successive seasons they came last in League One (5 points, 14 goals, 136 against, -122 goal difference), last in League 2 (21 points, 30 goals, 122 against, -92 goal difference) and then last in the BSP. Sad times.

How are Norwich doing?

Yo-yo'd between League 1 and Championship until 2023, then a 15yr run in the Championship, before winning the league, and have now been a Prem club for 5 seasons, steady mid table cannon fodder. Won the FA Cup in 2041, runner up in 2031. Ex-managers include Chris Sutton (twice!), Phil Neville, and Alan Pardew. They just sold a 23yr old English defender Ben Blake to Man City for £36.5m.

Well, I'm not doing a proper career thread or anything like that. It's just for fun but I can just tell you about it in this thread instead.

After you said that you'd never seen me managing a top flight side, I thought I would have a bit of a fun save managing Liverpool. I fancied taking over from Rafa.

I created my new alter-ego manager, Roy Crouchson, a former Non-League player (for St. Albans City ;)) turned manager.

Roy-Hodgson-002.jpg

First season, I kept the first-team squad much as it was, except for signing Yoann Gourcuff as my Xabi Alonso replacement to be my midfield playmaker. I also brought Danny Murphy back to Anfield as a squad player. :D Played a 4-4-1-1 formation similar to that I've been using with the Saints in my main save. My best team was basically:

Reina

Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio

Maxi, Mascherano, Gourcuff, Riera

Gerrard

Torres

We exited early from the League Cup but come April we were still battling on three fronts. We lost an FA Cup Semi-final to Arsenal. Then, at the beginning of May, Everton ended our hopes of winning the title by beating us 2-0 at Goodison. However, I managed to win Liverpool a sixth European Cup, beating AC Milan, Chelsea, Inter and Bayern in the knock-out rounds to claim the trophy. An FM first for me.

So runners-up in the League, FA Cup semi-finalists and, best of all, European Champions in the my first season in charge. The biggest pain I have found managing Liverpool is that the squad doesn't have enough depth. Also Fernando Torres seems to get injured every other week. So my priority in terms of signings was to increase the depth after season 1.

You wondered about the sort of players I would sign? Well, during the summer I was given good money to spend and I decided that my buying policy would be to prioritise young British talent. I sold Albert Riera and Ryan Babel for a fair wedge. Then, I went on to spend a lot of money signing the following: Aaron Lennon, Tom Huddlestone, Danny Wilson, Jordan Spence, Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere and Jonjo Shelvey. Milan Jovanovic came in on a free (not my signing) and I also signed Tomas Rosicky as he was going cheap.

I've got a little bored with it now so think I will probably leave it for a bit and return to my proper save. I'd quite like to win Liverpool their first league title for 20 odd years though but I don't know if I have improved the quality enough to challenge.

That's a great first season especially the European Cup being such a tough draw. Good British signings as well especially Huddlestone I really like him in FM and Bale is wicked. It is great fun to just play the odd season now and then with certain teams. I signed Torres for Sunderland once and found that he picked up the odd knock here and there but nothing too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

My studies may keep me away from FM11 for a while so I may delay buying it (I won't bother saying I'm not going to buy it as I generally do in the end :p).

I was thinking of starting a journeyman careerconsisting entirely of leagues I've never played a full season on before (obviously, additional .xml files will make this easier).

If i'm honest C, I was disappointed with FM09 and had reservations about whether or not to buy FM10. Initially I was happy that I did buy FM10 and had a couple of great saves on it but after installing patch 3 it really ruined the game for me. I tried going back to FM08 (which is my favourite installment of the game) but couldn't seem to get back in to it. So, I re-installed FM10 with patch 2 and am happy with the game now.

As for FM11, i'm not too sure if i'll buy it. Saying that though, since SI announced the new dynamic league rep feature, this could sway my decision especially as I like to play in the lower leagues. I'd like to try another Asian save and see how a league rep increase would effect Asian football. If it does sway my decision, i'll probably wait until the 1st/2nd patch is out as it's well documented that new FM releases aren't usually ready to play (IMO) until after a couple of patches.

How about yourself?

Well, I'm not feeling too excited to be honest. None of the features have really captured my imagination, apart from maybe the DLR.

I'm also enjoying FM10 so much and I feel a bit like I can't be bothered to start again on a new version. The new FMs always seem to come around too quick and I'm quite a slow player so I feel like I haven't done everything I want to do on this version yet!

I still have a fair bit to do on my FM10 saves, so I definitely won't be starting a long-term save on FM11 for some time. I'm still an FM addict though so I'm sure that I'll still be getting the new version! :rolleyes: When I do come to start an FM11 save, I will have to make use of the DLR feature really, as it's the only thing that is making me approach the feeling of excitement. Maybe I'll play in India or Wales and try to build up the reputation of those leagues. The other save I quite fancy is a Scandinavian or Nordic journeyman game where perhaps I can increase the reputation of some of those countries by improving how their clubs fare in European competitions. There will be the usual Saints save too just so I can play with the team that I research but I think it will be a short-term save this time around rather than another slog up the leagues as per my FM10 save.

The thing is, I'm worried FM is sort of heading in a direction that I don't particularly want it to head in. I'm not at all keen on the 3D, much preferring to use my imagination with 2D classic instead, and so I'm not the least bit bothered about new animations and stadiums and so on. And stuff like the social networking features are not interesting to me either (although the YouTube videos bit sounds like it might be good!) I'm also quite disappointed that there aren't any further tactical innovations in the new version, which is a big part of the game for me, and would be a major attraction to me in terms of getting into a new version. To be honest, I didn't think a lot to the announcements about the training and the set-pieces features, as they didn't sound like anything in-depth and interesting to me. Finally, there isn't much to suggest that anything has been done on the team talks side of things, which is another disappointment.

So, I guess I'm struggling to get my enthusiasm up for a new version, especially seeing as I think FM10 is a beautiful version of the game. What would make me really want to get into a new game is if they just focused in-depth on adding one or two major features, especially really developing the tactics creator and adding in much more detail. That kind of thing would make me rush to get the game and start a new save.

I realise all of this sounds a bit negative and I don't mean it to sound like that! Perhaps the series is just heading away from what I personally would like it to be. I felt a bit like that since FM09 came out really but FM10 renewed my faith because I felt it was such a good game.

Just my opinion chaps. I know some people will be thrilled with some of the new features. :thup:

I will be trying to get fm11 asap. Due to DLR I will attempt to take a lower league club from a small nation to the Champions League using only youth products. Anyone know any small European nations which have a decent number of divisions? I was thinking Northern Ireland as that has 3 divisions but still undecided.

Also I got a new computer a few days ago which I have been testing on my long term fm10 saves and it runs soooooo much faster :D can only be good news for my fm11 saves.

Crouchy, still love those dots eh? :p

Will definitely get FM11. Probably won't immediately start a career game or my challenge though, I have a lot of coursework and I already stopped my last FM10 career game. In FM11 I want to start a 100+ league save, my biggest so far, with some XML files, and probably holiday 5-10 years before officially starting my career. :)

I will be trying to get fm11 asap. Due to DLR I will attempt to take a lower league club from a small nation to the Champions League using only youth products. Anyone know any small European nations which have a decent number of divisions? I was thinking Northern Ireland as that has 3 divisions but still undecided.

Northern Ireland would probably be good. Sweden is another one with a fair few tiers that I think could be fun for this kind of save.

I think if/when I start an FM11 save, I'll probably end up doing something similar (i.e. a small club to big club style game).

Also I got a new computer a few days ago which I have been testing on my long term fm10 saves and it runs soooooo much faster :D can only be good news for my fm11 saves.

I'm jealous. :p

Crouchy, still love those dots eh? :p

Yes, afraid so. :p

It's just the imagination factor of using 2D Classic. I'm afraid I've reached the conclusion that 3D is never going to be as good as my imagination (what chance does it have?) and so it just turns me off entirely. The 2D classic, however, gives me just enough detail and I can fill in the rest. I also much prefer the top down view, as I find it better for judging my tactics and looking at patterns of play and player positions. It also means that I can always see the player numbers and thus easily identify who is who, which I find irritating on 3D because I can't get used to not always being able to see the numbers etc.

Will definitely get FM11. Probably won't immediately start a career game or my challenge though, I have a lot of coursework and I already stopped my last FM10 career game. In FM11 I want to start a 100+ league save, my biggest so far, with some XML files, and probably holiday 5-10 years before officially starting my career. :)

What is it with you guys and your mega PCs. I'm very jealous. Think of us poor chaps with our prehistoric laptops that chug along with just one country loaded. ;)

So what does everyone on the FM Career Updates forum make of the FM11 announcements? Thoughts on the features? Anyone excited/not bothered/going to buy it/not going to buy it etc.?

What are your planned careers for FM11 if you are getting it?

I am goijg to have 3 main saves one is starting welsh league to build a team to win champs league and make wales a better nation and possibly win world cup with the DLR in, 2nd save will be a journeyman career around the world. And 3rd will proba have man utd/cardiff save going. What bout you m8

I am goijg to have 3 main saves one is starting welsh league to build a team to win champs league and make wales a better nation and possibly win world cup with the DLR in, 2nd save will be a journeyman career around the world. And 3rd will proba have man utd/cardiff save going. What bout you m8

When I do come to start an FM11 save, I will have to make use of the DLR feature really, as it's the only thing that is making me approach the feeling of excitement. I'll might try India or Wales and aim to build up the reputation of those leagues. The other save I quite fancy is a Scandinavian or Nordic journeyman game where perhaps I can increase the reputation of some of those countries by improving how their clubs fare in European competitions. I will definitely have a quick Saints save to test my data.

Likewise for me DLR is the only main pull of FM11. One thing which makes me not super keen to get the new game as soon as possible is that I'm really enjoying my career game this season and I don't want to bring it to an end just yet. This is different to the past few releases when I'd been playing small to big club challenges on CSE. If the challenge was complete, then I was ready to move onto the next game. This year, there's no challenge, just a career and it's not over yet... ;)

I'll buy FM11 as soon as it comes out.

Gonna try and have one save all through the year.

Probably going to start with 1860 Munich or SpVgg Greuther Furth. I have thread names already planned ;)

Outside bets are Sporting Lisbon and IFK Norrkoping.

Continental Dominance version 2 will probably be my title thread. I will undertake the same challenge as I did on FM10 and try to win every continents version of the champions league. Will have a Sunderland career and Crewe as usual, I will have a few other games in Spain but only career threads about the continents game and maybe a Sunderland one.

Continental Dominance version 2 will probably be my title thread. I will undertake the same challenge as I did on FM10 and try to win every continents version of the champions league. Will have a Sunderland career and Crewe as usual, I will have a few other games in Spain but only career threads about the continents game and maybe a Sunderland one.

AB, your location is very :cool:

My favourite comedy of all time, probably. :D

Forgot to add: I will make sure my new career game is set up so I can have a crack at AcidBurn's challenge at the same time, thus fufilling my FMCU and CSE fixes in one shot!

AB, your location is very :cool:

My favourite comedy of all time, probably. :D

Been watching them loads lately, even thought of having a triple fried egg sandwich with chilli sauce and chutney will have to try it at the weekend.

Good to see a few people interested in taking up the challenge, having quite relaxed rules means that lots of journey man games will qualify to do the challenge. I would do more but they use the attribute masking which I hate.

Been watching them loads lately, even thought of having a triple fried egg sandwich with chilli sauce and chutney will have to try it at the weekend.

Smoke me a kipper...:D :D

Probably one of my favourite shows...ever!

Awesome. Always wanted to try one of those! :D

What an awesome comedy though. Series 1 & series 2 are probably my favourites. Series 3, 4, 5, 6 all solid and enjoyable.

But series 7 & 8 upset me greatly. :mad:

Awesome. Always wanted to try one of those! :D

What an awesome comedy though. Series 1 & series 2 are probably my favourites. Series 3, 4, 5, 6 all solid and enjoyable.

But series 7 & 8 upset me greatly. :mad:

I think the first 6 seasons are pure genius then 7 and 8 are pretty poor and the new ones well they were so bad I only watched the first episode.

Archived