FM09 - Tactics Getting Started

Interesting.

I was wondering why my assistant keeps saying the gap between my defence and midfield is too big. This myst be down to my mentality settings.

As I play with a DMC I was wondering how this can be. I pushed my back 4 up a few clicks and still get this message.

So how can I address this??

I always have my back 4 mentality set to defensive as I like my back 4 to play in a line and don't push my fullbacks forward much at all.

I then have a DMC sitting. Also on low defensive mentality because I just want him to sit in front of the back 4.

I then want both my MC's to get forward and support the lone striler and AML & R

The thinking behind the formation is I have 5 attacking players and 5 defensive ones.

SSSooooooooo, how do I address this??? Do I up the mentality settings on my back 5 or lower a bit on my front 5 or a bit of both????

All advice appreciated.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, right, what you want then is keep width normal ; this will ensure that the winger NOT involved with the play, will drift in to the middle of the park. Soon as the play switches, he'll dash out and the player who was, but is no longer in the play will drift in - have been watching Guti and Robben do this for the last fifteen minutes. Very pleasing to watch the squad act as a unit...

Interesting.

I was wondering why my assistant keeps saying the gap between my defence and midfield is too big. This myst be down to my mentality settings.

As I play with a DMC I was wondering how this can be. I pushed my back 4 up a few clicks and still get this message.

I always have my back 4 mentality set to defensive as I like my back 4 to play in a line and don't push my fullbacks forward much at all.

I then have a DMC sitting. Also on low defensive mentality because I just want him to sit in front of the back 4.

I then want both my MC's to get forward and support the lone striler and AML & R

The thinking behind the formation is I have 5 attacking players and 5 defensive ones.

SSSooooooooo, how do I address this??? Do I up the mentality settings on my back 5 or lower a bit on my front 5 or a bit of both????

All advice appreciated.

I beat this by having my midfielders only one notch ahead of my defenders. So if you have DC's at 8, have MC's at 9. See if that does anything.

To have your midfielders bomb forward, have them with an farrow; though keep in mind you will get caught short occasionally.

(each ridge on the slider is a "notch")

Am I right to think that NOT using arrows at all is a better option on FM09? I just restarted a new save with Arsenal. In my last save I played a straight 442 with farrows on my wingers and, depending on opposition, also on my full backs. This appeard to make them really, really tired even before HT! Since then I've changed to a 4-2-3-1 tactic, using 2 neutral MC's and 3 attacking midfielders. I've removed all the arrows (even on my defensive minded mid and my CB's who used to have barrows) and the problem seems to be much less of a problem really. To me it seems the players can't cope with all the forward running, and I removed my defensive arrows as I want Touré/Gallas to act like they do IRL, which is they do get forward now and then. My DMC (or actuall MC) should be more box-to-box, so I figured I'd let him choose when to go forward and when not to...am I right to remove the barrow then? I have him set a notch above defensive in mentality. Of course my hope is he will cover for any CB that might move up the field. My problem with the gap is gone though, thanks to your good explanation of that problem. :)

So does AMR/L really need arrows though, since they are already high up the pitch as their starting position? But when playing a 4-4-2 or maybe a 4-4-1-1, will my wingers actually go forward much if they don't have arrows and actually support the lone striker? Or will they really need arrows when playing further down the pitch? I've seen the team score plenty of goals this time around and I just hope it will hold up when the season begins.

there is definetely an issue with conditioning and forward runs. players are getting sapped of conditioning far too quickly. its been highlitghted in the bugs forum.

I beat this by having my midfielders only one notch ahead of my defenders. So if you have DC's at 8, have MC's at 9. See if that does anything.

To have your midfielders bomb forward, have them with an farrow; though keep in mind you will get caught short occasionally.

(each ridge on the slider is a "notch")

Will have to have a play with it when I get home from work.

I can't let them have a farrow as they'll get tired too quickly if I do that.

Am I right to think that NOT using arrows at all is a better option on FM09? I just restarted a new save with Arsenal. In my last save I played a straight 442 with farrows on my wingers and, depending on opposition, also on my full backs. This appeard to make them really, really tired even before HT! Since then I've changed to a 4-2-3-1 tactic, using 2 neutral MC's and 3 attacking midfielders. I've removed all the arrows (even on my defensive minded mid and my CB's who used to have barrows) and the problem seems to be much less of a problem really. To me it seems the players can't cope with all the forward running, and I removed my defensive arrows as I want Touré/Gallas to act like they do IRL, which is they do get forward now and then. My DMC (or actuall MC) should be more box-to-box, so I figured I'd let him choose when to go forward and when not to...am I right to remove the barrow then? I have him set a notch above defensive in mentality. Of course my hope is he will cover for any CB that might move up the field. My problem with the gap is gone though, thanks to your good explanation of that problem. :)

So does AMR/L really need arrows though, since they are already high up the pitch as their starting position? But when playing a 4-4-2 or maybe a 4-4-1-1, will my wingers actually go forward much if they don't have arrows and actually support the lone striker? Or will they really need arrows when playing further down the pitch? I've seen the team score plenty of goals this time around and I just hope it will hold up when the season begins.

They aren't arrows. :D

They're forward runs. So, you tell me - for your tactic do you want your wingers making forward runs (FWR)? Personally, I always do, so they have forward runs. Which shows an arrow on the tactics board.

No "arrows" at all, anywhere, means everyone on forward runs mixed. I would strongly advise against that. If nothing else, I would want at least one MC with FWR rarely, and more than likely both of my centre backs. Then, depending on how attacking I was, I might want FWR often on the wingers and possibly the fullbacks.

Again. They're not arrows. They're forward runs. If you're thinking of them as arrows, you're getting the wrong end of the stick. They don't work AT ALL like they used to.

Will have to have a play with it when I get home from work.

I can't let them have a farrow as they'll get tired too quickly if I do that.

Not necessarily. Depends on the position in question and what you're hoping to achieve. It's not like FM08 where the arrow meant "always run forward". This time it means "forward runs often". So, if you are playing with a more defensive mentality, he'll run forward less. That may be one way to keep him from constantly bombing forward and getting tired out.

But, again. These things aren't arrows, they're forward runs. If you would have given him FWR often in '08, chances are you'll want to do so again.

millie the forward runs are draining players condition all too steeply. you are right of course they are not the same arrows as 08, but the runs are killing conditioning at the moment, im sure it will be fixed though, 90 minutes forward runs often is just not possible, i think that is what the lads are saying.

They're forward runs. So, you tell me - for your tactic do you want your wingers making forward runs (FWR)? Personally, I always do, so they have forward runs. Which shows an arrow on the tactics board.

No "arrows" at all, anywhere, means everyone on forward runs mixed. I would strongly advise against that. If nothing else, I would want at least one MC with FWR rarely, and more than likely both of my centre backs. Then, depending on how attacking I was, I might want FWR often on the wingers and possibly the fullbacks.

Again. They're not arrows. They're forward runs. If you're thinking of them as arrows, you're getting the wrong end of the stick. They don't work AT ALL like they used to.

Not necessarily. Depends on the position in question and what you're hoping to achieve. It's not like FM08 where the arrow meant "always run forward". This time it means "forward runs often". So, if you are playing with a more defensive mentality, he'll run forward less. That may be one way to keep him from constantly bombing forward and getting tired out.

But, again. These things aren't arrows, they're forward runs. If you would have given him FWR often in '08, chances are you'll want to do so again.

Cheers for the reply. I appreciate what the farrows (which I'll call them for arguments sake) do both in 08 and the new version.

What I want both my MC's to do is to get forward whenever possible. Almost like having 2 AMC's

As my back 4 stay back most of the time and I have the insurance policy of a DMC I don't want my 2 MC's having much defensive responsibility so I should have them set on attacking mentality?????

millie the forward runs are draining players condition all too steeply. you are right of course they are not the same arrows as 08, but the runs are killing conditioning at the moment, im sure it will be fixed though, 90 minutes forward runs often is just not possible, i think that is what the lads are saying.

I've found closing down is actually having more of an effect, so you could try lowering that.

I appreciate where you're coming from, though.

Interesting.

All advice appreciated.

i'm having my team on global mentality, no problem at all. they still sit back. i play my CB's with FR mixed and they're still sitting back comfortably. in 442 the only players i have on individual mentality are STd and CMd. even GK is on team :)

'The thinking behind the formation is I have 5 attacking players and 5 defensive ones' try that with creative freedom not mentality.

i'm having my team on global mentality, no problem at all. they still sit back. i play my CB's with FR mixed and they're still sitting back comfortably. in 442 the only players i have on individual mentality are STd and CMd. even GK is on team :)

'The thinking behind the formation is I have 5 attacking players and 5 defensive ones' try that with creative freedom not mentality.

Might give that a go too.

Although I've become very wary of creative freedom since the long shots and loads of chances with no goals issues with FM08.

Well yeah I get they aren't "the" arrows we are used to, but they are still a arrow on the screen. :D I understand what they do, so that's nothing I have a problem with. ;) The thing is that giving my defensive minded midfielder rarely forward runs seem to just make him sit back there all the time. I want him to play sort of like Flamini did last season, go forward when needed but overall protect my defence. Giving him the barrow, he seems to not want to join in on the attack at anytime except on set pieces.

I would like the FWR on my wingers and my full back, especially at home against weaker teams. But it's draining them right now and as I have my wingers high up the pitch, I want them to try and cut in field, leaving space for the full backs whenever they do come forward. Playing Nasri on the left with "run with ball" and "free role" seems to take him inside some more and I like to keep it that way...but I'm unsure if it will work with a FWR on him in a starting position so high up the field?

A question about what my assistant often says. When I play Walcott on the right I often get a message saying he is used to playing a more direct style of play. How does he mean? I'm thinking running at the defenders with direct passing, but that doesn't seem to change the assistants view on how I use him on the wing.

Reading through this thread I have managed to tighten my defence but still not playing that well. Using a 442 tweaked aorund what's been said on here re mentality and some individual instructions.

Though one bug bear i got is: "how can I up the ratio of possession?" I always tend to have the lowest % 40-60 /45-55.

That and shots on goal appear to be holding me back.

Any advice will be most gratefully recieved.

K:)

so, what's the use of it???

if you have that option (forward runs) in the player's instruction menu, why don't they eliminate the arrows for good?

why don't we use the tactics board for define the positions only????

Reading through this thread I have managed to tighten my defence but still not playing that well. Using a 442 tweaked aorund what's been said on here re mentality and some individual instructions.

Though one bug bear i got is: "how can I up the ratio of possession?" I always tend to have the lowest % 40-60 /45-55.

That and shots on goal appear to be holding me back.

Any advice will be most gratefully recieved.

K:)

Increasing mentality, increasing closing down, playing with a higher defensive line, winning more tackles should enable you to have more possession.

Also, look at the marking system you're using as this can effect possession to.

so, what's the use of it???

if you have that option (forward runs) in the player's instruction menu, why don't they eliminate the arrows for good?

why don't we use the tactics board for define the positions only????

Its good to have on tactics board if you score one and want to change it more defensive fore example. Its much more easier to change forward runs for fullbacks and wingers via the tactical board than doing it via players instructions menu.

But yes, they could have made it to a triangel(like in Fifa09 when you want to change your team to more attacking or defensive) or something instead of arrows.

Personally i would like to see certain instructions "sticky" on players. Like if i think that Christiano Ronaldo is a good dribbler, i should have the option to make him dribble often regardless if i move him to FC, AML or AMC. His personal instruction of "dribble often" should apply over my tactic...

Its good to have on tactics board if you score one and want to change it more defensive fore example. Its much more easier to change forward runs for fullbacks and wingers via the tactical board than doing it via players instructions menu.

But yes, they could have made it to a triangel(like in Fifa09 when you want to change your team to more attacking or defensive) or something instead of arrows.

Personally i would like to see certain instructions "sticky" on players. Like if i think that Christiano Ronaldo is a good dribbler, i should have the option to make him dribble often regardless if i move him to FC, AML or AMC. His personal instruction of "dribble often" should apply over my tactic...

there is a way to do this via tactical template, you can make as many positions for ronaldo as you like.

there is a way to do this via tactical template, you can make as many positions for ronaldo as you like.

Yeah, but if i move him to opposite wing, i have to change all those setting to fit him. My suggestion is that it automatically "overwrites" my tactical tamplate.

Yeah, but if i move him to opposite wing, i have to change all those setting to fit him. My suggestion is that it automatically "overwrites" my tactical tamplate.

no you dont, just use the drop down menu and click the template you made for ronaldo on that wing, you could set up a RW ronaldo, a LW ronaldo, ST ronaldo as many ronaldo's as you like. then use it in the game.

Well, it looks like "mentality gap" requires more work than I thought. I started with Liverpool 4-DM-2MC-AML/R-ST formation. First, I had everybody on individual mentality (combination of "rule of one" and "rule of two") and Ass Man said I had a gap between defense and midfield. Then I switched to 4-3MC-AMC-2ST, set all defenders and MCs on global 11 mentality, AMC on, 13 and ST 14 and 15, respecively. Now I have a gap between midfield and STs. I thought using DM in the first case or AMC in the second would have closed the gaps, but apparently it's not the case. Though, I prefer global mentality anyway, so it might be a good sign.

Width seems absolutely crucial. When I played 4-3-1-2 and set it wide, my MCR/MCL played more like MR/ML. I am yet to see how varying width would affect my defense as I played friendlies only. But so far width looks as a great tool to vary a style without varying formation.

For some reason, FBs don't really follow instruction to cross often from deep. Maybe it's a good sign and they just don't see ST in a good position, maybe not. FWR often on FBs seems to work fine, but when set to mixed they almost never come forward. Another thing I am still not sure about is why MCs seem to ignore each other yet pass ball diagonally back to FBs? Will see...

I dont understand the mentality gap. I did everything that rashidi said. Never a gap bigger then 4 blocks but still he says i have a to big gap. Can someone tell me what to do plz. I play 4-3-3

with spurs.

--x---x---x---x--

-----------------

--------x--------

-----x-----x-----

-----------------

--x-----------x--

-----------------

--------x--------

It's certainly a little more tricky this year to get a good tactic going I tried to convert the one i used from the previous game to no avail. However nice to see the return of an effective 442. first 3 games of the season have produced 8 gls and 1 conceded and had a 6-0 in pre season. this injury bug is getting old quick mind. Wouldn't mind having my sarrows back though.

I dont understand the mentality gap. I did everything that rashidi said. Never a gap bigger then 4 blocks but still he says i have a to big gap. Can someone tell me what to do plz. I play 4-3-3

with spurs.

--x---x---x---x--

-----------------

--------x--------

-----x-----x-----

-----------------

--x-----------x--

-----------------

--------x--------

Mentality gap? Tis early so I am just a tad confused; are you meaning the gap behind the midfielders or the strikers? I took rashidi1's advice on and set their mentalities no more than two notches apart but found I still had that gap. I moved the sliders to only one notch apart and it's cleared up my 'gap.'

I am however, like others, having difficulty scoring. It seems like I'm either up against a brick wall or slick defensive units. I usually churn out wins, but I'm not having any 3- or 4- goal wins, anymore.

Just had a look back on my game and my assistants comments during the game.

Paul Huntington. missing too many headers, Ok from the in game stats Headers 12 headers won 10, not alot there to be honest

Frazer Richardson. too many passes going astray, passes 19, completed 14, again hmmm

Shooting must improve, 8 shots on goal 6 on target.

Too big a gap between midfield and defence, watched the match again and found there was a space, but all the opposition did was pass sideways, backwards and got nowhere, Maybe I'll try again same team, better assistant stats for tactical knowledge and player abailty

Mentality gap? Tis early so I am just a tad confused; are you meaning the gap behind the midfielders or the strikers? I took rashidi1's advice on and set their mentalities no more than two notches apart but found I still had that gap. I moved the sliders to only one notch apart and it's cleared up my 'gap.'

I am however, like others, having difficulty scoring. It seems like I'm either up against a brick wall or slick defensive units. I usually churn out wins, but I'm not having any 3- or 4- goal wins, anymore.

I mean the gap between the defenders and the midfielders. Yeah it is very hard to make a tactic to dominate or at least sometimes win with 3:0 or 4:0.

Well, it looks like "mentality gap" requires more work than I thought. I started with Liverpool 4-DM-2MC-AML/R-ST formation. First, I had everybody on individual mentality (combination of "rule of one" and "rule of two") and Ass Man said I had a gap between defense and midfield. Then I switched to 4-3MC-AMC-2ST, set all defenders and MCs on global 11 mentality, AMC on, 13 and ST 14 and 15, respecively. Now I have a gap between midfield and STs. I thought using DM in the first case or AMC in the second would have closed the gaps, but apparently it's not the case. Though, I prefer global mentality anyway, so it might be a good sign.

Width seems absolutely crucial. When I played 4-3-1-2 and set it wide, my MCR/MCL played more like MR/ML. I am yet to see how varying width would affect my defense as I played friendlies only. But so far width looks as a great tool to vary a style without varying formation.

For some reason, FBs don't really follow instruction to cross often from deep. Maybe it's a good sign and they just don't see ST in a good position, maybe not. FWR often on FBs seems to work fine, but when set to mixed they almost never come forward. Another thing I am still not sure about is why MCs seem to ignore each other yet pass ball diagonally back to FBs? Will see...

The unfamous "gap" seems to be fixed once you set up a structured mentality framework. I am deploying a 4-4-2 with mentality range from 8 for CBs to 16 for the most offensive striker. And that has stopped my ass man pointing gaps in my tactic. I agree with forward runs on fullbacks: there seem to be no difference setting them to forward runs: mixed and forward runs:never.

my team dont seem to be able to play at fast temp, i was 2-0 down at home to birmingham, had used all my 3 subs and got another injury, so i was down to 10 men. slowed the tempo down and cole set up 2 goals and i got a 2-2 draw. while i had 11 men on pitch i was out played totaly..

not sure if that was luck or somthing.??

Kiwityke, if you want more movements you'd need to look at attributes to. Do you have a side that has the necessary attributes to make those kind of intelligent off the ball runs.Try putting more attacking players on free roles. You'll be surprised to see what your wingers do.

If your wingers are not getting crosses in, its usually because they are being closed down. One of the best ways of getting them free to cross is by making sure you do some triangular passing that releases them or you could also place them in the AML/AMR positions. However I prefer triangular passes with 442. To do this make sure the winger is set to FWR often, passes are direct and that players around him are playing TTB. You could even tell the fullback NOT to try any through balls and leave that to the MC.

Tried this and it seems to have alleviated the problem. The wingers now seem to be in much more space.

I also noticed that they were getting more space due to the oppo fullbacks being drawn away from them by the central midfielder, with the fullbacks having no through-balls. I think with a little more tweaking I might just be about there.

Cheers rashidi1

Well, I applied as much as I could remember from this thread in my next game, and was impressed with my 2 lines of four, midfield and defence working nicely together. I was away to Gillingham and came away with a 0-0 draw, but Gillingham had a LOT of possesion! I nead to read this thread again to see where I am going wrong, although an away draw isn't a bad result!

If you're lacking in possession it may be because your tempo is too fast - my understanding is that a slower tempo will mean that players will pass the ball between them until they see an opening. Mentality will dictate how ambitious they are at finding holes.

Summary: Mixed to short passing, tempo below normal... perhaps 7-9.

I'm still getting bum raped.

Strikers never get a chance and if they do, they dont finish.

Seems like as soon as I get the ball into the final third, either the final pass goes wayward, or backward, the strikers lose the the ball in a tackle, crosses, when I do manage to get them in, are cleared. Even with a striker on FWR, he never seems to move into the space, and any goals I do score come from long range efforts or free-kicks. It's extremely difficult to break down defences.

I'm using default 4-4-2 attacking with Attacking mentality, short passing, quick movement, using play maker and defensive line staying back a bit. Works really well for my AS Roma where I am Totti and Vucinic as strikers and Pizarro as the forward running midfielder and Moutinho as the more defensive one.

Do any of you practice tight marking? I do. My support players all have tight marking as one of their responsibilities. I don't have the time now to do a structured document and doubt if one will be available until at least the end of november because of work commitments.

Some useful info here, thanks guys.

It's helped me to 1 win and 1 draw in the season so far (the draw was with 9 men and the win was in the Carling Cup against Barnet with a striker getting a hattrick) after getting bum raped 6-1 by Man U reserves in pre-season.

I just need to adapt things a little more to reflect the players I've got at Watford.

Okay, I think I'm following this. This is how I've got it set out.

Attacking 4-4-2 with 2 MCs and 2 AMs (R & L).

Tempo - Just above normal, team passing - Direct.

Mentality of CBs - 8 and no runs with tight marking, FBs - 10 with forward runs often, CMs - 11 and tight marking, AMs - 14 with free role and STs at 16 with free role again.

Any tips whether I'm doing this right? I'm at work so I can't test it out, but what can I tweak/add?

UnlikelyStory,

That's pretty attacking. You could start with that...but if you found yourself overun on the flanks because your fullbacks are bombing up, you may want to change their FWR to mixed.

UnlikelyStory,

That's pretty attacking. You could start with that...but if you found yourself overun on the flanks because your fullbacks are bombing up, you may want to change their FWR to mixed.

I might drop down the mentality by 2 each to compensate. The tempo and passing style I feel is fine, but I might do short passing for the CMs and the DCs to tighten up a bit. I'll probably drop the FBs FWR to be honest.

What about the other stats? Like free role and closing down etc. I'm playing as Man United by the way.

GK - Van der Sar

(Mixed Passing)

DR - Neville

(Mentality 8, Free Forward Run, Mixed Passing)

CB - Ferdinand

(Mentality 6, No Forward Run, Tight Marking, Short Passing)

CB - Vidic

(Mentality 6, No Forward Run, Tight Marking, Short Passing)

DL - Evra

(Mentality 8, Free Forward Run, Mixed Passing)

MC – Scholes

(Mentality 9, Free Forward Run, Tight Marking, Mixed Passing)

MC – Diarra

(Mentality 9, Free Forward Run, Tight Marking, Mixed Passing)

AMR – Ronaldo

(Mentality 12, Forward Run, Free Role, Direct Passing)

AML - Nani

(Mentality 12, Forward Run, Free Role, Direct Passing)

ST – Rooney

(Mentality 14, Free Forward Run, Direct Passing)

ST – Berbatov

(Mentality 14, Free Forward Run, Direct Passing)

Okay, this is what I have so far with player instructions. Anything I need to change/add? Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, what should I put for team instructions for the other things like closing down and tackling? Or should that vary too?

Do any of you practice tight marking? I do. My support players all have tight marking as one of their responsibilities. I don't have the time now to do a structured document and doubt if one will be available until at least the end of november because of work commitments.

I have my CB's on tight marking, I was thinking of giving more players the duty of tight marking such as FB, DMC. But I wasn't sure weather it would be beneficial, if say for example I gave my wingers or AMC tight marking they wouldn't have the attributes to do it well enough surely?

I have my CB's on tight marking, I was thinking of giving more players the duty of tight marking such as FB, DMC. But I wasn't sure weather it would be beneficial, if say for example I gave my wingers or AMC tight marking they wouldn't have the attributes to do it well enough surely?

I only ever use tight marking with a CB. If I'm playing against a big striker who's good in the air and not too quick I use tight marking.

That's the only time I've ever used it.

Think I may have cracked it as far as mentality is concerned. Just problems with width, creative freedom and marking. I'm going to try to put a medium width and allow my Wingers to have creative freedom. I'll also put man marking on my CBs and maybe one of my MCs, with zonal for the rest of the players.

Also wondering about through balls, is it best for my MCs?

Archived