The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who can't be arsed to link. from the Chelsea website.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> At the end of a week when he has overseen the first new addition to his championship-winning squad and said goodbye to the first departure, José Mourinho has spoken about what the summer may hold for some of his other players.

Monday brought the free transfer arrival of Germany’s star player Michael Ballack. Friday was the day it was announced that loan-signing Maniche would leave. The Chelsea manager’s latest words centre mainly around the young end of the squad but he has also commented on more senior members.

Eidur Gudjohnsen, Chelsea’s longest-serving outfield player after John Terry, made his fewest appearances for five seasons in the campaign just gone.

“The position with Eidur is he is a great football player,†stated Mourinho. “He is a player that we want to keep but he is a player that we are open to speak with, like we have done during the past couple of weeks. We are open to speak with clubs if clubs show a real interest in him.â€

On another experienced player, Hernán Crespo, who has long lived with speculation that he may return to play in Italy, Mourinho said: “He hasn’t changed one single word about his desire to move and we are still waiting for clubs with offers.

“At this moment, there has been nobody and if nobody comes with an offer which Chelsea is happy with and accepts, he has to stay with us.â€

There were also further words on the William Gallas situation, the club’s line that the player is expected to honour the year left on his contract upheld. It goes against past Mourinho statements that dissatisfied players can go.

“I am changing my philosophy,†he explained. “I like new experiences and I am looking forward to a new experience of working with players who are unhappy. It will be quite fun,†he added, allowing himself a little smile.

“My job is to fight for Chelsea’s success. I will choose for every game the players that I believe are the best for the interests of the squad. If you are happy and you play well, you play. If you are not happy, you don’t play and if you don’t play, you are not happy.

“Can you be one complete season unhappy and not playing? It is a challenge for the unhappy player, not me.â€

The new policy will not extend to younger players who lack of first team action. While he is keen to emphasis that no-one is to be forced out, Mourinho believes this summer is the time to take stock on some developing careers.

“They want more for themselves and the situation is not easy for them at Chelsea. For instance Glen Johnson is a great boy but he has Paulo Ferreira in front of him for a place, and he has Gérémi with a lot of experience.

“Robert Huth is the same thing. He is a player that is present in the World Cup but you look at him in Chelsea and he has Carvalho, Gallas and Terry in front.

“You have the Carlton Cole situation and you have the Lenny Pidgeley situation. In two years Pidgeley has played 100 minutes in the Premiership. How can a goalkeeper survive with 21 years of age and not playing football? This is the kind of player we have to think about getting a solution for that is good for the player and the club.

“Because of their age and because there are not so many opportunities for them at Chelsea, we can look for a different step in their careers. We don’t want to push them and I am not saying I don’t like them or I don’t trust them.

“Carlton Cole is one of the players we are open to negotiate. I don’t want to push him away from Chelsea but with a player like Drogba, and with another striker that we will buy for sure, his opportunities are not very good here.

“He is an age where he needs to play football and we will try to find a good solution for him, either on loan or selling. We are waiting for clubs. We are waiting for possibilities to analyse the best for him and the best for Chelsea.â€

Mourinho used a newsworthy name to counter any claim that young players at Chelsea find first team action harder to come by than at other top clubs.

“If Theo Walcott was at Chelsea, he would have played more than at Arsenal. At Arsenal he played zero minutes. At Chelsea he would have played against Blackburn and Newcastle, like I did with Diarra. That is for sure.â€

The Chelsea boss completed his summary of current transfer strategy by explaining that the targeting of established figures like Ballack and Shevchenko represents an evolution rather than a radical rethink of policy.

“I always say you shouldn’t build a team around two or three stars but when you have already a team that is full of stars because they are consecutive champions, then if two or three stars come, the team is not to be built around them.

“They come in the middle of players with the same status. For example, if Ballack came to Chelsea in 2004, he would be along with the Portuguese players and Makelele, the only champion. He comes two years later and all the other players are what he is.

“At this moment we are ready to receive these type of players. We believe the improvement of our team is possible in two ways — young players of high level and two or three players of high quality and experience — finished products.

“That is why Ballack is our player and why we try for another one but we are also working for more Diarras.â€

by Paul Mason </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say he's saying the opposite of what shanyi thinks. That players like Walcott would get game time but perhaps not as much as they would like. And he's not going to stand in their way if they want to move on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“If Theo Walcott was at Chelsea, he would have played more than at Arsenal. At Arsenal he played zero minutes. At Chelsea he would have played against Blackburn and Newcastle, like I did with Diarra. That is for sure.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So he would have played an injured player? Jose should get his facts right first.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

AC Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko will confirm or deny his intention to move to Stamford Bridge on Thursday afternoon.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any time really, nobody knows when.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

AC Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko will confirm or deny his intention to move to Stamford Bridge on Thursday afternoon.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any time really, nobody knows when. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Radio said it has been put off until tomorrow due to him having loads of injury treatment and not being able to get in and see the boss.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Latter. We're trying to mug Citeh over again by demanding Sturridge and Richards for SWP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mug Citeh?

We mugged you mate! icon_biggrin.gif

Latter. We're trying to mug Citeh over again by demanding Sturridge and Richards for SWP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mugged us? icon_biggrin.gif

Juni, where will Kalou fit in? I've never seen him play before and don't know much about him.

Sheva should sign this week. And I still think we need another Centre half or two, with Billy almost certainly leaving (Ballack has taken his squad number) and Huth going too. Oh and Ricky C being inconsistant.

Juni do u think Kalou will go back to psv on loan so he can become a EU national next year or will he stay?

And with all this comotion about Huth leaving + the possibility of Gallas going as well it means 2 new DC are needed...likely targets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Is Cudicini leaving then? With the Hilario done I'm not sure where this leaves him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We released Pidgeley, I think Wisey may nab him for Swindon.

They will get through if they're good enough but a goalkeeper is going to have to be pretty damn fine to dislodge Carlo or Cech.

He'll probably spend his career at Championship or League One level I imagine, and maybe claim a late call-up as a reserve fourth keeper at the 2010 World Cup. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by beffrey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Is Cudicini leaving then? With the Hilario done I'm not sure where this leaves him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We released Pidgeley, I think Wisey may nab him for Swindon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hilario going to be 3rd choich TBH

hope the deal for mikel pays off in the long run icon_frown.gif

Ballack would be ***** because we have Lampard who does what Ballack does but about a million times better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can't be arsed looking to see if anyone has metioned this, but look what I found when I was skimming page one icon_biggrin.gif

My opinion about Kalou (Im Dutch, though not a Feyenoord fan).

He can play anywhere upfront. Had he gotten a Dutch passport, he would play just like Robben, but then on the right. He is a player that can beat a man, just like Robben, very exciting to watch. He plays 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 without problems. He is more a second striker than a main one though.

He is only twenty and still has a lot of potential. He isnt good enough for the first eleven, but he is too good to loan out imo, he would be first in line for a substition imo. I believe he should play alot and will do a good job. May need some time to adept, but if Mourinho gives him the confidence, he'll be amazing, trust me. Its a very good signing.

• Administrators

Cech/Cudicini/Hilario

Ferreira/Geremi/Johnson

Terry/Huth/Mancienne

Gallas/Carvalho

Del Horno/Bridge/Gallas/Elmer

Makelele/Essien/Diarra

Ballack/Essien/Obi

Lampard/Gudjohnsen/Smith

Robben/Duff/Obi

Cole/Kalou/SWP

Shevchenko/Drogba/Crespo

Hi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Smith </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smith?

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jimmy iirc

Cech/Cudicini/Hilario

Ferreira/Geremi/Johnson

Terry/Huth/Mancienne

Gallas/Carvalho

Del Horno/Bridge/Gallas/Elmer

Makelele/Essien/Diarra

Ballack/Essien/Obi

Lampard/Gudjohnsen/Smith

Robben/Duff/Obi

Cole/Kalou/SWP

Shevchenko/Drogba/Crespo

Hi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's not even funny icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Smith </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smith?

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jimmy Smith icon14.gif Signed professional contract recently. I really do hope players like him and Mancienne get some Carling Cup games at least this season icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by beffrey:

We released Pidgeley, I think Wisey may nab him for Swindon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure you released him? Link please.

You sure you released him? Link please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pidgeley released

Btw, is there an Obi Mikel thread kknocking about?

I'd like to see OTF's reactions to that £16m deal. It's not that obscene amount that irks me, more the fact that United are making severe financial gains from it. icon_frown.gif

Archived