The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dean Furman has committed his future to Rangers despite Maccabi Tel Aviv claiming the midfielder was on the brink of a surprise move to Israel.

The 19-year-old made his senior debut against Dundee United last month and had been widely expected to make the breakthrough next season. Furman flew out to Israel yesterday for a holiday and to visit family in Tel Aviv and admitted he was bemused by news of Maccabi's interest.

"I've had people phoning and texting me about stories saying I'm leaving Rangers but it's all news to me," he said. "There's nothing in it. I've certainly no plans to meet anyone from that club when I head out there.

advertisement

"I'm Jewish, but I've no plans to play in Israel, certainly not at this stage of my career when I'm enjoying myself so much at Rangers. I'm just heading out there to get a bit of sun, maybe go to the beach and see my family. A good friend of mine is also out there playing with Maccabi Haifa so I hope to catch up with him for a few days too. But that's all there is to it. I'm very happy at Rangers and it's not in my thoughts to go anywhere else."

Avi Nimni, the Maccabi general manager, had intimated that he expected Furman to complete a move to the Israelis shortly: "Dean will arrive in Israel in the next few days. He will take a look at Tel Aviv and the club. It is not a trial, though, because our season is finished. There is no transfer fee involved - it will be a free transfer, although it is not 100% completed yet."

Furman, South-African born but raised in London, moved to Rangers from Chelsea two years ago and is contracted with the Ibrox club until 2009. He expressed his satisfaction with life in Glasgow and hopes to extend his stay.

"There haven't been any talks yet about a new deal but we'll see what happens at the start of next season. Making my debut was unbelievable. I was very surprised to get the chance but I loved every minute of it. I hope I can play more next season but I just have to keep progressing and see what happens."

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

We don't need Chmbonda, Why won't Walter just play Whittaker at right back

Whittaker would be fine for the SPL ( apart maybe from McGeady ) but IMO is not strong enough defensively for the next level. Not sure if Chimbonda is the answer but it is certainly an area to be strengthened.

Soncerely hope that Furman will stay as far too many pronmising youth players leave without getting a chance to show what they can do in the first team

• SI Staff
Whittaker would be fine for the SPL ( apart maybe from McGeady ) but IMO is not strong enough defensively for the next level

I like Whittaker and think there is more to come from him. Would prefer that to be at right back. This has only been his first season at the club as well so hopefully we'll see more improvement next season.

He had a fantastic season there for Hibernian and everyone wanted him in to replace Hutton when he was going through a poor run of form after coming back from his leg break.

Miller can pish off for 25k a week icon13.gif if he was somebody who could guarantee 15-20 goals a season then he might be worth taking the risk on (despite the history etc) but he has no guarantee, he has no first touch and he can only run basically

compared to Kris Boyd who will probably guarantee you at least 20 goals+ in all competitions

Think Walter is showing he doesnt know what scouts are

well our scouting "network" is basically Ewan Chester sitting in an office watching a DVD that he's been sent, we don't seem to understand the idea of a "network" of scouts who go to European countries and check on potential signings. That's probably why most of our signings are off the DVDs or are teams we've played in the past (Cuellar with Osasuna for example)

Chinbonda would actually be a class signing for that price, but his wages and the attitude he might have towards the SPL is the failing points me thinks and if we had let Furman go for free, then Walter would be completely stupid

good to see the lad doesn't want to go icon14.gif and hopefully we see more of him, Fleck and some of the other youth next season

I think Walter is sticking by last seasons philosophy that mediocre players can be made to punch above their weight and so he's opted for the same type of player hoping that we can repeat that again this year. icon_frown.gif

It's extremely disheartening to not even be linked to any top class names, never mind signing them. I'm not expecting anything like the France '98 signing extraveganza we had when we signed real top quality players playing in the World Cup but I wouldn't mind us at least attempting to get a few top names in that might be playing this summer.

It was an unexpected financial boost last year yet we are still spending money as if we were still in the McLeish era. It's commendable to not want to burn ourselves again and get into major debt after last time but things have improved since then, we should be doing better than signing some of the players we've been linked to - none of them are inspiring me and are making me more worried for next year in fact.

It was an unexpected financial boost last year yet we are still spending money as if we were still in the McLeish era. It's commendable to not want to burn ourselves again and get into major debt after last time

the only reason for this is because one certain person wants to keep the club attractive to buyers, I don't think I have to tell you who it is but his middle name is "downsize" icon14.gif

Biggest problem with Whittaker at right back is that we know the first minute he's needed at left back or in midfield, he'll be shifted there and Broadfoot drafted in. Not sure he's ever going to hold down that position consistently.

• SI Staff

Is Walter not on holiday at the moment anyway?

I remember last season there was no news and as soon as Walter was back there was a flurry of activity.

Well going by the Euros some players I would like us to be looking at are:

Engelaar - Dutch plays for Twente looked good in the first game pretty solid midfielder.

Razvan Rat - Romania - Plays for Shahkter looked a good attacking left back with sound technique.

Stefan Radu - Romania - players for lazio young at 21 but worth looking at in the up and coming games.

Jan Polak - Czech - players for Anderlecht looked good in the recent friendly against scotland and was also good in his first match can see a pass and has good technique.

Lichsteiner - Swiss - Plays for Lille was filling in as Degen was not fit but I thought he had a good attacking attitude and first touch could prove useful.

Wouldnt mind being linked with Barnetta and Behrami either but have no idea how much they would be likely to cost so would just be guessing out of our range icon_smile.gif

maybe Ewan was watching the Euros this week, so who knows icon14.gif

probably shows how poor the Rangers scouting "network" is as it's the first thing I will change in a game of Football Manager because it's simply non-existant icon_cool.gif

• SI Staff
probably shows how poor the Rangers scouting "network" is as it's the first thing I will change in a game of Football Manager because it's simply non-existant

I think we must use freelance scouts or something like that rather than running our own network and Ewan Chester co-ordinates all this.

Guest sav112

Not been on here for weeks, But I was getting Petrol and spotted a paper and it said we were signing Kenny Miller.

That can’t be a great move can it? icon_rolleyes.gif

But in saying that Him and Boyd would score goals with his work rate. Just think we should be aiming higher.

And the Toon after our GK…………..6M I know our debt was now low but are we trying to go into the Black.

• SI Staff
Not been on here for weeks, But I was getting Petrol and spotted a paper and it said we were signing Kenny Miller.

That can’t be a great move can it?

It's been discussed to death in here already.

Conclusion: Majority are very much against it

Originally posted by Ter:

Is Walter not on holiday at the moment anyway?

I remember last season there was no news and as soon as Walter was back there was a flurry of activity.

I'm holding onto the thin thread of hope that our 'quality' targets have yet to be revealed.

You've forgotten Lafferty icon_frown.gif

You'd think we'd be using our exposure in Europe last season to set our sights higher than this. I'm just holding out on the point somebody mentioned about Walter being 'on holiday'. We didn't have anything to be really excited about last season until a hectic mid-August.

There's plenty of time to speculate, moan and keep our fingers crossed that Walter has his fingers in a few other pies. Talented pies.

Originally posted by FrankJJ:

When are Rangers, or in this case, the media, going to pay attention to Uefa and FIFA rules. Velicka only made his debut for Viking in April and will not be allowed to join another club until at least the end of the Norwegian season in November. icon_rolleyes.gif

I found it funny that not one report mentioned that and now it's been cleared up.

RANGERS' move to sign former Hearts striker Andrius Velicka will beat FIFA red tape - by a day.

Rules state a player cannot feature for three different teams in a 12-month period but the Lithuanian's deal will comply.

Velicka played with the Jambos last term before signing for Norwegian side Viking in February. FIFA regulations for last season stated a player could only feature for two clubs between July 1, 2007 and June 30 this year.

If Rangers agree a fee of around £1million and settle personal terms Velicka will be registered at Ibrox after July 1 - making him exempt from the FIFA red tape that blocked Daniel Cousin's move from Ibrox to Fulham in January.

Originally posted by gavinkil:

Think Walter is showing he doesnt know what scouts are

Read in the paper today we are letting Furman go for free in'all icon13.gif

Walter needs a director of football, I believe Frank Arnesen might be up for grabs...right ta.

I'm sure the European cup is being closely watched

Players of quality will be at least bid for after it finishes. At least give the guy the benefit of the doubt

Word is Sionko is being talked to icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by matty_8:

im gutted we let Sionko go now lol

hes looked decent and the type of player we have been missing

It is disheartening to see a player who could not perform, apparantly, aginst Falkirk and ICT, strutting it on the stage of the Euros and showing up well. I am not sure what that says about him, or how he was motivated at Ibrox.

• SI Staff

Maybe it just shows that he's not a right winger. In a similar way that Buffel isn't a wide player either.

I can see Buffel going to another team and doing well if he's played more centrally linking up play between the midfield and attack and has a decent partner up front to feed off.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Sionko doesn't clatter into the defender enough and win headers to no-one to be rated by Smith.

Too much of that fancy dan passing and movement. Not Rangers class.

And don't forget running back up the pitch laughing because hes had a booking for being a fanny and thinking that somehow this makes him look good.

• SI Staff

Looks like the Kenny Miller deal is going to be done today before he heads off on holiday icon_frown.gif

And Everton are sniffing around Kevin Thomson. £4M should be laughed at.

Archived