The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the very first day of this season:

Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

GTF Strachan, I was going to give him a couple of months, but nah just **** off.

Man, that's one long 30 seconds.

Originally posted by McD:

"a 30 second chant" haha icon_biggrin.gif

Is that seriously the best you can troll?

Strachan was never wanted by much of your support and never will be, regardless of what he achieves.

Name me a time before the game I mentioned that there was open abuse directed towards Strachan from the stands.

And dont spin me that 'you never liked him' yarn.

Im talking about an open campaign to show disproval before Celtic v Motherwell on 05-04-2008.

I'll save you the time, because you wont that is fact. Making up 3 years anti-Stachan campaings...is that the best you can troll at the attempt to deflect attention away from my points which nobody will answer.

"You've been linked with/about to sign plenty of crap players in the past.

Pray tell whey there has been no anti-whoever songs against them?"

Anybody?

On the very first day of this season:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

GTF Strachan, I was going to give him a couple of months, but nah just **** off.

Man, that's one long 30 seconds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get away from posts on an interet forum ffs icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I'm talking about actual reality. You know, inside the stadium...members of RST appearing in media to speak out against Miller.

Find me evidence of anti-Strachan campaings before that Motherwell game.

Where at all have I spoke about concerted, organised campaigns against Strachan at any point? I'll save you the bother...

I just found it funny that you're using the "liberal" angle when I've encountered plenty of Celtic fans over the past 3 years with a strong opposition to this particular man managing their club. You'll tell me that it's for purely footballing reasons. Or that he's ginger. Or that he's a midget. Or that he's grumpy.

I don't expect you to give anything else away. Good luck to you.

And I believe I gave an answer to your question in the second paragraph of my reply at 19:54. icon_smile.gif

Btw he isnt crap, his goal scoring record is poor yes. Kris Boyd on the other hand has a great one yet cant get a game?

But he isnt crap...his goals and performances for us in the CL 2 years ago were a major part of why we qualified from the group.

He's also done well for Scotland.

Also, amazing what a simple little search can uncover...

Btw he isnt crap

How do you sleep at night? icon_biggrin.gif

Why do we need Miller when we have Novo? Both the same type of player except Novo scores more.

Miller has done well for Scotland and looked decent in a poor Derby team whenever I seen him play. Wouldn't mind signing him as a squad player if he was a freebie, but 2 mill.... icon_frown.gif

Aye keep digging, your talking absolute cack and you know it.

Kenny Miller has a poor first touch and lacks the close control skills that both Cousin and JCD have. If you watched him play for Celtic/Scotland you would know that

I'd wager to a man that all the bears in here with me would agree.

FWIW, taking into account their all-round game, if (and it's big if) they were each at the peak of their form, fitness and application, I'd say Miller was a poor third place to both Cousin and JCD.

And I'm one of the few who have semi-defended re-signing him. icon_smile.gif

Miller is not a good player but hes no worse than Darcheville thats for sure.

Despite his faults Miller has had a few fantastic games for Scotland and a couple with Celtic. He also had a fantastic season the year Wolves got promoted, he was one of the top scorers in the championship.

Could you say that about JCD? I've not been impressed at all by him, without his pace he would be useless imo.

Both aren't good enough for Celtic or Rangers

Darcheville's a tireless runner (well until 65 minutes!), he's strong, pacy, mobile, good with the ball at his feet, decent at picking up good positions when he's actually in and around the box. He also seems like a genuinely postive guy to have in the squad, he's always talking to players, youngers players, encouraging them, geeing them up.

He's by no means perfect - he can be rash if things aren't going his way, he fades out of games at times, and most fatally for a striker he lacks a little composure in front of goal. Also, ofc he needs to stay fit more.

Saying all that, he played quite a big part in the success we did have last season. His injury problems and age, added to the fixture pile-up, didn't help him gain a huge amount of consistency, but big games like the first cup final against United, away from home in Lisbon, the second OF match at Ibrox, he definitely made a difference. I also thought he was our most dangerous player against Zenit, although that wasn't hard!

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

Miller is not a good player but hes no worse than Darcheville thats for sure.

Despite his faults Miller has had a few fantastic games for Scotland and a couple with Celtic. He also had a fantastic season the year Wolves got promoted, he was one of the top scorers in the championship.

Could you say that about JCD? I've not been impressed at all by him, without his pace he would be useless imo.

Both aren't good enough for Celtic or Rangers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Darcheville

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Miller

Millers scoring record in the SPL with Hibs, Rangers and Celtic speaks for itself.

A half fit JCD has done well for us this year.

He did alright in the 3rd division with Stenny, maybe he found his level!

fair enough but you have to admit there was games where he done next to nothing. 1st game against us at Parkhead for example.

The point im trying to make is that in some big games Miller can perform well above his ability (not often). From what i've heard, hes actually rated very highly in Italy after terrorising their defenders at Hampden in the 1-1 game a few years back. I could never see Darcheville performing like that

fair enough but you have to admit there was games where he done next to nothing. 1st game against us at Parkhead for example.

The point im trying to make is that in some big games Miller can perform well above his ability (not often). From what i've heard, hes actually rated very highly in Italy after terrorising their defenders at Hampden in the 1-1 game a few years back. I could never see Darcheville performing like that

I won't deny that is the case, he has at times punched above his weight.

Unfortunatly we will never see Darchville playing for Scotland at Hampden so its difficult to compare.

Miller's got his plus points too, I'm not denying that, and I highlighted the form, fitness and application thing because he will probably hit those three more often than JCD and certainly Cousin. Still think, pound for pound, he lacks the class, ability and impact those two players have on their day.

Surely Cousin will go though?

I think Miller would be a pointless signing for you tbh unless you get rid of Darcheville and Novo as hes pretty similar to them.

I think WS has big decisions to make during the summer regarding the shape of his team i.e will he stick to the 451 or change it to a more attacking formation. Then buy players who will fit into his chosen system.

I wouldnt think there was much point in keeping Boyd if he goes for the 451 again

I think Miller would be a pointless signing for you tbh unless you get rid of Darcheville and Novo as hes pretty similar to them.

My point exactly.

Similar and also, not as good.

Surely Cousin will go though?

Very likely.

I think WS has big decisions to make during the summer regarding the shape of his team i.e will he stick to the 451 or change it to a more attacking formation. Then buy players who will fit into his chosen system.

I wouldnt think there was much point in keeping Boyd if he goes for the 451 again

WS will stick to 451 in Europe and against you guys, I'm sure of it.

Whether he's looking at playing more domestic games with two up-front, Boyd and Miller presumably, I dunno. We need to address our poor away record in the SPL and that may be one option.

tbf, the only reason im against Kenny Miller is that hes played for us and Celtic before. As a player, hes not bad. Maybe not worth the price being quoted but he has scored a few internationally and in the premiership. If we were to play 451 (as i presume we will) then i think he wont be a bad signing at all. Also, him and Boyd in a 442 would work quite well imo. Hes a hard worker and can play up front on his own and we know Walter will like this. We could attract better players, no doubt about it, but hes not as bad as everyone is making out.

The problem i see with him playing the main striker in a 451 is whos going to score the goals?

Hes great at it for Scotland but for Scotland its acceptable for him to score once every 4/5 games as we're not one of the top teams, but at Rangers you would want your striker to score more than that.

His role as striker for Rangers would be completely different to the one he has in Scotland

The problem i see with him playing the main striker in a 451 is whos going to score the goals?

Hes great at it for Scotland but for Scotland its acceptable for him to score once every 4/5 games as we're not one of the top teams, but at Rangers you would want your striker to score more than that.

His role as striker for Rangers would be completely different to the one he has in Scotland

thats where boydy comes in icon_cool.gif

It's been covered plenty, but 451 can be an attacking formation if the right players are employed. The one becomes a three, even four, when you're on the front foot, and played with pace and movement, it can be very difficult to defend against.

We had a bad run of injuries and loss of form to wider, offensive players last season and we got ourselves stuck into a rut of playing guys like Whittaker, Davis, Dailly et al as wingers. Fine when you're hanging on to a 0-0 draw in Florence, but not so good chasing a win at Easter Road! It's no wonder we stopped creating chances, stopped scoring goals and stopped winning games.

Added to this the fact we had three central midfielders not known for being box-to-box goalscorers (well in Ferguson's case, not any more) and everything really ran aground after the split.

Even more than a striker this summer, we need, need, need one, probably, two attacking midfielders, guys who will add pace, skill and a goalscoring threat from middle to front. It's something we've really lacked since, oh, probably Ronald de Boer was at the club, not that we'll get someone with half that ability.

I am a bit annoyed about Miller due to what he did in that OF game when he scored - but most of my annoyance comes from the idea that he is not good enough, he runs about, has no first touch and can't exactly bring too much to the team - infact we'd be better with Sebo back as he wouldn't have cost us anything and had similar qualites

if we sold Boyd for Miller, then WS is completely mad, Boyd is 3 or 4 times the striker Miller is, apart from not running about. Although the root of the problem stems from Murray's penny pinching, we've made probably £20m from the Euro run and we had the Hutton money in January and we still have to go after pish like Miller for £2m (which he is never worth) If Murray is not willing to support Walter and give him the cash he needs to improve the squad, then he should bugger off now and let someone who will do that for the club

if Stoke offer even £1m for McCulloch (heard £2.5m in a paper) I'd bite their hands off in a second, he's the sort of player who should be taken out of the squad because he is not good enough, along with Miller icon_mad.gif

Baggies to bid £4m for Thomson

West Brom boss Tony Mowbray is reportedly ready to test Rangers' resolve with a £4million summer bid for midfield lynchpin Kevin Thomson.

The 23-year-old played under Mowbray during the Albion gaffer's stint in charge of Hibernian, who sold Thomson to the Ibrox giants for £2million.

The Baggies were linked with a move for the midfielder before he plumped for a move to the Gers - but Mowbray is ready to reignite his interest after steering Albion into the Premier League, according to the Express & Star.

Thomson was a first-team regular under Walter Smith last season, making 25 SPL appearances and 11 starts in their run to the UEFA Cup final.

But Mowbray feels he would be the perfect midfield partner for Albion skipper Jonathan Greening, as well as giving the Baggies some bite in the middle of the park.

Gers chief Smith is ironically believed to be pondering a bid for Greening, but Albion are more likely to lodge just a straight-cash offer for Thomson.

• SI Staff

We should be giving boys like Steven Lennon a chance (who is a similar type of player to Kenny Miller) instead of spending money and high wages on Miller. icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HOORAY HENRIK:

Btw he isnt crap, his goal scoring record is poor yes. Kris Boyd on the other hand has a great one yet cant get a game?

But he isnt crap...his goals and performances for us in the CL 2 years ago were a major part of why we qualified from the group.

He's also done well for Scotland.

Also, amazing what a simple little search can uncover...

Btw he isnt crap

How do you sleep at night? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crap compared to who both teams had as strikers at the time aye, that why he left.

He's more than good enough for you lot now tho...as my above examples prove. And Uncle Walt agrees.

Digging up old quotes? how cute icon_biggrin.gif

Shall I dig up all the

'We shall not be moved icon_cool.gif '

' Champions icon_cool.gif '

'It's in the bag icon_cool.gif '

nonsense from you lot not even a couple of months ago? icon_smile.gif

Fact of the matter is, Miller is an improvement on Cousin and Darcheville, who have shown flashes of competency and thats it.

Crap compared to who both teams had as strikers at the time aye, that why he left.

He's more than good enough for you lot now tho...as my above examples prove.

OK icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Shall I dig up all the

'We shall not be moved icon_cool.gif '

' Champions icon_cool.gif '

'It's in the bag icon_cool.gif '

Yep, that's exactly the same as saying a player's "baws" then changing your mind when it suits you.

Anyway, I hereby withdraw from this as I try not to converse with liars.

Now toddle off to your own thread. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Fact of the matter is, Miller is an improvement on Cousin and Darcheville, who have shown flashes of competency and thats it.

I can't believe your still peddeling your garbage.

You will never in your puff see Kenny Miller put in a performance that big dan put in that night we won 3-0 in Lyon.

Now toddle off to your own clubs thread with your poor attempt at an opinion.

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

You will never in your puff see Kenny Miller put in a performance that big dan put in that night we won 3-0 in Lyon.

Now toddle off to your own clubs thread with your poor attempt at an opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Millers performance in that Italy game as i mentioned earlier was every bit as good. Im not saying hes better than him though.

"flashes of competency and thats it"

Doesn't that describe Miller perfectly? Add in his near £2million fee for his average career contribution, his dressing room mole status wherever he goes, his tendency to ask for more money after he's back a while (ask Lawwell), and, yes, of course add in the fact he played for Celtic then disrespected his old supporters who had never been too disrespectful to him by thumping his heart after scoring for Celtic against Rangers, then you have a deeply unpopular signing for many valid reasons.

Not sure what the problem is with that. Some may point to one specific reason (usually his questionable talent), some (like me) may find the range of issues annoying.

So what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Not sure what the problem is with that.

The problem is he's crap when he's at Celtic, but btw he isnt crap when he's at us. Keep up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Stop the press! Rangers fans don't want crap former Celtic player to sign for them! How non-liberal of them!

Jesus H. Christ.

I'm sorry mate but i don't think it compares.

Cousins ball for the 3rd goal was sheer quality.

You will NEVER see Kenny Miller play a pass like that.

i would rather have praise from some of the best defenders in the world than play a good pass

this makes it as though im sticking up for him icon_biggrin.gif. i dislike the guy, not just because he was s*** for us but also his general attitude. Complaining in the papers about not playing when he had scored about 3 goals all season.

I hope you waste a couple of million on him tbh. if it happens you have got to question the manager for signing someone who wasn't good enough for your rivals

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Not sure what the problem is with that.

The problem is he's crap when he's at Celtic, but btw he isnt crap when he's at us. Keep up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why Strachan got rid.

Which is why Smith is buying him.

Keep up!

Rangers being all cryptic

Apparently it'll look a little something like this

In other news. Today see's us linked with a move for ex Jambo Andrius Velicka. I actually liked the guy at Hearts but it seems to me that he'd be another squad player when we are crying out for some genuine X1 difference makers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Now toddle off to your own clubs thread with your poor attempt at an opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, you're pathetic.

I'll toddle off to the champions thread now, wont get anywhere with you and your ignorant personna icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Rangers being all cryptic

Apparently it'll look a little something like this

In other news. Today see's us linked with a move for ex Jambo Andrius Velicka. I actually liked the guy at Hearts but it seems to me that he'd be another squad player when we are crying out for some genuine X1 difference makers.

When are Rangers, or in this case, the media, going to pay attention to Uefa and FIFA rules. Velicka only made his debut for Viking in April and will not be allowed to join another club until at least the end of the Norwegian season in November. icon_rolleyes.gif

Archived