Rotherham? They'll... oh, who cares.

Bedese

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm absolutely gutted. We were 27 minutes away from taking home the league title - instead, we're in the playoffs.

I have a really bad history with the playoffs because of my FM 16 save with Rotherham.

First season, we just about survived. Second season, we were close to midtable. Third season, we made the playoffs, and got to the final, only to lose to West Ham. Still, no worries, we had a good squad. I was confident about next year. Came third. Made playoffs. Lost in the playoff final. Alright, try again the year after. Come third. Made playoffs. Lost in the playoff final.

We lost three straight playoff finals. I hate the playoffs more than words could say.

But this is a new save, with a new team. It's time to end the curse, and take Rotherham to the Premiership for the first time in their history.

Factfile: Fulham FC

Despite not being one of the bigger clubs in London, Fulham arrived on the footballing scene in style with a magical Europa League run in 2010. Things went south from there, however, and the playoffs represent Fulham's chance to finally arrive back in the biggest league in the world.

Team Name: Fulham FC

Nickname: The Cottagers

Home Ground: Craven Cottage

Founded: 1879

Manager: Pep Clotet

Quick hitter: Fulham beat Juventus 4-1 in the Europa League in 2010 en route to the final!

Fulham are by no means a footballing powerhouse, but they made the world sit up and take notice with their performance in the Europa League in 2010. They progressed second in their group behind Roma, before dispatching Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, Wolfsburg and Hamburg to reach the final in incredible fashion. They were 4-1 down on aggregate against Juventus before Bobby Zamora, Zoltan Gera and Clint Dempsey helped lead a remarkable turnaround. Fulham were to lose 2-1 in the final, however, and that run was to be the rise before a fall.

Fulham were relegated in the 2013-14 season after a nightmare year where nothing fell right. They tried to manoeuvre their way up through the transfer market, selling players and spending a then record £11m on Ross McCormack to spearhead an incredibly young Fulham team. The end result was a disappointing 17th place finish - only to come 20th the year later. Their fortunes improved slightly in 2016/17 with a respectable 14th placed finish, before Pep Clotet took over, leading them to an 11th placed finish last year. In his first full season in charge, he's led Fulham to 6th place and a playoff spot - although it could have been more. Fulham topped the league for a significant portion of the season, but 5 losses in 6 games saw them shoot right down the table. They held off Everton for the last playoff spot, however, and it's up to Pep Clotet - in his first managerial job in England - to try and return Fulham to the biggest league in world football. 

Can they do it? Well, finishing 6th doesn't suggest their chances are all that great, but there's a lot to like about this Fulham side. Clotet has really got the best out of his players with a possession oriented system - in fact, Fulham had the best average possession in the league, with 55.54% possession per match. That's impressive. They also lead the league in shots on target, and are the second highest goalscorers in the division - although they are only 19th in terms of the ratio of shots on target. This is a team who creates a lot of chances and are free-scoring, but that causes problems at the other end. They've conceded 68 goals this season, the most out of any team in the playoffs.

There's also a discipline problem at Fulham - 85 yellow cards and 6 red cards mean that only Wolves had a worse disciplinary record than them in the Championship this season. If Clotet wants to give Fulham their Premiership status back, he's going to need to be able to control his players and stop them from launching into any rash challenges. It's a question of playing hard but fair, and that's something that Fulham have struggled with all too often this season.

If you're looking at Fulham's dangerman, there's really only one candidate. Tom Cairney is a top-class player - on his day, he's nearly unplayable. 15 goals from midfield is a remarkable tally, and really goes to illustrate just how key he is to Fulham's game - especially since that makes him their joint top scorer alongside Cauley Woodrow.

George Williams is a superb winger, and compliments Cairney's game superbly when Cairney works through the centre. Williams has an abundance of pace, and always looks a threat to wreak havoc on an opposing defence.

Ragnar Sigurdsson is the heart of Fulham's defence - but it's not a particularly good one. Sigurdsson has made his fair share of mistakes this season, and if Fulham are to have any chance of winning promotion, they're going to need an inspired performance - and a mistake free one - from Sigurdsson.

Neeskens Kebano is unlikely to be fit until the final, and that's a huge loss for Fulham. The winger has been the man Fulham often turn to for a moment of magic this season, and his absence leaves a big void to fill.

Experts view: There's a lot to like about this Fulham team. They're very good at what they do, which is get the ball moving quickly and dangerously, while keeping hold of it and tiring out the opposing defenders. They're probably better than their league position belies - but their defence just can't be ignored. They conceded 2+ goals in exactly half their games in the league this season. The playoffs are going to pit them against the best the league has to offer, and they just haven't proven themselves capable of keeping goals out. They have a potent attack, but good luck conceding 2 goals against these teams and expecting to come out on top. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to go on and win the Playoffs - but I can't say that I'd be surprised were they to concede 4 in the first leg of the semi-final, either.

Factfile: Rotherham United

Rotherham United should not be here. They're one of the smallest clubs in the division - but they mean business. After blowing the title on the final day of the season, can Rotherham recover from the shock to make it to the Premiership for the first time in their history?

Team Name: Rotherham United

Nickname: The Millers

Home Ground: New York Stadium

Founded: 1870

Manager: Jamie Sewell

If Fulham aren't a footballing powerhouse, their opponents in the semi-final are barely a footballing shed. The Millers aren't hoping to make a quick return to the top flight - in fact, they've never played there once. The most notable achievement in the club's history is being runners up to Aston Villa in the inaugural League Cup in 1961 - since then, they've been perpetually a lower league team, lucky to even still be in the Championship, depending on who you ask.

Rotherham were promoted out of League Two in 2012/13, and then won a memorable playoff final against Leyton Orient to go straight up to the Championship in their first season in League One, with The Millers having come from two goals down to rescue the tie before winning it on penalties. They survived - barely - in their first three seasons in the Championship, finishing 21st under Steve Evans and 21st under Neil Warnock, before finishing 20th in 2016/2017 in Jamie Sewell's first season in charge. After a 17th placed finish last season, few - if any - would have picked tiny Rotherham as a force to be reckoned with this season, but that's how it played out. After a slow start, Rotherham climbed the table up into the promotion places, and stayed there - right up until the last day of the season, where a 2-1 loss to Sunderland saw them slip from 1st to 3rd. Now, Rotherham will need to prove that they deserve to be playing with the big boys, and that the failure - if you can call it that - to not get promoted automatically is behind them.

Rotherham were predicted to be involved in another relegation fight this season - and when you look at their squad, you can understand why.

4 of their preferred starting 11 were at the club before Sewell took over - and Jon Taylor remains their record signing, for just £500,000. Richard Smallwood moved from Middlesbrough for £175,000, Dominic Ball from Spurs for £150,000, and Joe Newell from Peterborough for £250,000. Eldin Jakupovic was bought in for £140,000, but the other 6 players cost not a penny. Chris Mavinga (LB), Gianluca Mancini (star CB), Marco Moscati (RB), Kazenga LuaLua (LW) and Pietro Iemmello (ST) all joined the club as free transfers - castaways from other teams - with Will Keane being on loan from Hull.

In many ways, Rotherham are a defiant two-finger salute to the footballing world, aiming to show that you don't need to spend for success - if you spend wisely. In Sewell's three seasons here, Rotherham have spent money on just four players. 32 players have joined for nothing or on loan. With all the money splashing around in football these days, Rotherham may be on the verge of doing something very special indeed.

Only four teams spent less money on player salaries this season - Scunthorpe, Charlton, Millwall and Bolton. Charlton and Millwall were relegated. Bolton finished just safe, in 19th, while Scunthorpe ended the year just one higher in 18th. Rotherham came 3rd. They've found a formula that works for them - if it does work. That's what the playoffs are to determine.

Rotherham vs Fulham is one of the most intriguing matchups in recent memory - because the two teams on the field are, in many ways, equal. Fulham have the most possession in the league - but Rotherham are right behind them in second. Fulham are the second highest scorers - but Rotherham are the first. Both teams have a questionable defensive record. In the two league meetings this year, both games finished 2-2. This is going to be tough to call.

Fulham may have a potent attack, but Rotherham's threatens to blow them out of the water. That's down to two men - Pietro Iemmello and Will Keane. Iemmello has 28 league goals in 40 starts, with Keane providing 20 in 38 starts. They also both have 12 assists. This is a finely tuned, lethal strike partnership, and it's amongst the best the division has season in recent years. 

Rotherham are going to be without excellent winger Jon Taylor for the entirety of the playoffs. With Kazenga LuaLua also set to miss at least the first leg on the other wing, this is a team snakebitten at the wrong time. Demetri Mitchell did manage to score against Sunderland, but it's hard to see what he brings to the table as a replacement apart from speed - although, granted, he does have an abundance of it.

At the back, Rotherham are led by Gianluca Mancini - the young CB recently celebrated his 23rd birthday, but there would be no gift sweeter than promotion to the Premiership. Mancini represents everything Rotherham are about. After being released by Perugia for failing to make the grade in the third tier of Italy, Rotherham signed him on a free for very low wages, and he's instantly become one of the most dominating CBs in the division. 

Experts view: I don't know what to make of this Rotherham side. They're a team of misfits, for the most part - but I can't ignore their success in the league this season, and the fact that they could easily have won the title. Pietro Iemmello and Will Keane are unstoppable when paired together - although I worry about a lack of service with both starting wingers on the sideline. It's going to be too tight to call - as their 2-2 draws this season attest to - but I think Rotherham may just have enough about themselves to go through to the final. I'm taking Rotherham 4-3 over the two legs.

6 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

Damn, and I thought Demetri Mitchell had come up clutch as hell to decide the Championship.

Just curious, by any chance Gianluca Mancini is the son of Roberto?

He isn't, unfortunately. That would have been pretty cool :D 

2 hours ago, RSJ said:

Head up, dust yourself down and go again @Jupjamie - had a terrific season last time out and that title is well within your sights now mate

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Damn it, the playoffs just don't suit you. Next season you'll just take the league, is all.

2 hours ago, deltablue said:

I remember from the 2004-05 season how disappointing it can be to miss out in the playoffs after being front runners for so long :(

Thanks guys :) We go again next season, although I'm not quite sure what to do about the squad. I want to use this chance to make the squad one capable of surviving in the top flight, but at the same time not knowing what division we'd be playing in has left us quite behind on recruitment. Lots of work to be done.

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

Ugh, that was tough to read.  This next year is yours.  As you note, it isn't just about promotion -- it's about surviving in the top flight.  It's coming.

52 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Unlucky man, like the others said you'll just have to regroup and go again next season. 

Thanks guys :D We'll be back with a vengeance next season for sure! 

10 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Cheers, SpillBlood! I'm actually not sure how many first teamers we've signed so far, but there's a lot of potential being bought in :D 

That isn't a bad thing!  When I brought up my two young strikers and my young CB they were my best signings! 

4 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Ah man if they don't I don't sign them.  Feels like a waste.  There are other people, just takes time!  Usually in the Championship I check Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Scandinavia actually hasn't been all that fruitful for me so far. I'm fine with signing players without work permits on frees and waiting for them to get them. I'll only spend money on them if they're going to be worth it (like Gonzalez earlier).

Transfers:

387ff62ddc2caf81b5d9b696d72336b1.png

13 signings (Dael Fry isn't listed) without any money spent, and a few outgoings. The ones released weren't good enough, Moyano and Orihuela need gametime if he's ever going to make it here, we have enough strikers to let Vicaroni develop at a team with better facilities, and Botta and Gonzalez need a work permit.

7493973ef3d9b62620eda77deda2d3d3.png

Galanopoulous joins on a free from AEK, and looks like a quality defensive minded CM prospect.

235dffc4d5245f85321d2da280d5a2c9.png

I'm very excited about Pereira. A two footed creative midfielder from Argentina who joins on a free from Quilmes, he looks the business. He doesn't have a Work Permit yet, but he's staying here because if he keeps getting U20 caps, a work permit may not be too far away.

4b06e89e00c8c1840cb48cedb67cb653.png

Nangis joins on a free from LOSC, and he's going to be competing with Kazenga LuaLua for our LW spot. He'll probably back him up to start with, but I'm very happy with adding him to the squad, even if it's just as depth.

6cfeae2ad1d92298163fcd44d5a99927.png

The main man is back! After a superb season on loan from Hull last year, Keane has joined us after being released by Hull. Delighted to have him back.

4e88a3bb86c5be22f300726a0bca9c90.png

A little less exciting as a prospect, but there was no way I was turning down the chance to bring in a 6'7 CB with potential. He's never going to get a work permit here, so he's off to Spain on loan for the year - Southern Americans only need to spend two years in Spain to gain nationality there, so hopefully he'll be eligible to play for us when he's 21.

c5107624168b81cf3be0ec0dbafe65b3.png

I'm absolutely buzzing to have Nunez here - especially for free! We snagged him away from Ferro in Argentina, and he has a bright future ahead of him. Aged 19, he made two appearances for Argentina in the U20 WC, and I'm hoping that he'll get enough U20 caps to gain a work permit fairly quickly, because he's superb. He's going to go a long way in this game - I just hope that it's with us. He does have a minimum release fee of £15m, but considering we got him for free... :D 

69fc0ba171053ce15364447f6543323d.png

Joel Lynch joins on a free from QPR to provide cover at CB. It's slightly expensive cover, and he's on a longer deal than I'd have liked, but it's good to have quality depth.

9798f585a464a97a68eacb771a26a51e.png

A youth prospect released by United, I don't envisage Bailey playing many games here, but there could be some profit to be made off him.

3aa153846b3d2dd21ba893aea088b9d3.png

Bielik probably won't play much, but he's here on loan as cover at CB/CM, and he's free. 

5cca0fb9e1caa5dee5aae0958464e122.png

Keane and Iemmello might have been the stars of last year, but they're going to have to play very well to keep their places. Malescu is on loan from Liverpool for the year, and even though he's not natural at ST, I'm very excited to give him a run out.

dfd429a3927c8100900586e2654d5bd9.png

Sterling was on loan at MK Franchise last year, and his pace absolutely destroyed us. When I saw we could get him for free for the year, I had to bring him in. He'll give us some more depth upfront.

1a3744e743c99fe21e482a87e8204dee.png

On loan from Chelsea for the year. Dasilva isn't as stout defensively as I'd like, but he's a very good option to have. He'll probably be backing up Chris Mavinga to start, although he could easily push for first team appearances in spite of that 9 marking.

Archived