Rotherham? They'll... oh, who cares.

Bedese

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Some good players you've got in!  Mings is some coup!  For the first season you're doing really well.

Cheers mate! I said the same about Odemwingie, he's an absolute disgrace. He knew exactly what he was doing with that elbow, it's one of the most vicious things I've ever seen on a football pitch. I'd rather go down than have someone like that represent us.

59 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Cheers BoxToBox, his name was on my mind ever since you reminded me of it ;) 

Hopefully you won't be cursing me in a few months of game time. :D

I had him as a CM(a), IIRC, in a save, and he done really well.

58 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Cheers mate! I said the same about Odemwingie, he's an absolute disgrace. He knew exactly what he was doing with that elbow, it's one of the most vicious things I've ever seen on a football pitch. I'd rather go down than have someone like that represent us.

Was it that bad? I saw his apology, and the manager kind of brush it off, so I didn't think it was that calculated? Only caught the last few minutes of the game so haven't seen it.

4 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Was it that bad? I saw his apology, and the manager kind of brush it off, so I didn't think it was that calculated? Only caught the last few minutes of the game so haven't seen it.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/10673953/peter-odemwingie-sees-red-for-nasty-elbow-then-tweets-to-apologise-during-game#ooid=RiM3J1NzE6F2lsagMr8M4jqGvUmlsIQ6

I can't work out how to embed the video, but here it is.

4 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Check the Championship thread, personally think it was awful.

3 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Cheers! Disgraceful action.

2 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Check the Championship thread, personally think it was awful.

Right! That's bloody terrible! "Caught by accident" my arse, that was closer to a UFC strike than any kind of football move.

I'll have to sell the prat off my FMT save now, too.

February:

4f7ffac2a733f587df30ada77b968f58.png

Uh oh...

Bristol City vs Rotherham:

We were poor. We didn't defend well, didn't retain the ball well and didn't defend particularly well, either.

Rotherham vs Barnsley:

Two points dropped. We battered them, and a Danny Ward brace had us 2-0 up by the 42nd minute. Aymen Belaid got sent off for a second yellow card in the 45th minute, though, and the tide changed. Barnsley made the extra man count, and rescued a draw with two poor goals, in truth.

Rotherham vs Blackburn:

Not a good loss to a team in a position similar to us. Jon Taylor put us 1-0 up inside 5 minutes, but Blackburn equalised when Craig Conway struck from 25 yards. Ben Marshall converted a penalty in the second half after Taye Taiwo lost his man and bought him down, and Lee Camp got beaten terribly at the near post by Elliott Bennett to seal the game. 

Rotherham vs Huddersfield:

An even game, believe it or not, with Anthony Forde coming off the bench to net twice. Still, that's 7 games without a win. I'm going back to the 4-3-3 that served us so well to start the year.

Cardiff vs Rotherham:

A 3-0 loss to managerless Cardiff isn't what I had in mind. They destroyed us with long throws, scoring twice from them. Oh dear.

Brentford vs Rotherham:

If we do go down, this is the game that I'll point to as why. This was a huge game, with us sitting 21st and Brentford 22nd. We went 1-0 up in 48 seconds when Joe Newell tapped into an empty net. Lasse Vibe equalised for them but just before halftime we went 2-1 up, with CB Kelvin Wilson scoring from 27 yards. We were coasting, but Sullay Kaikai scored in the 84th minute before Scott Hogan struck in the 89th minute to steal a win for Brentford. That's a 6 point swing in five minutes, and the table now looks like this:

33f46885ff787a6bd8aa1c06de545d66.png

If we had held on, we'd be 8 points clear. Instead, we're just two points above the drop with 12 games to go.

Youth Intake Day!

If you followed my FM 16 saves, you may or may not have realised that I rather like developing youth players. Now, Rotherham are pretty notoriously rubbish with regards to the youth academy - I can't even remember the last time a product of the youth academy actually stuck around in the first team, although I'm hoping Jerry Yates changes that in real life - so I'm not expecting miracles here straight away. Just one or two players that might be worth a tidy sum in the future would be nice.

263769ad13fd33ab93e36c6153e64e5c.png

That's not bad. Here's the best player:

867c1f08b352656cbd2c440a2ed9bb32.png

There's some potential there.

March:

381f50a18bc97ad16ed349966194390d.png

We are reborn! Sort of, anyway.

Rotherham vs Aston Villa:

I've never seen us dominate so much against such a big side. We went with the 4-3-3, but I have made some changes to it - the ST, wingers, AP and BBM all have the individual instruction 'more risky passes' to try and carve defences open a bit more. Against Villa, that came to fruition. We had 21 shots to 13 and 65% of the ball, with goals from Jon Taylor and a Dael Fry header from a corner - which they couldn't defend all game - giving us the win.

Rotherham vs Brighton:

I think we just spoilt Brighton's automatic promotion party. They went 2-0 up in 11 minutes. That didn't last long, Izzy Brown got pulled down in the box in the 18th minute, and Taye Taiwo smashed home the penalty for his first goal for the club. Izzy Brown then scored twice in two minutes - both from the edge of the penalty box - to send us 3-2 up going into half time. Danny Ward made it 4-2 after some beautiful football on the counter attack, before Kelvin Wilson headed home from a corner to give us our 5th. Mental. 

Wolves vs Rotherham:

This one wasn't so fun. Wolves have a ridiculously strong squad, and they completely snuffed us out. No complaints.

QPR vs Rotherham:

A tight game. Ben Reeves gave QPR the lead with a superb header in the 10th minute, before we got a lucky equaliser when Alex Smithies failed to keep out a shot from Izzy Brown that he really should have saved. We had the better of the remaining chances and Karl Henry got sent off late on, because he's Karl Henry, but in the end we had to settle for a point. Still, seven points from four games!

608df1d349f50eb52a326664603906bf.png

F***ing Brentford won't go down without a fight. They've won four and drawn once in their last six games - 2-1 against Wolves and that 3-2 against us in February before drawing 1-1 with Ipswich, beating Forest 2-0, beating Huddersfield 5-4(!) and then somehow losing 4-3 to Burton Albion in March. This is going to be a proper nervy finish. 8 games left, and I'm going to take them one at a time. I think it's between us, Preston and Brentford for the drop, so I'm going to focus on our results. Birmingham and possibly Blackburn could still be dragged into it, though.

Players:

I've forgotten to do this for the last couple of months. Apologies.

Lee Camp has been solid in goal, but the defence in front of him has been spectacular lately. Tyrone Mings at LB and Taye Taiwo at RB have really picked up the pace after a shaky few games, and Dael Fry and Kelvin Wilson are dominant at CB for us right now. Kirk Broadfoot, Dominic Ball, Aymen Belaid, Darnell Fisher and Joe Mattock are all on the outside looking in right now.

In midfield, we've kept a pretty consistent lineup. Joe Newell is our AP and absolutely bossing it, Lee Frecklington is back in the side and doing well as our BBM, and Tom Adeyemi has made the BWM spot his own. Richie Towell was given a chance but was far from impressive, Will Vaulks is just coming back from a lengthy injury but has a long way to go to get back into the side, and Samba Diakite, Brandon Miele and Jake Forster-Caskey are afterthoughts at the moment.

Izzy Brown is tearing things up on the left flank, with Jon Taylor doing the same on the right flank, which means Anthony Forde isn't getting much of a look in at the moment.

Danny Ward is the main man upfront - but that's more because he has to be. Conor Washington has been extremely disappointing so far, Dexter Blackstock is an afterthought and Jerry Yates isn't ready for first team football. There is good news upfront, though - Jonson Clarke-Harris has made his return to the side after being out for the past 8 months with torn knee ligaments, coming off the bench 3 times so far. Unfortunately, his stats have dropped pretty significantly, but we'll see how he develops.

e812d425a75bf306dca47f7d24aa585b.png

bd801642b010c6c2ff9f9b8b7bd85905.png

Bad. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. It was an even game, but Chris Martin was the only one who could take his chance, before Tyrone Mings second yellow card left us exposed at the back. This was a game we should have been getting points from.

How did our rivals do?

410a02c774f49e3e9714365e68a44515.png

097c76a876462dbf01494104382debdc.png

Uh oh...

Brentford are going to be safe. They're on an unbelievable run of form. It might just be us and Preston - and that draw gives them the upper hand.

5c24ae6bbc86c95af9c7704d03e27feb.png

This is the first time ALL SEASON that we're in the relegation zone - and there's just seven games left.

How's your nerve?

I've read the whole thread right now, I've managed Rotherham a lot last last year and I have to say the squad is really weak at the start.

I'd try to lower your training level a bit, maybe you didn't rotate your men enough and they're simply too tired now, some extra rest for your key players could let you beat the drop.

Don't give up, it's a good save.

21 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Oof. Squeaky bum time 

12 hours ago, SpillBlood said:

Ouch.  You can do it!

Thanks guys! Squeaky bum time indeed...

10 hours ago, higgins said:

I've read the whole thread right now, I've managed Rotherham a lot last last year and I have to say the squad is really weak at the start.

I'd try to lower your training level a bit, maybe you didn't rotate your men enough and they're simply too tired now, some extra rest for your key players could let you beat the drop.

Don't give up, it's a good save.

Thanks, Higgins! Good advice on the training :thup: That's something I've been forgetting to tweak.

Good luck pal. I'll be keeping everything crossed for you. 

You're showing a fair bit more determination than old Jackett did anyway..!

Any hint of what went off to make him go? Heard it was down to broken promises about the JTW. Squad needs trimming IMO and prepping for a season in L1, not adding to with Champ wages.

18 hours ago, johnstonpickle said:

Good luck pal. I'll be keeping everything crossed for you. 

You're showing a fair bit more determination than old Jackett did anyway..!

Any hint of what went off to make him go? Heard it was down to broken promises about the JTW. Squad needs trimming IMO and prepping for a season in L1, not adding to with Champ wages.

I've heard conflicting stories. The one that seems to be being pushed is that he wasn't happy with the results of a meeting to discuss the January budget on Monday, but TS said that Jackett wanted to resign on Saturday after the Leeds game. Personally, I don't think he realised just how big a challenge he was taking on, and probably jumped ship because he didn't fancy the inevitable relegation dampening his CV. One thing's for sure, we're in a whole lot of mess :(

Out of interest, who would you want in as the new boss? None of the favourites really take my fancy. If it was up to me, I'd give the job to Paul Warne until the end of the season. Well liked, well respected, and a Miller through and through. He'd get the team playing.

15 hours ago, deltablue said:

I hope Mings has been doing well. 

He's not been too bad, Delta. He's doing about as well as he could be as part of one of the worst defences in the league, anyway.

4 hours ago, SpillBlood said:

When we do find the result out!?

When I've played it :D 

I'm lumbered with a load of uni coursework right now (end of term, woo), and I want to be able to devote some serious time to playing it, rather than playing an odd game here and there. Hopefully, that won't be too far away, but for now, I'm afraid you'll all have to wait and see... :D 

Yeah more I think about it, I think he's the kinda guy who wouldn't want the relegation on his CV. Also he's a southerner, can't think of any clubs he's managed up North so that could have been a shock to the system!

I'd go for Stuart Gray. Pains me to say , but he did a great job at Wednesday when they were skint. They were boring, but he seemed to get the best out of players and kept a lot of clean sheets with an average team. Transfer wise he was pretty shrewd too. 

5 hours ago, johnstonpickle said:

Yeah more I think about it, I think he's the kinda guy who wouldn't want the relegation on his CV. Also he's a southerner, can't think of any clubs he's managed up North so that could have been a shock to the system!

I'd go for Stuart Gray. Pains me to say , but he did a great job at Wednesday when they were skint. They were boring, but he seemed to get the best out of players and kept a lot of clean sheets with an average team. Transfer wise he was pretty shrewd too. 

Part of me would just give it to Warne.  He knows the club, he's a fan favourite.  Gray wouldn't be a bad appointment but I really don't want Tony Mowbray.

1 hour ago, clarkehwbu said:

Interesting fact - Jonson Clarke-Harris went to the school around the corner from me with quite a few of my mates!

That is pretty interesting!

Got any stories about him? From what I can tell he seems like a lovely bloke, although not exactly the sharpest tool in the box :D 

Just now, Jupjamie said:

That is pretty interesting!

Got any stories about him? From what I can tell he seems like a lovely bloke, although not exactly the sharpest tool in the box :D 

I think he's settled down a lot more now than when he was younger, but he's not the smartest no!

I played against him at youth level and you could tell he was much better than everyone else

1 minute ago, Jupjamie said:

@johnstonpickle @SpillBlood: Warne is my choice, at least for the short term. Gray isn't a bad appointment (definitely better than Mowbray) but his name is linked every time and he hasn't gotten it yet, I'd be surprised if it was him this time around tbh. 

If only this had happened a few weeks back, Paul Hurst might have been a good shout!

My turn to name drop now, he lived next door to my ex girlfriend haha.

2 hours ago, johnstonpickle said:

If only this had happened a few weeks back, Paul Hurst might have been a good shout!

My turn to name drop now, he lived next door to my ex girlfriend haha.

Everyone has such good stories! I have nothing :lol: 

Seven games to go!

7f9b912a1f5820eb1adda284c9599a73.png

Damnit. We were 2-0 up and coasting, before we gave Wednesday a free goal right before halftime. A goalkick bounced off Tom Adeyemi and went towards Dael Fry, who's backpass left Lee Camp stranded and Gary Hooper with a tap in. Cheers guys.

I bought on Dominic Ball at HT for Dael Fry - a big risk - and that risk didn't pay off, when he received a red card for a horrible two footed lunch just 16 minutes later. Wednesday made the extra man count, and Hooper scored with 11 minutes to go to rob us of two points. 

8ddced095f4c74c3b0eb35558f98d70d.png

Uh oh...

3d599eaca84c65280f273588c5c3381b.png

Hmm...

f2aaca9b34c8101fb30ae5bc3ce6e250.png

The table makes grim reading right now, although we are only inside the relegation zone on goal difference. Six games left...

Next up:

We're away at Wigan, who have already been relegated. If we don't win that...

Brentford are away at Cardiff. They could get points there.

Preston are away at Leeds, who just beat Brentford. Can one of our rivals help us out again?

EDIT: I've just seen who's managing Wigan. It's only Steve Evans...

f848063b985d3287cd65f17d3f6ceae2.png

I'm going to break something.

We're playing the worst team in the division, and it's pretty obvious they're horrendous from the first minute. We batter them. Danny Ward misses a sitter. Jon Taylor misses a sitter. Lee Frecklington has the ball bounce off the underside of the bar and out. Danny Ward misses another sitter. We get a throw in, and Darnell Fisher inexplicably ignores the four unmarked players in Wigan's half to throw it backwards to a marked Kirk Broadfoot. Broadfoot loses it. Wigan score. We lose, but not before we miss some more sitters.

2424f84bde35baa8b373f25762995a50.png

af3ae21afbedac963405a5d5503558f5.png

304933b4dc8b9b342ba1e3c260990e7c.png

We're screwed.

We've got Birmingham next. Brentford have Derby, Bristol City (who just lost 5-0 at home to Wolves...) have QPR and Blackburn have Nottingham Forest. Preston are basically safe, at this point.

Five games left...

80c224bc42545f4a15be74f86d4255ef.png

We're not dead just yet!

Two main tweaks for this game - Conor Washington comes in for the disappointing Danny Ward upfront, and we're now working the ball into the box because I'm fed up of wasting chances with stupid pot shots. Six CCCs, 4 half chances and 5 goals later, I'd say it worked.

We tore them apart. They couldn't cope with Washington at all. We should have had more, to be honest. I'm also disappointed they got 3, because all three were scrappy, and a 5-1 win would have really helped our goal difference. Still, I can't complain :D Conor Washington, you're a hero.

a4f466069408203aa4b8075085c80a47.png

Brentford are so, so lucky.

7c2067256e491a6d797acac36da35acf.png

That could be big...

d01f4e5315f3e3c82e872d902bbdb7b3.png

Here's the table with four games left...

591bce55061b4db1155c45c0b330ed16.png

We're away at Reading. That won't be easy.

Brentford are away at Barnsley, who aren't on the best of form. That's not great news for us.

Blackburn actually play Bristol City. A draw or a Bristol City win in that one would be perfect.

Preston are at home to Norwich. Surely they'll lose that.

Birmingham are at home to Burton, so they'll probably be able to pull away from the pack a bit.

Cardiff are at home to Notts Forest. A win will all but keep them up, I reckon.

It's so tight!

95287f3fb6f9bba43555b47c891a70e3.png

A pretty dull game, which they nicked with a header from a free kick that Lee Camp really should have done better with.

5e44faa06fbf658c37351e0a8232ecf6.png

Bristol City got the win, which is perfect. They're going to escape, but that holds Blackburn closer.

01bd9be23acead5f0204632ea9a212c7.png

Brentford also lost! We haven't completely screwed ourselves over, then...

fdc09c4216d116079c03dc675ba51dc3.png

That's a huge point for Preston. They should be fine now.

5d6d6c1f52a2f59d67c55776e65404f6.png

I'm ridiculously nervous. Three games left...

Next up:

We've got Ipswich. That's a nightmare game, considering we lost 6-0 to them last time.

Blackburn are away at Wolves. Surely they're not going to halt Wolves automatic promotion push?

Brentford have QPR at home. They might be able to get something from that.

2 minutes ago, oneronaldo said:

Park the bus and kick them off the park. :D

EXACTLY! hahahahaa.

6 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Thanks Bitner! At this point, I don't care how we win them, as long as we do :D 

That's how i like it. And in a FM (11 or 12) i promoted Rotherham to the EPL. Hoping you'll do the same!

Cheers,
Bitner 

2d46848e7981f748d942df481663a9a5.png

Damn. Brentford nicked a late goal to get a huge three points.

cdb162c83bf5e57f0fd3e3b6629e1f2b.png

Blackburn were on the wrong end of a battering at the hands of Wolves. A loss would keep us a point behind Blackburn, a draw would move us level on points with a slightly worse GD, and a win would take us out of the relegation zone and two points clear...

125801a792459f2663ecb27bc956615a.png

The fat lady isn't singing yet!

We had the better of the early going, but when Tyrone Mings gave away a penalty with a stupid shove from a corner, I feared the worst. Thankfully, Lee Camp was (for once) up to the task, pushing the ball outside of the post. They rebounded strongly after that but we held our own, and when Lee Frecklington picked out Izzy Brown with a delightful ball, he evaded a desperate sliding challenge to curl the ball beautifully past the keeper. We're out of the drop zone!

0669f9e1dd95ecc4f9a4afe3a98d56e7.png

Two games to go...

Rotherham's next two: A Preston, H Derby.

Blackburn's next two: H Aston Villa, A Brentford.

Cardiff's next two: H Newcastle, A Huddersfield.

Brentford's next two: A Fulham, H Blackburn.

Preston should be a decent game, but they're on fire right now - they've just beaten Newcastle! Derby are on the best form in the division besides Wolves, so I don't fancy my chances against them.

Blackburn playing Brentford is problematic for us. We're going to need to pick up points somewhere.

Cardiff have a nightmare run in. I think they might end on 48 points, so one point in our last two could - could - be enough. I'm not confident in that, though. It's going to be a wild finish.

Here's some information about the state of the club in real life right now, just to put this relegation battle into a bit of perspective:

• Recruitment at Rotherham is based on one of the smallest budgets in the second tier and, more remarkably, left largely to the manager and a few loosely assembled individuals in an era when direct rivals operate with entire departments dedicated to the pursuit of new players.
  • The training facilities are out-dated, consisting of two pitches and four metal containers and a bare minimum of equipment.
  • One of the containers houses a basic gymnasium where tall players cannot run on the treadmill because the ceiling is too low and no-one can lift weights above their heads unless they go outside.
  • Other facilities are shared with a golf club but Rotherham’s players are forced out of the dining area if the golfers have an official lunch. 

Reminder - this is a CHAMPIONSHIP team.

5 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Here's some information about the state of the club in real life right now, just to put this relegation battle into a bit of perspective:

• Recruitment at Rotherham is based on one of the smallest budgets in the second tier and, more remarkably, left largely to the manager and a few loosely assembled individuals in an era when direct rivals operate with entire departments dedicated to the pursuit of new players.
  • The training facilities are out-dated, consisting of two pitches and four metal containers and a bare minimum of equipment.
  • One of the containers houses a basic gymnasium where tall players cannot run on the treadmill because the ceiling is too low and no-one can lift weights above their heads unless they go outside.
  • Other facilities are shared with a golf club but Rotherham’s players are forced out of the dining area if the golfers have an official lunch. 

Reminder - this is a CHAMPIONSHIP team.

Jesus, that reads like an actual parody, or some kind of Monty Python sketch.

214721faf1e290a7efb227cf4f4213a9.png

I really don't like Brentford, you know. They keep nicking goals late. That will see them safe.

5b33a8eb7da1b8ce3bd21fbd10f6036e.png

Jesus. Birmingham fought back from 4-1 down to gain an invaluable point.

0389ed3858a4c034cac659bc9dffd983.png

Much better. Cardiff got battered.

f9c804e6e95cafe2f2f30f11ecbfefa5.png

Blackburn drew! If we were able to pick up a win against Preston, that would see us safe!

149fc9ecda077f5e507cfd23c4aa0688.png

You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?

Jordan Hugill gave them the lead with a header - and, at that point, Blackburn were winning and we were in the drop zone. I was bricking it. 

Joe Newell didn't exactly help matters, getting sent off for a reckless two footed lunge. That's the kind of stupid mistake that can ruin a team's season. Luckily, Izzy Brown was there to rescue the day once more. The on loan Chelsea man picked up a pass from Conor Washington from the edge of the area, and, when it didn't seem like there was much on, was able to just place it right in the bottom corner.

fa7d371a5082dc1ac0f5f4904c3d36b1.png

Let me remind you that Blackburn only lost their lead in the last 11 minutes. If they had held on, there would be three of us all on 48 points.

Problem is, we've got the exact same goal difference as Blackburn. A draw won't be enough, because if they win, they're overtaking us on GD - unless Cardiff were to lose. Here are the scenarios (I may very well mess this up):

Rotherham stay up with: A win OR draw and Blackburn loss/draw OR draw and Cardiff loss/draw OR loss and Blackburn loss/draw OR loss and Cardiff loss (presuming no huge GD swing happens)

So... we've got a good chance. Only problem:

Rotherham vs Derby

Huddersfield vs Cardiff

Brentford vs Blackburn

I really think Blackburn are going to win that one. That means that we're going to have to match or better Cardiff's result. We have Derby, they have Huddersfield. Both are competing for a playoff place. Derby beat us 3-2 last time, while Cardiff drew 2-2 with Huddersfield.

Cardiff's form is working in our favour, though...

a220a27234819dbcfdaedc3db821600f.png

They haven't won in 10. Our 3-0 loss to Cardiff stings, though. Although not as much as our 5-0 loss to them earlier in the year.

Enough reminiscing, because I'm starting to lose a bit of confidence. It's showtime.

Archived