[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

September

0fbbb749b6ef320804e951b4440ac747.png

A couple of good wins this month at home to Bristol Rovers and away to Crystal Palace, although we lost 2-1 in our 3 other matches. The Sheffield United match was particularly annoying as we took an early lead and looked good value for it for a while, but we soon got torn apart in the second half. 

29b00a719fbcdd1cc7e7026677d9b5b3.png

It's still early days and hard to see how our season will go, another month should give us a greater idea of whether we'll be battling relegation again, hopefully not though. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

f5a64d21fc81dcafade18065902694e1.png

We've picked up a new striker as Tony Butler has broken his foot, which will put him out for around 4-5 months. McCaffrey is 32 and was available since being released by Premier League side Bournemouth last season, he's been nothing more than a back-up for them for the last 3 years, but he's got 45 goals in 109 games for Northern Ireland, so he's clearly got the ability and experience we want.  I'm also looking to try and sell Vazquez for a fee now rather than lose him for free in the summer, as his contract is up and I don't really want to renew it. There's a few Spanish sides interested so hopefully one of them will cough up some cash now rather than take their chances of getting him to sign for them in January on a pre-contract. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

October

0ee10c3f149cd80ea7eefbf681982c0b.png

A pretty poor October, as we win 1, draw 1 and lose 3. It could be a long season ahead unfortunately. 

75dda64d3fbe96e0fab87f956470f35a.png

The one silver lining is that it's only really 2 relegation places we're fighting over, as Bristol Rovers are in an absolutely horrific state having only picked up 1 point in 15 games. 

d980f6fefcedf943fdfef2483272dce6.png

A real interesting one here as Palace popped up offering me an interview for the vacant job there. At a first glance I saw them in the relegation zone and got quite worried I'd be making a big step down, but then they started talking transfer and wage budgets and I couldn't believe it. Just to stay up they'd have given me £18M to spend, as well as a crazy wage budget. Their yearly wage spend is £38M, which to put it into perspective, is £30M more than we spend at Cardiff :D  I looked and they've got 6 players all on £50K p/w or more which is absolutely mental, especially as they're potentially on the verge of going down to League 1! Afougou is our highest paid player and he's on £18K p/w, he'd be the 15th best paid player if he was at Palace :D 

It's definitely a job where if I was playing a save without restrictions I would probably take, but... 

7059b0396d949be42c9dd0b8a5c3206b.png

Cardiff swooped in and kept me. You'll soon see in the November update that it's not all doom and gloom though as results have picked up a little bit. 

November

dcde0e426eb31007dfa0b9737f70560f.png

A much better month with 2 wins from 3, which included an away 2-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday and a 2-0 home victory over Northampton. 

077fc86fecdee1e773593d5a513a4346.png

This puts some breathing space between us and the relegation zone and hopefully we can carry this form into December. 

December

6371611da169dde49fec8bd0f678ab25.png

A fantastic December which saw us win our first 3 games of the month 2-1, with Afougou in fine form. Our victory run was put to a stop by Everton and we've also lost quite spectacularly to Burnley, but we did pick up another win against Brentford before the year was up. 

09e8eacbe7a09712616d5e512243effa.png

We've shot up the table and suddenly the Playoff places don't look all that far away!

We're halfway into January and Afougou has broken his ankle, this is a big blow as he will pretty much be out for the rest of the season now. 

4c1e7d7a2cd05420d435a26a2e7707ec.png

Marcus Madlung joins us on loan from Wolfsburg, he's a young striker who can hopefully help fill in for Afougou. Reece Stannard also joins, he's a young keeper, I didn't plan to replace Champod, but I saw Stannard was free and he's much better so it was a no brainer. 

e603ff6cb60a0ea87732103685872aa0.png

Andrew Guest and Vazquez have both now left the club. 

January

556df86a381680bee2c0ee2888cf71fb.png

We got a home tie to mid-table Premier League side Newcastle in the FA Cup 3rd round. I actually played a mixed team, with 3 or 4 squad players and youth prospects mixed in with some starters as I thought we had no chance in the FA Cup anyway. As it happened, we actually managed to beat Newcastle 1-0 after a stunning McCaffrey strike gave us the lead which Newcastle never pegged back. 

deb4e8e2c4247c5262e94b9a2e506aaf.png

As far as 4th Round FA Cup draws for Championship sides go, a bottom half League 1 side (albeit away from home) is probably about as good as you can hope for. I put a mixed team out and once again a Gary McCaffrey goal gave us the win to put us through. 

d9710fd7b73908f27f4f61f50e3c3b0b.png

2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses this month, about as mixed a month as you're gonna get. We showed some good character against Bristol City as we went from 1-0 up, to 2-1 down, to then get a late winner to win 3-2. Rhodri Green came off the bench against Bristol Rovers to score a winner with one of the best goals I've seen for a long while on FM. 

ecc35977e35f2496039b5f97e34b0504.png

16 games to go and the Playoffs aren't completely out of reach, although it would take some very good form to make a push for them. 

13 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Rhodri Green came off the bench against Bristol Rovers to score a winner with one of the best goals I've seen for a long while on FM. 

Any chance of a gif or a video? :D

February

90a44520d722777fdafd3ab2831ac28a.png

We got a home tie against fellow Championship side Colchester in the 5th round. Madlung gave us an early lead but Colchester leveled soon after, which led to a stalemate and a fairly unwanted replay. We could do without having to play them again and I'm not sure if away from home we can do it, but we'll give it a good go for a place in the Quarter Final. 

ee1893e5796068b1d0461a05d7ca5925.png

A fantastic February with 4 wins from 5. It started off poorly as it looked like we'd lose to Birmingham, but Marcus Madlung popped up with a late equaliser, which was the start of a fantastic month for him as he got 8 goals in 6 games, including 4 in a 5-1 demolition of Leeds. 

3436d0dd75735d0ffc9faa7fc8f00eaa.png

That win over Leeds, for the time being at least, puts us into the Playoffs! 

Oh I forgot to say, Marcus Madlung has impressed me enough that I put in a contract offer for him as he's in his last 6 months of his contract. I was pleased and surprised to see that he accepted (on a fairly low contract of only £12K), which means he will be joining us on a bosman in the summer. 

nice to see you moving in the right direction. Looks like the second automatic spot isn't out of the question if you can maintain your form. Hope you can achieve at least the playoffs this year (so long as Carl Jenkinson isn't in the commentary team)

1 hour ago, mrdanbartlett said:

I've noticed the value of players seems high, I guess this is inflation over such a long period (most of us wouldn't get past 10 in-game years).

Shame you cannot sell anyone though for these values?  I.e £10m at this level would merit a big wage transfer boost.

I'm not really sure how it works tbf. The 3 big players I signed this summer are the highest values I've seen so far so maybe if I get to sell them at some point I could make a decent amount, although I don't plan to sell any of them at this point. 

March

99acce763010bed87ac2447170d219d4.png

It took a penalty shoot-out, but we managed to get a win at Colchester which now puts us into the Quarter Final against Premier League side West Brom. 

1994a3e9c34c87973856c453c7c8c44e.png

The players were tired for our trip to West Brom following the FA Cup clash, which made a hard game all the more difficult and sadly we couldn't get a win. We struggled against Ipswich too, before beating Blackburn but then losing to 3rd place Playoff rivals Hull. 

87907a0ac531915780e79d86cf0ac0eb.png

The Championship is a tough league and so just as quickly as we found ourselves in the Playoff places, we already find ourselves out of it. At least we have the FA Cup Quarter Final to look forward to for the time being. 

,Image result for youtube logo

Gareth Bale: Hello and welcome to tonight's Deliveroo FA Cup coverage streaming live on Youtube! Remember, if you order from Deliveroo in the next 20 minutes, they will guarantee you delivery by half-time or 10 percent off your next order. For tonight's game we're here at The Hawthorns to see Uber Premier League team West Brom take on the BET365 Championship's Cardiff City. I'm joined by Wales manager Stewart Downing, Stockport County manager and 5 time FA Cup winner Frank Lampard, as well as 3 time FA Cup winner Theo Walcott! Now Stewart, you probably watch this Cardiff team more than anyone, can we expect to see a giant killing from them tonight? 

Stewart Downing: Well I think we're looking at a Cardiff side who are in a reasonable position in the Championship, you know they've not been in the greatest form in the last few weeks, but they have overachieved this year and are still in the race for the Playoff places. Whilst you look at West Brom, they're 19th in the Premier League and they're not down yet but it doesn't look too good for them. They were only promoted last season too so it's not like Cardiff will be playing what you'd consider a bona fide Premier League team, but they are away from home and it's not gonna be an easy game for them by any means. 

Gareth Bale: Theo, you were here in the studio for West Brom's 5th Round match, they came from behind to beat your old mate Cesc Fabregas' side, does that show that despite their league form in the FA Cup it's a different story? 

Theo Walcott: Yeah well I think that Cesc's Liverpool team aren't as strong as they once were, but they're still a good mid-table side who you'd have expected to beat West Brom comfortably especially when they went 1-0 up, so West Brom showed great fight to come back from that and win the game and reach this round. They would've been pretty happy to have been drawn against Cardiff at home, as you look at the other sides left in the competition, the Arsenal's, Manchester United's, the Chelsea's - these aren't teams you'd expect West Brom to have any chance against. But at the same time, I suppose Cardiff were probably pleased with the draw as well because West Brom are an easier game for them then those other sides. 

Gareth Bale: Adam Hart's side are the underdogs tonight Frank, what do you make of their chances? 

Frank Lampard: You know I've heard a lot said about Adam Hart in the last few weeks what with Cardiff's cup run and the league form that saw them burst into the Playoff places. There's been people in the media getting very excited about him saying that if he was in his 40's and had done what he's done with Blackpool, Gillingham and Cardiff - that he'd be tipped to be the next big thing to come out of the Championship, the next guy to be linked with a future in the Premier League. But realistically, the guy is 64 years old at this point, yes he did reasonably well with Gillingham, but he inherited a very strong squad when he took over from me so if anything he underachieved by taking 3 seasons to get them into League 1. 

Gareth Bale: But to win 2 EFL Cup trophies along the way, is that not good? 

Frank Lampard: That competition is irrelevant. It hasn't even had a sponsor for two decades because nobody wants to put their name to it. I don't even know why it exists anymore other than to give a chance to the big side's younger lads. People are getting very excited about Adam Hart but the guy has done nothing of value, for him to be suddenly earmarked as someone who could manage in the Premier League is baffling to me.

Stewart Downing: He did well at Blackpool though, back to back promotions from the Conference to League 1, there's not a lot of managers who have done that over the years.

Frank Lampard: But you're talking about a club the size of Blackpool. They never should have been down that far anyway. If he did that with Forest Green Rovers or Eversley & California, yeah, maybe that's a pretty big achievement, but to do it with Blackpool isn't exactly over-achieving is it? I saw people linking him with Bournemouth job when they sacked their manager at Christmas, Bournemouth were in Europe not that long ago, Hart isn't a manager that can cut it at that level at all. 

Stewart Downing: But he has already managed in both the Champions League and the Europa League with Port Talbot? That run where made the Europa League Playoff stage was what first got enough buzz around him to get a decent job in England in the first place. 

Frank Lampard: He got some flukey results in what was essentially pre-season for a lot of the clubs they played. Whenever they played a decent team they got put in their place. He somehow managed to get a job at Yeovil in League 2 and within 4 months they'd sacked him and he had to go down to the Conference which was his level. 

Stewart Downing: Did he not prove that the Football League was his level when he won back to back Conference trophies with Salford and then Blackpool? 

Frank Lampard: No because that's an easy league to win, especially with clubs like that. During my managerial career I've gained promotion from League 2 on 6 different occasions, Adam Hart does it once, then gets promoted from League 1 after capitalizing on my good work at Gillingham, now suddenly he's touted as a Premier League manager? It's nonsense and an outrage! 

Gareth Bale:  I'm going to have to stop you there lads, as the teams are coming out of the tunnel and are ready for the game...

West Brom: 

317d783f300100ebd961da9bed6027aa.png

Cardiff: 

38f63ecdc099c461413bc4d31c2f3297.png

3rd minute: Butler with the ball on the left wing for Cardiff, he's got young Neil Wilmott in the middle, he finds him, Wilmott straight back to Butler, Butler passes forward to Marcus Madlung who's got his back to goal about 30 yards out, Madlung's turned round and he's spotted Wilmott running into the box... he could be clear... IT'S NEIL WILMOTTTTTT.... it's a really poor finish in the end from close range, he should be hitting the target from there. An early chance for Cardiff though. 

19th minute: Sam Kelly running down the right wing for Cardiff, he puts a cross in but it fails to meet the first man, Karlsson the defender heads it away for West Brom, but Sam Kelly gets up and intercepts the header away from Van Boekel, the ball falls to Rhodri Green, he plays a short ball to Madlung who is just outside the area, Madlung finds McCaffrey who hits it FIRST TIME... OHHH AND HE'S SCORED!! It's a calm finish on his left foot and it's gone straight past the keeper to make it WEST BROM 0-1 CARDIFF CITY! 

35th minute: A corner kick for West Brom. They've not been in this game much, but Manuel Pons intends to change this here... Pons puts it into the middle... Will Ellis heads it away for Cardiff, but Norman wins it for West Brom in the box, he passes to EMMANUEL GAMBOOOOO.... but somehow Reto Champod keeps it out! 

44th minute: Alonso for West Brom. He's on the left hand side of his own half looking to bring the ball forward, he's going further back trying to find a pass to a fellow defender, but Stair-Withers the Cardiff right back is chasing him up the pitch, Alonso needs to make a pass here, but no, Stair-Withers has clipped him and brought him down. Is that a free-kick? The referee and the linesman don't seem to think so! And Stair-Withers is now running free on the right hand side of the West Brom box unopposed, he finds McCaffrey who passes to Madlung in the box... AND MARCUS MADLUNG HAS ABSOLUTELY SMASHED THAT ONE INTO THE TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER! It's a disastrous goal to concede by West Brom, just before half-time and Alonso's faffing around has helped make it WEST BROM 0-2 CARDIFF CITY!

Gareth Bale: It's half time and so far, so good for Adam Hart's Cardiff side. Stewart, there were some in the media who criticized Adam's strategy in the FA Cup of giving young players a chance, he's done that again tonight and he's 2-0 up against a Premier League team, does that justify it? 

Stewart Downing: Yeah I mean it's not like he's completely playing his second string, what he's done for most of the competition is put in Rhodri Green and young Neil Wilmot in the middle, Sam Kelly on the right wing, as well as Will Ellis at CB and they're generally the only changes he's made. Of course tonight he's started Reto Champod in goal when Reece Stannard is his first choice keeper, but Champod was first choice up until January and he's decided to keep playing him in the FA Cup as a thank-you, which you know shows loyalty and respect to his players which I think helps morale in a team. 

Gareth Bale: Do you look at 17 year old Neil Wilmot and 18 year old Will Ellis as future Wales players? 

Stewart Downing: Yes I think they both definitely have the potential to get there. They've both played for the U21 side a fair bit, I think Will has 15 caps and Neil has around 6 or 7, if they can keep improving I see no reason why they won't get there. It's great to see Adam Hart give these young lads the opportunities they deserve this season, they've both had substitute appearances here and there in the league, but in the cups is where they'v gotten a real chance and they've taken those chances I think. 

Gareth Bale: Theo you were of course part of that infamous League Cup final all those years ago where you scored your first Arsenal goal. Arsene Wenger showed faith in the young players who got you all the way to the final, if Cardiff do get through to Wembley and the Semi Final and face a Chelsea or a Man United, should Adam Hart continue to show the faith in them? 

Theo Walcott: Well I don't know if I'd be thinking about the Semi Final just yet, there's still 45 minutes to go, but yeah I think it's a difficult one if they do get there. You don't want to lose and want to give the fans that have traveled down the best chance to see their side win, but the younger lads he's used have helped get him to the Semi Final so maybe he will see it as a big opportunity for them and that they should start it. It's a hard one though as you'd understand why if he doesn't. 

Frank Lampard: I think it's nonsense to even discuss it. They're not there yet, West Brom are a good side and they could well come back from this. I think if Adam Hart was a winner like Jose Mourinho, he wouldn't play second string in a cup competition, he'd go all out to win it. Wenger showed with that League Cup final that if you play the kids, you lose, I remember us beating that Arsenal side and it was great. 

Gareth Bale: I'll have to stop you there Frank as the teams are coming back out for the second half. Let's hope it's a cracker!

70th minute: Pons looking to start a counter for West Brom here, he's got Alonso running clear on the left flank... he hits a long ball upfield deep into the Cardiff half and Alonso is running onto it... he passes it to Gambo and Alonso makes a run into the box as Gambo continues down the left...Gambo into the box AND ALONSO IS THERE!!! He cost his side one of the goals tonight, but he's made sure to get his name on the score-sheet and now he chases off to get that ball back down to the half-way line, because with 20 minutes to go, it's WEST BROM 1-2 CARDIFF CITY and it's game on!

92nd minute: Cardiff with a corner late on. Mithcell Wassall the substitute whips it into the box... but Jonas Lindberg heads it away for West Brom, it's van Boekel and he's smashed the ball upfield...could West Brom have one last chance on the break? Alonso sprinting down the left, he's got Grant Kelly and Gambo ahead of him in the middle... Alonso puts the ball into the box AND EMMANUEL GAMBOOOOOO....OOOOOOH he's blazed it over the bar from close range! A huge missed chance for West Brom and surely now, that's Cardiff City heading to Wembley! 

1 hour ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Looks like play offs could be a challenge to get into now, what is your run in like?

Still a top 10 or top 8 finish would be good and gives you something to build on, how are the finances?  Attendances getting slowly better now? 

It's fairly hit and miss. The games against the lower table sides are all away games: Northampton (22nd, Away), Southend (17th, Away) and Brentford (21st, Away), we've also got a very tricky trip to Reading, as well as home matches against Everton (16th), Sheffield Wednesday (9th) and the home game of the Welsh Derby with Swansea, who tbf we've actually beaten every time I've played them I think. 

Attendances haven't picked up massively, we did get 16K for the Colchester FA Cup game, but our average is still the 3rd worse in the Championship, with 14,231. Our attendance by capacity is still comfortably the worst in the league with just 42 percent. There's still work to be done there but I guess by going for the Playoffs a bit this season that may have a slight knock on effect next year. 

993936605dc43096a7a49f3162670b60.png

This is not ideal. We're down 2 of our best strikers in Afougou and Madlung, with first choice CB, O'Donnell, also out long term as well as first choice CM, Mark Nicholls, now out too. We're also down 1st choice back-up CM, Rhodri Green, as well as our back-up RM, Sam Kelly. 

5eb9ec0e4ef7a40aca311850f3d4c216.png

It would've been a big game against any one of those 3 sides, but we will face Darren Fletcher's Manchester United side at Wembley in the Semi Final. They're the holders for both the Premier League and the FA Cup and could make a case for being the best team in the entire world, let alone just England. It should be a fun game for sure no matter what happens! It will certainly be the biggest stage/game of my career so far. 

April (pre-FA Cup Semi) 

fc85fc5d69bb163ab30774ca9b5c253b.png

A really disappointing start to the month with a 1-0 loss at Northampton, which was our easiest game of the month by far as they're a really poor team. We've picked up two decent draws with Sheffield Wednesday and Reading, as well as beat rivals Swansea with a fairly late goal and put 4 past Southend in a comfortable win. 

20c7243325f8b9a62d157d997a10b9f1.png

With just 2 games to go now against Everton and 21st place Brentford, we're probably just going to miss out on the Playoffs. But if we win our final two matches, then who knows what could happen. We have the Wembley trip to face United now and we will concentrate all our efforts on giving the best account of ourselves as possible on the big stage. 

Image result for youtube logo

Gareth Bale: Good evening and welcome to tonight's Deliveroo FA Cup coverage streaming live on Youtube! Remember, if you order from Deliveroo in the next 20 minutes, they will guarantee you delivery by half-time or 10 percent off your next order. We're here at Wembley where Manchester United take on Cardiff City for a place in the final. With us tonight is 5 time FA Cup winner and current Stockport County manager, Frank Lampard and we're also joined by Wolves manager and former Manchester United captain, Rio Ferdinand. Wales manager, Stewart Downing, is also here in the studio. Now, Frank, you were quite critical of Adam Hart before the Quarter Final with West Brom, have you changed your mind now? 

Frank Lampard: You know look Gareth, don't get me wrong, I think they had a good game against West Brom, but we're talking about a really poor West Brom side. Yeah they've beaten them and they're a Premier League side, well done, but West Brom are a very poor side at the minute. I think they'll get absolutely blown away tonight. 

Gareth Bale: Rio, you played for and have watched a lot of Manchester United teams, where does this one rank? 

Rio Ferdinand: Yeah well I mean you look at what Fletch has done since he took over there 7 years ago - 4 Premier League titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 Champions Leagues - they're right up there with some of the top top Man United sides we've seen in the last 50/60 years. I think they've dropped off a bit in the Premier League this year, they're 6 points behind Chelsea and I don't think they'll catch them, but they're in the Champions League Semi Final and with Sporting Lisbon you'd expect them to make the final and possibly win it again. They're a great side. I think that Fletch has rested 1 or 2 lads tonight, but either way this team can and will easily deal with Cardiff City tonight. 

Gareth Bale: Stewart, do you think any different to these two? 

Stewart Downing: I think you can see from Adam Hart's team selection that he's doing everything he can to keep Cardiff competitive. He got a bit of slack for playing some younger players and the 2nd choice keeper in the Quarter Final against West Brom, but he's brought out the big guns tonight, partially because I think they're out of the Playoffs now, I also think they've got quite a few injuries to some players as well, but also I think he just wants Cardiff to do the best they possibly can. But you do look at the Man United team and it's not a full strength side. They've put out a 2nd string back 4 as well as their 2nd choice keeper, you look at Buijs in the central midfield role, he's only 18 and this is only his 2nd time in a Man United shirt. I can see why they'v rested some players with the Champions League more of a priority, but I think Cardiff do have a chance if some of these players don't live up to the United name tonight. 

Gareth Bale: We spoke in the last round about Adam Hart rewarding those young players who have helped get them this far, were you surprised to see them back on the bench tonight? 

Stewart Downing: No well I think it's all well and good playing a few younger squad players against West Brom, but this is Man United at Wembley, you have to go full strength and I mean, if you hold out and get a lucky goal, you've possibly got an FA Cup final and/or European football next season. I don't see that as a likely outcome but you have to give yourself every chance and with Darren Fletcher resting quite a few of his big guns, perhaps Cardiff do have a chance tonight. 

Frank Lampard: I think Adam Hart's bottled it. I think he knows they're going to get smashed regardless so is trying to save some face by keeping the score down. You look at Darren Fletcher and he's rewarded the kids and squad players who got his team this far, he's given them a day out and a start at Wembley, that's what it's all about. 

Gareth Bale: Well we'll have to see what happens as the teams are about to come out now. Here are your team sheets: 

141c4de3cb9db74c42f4d3dff24f9c3e.png

834082abd59b1057f28f8e8440cae145.png

4th minute: Visser leading the attack for United, there's plenty of blue shirts back but there's 2 red ones ahead of him, he dribbles towards goal and manouveres a few defenders towards him which frees up Williamson in a central position about 35 yards out, Williamsom with a perfectly weighted ball out wide right to Manilla who is running free and they've carved open Cardiff here... Mansilla's ball in... and Daalmeijer is there to hit it home! It's a lovely move from Man United and it's taken less than 5 minutes for them to take the lead here at Wembley! CARDIFF CITY 0-1 MANCHESTER UNITED

9th minute: Mansilla running down that right flank once again, he's got 2 in the box but it would take a very good cross to find them...he hits a low forward cross that somehow curves it way past 3 Cardiff players and straight to DAALMEIJERRRRRRR.... AND THEY'VE GOT ANOTHER ONE!!! There's not even 10 minutes on the clock and already Cardiff find themselves 2-0 down and despite starting a weakened side, Darren Fletcher is having no trouble in guiding his side to another Wembley final. It's CARDIFF CITY 0-2 MANCHESTER UNITED

27th minute: Williamson in the middle, he finds Mansilla out wide once again and he's got sooo much space out there I don't know Cardiff aren't trying to deal with this guy... Mansilla with a low ball towards Visser in the box... Visser goes for the bottom right... oh and it's clattered off of Fielding towards the opposite corner... oh and it just dinks the post and Reece Stannard manages to smother it! That was very nearly 3-0! 

34th minute: United have a free-kick on the right hand side of the Cardiff box. It's Daalmeijer who is going to hit this into the box, lots of United shirts forward, everybody for Cardiff back... the ball goes in... and OH! What's the referee seen here? He's blown his whistle and... IT'S A PENALTY!!! OHHH DISASTER FOR CARDIFF! The referee has seen some pushing and shoving in there and that's the last thing that Cardiff needed. Adam Hart is going nuts at the 4th official on the side of the pitch, he's not happy with that one but it will be a penalty nonetheless. 

It's going to be that man Daalmeijer who will take it, he's on a hat-trick...it's DAALMEIJERRRRR... he sends the keeper the wrong way and after just thirty five minutes at Wembley, Alan Daalmeijer has a hat-trick and it's CARDIFF CITY 0-3 MANCHESTER UNITED

43rd minute: Cardiff trying to make something happen. They've not been in this game at all and it's almost half-time, let alone half-time they probably want full-time at this point. Chabert hits a hopefull ball up the middle of the pitch from the halfway line, probably more just to keep it away from a red shirt than anything else, but Wallsall has managed to find it on the left wing and he passes it towards McCaffrey on the edge of the box with his back towards goal, he's got a lot to do here, but he turns past one and ohhh fair play! He has hammered that one into the top right hand corner and even if it is just for a few minutes, those Cardiff fans at least have something to shout about now! It's CARDIFF CITY 1-3 MANCHESTER UNITED

Gareth Bale: Well that was certainly an entertaining 45 minutes! Frank, it's been more or less what we were expecting from the game, but does that goal just before half-time give Cardiff half a chance in the 2nd half? 

Frank Lampard: No I mean look, they've done very well to get that goal on the counter there more or less out of nothing, it's a fantastic finish from McCafferty, but realistically I think that maybe United took their foot off the gas a bit, with it being 3-0 and they've let slip a goal there. But Darren Fletcher will absolutely hammer them at half-time for that, they'll come out all guns blazing in the 2nd half and put this game to bed once and for all within the first 10 minutes. 

Rio Ferdinand: Yeah I think I have to agree with Frank I'm afraid. A few of the United lads showed their inexperience there in letting that Cardiff goal go in, but all they've got to do is get a 4th and it's game over I'm afraid. 

Gareth Bale: Do you think there's any chance for Cardiff in the 2nd half, Stewart? 

Stewart Downing: You know it's football Gareth, I think all they've got to do is sit back, don't let United run wild on them like they did at the start of the game, if they can nick a goal from a corner or something early on in the 2nd half, then it's game on, those inexperienced United heads could drop and suddenly you've got a game! 

Gareth Bale: Well I admire your optimism Stewart, we'll have to see what happens as the teams are making their way back onto the pitch down below. Don't go anywhere...

49th minute: Man United have come out firing, it's much like the first half, they're all over Cardiff, it's Tarragona charging down the right as it looks like Cardiff have focused on stopping Mansilla on the left, it's Tarragona who has men in the middle... he puts a cross in and it's DAALMEIJER... oh and how has he missed that?! A real chance to get his 4th goal and he's fluffed his lines!

61st minute: Williamson with the ball for United, he's got Mansilla on his left, he looks to find Mansilla but it's intercepted by Craig Stair-Withers at right back. He's smashed the ball forward looking to try and start a counter attack and Kevin Roux could do just that, it's the captain Kevin Roux ducking and diving his way through the red shirts here...ohhh and he's taken down by the young lad in midfield Roy Buijs. It's a cynical foul to stop the counter, one that Roy Kean would be proud of, but the referee has blown his whistle and it will be a free-kick for Cardiff here. It's about 30 yards out and it would take something special to score from here. 

Tony Butler lining it up and you'd have thought he'd hit a ball into the box rather than shoot, but it does look like he might have a crack... it's Tony BUTLERRRRRRRR....OHHHH AND IT'S GONE IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER!!! WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?!?! IT'S A GOOD STRIKE, BUT LOOKING AT THE REPLAY YOU'D EXPECT A BETTER KEEPER TO SAVE THAT, BUT CARDIFF CITY WON'T CARE!! There's half an hour left on the clock and they're right back in this one! Darren Fletcher is raging on the touchline, because it's CARDIFF CITY 2-3 MANCHESTER UNITED 

79th minute: It's a corner for Man United here as they look for a 4th goal to try and put Cardiff down. The substitute Bolla will take this one... Bolla towards TARRAGONAAAAAA... but it's smothered away by the Cardiff defence and their fans roar them on to try and find a late equaliser somehow!