FM17: Everton - Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

IUsedToBeGreat

I came back on my Everton save - 2nd season is tough as - Players are all upset because a player is upset that I didn't put him on Free kicks (even though I did albeit behind Baines) - I haven't fought it this time or asked for extra coaches... 

Not a great second season. I am out of the Champs League at the group stages - Into the Europa League, Currently sitting in 8th in the league with 8 defeats... its all very close BUT - Out of both cups to man City - Like I say a struggle... I will probably get the sack.

As I say, I still can't increase the coaches at the club - I cant get an affiliate club in order to raise the profile of the club - It's all quite successful yet the board aren't playing ball... 

I am being offered the chance to interview for other jobs - Napoli and Valencia (again) - but have declined... I get the feeling that it's tough to create a dynasty in this version lads

Anyone happen to catch @Miles Jacobson on Talksport last week? Fantastic run down memory lane for Champ/FM - Is there a down memory lane thread do you know? It was a truly great hour of radio with Danny Kelly...  I've been a gamer since the Atari in 1979 (not that that had footy manager games on it)... Id like to share 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/11/2016 at 14:17, lufc said:

Half way through the second and season and need some more depth. Just left Leeds to become Everton manager and have a decent squad just need back up. Letting Ashley Williams go, 70K a week and he's too slow for my liking. Lennon is another I'm selling. Need a replacement striker in case Lukaku gets injured 

Koumar Babacar is a great striker (not a target man)... Shani Tarashaj is also very good off of the bench season 2 - again not a target man though

21 hours ago, TheTinkerMan said:

Only grievance is I'm losing Barkley on a free to Roma in the summer after he wouldn't sign a new contract and with a lack of transfer funds I may struggle to replace him.

Ooof - thats a HUGE loss - I guess that is the best thing in my game is that I have tied everyone down on a long contracts (Coleman, Barkle, Lukaku)... I am not renewing Baines at 33 I think its time to let him go - I have signed Mitchell Dijks and Ryan Sessegnon as his replacements... No doubt this will be the next BIG thing that will cause squad harmony to be buggered!

I'm almost into Jan of my first season.  Actually got sacked first time around.  I'm currently 3rd playing a 4-3-3.  I can't get Lukaku to score for the life of me.  I've played him as AF, DLF-S, CF-A and S.  Not sure what to do with him.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Becanes said:

I'm almost into Jan of my first season.  Actually got sacked first time around.  I'm currently 3rd playing a 4-3-3.  I can't get Lukaku to score for the life of me.  I've played him as AF, DLF-S, CF-A and S.  Not sure what to do with him.

Hide contents

Think Koeman is having the same issues........

This Everton lark is pretty easy but fun.

I told the board I will qualify for Europa and they gave me 57 mil.

Sold Mirallas for 18m upfront plus 8m instalments) to PSG, Gibson, Cleverley, Kone, Niasse, Lennon etc and I doubled my budget almost. With the following squad I won the EPL and EFL Cup and lost to Hull in FA Cup final (almost intentionally as I played a very weak team when I didnt have to) in the first season:

GK: Stekelemburg/Lafont (who is actually pretty great!)

LB: Baines/Tierney (and from Deember onwards Garbutt)/Lato and Pellegrini (kept in the under 23s)

CB: Williams (sold in January)/Jagielka (sold January)/ Elvedi (bought January)/Keane/Wahlqvist/Funes Mori/Onguene(kept in under 23s)/Mere

RB: Coleman/Peruzzi

DM/CM: Melegoni/Walace/Gueye/Romero/Barkley/McCarthy

Wingers/AMRs: Deulofeu/Bentancur/Lozano/Promes (who actually is used as and trined to be SS)/Bolasie/Depay (loan)/Guedes (loan)

CF: All used like Promes: Lukaku/Kuki/Enner

Plus Leo Jaba and Diakhate

Used mainly my new strikerless 4132 narrow

going to be starting my Everton career over the weekend, in a challenge with two friends to see who can do better. Looking forward to the struggle of keeping everyone in the squad happy! The coaching thing seems like a real issue as i like to build my staff up but 5 coaches seems a bit light, will have to see.

4 hours ago, adj said:

going to be starting my Everton career over the weekend, in a challenge with two friends to see who can do better. Looking forward to the struggle of keeping everyone in the squad happy! The coaching thing seems like a real issue as i like to build my staff up but 5 coaches seems a bit light, will have to see.

http://www.fmscout.com/a-football-manager-2017-best-coaches.html

https://mrkeysirensie.wordpress.com/2016/10/29/fm17-player-staff-role-search-filter/

Started my second season. Sold Baines, Stekelemburg, McGeady, Coleman and Funes Mori. Bought Iorfa, Lemos(sp) - South American young cb from Spanish team (I think Las Palmas) and Vietto (wanted to buy Ayoze but his terms were ridiculous). I also bought Pickford to be my back up GK.

I have a lot of money left to buy people but Ive already got a pretty great (and settled) squad as you can see from my last post above plus Im projected to breach FFP for England (something to do with my wage budget which I cant for the life of me understand).

Already won the Charity shield beating Arsenal 4-2 and currently in 7th place 4 points off first after 2 draws and 2 victories (including a 5-2 demolition of Man City which is actually worse than what I did to them in the first season where I beat them 7-2!).

After a CB start of third season. Got Mangala on a free (Walcott too :lol:) but he's injured and Jagielka is struggling with the pace. Got about 40m to spend. Current team looks like this

Ruffier/ regen (I think)

coleman/ Diks

Funes Mori/Galloway

Mangala

charlie Taylor/Baines

mccarthy/recio

Barkley

Kouyate 

Batshuayi/Bony

Lukaku

Domenico Berardi/Walcott  

Well I finished the second season and a treble of sorts to celebrate, Won the Charity Shield, Carling Cup and Europa League so that's 4 trophies in 2 seasons.

Finished 5th in the league missing out to City on goal difference but qualified for the Champions League having won the Europa League.

Berahino scored 46 goals in all competitions but because I didn't have him on penalties he handed in a transfer request and I had to crumble and sell him to Spurs for £30m, I really hate when you lose a player you know you could sell for more if they weren't unhappy.

Brought in Butland, Ryan Sessegnon so far as well as a few promising youngsters.

I had to do it, Rooney for £1m was a bargain so looking forward to the third season.

1 hour ago, TheTinkerMan said:

Well I finished the second season and a treble of sorts to celebrate, Won the Charity Shield, Carling Cup and Europa League so that's 4 trophies in 2 seasons.

Finished 5th in the league missing out to City on goal difference but qualified for the Champions League having won the Europa League.

Berahino scored 46 goals in all competitions but because I didn't have him on penalties he handed in a transfer request and I had to crumble and sell him to Spurs for £30m, I really hate when you lose a player you know you could sell for more if they weren't unhappy.

Brought in Butland, Ryan Sessegnon so far as well as a few promising youngsters.

I had to do it, Rooney for £1m was a bargain so looking forward to the third season.

Where did you play Berahino?  Through the middle or on the flanks?

22 hours ago, TheTinkerMan said:

I really hate when you lose a player you know you could sell for more if they weren't unhappy.

So why did you sell him then?! I cant help being shocked every time I see FM players being "forced" to sell players. You should stick to your guns and refuse to sell. Sooner than you think they get over it.

I had M. Keane threaten to leave me cos I wasn't playing in his preferred position (whatever that is). I ignored him and a few weeks later I got the message that he is no longer upset as the team is doing well. This is just one example of many!

18 hours ago, MANUMAD said:

So why did you sell him then?! I cant help being shocked every time I see FM players being "forced" to sell players. You should stick to your guns and refuse to sell. Sooner than you think they get over it.

I had M. Keane threaten to leave me cos I wasn't playing in his preferred position (whatever that is). I ignored him and a few weeks later I got the message that he is no longer upset as the team is doing well. This is just one example of many!

Because unlike Keane, Berahino has a history in real life of being a bit disruptive in the dressing room and when he came to me demanding a move after I rejected the first Spurs bid he threatened to get other players involved. Therefore, I took the decision to sell a bad apple as I didn't want the team harmony to be affected.

No player is irreplaceable, don't get me wrong 46 goals in a season will be hard to beat but I'd rather have players that want to play for the club.

55 minutes ago, TheTinkerMan said:

Because unlike Keane, Berahino has a history in real life of being a bit disruptive in the dressing room and when he came to me demanding a move after I rejected the first Spurs bid he threatened to get other players involved. Therefore, I took the decision to sell a bad apple as I didn't want the team harmony to be affected.

No player is irreplaceable, don't get me wrong 46 goals in a season will be hard to beat but I'd rather have players that want to play for the club.

Well ok ... but all players who get annoyed with me threaten to get other players involved. They do but a team meeting and a few weeks later all is back to normal.

BTW In January 2018 I sold McCarthy and bought Zakaria making a profit. I also bought a youngster winger with good stats whose name escapes me (bit silly maybe as my strikerless set up doesn't use wingers but I do use wingers at cm despite them being red cos of their pace and other technical attributes. I sometimes even use them at SS for the same reason). Im in 2nd 2 points off Utd at first and have a game in hand. After winning my CL group I was drawn to meet Bayern (!) which is upcoming. Im in the final of the EFL but lost to QPR in the 4th round of the FA Cup despite having 68% possession and 19 shots on goal to their 5. My mistake for not changing my tactics midway through the match.

Had to recall Kuki from his loan at Huddersfield (about which he wasn't happy) as Barkley is out for 4/5 months ...

Firs season completed and not too unhappy. Pipped Liverpool to 4th place on the last day of the season thanks to them going down 3-0 at West Ham then beat City in the FA final AET, my third victory over them this season. Form was patchy but didn't really drop below 8th i think. Thankfully I got Preicado in as Lukaku's injuries meant he started just 9 games all season. Had a very lucky draw in each round of the cup with Watford the only Prem team i faced and that was in the semis. Looking forward to the second season providing i can bring in a RB, CB and attacking midfileder unless some of the youngsters i brought in can step up. Got Gibbs coming as cover/rotation with Baines and Berahino coming for £3m compensation after his contract was up though looking on here I'm not sure whether to do it! Lukaku, Barkkley and Coleman were all unhappy i rejected bids form Chelsea, City and Spurs respectivelty so had to promise Champs league qusalification which we have done and i;ve recenved messages that all three are now happy to stay

players.png

gomal.png

final round.png

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 12:42, Welshace said:

@MANUMAD

If I have to edit any more of your posts due to bad language, i'll result in infractions....  cheers.

Whoops sorry. I get confused cos I concurrently post on fm base where that is not too much of an issue ...

I assure you that generally Im an angel:rolleyes:

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:52, MANUMAD said:

Well ok ... but all players who get annoyed with me threaten to get other players involved. They do but a team meeting and a few weeks later all is back to normal.

BTW In January 2018 I sold McCarthy and bought Zakaria making a profit. I also bought VLASIC (bit silly maybe as my strikerless set up doesn't use wingers but I do use wingers at cm despite them being red cos of their pace and other technical attributes. I sometimes even use them at SS for the same reason). Im in 2nd 2 points off Utd at first and have a game in hand. After winning my CL group I was drawn to meet Bayern (!) which is upcoming. Im in the final of the EFL but lost to QPR in the 4th round of the FA Cup despite having 68% possession and 19 shots on goal to their 5. My mistake for not changing my tactics midway through the match.

Had to recall Kuki from his loan at Huddersfield (about which he wasn't happy) as Barkley is out for 4/5 months ...

Got through to the end of the first transfer window of season 2 last night. Thought I was happy with my transfers till I realised that I'd only spent money on back up players and first XI is going to be pretty much the same as last season. But the squad is healthier now. Could've sold Donnarumma for £47 to PSG but the only decent GK to replace him was Hart for £29 so wouldn't have left me much to improve elsewhere  

Pre season went well, lukaku finally turned up with a trick in the charity shield. First up Pep at home but my hoodoo over him has continued and the confidence flowing through the club allowed us to win 4 from 4 and only a 91st minute icardi penalty for united denied us top spot heading into the international break. 

Tough champs league qualifier against shakhtar successfully negotiated but it's gonna take something special to get out of my group and even third place will take a big effort but bring it on!

IMG_6659.PNG

IMG_6660.PNG

IMG_6661.PNG

IMG_6662.PNG

Finished my 2nd season. Won the EFL vs Arsenal in final. Got booted out of the FA by QPR having had 29 shots to their 4 and still lost 1-0. Came 2nd in the league by 1 point off Man Utd (due to my stupidity: have a marginally better GD than them yet managed to lose at home vs WBA in my penultimate match where having managed to equalise in the 85th minute having gone overload, I continued and conceded in the last minute when a draw would have been enough to give me the league!). In the CL having topped (comfortably) a group containing Porto and Leverkusen (both over powered/rated by FM17) and Club Brugge I was rewarded by getting Bayern. Lost 1-0 away and beat them 3-2 at home (where I missed a number of sitters).

Finances continue to be restricted so I only get 30% from player sales. Sold Peruzzi (21m), Promes (40m) and Garbutt (11m) and brought Fosu-Mensah (loan) and Kenny Tete and currently trying to buy Andrija Zivkovic and/or Lautaro Martinez (the latter is giving me WP problems). Whoever comes will have to be retrained as SS to fit my strikerless tactic (Lukaku has already retrained as SS as have Bolasie and Tarashaj and currently also retraining Lozano and Deulofeu whose pace will make them very effective there)

17 minutes ago, toffeemax said:

show me your tactics... NOW!!

Since you asked so nicely....:lol:

Here it is. I developed it in my first save with Man Utd and it's worked really well for me at Lyon and now Everton as well. Its built around your pacy CWBs putting it on a plate for you IFs and your CF. I also give most of my players instructions as well. I can go into it in more detail later if you like but here's some screenies for you just now.

Everton_  Overview-3.png

English Premier League_ Overview Stages.png

Everton_  Senior Fixtures.png

Everton v Leicester_ Everton Team Selection Overview.png

15 minutes ago, Kevmcc87 said:

Since you asked so nicely....:lol:

Here it is. I developed it in my first save with Man Utd and it's worked really well for me at Lyon and now Everton as well. Its built around your pacy CWBs putting it on a plate for you IFs and your CF. I also give most of my players instructions as well. I can go into it in more detail later if you like but here's some screenies for you just now.

Everton_  Overview-3.png

English Premier League_ Overview Stages.png

Everton_  Senior Fixtures.png

Everton v Leicester_ Everton Team Selection Overview.png

That was me being nice...! Many thanks, so many problems with my many everton saves!! I just want to do well with us!

Here's my PIs. 

GK - Fewer risky passes, distribute to full backs, roll it out, distribute quickly,

BPD - Mark tighter

DM - Shoot less often, mark tighter

APa - Get further forward

After that it's up to you if you want add PIs to your IFs and CF. I change mine depending on the opposition players.

started a Everton save last night, Barkley  kept complaining about wanting to move to a bigger club, he went to Tottenham for 36m, then Oviedo made some right dodgy tackles and kept getting reds so so him to wba for 8.5m, Aaron Lennon next went to monaco for 9.75m, Barry to Celtic 775k end of contract. sold off 45m worth of players

brought in

Youri Tielemans for 17.25m, Ricardo Carvalho (cover) on a FT, Michael Keane 17m, Julian Green 2.5m, Alexander Isak 1.2m, Andre Dozell 2m, William Yarbrough 2m got in 43.5m worth of players.

2nd in the prem at the moment on 31 October of the 1st season

fixtures so far.png

The core of the squad for years should be Lukaku, Barkley, Bolasie and Gueye. Maybe also Deulofeu.

The first two will make noises to leave. You get a huge transfer budget plus you can sell loads of players in first transfer window. This means you can bring in pretty good players as people are finding out and comfortably finish in the CL positions. The first two players will make noises about leaving from day one. Easiest way to keep them: promise them you' ll finish in the CL positions! I did that and they never bothered me again.

1 hour ago, MANUMAD said:

The core of the squad for years should be Lukaku, Barkley, Bolasie and Gueye. Maybe also Deulofeu.

The first two will make noises to leave. You get a huge transfer budget plus you can sell loads of players in first transfer window. This means you can bring in pretty good players as people are finding out and comfortably finish in the CL positions. The first two players will make noises about leaving from day one. Easiest way to keep them: promise them you' ll finish in the CL positions! I did that and they never bothered me again.

that last paragraph worked for me, Coleman as well. Not heard a peep from them since qualyfing even though it was only for the play off (which ive won). Plenty of players you cna get rid of and then spreading incoming transfers over 24 months at least helps you be able to bring more in making champs league relativel easy though it took me till the final day to pip liverpool to 4th. A mate of mine won the title on his last day in the first season

I would highly recommend getting Pulisic and Romagnoli. Both have been absolutely immense for me and along with Barkley, Lukaku, Baines and Coleman, have turned me into a formidable force in the
PL. Quite lucky that most other teams are having a bit of a struggle with form though.

Alessio Romagnoli_ Overview Profile.png

Christian Pulisic_ Overview Profile.png

English Premier League_ Overview Stages-2.png

Well, we did it. Tottenhams collapse was our gain as we managed to grind out good results in important games and go on to win the league very comfortably in the end. Lukaku was just phenomenal all season and he's been tied down on a long term contract along with Barkley. Pulisics assists count was absolutely excellent, the full backs played their part brilliantly in my system and Jags and Romagnoli were rocks at the back. All in all really happy with most of my players. Valencia couldn't stay fit along with Bolasie so those 2 will be departing and Barry will be joining them. Youth intake was crap so I'm gonna hunt for a young centre-half and a young right inside forward I can blood next season. Only major first team change I'm planning on is at GK. Stekks was good all season but age is not on his side and I'm not convinced at all with Joel. Donnarumma seems the obvious choice but after getting a budget of 18 mil for season 2, I need to see how much I can get for Bolasie.

English Premier League_ Overview Profile.png

Everton_ Players Players-2.png

Only slight downer to the season was after getting to the final of the FA cup, we capitulated to City. Hopefully next year we can go one better.

Man City v Everton_ Pitch Split.png

I've been playing around with Everton since 17 came out, and I'm about to start a new save that I want to stick to, but I want to score more. I've been consistently finishing top 5 and been great defensively, but we're always middle of the pack when it comes to scoring goals. Here's how my 16/17 team tends to look:

Lukaku - CF A
Deulofeu - IF (S) | Barkley - AP (S) | Bolasie - W (S)
Gueye - CM (D) | McCarthy - BWM (S)
Baines - FB (S) | Jagielka - CD (D) | Williams - CD (D) | Coleman - FB (S)
Stekelenburg - GK (D)

Instructions: Control-flexible, fairly wide, retain possession

Lukaku has been consistently scoring in the late teens/early 20's, but I'd like to get more goals/assists out of the three behind him, as they struggle to reach double figures in either department. I'd like to get some more assists from Baines and Coleman too. Has anyone got any tips for how I can get my players scoring/assisting more, without sacrificing defensive solidarity? Thanks!

8 hours ago, guster73 said:

I've been playing around with Everton since 17 came out, and I'm about to start a new save that I want to stick to, but I want to score more. I've been consistently finishing top 5 and been great defensively, but we're always middle of the pack when it comes to scoring goals. Here's how my 16/17 team tends to look:

Lukaku - CF A
Deulofeu - IF (S) | Barkley - AP (S) | Bolasie - W (S)
Gueye - CM (D) | McCarthy - BWM (S)
Baines - FB (S) | Jagielka - CD (D) | Williams - CD (D) | Coleman - FB (S)
Stekelenburg - GK (D)

Instructions: Control-flexible, fairly wide, retain possession

Lukaku has been consistently scoring in the late teens/early 20's, but I'd like to get more goals/assists out of the three behind him, as they struggle to reach double figures in either department. I'd like to get some more assists from Baines and Coleman too. Has anyone got any tips for how I can get my players scoring/assisting more, without sacrificing defensive solidarity? Thanks!

Hi Id swap Barkely and Lukaku mentality... AP A and CF S. Or try AM A for Ross. I've has great success with CF S and AM A.

Baines I'd make WB A that get him forward overlapping IF. 

In January of 2nd season and City has just come in with a bid of 75 mil for Lukaku. I'm seriously tempted as Dembele I got in from Celtic has been pretty good and that 75 mil would go a long way to strengthening my squad for next season as I cant see me getting a decent budget at all if this year was anything to go by. Anyone have any experience of selling Lukaku. What did you get? should i hold out for more. I rejected a couple of bids already and he's not become unhappy funnily enough. |I thought he would be kicking up a fuss but his new contract and us winning the league last year has seemed to keep him content.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Everton saves. I've only just started my long term save, 10 games to go in the first season and I'm sitting 5th with a 9 point gap to 4th place. 

Really shocking away form with only 2 wins, my home form has been excellent saving my season so far. Just turned the corner with a new tactic so hopefully will be making a late push for 4th place, also have a FA Cup Semi Final to look forward to against Watford. The other semi final is Villa V N'castle so I'm really hopeful of some silverware. 

I'll post some pics of my transfers a little later. 

Finally seem to have got a decent save going. Lost in the EFL cup final to West bloody Brom - Chadli loves scoring against me, and only me it seems by his stats!

Using a 4-3-1-2 formation, looking to attack through the centre, so far so good, and rather solid at the back. Funes Mori has been unreal so far. Currently residing in 6th place, 2 points off 4th after 25 games or so.

Finished first season in 4th 1 pt a head of Liverpool and 2 points ahead of 3 other teams.  Switched to a 4-4-2 to get some much needed results in the last couple of games.  Now looking to try a 3-4-1-2.  Hope I'm not doing anything too drastic.

1 hour ago, toffeemax said:

Well, winless run over the last 8 games or so led me to finish 6th when 4th was a serious possibility. So frustrating. Apparently in the europa league though despite winners and finalists of both efl cup and fa cup being out of the qualification places.

I feel your pain, had a similar experience myself finishing 6th. I also had the pain of losing the FA Cup Final to championship winners Newcastle. 

I was fuming going to bed last night :mad:

29 minutes ago, ting2004 said:

I feel your pain, had a similar experience myself finishing 6th. I also had the pain of losing the FA Cup Final to championship winners Newcastle. 

I was fuming going to bed last night :mad:

Newcastle won mine as well, beating barnsley in the process, very odd final!!

I lost the efl final in my first seaosn also, to west bloody brom (they were relegated)

Archived