[FM17] Football, fire and ice: The inside story of Iceland's remarkable rise.

Jimbokav1971

7 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Lot of work to get the squad on track mentally.

I think I can safely say that it's the biggest challenge that I have ever undertaken on FM. We all know that you can win with small clubs, but if I could get this club to the stage where the squad personality is very professional and we are producing our own Model Pro players, then I will be a very happy chappy. I would like to think that a by-product of that will be success in terms of the players produced and of course success on the pitch.

My ultimate goal is still to produce a player via our academy who goes on to win the Ballon d'Or:eek:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

It might have been in the Cup, at home, against lower league opposition, but here we go. 

ISL%20Clean%20sheet_zpshry7ldnu.png

Interestingly, we also received the "Parked the bus" achievement in the same game. How does that work? :idiot:

I got the same after my first game, must be a bug.

Youth Day. August 2016

If you had asked me before this intake, what I would want from my perfect intake, I think the only thing that the FM Gods did not grant me was 16 Model Pro personalities. It's really that good. (Oh, and I would have wished for a son, but let;s not be too greedy).

1. We got a Serbian to pay homage to my Partizan save with FM16. 

2. We got a Sammarinese player to pay homage to my San Marino roots, (ish).

3. We got one, two, three, four, 5.0 PA players. 4! (FOUR). I have never had 4x 5.0 PA players in any save at any level ever.

4. We got an Engishman, and a decent one at that. (He's immediately the best GK at the club).  

ISL%20Youth%20Day%20Aug%202016_zpsaegksv

As there are 4x 5.0 PA players in this intake, I will gloat and show them all

ISL%2016a%20Darri%20Bal%202016_zpsztnoix

ISL%2016b%20Heimir_zpsxutjfdht.png

ISL%2016c%20Arnar%20Agnar_zpsn5olnhqp.pn

ISL%2016d%20Jake%20ENG%20F.Sport_zpsunsn

6 hours ago, RCtheOnly said:

I can't remember the standard of the Icelandic leagues since my last save there but if I'm not completely wrong some of those youth intake players should be able to get some decent time from the bench right?

Some decent time? Yes. 

From the bench? No. 

I'm not actually playing games. I'm using the IR button on a skin. Where as the usual style would be to put the players on the bench and put them on in the 2nd half, I can't do that because if I do, they will never come on. Instead, what I have to do is play them from the start and then trust that the Ass Man will withdraw them at half-time if they are causing us to struggle. 

6 of them have made their debuts in the last month of the season and they have shared a total of 16 appearances in that time. 

Edited by Jimbokav1971

41 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Some decent time? Yes. 

From the bench? No. 

I'm not actually playing games. I'm using the UR button on a skin. Where as the usual style would be to put the players on the bench and put them on in the 2nd half, I can't do that because if I do, they will never come on. Instead, what I have to do is play them from the start and then trust that the Ass Man will withdraw them at half-time if they are causing us to struggle. 

6 of them have made their debuts in the last month of the season and they have shared a total of 16 appearances in that time. 

Ah, yes. All the better for their development I suppose; I'll have to stay tuned to see how their doing.

Board Elections

The all female board is gone, and with it my philosophy of promoting Youth through the ranks. 

ISL%20Takeover%20survival_zpsftufa6mb.pn

The new board have given me a lower league (ISL) club as a feeder, and proposed a new contract, but as yet that's it. (Oh, they have also consolidated the debt into a loan). That we are building debt at this stage is worrying because I am well under wage budget and not spending cash anywhere else. 

Commenting just to mark this so I keep following it. I must admit I got a bit lost with your Serbian save, as I couldn't make sense of all the nicknames and the style of updating, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. :D

Boo for discrimination against wrong-sided wingers. :(

5 hours ago, noikeee said:

Commenting just to mark this so I keep following it. I must admit I got a bit lost with your Serbian save, as I couldn't make sense of all the nicknames and the style of updating, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. :D

Boo for discrimination against wrong-sided wingers. :(

Apologies for the nickname thing. I've always used nicknames to help me and it's just sort of developed to what it is now. I don't think I could play without them now.

My style of updating is a bit random and my thread is one that you either have to read every update, or alternatively just pick and choose what you read in isolation. The only bit that is sort of continuous throughout the thread is the updating of the "selected player from each intake. It's really not about the silverware so if and when I get to the point that I am dominating (ISL) football, I will probably post very little about it and all the focus will be about Europe. Until then, The (ISL) competitions is all I've got, (plus the development guff). 

As for the discrimination..... not sorry at all. :lol:

Just going back slightly, and I am likely completely off the mark here. I had similar issues with players coming through with low determination on my Wakehurst career. After four seasons of struggle with this, with an assistant who was a terrible man-manager, I soon had three seasons whereby I won back to back league titles, and then pulled off a crazy escape from relegation on the final day. The man I replaced my assistant with was a much better Man Manager than either me or my ex-assistant. It may have purely been a coincidence but some of my players personalities did move away from 'low determination' over those three years, and I am wondering if that is accountable?

Interested to know what you guys think ( @Jimbokav1971 @Jupjamie @Ceching You Out ) as there may be no correlation whatsoever and I just got three years of luck! Interesting point of discussion as I'm planning a similar sort of save once I get FM17. 

:thup:

3 minutes ago, Black and Yellow said:

Just going back slightly, and I am likely completely off the mark here. I had similar issues with players coming through with low determination on my Wakehurst career. After four seasons of struggle with this, with an assistant who was a terrible man-manager, I soon had three seasons whereby I won back to back league titles, and then pulled off a crazy escape from relegation on the final day. The man I replaced my assistant with was a much better Man Manager than either me or my ex-assistant. It may have purely been a coincidence but some of my players personalities did move away from 'low determination' over those three years, and I am wondering if that is accountable?

Interested to know what you guys think ( @Jimbokav1971 @Jupjamie @Ceching You Out ) as there may be no correlation whatsoever and I just got three years of luck! Interesting point of discussion as I'm planning a similar sort of save once I get FM17. 

That's interesting. I've never thought about the impact an assistant manager could have on the determination of the squad as well as the players.

The description for determination is this: 'How quickly a player gives up during a game'. Essentially, the higher a player's determination, the longer they'll give 100% during a match. That seems to be the only thing determination actually affects. Personally, I wouldn't attribute your sudden change in fortunes to determination (unless you kept combing back from a goal or two down?), but that incredible escape you had could actually be down to determination. I wonder if it's an attribute that resets at the start of every game, or if it carries over the course of the season based on how things are going?

Very interesting.

I've never noticed an Assistant Manager having a direct impact on personalities, but I can think of a indirect way that might happen. If you're relying on your Assistant for advice on team talks like many do, you're more likely to "push the right buttons". That can lead to players playing at the peak of their abilities which can lead to success like your ridiculous escape.

Determination, like consistency or big match-ness, can change over time as a result of in-game events. I wouldn't be surprised if proper motivation makes the players play with greater determination than they actually have and that in turn incrementally increases determination.

Speculative, but not outrageous to hypothesize that (plus other small changes) would be enough to get away from "Low Determination".

I wouldn't say I came from a goal down more regularly than I've seen before, but I very much gave a free reign to my assistant in terms of dealing with players and such - so whether his ability to deal with individuals had an effect on their levels of determination, I don't know. I don't know a lot about it, apart from the fact it was annoying as hell seeing good youngsters come through then seeing they have a terrible personality! 

Spirited x2 = Pro 11-17.
Spirited x2 = Pro 11-17.
Sporting x4 = Pro 5-20.
Sporting x4 = Pro 5-20.
Sporting x4 = Pro 5-20.
Sporting x4 = Pro 5-20.
F.Amb x6 = Pro 1-14.
F.Amb x6 = Pro 1-14.
F.Amb x6 = Pro 1-14.
F.Amb x6 = Pro 1-14.
F.Amb x6 = Pro 1-14.
F.Amb x6 = Pro 1-14.
F.Det x 1 = Pro 1-14.
F.Loyal x1 = Pro 1-14.
F.Sporting x14 = Pro 1-14.
F.Pro x1 = Pro 15-20
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Balanced x20 = Pro 1-14.
Low Det x2 = Pro Pro 5-20.
Low Det x2 = Pro Pro 5-20.
Temp x1 = Pro 1-10.

Edited by Jimbokav1971

I'm no Mathematician but.....

If we assume just for a minute that the Temp x1 actually has the max Pro possible at 10. 

And we assume that F.Amb x6, F.Det x1, F.Loyal x1, F.Sport x14, & Bal x20 all have the max Pro possible at 14.

Then that gives us a total Pro score of 1x10 + 42x14 = 10+588 = 598 and we divide that by 43 to give us an average Pro rating of 13.67.

Now we need to get the average up to over 15 for this to work and what have we got left to add. 

Spirited x2 has a max of 17 so let's use that and see what happens. 598+34=632/45= 14.04.

Now we just have left the following. Sport x4, F.Pro x1 & L.Det x2 which all have a max of 20. 

Let's assume that all of these players have 20 and do the maths again. 

7x20=140+632= 772/52 = 14.85

Now assuming I'm not stupid, how is it even theoretically possible for my squad personality to be F.Pro, if the maximum Pro'ness taken as an average doesn't make it to F.Pro levels?

:stop:

Doing some very, very rough maths by taking the middle value for all their potential professionalism ratings, it averages out to 8.15 professionalism per player. Does that scream fairly professional? Not at all, in my opinion.

As far as I can see it, there are three possibilities:

A: The staff also have a big impact on the average mentality on the squad. This is possible, in my opinion, but it will be easy enough to test just by adding your staff members to this list.

B: Your players are mostly at the top end of the scale for professionalism. Certainly possible, but for some reason I'm just not buying it.

C: The game is calculating/displaying the average squad personality wrong. Unfortunately, I think that this may be the case :( 

EDIT: Well, looks like your own maths work proved B wrong. A or C it is, then. I'm thinking C :( 

Edited by Jupjamie

D: The Squad personality indicator doesn't directly correlate to the player personality "Fairly Professional", and just means that there's a good level of professionalism amongst the squad.

For example, my squad personality is Professional, yet I have only 2 in my first team, 3 in my U-19s, and 1 in my B team, and a great deal of my players are fairly professional or other personalities that have a good level of professionalism.

New 1 Year Contract. Sep 2016.

Surviving the takeover was a result actually, because when they arrived they thought I was under-performing. We only lost 1 of the last 5 games, but we also only won 1 too.

As important as the contract itself is, (well maybe not THAT important), the fact that they agreed to re-introduce my philosophy of nurturing home grown players players is pretty pivotal to the save. 

ISL%20New%201%20Year%20contract%20Sep%20  

22 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

D: The Squad personality indicator doesn't directly correlate to the player personality "Fairly Professional", and just means that there's a good level of professionalism amongst the squad.

For example, my squad personality is Professional, yet I have only 2 in my first team, 3 in my U-19s, and 1 in my B team, and a great deal of my players are fairly professional or other personalities that have a good level of professionalism.

If that's the case, and you could well be correct), that's a change from previous FM's. Where as a lot of people probably don't pay much attention to their "Squad Personality" level, I obviously take a keen interest in mine. In FM14 I got it to Ultra-Pro with my San Marino save, but I literally had a squad full of Model Pro's. 

That being said, "Ultra-Pro is not actually a personality is it? That in itself would suggest that things were done slightly differently in the past, so they are probably also being done slightly differently now. 

I have created a thread in GQ asking people to reply with their Squad Personality. If this is of interest to you, (and even if it isn't but you would like to help me understadn how this part of the game works), then please click on the following link and add your Squad Personality. 

Thanks in advance to those that do help. It really is appreciated. :thup:

End of Season 1 Update. Sep 2016.

League Table

ISL%20League%20Table%20Sep%202016_zpsavc

League Graph.

League Fixtures

Cup Fixtures.

ISL%20Cup%20Fixtures%20Sep%202016_zpsfof

Player of the season, who was also Young Player of the Season, Top goal-scorer. Division 1 Top goal-scorer, Most MOM awards and had been, (unsurprisingly), added to the clubs favoured personnel list. Hákon Ingi (Bal)

ISL%20Haacutekon%20Ingi%20Bal%20Sep%2020

We did ok and comfortably avoided the drop in the end, and hopefully we should be able to push on from here. I will be keen that I do not suffer from "Regensberg Syndrome" again, (second season sacking), and that's all I really care about at this stage. I would obviously like to improve on last seasons points tally, but really anything bar getting sacked is ok by me for the first few years.

Kriss watch. (Yes, I know they are not called Kriss anymore, but I don't know what to call them so I think I'll keep calling them Kriss'). :kriss:

If anyone wants to know why Kriss' are called Kriss, then please read here

Kriss 1. (16a) Darri (Bal) (2016) *.

ISL%2016a%20Darri%20Bal%202016%20Sep%202

Season 1. 1st Part-Season. 3 appearances before getting injured

On 10/24/2016 at 11:50, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm no Mathematician but.....

If we assume just for a minute that the Temp x1 actually has the max Pro possible at 10. 

And we assume that F.Amb x6, F.Det x1, F.Loyal x1, F.Sport x14, & Bal x20 all have the max Pro possible at 14.

Then that gives us a total Pro score of 1x10 + 42x14 = 10+588 = 598 and we divide that by 43 to give us an average Pro rating of 13.67.

Now we need to get the average up to over 15 for this to work and what have we got left to add. 

Spirited x2 has a max of 17 so let's use that and see what happens. 598+34=632/45= 14.04.

Now we just have left the following. Sport x4, F.Pro x1 & L.Det x2 which all have a max of 20. 

Let's assume that all of these players have 20 and do the maths again. 

7x20=140+632= 772/52 = 14.85

Now assuming I'm not stupid, how is it even theoretically possible for my squad personality to be F.Pro, if the maximum Pro'ness taken as an average doesn't make it to F.Pro levels?

:stop:

For someone who has spent a decent amount of time monitoring squad personality, I'd never stopped to break down the numbers to understand how it was calculated. The more I think about it, the more doubtful I am that it can be a straight average that is then mapped to player personality types. That raises a big question for me, beyond how it is calculated. In the context of an X squad, what does the various feedback from the coaches (e.g. contributes to the squad's X) indicate about that player's X values? There must ranges that correspond to "contributes to", "fits in" -- dark green, "fits in" -- lighter green, "struggles to fit in" -- yellow, and "struggles to fit in" -- red.

I think this question could actually be answered by tinkering with the editor, although it would take some work to map out the various possibilities. Very similar to the original work done on the personalities and media handling guide; I've always got that thread up on my personal laptop for reference.

1 minute ago, Ceching You Out said:

For someone who has spent a decent amount of time monitoring squad personality, I'd never stopped to break down the numbers to understand how it was calculated. The more I think about it, the more doubtful I am that it can be a straight average that is then mapped to player personality types. That raises a big question for me, beyond how it is calculated. In the context of an X squad, what does the various feedback from the coaches (e.g. contributes to the squad's X) indicate about that player's X values? There must ranges that correspond to "contributes to", "fits in" -- dark green, "fits in" -- lighter green, "struggles to fit in" -- yellow, and "struggles to fit in" -- red.

I think this question could actually be answered by tinkering with the editor, although it would take some work to map out the various possibilities. Very similar to the original work done on the personalities and media handling guide; I've always got that thread up on my personal laptop for reference.

I think what is causing a problem is our lack of understanding as to what the various levels of Squad Personality are. 

To give you an example, I have previously had a Squad Personality, (my San Marino save), of "Ultra Professional". That's great and I was well chuffed with it at the time, but the point I missed, (until now), is that there isn't a player personality called "Ultra Professional", so what is the comparison? There is F.Pro and Pro and Model Pro, but there is no Ultra-Pro. 

Similarly, one of the lads have responded in the GQ thread that he has a "Very Determined" Squad Personality. Again, Very Determined is not a Player personality. So what it means is that while the parameters might be the same, they might be called something different, (Very Determined sounds like Driven to me), or it could be something else entirely. Until we get an inkling into how it works, (which would probably involve use of the editor and is not something I'm overly keen on), I don't think we can say.  

Now that you mention it, I've previously had a "Highly Professional" (or was it "Very Professional"?) squad as well. Combing through my memory banks, I can only remember seeing variations around what I'd call the most basic personality traits -- Loyal, Determined, Ambitious, Professional. Could be purely anecdotal, but I can't remember coming across a Driven, Resolute, or Spirited side. Seems to be a separate set of values used to identify squad personality versus player personality.

Edit:

This appears to be an attempt at listing the various types -- 

Edited by Ceching You Out

ISL%20Hes%20signed%20Sep%202016_zpsqpx1o

Transfers. Sep 2016

I just saw that I had gained the above achievement and it reminded me that I had made transfers and it was probably something I should mention. You don't have to panic though. I signed 4 players, all on a free, and all of them have previously come through our academy, (and I am happy to provide proofage). :lol:

SRB%20Transfers%20Sep%202016_zpsc7mo2bcv

Arnar Freyr (F.Sport) HG. is a left winger. History. We were really short on the left flank when I took over and I was so desperate I just thought it was a no-brainer to sign this guy. When he then went and scored 4 goals in 5 League Cup games I thought I had unearthed a gem. Unfortunately, although he proved reasonable, he was never able to live up to his League Cup exploits and he scored only 1 league goal all season and provided just 4 league assists.

Þorsteinn Óskarsson. (Bal) HG. is a utility left-sided player. History. He's so poor that he was signed on non-contract terms and then released, but I wanted to show that he was a product of our academy anyway so here is is. 

Ólafur Örn (F.Sport) HG. is a back-up striker. History. I really just signed him because I was able and with only 1 proper SC, didn't want to get sacked because I didn't have a back-up. Hopefully he will never play again and you will never hear from him again. 

Baldvin Narfi (Bal) HG. is a central midfielder of sorts. History. I was about to tell you that he never featured, but it appears he did for some reason. (Drunk management perhaps?) That's enough about him already.

As you can see, all products of our academy here. :cool:

ISL%20Shrewd%20Spender%20Sep%202016_zpsh

Finances.

The above achievement has prompted me to show you a little about finances. 

ISL%20Finances%20Sep%202016_zpsosz7ku33.

This looks pretty good in my opinion, but basically, it lies. 

It doesn't tell you that the new board consolidated the debt when they took over and a debt of £97,000 immediately became a debt of £123,000. We are paying it off a whopping £1,240 per month meaning that it's going to take 10 bloomin years to pay off. 

It also doesn't tell you that we are in September and we don't play any football, so unless Bieber is paying a repeat visit, (Justin Bieber played 4 nights there earlier this year in real life), we are not going to be getting much income for the next 4 months. 

Where I am doing well however is obviously wage control, (and I have been haggling), and to this end I am spending £4,302 per week while the budget was approx £5,400 per week. The new board seem a little more ambitious than the last board, (bloody women!) (joke!), and without any investment, they have increased the budget from about £5,400 to £8,003 per week, (which is a hell of an increase!)

Edited by Jimbokav1971

Tracker

Considering everyone else has used a tracker at my suggestion, I feel it is only fair that I also use one. 

Looking at mine compared to some of the others used, I feel like I have a ridiculous advantage with regards to my facilities, but I will openly admit that this was by design rather than by accident and I think the fact that I am using the IR button rather than actually playing games more than balances things out. 

I've just realised that I forgot to shade in the last 2 columns on the tracker, (and can't be bothered to go and re-do it. 

I'm not sure that my tracker is going to show an awful lot if I'm honest. My facilities start very good and the National Team start as high as 30th after the 1st season, (although of course there is no guarantee that they will stay there). 

ISL%20Tracker%20Nov%202016_zpsm2vba4uy.p

Edited by Jimbokav1971

Transfer Rumours

West Brom and Watford have both made £0 bids of our young GK (16d) Jake (ENG) (F.Sport) *, (who has been called up to (ENG) U21's but not featured yet. It's a strange situation because although he is only 16 and is on a Youth contract, I have signed him to a provisional Semi-Pro deal that will start on his 17th birthday. Why would I let him go on a free?

Also sniffing around are Crystal Palace, Leicester & West Ham. 

I only have him signed up to the end of 2019, (so 3 more years), and a lot can happen in that time. 

[Edit]

West Ham have also now come in with a £0 bid. 

[Edit2]

And Crystal Palace now too. 

And Leicester. 

[Edit3]

Watford and West Brom are in with £12,000 bids at the moment. 

My plan is to just keep him as long as possible. I have an Icelandic GK who is 1 year older and who has similar PA, so if I can keep him then I might cash in on (16d) Jake (ENG) (F.Sport) when he has 12 months remaining.

[Edit]

£17,750

This is really annoying. Because he is still on hos Youth contract, I can't set a valuation under which all bids will be auto-refused, so I am forced to respond to each bid individually. :(

[Edit]

£26,500

[Edit]

£40,000

If this continues I'm worried that the board will jump in and accept. :-(

[Edit]

£60,000

It's not the money is bothering me, but that the board will eventually accept such a rubbish offer. If I negotiate on the other hand, while the cash I get now won't be huge, I should be able to get a 50% sell-on clause, and I may even be able to loan him back for a couple of years in a sneaky move. 

[Edit]

£90,000

[Edit]

£135,000

Edited by Jimbokav1971

@Jimbokav1971 I'd recommend opening up a thread not in GD but in the Bugs Forum about the squad personality thing. That seems just flat out wrong. The quicker SI has a look at it, the better. It may be the difference between it being fixed for the official release, or for patch 1 or patch 2.

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

@Jimbokav1971 I'd recommend opening up a thread not in GD but in the Bugs Forum about the squad personality thing. That seems just flat out wrong. The quicker SI has a look at it, the better. It may be the difference between it being fixed for the official release, or for patch 1 or patch 2.

Done

Watford are now in for (16d) Jake (ENG) (F.Sport) * and the value has risen to £200,000

Leicester, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Norwich, Stoke, Sunderland & Hall have also made bids of various amounts.

Edited by Jimbokav1971

40 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Watford are now in for (16d) Jake (ENG) (F.Sport) * and the value has risen to £200,000

Leicester, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Norwich, Stoke, Sunderland & Hall have also made bids of various amounts.

wow, must have decent PA

45 minutes ago, AFH said:

wow, must have decent PA

It's hard to tell if I'm honest. 

£200,000 is nothing to these clubs so that's not much of an indication. 

5.0 PA stars in comparison to the rest of our squad doesn't mean much because they are all rubbish. 

I also think I started on a small database again which makes the demand for players higher and as a result pushes the price up. 

He's also English on top which means the fee is bigger again. 

He's obviously decent, but only time will tell quite how decent. 

23 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

I once had a decent portuguese player come in when managing in Andorra. Sold him for 500k, So 200k is rubbish, should wait for more money or put his transfer value to at least 1 mil.

I agree completely. 

I don't intend buying players and I already have pretty good facilities so what exactly is the money going to be spent on. 

The problem is that because he is still only 16, (and has provisionally signed a part-time contract that won't kick in for another 4-5 months), he is still technically on a youth contract and as such I am not able to set a player valuation and let the game auto-decline the bid if it's under that. 

I just really don't want the board to step in and go over my head either because I know they will agree a rubbish deal and I love a 50% clause almost as much as I love a 3 year option. 

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

I'd bet it's not a bug as such since it's appears to have worked that way for several iterations, but it should help prompt SI to provide an explanation. I'm quite curious at this point.

Or it may just be something we don't quite understand 100% yet. That could be looking at one hidden attribute they share, perhaps they both have the same ambition, or professionalism. At the very least it could be explained better, if it's working or an issue, maybe?

On 24/10/2016 at 16:39, Black and Yellow said:

About the determination slowly rising, if you discipline a player for poor performance, if he accepts it he sometimes gains a point of determination and/or workrate.

Did you discipline your players?