Shirt number more important

Maaka

I was just reading about Federico Fazio's transfer to Roma, and the club states he's chosen shirt #20.

I think that the shirt number assignments should mean a little more in-game than what it does today. As of now, some players have a preferred number, but even so, if I don't hand said player said shirt, nothing happens. Of course, in most cases nothing's gonna happen, but what I'd like to see is players more "active" with regards to what number they'll get when joining a new club ("Player X has joined Club Y, and although his preferred number is 7, seeing that said shirt is currently assigned to Player Z, he would like to wear number 17 instead"), or when a player who's been wearing a certain shirt leaves, another player (kindly) requests said shirt, like Alexis and Ramsey now swapping to #7 and #8 from #17 and #16 respectively (not saying they've demanded these changes IRL).

And likewise, if a player's been assigned a shirt, then the club transfers a new player in, and the new player "takes" (is assigned) the shirt the previous player liked, I'd suppose he wouldn't be too joyful about it (Martial/Ibrahimovic), although it shouldn't create a major unhappiness issue for him, but could be a deciding factor if he's already unhappy in some ways.

-M

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2016 at 05:01, Frietbakker said:

Maybe players can be extra motivated when a legendary number is assigned..

Player X feels honoured he plays with the same number as Club Y's legendary player Z

On 06/08/2016 at 22:41, Number seven said:

If some become more motovated, some might also feel more pressure of the burden of having to live up to legends.

I would add to see clubs retiring numbers during the save

On 8/7/2016 at 02:41, Number seven said:

If some become more motovated, some might also feel more pressure of the burden of having to live up to legends.

I like this, perhaps it could be linked to the player's hidden attributes/personality.

How many people have tried and failed to follow in the footsteps of Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool for example, wearing the number 7 shirt, yet he took over so seamlessly from Kevin Keegan.

I like the idea of clubs being able to retire certain shirt numbers too.

I agree with all of this. Also it could be used as an option to entice a player to sign - for example Verratti grew up a Juventino who idolized Del Piero so I wish Juventus would promise him our now vacant #10 to sweeten an offer...

Certain players wear a different preferred number for their country than their club. I would like to see this included. Fabregas wears 10 for Spain and 4 for his clubs. Henry wore 12 for France and 14 for his clubs.

And another thing, when assigning shirt numbers for a new season, you get a news message which lists all your assigned numbers, with a note about who wore it before, or (in most cases) that it was "previously unassigned".
If you happened to have a star player wearing a certain number one year, say #7, and said player was sold (or otherwise left the club) during the summer, and then you assign said number to a new player, in the report it says that that number was previously unassigned, which is technically correct. I'd like i to reflect the fact that the number actually was assigned before, and noting the player who wore it before he left the club. Obviously it shouldn't go back several years, but if it was limited to one year before, that'd be good.

Good ideas. The preferred number thing doesn't make any difference at the moment. 

I was think that for superstar players with worldwide reputations, shirt numbers could have some importance as part of 'image rights' negotiations in transfers. For example, 7 is clearly very important to the Cristiano Ronaldo 'brand' and they'd want that number guaranteed before joining a new club - or at least a promise that it would be assigned to them at the earliest opportunity, as with CR taking 9 when he joined Real Madrid and switching to 7 when Raul left. 

The pressure/motivation thing would also be a good feature. Players like Depay and Januzaj have perhaps felt the pressure of taking 7 and 11 at United. The media could pick up on assigning legends numbers, asking if you think this will be a burden on player x or if you think it shows he can fill the boost of his predecessors etc. 

On 03/09/2016 at 16:09, Weston said:

I mean if this is allowed to happen in real life then anything goes... 

I remember Viviano having the number 2 for Sampdoria and playing in goal... crazy times in Italy...!

I like the idea of squad numbers having more importance, always one of the best parts of the new season , assigning them out

Absolutely, shirt numbers are more important in the modern football. For example, number 7 reminds everyone Cristiano Ronaldo, Eric Cantona. The number 10 is always given to the most creative and talented players. For example, when we manage Man Utd and give #7 to a youngster, he should feel honored (and if his mentality is not strong, then he should feel the pressure on him). Also, it would be nice to read headlines such as "Youngster X will wear the legendary #7 at Man Utd, will he be the next Cristiano Ronaldo?" Or when someone wears a number that is mentioned with him, he should feel same. These details are what make FM more realistic and feel us the great reality. These variations will make us to read headlines with more excitement.

5 hours ago, talhak said:

Absolutely, shirt numbers are more important in the modern football. For example, number 7 reminds everyone Cristiano Ronaldo, Eric Cantona. The number 10 is always given to the most creative and talented players. For example, when we manage Man Utd and give #7 to a youngster, he should feel honored (and if his mentality is not strong, then he should feel the pressure on him). Also, it would be nice to read headlines such as "Youngster X will wear the legendary #7 at Man Utd, will he be the next Cristiano Ronaldo?" Or when someone wears a number that is mentioned with him, he should feel same. These details are what make FM more realistic and feel us the great reality. These variations will make us to read headlines with more excitement.

Agreed!

I sometimes wonder if players really feel that pressure as often as people think, or if it's usually just a case of fans projecting their narrowly focused world view on someone who's just doing his day job.

Just now, eriktous said:

I sometimes wonder if players really feel that pressure as often as people think, or if it's usually just a case of fans projecting their narrowly focused world view on someone who's just doing his day job.

Look at Valencia when he got the Number 7... he went from consistant winger to the shadow of him self.. i was glad when he changed number and became a RB much better.. more recently look at Adnan Januzaj and Mephis... 

I don't know much about Valencia or Januzaj, but Memphis's poor mental traits were already quite apparent when he was still playing in Holland, although his technical advantage over his then opponents was enough to make him shine. Now that he's playing against better opponents, he's not able to make a difference as often as he used to. Has nothing to do with pressure from a shirt number, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived