FM16 Anyone use CM (automatic)?

Please share your experience.

I have 2 WB(a), 2 CB(d), 2 IF(a), TM(s) or F9(s) up top.

In the middle I put a BWM(s) as in front of my CB. In front of the BWM, I have a CM(automatic) and a AP(a).

My tactic is not fully familiarized yet, so I can't see the effectiveness of the automatic CM when I watch on comprehensive.

The automatic roles just mean they change based on the mentality you use. So if you use attacking/control then the player will actually be an attacking one and vice versa. Automatic isn't a role, I'm not sure why it's even in game still it's pointless.

It means the player adjusts to your mentality rather than you, setting, say a counter team mentality but an attacking CM who doesn't overly bother with the defensive work. I use a midfield of WMs and a CM all on auto and it works so fluidly if I change mentality mid game

The automatic roles just mean they change based on the mentality you use. So if you use attacking/control then the player will actually be an attacking one and vice versa. Automatic isn't a role, I'm not sure why it's even in game still it's pointless.

Don't say things like it's pointless. I've read many of your posts and can see that you're very detail oriented in the way you play. Some people want to make quick changes during games without having to change every single players individual mentality.

You don't use it I gather, but that's no reason for it not to be in the game. Other people want to use it, so it should be in the game.

As an influential blogger SI take notice of your suggestions, so please be more responsible to the needs of your readers rather than purely what you use in the game.

Don't say things like it's pointless. I've read many of your posts and can see that you're very detail oriented in the way you play. Some people want to make quick changes during games without having to change every single players individual mentality.

You don't use it I gather, but that's no reason for it not to be in the game. Other people want to use it, so it should be in the game.

As an influential blogger SI take notice of your suggestions, so please be more responsible to the needs of your readers rather than purely what you use in the game.

In fact a lot of people have been asking for them removed for a very long time. I think there's a lot more in favor of them being removed than their is who would keep them. It is pointless and just adds to confusion because majority of people think it's actually a different duty and don't realise it's not. I see this on a daily basis on here so I think I'm justified when I say it's pointless and should be removed. After all everyone keeps banging on about the game being ambiguous yet they accept it when it suits them. I don't say things should be removed because I don't use them, I say they should be removed when they make little sense or add to much confusion to a game. Everything that causes confusion that is needless should be removed from the game, especially when something like this misleads people to thinking there are 3 duties and it not being explained properly. It's just confusion and messes with peoples mind.

And for the record I use plenty of things in FM that are pointless and would be better served being removed.

I think a lot of people use automatic without knowing what it does. You really would need to understand your tactic and system well to make good use out of automatic. You would need to know what duty the player has when and if that is a good change in the given situation.

If you, for example play counter, then towards the end switch to attacking you would completely change that player's duty. Is that actually intended or would it unbalance your tactic? Would it perhaps be better to switch another player's duty?

Because of that I think it's better to remove automatic and let people manually change the duties when they want to make adjustments.

I do, but I don't see any great difference compared to a B2B

The way I see automatic is no different from support (I use that duty with my DR and DL since it was announced) and don't see any difference compared to a FB on support

I must state that I only watch the matches on key highlights (and have done since pre-split), and I play with a slightly attacking mentality

In fact a lot of people have been asking for them removed for a very long time. I think there's a lot more in favor of them being removed than their is who would keep them. It is pointless and just adds to confusion because majority of people think it's actually a different duty and don't realise it's not. I see this on a daily basis on here so I think I'm justified when I say it's pointless and should be removed. After all everyone keeps banging on about the game being ambiguous yet they accept it when it suits them. I don't say things should be removed because I don't use them, I say they should be removed when they make little sense or add to much confusion to a game. Everything that causes confusion that is needless should be removed from the game, especially when something like this misleads people to thinking there are 3 duties and it not being explained properly. It's just confusion and messes with peoples mind.

And for the record I use plenty of things in FM that are pointless and would be better served being removed.

If you hover over automatic it explains what it is, so I don't understand how it's confusing and posters have explained it in this thread giving further guidance. I'm starting to think FM is becoming very rigid and removing a lot of creativity for the player.

My intention was not to single you out by the way. i do really enjoy your tactics guides. My biggest bug bear on these forums is people wanting things removed because they don't use them. I see now that wasn't your reason.

Personally, I don't like it, and I never use it. I can't think of a real world example where a manager would implement such a change. Especially when you consider that you alter a player's role simply by changing the team mentality. So, a CM-A in an Attacking team would behave differently to a CM-A in a Defensive team.

I could see how it would be useful for WMs and FBs, but CMs come as a pairing (or even a trio), and require balance.

I think anyone who played during the first days of the tactics creator knows exactly what the automatic role does, because you see that the sliders are exactly the same as the Defend/Support/ATtack role depending on which team mentality you're using. That's how I figured it out anyway.

I agree automatic is a bit misleading. At worse, people might think it's a completely different role, and not just a replication of Defend/Support/Attack like it is; at best it might make you think as if your midfielders and defenders *should* follow your team's mentality, when more often than not they shouldn't. In most cases you SHOULD have some attack roles in a defensive team; and some defend roles in an attacking team. These players on the "wrong mentality" don't need to be necessarily the fullbacks and centre midfielders, but they should be in there somewhere.

The problem with having your midfield on automatic is that your midfield ends up lacking depth in the build-up phase. You want your midfielders to take up different positions to create angles for circulating the ball and different options once you hit the final third. Without that, your midfield will be too flat and compressed which ends up forcing overly direct play.

It's okay to have one more versatile mid on auto as you might him going from a second pivot to a box-to-box player when you switch mentalities, but the in-game description doesn't make it clear that auto was really only intended for use with the one player given, to use the old tactical theorems phrase, a "floating" responsibility in the team.

Archived