When that moment comes...

Hello guys.

We all have those players that we love in our team and we wish they'd never got old.

But then it comes that moment when you have youth players to develop and you either have to sell those magical players or just put them in the bench, otherwise the youngsters will not develop as they should.

I have some difficulties in managing those moments of transition. Even more when those players have good natural fitness, i play them till 33/34, some times more. Obviously that's not good for those young players waiting to play.

How do you guys do when you have young players for the same position that need to play to develop? You just let it go and try to sell those players?

Thanks!

toppar.jpg

isik.jpg

I'm a big softie just like you. In one-club careers, I keep playing those club icons and trying to artificially prolong their careers until they finally decide to retire, which just makes the goodbye harder still. ;)

Plus I always try to encourage any 30+ players to take up a backroom career so that I can offer them a non-playing role later on. I find that a nice way to keep them around and create a sense of continuity at the club... :)

Thanks for the replies.

Haha Barside, well i guess that's the way it should be, no bitchy feelings lol

I normally have 2 players for each position, 1 already developed player and a youngster. But in this cases with these players, i have 3 and it's hard to find enough game time for everyone.

I'll just have to prioritize the young boys and mentalize that it's not time anymore for the older ones.

I usually sell them on quite quickly. Around the age of 30 is when I seriously start examining whether they're worth keeping. It depends heavily on how bad their attributes drop. Wayne Rooney for example, has poor professionalism so his abilities decline in spite of his fitness quite rapidly in most of my games in FM15, so I shift him quite quickly.

isignedupfornorealreason yes i agree.

But those 2 players i've showed have good personalities and both with 17 for natural fitness. They're 32 and i suppose they can still play at the highest level with not much decline for 3 more years (if not more).

Well yeah, your two players look ridiculously good. Wish I had players like them at any age!

No place for sentiment in my world, run my club like the world of Logan's run.

Apparently you only watched the movie because in the book everybody is euthanized at age 21, not 30, so unless you're doing some sort of extreme youth challenge... ;)

I keep oldies as long as they keep producing the goods. Yes it can be hard to let them go once they do start to decline, but the way I look at it, I'm doing them a favour selling them to a club where they'll get more playing time. If there is a player who is a club legend (in my mind) and whose mood changes to "doesn't want to leave the club" when I offer them out, then sometimes I change my mind and keep them, especially if they can be beneficial tutors for younger players, and/or they'll probably retire in one year anyway. I do also look to offer them backroom roles if available and their skills merit it.

I usually sell them on quite quickly. Around the age of 30 is when I seriously start examining whether they're worth keeping. It depends heavily on how bad their attributes drop. Wayne Rooney for example, has poor professionalism so his abilities decline in spite of his fitness quite rapidly in most of my games in FM15, so I shift him quite quickly.

Agreed on this - regardless of sentiment if there is a youngster ready for the first team, they almost always get the chance ahead of the 30+.

I generally try to have replacements-in-waiting. For formations that use two of a particular position - center back in a 4-4-2, f'r instance, I try to have my oldest player and subtract 4 from his age for the next in line. So I've got, for example, a 36 year old CB as an emergency fill-in, starters that are 32 and 28, a 24 year old who's the 3rd CB, a 20 year old out on loan or playing in the reserves and cups and a sixteen year old in the under-18s. That sort of precision is hard, obviously, but that's the general guideline. For more singular positions like wide midfield I want to have a starter with replacements about six or seven years apart. I make my money from a Chelsea-style mass ingress of prospects followed by mass loans followed by mass sales three years later when I've decided I don't want them. Once a player is a regular member of my first team, I'm probably going to keep them until something silly happens or they retire (or I have a temporary hole and I'm trying to boost their sale value).

unless they're a club legend (or something like captain) then I'll sell them on as soon as I receive a reasonable bid - normally I'll have a figure in mind, and the replacement is on the shortlist being watched (I try and make around 10m with the switch, or promote from within)

but if you're a club legend, then I try to keep them on as long as possible, rotating through the 22yo gradually into his place

season 1: sub appearances, cup games, etc

season 2: probably a 50-50 split

season 3: the captain's announced retirement, he plays the odd game before joining the backroom staff

of course, it helps that my first team is hard to break into, so you've actually got to be good to make it in

Archived