Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Originally posted by Alurny:

Now I've calmed down a bit icon_wink.gif

I don't like board takeovers. I was doing well for once icon_frown.gif

Gundo, I was wondering if it was possible to play this with the fake players box ticked? Or will that make me have an advantage/disadvantage?

If not then I will start my post patch file with real players icon_wink.gif

I've had someone asking this before and what I said was, I don't see it being a real problem. The only thing I said against this was that maybe other users might not be as interested in your game reports ect. because your not using really players. Having said this if you are managing in an obscure country people won't of heard of your players anyway.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Now I've calmed down a bit icon_wink.gif

I don't like board takeovers. I was doing well for once icon_frown.gif

Gundo, I was wondering if it was possible to play this with the fake players box ticked? Or will that make me have an advantage/disadvantage?

If not then I will start my post patch file with real players icon_wink.gif

I've had someone asking this before and what I said was, I don't see it being a real problem. The only thing I said against this was that maybe other users might not be as interested in your game reports ect. because your not using really players. Having said this if you are managing in an obscure country people won't of heard of your players anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, I just loaded it up and it is pretty horrible to be honest. I really wish they would put more effort into this feature as it could be really fun. Sadly it is atrocious, I can tell who everyone is and even worse, some world class stars ages become 15. icon_redface.gif

I don't think it will be wise unless they put some work in on it!

I thought I would check anyway, who knows, one day they might make the feature useful icon14.gif

Meldert, Belgium - August 1st 2008

Pre-season over, pretty much. The first league match is almost a month away, but rounds 3, 4 and 5 of the Belgian Cup are scheduled first. The board expects me to get to Round 4, so I hope the team is ready-ish.

The friendly matches weren't very promising. Six matches played. Two draws, four losses. One goal scored, 19 against. Granted, I selected the opponents based on ticket income, and my squad is built entirely from scratch, but still.

I picked the largest pitch size available (110 by 75 meters), following the reasoning that I like to concentrate my attacks along the wings. But after being totally outplayed in every friendly match so far, I'm starting to regret that - perhaps a more congested setup would have been the smarter choice. Ah well, too late now.

At least the board expectation is realistic - relegation battle. The media expects us to finish dead last. Obviously my own standards are a bit higher.

I brought in 22 new (free transfer) players, loaned 3, and signed 8 of the existing amateur squad to real contracts. Those 8 are merely to provide squad depth though, the core of the team is to be found in the new signings. I'm still only using 3800 of my 4800 euro wage bill, so no problems there.

A brief overview of the key players:

GK - Kristoff Deprez (26)

Released from a 2nd Div. team where he was a backup goalie who got to play a few matches, he seems like the reliable goalie I need. A very balanced goalkeeper, with most of the vital attributes between 10 and 12, and with 16 in Aerial.

DRC - Romain Reynaud (25)

A youth product of French Ligue 1 team Saint Etienne, played for some obscure French teams, and then agreed to come on trial. My coaches liked him a lot, I hope I will too. Vice-captain.

DLC - Rémi Keromest (25)

And a Frenchman for the left side as well, though this one played in the Belgian 2nd Div. for a few years, so I could scout him.

Hopefully these two somewhat experienced full backs will balance out the 18 and 20 year old center backs.

DM - Céderic Van der Elst (28)

My coaches rate this one as a leading star for a 2nd Div. team, but I think that's a bit overrated. He's a touch on the slow side, but rates very well in the mental column. Because of that I made him the team captain, and almost half the squad was quite pleased with that.

AMR - Jeroen Mertens (19)

Lots of single-digit attributes, but the double digits are in the right places. High pace and flair, and decent technique, dribbling, crossing etc. I expect a lot from this kid.

ST - Matthew Bartholomew (19)

Trini&Tobago/Belgian who was on Sheff Utd's payroll for the past two seasons, but spent those two years on loan in Belgium and was then released. Pace and flair, with some dribbling skill, hopefully enough to run the Third Div. defenses ragged.

ST - Gilles De Bilde (37)

Probably won't be a key player, but worth mentioning nonetheless. 25 times Belgian international. Lacking pace and stamina now, so he won't start many matches, but his skills are still there. Good to have for emergencies.

Originally posted by petokucho.:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by migwar:

ok gundo, i'm taking a break from my dafuge game before i hang myself, and having a crack at this. i've never managed in FM outside england, so naturally i thought slovakia would be a good place to start.

i had the choice of 2 teams.

Puchov had a 6000 capacity stadium, the majority of a squad and were predicted 11th[out of 12]

I however chose Stropkov, with a 3000 capacity, a 40 yr old DM and a prediction of dead last. Well, i dont want anyone saying i took the easy route icon_smile.gif

Now i find that i have no players and the season starts in a little over 2 weeks.

I'm expected by the media to be relegated, but they reckoned without the mighty migwar..

i'll update when [if] i get any players

hmmm, it looks very interesting icon_smile.gif what year are you in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just started in summer 2008. the new teams get promoted on 29th june and season starts 13th july!!

then, transfer window closes around 13th august, so it was a bit of a rush job. i've filled my squad, but they're all way short on fitness, and obviously there was zero cohesion.

i've actually just started to get then settled and i've won a couple of games icon_smile.gif

i also set up links with artmedia, who have tried to loan me players but no-one's interested in dropping divisions. cant say i blame them...

i'll do a proper report mid season

Probably won't be a key player, but worth mentioning nonetheless. 25 times Belgian international. Lacking pace and stamina now, so he won't start many matches, but his skills are still there. Good to have for emergencies.

Sheffield Wednesday and PSV legend! icon14.gif

Vidir Gardi, 09 Season, Icelandic Premier Division

League Table icon_cool.gif

Graph

Upper League Cup icon13.gif

Well we provided no suprises this season. Predicted to come bottom I'm happy to say we stayed up narrowly. The season was difficult as we lost one of our more experienced midfielders for the season just a few games in. Luckily the goals of club favourite Holmberg ensured we beat the teams around us and meant we just claimed the points required to survive. A few players I brought in immediately showed they weren't up to the task and I was left with a smaller squad than I'd have liked. So onto next year, where survival will be the key once more. Hopefully it won't be quite as close next year!

A few key men (they've all been nicknamed):

The Kid - a youth product and one of the best CB's in the league. Plenty of teams sniffing around him.

The Urn - class act, signed on a free in the first division. Will be hard to hold onto - newly appointed captain.

Ellert - good winger, also could be hard to keep onto.

Prediction - mid table next season, hopefully some progress through the upper league cup.

Good luck to everyone that has joined in the last few days! icon14.gif

Originally posted by Alurny:

he was!! oh the days when we were Premier League and could attract international players..........

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

he was!! oh the days when we were Premier League and could attract international players.......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember him mainly from his Anderlecht days (and he's a regular Champions League analyst on Belgian tv now). I almost forgot that he played in the Prem League as well.

If I'm not mistaken, there was another Belgian international who signed for Sheffield Wednesday in those days as well. (Marc Degryse, an AM/FC-ish type player)

Don't know if they were there at the same time though, but it was roughly the same period.

Ok, as many of you know (with the help of you guys icon14.gif ) i've been trying to compile a list of when the relevant countries generate their promotion/relegations. Remember some of these dates won't be exact but should be a day or two before FM generates promotion/relegations. Thanks again for your help chaps. icon14.gif

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece.

Hungary.

Iceland.

Ireland.

Israel.

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway 18th January.

Poland.

Serbia.

Slovakia.

Slovenia 28th June.

Sweden.

Switzerland.

Turkey.

Ukraine.

Wales.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece.

Hungary.

Iceland.

Ireland.

Israel.

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia.

Sweden.

Switzerland.

Turkey.

Ukraine.

Wales.</pre>

Updated version.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece.

Hungary.

Iceland.

Ireland - 5th January 2009.

Israel.

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia.

Sweden.

Switzerland.

Turkey.

Ukraine.

Wales.</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by migwar:

gundo

slovakia is 28th june, iirc icon_smile.gif

Damn! I got my Slovenia's and my Slovakia's mixed up. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks migwar. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sloenia should be 28th too.

+v

NK Slovan Ljubljana

Second season winter break update:

Surely safe from relegation, as the 2 newly promoted teams are awful.Combined they have a 1-9-20, 10-72 record, I'm sure you get the pic icon_biggrin.gif

We have the best defensive record icon14.gif and late autumn the scoring department also showed up icon14.gif Sitting comfortably 4th. With luck a promotion playoff sport could be reached, but I think 3rd-5th is more realistic. Probably recently relegated Livar will run away with the title, and surprise package Bonifika look good for the second spot.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece.

Hungary.

Iceland.

Ireland - 5th January

Israel.

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden.

Switzerland.

Turkey.

Ukraine.

Wales.</pre>

Originally posted by emgergo:

+v

NK Slovan Ljubljana

Second season winter break update:

Surely safe from relegation, as the 2 newly promoted teams are awful.Combined they have a 1-9-20, 10-72 record, I'm sure you get the pic icon_biggrin.gif

We have the best defensive record icon14.gif and late autumn the scoring department also showed up icon14.gif Sitting comfortably 4th. With luck a promotion playoff sport could be reached, but I think 3rd-5th is more realistic. Probably recently relegated Livar will run away with the title, and surprise package Bonifika look good for the second spot.

Good luck icon14.gif

This is basically exactly what I found in Slovenia in the last couple of years. Survive season 1 and you're set fair. I think most of the teams in div 1 have fairly similar reputations, then a decent gap to div 2, then another decent gap to the lower divisions.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece. - 19th June.

Hungary.

Iceland.

Ireland - 5th January

Israel.

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden.

Switzerland.

Turkey.

Ukraine.

Wales.</pre>

Meldert, Belgium - December 14th 2008

Mid-season table

Well, we clearly have a relegation battle on our hands.

I'm not worried yet though. It's a tight bottom half of the table, and my team is rarely played off the field. We're usually quite competitive, it's just a matter of turning that into points.

Our defense clearly isn't the problem - it's the lack of goals. 12 goals in 15 matches simply doesn't cut it. At least 4 of our 6 draws should have been clear wins.

Matthew Bartholomew, the young Trinidad & Tobego striker, isn't quite performing as I had hoped. He's not terrible - he often weighs on the defense - but 2 goals in 15 matches, with a 38% shots on target ratio, isn't cutting it.

Luckily my other striker, Zachary Zekhnini, a 19yr old Greek kid on loan from my 2nd Div. parent club, is doing better, with 7 goals in 15 matches.

No need to change much yet though. Unless Bartholomew's productivity doesn't improve soon, then I may have to try one of the backup strikers. But I'll give it a handful more matches, I still have confidence in the lad.

The team is entirely built from scratch, so they should start to gel now. I'm expecting the second half of the season to be a little bit better than the first.

It better be, or I'll be out of a job, heh.

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece. - 19th June.

Hungary.

Iceland. - 21st January

Ireland - 5th January

Israel.

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden.

Switzerland.

Turkey.

Ukraine.

Wales.

Whoops, ballsed up the code there.

Kari - 2009 Season - Icelandic 1st Division

Table

Positions

Didn't expect to get promoted at all, I was thinking mid-table at best, so I was pretty happy with winning it and so were the club, making me their first ever favored personal. I think concentrating on signing players with high determination was the key.

In the lower league cup we finished 2nd in our group missing out on the semi final. Icelandic cup, got to the third round before being knocked out by a premier division team.

Overview

Team

League re-set dates

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Country Date

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary -

Iceland - 21st January

Ireland - 5th January

Israel -

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia -

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden -

Switzerland -

Turkey -

Ukraine -

Wales -</pre>

League re-set dates

Country Date

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary -

Iceland - 21st January

Ireland - 5th January

Israel -

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia -

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden -

Switzerland -

Turkey -

Ukraine -

Wales -</pre>

League re-set dates

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary -

Iceland - 21st January

Ireland - 5th January

Israel -

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia -

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden -

Switzerland -

Turkey -

Ukraine -

Wales -</pre>

Sorry about that, that's it done now. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Jazza:

Table

Positions

Didn't expect to get promoted at all, I was thinking mid-table at best, so I was pretty happy with winning it and so were the club, making me their first ever favored personal. I think concentrating on signing players with high determination was the key.

In the lower league cup we finished 2nd in our group missing out on the semi final. Icelandic cup, got to the third round before being knocked out by a premier division team.

Overview

Team

Congratulations Jazza, good luck on your promotion!

Originally posted by happy slappy:

Behold the new manager of Bystrc!

http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=82971053xs3.jpg

And here is the team information screen.

http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=66758946km7.jpg

Good luck Slappy! Have fun in Czech Republic!

I am just loading up Hungary to look at the dates... icon14.gif

League re-set dates

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 21st January

Ireland - 5th January

Israel -

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia -

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden -

Switzerland -

Turkey -

Ukraine -

Wales -</pre>

Sorry about that, that's it done now. icon14.gif

Well...

They had a great name, and great colours, but they were a crap team. And since I'm a crap manager, it was doomed from the beginning.

After 10 league games, 10 losses, 5 goals scored and 39 against. I decided to put the fans and myself out of our collective misery. I resigned.

Decided to start again a bit closer to home in Sweden. (I don't know the new table date, but its before the 28th december. When I came back from holiday the leagues were already refreshed.

My next victim is: Krokom-Dvärsätts IF in the Swedish Second Division West Gotaland

me

my squad

my team

Originally posted by Jazza:

Table

Positions

Overview

Team

Good season there Jazza, like you I got promoted in my first season in Iceland. Found the 2nd season v.tough. Just stayed up now hoping for some improvement in the third year. I too am a favoured personnel... icon_cool.gif

Thanks for your input with the re-set dates people. icon14.gif

If people could just post any new dates they find and not update the full table as I don't want this thread too littered with so many table updates. Cheers.

Good Luck to all the new starters. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

That's probably my fault. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry.

No need for apologies aaberdeenn. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ icon_wink.gif

Really looking forwards to getting this game up and running. Just waiting for the patch though. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Sorry.

\o/ icon_wink.gif

Really looking forwards to getting this game up and running. Just waiting for the patch though. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Join the club mate, i've just got a few short term games on the go at present. When the new patch is released i'm have a crack at this in Norway I think, hopefully with a Stavanger (or close too) based club. icon_cool.gif

Wahhooo can't wait, roll on patch release day...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Sorry.

\o/ icon_wink.gif

Really looking forwards to getting this game up and running. Just waiting for the patch though. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Join the club mate, i've just got a few short term games on the go at present. When the new patch is released i'm have a crack at this in Norway I think, hopefully with a Stavanger (or close too) based club. icon_cool.gif

Wahhooo can't wait, roll on patch release day... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are these short term games? I've almost run out of games to play as I don't really like big club management tbh.

I'm not sure what country to go in. I fancy a bash in a mainland Europe. Possibly in Eastern Europe, we'll see though.

aaberdeenn My save games so far have consisted of a season and abit with Leigh RMI which was fun and a game in Norway which met this challenge criteria - just as a taster for when I start proper.

Archived