Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bugger sleep tonight, only uni in the morning

All-nighter ftw. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, its been a while since I had an FM version.

Had an absolutely terrible day on placement today. Everything went wrong. So I am very happy to be able to come back from hospital, park my butt and enjoy the new world.

icon14.gif

Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bugger sleep tonight, only uni in the morning

Had an absolutely terrible day on placement today. Everything went wrong. So I am very happy to be able to come back from hospital, park my butt and enjoy the new world.

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well have a good 'un. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Well have a good 'un. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might join you, I'm undecided, patch just about downloaded, 75% at the moment.

Downside is that I got school at 8am. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

I might join you, I'm undecided, patch just about downloaded, 75% at the moment.

Downside is that I got school at 8am. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know you want to icon_wink.gif

About to start, trying to determine the date in Serbia.

About to start, trying to determine the date in Serbia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I want to. ;

Not sure what country to go in. Any suggestions?

About to start, trying to determine the date in Serbia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I want to. ;

Not sure what country to go in. Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have experience in Croatia and Austria, both fun. Scandinavia seems to be vogue though.

icon_wink.gif

Serbia reset date: 9th July

I thought it was never going to load then icon_frown.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 21st January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland -

Turkey -

Ukraine -

Wales - </pre>

Good Luck to any new starters. icon14.gif

Good to have you back Alury. icon14.gif

Hi everyone,i have waited patiently for official patch to start this challenge for the first time.I have one question though,i really want to play in republic of ireland and i am aware there was a problem with earlier patch but si said they were aware and would sort it.Can someone confirm this problem has been fixed and the start date is 5 jan 2009(i think).Thanks

Originally posted by franklyn:

Hi everyone,i have waited patiently for official patch to start this challenge for the first time.I have one question though,i really want to play in republic of ireland and i am aware there was a problem with earlier patch but si said they were aware and would sort it.Can someone confirm this problem has been fixed and the start date is 5 jan 2009(i think).Thanks

I not sure if it's been fixed of not? Couldn't you load FM up and see? Just to refresh my memory, wasn't it a problem with which team was getting promoted from the nonleague?

Looks like I am going to give Serbia a miss as the quality of players were far too good for my liking (too many players with stats above 10, it didn't feel LL enough icon_wink.gif ) so I will try a league with 3 tiers. Methinks Denmark.

Denmark is one of the few nations other than Norway that I was tempted by, I may try their later next year.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by franklyn:

I not sure if it's been fixed of not? Couldn't you load FM up and see? Just to refresh my memory, wasn't it a problem with which team was getting promoted from the nonleague? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a look through the change list and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it at all, so I'm not sure whether it's been fixed or not.

The problem was that the team that won the relegation/promotion playoff didn't always then get promoted, instead Mullingar Town seemed to for no apparent reason.

Just to let you know.The irish bug hasn't been fixed.Went up as far as january 10th,2010 and there is no relegation or promotion from first division.Is it worth posting on bugs forum?

Really p*ssed off,waited a month for official patch for this to be fixed so don't know what challenge to take up now!!!

Just to let you know.The irish bug hasn't been fixed.Went up as far as january 10th,2010 and there is no relegation or promotion from first division.Is it worth posting on bugs forum?

Really p*ssed off,waited a month for official patch for this to be fixed so don't know what challenge to take up now!!!

It's definitely worth posting in the bugs forum, wouldn't Northern Ireland interest you?

A bit about Randaberg IL...

The smallish town of Randaberg is located just north-West of Stavanger. They play their home games at the Randaberg Stadion which has a capacity of 1,200 with under soil heating. They have two fierce rivals in the shape of the non-league clubs - Vidar and Vardeneset, although I think games against Viking Stavanger and Stavanger IF may well get pretty tasty. icon_biggrin.gif

They're a fairly ambitious club and the boards expectations for the season are for a top half finish, with a transfer budget of £0 and a wage budget of £4,600. I have only two senior players in the squad plus the usual youth regens.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

No relegation or promotion at all?

There shouldn't be any at the end of the first season, which is correct, as that's how it is in real life at the moment (due to restructuring leagues), but there should be a relegation/promotion playoff at the end of the 2nd season and the same thereafter.

Very strange if there isn't any at all because there was before the patch, the problem was just that the wrong team was getting promoted.

Meldert, Belgium - May 14th 2012

Mid-season table

End of season

Whew. And wow. What an incredibly smooth sailing season. I kept expecting it to go wrong, but it didn't. Well, brief moment of slight worry right after applying the patch, when it seemed like my strikers suddenly needed loads more chances to score, but it settled down again after a few matches, so that was probably coincidence.

We never had a comfortable lead. Mouscron in particular held on tight, making every point count until the last match day. But we were pretty much in the lead throughout the entire second half of the season (apart from a week or two when we were second, but tied on points).

The team.

A few new signings and lots of new loans made this an almost entirely new first 11. But it was a balanced team - something I always strive for - and everything just clicked together well.

One absolute star, obviously: Lukaku

The kid had an even better second half of the season, and just kept on scoring. He broke the club's goalscoring and MoM records. His striker partner - whoever I put in that position - didn't quite perform, but that didn't matter much, this kid scored for two.

Honorable mentions for Georges Yalic, who made it into the club's record books with his 16 assists, and Glenn Rucquoy, my only loan signing not from parent team Anderlecht, whose 11 goals are quite respectable for a midfielder.

So, up we go, to Belgium's top division. It has taken only four seasons, with a big fat thank you to all the quality loan players I managed to land over the years.

But now comes the real challenge. The big question is: is Meldert ready for promotion?

The answer: probably not.

Finances and infrastructure will be the main problem - two sides of the same coin.

We've been in the red for two seasons now. At the moment, we're almost back in the black, just 10k to go. With the squad bonus payout, and no matches for a month and a half, that'll drop down again though. But on the other hand, there should be some TV money next season, hopefully that'll counter that.

But we've been selling out our 3400 stadium this season already, so it's likely the board will start another expansion. I'll be curious to see , with the new patch applied now, whether that'll put us several million in the red again, and whether I'll get the blame for that again.

If so, I fear for my job, because I doubt there'll be many good results early on to keep the board happy. On the other hand, I just appeared in the club's Favoured Personnel list, and I'm up for a new contract any day now - at least I'd expect so. Perhaps that'll make it just a touch harder for them to fire me.

The affiliation with Anderlecht will also be disbanded. I should still be able to get a few decent players on loan though. No more than a few, however, because for the first time there will be a limit - no more than three.

Which means I'll need a few more players to put on the, you know, actual payroll and stuff. icon_smile.gif I'm kinda hoping that the club doesn't turn full pro just yet (which wouldn't be unusual IRL, but may not be the case in the game).

In any case, I expect a tough season ahead. That is, if I keep my job that long.

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by franklyn:

No relegation or promotion at all?

There shouldn't be any at the end of the first season, which is correct, as that's how it is in real life at the moment (due to restructuring leagues), but there should be a relegation/promotion playoff at the end of the 2nd season and the same thereafter.

Very strange if there isn't any at all because there was before the patch, the problem was just that the wrong team was getting promoted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I uninstalled game,loaded patch and started all over again and said i would holiday until 2009 and see if anything changes.Unfortunately due to the incompetence of SI there was a promotion but despite dcu beating kilkenny in playoff i was amazed to see MULLINGAR in first division on 2nd of january.I know you had the same problem johnny and it was reported in bugs forum and date forum but despite all this they didn't bother to fix this major problem.This is the last fm i will ever buy and all of mates that WERE into this game have finally lost patience too and feel the exact same.

What a disgrace!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Supermas2:

Although I am currently doing Dafuge Challenge, I couldnt keep my nose out this thread, and with the arrival of the patch, I couldnt resist.

So currently holidaying in Bulgaria icon_biggrin.gif

Scrap that.

I decieded on Poland instead.

I have taken the reigns at TKP Torun. Here's my profile.

I was intrigued to know the town of Torun has a population of over 200,000 - yet only this little team.

I have told the board I expect to avoid relegation. Fingers crossed, eh icon14.gif

Békéscsaba Elöre FC 2009/10

Building on the success of the first season we got off to a fast start losing in 1st round of the cup again :p but by the winter break we were in the hunt better positioned than last season. I still needed to win out after the break and only dropped 4 points, just enough, champions!

Unfortunately the might Bozovic could only manage 13 goals this season down from 24 leading to a 3 way tie with the sprinter who got the highest average rating in the league and the Slovak who won player of the year leaving me to take the manager crown icon_biggrin.gif

With any luck I don't lose any more defenders to other clubs and find some more bargains (free transfer), I think I'll need them, defeat protection helmet on standby for the top division.

Alurny's First update, Winter Break 2008 - Helsingør Elite 3000 - Danish Second Division East

To set the scene...

Helsingor, also known as “Elsinore†lies about 45 kilometres (28 miles) north of Copenhagen. It has 60,000 inhabitants and is surrounded by the The Sound (Oresund) - the stretch of water between Denmark and Sweden. Helsingor is the closest Danish city to Sweden. The club themselves are a bit of a fallen superpower, once of the Danish premier league in 1934/35, the side have been far from glory ever since.

The Team

Info

Helsingør announced Mander as their new manager in the early hours of a crisp July morning. The manager who recently celebrated his birthday declared himself delighted at taking over the club. with expectations of a mid table finish and a squad of Regens and old timers it looks like Mander will have to prove himself quickly.

The season so far

Table

Squad

Helsingør sit a well placed 3rd after a series of hard fought performances and some very promising loans from recently announced parent club: FC Copenhagen. Their position is largely down to these new loanees who make up the bulk of the squad. Mander has recently announced his intentions to delve into the market in search of permanent playing staff and is hoping the recent good form will help his search. One downer of his time in charge thus far was the loss in the early rounds of the danish cup to non league opposition which the fans will not forget in a hurry.

Around the World

- Zaragoza were crowned the 07/08 UEFA Cup champions after a 2-0 victory over Fiorentina.

- Lyon made history as the won the Champions League on penalties defeating a rampant Arsenal to shock the world.

-Germany won Euro 2008, defeating the French in the final comfortably.

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoachFlu:

But we've been selling out our 3400 stadium this season already, so it's likely the board will start another expansion.

Well, as expected, the board have announced another expansion.

It's a good thing they took out a 725k loan over 15 years, otherwise I'd be in big trouble, heh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A short time to fit 16 seats? I'd say less than an hour. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoachFlu:

But we've been selling out our 3400 stadium this season already, so it's likely the board will start another expansion.

Well, as expected, the board have announced another expansion.

It's a good thing they took out a 725k loan over 15 years, otherwise I'd be in big trouble, heh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely that is a record low expansion! icon_biggrin.gif

This is one for cookie, we've just been approached by Skjetten for a friendly. Well I just had to except it. icon_wink.gif

Other Randaberg news currently - Is that I've raided the club I managed in this challenge last year Stavanger IF and duly poached some of their better players.

This is one for cookie, we've just been approached by Skjetten for a friendly. Well I just had to except it. icon_wink.gif

Other Randaberg news currently - Is that I've raided the club I managed in this challenge last year Stavanger IF and duly poached some of their better players.

I hope you don't get stuffed too badly icon_biggrin.gif

Skysports Newsflash

Since the sacking of England Manager Steve Maclaren the FA have been quick to draw up a list of potential managers. The names at the fore are Jose Mourinho, Sam Allardyce, Fabio Capello and Martin O’Neill. All bar Capello have declined interest in the position, deciding instead to continue in club management.

However, Skysports has learned that former Skjetten manager Marcus Evan Cook has been approached about the position.

Evan Cook has been quoted as saying,†It would be a great position for any manager, however at the moment I do not feel that I am ready. I wish to return to Norway and continue my management experience there, maybe in the future, I don’t know. Never say never!â€

This has caused quite a stir in Norway, with many speculating as to who the lucky club will be. When drawn on this subject Evan Cook replied, “ There will be an announcement at 5pm GMT, once the contact details have been finalised.†When asked if he would be returning to Skjetten, “Evan Cook just icon_biggrin.gif and said nothing!â€

icon_wink.gif

I'm all patched and ready to go icon_cool.gif

even before it really began, i am considering my future. i am coming to the conclusion that i prefer to start these challenges with a clean squad so i can build my own squad. i have taken on a full squad, which i don't think is cut out for the challenge, and am, at this early stage, struggling to shift the deadwood.

add to this the fact that the chairman is already looking to jump ship, i am considering jumping before i might be pushed.

what with the patch out as well, and the fact i've hardly started the challenge, i might well uproot and move north to the colder climbs of scandanavia.

just a quick question for those of you there already (and because i'm at work and can't check...) can you confirm how many playable leagues there are in Norway, Denmark and Finland please??

your help would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

even before it really began, i am considering my future. i am coming to the conclusion that i prefer to start these challenges with a clean squad so i can build my own squad. i have taken on a full squad, which i don't think is cut out for the challenge, and am, at this early stage, struggling to shift the deadwood.

add to this the fact that the chairman is already looking to jump ship, i am considering jumping before i might be pushed.

what with the patch out as well, and the fact i've hardly started the challenge, i might well uproot and move north to the colder climbs of scandanavia.

just a quick question for those of you there already (and because i'm at work and can't check...) can you confirm how many playable leagues there are in Norway, Denmark and Finland please??

your help would be much appreciated.

Not that i've started yet, but....

The lowest playable League in Norway is the Second Division. This is split into a number of sub leagues (4 Groups, each containing 14 teams)and can contain the Reserves of teams like Rosenberg (i seem to remember). Obviously they can not be promoted, so you do stand a good chance icon_razz.gif

Hope this helps icon14.gif

Finland- 2 Leagues, most likely to have a clean slate of a team (I will go back here one day!)

Denmark- 3 Leagues, not bad challenge thus far for me, heavily reliant on my parent club due to severe lack of quality frees! icon_smile.gif

Gundo is in Norway so I am sure he will help you out there.

Three divisions in Belgium (with a Div 3A and 3B).

There are very few restrictions in Belgium, which makes it a bit easier than other countries, I'd imagine. In particular, no limit to the number of loan players you can have, is very handy in the lower divisions.

The very gentle foreigner rule isn't all that useful in the lower divisions, but should come in handy later in the game. There used to be no foreigner rules at all, but since FM08 it's at least 6 "homegrown" players in the match squad. (homegrown being trained in Belgium, not necessarily at the club).

Originally posted by cookie15:

Skysports Newsflash

Since the sacking of England Manager Steve Maclaren the FA have been quick to draw up a list of potential managers. The names at the fore are Jose Mourinho, Sam Allardyce, Fabio Capello and Martin O’Neill. All bar Capello have declined interest in the position, deciding instead to continue in club management.

However, Skysports has learned that former Skjetten manager Marcus Evan Cook has been approached about the position.

Evan Cook has been quoted as saying,†It would be a great position for any manager, however at the moment I do not feel that I am ready. I wish to return to Norway and continue my management experience there, maybe in the future, I don’t know. Never say never!â€

This has caused quite a stir in Norway, with many speculating as to who the lucky club will be. When drawn on this subject Evan Cook replied, “ There will be an announcement at 5pm GMT, once the contact details have been finalised.†When asked if he would be returning to Skjetten, “Evan Cook just icon_biggrin.gif and said nothing!â€

icon_wink.gif

I'm all patched and ready to go icon_cool.gif

Was there ever any doubt about who you'd manage... I think not. icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome back to Norway cookie. icon14.gif I'll wish you the best of luck, (not that you'll need it. icon_wink.gif

cookie I remember you having a reserve team with Skjetten last time, seems I've got one aswell this year. I was wondering if you where asked at some point when you where promoted to either the Adeccoligaen or Tippeligaen whether you wanted your reserve team to join one of the group divisions? Our current reserve team don't have a league to play in so far, although I'm only in pre-season.

Originally posted by cookie15:

Gundo How did your friendly go against the mighty Skjetten?

Just curious but how's Grubicic going?

Still early days yet mate, I've just booted it up now and am just approaching my first friendly. I'm abit of a slow coach when I'm just starting off, it's taken me a while to find the players I want too. I hope to be playing that Skjetten game in the next couple of hours, I'll post the details aswell.

No loan rules in Denmark either. Wait for my update and you will see my squad icon_smile.gif

Does that mean you've completed a full season already! icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah.

Slightly addicted at the moment. Update soon. Just trawling through pre-season. Still lack a squad. icon_biggrin.gif

Archived