Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Good luck on staying up iacovone. Nice to see Novalja with a chance. icon_wink.gif

If he is you're most important player then I'm quite confident. I've got a pair of CM's that look twice the player he is and I've got a striker with 6 caps for Croatia, and I've not even considered my two parent clubs yet.

Gonna get some time in for a few hours just now. icon14.gif

...and good luck there too emgergo, you'll do it next season.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A warning to the curious: Slovenian 2nd league seems to be damn hard to get out of!

Just a look behind the scenes:

The difference in standard between the top tier and the second division is huge. Teams who go down have loads more quality than the regular second division outfits.

Let's see promotion and relegation in the save:

2007/08

- Relegated: Nafta

- Promoted: Triglav

2008/09

- Relegated: Livar (8 pts from safety)

- Promoted: Nafta (19-4-4, 7 pts clear of Aluminij)

2009/10

- Relegated: Triglav (17 pts from safety)

- Promoted: Livar (18-4-5, 7 pts clear)

2010/11

- Relegated: Nafta (11 pts from safety)

- Promoted: Mura (23-3-1, 22 pts clear over Triglav)

2011/12

- Relegated: Mura (13 pts from safety)

- Promoted: Triglav (24-2-1, 15 pts clear over Nafta)

You can see the pattern: usually the freshly relegated team goes back up (walking the league, too), and they have always reached at least the playoffs. No second division team, however, was able to win in the playoffs.

A further problem is, that even when a side goes up, it's almost always back in the second division in one (or two) seasons, so they cannot estabilish themselves.

The only team which was a regular in our division and gained promotion was Mura, who tok the league by storm last year, surprising pundits and even themselves.

Just to compare the league members in player value (this year):

1. Triglav 686K

2. Nafta 220K

3. Slovan 102K

4. Bela Krajina 40K

5. Krsko 28K

6. Bonifika 60K

7. Odranci 56K

8. Zavrc 50K

9. Izola 70K

10. NK Jadran Dekani 85K

Relegated Mura has a value of 220K.

Izola's and Jadran's value is over-representated because they gave senior contracts to 16-17 year olds, which means their value shot up; and I know that good performance also increases values. But still, you can see how much the top teams have over the others - that 2:1 ratio between Nafta and us is represented in quality on the pitch too.

The money I'm getting from the sale of my best ST can be good for buying maybe 2-3 players. If my lazy scouts find someone decent, we'll be stronger (if we find a good replacement in ST), but I really can't see how to cope with the big boys. It looks like that we're maybe a bit over the rest of the league, but if there is no radical improvement, we'll be eternal 3rd/4th.

My chance might be an awesome run (like Mura's, which lasted all year).

(sorry for being long, but I think this might be interesting)

You can see that

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Good luck on staying up iacovone. Nice to see Novalja with a chance. icon_wink.gif

If he is you're most important player then I'm quite confident. I've got a pair of CM's that look twice the player he is and I've got a striker with 6 caps for Croatia, and I've not even considered my two parent clubs yet.

Gonna get some time in for a few hours just now. icon14.gif

...and good luck there too emgergo, you'll do it next season.

Showoff. icon_frown.gif

Gundo's Randaberg IL 2008 End Of Season Report

This was an interesting season for me. Not for the managing in a foreign country (Norway, I'm kind of used to it now having managed their in last years challenge and having followed/monitored the Norwegian leagues irl recently) but because of the the patch 8.01 mainly. I do think it's changed the game quite significantly from the 'out of box' version. This is largely evident in the match engine, where tactically I have struggled a little (understatement). As the season progressed I gradually picked up what was needed and towards the later part of the season my frustrations lessened as I managed to figure out the tactics and it all started to make sense. \o/

My main jobs upon assuming control of Randaberg IL was to hire the relevant staff and sign some players to add to our 2! part-time contract players we currently had (excluding re-gen youth players), neither of them where going to be of any lasting use due to their severe lack of pace. So having managed to add to my squad I knew from who I had signed that we would have a tough job on to get promoted. I couldn't even tempt any decent loanees to join us and our parent club Bryne weren't helping matters by loaning their better youngsters to other division 2 clubs rather than to us! icon_frown.gif

The board wanted a respectable position and I duly agreed. The season it self was steady as anything and we managed to hover around mid-table for much of the season, eventually finishing 7th. The division we are in was in all truth awful, lighted up briefly by one or two players on-loan at other clubs that could have been plying their trade at a much higher level. The division also contained two reserve teams for Tippeligaen sides - Viking 2 and Start 2, who by the way cannot be promoted despite finishing 1st & 2nd respectively this season, that is another factor that adds to the interesting Norwegian league layout. icon_biggrin.gif

League table 2008.

League positions.

Randaberg squad.

I'm not going to bother mentioning any of my players as I don't think any of them are deserving of a mention. icon_razz.gif

Finances are in good shape, our coaches could be better and or overall confidence is fair to middling. icon14.gif

All in all I am satisfied with the way things went and I'll look to build on the foundations I've put down for next season. Now that my tactical experiments are out of the way (fingers crossed) I can settle down and really focus on finding players of the required quality. I will also be looking for a new parent club in the close season as I was far from impressed by Brynes antics!

Skjetten and Assiden IF beware because the Mighty Randaberg Il have arrived! icon_cool.gif

The final word is that this challenge is way harder than last years imo, but I'm loving the added difficulty of course. icon_wink.gif

To be fair emgergo that's a good analysis. It was very similar for me in my Icelandic save. Once in the Prem, although we did make small steps up the league, there existed a 'big 4' that had such a huge advantage over the rest of the league that I just couldn't see anyone closing it. It could be a similar case for you here. I also think I may experience the same troubles in Croatia looking at my first season.

Despite all this, I actually think this is quite realistic and SI have done well here. In these smaller leagues, it is invariable that teams going up will struggle to attract the players they need to survive - why would a player from the 12th placed side move to a newly promoted team? And with the pool of talent being so small domestically, you would excpect promoted sides (unless they had a very rich and ambitious chairman) to struggle to attract the quality required.

Originally posted by freek_teek:

By popular demand,

Patrick Burda

Not really living up to the hype, tough...

Quality. icon14.gif

Can you get him scouted yet? Judging by the attributes I can see their, his ability doesn't look as impressive, maybe he'll develop into a really gem like in FM07 though. icon_cool.gif

Nice start Gundo icon14.gif

Looks like having 2nd teams in the league will help your promotion aspirations. icon_wink.gif

aaberdeenn - it turns out the player I singled out earlier, Spicic, has been touted for the young player of the year award icon_eek.gif

Looks like you could end up walking the league! Although I have to say I think you underestimate Spicic - his pace has worked wonders!

Spot on icon14.gif

It might be interesting looking at the leagues in this challenge, how hard is promotion from one to the other.

For example last year I've found basically no difference between the Swedish 4th and 3rd tier, then a huge step up for the 2nd, and another (but not so huge) to the Allsvenskan.

I think the dividing line is between the part- and the full-timers.

In the current save almost all Slovenian 1st league teams are absolutely full-time, some weaker sides have backups on part-time contracts. The recently relegated 2nd league teams are also full-time, but we (and the rest of the league) don't have a single full-time player.

Hard nut to crack, but I love the challenge icon14.gif

TKP Torun in the Polish Second Division

Mid Season Update 08/09

Well after my last game, I was hoping to improve with TKP Torun, and thankfully have done so.

We started the season with a 2-1 away win, and although it took us until our 4th home game for our first home win, our home form has been good since with 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat.

1-0 seems to be our prefered scorline, which is nervy toward the end of games!

But our strikers are decent, with one especially good one. Our goalie is also very good - screenshots of both will (if i remember!) be in the end of season report.

So, to the table. We sit 6th in the league after 19 (of 34) games, going into the 3 month winter break.

Lets hope we keep it up! icon14.gif

More like it supermas, keep it up!

aaberdeenn thats a great decision, especially considering how bad some of these defences are. Target man with 'run onto ball' usually works wonders....(are we allowed to talk tactics? not noticed anyone do it so far, so apologies if Im in the wrong!)

emgergo - I think the beauty of this challenge could be that we all struggle together! I have a feeling that other than the larger nations, we could all experience similar difficulties. To be honest, like people have said, I think this is a good thing.

Meldert, Belgium - December 22nd 2013

Mid-season table

We had our almost traditional slow start to the season, with two defeats, but after that things went fairly smoothly.

The question is whether "fairly smoothly" will be enough to save my job. It's not under fire yet, but it will be before long.

Here's why: Finances.

Still in the black for now, but if you look at the Outstanding Loans, you can see that that won't last much longer. We'll be in the red by February. We'll be massively in the red by the end of the season. After that, I don't even dare to speculate.

(For those who missed it in a previous post: the board took out a massive loan last summer to build a new stadium, despite the club relegating back to the Second Division. I reported it as a bug, since this is a clear case of criminal mismanagement.)

To be honest, I'm not very optimistic about being able to finish the challenge under these circumstances. Not throwing in the towel just yet though, I wanna see how long I survive.

The only chance I have of hanging on to my job is if I consistently over-achieve on the pitch, to counterbalance the board's wrath about the finances. I'll have to do that for the next... erm... fifteen seasons or so.

Overachieving will already be a problem this season. After our brief stint in the top division, the board expects us to challenge for the Second Division title this season. Which is fair enough, really, just makes it kinda hard to over-achieve. Luckily I had a bit of a financial cushion, so I should survive until the end of the season. Hopefully.

But I have only one option: we HAVE to gain promotion this season. If not, I doubt I'll last long next season. If we promote, at least I'll score well on the "long term expectations" bar, and if the season expectations are to be relegation battlers, that gives me the possibility to over-achieve a little. Even if I'll have to do it without money.

After next season... no sense in thinking that far ahead. We may be declared bankrupt by then, or the board may not offer me a new contract. Or I may have gotten the sack already anyway. Time well tell. One step at a time. First step: promotion.

Annihilator666 - Nortel - Season 08/09 - Northern Irish Second Division

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Kenny Neilly

Fans' Player of the Year - Ross McMullan

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

A pretty good first season in the Second Division for Nortel. We actually hit the top of the league around about the half way point, but a run of four straight defeats ruined our chances of promotion.

In the cups, I had a good run to the Semi Finals of the Intermediate League Cup, but lost out to Ballyclare Comrades. My other cup runs weren't very good.

The board provided me with a very good parent club, Linfield. They're sending me a GK for the new season so hopefully he turns out to be good. Financially, the club is a mess. I was using about 85% of the club's wage budget, but still made a loss of £80k for the season. I have no idea where the hell I am going to make money from.

Hey Annihilator, good work on the updates, but I have a question if you feel like it.

I've been doing this challenge in N.Ireland as well but have been too busy to update. How have you been doing in cup draws with amateur teams that have almost all grey players? I've been getting right destroyed by them all the time even though I got promoted my first year into the first division.

I lose these cup games to grey teams and can't score for my life and then go on next week to smash my league opponent or at least be very competitive. The sad thing is that in these cup draws I pray for full squad teams because I can't beat the amateur greys!

Yes Gundo, do watch your back!! don't forget that mighty Assimes IF!! icon_wink.gif

on a personal level, i've not had chance to play much last few days but buoyed on by your success i think i'll have another dabble tonight.

a quick question though - where did you get the club badge and the league badges from?? i've had no look finding them so far... have you the kits too?

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Yes Gundo, do watch your back!! don't forget that mighty Assimes IF!! icon_wink.gif

on a personal level, i've not had chance to play much last few days but buoyed on by your success i think i'll have another dabble tonight.

a quick question though - where did you get the club badge and the league badges from?? i've had no look finding them so far... have you the kits too?

For badges, check out this site about a quarter of the way down. Pretty much all the logos you could ever need.

That site also has a lot of kits too. Sortitoutsi.net is quality :p

Facepacks for Tippeligaen and 1.division here.

Adeccoligaen Standard Logos.

2.division Standard Logos.

Tippeligaen Standard Badges.

Kits for Tippeligaen - SS'08 Style.

I think that's most of them. No kits made for the 2.division yet.

No-one has made the non-league logos yet as far as i'm aware? I had just my Randaberg logo enhanced and resized over in the FMGlive forums. So if you can find a basic badge for your club somewhere on the net, then ask if someone can resize to small, normal, large and background r/l. You'll have map(config file) it into your game aswel.

Hope this helps.

note to self - warning to others

When commenting on penalty decisions, exercise caution.

Although it may endear you to your players to support them, it can lead to a touchline ban. Whilst this will not be news to you, let me tell you a story...

This was the case last night. I was banned for the first game after the mid-season break, an away game to the team who were languishing at the bottom of the table. The team who were giving me a great sense of ease, as, since they had won exactly zero games thus far, they were very likely to take the only relegation slot and thus guarantee my safety...

Anyway, I was due to serve my ban, so I set up my team with a fairly defensive look, but not too defensive. As I said, they didn't seem like too much of a threat.

Kick-off! And 10 minutes in one my strikers picks up a knock. You know, he has a green cross and his fitness has gone down a bit. The commentary says he should be able to run it off.

Now, I dont know about you, but I always take these players off if there's a significant drop in fitness. I am aware, however, that the AI does not follow this policy. Fitness drops to 75% instantly. I'm worried.

We reach half time, and its 0-0. There's been chances on each side, but most interestingly, my injured striker is, in my opinion, failing to run off his 'knock'. His motion is visibly slower as the second half begins. His fitness level? Below 50%...

When we conceded in the 75th minute his fitness was 14% and he was barely moving on the pitch. It was worse than playing with 10 men, because his bloody teammates were still playing through balls for him to run on to. Run? A dead horse could've moved faster...

So we go 1-0 down, but there's plenty of time left. A change in personel could be a good plan here, I'm thinking. Nope AI assistant just plods on, as does my injured striker...

81 minutes gone and we make some changes. Striker finally comes off on 9% fitness. Needless to say, we lost 1-0. And my striker? Out with a thigh strain for 4 months...

Awesome

icon_frown.gif

iacovone's End of Season Update, Slavonija, Croatian Second Division

Well I was right in my earlier update, we stayed up quite comfortbaly in the end and pressed on towards 6th place. The real problem in this League is shown by the top 3. All three of these clubs are professional whereas the rest of the league are part time. No mere coincidence that they finished where they did (and so comfortably). It is something emgergohas experienced in his save and it is definitely going to be interesting to see if it is the case elsewhere.

Our season really picked up after the halfway point. By this time my loanees were starting to gel and I had assembled something vaguely looking like a competent squad! As the graph shows we steadily climbed after a poor start.

Top goalscorer and key performer: Spicic

I was also very pleased with the two keepers I brought in. They were not loanees so will be around for sometime and despite not getting a great average rating, they rarely conceded soft goals and mainly blocked what I expected of them.

The Finances are still not looking rosy. We had to fork out 40k for squad bonuses this season, and I dare not offer the lowest next season! Hopefully with the new expansions to the stadium (seen on the info page) we can begin to generate more match day income.

Stats Corner

Looking at our results against the top 3 teams it makes for depressing reading. We were soundly beaten 3-0 and 3-1 by second place Kamen Ingrad. Our results were much closer with the league champions Sibenik. We lost 3-2 away after leading 2-1. But the worst was at home - the collapse of the ages. icon_redface.gif. We were 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go when Sibenik laid seige to our goal. 3 goals in 5 minutes led to a 4-3 loss. Truly mortifying! icon_frown.gif. We really do need to create a solid defensive formation to close out games.

Our results against third place Osijek (tipped for the title) were 3-0 and 4-0 defeats. Not good reading.

We conceded a whopping 13 penalties this season. 7 of which were scored, 2 were rebounds. So at least my keepers can save a pen. But this will have to be improved next season.

Ambitions

Hopefully make a profit.

Improve on 8th place.

Build the squad up and rely less on youth players.

Enjoying the challenge, good luck everyone else icon14.gificon_cool.gif

i do use sortitoutsi.net alot for kits etc and do already have quite a lot, but hadn't seen anything for Norway except for kits for top league and logos i already have. i have to admit i got a bit carried away seeing your squad with the logos!! icon_biggrin.gif

i'll see what i can do with regard to getting myself a logo done. thanks for your help!

imagine my embarassment in realising i'd spelt the name of my team wrong!! icon_redface.gif it should obviously have read ASSIDEN IF.........

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

imagine my embarassment in realising i'd spelt the name of my team wrong!! icon_redface.gif it should obviously have read ASSIDEN IF......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you had, but didn't say anything. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Fire Bracelet:

Hey Annihilator, good work on the updates, but I have a question if you feel like it.

I've been doing this challenge in N.Ireland as well but have been too busy to update. How have you been doing in cup draws with amateur teams that have almost all grey players? I've been getting right destroyed by them all the time even though I got promoted my first year into the first division.

I lose these cup games to grey teams and can't score for my life and then go on next week to smash my league opponent or at least be very competitive. The sad thing is that in these cup draws I pray for full squad teams because I can't beat the amateur greys!

Ya, I've noticed it in this challenge and in dafuge's challenge. It was a bug which they said they had fixed in the final patch, but they haven't. If you look at some of the grey players on those teams, they have stats that are way better than your own players.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

imagine my embarassment in realising i'd spelt the name of my team wrong!! icon_redface.gif it should obviously have read ASSIDEN IF......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you had, but didn't say anything. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should have kept quiet then!! icon_wink.gif ha ha. hopefully i manage them better than remembering their name....

After seeing that the top 3 teams in my division were fully professional I've undertaken the painstaking task of offering full time contracts to all of my players. So far it's been promising, club captain - Nevio Berdi signing within 1 day.

iacovone's Very Exciting Pre Season Update

Basically just a chance to show you the players I've brought in. It's been a productive off-season with plenty of young and talented players coming in having been released by the previous clubs. I've also given all the part-timers I wanted to keep full time contracts. The rest have been offloaded. 3 have left, 2 have retired and none of the loanees wanted to stay, so complete rebuilding had to be done.

We are predicted to come 10th which is just slightly below mid-table. Anyway here are the new boys:

Darko Verhas - very high hopes for this guy icon_cool.gif

Sasa Jelenic - potentially Verhas's long term partner at the back if he develops right

Ivan Glavina

Zvonko Bilic

Josip Soljic

Zdravko Semialjac - pace! icon_biggrin.gif

Luka Jovic - another great prospect

So all in all, a brand new squad, which definitely contains enough potential to far exceed the ability of last years squad (if they haven't already) I'm sure there will also be a few more additions coming soon.

aaberdeenn your club Novalja, despite going down, signed the Croatian Under 21 Captain from under my nose. It must be an attractive place to play!

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I've got 6 Croatian U19 internationals in my first team squad and each one of them is on £5 a week. icon_razz.gif

My wage budget is over 7k and I'm taking up just over 2k.

So this is only happening in the Northern Irish leagues. I mean, almost half my wage budget (£880 out of £2000 per week) is going to unused youth players, and it totally sucks.

Békéscsaba Elöre FC 2011/12 Winter Break

One word, ownage, before the season I bought some new defenders such as Mr Kiss to make up for my weak full backs last season. The money came from selling this brave guy for £100K (who then tore his achilles in his first game for new team tehe).

The new defence lets in the fewest goals in the league and some games is amazing, at the end of this game came the message, Duck's boys never looked like losing icon_smile.gif

All of this leaves me comfortably winning the league by quite a long way. I think its actually quite easy to have success in this league since the computer plays it full team in the sucky league cup where I play just reserves. This means their players have two games a week to my one, the cup is that bad.

Even my finances are starting to look up a bit, leveling off at least or i could optimistically say I'm making money.

Originally posted by Fire Bracelet:

All my youth players get 100 a week while my main players get a lot less. I love the feature where you can't release them without giving them 5-10k each. icon_mad.gif

I found a small work-around. If you offer them new part time contracts on the same wages, but only until the end of the season, they will usually accept. So it means you will only have them for one season instead of the three year youth contract.

Originally posted by Quacky:

Békéscsaba Elöre FC 2011/12 Ninja Update

To whoever said that Péter Odrobéna sucked, I think it was emgergo, he just solved my financial hole. I have no idea where the other team got the money from but I need a new DM.

Yup, it was me. And yes, he does suck hairy arse IRL icon_biggrin.gif

Pápa has a quite rich owner, who owned several clubs earlier (Haladás and Tatabánya), and always jumped ship when his team were in trouble icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

Wow, I would have to say...YES! Was he a youth product or did you discover him??

One of my scouts found him last season when he was only 16yo, I'd tracked him for the season. He went on to score 20 goals in 24 games that season at the age of just 16, so he is proven at this level at that age aswell! icon_eek.gif

The strange thing is our coach's/scouts don't rate him much in terms of potential, which is alittle odd? icon_confused.gif

Archived