I know Maastricht, but you have to live with it, son!

Deisler26

vt_nofoto.jpg

MVV Maastricht

2018-19 Season Review

Eredivisie_logosvg_zpsdad21515.png

In our season back in the top flight, we managed to finish 10th in the Eredivisie. A turn for the worst greeted our back end of the season, however, a nice little run of three wins out of five (and an unlucky last minute defeat to Vitesse Arhem) gave us some false hope that we could push on this season. Nope. We proceded to lose five in a row, including a 1-5 defeat to AFC Ajax Amsterdam & a 1-3 defeat to FC Twente, a fortnight before the KNVB Beker semi final. By the time we had qualified for the Final, I was reduced to playing the backups in an attempt to keep my main players fresh. A good 1-0 win over SC Cambuur was followed by a 2-3 defeat to FC Groningen, again, two weeks before the cup match. The Groningen game was notable for a 93rd minute penalty being given to Groningen, despite there being no contact in the area!!! We ended the season on a high note with a 1-0 win over PEC Zwolle and a 2-2 draw with (eventually) relegated AZ Alkmaar.

- League Table - Results -

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

Well. What a season. We started off, expecting our usual Third Round exit, and ended up winning the whole damn thing!!

- Cup Run -

---------------------------------

Manager's Thoughts

An amazing season, cup-wise, sees us into Europe for the first time! Let's hope we can build on this!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 2: Los Leones 1 - 0 Cristianos

HsmXr.png

Athletic Club de Bilbao

Athletic Club, also commonly known as Athletic Bilbao, is a professional football club, based in Bilbao, Biscay, Basque Country, Spain.[2]

They are known as Los Leones (The Lions) because their stadium was built near a church called San Mamés (Saint Mammes). Mammes was a semi-legendary early Christian thrown to the lions by the Romans. Mammes pacified the lions and was later made a saint.

The club has played in La Liga since its start in 1929. They have won the league on eight occasions. In the historical classification of La Liga, Athletic are in fourth place and one of only three clubs which have never been relegated from the Liga, the others being Real Madrid and Barcelona. In the table of Copa del Rey titles, Bilbao is second only to FC Barcelona, having won the Cup 24 times. The club also has a women's team, which has won four championships in the Primera División Femenina.

The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting top Basque players from other clubs (like Joseba Etxeberria and Javi Martínez). Athletic official policy is signing professional players native to or trained in football in the greater Basque Country, including Biscay, Gipuzkoa, Álava and Navarre (in Spain); and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre (in France). This has gained Athletic both admirers and critics. The club has been praised for promoting home grown players and club loyalty. Athletic is one of only four professional clubs in Spain in La Liga (the others being Real Madrid, Barcelona and Osasuna) that is not a sports corporation; it is owned and operated by its club members.

Athletic's main rival is Real Sociedad, against whom it plays the Basque derby.

(infomation from Wikipedia)

Congratulations on the cup win, great achievement. You are leaving MVV in a stable condition, however I think it is a shame you won't be there when they are off on their European adventure. Bilbao is an amazing step forward though! Awesome stadium, great club philosophy! Best of luck!

Many, many thanks. I would have stayed to guide them through their European adventure, but Bilbao are one of only two clubs who I would have willingly left for early.

Wondering, who's the other one? ;) By the way, saw one of your former star players play live last night: Rodney Sneijder :D

The other one was Werder Bremen!

And awesome! Although, let's hope he doesn't demand a transfer like he did on my game!

An excellent final season with MVV. Good to sign off with some silverware too :thup:

What's the current state of play with Athletic? Capable of a top six finish?

I honestly don't know. There isn't much in the prospect cupboard and no players worth buying from overseas/domestic.

Am trying a dual raumdeuter system, but not sure on the ramifications. Still in pre-season.

HsmXr.png

Athletic Club Bilbao

End of Aug 2019 Transfer Window

I rocked up at my new club, determined to make a success of myself. The squad was not the best, however, I figured a strikerless, dual raumdeuter system would be enough to see us through. My only hire was my ass man from MVV, Toon Gerits. All the facilities and youth systems were top notch so I figured I didn't need much to do... We were given the target of making Europe with a £20m war chest and £1m wage budget

220px-Liga_BBVA.svg.png

My first game in Spain was an outstanding success as my 4-1-5-0 formation destroyed poor RCD Espanyol 4-0. They had no answer and we majestically swept them aside, thanks to an Unal Lopez double and two penalties. We then took a 2-0 lead over Gimnastic Tarragon, through Markel Suseta & Iker Munian, but two late goals pegged us back. It was the same story against Sporting Gijon. 0-1 down, a double from Unai Lopez, but a late goal pegged us back. This team were struggling. A lot.

- Table - Fixtures -

----------------------

Transfers

This was a **** show. The previous manager had sold so many player, that all the good midfielders were at other clubs and I was left with a bunch of average rookies all on the wings, no midfield at all! I bought back MC Erik Moran for £4.7m from Levante and picked up 37-year old Basque legend DM/MC Xabi Alonso for £1m from FC Bayern Munich. Finally two young players were brought in as well.

Going out were a LOAD of deadwood and a talented young defender who was sold over my head for £3.2m to Fiorentina. I'm really worried as this team has no depth, no prospects and not much chance of making Europe.

- Transfers -

Chapter 3: Get me some Dutch lager, I'm an Alkmaar-holic

250px-AZ_Alkmaarsvg_zps5ffa6a31.png

AZ Alkmaar

Alkmaar Zaanstreek, better known as AZ Alkmaar or simply AZ, is a professional football club from Alkmaar and the Zaanstreek, Netherlands.

AZ was founded on 10 May 1967 as AZ '67, the result of a merger of Alkmaar '54 and FC Zaanstreek. FC Zaanstreek was formed in 1964, continuing the professional adventure of the Kooger Football Club (KFC). KFC had been founded in 1910, had nearly become National Champion in 1934 through a narrow loss to Ajax in the finals, and had been professional since 1955.

In 1964, the brothers Cees and Klaas Molenaar, former players for KFC and owners of a growing appliance store chain, sought to create a powerful football team in Zaanstreek by merging the two local professional teams: KFC and Zaanlandsche Football Club.

After this merger failed, they successfully merged KFC (now "FC Zaanstreek") with Alkmaar '54; the team would be based in Alkmaar. Partially through the hiring of expensive foreign players, the new club soon acquired large debts. Fortunately in 1972 the Molenaar brothers bailed it out and invested heavily in the club, to the point that AZ '67 were successful in the late seventies and early eighties, regularly playing European football from 1977 to 1982 whilst also winning the Dutch Cup three times over that period.

After four close league campaigns AZ finally became Dutch champions in 1981, they were the only team other than the "big three" (Ajax, Feyenoord, and PSV) to do so in a 44 year period spanning from 1965 to 2009, when AZ once again won the league title. They won the 1980–81 season with overwhelming power, winning 27 of 34 matches and only losing once whilst scoring a club record 101 goals and conceding just 30 goals.

The same season AZ reached the final of the UEFA Cup, losing 5-4 on aggregate to Ipswich Town. The next year in the UEFA Champions League they lost in the second round 3-2 on aggregate to Liverpool. The involvement of businessman Dirk Scheringa in the mid 1990s marked the revival of the club as AZ returned to the Eredivisie in 1998.

After a 22 year hiatus from European football AZ appeared in the 2004–05 UEFA Cup advancing to the semi-finals. The second leg of the semi-final against Sporting CP had a heart-breaking conclusion, when Sporting scored in the 122nd minute (2 minutes into stoppage time) to reach an aggregate score of 4-4, Sporting advanced to the Final thanks to the away goals rule. In the same season AZ finished third in the Eredivisie, qualifying for the UEFA Cup again. These were great achievements for the club which does not have a similar sized fanbase relative to Eredivisie and European rivals; AZ's home ground until the 2006-07 season, the Alkmaarderhout, had a capacity of only 8,390.

In the summer of 2006, the club moved to a new 17,000 capacity stadium AZ Stadion. On 21 December 2011, during the quarter final of the KNVB Cup, a 19 year old Ajax fan entered the Amsterdam ArenA pitch in the 36th minute, with Ajax winning 1-0, attacking AZ goalkeeper Esteban Alvarado. The fan slipped and Alvarado kicked the fan twice, which led to the goalkeeper being sent off. Following this, Gertjan Verbeek ordered his players to leave the pitch for the dressing room in protest. Later, the match was played again on 19 January 2012, with Alvarado's red card rescinded. AZ won the match 3-2

There is something about those brownies in the Maastricht cafes. After realising that I'd made a mistake going to Bilbao (too much pressure and not enough talent to achieve it) I left after 2 months. But, I wasn't out of work for long, as AZ offered me the job..

However, look at the financial situation..

ScreenShot2014-11-29at131940_zps2580e756.pngScreenShot2014-11-28at073652_zps955055e7.png

....Oh my..

That is quite a remarkable financial situation there....spending over TWICE the wage budget...

I think they slashed the budget massively when they were relegated last season and then didn't sell players. They're also in adminstration too.

250px-AZ_Alkmaarsvg_zps5ffa6a31.png

AZ Alkmaar

End of Jan 2020 Transfer Window

10857f28-e3bd-4ff7-be72-e112d976b63d_zps9af89367.png

- Table -

240px-Dutchjupilerleague_zpsf8de752b.jpg

A tough few months for me, back in Holland. I had no money and my brief was to win the Jupiler League.. My first game back in the Jupiler was a solid 2-0 win over Achillies '29, with young winger Jan van den Berg scoring a brace. Wonderful. Again, AZ were proving to be very light in the midfield and defence, so managing fitness was my goal until January. Two defeats to teams with promotion aspirations in NAC Breda & VVV Venlo dented my own title hopes. A morale-boosting 4-2 win over Almere City, on the back of Nemanja Gudelj's double was swiftly followed by a 1-2 defeat to FC Oss and a 2-2 draw with Sparta Rotterdam, to leave us as low as 13th..

Changes were desperately needed. So I changed my formations that had served me well at MVV and went with a 4-3-3/4-5-1. The results were instantanous. I remained unbeaten until the end of the window, with just four points dropped in two seperate 2-2 draws with both high-flying De Graafshaap & mid-table SBV Excelsior. Still, we didn't seem to be gaining any traction on the leaders and our game with RKC Waalwijk was being reported as being my final stand. Luckily, goals from Steven Berghuis and on-loan Newcastle striker Andrew Johnson sealed a 2-1 win and kept the pressure off. The Excelsior draw and a hard-fought 2-1 win over Fortuna Sittard

-----------

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

In the KNVB Beker, I played my first competitive game as AZ boss against Harkemase Boys. After sending them back with their tail between their legs, thanks to a 4-0 win, we entertained Eredivisie side Go Ahead Eagles in the Third Round. A tight, ding-dong battle saw them take the lead twice, and be pegged back twice to see the score 2-2 at full time and enter extra time. Finally, midfielder Soufyan Ahannach fired home from the edge of a packed area on 109 mins, to claim a famous scalp.

Sadly, our little run came to an end in the Fourth Round as we went down fighting to a Eredivise-strugging Willem II Tilburg, 1-2.

- Cup Run -

-----------

Transfers:

I got a notification at the beginning of Dec, asking me if I wanted to resign my soon-to-be out of contract players. The problem was that I was £50k over on the wage budget and couldn't offer anyone a decent wage. The second problem was that this was 3/4 of the team with contracts running out. With no recourse, I opened dialogue with all the players I wanted to keep. However, sadly, no-one of them wanted to stay. So no matter what happens, I'm going to lose most of my team in the near future.

First up, I snagged two ex-Barcelona B players in Ibrahima Cisse and Lionel Enguene on free transfers. They didn't want much in the way of wages, so I gladly took them on. Also coming in were two loanees. ST Andrew Johnson from Newcastle United & AMRC Jose Ramon Vasquez from Atletico Madrid.

Selling-wise, I had to cash in on the fact that no-one wanted to sign a new contract. Out went club captain and best player Nemanja Gudelj for £575k to Getafe, a number of young players who would never make the grade, AML Jurgen van Dalen to Fortuna Sittard on a free tranfser & GK Esteban to Terek Grozny for £1.5m. These sales & releases helped bring our wage bill down to a mere £5k over budget!

Archived