I know Maastricht, but you have to live with it, son!

Deisler26

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vt_nofoto.jpg

MVV Maastricht

2016-17 Season Review

240px-Dutchjupilerleague_zpsf8de752b.jpg

A fairly inconsistent Jupiler League season saw us finish 5th overall. Although we fufilled the board's objectives, it was a frustrating season. After Christmas, we went on a fantastic run of only three defeats until the end of the season! One was a disappointing collapse to eventual league winners SC Heerenveen. Despite a 30 yard goal from Gedion Zelalem, we conceded on 86 minutes to leave us with a disappointing 1-2 defeat. Our next defeat was a terrible performance to go down 1-2 to Almere City. We then managed a six-game winning streak! Beating promotion contenders (SBV Excelsior & Sparta Rotterdam), mid-table teams (De Graafshaap & FC Eindhoven) and relegation candidates (Achilles '29 & Jong PSV).

We then suffered a late 0-1 defeat at second-placed RKC Waalwijk to dent our hopes of finishing any higher. A dour 0-0 draw with Jong Twente followed and I was getting more & more frustrated with our perfomances. None more so than in the penultimate game of the season against SC Telstar . A scramble in THEIR box, led to a leisurely break down the left hand side and the full back had all the time in the world to dink a cross in for the forward to head home. Urgh. It felt like it just wasn't our day and this was compounded by Junior Hoilett's 80th minute break into the box, only to slide the ball against the keeper when it seemed easier to score. However, I reckoned without Gedion Zelalem who came up with a thunderous shot to tie it up on 87 minutes. I was happy with the draw, but Jentl Gaethofs had other ideas, as on 90 minutes he burst down the left, cut inside and fired into the net, with the keeper flapping. Finally, a 94th minute breakaway saw Chuba Akpom slot home to make it 3-1, when we didn't deserve it at all.

The final league game of the season saw us win a quiet game, 2-1 against FC Volendam. This concluded the league season, and gave us a Eredivisie Second Round Relegation Playoff tie against SBV Excelsior.

- League Table - Results -

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

We really didn't take this seriously. A Third Round thrashing at the hands of a top Eredivisie side wasn't a terrible result.

---------------------------------

Manager's Thoughts

The sale of Sœbo to Arsenal has really, really helped us financially. So much so, that I'm looking forward to next season's signings already!!

4 May 2017

Eredivisie Relegation Playoff Second Round, First Leg

De Geusselt, Maastricht

46oF 19:30 k/o

MVV Maastricht...............2

Chris David 30, Junior Hoilett 53

SBV Excelsior.......................2

A wet, rainy night in Maastricht saw us in exactly the same position last year, only this time we were striving to go up, not stay up. The team had no injury worries, thanks to the two week break before the match, so we lined up in the usual formation and XI.

We kicked off to a roaring home crowd. On 22 minutes, a long goal kick by Jarstein was headed on by Akpom. Quick as a flash, Chris David outpaced the defence and was one-on-one with the keeper. Sadly, he put his shot too close to the onrushing keeper and the ball was saved, then cleared away. Two minutes later, Excelsior hit the bar from the edge of the area, forcing a mad scramble to clear the ball, which we eventually did. On 29 minutes, Dan Crowley picked the ball up, just past the half way line. He rolled the ball back to Vorsah, who launched a high ball towards Akpom. Akpom beat the defender in the air and knocked it down to Chris David who took two steps and fired a long, 20 yard strike low into the far corner. 1-0. The crowd went wild.

We made it into half time with the lead. I calmly told the team that they could do this, I had faith in them and sent them back out. The good feeling lasted all of two minutes, as a wayward clearing header by Hoilett dropped to an Excelsior player, who passed it forward to the striker. The striker stumbled through a slide tackle, then seemed to shin it into the net. 1-1. A very disappointing goal to concede.

However, 5 minutes later, a throw on the right hand side was taken by Bellerin. He threw to Akpom, who knocked it back down the line for him. He steadied himself and whipped in a good cross for Junior Hoilett to get a toe on. The keeper saved the initial effort, but he was there to tuck in the rebound. 2-1. Sadly, the other shoe dropped on 74 minutes, as another poorly cleared corner fell to the Excelsior midfielder, who took two steps and curled an 25 yard effort effort past Jarstein's despairing dive. 2-2.

I then shut down the game from there and the rest of the game passed without incident. We have quite a battle on our hands for the second leg.

PoM: Chris David

7 May 2017

Eredivisie Relegation Playoff Second Round, Second Leg

Woudestein, Rotterdam

55oF 14:30 k/o

MVV Maastricht...............1 (3)

Chris David 30

SBV Excelsior.......................1 (3)

A windy day in Rotterdam greated us as we prepared to do battle in the second leg of our attempt at winning promotion. All that stood in our way was SBV Excelsior and, after a 2-2 draw in the first leg, the game was poised of a knife edge.

We had to make one enforced change, left back Pieter Tol injured his ankle, so in came Swedish full back Jonas Gelaesen. I chose him over Braafheid, because I needed the extra pace.

We kicked off and were straight into the game. Almost immediately, we were nearly a goal down as, on 5 minutes, a funny, spinning, looping cross-cum-shot from an Excelsior player hit both the bar AND the post before coming out and being cleared. Our luck seemed to desert us on 22 minutes as we did everything in a goalmouth scramble, but score. And on 29 minutes, the biggest blow of all, Chuba Akpom had to come off injured. This guy was the focal point of this particular tweaked formation and we'd have to revert with him off the pitch. On came Lucas Walbrecq. I feared for us then..

Hoilett seemed energised by the move up front, and on 33 minutes, he fired a cross shot from the far corner of the 18 yard box, which smacked the bar and was cleared. Sadly, we conceded the first goal on 43 minutes as their striker turned two defenders inside the area and fired past Jarstein. 0-1. Dammit... I shouted at the players to show me more passion just after and, on 47 minutes, David burst from midfield and unleashed a rasping drive, which thumped off the post. Were we ever going to get a break?

Finally, on 53 minutes, we prised them open again as Hoilett was set free through the middle. His shot from the edge of the box was saved by the keeper, but Chris David seized on the rebound and sneaked it in at the near post, despite the best efforts of the recovering keeper. 1-1. However, Excelsior still led on away goals, so we needed another goal.

64 minutes, and our 1-2 punch of David to Hoilett worked again, seeing Hoilett through and finishing with aplomb with a low shot. But the referee (rightly) called it back for offside. We were fading fast, and a free-kick on theirs struck the bar on 71 mins and the rebound(s) were kept out by a combination of a good save and fantastic defending.

We threw everything forward, but it wasn't enough and, when the full time whistle blew, we were out of the playoffs..

PoM: SBV Excelsior player

Shame about the playoff it looked like your side gave it a go though. Strange ground share but maybe it'll boost your attendances and finances a little?

Well, it would be nice haha! And, yeah, if only we were away in the first leg!

vt_nofoto.jpg

MVV Maastricht

End of Aug 2017 Transfer Window

Sadly, we were set for another Jupiler League season, so I had to pick up the players and get ready to attempt what the board wanted this season. And this season, they wanted me to win the Jupiler League and were giving me a huge war chest to do so! We'd also been given the go-ahead for some stadium improvements that would require us to ground-share with PSV Eindhoven, as well as some training ground improvements for the youth team. Sadly, the board kept rejecting all calls for an improvement to the youth coaching setup, but I ended up signing a new contract, with the proviso built in.

Well, it's not been an auspicious start in the Jupiler League this season for us, sadly. A wonderful 3-1 win over RKC Waalwijk, in which late goals by Chris David & Junior Hoilett gave us a good platform to start with! Sadly, we suffered the reverse against a pace-setting FC Den Bosch side, with only a Chris David finish to show for our (minor) efforts. A good 2-1 win over FC Volendam, with goals from new signing Sheraldo Becker & loanee Stewart Ryder, saw us heading the right way up the table, before a dour 0-0 draw with Almere City snuffed out all momentum in it's tracks..

- Table - Fixtures -

-----------------------------

Transfers

What an off-season THIS was! I'm not putting up profiles of the players, but if you want, I'll post to order!

First off, incoming were my faithful Arsenal loanees Dan Crowley, Hector Bellerin & Gedion Zelalem. However, both Crowley & Bellerin were permanent transfers, as I'd snapped them up on a Bosman. I attempted with Zelalem and actually got him to agree to a contract, but Arsenal just offered him more. Also arriving from Arsenal was Italian midfielder Davide Lamorte on loan.

I then stole away two great prospects from AFC Ajax Amsterdam. MRL/AMRLC/ST Sheraldo Becker would be a great roaming presence on the wings and GK Mickey Van Der Hart would also provide competition between the sticks. There were a number of youth/depth signings in Larride, Guissé, Quintero from Chelsea FC, Bertrams & Massaoudi, along with loan signings; DC's Stewart Ryder from Leicester City, Ted van der Pavert from Genk & Timothy Castagne, also from Genk. Castagne's loan was terminated a few days later due to him not being needed.

Finally, I spent my record sum of money on Laurens van der Voort. A full-back who could play either side, he came in from Helmond Sport for the princely sun for £525k..

Outgoings-wise.. Welp... Same as ever, a number of players beat down my door, clamouring that teams wanted them and could they go? I didn't want them so Isaac Vorsah went to Al-Itthad (KSA) for £1.2m, Rune Jarstein went to SV Werder Bremen for £1.5m, as I had signed van der Hart as a goalie. Always complaining Damien Martinez went to Lille OSC for £975k + 50%. Left wing hero Jentl Gaethofs broke my heart by wanting out, so I sold him to Heracles Almeo for £1.4m + clauses + 50%.

Finally, a trio of youth stars left the club, all with fat 50% sell on clauses! Muahahaha! ST Marcel Blaauw signed for Real Madrid for £2.5m, MC Evan Tunistra went to Southampton for £2.3m & AMC Sander de Jong, the cream of my first intake, left for Man City in a £5m deal!!!

- Transfers -

Good luck mate promoting nice transfer and wage budget. Shame you had to sell your youth but with that money you can fix what needs to be fixed in January if needed.

It was a shame, but quite frankly, the cash was more welcome. Hopefully we won't need many reinforcements

vt_nofoto.jpg

MVV Maastricht

End of Jan 2018 Transfer Window

ScreenShot2014-11-16at135616_zps49aeb1e8.png

- Table -

I'm top of the world, ma! We finished the January transfer window in 1st place in the Jupiler League. But it was a long hard slog to get there. We started September with a brutal thrashing against FC Dordrecht. The scoreline flattered us as we were beaten all ends up. I was fearing for my job at this point, so I decided to really, really scrutinise all my tactical decisions, instead of just relying on shouts. It worked wonders as we roared into a 4 game winning streak, including a win over rivals Roda JC, for the first time since I came to the club, courtesy of a Tobias Sana hat-trick!! We settled into a bit of a pattern, getting early leads, conceding just after HT.. A lot of draws were comeback draws for us as we seemed to sleep in the middle of games. SBV Excelsior were a pain in the arse as they were running away with the title in early season form, and although we were winning and drawing, including a monster 6-0 win over FC Oss, thanks to a Chuba Akpom hat-trick, so were they. We only took the lead after the second to last game of the period, a fantastic 4-1 win over FC Volendam and kept it with a 3-1 win over Almere City.

I applied for new training facilities and got them, but the club are unwilling to go higher on the youth coaching sadly.

-----------

In the KNVB Beker, we disposed of SV Geinoord with an easy 2-0 win, courtesy of youth shadow striker Nicolae Szabosai. We played the kids and backups in that with the result that there was only one outfield player over 21. Our Third Round matchup was against Eredivise side SC Cambuur. Again, no interest in going any further, so I played the backup team and they acquitted themselves well in a dull 0-1 defeat, thanks to a soft goal at the near post.

-----------

Transfers: We loaned back midfielder Sander de Jong from Man City as cover for the midfield, midway through the month. My HOYD picked up a 23-year old striker from DR Congo, Yanis Mbombo, who would serve as an emergency striker if needed. Finally, I signed 17 year old ramdeuter Daniel Ischdonat from DSC Armina Bielefeld & young backup DC Joris van Gelderen from FC Eindhoven, both for £215k each.

Sales-wise, Rodney Sneijder wanted out, as per usual with my best players, so RC Mons obliged with a £1m + 50% deal. 17 year old AMC Carlos Bertrand showed no signs of wanting to leave, however £3.5m + 50% from Juventus was too much of a prize to say no to.

ScreenShot2014-11-17at043553_zpse1aaf605.png

Just had my first interview for a new job. Love the new interview questions! I was asked about my lack of coaching experience in Belgium, my time spent only at MVV, plu smy relegation & relationship with players. Really, really cool.

ScreenShot2014-11-17at044204_zpsb70b1ecc.png

Well, I find your lack of foresight disturbing! I probably wouldn't have taken the job anyway tbh..

vt_nofoto.jpg

MVV Maastricht

2017-18 Season Review

Championes! Championes! Oh way, Oh way, Ooh way! We brought home the Jupiler League trophy as we finished 1st!!. We cantered to the title in the end, with only one defeat in the last half of the season. Every game was a comfortable win (i.e we never scored the winning goal any later than 75 mins) and the real highlight was the game against second-placed SBV Excelsior. We took the field, knowing a win would seal the Jupiler League for us, putting us 15 points clear with 5 games to go. and we got a rude awakening with Excelsior taking the lead after 21 minutes with a long range striker from their midfielder. However, an incisive run from Junior Hoilett saw him cut inside and blast the ball into the far corner from over 25 yards away. 1-1! We went in at HT and I reminded them that 3 points would seal the title for us. And, just five minutes into the half, Chuba Akpom darted in front of the Excelsior defence to volley home a deep left-wing cross. 2-1. That proved to be the game winner and the title winner as we became champions with 5 games still to go. A 5-3 beating of de Graafschap saw us confirmed champions and allowed me some breathing room to experiement.

I had signed Daniel Ischdonat as a right-sided ramdeuter and had been using him sparingly as a wide midfielder. So I adapted my 4-4-1-1 formation, by moving the Shadow Striker position to become a DM Anchor Man and moving the Wide Midfielder up to become a Ramdeuter. I debuted this formation against semi-rivals Fortuna Sittard and we came away with an unconvincing 2-1 win, thanks to first goals for Nicolae Szabosai & Yanis Mbombo. We then got hammered against Sparta Rotterdam, although I do think that this was more down to the inexperience of the team that was on the pitch. FInally, we were back to winning ways in the last two games, winning 1-0 & 2-0 against FC Oss & Jung PSV. Being as Ischdonat is only 17, I may look for a more experienced Ramdeuter to use this formation in the Eredivisie.

- League Table - Results -

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

We again really didn't take this seriously. However, a narrow Third Round beating at the hands of a lower Eredivisie side shows a lot of progress.

---------------------------------

Manager's Thoughts

I brought in £20m worth of money this season with player sales, so I'm looking at really trying to stay up this year. Hopefully, this adoptation of a Ramdeuter means that I can cope with the big boys.

Archived