I know Maastricht, but you have to live with it, son!

Deisler26

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, great year!

Yeah, it wasn't bad :p

I don't feel like we were particularly successful, despite the results. I think it's because I was constantly worrying about my tactical, whether we would win and fretting about changes. I never had faith that my team could win

vt_nofoto.jpg

MVV Maastricht

End of Aug 2018 Transfer Window

We were given the brief for finish in mid-table by the board.. Tough ask, considering we went straight back down after the last Eredivisie campaign! However, we were given a £16m warchest & a £180k wage budget to do it with. I was also surprised by upgrades to our training, youth and youth recruitment facilites. Brilliant! Also, I signed an England legend, ol' Goldenballs himself, David Beckham to my backroom team.

I also went with a number of easy friendlies in order to bed in all my new arrivals.

Eredivisie_logosvg_zpsdad21515.png

Well. That was unexpected. We marked our return to the top flight by storming to the summit of the Eredivisie by ending August in 3rd place!! Our opening day was against NEC Nijmegen. And we went through them like a hot knife through butter on the way to a 3-0 win, thanks to goals from the returning loanee Stewart Ryder, Tobias Sana & new loan arrival Youri Tielemans. I couldn't believe how good we looked in the opener, but better was to follow. Next was league heavyweight PSV Eindhoven. And we took them to the cleaners as well, winning comfortably 2-0 from goals by new signings Yassin Ayoub & Domingos.

I was on cloud nine with our start. And next up, Heracles Almeo were also put to the sword. We conceded our first goal, but roared back to win 3-1 on the back of an own-goal, a freak strike by Hector Bellarin & Tobias Sana. A Juplier League rematch was next, as we faced second placed SBV Excelsior. A goal by debutant Jurgen Locadia sealed the three points on this one. 4 wins out of 4 and we were motoring. Sadly, we were brought back down to Earth in the next game against Go Ahead Eagles with a 1-2 defeat. We took the lead through new raumdeuter signing Markko Jäarvinen, but conceded late on in the first half. Then, an appalling mistake by the keeper left the Go Ahead Eagles player with an open goal from the edge of the area.

- Results - Table -

----------------------------------------------

Transfers

(Again, if you want to see players, just ask)

My worry this season was that we were really not up to the standard needed to stay up in the Eredivisie. So there was a summer spending spree, the like of which, I had never had before..

First one coming in was Finnish raumdeuter Markko Jäarvinen. I'd had my search filter out since last season and this guy fitted the bill perfectly. He came for a relatively cheap £500k from Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi . Next, another raid on Scandinavia, this time in Norway, as I signed ST Drissa Sylla for £575k from SK Brann Bergen. I then beefed up my left back position with an ex-Holland international Erik Pieters from SC Heerenveen for £1.2m. I then splashed out on my record transfer, £3.4m, on a young Dutch defensive midfielder, Yassin Ayoub, from FC Utrecht. Finally, two more strikers arrived. 6' 5" Brazillian striker Domingos, rated as the new Adriano, was signed for £110k from Atletico Pararanese & a £1m steal of Jürgen Locadia from PSV Eindhoven.

Coming in on loan were DC Leo Pareira from FC Porto, M/AMC Mattheus Rosotto from Sporting Lisbon, the return of Gedion Zelalem from Arsenal and, in a massive coup, the brightest star in the Belgian U-21 setup, MC Youri Tielemans from Man City. Five more depth players came into the fold too. GK's Jeroen Howen & Indy Groothuizen, M/AMC Franco Solis & ST Queensy Menig and finally AMRL Lisandro Semedo for £16.75k from Sporting Lisbon

Selling-wise, we loaned out a lot of fringe players and sold just the one. I wanted to gauge Junior Hoilett's worth to the market, but he blew his stack, so I managed for offload him to Terek Grozny for £2.5m.

- Transfers -

Reading this with a lot pleasure Deisler26, so much that I created an account just to comment on it. Even though I am a passionate supporter of your big rival Roda ;) First of all, what made you decide to coach MVV? Isn't the most obvious choice for an Englishman I reckon? I'm very interested in some screenshots, particularly of Gedion Zelalem and Dan Crowley! Great coup also by (temporarily) signing Tielemans! Keep it up, I will keep reading your updates with pleasure.

Reading this with a lot pleasure Deisler26, so much that I created an account just to comment on it. Even though I am a passionate supporter of your big rival Roda ;) First of all, what made you decide to coach MVV? Isn't the most obvious choice for an Englishman I reckon? I'm very interested in some screenshots, particularly of Gedion Zelalem and Dan Crowley! Great coup also by (temporarily) signing Tielemans! Keep it up, I will keep reading your updates with pleasure.

Wow! Thank you so much! I'm honoured!!

I picked them as there was not many expectations of them in the first season, as I'm not the greatest tactician.

Dan Crowley (current captain)

Gedion Zelalem

vt_nofoto.jpg

MVV Maastricht

End of Jan 2019 Transfer Window

ScreenShot2014-11-20at135516_zpsa5a73c07.png

- Table -

Eredivisie_logosvg_zpsdad21515.png

After a hot start, I was expecting a little regression, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. After a 2-2 draw with NAC Breda, we had a terrible tailspin, with an absolute hammering at the hands of ADO Den Haag. After that 1-6 loss, we had the perfect pick me up.. Home to AFC Ajax Amsterdam. However, we put up a spirited fight in a 1-2 defeat. We then lost a ding-dong battle, 3-4, with Vitesse Arnhem and got hammered 1-4 against Willem II Tilburg..

I realised that I was just relying on my new formation, like in other versions. So I looked at the next opposition, a struggling FC Twente, looked at their previous formations and went with an older formation. BOOM! 4-1 win, thanks to a Markko Jäarvinen hat-trick, including two in stoppage time. A routine 1-3 loss to Feyenoord Rotterdam, was followed by a fantastic 6-2 win over SC Heerenveen on the back of a Domingos four-goal haul! Two bad defeats in row (0-4 & 0-3) were forgotten in the wake of a stunning 8-1 defeat of relegation-haunted, managerless AZ Alkmaar! Domingos went one better than the Heerenveen game by scoring FIVE goals as we cantered to victory.

Two wins from three ended the transfer window and we were sitting pretty in 7th. However, being the small change artist that I am, I see that we're 18 points clear of relegation with 13 games left!!!

-----------

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

In the KNVB Beker, we sailed through the Second Round matchup with Fortuna Sittard, winning 2-1 with two first half goals. Then I was prepared for our customary Third Round exit. However, we bucked the trend, thanks to Markko Jäarvinen's brace in a 2-0 win over FC Eindhoven.

Our Fourth Round matchup was with the team that ended our hot start, Go Ahead Eagles. However, we took the lead after 11 minutes with Nacer Barazite's close range finish. He also popped up again to tie the game up at 2 after 60 minutes. The game ebbed & flowed all the way to full time and throughout extra time. Neither side could take an advantage, until 122 minutes! A corner from left was swung in and Stewart Ryder rose higher than anyone to head the ball home! 3-2! Pandamonium!

This put us through into the Quarter Finals against PEC Zwolle. And we were behind the eight ball from minute one, literally! They scored after 55 seconds to go in the lead. I screamed at the defence to concentrate, but we couldn't break through before half-time. We battled hard to get a foothold in the second half and on 71 minutes, a centra free kick by Tobias Sana was floated into the box and Markko Jäarvinen beat the defensive line to smash home the equaliser. 1-1. The game provided a midfield battle for the rest of normal time & extra time. On 118 minutes, Agostino Ca had some interplay with Tobias Sana on the left hand side of the penalty box, before hoisting over a deep cross that Jürgen Locadia out-muscled the Zwolle defence to head home the winner. 2-1!

This put us in the Semi-Finals against FC Twente and a magnificent chance to make the Final and win some silverware!

- Cup Run -

-----------

Transfers:

We finally signed Argentinian DM Oscar Tello for free from Banfield, as we'd settled an end-of-contract move in July. Then I went through a #DareToJoao phase in signing AMC Joao Pedro from Sporting Lisbon B for £1.5m. DC Jesus Vallejo came in on loan from Liverpool. Our final signing was a guy who I had tried signing twice at the end of his contract, but he chose to sign with his club each time. However, they put him on the transfer list and I snapped him up. That guy was Gedion Zelalem and he came from Arsenal for £1.6m

We loaned out two players and sold want-away winger Sheraldo Becker for £250k to FC Rostov. He wasn't the hit that I was hoping for when I signed him and he was bitching about a lack of playing time.

#JoaoPedroReturns :cool:

Been following this since it started, don't think I've commented yet.

Good job on the return to the top flight. Should do well - hopefully better than last time anyway. :thup:

Also the thread title is terrible btw :D It took me a while to 'get it' and when I did, it stuck in my head for ages. Found myself at work thinking of the title of your bloody thread :lol:

Also the thread title is terrible btw :D It took me a while to 'get it' and when I did, it stuck in my head for ages. Found myself at work thinking of the title of your bloody thread :lol:

Please explain to a Dutchman who has been struggling to 'get it' :) Great cup run Deisler, especially given the fact the draw has not been in your favour with merely away games. Hopefully you can battle for an European spot in the second half of the season, would be a logical step in your career.

Please explain to a Dutchman who has been struggling to 'get it' :) Great cup run Deisler, especially given the fact the draw has not been in your favour with merely away games. Hopefully you can battle for an European spot in the second half of the season, would be a logical step in your career.

Instead of "I know I am strict" it's "Maastricht", which sounds like "ma strict" instead (not even sure if that's how it would be said but going by appearance, an English speaker would say mastrict). It's basically a terrible pun and Deisler should hang his head in shame ;)

Instead of "I know I am strict" it's "Maastricht", which sounds like "ma strict" instead (not even sure if that's how it would be said but going by appearance, an English speaker would say mastrict). It's basically a terrible pun and Deisler should hang his head in shame ;)

It's actually "I know Ma's strict, but you have to live with it, son" :p

28 April 2019

KNVB Beker Final

De Kuip, Rotterdam

51oF 18:00 k/o

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

MVV Maastricht...............1

Domingos 80

FC Groningen.......................0

Rotterdam was ablaze with red & green as both sets of fans made a 200km journey to Rotterdam for the league's showpiece cup final. Firmly in the underdog's corner was us, MVV Maastricht. We had never made a KNVB Beker final, let alone win one. In the favourite's corner, FC Groningen. Winners three years ago, and holding an excellent head to head record with us, they were the odds-on favourite to win.

We had an excellent run to the Final, bearing in mind that we hadn't made it out of the Third Round in 3 years. Two tough extra-time wins over Eredivisie opponents, led to a semi-final appearance against FC Twente. We were battered the whole game, until on 50 mins, Domingos burst from midfield, dispossessing a dallying defender, and headed clear for goal. His first shot was saved by the keeper, but he was there to tuck in the rebound for the game's only score. This was our run, and the fact that Groningen were fifth-placed in the league meant that, even if we lost, we were in for a good shout for Europe.

The players lined up for the match, the anthem was played. I had only made one change. The injured Chris David was replaced by Joao Pedro. The lights went up, the anthems finished and both sets of players ran to their respective halves. I said to them before the game passionately that they had nothing to lose, so give it all you have!

The whistle blew and we were off! Barely 5 minutes had gone, before a stray ball picked off by Domingos and he sprinted to the edge of the area before firing well wide from 22 yards. A decent start. Both teams exchanged warning shots early on, but the quality was lacking. On 34 minutes, a neat passing move saw Domingos hit a tame shot from 18 yards, straight down the keeper’s throat. I jumped around in frustration. We had just had the one shot on target this half, compared to Groningen's three. All the opposition shots were comfortable takes with little power.

A strangely subdued first half came to a close and we regrouped in the dressing room. Again, I passionately told them they had nothing to lose and sent them out. Yassin Ayoub got his name in the referee's book on 48 minutes with a crunching tackle in the midfield. On 67 minutes, a rash move by Bellerin saw him completely miss a tackle as the winger darted by him. Ryder came over to cover, but he was never going to get there.. The winger steadied, fired a shot. But the occasion got to him and he dragged his shot wide after being clean through. I brought Drissa Sylla on for Markko Jäavinien on 74 minutes.

The game was beginning to bog down somewhat however, on 80 minutes, a lovely move from the back saw Joao Pedro with the ball at his feet in midfield. He fed Drissa Sylla, who looked up, saw the run, and his quick ball to feet saw Domingos fire a first time shot into the net from 18 yards! 1-0! Pandamonium. Our travelling support erupted. My staff erupted. I erupted. I leapt in the air in joy, then quickly reasserted myself. I screamed at them assertively to concentrate and went into defensive mode, changing our setup.

We were looking good, the clock had passed 90 mins and the fans were whistling their hearts out. However, Groningen kept coming and a wicked cross from deep was whipped in by the left back, It's flight arcing beautifully around our defensive line, catching out the defence, with the opposing winger steaming in. My heart was in my mouth. The ball was taking ages to drop, it's pin-point accuracy meant that no defender of ours had any chance of getting there... He met it with a side foot effort and wheeled away, sure he had tied the game. And he would have, if not for a magnificent, scrambling save by Van der Hart, who got to it and pushed it aside for it to be cleared. A stadium holding it's breath, suddenly half erupted, half slumped. The whistle went seconds after and we piled onto the pitch. Not only had we reached our first final in 117 years, but WE HAD WON THE KNVB BEKER!!

PoM: Domingos (8.5)

ScreenShot2014-11-21at044017_zps148460dd.png

ScreenShot2014-11-21at044030_zpsd4661857.png

Dutch Cup success and easy survival :thup:. A couple of job applications sent in though...why would you want to leave, especially as things seem to be taking off at MVV?

More to see if I can get them, you know? And the AZ one was to leverage stuff out of the board

Archived