I know Maastricht, but you have to live with it, son!

Deisler26

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

250px-AZ_Alkmaarsvg_zps5ffa6a31.png

AZ Alkmaar

2019-20 Season Review

240px-Dutchjupilerleague_zpsf8de752b.jpg

We finished 2nd in the Jupiler League in the end. The gap, plus NAC Breda's inexorable march towards the title, was just too great in the end. It came down to one game. We ripped through teams like Jong Twente (4-1) & FC Eindhoven (4-2) before coming up against our main rivals for the title.

NAC took the lead midway through the first half, but were pegged back on 35 minutes, thanks to Andrew Johnson nipping in front of the defence to volley home. Sadly, just moments later, a defensive mixup gave them the lead back. It stayed that way through HT, but 10 mins into the second half, Steven Berghuis hit a glorious 30 yard dipping strike into the top of the goal. And it got better on 63 mins as intricate play on the edge of the area saw Berghuis slip in Jan van den Berg to slide the ball home first time. That would prove to be the game winner and move us to within 3 points of Breda. 4 wins in a row followed, all pretty emphatic ones (4-1, 3-1, 3-0, 5-0) before we played 17th placed FC Emmen. And they proved to be the rock on which our title challenge foundered and sank, as we shelled them, firing in 29 shots, but only had a Pierre Soderqvist goal to show for it. Then, on 85 minutes, a deep free-kick into the box caused panic and they equalised with a header, which totally took the wind outof our sails. That 1-1 draw put us 5 points behind NAC and there we stayed for the rest of the season, despite winning the next four games.

When it was confirmed that NAC Breda were champions with a game to spare, I took the opportunity in the last game to play the youth. Four of the recent intake came in, along with 16 year old Finnish free agent signing Jarkko Ojeda. And we romped home with a 3-0 win over Jong PSV. A special way to end the season, but if we hadn't been so slow to get on board with my formation and/or drew with FC Emmen, things would have been slightly different.

- League Table - Results -

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

A Fourth Round exit this time as I didn't want to risk my thin squad.

- Cup Run -

---------------------------------

Manager's Thoughts

We are in the playoffs now. Let's hope we can make it up, otherwise it's my job!

7 May 2020

Eredivisie Relegation Playoff Second Round, Leg 1

Seacon Stadium, Venlo

51oF 19:30 k/o

Eredivisie_logosvg_zpsdad21515.png

AZ Alkmaar...............2

Jan van de Berg 6

Mitchell te Vrede 36

VVV Venlo...................3

A clear evening awaited us in the playoff. Our failure to overhaul NAC Breda dumped us in here and now we have to try to claw our way out. No changes for this match.

On 5 mins. a period of prolonged pressure saw Berghuis slip in Jan van den Berg, who then waited for the goalie to commit, before just rolling the ball under the rampaging keeper..1-0 AZ, and we were off to a fabulous start. Inevitably, we shot ourselves in the foot and, on 15 mins, a free kick on the edge of the area was floated in, causing complete chaos amongst our defenders. Their full back collected and swung on back a dinked cross in for their striker to head home. 1-1.

While we were still reeling from that body blow, on 18 mins, a comedy of errors ensued. The team was caught up the pitch and a desperate tackle knocked the ball back towards our defender and the goal. Bekker’s back pass to the keeper was woefully underhit and their striker nipped in and took the gift. 1-2. Just 10 mins later, Mitchell ten Verde fired into the side netting after being slipped through by Berghuis. We were trying hard to find a way back through and, on 35 mins, a gutsy run from Aarab down the left flank led to a deep cross finding it’s way to Mitchell Ten Vrede who gleefully slammed it home 2-2. ten Vrede, who was celebrating a new two-year deal, looked delighted with the goal.

Our propensity for giving ourselves bullet wounds in the metatarsal area came home to roost on 40 mins, as an inhability to clear the ball out of defence lead to the VVV midfielder lashing a shot high into the net from six yards. 2-3. Half-time came and I read them the riot act. Especially the defence.

We kicked off the second half and, on 52 mins, An incisive run and shot by Holtkamp, ended up being cleared off the line. We kept flooding forward and on 71 mins, a floated free kick into the area was headed onto bar by ten Vrede and then cleared. 86 mins came, and a innocous trip in the midfield, saw the VVV midfielder collect his second yellow card and be sent off. We tried to capitalise and on 91 mins, a lofted ball into the area saw ten Vrede completely free in the box to head the ball. However, his extremly weak header went straight at the keeper. Barely a minute later, a late booking for Cisse led to a deep free kick that was headed over by the VVV player. The whistle blew and we had lost, but had two vital away goals.

PoM: VVV player

10 May 2020

Eredivisie Relegation Playoff Second Round, Leg 2

AFAS Stadium, Alkmaar

57oF 19:30 k/o

AZ Alkmaar............... 4 (6)

Marco Holtkamp 3

Andrew Johnson 27, 38

Jan van de Berg 37

VVV Venlo.....................1 (4)

A wet weekday evening awaited us at home for the second leg of our promotion battle. We made one change: Mitchell ten Vrede was out, despite a goalscoring role in the first leg. Loan sensation Andrew Johnson came in. I pumped the tires on our team before the game, knowing we needed a good result.

We came out of the tunnel into a wall of noise. The AZ faithful making their presence felt. Kick off came, and after only 3 minutes, Steven Berghuis picked the ball up about 20 yards out, turned from two defenders and then placed a beautiful reverse pass to Andrew Johnson, who’s vicious shot was parried away by the keeper. Marco Holtkamp steadied himself and rolled home the rebound. 1-0. We were level on aggregate and held an edge on away goals. But, we weren't finished there! Oh no!

On 27 minutes, great interplay between Holtkamp and Araab saw Araab’s floated cross headed home at the near post by Andrew Johnson. 2-0. We were running riot over VVV and on 36 mins, again, more interplay on the left between Holtkamp and Aarab, saw Aarab’s deep, floated cross reach Jan van der Berg who crept inbetween 2 defenders and headed home. 3–0. Barely a minute later, a quick break by us saw a 2-on-1 opportunity and Berghuis slipped through Andrew Johnson to score. 4-0.

On 44 mins, a mistake by the defence on a long ball forward by Aarab saw Johnson in, all alone, to complete his hat-trick, however, he fired well wide and high from an excellent position.

I was so proud of the team at half-time and I told them all so. We were out of sight and the pattern continued after HT when, on 57 mins, a period of sustained pressure produced three blocked shots and finally cleared after chaos from a corner. Two minutes later, after a rare foray into our half, a bad clearance from a corner was sent back in and some bad marking from our defenders, saw them pull it back to 4-1, and 6-4 on aggregate.

On 62 mins, another long ball from Aarab saw Johnson onto it, cut inside and unleash a fizzing shot that was brilliantly tipped over by the VVV keeper. Mindful of the face that if they scored again, I would be in trouble, I shut the game down as best I could and rode out to victory! This put us in the next round against FC Groningen.

PoM: Andrew Johnson (9.3)

Surprising move, did you say that Bilbao found itself in Liga Adelante? Too bad you couldn't keep Gudelj with the club, great player. However it is positive that you could keep Berghuis, could you provide me with a screen? Hopefully you will go up!

Sadly, I couldn't keep Berghuis, he wanted too much money :(

ScreenShot2014-12-03at001126_zpsa4561286.png

No, Bilbao finished 12th in La Liga

15 May 2020

Eredivisie Relegation Playoff Third Round, Leg 1

AFAS Stadium, Alkmaar

53oF 20:45 k/o

AZ Alkmaar...............1

Andrew Johnson 81

FC Groningen........1

We started this tie at home. Win and we were up into the Eredivisie. Lose and I might be out of a job. There were no changes to the first team and we were looking to beat FC Groningen in our first meeting, since I beat them in the final of the KNVB Bekker. And this game was an utter damp squib. There was precisely two highlights in the whole game. No cards, two shots on goal.

On 41 minutes, a Groningen corner was taken from the far side. It was curled towards to the edge of the six-yard box where it was met by the Groningen player. His header looped up and across, before falling into the far corner. 0-1.

The second highlight was on 81 minutes. Jan van de Berg picked the ball up midway into the Groningen half. He cut inside and laid the ball off to Vasquez. He held the ball up, before sliding the ball through for Carlos Moreno, rampaging from full back. He whipped a good ball into no-man's land, where it was met by a glancing header by Andrew Johnson. His header flew into the far corner and we were all tied up. 1-1.

The whistle blew. We would need to be at our best to win in the second leg..

PoM: Groningen player

27 May 2020

Eredivisie Relegation Playoff Third Round, Leg 2

Euroborg, Groningen

53oF 20:45 k/o

AZ Alkmaar...............0 (1)

FC Groningen........3 (4)

A gusty, wet and horrible night awaited us in Groningen. We had two changes to the first team as Jan van de Berg & Marco Holtkamp were on international duty. They were replaced by Rales Roshenall & Pierre Soderqvist and were hoping to sneak a win to put us back into the Eredivisie.

However, our best laid plans came to naught as a foul on the edge of the area on 12 minutes on the Groningen player proved costly, as the player stepped up, dusted himself off, then curled a free kick into the top corner. 0-1. I shouted at the team to concentrate. We were fighting hard, but 4 blocked shots in the first half alone, showed us how hard it was going to be. On 27 minutes, a period of sustained possession saw Berghuis free for a second or two, but his scuffed shot saw the ball go well wide. Berghuis had the chance to redeem himself on 32 minutes, as a long ball caught out the defence and he was through all alone, but put his shot straight at the keeper.

Half time came and I shouted at them to do better and I thought they were below-par. As they went out, I had a feeling that we wouldn't be able to cope with Groningen's 4-1-2-1 narrow diamond. And I was proved right, as on 70 minutes, a corner from the left was curled into the edge of the six yard box. The Groningen goalscorer from the first leg got his head on it, and sent it towards the far corner. It looked to be going wide until the Groningen sub popped up at the far post to head home from mere feet. 0-2. Livid. More screaming at the players ensued.

We pushed forward, and were punished with the dagger to the heart on 78 minutes. A great run down the left by the Groningen player saw him send in a deep cross, which took out our entire defence and the Groningen sub, buoyed by his first, fired home his second and the game killer. 0-3.

The game clock ran down and when the whistle went, we were left in the Jupiler League and I was staring at a possible sacking..

PoM: Groningen player

250px-AZ_Alkmaarsvg_zps5ffa6a31.png

AZ Alkmaar

End of Aug 2020 Transfer Window

After last season's disappointment, the board would not accept failure again (or so I inferred). We had to win the Jupiler League and were given a £100k war chest & £66k wage budget. We had no hires or fires and only had a few areas that really needed strengthening. Judging by how slim the margin of failure was last season (a draw to FC Emmen), we were well primed for the assault on the title.

We kicked off the 2020/21 Jupiler League season away to Roda JC. And, despite controlling the play and outshooting them, came away with a 0-1 defeat. Really not the best start to the season, and I was worried it would be endemic of the season to come (I don't overreact much :D). However, we had 3 of our 4 first team defenders away with the Netherlands U-23 side in the Olympics, so I convinced myself that it was just a one off. Our next game was against Jong Ajax. And what a coming out party it was for new signing Luuk De Jong as he plundered a hat-trick in a dominant 5-1 win.

Again, a dominant performance came to naught against FC Oss as backup keeper Jake Bates, on loan from Chelsea, had a nightmare, gifting Oss two goals and condemming us to defeat. Due to the recent rash of sackings, I was petrified of getting the boot. However, a good 4-1 win over FC Den Bosch, behind Luuk De Jong's brace was followed by a narrow 1-0 win over FC Dordrecht, with Luuk De Jong again getting the only goal of the game. This gave him 6 goals in 5 games and the lead in the Jupiler League Top Goalscorer race.

- Table - Fixtures -

----------------------

Transfers

We pulled off an amazing coup by signing former Netherlands striker Luuk De Jong on a free from Club Brugge. Thanks to the increase in wage budget and losing a lot of players with high wages, I was able to give him an incentive-laden contract and convince him to sign. A number of loans came in to bolster the ranks. Ex-MVV player Sander De Jong joined us from Manchester City; AMR Kristian Berg came from Liverpool and GK Jake Bates from Chelsea. The later two were purely there to provide backup for our first team players. Also coming in as backups were Stoke City's AML/ST Toni Pulido, Tottenham's AMRLC Ibal Salzar and Juventus' DM/MC Gianluigi Celeste.

We also signed a budding star released from Manchester Utd. AMC/ST Marcus Rashford had spent the last 3 seasons in the Benelux countries, the last two in the Netherlands, so he was used to the style of play. Finally, we signed a veteran backup DL in 32 year old Aaron Meijers.

We only sold two players this period. GK Karim Arkine was sold for £150k + 50% to Club Brugge, as he was complaining about game time and he wasn't getting any. Secondly, DR Carlos Moreno went to AD Alcorcon for £185k, rising to £255k later. The rest were free transfers and two players left on Bosman frees.

- Transfers -

15 September 2020

Jupiler League

AFAS Stadium

62oF 20:00 k/o

Sander De Jong 61

FC Emmen...................1

"Sacking Emmen-ent" - Het Noordhollands Dagblad

After my board ultimatum, I had 5 games to save my job. 10 points was the target, so I needed to get out of the traps quickly and well.

We dominated from start to finish. Emmen were not hanging on, but were dominated. We pushed and pushed and pushed, despite Emmen's best efforts. Then, a FC Emmen free kick just inside our half was floated in and the ball found an Emmen player completely free on the edge of the box. His looping header beat the keeper and it was 0-1. Their first shot of the game ended up in our net. F***. Screamed at them to concentrate, but HT came without any reply.

I aggressively told them to do better. This was my F****** job, dammit!

Second half, followed the pattern off the first. A lot of attacking by us, not much by Emmen. On 60 minutes, a ball was played out wide by Celeste to Siereveld. He knocked it forward a step or two and whipped in a cross. This cross caused all sorts of problems in the defence and the goalie and defender got in such a tangle that the ball ran free in the area. And who was there, but the other De Jong! Sander De Jong rammed the ball home to make it 1-1. The breakthrough was made!! Sadly, we couldn't break through again through their resolute defending and the game finished 1-1..

PoM: Sander De Jong (7.7)

Points total: 1

18 September 2020

Jupiler League

AFAS Stadium, Alkmaar

51oF 20:00 k/o

AZ Alkmaar...............5

Pierre Söderqvist 2

Marcus Rashford 27, 67

Andrew Johnson 81

Lionel Enguene 84

Jerry St. Juste s/o 34

SBV Excelsior........3

"All Over Them Like A Rash(ford)" - Het Noordhollands Dagblad

Wow. What a game. I came into this one, desperate for a win. I subbed out last season's top scorer Jan van de Berg and brought in Pierre Söderqvist. I also dropped last season's loan sensation Andrew Johnson for new signing Marcus Rashford. An injury to full back Arthur Siereveld, meant that I had to play Ibrahima Cissé as an emergency full back.

I pumped the team's tyres coming in. Telling them I had faith in them, passionately, I sent them out to battle...

It took two minutes for my faith to be repaid. A barnstorming run by Rashford took him past FOUR defenders and onto the left wing. He hoisted a cross over that seemed to clear all defenders AND strikers.. Until Pierre Söderqvist came bursting up from the right wing to bullet a header past the keeper onto the underside of the bar and down into the net. 1-0. YES! I danced on the sideline. We tore into Excelsior, really, really trying to put the game away. On 27 minutes, a run by Sander De Jong was halted on the edge of the area. The ball bounced away to be picked up by Marcus Rashford on the far left of the area, about 25 yards out. He took off towards the opposite side of the area, close control in evidence, one more burst past a defender and he fired a shot from the 18 yard box line that beat the goalkeeper all ends up and thundered off the inside of the post to slowly roll into the other side of the net. 2-0.

I couldn't be happier. We were totally in control. Yet, as so often in this young season, we shot ourselves in the foot. We had three chances to clear a 30th minute corner, but we failed and the Excelsior winger took advantage to net the ball from a foot or two out. 2-1. Worst was to come as an attack broke down high up the pitch and a long clearance took our entire defence by surprise. Jerry St. Juste wrestled with the striker and was sent off for a professional foul. I have an issue with the sending off as I felt there was another defender in cover, but the referee can't be argued with. I subbed Sander De Jong for Mehmet Özcan.

2-1 up, down to 10, I was SH*TTING myself. However, we made it to HT without incident. At HT, I told them to not get complacent and passionately told them all I had faith in them. After sending them out, I noticed that Excelsior had moved to a narrow 4-3-3, so I made sure that I was playing more narrower. However, all of my planning went up in flames as a 25 yard volley from an Excelsior player arrowed into the net from a half-cleared corner on 60 minutes. 2-2. Eff.

But, who should come to our rescue on 67 minutes, but Marcus Rashford! He was a giant on the day, picking up a pass from Euguene on the left, cutting inside and just firing a 25 yard laser into the far corner. 3-2. Amazing. I passionately screamed encouragement to the players. We were doing OK!. Luuk de Jong was struggling and I hauled him off on 80 minutes for Andrew Johnson. And Johnson made an immediate impact!. A cross from the left was cleared as far as Euguene, who laid it off to Rashford. He tied the full back up in knots for the ninetieth time that day and crossed the ball into the box for Andrew Johnson to emphatically volley into the net from six yards. And when I say emphatic, I mean he ripped the net. 4-2. Breathing space.

On 84 mins, a Rashford free-kick from the right side of the area was met by a Lionel Euguene header. The ball bounced off the inside of the post, but Euguene buried the rebound with the keeper beaten. 5-2.

There was still time for a brain fart. A cross from the left on 90 minutes was met by a soft header from the Excelsior striker. Nick Olij took the ball, but also took himself over the line. 5-3. If that had been the goal that had cost us a win, I would have quit, I think..

The final whistle blew and we were victorious. Phew.

PoM: Marcus Rashford 9.4 (Manager rating 11.0)

Points Total: 4

26 September 2020

Jupiler League

AFAS Stadium, Alkmaar

53oF 20:00 k/o

AZ Alkmaar...............4

Jan van de Berg 6 (pen), 49

Justin Bakker 9

Lionel Euguene 16

FC Volendam..........1

"..'Dam, AZ are good" - Het Noordhollands Dagblad

The last game of our 3-game homestand and a chance to give us some breathing room. Luuk De Jong had been cold since his hot start, so he was relegated to the bench in deference to Andrew Johnson, who started up front. Marcus Rashford continued on the left in his scintillating form and Jan van de Berg came back into the side. Defender Aaron Meijers made his debut, in place of Yanis Aarab, who dropped to the bench.

We kicked off and, again, made a hot start. Rashford picked the ball up on the left, danced past one defender into the box and was unkindly dumped on the floor by a badly-timed tackle. Penalty! Jan van de Berg stepped up and made no mistake from the spot. 1-0. We continued the fast start as a corner by Meijers on 9 minutes was whipped into the edge of the six-yard box. Up leapt Justin Bakker to powerfully head home. 2-0. A wonderful start and I shouted my encouragement from the touchline.

We went even further into the lead on 16 minutes as a foul on Rashford just outside the box, saw Lionel Enguene with a free-kick, just outside the D. His initial effort was blocked by the wall, but it dropped favorably for him to slam a rocket half-volley into the net from 20 yards. 3-0. We were cruising.

HT came and I told them assertively that they were doing very well and to keep it up. They all seemed to respond favourably, so I sent them back out.

However, a ridiculous defensive breakdown on 48 minutes saw a dinked cross from the left find a Volendam striker with literally acres of space available to head home. 3-1. However, barely a minute later, Sander De Jong picked the ball up in the midfield and made a driving run towards the box. Spotting a darting run, he laid a perfectly weighted ball onto Jan van de Berg who finished low, first time. 4-1. Three goal cushion restored.

On 54 minutes, a bouncing ball caused two committed players to go in hard for a tackle. As they did, I saw Marcus Rashford scream and roll around on the floor in obvious agony. The medics came on and stretchered him off to be taken to hospital. On came Pierre Söderqvist.

Sick to my stomach, I shut the game down, tried to keep possession, went easy on tackles and closing down, so as to avoid any other injuries. But, it seems as if neither team had much stomach for the game from then on..

As the whistle blew, I went straight down the tunnel, ignoring the opposition manager after his pre-game words and enquired after Rashford. The news was not good..

ScreenShot2014-12-03at224917_zpsb7ec1739.png

PoM: Justin Bakker (9.0)

Points Total: 7

2 October 2020

Jupiler League

TATA Steel Stadium, IJmuiden

53oF 20:00 k/o

Jan van de Berg 45 (pen)

SC Telstar....................0

"Telstar it to the Mountain! Sales is staying!" - Het Noordhollands Dagblad

The penultimate game in my 5 game stand, an away game against high-flying SC Telstar. Full back Arthur Sierevald was back from injury, replacing Cissé, who moved to midfield. Loan striker Toni Pulido started his first game up front.

We started off well again, flooding forward time and time again. Telstar's defence was run ragged as they struggled to cope with our attacks. There were blocks and goal line clearances and just desperate defending.

One such incident came right on the stroke of half-time. A shot from the left deflected off a defender and ran free towards the edge of the area. Johnson sprinted to meet it, reaching it a second before the defender. The defender was just too slow to get there and his tackle took out Johnson instead of the ball. Penalty! Jan van de Berg stepped up and rifled the ball into the top corner. 1-0.

This was the easiest game of the 5 so far. Telstar held no threat and we easily passed the second half by just passing it about and shutting the game down.

PoM: SC Telstar player

Points Total: 10

Wow, I'm surprised to see you turned down Ajax job :eek:

Do you think you will move on at the end of the season?

I won't move for moving's sake. If the job comes up again, I will seriously consider it and, unless I get a bumper crop of excellent prospects, I will apply

Archived