I know Maastricht, but you have to live with it, son!

Deisler26

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

250px-AZ_Alkmaarsvg_zps5ffa6a31.png

AZ Alkmaar

End of Jan 2022 Transfer Window

ScreenShot2014-12-15at000626_zps05961776.png

- Table -

Eredivisie_logosvg_zpsdad21515.png

Ba-ba-ba-booooom. We were utterly on fire for this period, cementing 2nd place in the Eredivise. We stormed past Willem II Tilburg, 4-0, thanks for doubles from Sander de Jong & Marcus Rashford. We then come grinding to a halt against FC Twente for reasons I already stated...

Back to back 3-1 wins against SC Cambuur Leeuwarden & Go Ahead Eagles set us up with one of the main games in the Eredivisie against Feyenoord Rotterdam. We went 1-0 up, thanks to an Albert Gonzalez penalty on 31 minutes. However, we conceded just after the break. Sander de Jong roofed a bouncing ball to put us back in the lead on 65 minutes. However, a defensive ****-up led to their equaliser on 88 minutes. 2-2 was a good result, if not a fair one IMO.

Two more wins against FC Oss & SC Heerenveen saw us up against my old side MVV Maastricht, for the first time since I had left. Luuk de Jong put us in the lead on 5 mins, then doubled it on 30 mins. However, MVV pulled one back on 43 minutes to take us in to the break, 2-1. Barely 5 minutes into the second half, young sensation Rob Kamphuis netted to put us 3-1 up. They pulled one back on 79 minutes, but Marcus Rashford buried, what I considered to be the winner. Sadly, we went to sleep and conceded goals in the 89th & 92nd minutes. I was furious. The perfect chance to beat my old club and we blew it.

Another two wins, against NAC Breda and a morale boosting 5-1 win versus Vitesse Arnhem, who I'd struggled against for years, led to another big game. A match against the leaders PSV Eindhoven. Another late equaliser left us frustrated with a 1-1 draw. After beating Sparta Rotterdam 2-1, we then entertained AFC Ajax Amsterdam at home and sent them packing 3-1, for the double over this once-proud club. Three easy wins took us to the end of January and two points behind PSV.

-----------

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

In the KNVB Beker, we faced Dutch Topklasse opposition in Drachen, but easily dispatched them 5-0, thanks to my backup/youth mixed side. Next up was JupilerLeague opposition in the shape of Achillies '29. Again, they were dispatched 3-0 in a one-sided encounter.

In the Fourth Round, we faced SC Heerenveen and we put the tie to bed before 30 minutes, as goals from Albert Gonzalez, Jan van de Berg & Nick Moore put us 3-0 up and for the win. Next, in the Quarter Final, we faced Feyenoord Rotterdam. The game was decided within two first half minutes. Feyenoord took the lead on 31 minutes, only for Marcel Blaauw to tie it up from the kick-off. The game remained tied all the way to a penalty shootout..

And, although Jan van de Berg put his penalty over, we went through after Nick Olij's save from the final Feyenoord penalty. This gave us a Semi Final berth against AFC Ajax Amsterdam.

- Cup Run -

-----------

Transfers:

We only brought two players in, a free transfer as a backup and a £240k youth signing from Roda JC for AMC/SC Yassine Benali.

Selling-wise, Ibrahima Cissé was complaining about a lack of game time, so was sold to NEC Nijmegian for £110k. Next out the door was a talented youth player, Romeo IJzerman, who was sold for £725k + 50% to Olympique Marseille. Finally, a £2m bid for Luuk de Jong came from Kuban in Russia. The fact he was 31 made my decision easy. He was gone.

Congrats on the title. Has that put you off Ajax now? Any sign of the baby yet?

LOL. I don't know. May leave it now until Milan. But they've just won Serie A. So I don't think they would dump their manager..

No baby yet, she's 8 days overdue. Had a sweep 2 days ago and she's being induced on the 21st.

LOL. I don't know. May leave it now until Milan. But they've just won Serie A. So I don't think they would dump their manager..No baby yet, she's 8 days overdue. Had a sweep 2 days ago and she's being induced on the 21st.
Oo could be a Xmas baby.Yeah unlikely to sack a title winning manager. Is there no other teams that tickle your fancy?

250px-AZ_Alkmaarsvg_zps5ffa6a31.png

AZ Alkmaar

2021-22 Season Review

Eredivisie_logosvg_zpsdad21515.png

Champions! Champions! We continued our inexorable march to the Eredivisie title in the back end of the season. Three clean sheets in a row against FC Groningen (4-0),Heracles Almeo (2-0) & FC Twente (3-0) saw us stay on the heels of PSV in first. We were clearly the dominant teams in the league and it was currently a two horse race with Feyenoord Rotterdam almost a irreverence in third.

We then conceded a goal in each of the next two games with a 4-1 win over Willem II Tilburg & a 3-1 win over Go Ahead Eagles. This last win put us top as PSV lost their equivalent match. Back-to-back 3-0 wins against FC Cambuur Leeuwarden & Feyenoord Rotterdam cemented our position at the top of the league as PSV continued to fall away..

A 3-1 win over FC Oss set up the perfect match. Beat my first club MVV Maastricht, and the Eredivisie title was mine.. And we took the lead on 18 minutes thanks to Rob Kamphuis' cool angled finish. Marcel Blaauw then doubled the lead on 38 minutes, beating the keeper one-on-one. MVV pulled one back a few minutes before half-time and we went into the break 2-1 up. Two goals in a minute just after half time put us 4-1 up. A penalty from Jan van de Berg and a shot from the edge of the area by Gerard Bos gave us a seemingly unassailable lead. However, come 65 minutes, we were hit by a double salvo. Two goals in four minutes brought them back to 4-3. I was nervous, considering we'd given up a big lead to MVV last time. But Marcel Blaauw came through again with a sweet finish to make it 5-3 on 82 minutes. But, this team hate to make things easy for me, as we conceded again on 84 minutes. However, we hang on to win 5-4 and win the Eredivisie!!!.

We then lost 3 of our last 4 games, because I didn't care how we ended tbh (the max points record was well out of reach). A solitary 3-2 win against VVV-Venlo was our only points in that period as we soaked in our success.

- League Table - Results -

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

We had a Semi-Final date with AFC Ajax Amsterdam. Having beaten them in the last two games, I was quietly confident of a win to take us to the Final. However, we conceded a scrappy goal and were just over-confident and lacklustre. Ajax dominated the game and cruised to an easy win. Our last chance came on 94 minutes as a cross into the boox was tamely headed at the Ajax keeper. Sigh. Our run ended at the Semis.

- Cup Run -

---------------------------------

Manager's Thoughts

A good win, but most of our success went through two players, both of whom were loanees. We have little to zero chance of getting them back for next season so I'll have to try hard to repeat this season's success.

Archived