I know Maastricht, but you have to live with it, son!

Deisler26

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

250px-AZ_Alkmaarsvg_zps5ffa6a31.png

AZ Alkmaar

End of Jan 2021 Transfer Window

ScreenShot2014-12-07at214138_zpsfdda7d13.png

- Table -

240px-Dutchjupilerleague_zpsf8de752b.jpg

After my 5 game ultimatium, in which I picked up 13 points out of 15, we rattled off 4-0 & 3-0 wins over promotion-chasing VVV Venlo and relegation-haunted Helmond Sport. I was really happy with our form. We were beating top teams, bottom teams, middle teams. Really happy with it. Then we ran into Almere City. Oh God. We battered them with no success, like a sapling in the middle of a field during a massive thunderstorm. And then the sucker punch. Much like Hull's first goal against Arsenal in the 2014 FA Cup Final, a skewed shot across the box on 70 minutes found a City player open at the far post, and he easily swept the ball home. 0-1. We were stunned and demoralised. Just eff.

The defeat really knocked me. I was worried for the team, but back-to-back shutouts of Fortuna Sittard (3-0) and Jong Twente (5-0) restored some confidence, going into the game with De Graafschap. We went down early on, but a Luuk de Jong double (including a penalty) put us back on top. Yet, again, a defensive lapse let in De Graafschap and we walked away with a 2-2 draw, when the win was in our grasp. Worse was to come, when we went 0-2 down in 20 mins against RKC Waalwijk. Despite reducing the deficit with a Jerry St. Juste headed goal, we couldn't claw the equaliser back.

Annoyed, and thinking the team was a little jaded, I put a youth team in against Achilles '29. We'd played a cup tie just days before so I wanted to get this fixture out the way. Only this time, we found ourselves 0-2 down inside 11 minutes... However, a number of rants at the team, in the dressing room and on the sidelines, saw us overhaul them and win 3-2. Two wins later and we were facing our closest challengers, FC Oss. A Pierre Söderqvist goal grabbed a share of the points and we then went on a three game winning streak to finish January off.

-----------

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

In the KNVB Beker, we faced Jupiler League opposition in FC Emmen, but easily dispatched them 2-1, thanks to goals from hot star Marcus Rashford & last season's top scorer Jan van de Berg. Next up was Eredivisie opposition in the shape of Heracles Almeo. Again, they were dispatched 2-1 in a hard fought and exhausting encounter.

In the Fourth Round, we faced NAC Breda, last season's Jupiler League champions. However, wanting to save my troops for an assault on the Jupiler League title, I played an entire backup/youth side and we were humped 0-4. No dramas.

- Cup Run -

-----------

Transfers:

ScreenShot2014-12-07at214353_zps1997d9ee.png

This was my only transfer activity of the window. I failed to bring in AC Milan's Nigel de Jong on loan.

AZ Alkmaar

2020-21 Season Review

240px-Dutchjupilerleague_zpsf8de752b.jpg

In the end, we romped away with the Jupiler League title, winning it with FIVE games to spare. But with only 5 points dropped in the run-in, it was almost boring. I found myself thinking of next season.. Oh, and the shortlist for the POTY seemed legit... I really wanted to write more, but a pair of 3 month injuries to my right back and midfield were literally the worst things that happened during the run-in. Even the lone defeat came after I'd gone on holiday..

- League Table - Results -

KNVBbekerlogo-cup_zps86aa1462.jpg

A Fourth Round exit again as I didn't want to risk my team in pursuit of the Jupiler League.

- Cup Run -

---------------------------------

Manager's Thoughts

Apart from the start, a relatively easy season. Next year is the big one. Staying up.

AZ Alkmaar

End of Aug 2021 Transfer Window

We were back! Back amongst the big boys! Given that we needed a top half finish and were given a £675k war chest and a £92.7k wage budget to do it with, it seemed plausible! I started completely reshaping my backroom staff, including letting long term Ass Man Toon Gerrits walk away. In came Danny Blind, after his work with AFC Ajax. I also tempted Xavi to become my Head Of Youth Development. A number of new coaches, physios and scouts were also signed.

Eredivisie_logosvg_zpsdad21515.png

We kicked off the 2021/22 Eredivisie season at home to Vitesse Arnhem. I have a rotten record against Vitesse and was hoping for a better result than usual. And it started off great, going 3-1 up after 36 minutes with goals from Luuk de Jong, the returning Sander de Jong & Justin Bakker. Bakker had wanted to leave for Groningen, but was convinced to stay with a new contract and Key Player status. However, it then fell apart. We conceded on the stroke of HT, let them have the equaliser on 69 minutes and take the lead on 81 minutes. I was absolutely fuming. Another defeat to these klootzakken!! On 92 minutes, however, Lionel Enguene swooped on a loose ball from a corner to ram it home for a 4-4 draw. Awesome! It wasn't a win, but I'll be damned if I was losing to them!

The next game was a somewhat more sedate affair as we destroyed Sparta Rotterdam 5-1, despite having three injuries requiring substitutes in the first half alone. Marcus Rashford with two goals, two assists and a MoM trophy. We next squeaked past ADO Den Haag in a tight encounter, 2-1. Sander de Jong and old MVV favourite Marcel Blaauw getting the goals.

Blaauw, who'd come on loan from Real Madrid, then stayed hot as he headed home the game winner in a famous 1-0 win over AFC Ajax; hit a double in a 3-1 win over Heracles Almeo and finally scored the backbreaker on the stroke of HT in a 5-2 win over FC Groningen..

- Table - Fixtures -

----------------------

Transfers

Firstly, I landed ST Marcel Blaauw on loan from Real Madrid. He'd blossomed since I sold him from MVV and I was looking to reap the rewards. Next (and I don't know what the hell is going on with the screenshot) I managed to convince the loan star of the last two seasons, AML/ST Andrew Johnson, to join us after being released from Newcastle United. Next was a trio of free agent signings in DM/MLC Albert Gonzalez, another starlet released from Manchester United; AMRLC Marlon Slabbekoom on his release from PSV Eindhoven and Australian full back Nick Moore, after he left Sydney FC. A number of backups were then signed for cover and the future, either via loan or free transfer. Finally, I paid £2.6m for Portuguese full back José Manuel Couto from FC Porto. Couto was a seriously good prospect and needed to move on

We only sold two players this period. ST Mitchell te Vrede was sold for £900k to Lommel United, With Blaaw coming in on loan and De Jong as my main striker. He would have got almost no game time so the transfer made sense, especially as he was earning around £15k p/w! Secondly, DR Arthur Siereveld went to Premier League club Stevenage Borough for £5m + 50%. I really didn't want to sell him as he was a bright young Dutch star in the side. However, £5m was too good to ignore and he paved the way for Couto's arrival. The rest were free transfers out

- Transfers -

(Just to make it clear. I won't be leaving AZ for any less than Ajax or AC Milan)

Archived