FM15: Chelsea F.C. - The Blue Monster Is Complete

PitchPosh

Just dabbling with the Beta for now and won't start properly until the official release patch. Agree about the slowness on my laptop though. My laptop should comfortably cope but it is dreadfully slow, even clicking on new pages, etc outside of games. Hopefully this is just the Beta because if not I can see it being a big problem in me getting into the game.

The one issue I seem to have, and maybe it's just me being thick with some of the new features, is the number of players complaining about a lack of tactical training. I take tactical coaching at 4 1/2 stars and have also changed the focus to tactical in training but still some players moan. Am I missing a trick or something?

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just dabbling with the Beta for now and won't start properly until the official release patch. Agree about the slowness on my laptop though. My laptop should comfortably cope but it is dreadfully slow, even clicking on new pages, etc outside of games. Hopefully this is just the Beta because if not I can see it being a big problem in me getting into the game.

The one issue I seem to have, and maybe it's just me being thick with some of the new features, is the number of players complaining about a lack of tactical training. I take tactical coaching at 4 1/2 stars and have also changed the focus to tactical in training but still some players moan. Am I missing a trick or something?

I am having the same problem with training in general... I signed a few more average u21 coaches to spread accross the board and that caused a decreased from average to light but my players stats are dropping and still moaning about training :/ No idea what to do about it...

I am having the same problem with training in general... I signed a few more average u21 coaches to spread accross the board and that caused a decreased from average to light but my players stats are dropping and still moaning about training :/ No idea what to do about it...

Glad it's not just me then. I'm assuming it's a problem everyone might be having and will be fixed in the patch. A couple have moaned about too heavy a schedule which I would expect as normal but that tactical thing is a massive pain. It got to the point where Courtois was moaning about it every week!

I also had Cahill become unhappy on transfer deadline due to interest from Man City. I can understand the unsettling process and don't have a problem with that. My issue was that he wanted to leave because he felt he would have a bigger role at Man City...he had played every game for me so far with an 'important first team player' status.

Going on to things more positive though, the team looks good and the obvious additions of Courtois, Costa and Fabregas (and Remy) make the team look much stronger and more well rounded compared with last year's game. £50m in the kitty should also help to snap up some of the best young talents early in the game!

Glad it's not just me then. I'm assuming it's a problem everyone might be having and will be fixed in the patch. A couple have moaned about too heavy a schedule which I would expect as normal but that tactical thing is a massive pain. It got to the point where Courtois was moaning about it every week!

I also had Cahill become unhappy on transfer deadline due to interest from Man City. I can understand the unsettling process and don't have a problem with that. My issue was that he wanted to leave because he felt he would have a bigger role at Man City...he had played every game for me so far with an 'important first team player' status.

Going on to things more positive though, the team looks good and the obvious additions of Courtois, Costa and Fabregas (and Remy) make the team look much stronger and more well rounded compared with last year's game. £50m in the kitty should also help to snap up some of the best young talents early in the game!

The schedule thing is crazy because I tend to like to keep my squad to 20-21 players and I cant really do this with the way the games come thick and fast. Yeah it is pretty annoying.

I had the same thing with Hazard and Bayern... He wouldnt have a greater role in there team, they have Robben and Ribbery!

Yeah I sold Remy and Schurrle. I am regretting it big time! Also Zouma developed well and then for some reason I decided to sell him to Bayern. Luckly this is just my beta save.

Anyone have recommendations for pacey centerbacks to target in the first transfer window? It's actually kind of annoying that Luiz isn't around anymore as he was excellent in FM for keeping a high line. Ideally, I'd like a starting quality CB with pace so Ivan can be backup rightback and backup centerback.

@xinsomniacboix - Nkoulou from Marseille sounds perfect. Pace 14, Acceleration 15. Cheap too, ~£6M transfer fee + ~£2M p/a wages. I'm at the end of the first season and his value is now £17.25M after averaging 7.21 for me in a high line.

I haven't had the training issues that you guys are referring to. I haven't touched anything to do with that, with it being a beta save, and the standard settings seem to have worked for me.

The overheating issue is getting on my nerves a bit. I'm having to play two games, save and then turn the laptop off every time.

Anyone have recommendations for pacey centerbacks to target in the first transfer window? It's actually kind of annoying that Luiz isn't around anymore as he was excellent in FM for keeping a high line. Ideally, I'd like a starting quality CB with pace so Ivan can be backup rightback and backup centerback.

Balanta - 7-9mil

The schedule thing is crazy because I tend to like to keep my squad to 20-21 players and I cant really do this with the way the games come thick and fast. Yeah it is pretty annoying.

I had the same thing with Hazard and Bayern... He wouldnt have a greater role in there team, they have Robben and Ribbery!

Yeah I sold Remy and Schurrle. I am regretting it big time! Also Zouma developed well and then for some reason I decided to sell him to Bayern. Luckly this is just my beta save.

The greater role issue - basically the players want a new contract, it's available as one of the replies to the player during the private chat where he voiced his issue.

I recommend Balanta. I didn't use him last year but I have in my Chelsea test save and lets just say he is the only one I will definitely be getting again when the real game is released. Nkoulou or Dede(joined us but not played enought to be judged fairly) are other options which I havent tried yet.

The greater role issue - basically the players want a new contract, it's available as one of the replies to the player during the private chat where he voiced his issue.

So if I offer the improved contracts it should sort this issue out?

Anybody else found Cahill to be error prone? He seems to make a lot of mistakes for me.

Whats the closest way to replicate oscar's role in jose's team? The all action number 10 who doubles as a destroyer and also gets in the box occasionally?

Honestly have no idea... Sure that helps. I think the closest you are going to get him to play that way would be to playing him as an attacking midfielder in amc- then ask him to close down much more?

I recommend Balanta. I didn't use him last year but I have in my Chelsea test save and lets just say he is the only one I will definitely be getting again when the real game is released. Nkoulou or Dede(joined us but not played enought to be judged fairly) are other options which I havent tried yet.

So if I offer the improved contracts it should sort this issue out?

Anybody else found Cahill to be error prone? He seems to make a lot of mistakes for me.

Can't be 100%, have to test further, but during the player interaction when the player complains to you about the player role, there's a reply to say that you will give him an improved contract to show that he is impt or smth along that line. It worked once for me if I remember correctly.

Can't be 100%, have to test further, but during the player interaction when the player complains to you about the player role, there's a reply to say that you will give him an improved contract to show that he is impt or smth along that line. It worked once for me if I remember correctly.

I will try that out if it happens again. Starting test save 2.

Proabably want him to tackle harder too if possible?

Yeah that probably is a good idea. I think Oscars mentals and technical attributes will lead to him working like a nutter with those suggestions.

Whats the closest way to replicate oscar's role in jose's team? The all action number 10 who doubles as a destroyer and also gets in the box occasionally?

AMC Advanced Playmaker Support Role. My team instructions is "Close down more often" so coupled that with his 20 work rate, as well as his preferred move "comes deep to get ball", he is quite close in the game to real life

Oh, please don't release Drogba in Jan! It cost you 1.7mil. In fact, on deadline day 2nd Feb, I managed to sell him for 500k to Everton. Good deal, considering his contract ending at the end of the season!

This reminds me, is there no "Approach To Sign" option for players who have 6 months or less left on their contract? I wasn't able to sign anyone on a free for the summer window in January.

This reminds me, is there no "Approach To Sign" option for players who have 6 months or less left on their contract? I wasn't able to sign anyone on a free for the summer window in January.

Are you sure because I was able to? :S

Can anybody tell me where the tutor option has gone?

Player>Development>Training>Tutor and then chose the tutee or vice versa

The First Team

Goalkeepers

Thibaut Courtois

Nationality:be.png

Position: GK

No.: 13

Courtois is your first choice keeper hands down. At 22, he's already one of the world's best keepers and should be your first choice for the next 10+ years. His ability in the air is the highlight of his skill set, but in truth he's a fantastic player all around. Signed through 2019 you won't have to worry about a contract for some time, but when you do keep him at all costs.

Recommendation: This is your keeper for the present and foreseeable future, no doubt.

Petr Cech

Nationality:cz.png

Position: GK

No.: 1

Able to walk into most teams in the world as their first choice keeper, Petr Cech is now Chelsea's no. 2. Still a very good player, with Courtois in the squad it's likely that he'll be no more than a world-class backup, but on £100k a week that peace of mind isn't coming cheap. Keeping him satisfied with playing time could be an issue.

Recommendation: If you feel you can keep both Courtois and Pete happy with their playing time for the first season, then it might not be a bad idea to keep him. However, every season you keep him his value declines and the amount you can get out of him on the market does too.

Defenders

Cesar Azpilicueta

Nationality:es.png

Position: D®|D(L)

No.: 28

In Azpilicueta you have a fantastically well rounded fullback who can play on either side of the pitch. Consistent, hard working, and good in the final third there is no reason why Azpilicueta shouldn't be your first choice at right back. The only compromise you will have to make with his performances is that of his long throws, so take them for what you will. Signed through 2019 you won't have to worry about negotiating a new deal any time soon, but when that time comes pen this guy down for another 3-4 years.

Recommendation: The only reason he shouldn't be playing at right back for you is that you're rotating the squad for a lesser competition or he's covering the left side of the pitch for Luis. With that said, his ability to play both sides of the pitch and him being either footed gives you the ability to play both him and Ivanovic at the same time.

Branislav Ivanovic

Nationality:rs.png

Position: D®/D©

No.: 2

Ivanovic seems to come up with goals when we need them most and is a rock at the back. Capable of doing a job at both fullback and center back, you can use him as cover for both positions or start him at right back with Azpilicueta on the left. Going forward is the weakest part of his game when playing at fullback, but what he lacks there he can make up for with his ability in the air during set pieces. At age 30 and with his contract expiring in 2016, you'll have a decision to make on whether or not to keep him beyond his current contract.

Recommendation: Providing good cover for two positions and possibly operating as a starter for one of them, keeping Ivanovic until his contract runs out seems like the best idea. Whether or not you keep him after that will depend on the development of youngsters and the signings you make. Beyond the first season I would say he's fair game.

John Terry

Nationality:england.png

Position: D©

No.: 26

Mr. Chealsea himself, John Terry is the leader and captain of the squad and a legend for the club. Terry's performance has seen somewhat of a resurgence since Mourinho's reunion with the club. You won't find a smarter defender or a better tutor for the youngsters at the club. Despite his lack of pace he can still do a job, and a very good one at that, as long as he's complimented by the defender he's paired with.

Recommendation: With his contract coming up at the end of the first season you'll have to weigh the pros and cons, but in my opinion you keep him. Keep him forever and let him retire with the club and then bring him on as a coach.

Gary Cahill

Nationality:england.png

Position: D©

No.: 24

Chances are he won't win you matches, but he won't lose them for you either. A well rounded center back, Cahill provides a decent counterpart for Terry at the back, though he lacks the pace one might desire. He makes up for this a bit with his acceleration, but at 28 I wouldn't view him as a long term option at the back.

Recommendation: For the first couple of seasons he can be a good player, but with the likes of Zouma and Kalas creeping up behind him it might be a good idea to cash in on him before his contract is up in 2017.

Kurt Zouma

Nationality:fr.png

Position: D©/D®

No.: 5

Filipe Luis

Nationality:br.png

Position: WB(L)/D(L)

No.: 3

Midfielders

Nemanja Matic

Nationality:rs.png

Position: DM©/M©

No.: 21

John Obi Mikel

Nationality:ng.png

Position: DM©/M©

No.: 12

Ramires

Position: M©/DM, M/AM®

No.: 7

Cesc Fabregas

Position: M©/AM©, ST©

No.: 4

Oscar

Position: AM©/M©, AM®

No.: 8

Attackers

Willian

Position: AM©/ M©, AM(RL)

No.: 22

Eden Hazard

Nationality:be.png

Position: AM(L)/M©, AM(CR)

No.: 10

Andre Schurrle

Nationality:de.png

Position: AM(L)/AM®, ST©

No.: 14

Mohamed Salah

Nationality:eg.png

Position: AM®/AM(LC)

No.: 17

Loic Remy

Nationality:gf.png

Position: ST©/AM(L)

No.: 18

Didier Drogba

Nationality:ci.png

Position: ST©

No.: 11

Diego Costa

Position: ST©

No.: 19

Any chance you can post up the individual profiles of the U21/U18 team as well?

Any chance you can post up the individual profiles of the U21/U18 team as well?

There are a ton of players in the U21 squad, so for the sake of saving time I will only be posting the best prospects from each squad.

Great job on the thread PitchPosh! Will hopefully post on occasion this year, can't wait until he full release :thup:

Thanks Bracken, I appreciate that. This is one of those things that you don't realize how much work it takes until you actually do it, so cheers for the thread last year ;)

Hope to see you around!

Great job on the thread PitchPosh! Will hopefully post on occasion this year, can't wait until he full release :thup:

Great to see you in the Chelsea thread again Bracken and look forward to your occasional posts!Have to agree that you are doing a great job PitchPosh!

Yesterday I finished the first season on the beta. I wont continue it into the full game, it was just a test save to get used to fm15. I started the first half of the season with 4-2-3-1, but halfway I switched back to 4-3-3. Not due to poor results or because I dont like 4-2-3-1, but because in the end, 4-3-3 is in my dna :D

Anyway, won the Premier League with quite some distance. Got knocked out in the Capital One Cup fourth round at home to Norwich. FA Cup I exited 3rd round away to Fulham. Both were 1-0 defeats, so not great :D

Champions League was awesome though. QF I drew Real Madrid. Away I lost 2-1. First half they were better and Ronaldo scored twice from a corner. Second half we had them contained and created chances on the break. Eventually with about 12 minutes to go, Diego Costa won a penalty which Hazard slotted home for that vital away goal.

Second leg was at home. Hazard quickly made it 1-0. The Ramires (who was great as BWM (s)) scored twice. Ronaldo then get sent of with his second yellow and Hazard eventually wrapped it up for a dominant 4-0 home victory. I played this game on the attack and it payed off :)

Reward was a SF against Bayern, first leg at home. Since attacking Madrid from the off at home worked so great, I decided to put Bayern under the same kind of pressure. Again Hazard gave us an early lead, but Gotze pulled it back soon after. We were all over them though and created chance after chance. The reward finally came when Terry made it 2-1. Not the best result, as we definately deserved more. But hey, at least it was a victory to take to the away leg.

Away I decided going on the attack would be a bit foolish. Unfortunately, Schweinsteiger quickly made it 1-0 from a corner. Until then, we hadnt created too much. Considering we now had to score one regardless and that it didnt matter too much if they scored a second, I figured I'd be better off going full on the attack again. Better score 2 and concede 2, that not score at all, right?? Eventually it paid off when Cahill volleyed a ball home for 1-2. Since Bayern then had to score 3, I went back into defence. Bayern couldnt score and Cahill wrapped it up for a 1-3 away win to put us in the final!

There we played Man City. In the league, we played them 0-0 away and won 2-0 at home. Soon enough, Willian put us ahead after a great dribble by Hazard. Our ball retention system worked well in the final as our possession crept up. Second half we were all over them. Still playing a possession game, but we were simply too good for them. They could hardly create anything as we defended well and we created plenty of chances. Hazard made it 2-0 after an assist by Willian who himself wrapped up the final with a convincing 3-0 win. With some excellent football to boot!

edit: and the better news was that a day later the Chelsea board announced a new stadium! Due in 2017.

I usually reserve the beta purely to test out the new game and features, leaving my long term Chelsea save until the full release or a bit after. However, this time around i've used Chelsea on the beta, based on how we're doing in real life.

Just finished my first season with a clean sweep of the competitions. The Prem was closer than I would've liked, with Liverpool breathing down our necks until the last two game weeks where they slipped up and left us to take a three point lead. Youngsters got a chance in the FA Cup and Capital One Cup and we happily won both of those. Champions League wise, we lost twice in the group stages (vs Feyenoord and Sporting) and only went through top on goal difference over Feyenoord. We stepped things up after that beating Napoli (3-2 agg), Feyenoord (4-1 agg) and Athletic (2-1 agg) before beating Barcelona 3-2 in the final.

Transfers wise, I only made five transfers over the course of the season. Will Hughes was signed but immediately loaned back to Derby for the rest of the season; Panos Armenakas floated between the first team and U21s; Aiser Illarramendi became part of my first choice midfield three; Munir became a second choice striker behind Diego Costa and Shkodran Mustafi was brought in as defensive cover.

Mohamed Salah, Todd Kane and John Obi Mikel were the only transfers out.

That meant my first eleven was as follows: (noteworthy stats for all competitions in italics)

GK: Courtois

RB: Azpilicueta

CB: Cahill

CB: Terry

LB: Luis

DM: Illarramendi

CM: Fabregas (6 goals and 21 assists in 44(6) apps)

CM: Matic

AMR: Schurrle (33 goals & 17 assists in 51(7) apps)

AML: Hazard (18 goals & 21 assists in 50(8) apps)

ST: Costa (38 goals & 16 assists in 44(10) apps)

Costa won Prem Top Goalscorer. Schurrle was second.

Schurrle won Footballer of the Year.

Fabregas won Players Player of the Year.

Hazard won Players Young Player of the Year.

I won Manager of the Year.

Terry, Schurrle, Fabregas, Hazard, Costa in Players Team of the Year. Azpilicueta on the bench.

-----

Looking forwards to the second season, there has been a lot of transfers due to players coming back from loans. I think i've spent more time so far trying to sort that out than anything else. Oscar wants to leave, and rightly so considering he only got 19(16) apps last season. Although that was down to Schurrle bossing things, I should've played him more. However, I can't shift him at all.

Hopefully he changes his mind and wants to stay!

Thanks Bracken, I appreciate that. This is one of those things that you don't realize how much work it takes until you actually do it, so cheers for the thread last year ;)

Hope to see you around!

Yeah I did it for FM11 I think, put so much time into that thread haha. I would never have done it two years in a row for Chelsea like Bracken did!

Great to see you in the Chelsea thread again Bracken and look forward to your occasional posts!Have to agree that you are doing a great job PitchPosh!

Thanks Nate, glad you're enjoying it!

Yeah I did it for FM11 I think, put so much time into that thread haha. I would never have done it two years in a row for Chelsea like Bracken did!

Yeah, we'll see if someone else steps up next year ;)

Hey guys, has anyone had luck re-training Ramires into a RB? He seems to have decent stats for a supporting full back in my formation, as I bought Wanyama for the DM position to rotate with Matic.

I think he'd be okay as a defensive full back, but his passing might let you down if he has anything to do with build up play, and his crossing isn't particularly great either.

Hey guys been a while. Got a quad in the first season and undefeated season. The surprise was I didn't need to do much tinkering once I had my chosen player roles in a 4-2-3-1 system. I am determined, however, to try and get the old 4-3-3/4-5-1 working.

Regardless, I managed to make RA not judge me on possession football and instead building up youths. Now the first season is pass, I'm on a spending spree of teenagers and hoping I can polish out some diamonds from the batch, and I'll keep doing that.

Oh and I didn't like Lampard not being here so I put down £5 million, no questions asked to get him back and retire here. Drogba also retired here and is a coach.

Hazard(treq) and Costa(poacher) were insane, I hope they continue in to the second season. Shurrle was also a surprise package for me playing phenomenally from the left and winning young player's award, so he'll be staying on.

The only big buy I did for season 2 was Hulk. Wasn't really necessary but because I'm trying a different formation, I'm hoping Hazard and Hulk on the flanks will be an interesting combination with Costa in the middle leading the front.

Cech outperformed Courtios and so he's still the main guy.

Because I took Chelsea, Mourinho took City and well....we've had hell of a rivalry. Big verbal exchanges and big games. He had no chance in the league because he took over City when they were 6th and the FA Cup and Champions League final were his only chances at trying to score a win but my boys always managed to turn it up at the final 20 minutes to finish games with 2-3 goal leads (even if having to make a comeback)

Ramires had long term injury and missed all the season outside 3 games, hamstring tears and broken legs did that. I'm still keeping him as back up, he's happy enough. The squad is large now, which I'm happy with. A lot of back up, a lot of youngsters that can be bled in over the following years (and will constantly be topped up every year).

Edit:

Ooops, the undefeated honeymoon is over. Lost my first match in the Charity Shield. RVP last minute winner....stings. Really don't want to return to 4-2-3-1 but from pre-season assessments the team seems incapable of keeping possession and creating chances if they play anything else.

Hey guys, has anyone had luck re-training Ramires into a RB? He seems to have decent stats for a supporting full back in my formation, as I bought Wanyama for the DM position to rotate with Matic.

To be honest in this years version of the game Ramires is the first player to go. Unfortunately he just seems so much worse than last year. As PitchPosh said, his technique, passing and crossing arent great, therefore not great at right back if you want to build up from the back.

I find him to still be great at the one thing he's good at: Close down and tackle. I use him as a ball winning midfielder (support) with shoot less and fewer risky passes. That way in possession he keeps it simply and even adds a few assists and goals! Without the ball, he's great at harassing others!

I find him to still be great at the one thing he's good at: Close down and tackle. I use him as a ball winning midfielder (support) with shoot less and fewer risky passes. That way in possession he keeps it simply and even adds a few assists and goals! Without the ball, he's great at harassing others!

I agree with you. Off the ball he is great when it comes to getting the ball back. However the fluid -Guardiloa system I am creating just requires better all round players i.e. Khedira his replacement.

Yeah, he's definately limited. When I start a full game proper, I like to play with the first transfer window disabled. So first season I'll keep it. But for the second season I'll probably replace him with Chalobah who deserves a shot imo :)

I give up, the past 2-3 game versions 4-5-1/4-3-3 just hasn't seemed to work...I think its the whole player role system. Before I could specify player instructions in a way that I have no clue what player role fits what I used to use.

For some reason, 4-2-3-1 just felt way easier to do.

I've always done fine with 4-3-3 :) Never really use anything else.

I used Matic as DM, Fabregas at MCR as roaming playmaker, Oscar at MCL as central midfielder (attack), Hazard at AML as IF (s) and either Willian at AMR as winger (attack) or Schurrle as Raumdeuter. Costa DLF (s).

What system are you trying? Im sure I can help you out :) Just post your whole line up, player roles, and TI/PI you use.

Ooooff the quality. First time after so long the team does look complete. Can't wait for my copy next week.

Great work btw PP :thup:

Cheers gr8. Yeah, I can't wait to see where this team takes me and where I take it! Class is oozing from the squad.

Time to test the full release. Seems like there has been a few changes since version has gone from 15.03 to 15.1.1 .Time to see what changes have been made to the match engine too.

There were a couple of glaring issues with the ME, so let's hope they've been resolved. Time to start my official Chelsea save!

I've always done fine with 4-3-3 :) Never really use anything else.

I used Matic as DM, Fabregas at MCR as roaming playmaker, Oscar at MCL as central midfielder (attack), Hazard at AML as IF (s) and either Willian at AMR as winger (attack) or Schurrle as Raumdeuter. Costa DLF (s).

What system are you trying? Im sure I can help you out :) Just post your whole line up, player roles, and TI/PI you use.

These are my available players for season 2: http://gyazo.com/47b52ec1b19dfb641634ff3fbc21e1c1

This is the formation that isn't working as well as 4-2-3-2. Ignore the players positioned in this picture, I just directly switched from 4-3-2-1 just to show you the formation, Obviously Willian would not be where he is shown; http://gyazo.com/8763ed32b03c53b8566ba43f8a619770

Just that 4-3-2-1, I get a lot of chances on goal. 4-1-2-2-1 has a lot of off target chances and well, as I mentioned the before, the instructions I felt I could fine tune in classic mode has me struggling with roles for the two MC and wide men (I like the idea of inside forwards but it never feels its doing what I want)

Anyway, not as dominant in terms of win in the UCL group stages as defending champions but we will probably still quality. Still only lost one game and that was charity shield, still keeping undefeated in all competitions. We're dipped formwise in terms of conceding goals that cost us a win. Really eager to get a possession attacking game with a holding DM which I feel gives me superior protection than the 4-2-3-1.

These are my available players for season 2: http://gyazo.com/47b52ec1b19dfb641634ff3fbc21e1c1

This is the formation that isn't working as well as 4-2-3-2. Ignore the players positioned in this picture, I just directly switched from 4-3-2-1 just to show you the formation, Obviously Willian would not be where he is shown; http://gyazo.com/8763ed32b03c53b8566ba43f8a619770

Just that 4-3-2-1, I get a lot of chances on goal. 4-1-2-2-1 has a lot of off target chances and well, as I mentioned the before, the instructions I felt I could fine tune in classic mode has me struggling with roles for the two MC and wide men (I like the idea of inside forwards but it never feels its doing what I want)

Anyway, not as dominant in terms of win in the UCL group stages as defending champions but we will probably still quality. Still only lost one game and that was charity shield, still keeping undefeated in all competitions. We're dipped formwise in terms of conceding goals that cost us a win. Really eager to get a possession attacking game with a holding DM which I feel gives me superior protection than the 4-2-3-1.

I cant see your team instructions, so tell me a little about what style of play you'd like to adopt. Maybe you also have a preference for certain players/roles, in which case let me know that as well. Then tell me how you've tried to accomplish that so far and where you feel you're getting lost.

If you can (briefly) describe that to me, I can give you some good pointers :) The problem is not with the 4-3-3, cause I've succesfully used it for years (also now in fm15 already).

http://gyazo.com/8bc741a4a72b664d82ba2a39341e81b3

Basically I want my mid three to be able to pass a ball to each other without a limp foot and then the three men at front to make it possible for the Costa man to get some balls in. Right now I'm concerned with possession, I know I have good ball players but with all the "play short, retain" possession stuff, they can't seem to manage it.

It just feels that in this way, the box is never threatened enough by my players but in the other formation it is because of the positional threat just having an AMC provides, I dunno, seems easier to feed balls to a central striker with an AMC than it is with two MCs that I want hovering up to the box to sneak balls in straight or wide.

Also my fans are happy I'm doing lots of attacking football (thank you 4-2-3-1) and lots of goals, but apparently it isn't exciting....despite creating ridiculous number of chances. I can only assume the game counts high possession as 'exciting' so would like that to work out somehow.

In older ones, I'd have everyone on same team mentality, the two DCs and DM only ones to differ. Fullbacks to be always bombing forward. And the two MCs and wide men to be roaming passers/creators for the one striker in the middle.

I can understand things looking better with an AMC. This is because you're playing on attacking. This means your players will be very quick in running and passing forward and aggressive in trying to force something, like a through ball, dribble or shot. Think of how Dortmund bomb forward every time as soon as they have the ball. In this system, there is no focus on possession and the more players you already have forward (like an AMC), the easier it is to quickly create chances at that end.

If you want a more considered build up with ball retention as a focus and trying to carve out good chances, allowing your midfield to work their way up the pitch with the ball, you'll absolutely want the counter strategy.

Combine this with play out of defence and short passing to use a considered build up. You can also add retain possession, though I would only do that after a 1/2 goal lead when I just want to focus on retaining possession. Otherwise it might give you too much emphasis on retaining possession over creating chances. But its up to you to see what you prefer :) Work ball into box is obviously also a good one to add.

My personal preference in midfield is having Matic as DM (D), Cesc as Roaming Playmaker and Oscar as CM (A) for penetrative runs from midfield to support Costa. You could also play Oscar as playmaker if you want, thats up to you to decide. Try both and see what works for you/what you like.

Up front you'll definately want your lone striker (without AMC) to have a support duty. Defensive Forward is too limiting for Diego Costa, I would just play him as a deep-lying forward. You can always add more closing down and/or tackle harder to make him work hard defensively.

Down the wings its always good to have variety. Personally I like to use Hazard as inside forward (support) at AML. This allows him to pick up the ball from deep and start dribbling with it. You can then use your left-back to bomb up and overlap Hazard down the left flank. Its up to you to decide whether you want your full-back to also dribble or cross a lot.

To add variety, I like playing either Willian at AMR as Winger (attack) or Schurrle as Raumdeuter. This provides a direct attacking threat down that flank, meaning your opponent will always be alert. To compensate, I would use a slightly more conservate full-back on the right, as he'll generally have less protection from his winger.

Then, by having a direct attacking threat at AMR, I would have your midfield passes (in my case Cesc) at MCR. Down the left I have Hazard cutting inside and creating, so I use Oscar at MCL to run forward, so Hazard can create for him.

As you can see, you really have to think about your tactics as a whole. Hopefully these will give you some ideas to get you set. If you have any question, feel free to ask. And of course post your updates here on how its working (or not, but then we'll keep fixing it if you want :))

edit: forgot to add: in my setup, I really only have Cesc with a specialised role, so I use fluid to give the players the freedom to work together and use their skill to create chances. Structured would be better with more specialised roles.

See, the whole team strategy list is something I've not gotten used to since the classic tactics mode was removed. I guess I'm still thinking the old way. The why I'd do the sliders on myself, I would not have conceptually compared it to how the FM counter-strategy is shaped.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. After all these years, it would be about time it all got updated. Meanwhile, just try to think of it that the more attacking you go, the more your players will bomb forward with and without the ball at all times. So if you want a patient game, taking a little more time to work your way up the pitch with and without the ball, go for counter (or defensive).

What about shape? I've liked "structured" in 4-2-3-1 would you recommend a strong shape and allow creativity from individual areas?

For Chelsea I'd recommend fluid so everyone can contribute. Almost all Chelsea midfielders and attackers are quite versatile and all round, so I would give them all the license to use their skill. Matic for example isnt an anchorman, as he's quite adapt offensively. Oscar isnt really a playmaker, as he's also defensively solid and can score goals. Hazard can also create and score etc. Only exception I make are for Schurrle as Raumdeuter and Cesc as roaming playmaker, to really allow him just the extra freedom to dictate play.

Just snapped up Pogab in the first transfer window on my save. Relishing the thought of Pogba- Fabregas- Matic as a trio and looking at a very ambitious 3-6-1 formation to trounce the smaller sides. Just hoping Matic can effectively do a CB's job higher up the pitch.

Archived