Canvey Island - the Rise of the Yellow Army

dafuge

So let me get this straight.

From the word go, you only sign players whose current ability is at least 2.5 stars (relative to your team, of course).

If they are young and have big potential, you might consider 2 stars, which then means you never buy really young players, like 15/16/17 because usually they're far from 2.5 stars, even when their PA is 4 stars, i.e. they have loads of potential.

Do you look for specific attributes or a certain combination of them (especially in the lower leagues) or you just rely on stars as they mean a player is overall an improvement to your team?

I don't really stick to any strict rules on signings, but I do try to make sure that new players are rated better than my current options. I won't sign backup players who are already fully developed.

The youngest I've bought so far is 18, my scouts just don't find anyone rating that highly much younger than that. I've not had much luck developing youngsters so far, so I tend to buy players with enough current ability to go straight into the first team.

I don't really look at the attributes, unless I have a choice of players to sign.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really stick to any strict rules on signings, but I do try to make sure that new players are rated better than my current options. I won't sign backup players who are already fully developed.

The youngest I've bought so far is 18, my scouts just don't find anyone rating that highly much younger than that. I've not had much luck developing youngsters so far, so I tend to buy players with enough current ability to go straight into the first team.

I don't really look at the attributes, unless I have a choice of players to sign.

Yes, that what's I meant. Under 18 players very rarely have a current ability of more than a star. What's more, they're usually in silver stars, even when their PA stars are four or higher (meaning superstar potential). I've always signed those youngsters, but the problem definitely is that you can't stick them to the first team immediately. You're making me rethink everything I do. :D

It's interesting to note your approach. You keep playing the same tactic regardless of what happens and just focus on making your team better. However, even that is extremely simplistic, focusing on stars and not bothering much with specific attributes. Since I knew that you never change tactics, I expected there was an elaborate story behind your transfer policy...

It's so simple and bare bones, and yet it works phenomenally, which you've been showing us for years with FM series. I think we should all absorb at least a page of your book. :)

It's really dazzling to see then so many people struggling with the game when such a simple approach can be so effective.

Canvey Island - Barclays Premier League - 2029/30

We had become the dominant force domestically, but Europe was proving more of a challenge.

League Table - it was a comfortable win. QPR lost out due to FFP after their tycoon withdrew his funding.

Community Shield - completely one sided.

Capital One Cup - Brighton shocked us, but we came back to win the cup.

FA Cup - we dominated every match we played.

UEFA Champions League - we had a couple of shocks in the group stage, but hit form in the knockout rounds.

Transfers - a huge profit was made as older players were sold in favour of younger signings.

Squad - we are a right winger short of a brilliant squad.

Finances - a decent profit, I just wish we could spend it on a new stadium.

Key Player Profiles:

Park Min-Ho - top scorer again.

Iván Gorostidi - the new striker impressed.

Didier Kouakou - probably our best player.

John Victor - another brilliant season.

Nilson - originally signed as backup, but he's a first choice now.

Career Overview

Season    League                       Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South    9th       
2016/17   Vanarama Conference South    1st         Promoted as champions
2017/18   Vanarama Conference Premier  20th        FA Trophy finalists
2018/19   Vanarama Conference Premier  13th        FA Trophy finalists
2019/20   Vanarama Conference Premier  1st         Promoted as champions
2020/21   Sky Bet League 2             2nd         Promoted
2021/22   Sky Bet League 1             2nd         Promoted
2022/23   Sky Bet Championship         10th        
2023/24   Sky Bet Championship         1st         Promoted as champions 
2024/25   Barclays Premier League      8th         
2025/26   Barclays Premier League      1st         League Cup winners
2026/27   Barclays Premier League      1st         FA Cup winners
2027/28   Barclays Premier League      1st         League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners
2028/29   Barclays Premier League      1st         CWC and FA Cup winners
2029/30   Barclays Premier League      1st         League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners

Next Season

We have another chance to win the lot next season, with a couple of new signings I think it might be possible.

Can you see yourself having another long term save after this one as you seem to have achieved dominance with relatively little fuss?

I won't have another save, but I might try something different within this save if I feel I need something different.

Not a single English player in the squad! Perhaps there's your next challenge.

That isn't deliberate, the English players just aren't that good!

I was hoping I could bring a few youth products through, but they have been terrible so far. The best I've had is now at Chesterfield in the Championship.

Canvey Island - Barclays Premier League - 2030/31

We have become a major force, but a lack of squad depth had made us inconsistent.

League Table - we won it despite throwing away lots of points when playing the youngsters.

Community Shield - a comfortable win.

UEFA Super Cup - we should have won by a lot more.

FIFA Club World Cup - we were easily the better side.

Capital One Cup - we slipped up early on.

FA Cup - we made a mess of the final.

UEFA Champions League - yet again we made a mess of the final, losing to Real Madrid (again). Has a player ever missed twice in a shootout before?

Transfers - I spent big on a left back I had wanted for years, who wasn't even that good.

Squad - I'm trying to bring some younger players through, including a couple of youth products.

Finances - we were in debt a while ago, the prize money saved us.

Key Player Profiles:

Tobias Koller - top scorer.

John Victor - had an incredible season.

Park Min-Ho - missed a lot of the season, but still played well.

Didier Kouakou - our best player.

Muhammed Benali - a young winger who is impressing.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2027/28   Barclays Premier League      1st         League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners
2029/30   Barclays Premier League      1st         League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners
2030/31   Barclays Premier League      1st         CWC winners, FA Cup and Champions League finalists

Next Season

I really need to sort the squad rotation out to compete in all of the cups.

Canvey Island - Barclays Premier League - 2031/32

Last season we lost in both major cup finals, this time we were looking to win the lot.

League Table - another easy win, although we are short of the 90 points we had a couple of years ago.

Community Shield - fairly one sided.

Capital One Cup - we very nearly threw it away at Fulham, but went on to win the cup.

FA Cup - our biggest test came in the final.

UEFA Champions League - finally we got revenge over Real Madrid before leaving it very late in the final.

Transfers - two straight swaps to bring in younger players.

Squad - the first team squad is immense, and we now have a few local players to back them up.

Finances - the usual decent profit, soon to disappear when the transfer window opens.

Key Player Profiles:

Iván Gorostidi - he topped scored as Park Min-Ho struggled for goals.

Tobias Koller - a superb striker.

Didier Kouakou - the new captain was brilliant.

Roel van der Ent - the coaches don't rate him for some strange reason.

Dimitri Guilbert - the new signing is keeping John Victor out of the team.

Career Overview

2030/31   Barclays Premier League      1st         CWC winners, FA Cup and Champions League finalists
2031/32   Barclays Premier League      1st         League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners

Next Season

I'm still looking for the perfect season, I want to win every trophy.

Canvey Island - Barclays Premier League - 2032/33

Last season we won everything we took part in, this season we had a chance to win everything possible.

League Table - it was a record points total as we stormed to the title. Other than Man Utd (who we failed to beat), most of the points dropped were when I rotated the squad to rest players.

Community Shield - a perfect way to kick off the season.

UEFA Super Cup - this one was a bit closer.

FIFA Club World Cup - I think the scoreline actually flattered them.

Capital One Cup - the backup players got us there, but the first team made easy work of the final.

FA Cup - Brentford nearly gave us a shock, but we showed our class again in another Wembley final.

UEFA Champions League - the group stage saw a new record win for the club as we marched on to another final. Despite missing a load of player on international duty, we beat Inter in the final.

Transfers - I sold a backup player and replaced him with someone who was described as World class, at a profit!

Squad - it is becoming hard work to improve this squad.

Finances - the prize money covers up the fact we made a loss, we would be in huge trouble without it.

Key Player Profiles:

Iván Gorostidi - top scorer again, I just hope he continues his form after his injury.

Tobias Koller - yet another stunning season.

Didier Kouakou - he's 30 now, but I can't see how it will be possible to replace him.

Muhammed Benali - a World class winger.

Dimitri Guilbert - an amazing number of goals and assists for a midfielder.

Career Overview

2031/32   Barclays Premier League      1st         League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners
2032/33   Barclays Premier League      1st         CWC, League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners

Next Season

Ideally I would like a new stadium, but there is likely to be a wait of around another 10-15 years for that. With everything won, is it time to move on?

Danilo Mohamed

I forgot to mention this in my season review, but this 22 year old who I paid £12.5m for is leaving for nothing. He was unsettled by interest from another club pre season and became unhappy, meaning I couldn't renew his contract.

Not a great situation, but it has made me realise I really need to tie my players down to longer contracts more often. I can't take the risk of letting them get into the final year any more.

Would it be possible to have a blast with your Canvey Island, Dafuge?

As in upload my save?

I've said the same with every other save I've had, I don't mind uploading it but only once I've finished playing it (which is likely to be at the release of FM16).

Mostly bouncing between League 2 and the Championship, currently in League 1.Managed by Jordan Henderson :D

:D

Have you seen many strange managerial appointments? On my Chorley game I saw Paul Jewell get the Liverpool job when he was 63!

How many scouts do you have and what's your scouting strategy? I'm finding it tough to find quality players on my game and I think it's down to my scouting strategy.

:D

Have you seen many strange managerial appointments? On my Chorley game I saw Paul Jewell get the Liverpool job when he was 63!

How many scouts do you have and what's your scouting strategy? I'm finding it tough to find quality players on my game and I think it's down to my scouting strategy.

Shane Long is currently Man Utd manager, and Claude Makelele is at Arsenal.

I've currently got 26 scouts, all out covering various regions. Once they appear on my known player list I choose which ones to scout again.

Shane Long is currently Man Utd manager, and Claude Makelele is at Arsenal.

I've currently got 26 scouts, all out covering various regions. Once they appear on my known player list I choose which ones to scout again.

Do you also scout less relevant regions, like Caribbean, Middle East, Central America, etc?

Archived