FM15: Southampton F.C. - #WeMarchOn

Matthew Le God

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were a few regular posters on Saints saves back in FM13, so it would be great to see numbers swell in here over time.

Yeah I had a good save with them last year. Currently going good on my Arsenal save but once I lose interest in that Saints are my next objective. So I will be regularly updating here.

I will try and post a big update this evening - I have reached Boxing Day 2014 and am top of the league as we swatted aside all comers in November and December (with exception of a tame 1-1 draw at home with Liverpool...) - Assistant Manager Koeman recommending after the game that I remind the players the effort just wasnt good enough!! Shows har far we have come in a few months!!

With Wanyama leaving in January (and still cooling his heels in my U21 team....) I have agreed to sign Lucas Romero for £7.5m. Cork wont sign a new contract at present (I think he is a bit cheesed off at how much game time he is getting) and JWP is out for 3 months so I may have too look at further midfield reinforcements. Bayern have also transfer listed a decent looking youngish CB called Rode (anyone have any experience of him?) who I might be tempted to sign as well.

Rode is very promising. He got game time in my throwaway Bayern save in the fortnight of pre-Release Beta and did very well. I've seen that Ginter is listed at Dortmund in my save, but I'm unsure if he is as good in FM15 as he appeared to be in FM14. He could be my replacement for Coates unless another promising youngster like Samir appears in Brazil.

This game makes me laugh so hard I could cry sometimes...

Boxing Day game away to Man Utd, lashing rain. Within 19 minutes I am 3-0 down, van Persie after Phil Jones skins Bertrand (...yes Phil Jones) and produces a perfect cross and then two own goals in the space of 5 minutes. I don't think I have conceded an own goal all season.... Utd ended up with 5 shots on target all game, we had 17....

My axe wielding didn't really happen last night. I think Butland is good enough to stick around for a few seasons and Targett seems "OK for now".

I did ship out Tadic to Wolfsbury, for a fee which could reach £28m if all appearance clauses are met. Real Madrid decided that they didn't have enough central midfielders, so stumped up over £25m for Ramirez (who I'm sure will be dumped into their reserves before long), whilst Sissoko departed for Arsenal for £24m. Joel Ward went to West Brom for just shy of £8m and Mane (valued at £24m) is attracting interest from Benfica, but no bid yet. I didn't really intend to sell Sissoko but the offer was too good to ignore and given the flexibility of the likes of Moura and Barkley with their positioning, I took the plunge.

All that activity topped up the kitty again, and I immediately snapped up Depay and am in the progress of signing Kovacic from Inter. As such, this isn't a small Saints side any more. Stadium capacity is up to 48,000+ too, so we're better able to compete on match day income with other large clubs.

I actually played a couple of league matches last night and think the window is still open, so I'll see if I can unearth any decent newgens.

Still using the attacking 4-1-4-1 RT?

Yep. I tried a 4-4-1-1 but it didn't work too well. I find that having a DM makes the whole task of building a tactic so much easier. He screens the defence and stops the DCs doing any unnecessary closing down, and he allows you to be a bold with your MCs. In a 4-4-1-1 I needed one defend Duty CM and a DLP (S) behind a SS (if I remember correctly). On paper, that's just less dynamic than my current Anchor, Roaming Playmaker and CM (A) trio.

I always have a head full of ideas and when I start a new save on a different continent at a lower level, I will try to get one of those ideas working.

Which players should i offer new contract at the start of the season 1? I really dont want to lose those who want to leave for bigger clubs...

I think i've seen people complain about Schneiderlin and Clyne mostly but I think someone also had a bit of trouble with Wanyama.

Superb season 2 RTH. Impressive squad building at the start of Season 2 to get the success you had.

Just a Q, How do you go around selling players for very good fees like the 25m for Ramirez as example. Have found selling as the toughest part of FM 14 after the ease with with I generated 280m+ in one of my Tottenham FM13 save. Do you offer them out or only just Transfer List them and wait for offers?

PS - Will be starting a Saints save soon enough so I will be a regular poster here.

Suggestions on which NT to take along with Saints please. The shortlist is Colombia Serbia or Belgium.

Superb season 2 RTH. Impressive squad building at the start of Season 2 to get the success you had.

Just a Q, How do you go around selling players for very good fees like the 25m for Ramirez as example. Have found selling as the toughest part of FM 14 after the ease with with I generated 280m+ in one of my Tottenham FM13 save. Do you offer them out or only just Transfer List them and wait for offers?

For every player, except Mane, I offered them for more than their value as soon as the season was up and their values were at maximum inflation levels.

Mane was an exception in that I offered him for his value and Benfica (interested, allegedly) tuned their noses up. I then got my DoF to try to sell him for a value of £20m, and for some reason Napoli offered £24m (which includes appearance add-ons) which is what I'd have wanted anyway :)

As ever with with FM, if you get success, you get stuck in a spiral of squad regeneration which starts with selling players for inflated fees who are replaced for younger, often better players, who you develop, sell, buy to replace.........

Thanks for the help RTH.

Will soon post an update on the 1st Transfer Window I just completed. Sold Davis, Cork, Boruc, Yoshida and Fonte. Cancelled Loans of Alderwiereld and Bertrand and brought in some

very good players with the increased 40m budget.

I never managed that long mid-point update. Into February 2015 now, still 2nd 5 or 6 points behind Chelsea and 4 points clear of a 3rd placed Man Utd. Brought in Romero and Balanta in January transfer window after Wanyama departed to Monaco for £25m (they also bought Mirallas for £14m).

Edit - forgot to mention one game that really stood out for me in terms of my own ability to react to situation. 2-0 down at home to Man City (and potentially dropping to 3rd in the tabel as a result), at half time I took Tadic and replaced him with Long as a F9 tucked in behind Pelle. I had to tweak Bertrand PI's as he was only player on the left flank after those changes...changed mentality to Overload from Control and fairly blew them off the pitch scoring 3 in 5 minutes (long got 2) and then killing the game off with further positional changes. Absolulelty delighted!!

5th round of the the FA cup as well and PM teams are dropping like flies in that competition so I have a good chance of going all the way with a bit of luck!

Tadic broke his foot in a league game in January and is done for the season. I have had a horrendous run of injuries, at one time or another i have lost JWP, Alderweid, Clyne and Mayuka all for 2-3 months, they all seem to be different things and are happening in games so I am pretty sure its not my training regime - anyone else experiencing this? I thought at one point I might have to start recalling some U21's from loans to get a side out!!

Looking forward to seing what the Sainst academy throws up by way of newgens - did anybody else get some good prospects in the 1st season?

Will try and finish 1st season this weekend and will do a full review when I do.

Surprised to hear you cancelled those loans - both performed well in season one for me and I'd have retained Alderweireld if I could have.

I am definititely going to retain Alderweid - he has been immense for me as BPD. I have also signed Schneiderlin, Clyne and Tadic to new long term contracts as I want to create a spine of the team around those 3 + JWP and Balanta. I'm not convinced by Pelle and may be on the hunt for a new Complete Forward (needs to be able to operate as the lone forward in my tactic) as he just doesnt score enough (although his assists numbers are great!)

I am definititely going to retain Alderweid - he has been immense for me as BPD. I have also signed Schneiderlin, Clyne and Tadic to new long term contracts as I want to create a spine of the team around those 3 + JWP and Balanta. I'm not convinced by Pelle and may be on the hunt for a new Complete Forward (needs to be able to operate as the lone forward in my tactic) as he just doesnt score enough (although his assists numbers are great!)

It's tricky to keep Toby. We finished 4th in season one so were effectively in the Champions League, but he just wouldn't negotiate as he felt we couldn't match his ambition. Silly boy :D Still, there are plenty of decent centre backs available at low prices at the end of season one.

As yet, I'm yet to have a decent academy prospect. One 3* guy came through, that's about it.

Well a quick update, sims got good but ended up selling him for £15m as I have sterling and schurrle. Gallacher didn't progress beyond a useful squad member so sold him for £12m. Still, £27m from my youth is a good haul. Team is now:

Begovic

Chambers

Stones

Zouma

Sousa (basically a left footed danny alves, probs by best player. Got a youth guy progress though called max Forster who is coming good and on the pool of England potential, my backup cb is another promising youth)

2 from tielemans, Hughes, espinosa (the barca one) and schneiderlin

Sterling, januzaj, schurrle

Barbosa or Carlos

Honourable mentions to Redmond who is unbelieveable! Man city are eyeing him! Same to bilal somethingorotherku who is cabout to displace schurrle, this German intl cb regen who often plays. I am now in 2019 going for a hat trick of cl titles and challenging for the league and cups still in mid Jan.

Hi guys,

1st congrats to Matthew Le God for the excelent opening thread.

Next: playing FM15 for first time and begining with a diferent club from the great BENFICA, heart club.

transfers: 6 young good prospects players and a loan from Arsenal.

Team playing great. Starting December and i'm 1st in Premier, only draw against Chelsea and Q.P.R (lost to Norwich in Capital One :( ). Asking if that normal? if the game too easy or i'm too good manager :)

Sorry for the bad english.

Cheers

I've used him at ML/R either as a Winger (Support) or a Wide Playmaker (Attack) - he excelled for me in the latter role.

At the time, I was trying to play Mane and Tadic in the same team. Once I decided to stick Tadic in his more perfered role out his performances improved ten fold.

Currently 4th in season one and in January. The beast ( wanyama ) wants to leave but I don't want to lose him unless I get circa 20m as there's no doubt he is going to be a world class player at some point. Any way I can try and convince him to stay until Summer when someone will be willing to splash that kind of £ on him?

At the time, I was trying to play Mane and Tadic in the same team. Once I decided to stick Tadic in his more perfered role out his performances improved ten fold.

Currently 4th in season one and in January. The beast ( wanyama ) wants to leave but I don't want to lose him unless I get circa 20m as there's no doubt he is going to be a world class player at some point. Any way I can try and convince him to stay until Summer when someone will be willing to splash that kind of £ on him?

I got a straight £30m with no real bartering at all - and that enabled me to get Romero and Lucas Silva (plus change). I'd be surprised if you can't easily get £25m+.

Started a Southampton save today. Don't normally use other english teams as a Man Utd fan but quite like Southampton and feel like it could be an interesting and enjoyable save. I have just got past transfer deadline day and whilst no one was sold I did manage to bring in a few new faces after telling the board I would get a europa league finish and received a budget of £19m. The players I bought were:

Gino Peruzzi - £3.6m - needed someone as backup/rotation for Clyne.

Aleksandar Dragovic - £9.5m - Only Alderweireld looked good enough to start at centre back so needed to bring in a couple more.

Eder Alvarez Balanta - £7m - Same as above as well as being a great talent for a relatively small fee.

Patrick Roberts - £10.5m - Young English talent, going to train him to play AMR to back up Long.

Had a tough start to the season drawing with Tottenham and losing to Chelsea before beating West Brom. Also beat Swindon in the Capital one cup. I shall update again when I have made more progress.

I've been rattling through season three, so thought I'd post a wall of images so far. Interestingly, it is getting quite tight. We are struggling to win matches we should, and are hit and miss against bigger sides.

screen-shot-2014-11-22-at-19-48-53.png

screen-shot-2014-11-22-at-19-49-14.png

screen-shot-2014-11-22-at-19-49-35.png

screen-shot-2014-11-22-at-19-49-46.png

Lots of injuries so far this season, with only a week or so where I've had a full squad available. Atletico in the 1st Knockout round of the CL, and that's about it so far.

Stadium capacity is over 48k and due to be increased to 52k, which I assume to be the maximum.

Finally decided to suck it up and just force myself into a save despite hating the new FM's layout. Must have started about 6 games and not got past the first window in any of them. But anyway just about to play my first league game of the season and these have been my transfers

http://speedcap.net/sharing/screen.php?id=files/c5/9b/c59bfbd2ebddcdb9f4f3b0f48a57eb00.png

The Cork fee is actually rising to £5.5m based on appearances etc. I also sold the Ox's clause to boost the transfer kitty by £4m or so. Pretty happy with the signings, only downside was that I wanted a striker to compete with Pelle straight away but couldn't find one that was affordable so ended up getting Bonazzoli who is more for the future.

Will update again in Jan probably.

Season three mopped up, and barring a spell of losses at the end of the season (all of which were deserved), we've romped away with things again.

screen-shot-2014-11-23-at-19-23-58.png

screen-shot-2014-11-23-at-19-43-06.png

screen-shot-2014-11-23-at-19-43-49.png

Champions League final was odd. At the point of being ready to kick off, it transpired that nine of my fit South American players were on international duty! That annoyed me so I saved, quit and watched attractive women in small sparkly outfits dance about on Strictly Come Dancing. When I restarted my laptop and loaded the save, everyone was available :confused: Good for us, bad for Bayern :)

I'm stuck in this rut which I get into every FM where we defend brilliantly but bore the pants off people at the other end of the pitch. This year it is likely to be down to my 4-1-4-1 and so I'm trying to think of ways to mix things up to retain defensive solidity, but I'm prepared to compromise it a bit to score more. That's the challenge for season four.

Are you using the option with Alderweireld and/or Bertrand after first season?

Also, what about the futures of: Fonte, Yoshida, Davis, Rodriguez, Pelle, Mayuka and also returning Osvaldo and Ramirez?

Any input appreciated.

I could't get Alderweireld to stay, even after finishing fourth. I kept Bertrand but paid £3m instead of the option at £10m (but sold him in January season two anyway!)

Pelle did great but I should hm at the end of season one for pretty much what I paid for Barbosa from Santos. Ramirez was good when he returned, but not goo enough to refuse a big bid from Madrid at the end of season two (I think, maybe season three). The rest were bit parts who were all sold on my save.

I was distracted bu the City vs. Bayern match so didn't get to look at my 5-3-2 as much as I want. It is coming along but I need to watch a few more matches. I can't remember all the setting so far and some of these might be wrong, but *I think* this is it so far:

Control

Retain Possession

Push Higher Up

Close Down Much More

Work Ball Into Box

Prevent Short GK Distribution

GK (D) Pass Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes, Distribute to DCs

DC (D) x 3 Pass Shorter, Close Down Much Less, Fewer Risky Passes (?)

WBL/R WB (S) Cross Less Often, Stay Wider, Shoot Less Often, Fewer Risky Passes, Pass Shorter, Tackle Harder, Cross From Byline

DM Roaming Playmaker (S) Tackle Harder

MCL CM (A) Tackle Harder, Pass Shorter, Shoot Less Often

MCR B2B (S) Get Further Forward, Pass Shorter, Tackle Harder, Shoot Less Often

STL CF (S) Shoot Less Often, Tackle Harder, Move Into Channels

STR DF (S) Shoot Less Often, Tackle Harder, Move Into Channels

Why am I doing this? Every FM I hit a point where I'm successful but I want a bit more from the team. The 4-1-4-1 remained solid as a rock at the back, but it felt like the goals scored were drying up a bit. It's possibly a consequence of our reputation increasing and teams playing more cautiously against us, and it possibly indicates that the 4-1-4-1 could be made more aggressive to offset that.

I've always had a soft spot for back threes (as seen in my FM13 Saints save, where I used a combination of 3-5-2, 3-1-4-2 and 3-4-1-2 systems). I think I'll evolve towards a 3-1-4-2 with my current system, which I can do just by getting my wide defenders familiar with the ML/R positions. In the mean time, I'll use wing backs in a 3-5-2 with a DM.

In my quest for goals, I'm hoping that the back three allows me to be bolder elsewhere. I already have two strikers compared to one in a 4-1-4-1, the same sort of central midfielder support, plus a more mobile deep starting playmaker than the 4-1-4-1. If I lose anything, it is with the contribution of the wing backs, but they are set up here to serve a specific purpose.

The risks are that a ball over the top will be into space as the RP, BBM and CM will all definitely be some way up field. I *think* I'm happy with that on the whole as it's a risk whose impact should be lessened by the presence of three DCs. I may revert to a Regista back there just to curb the RPs forward movement, but that in turn may detract from what I'm hoping to achieve through the spine of the team. For games against decent teams with a dedicated AMC, I may chanhe the DM Role altogether.

What is the playing style I have in mind? You'll notice a Hell of a lot of Support Duties. I want to really control possession in my quest for goals. I don't want to take too many shots; I want to take good shots. As such, we are playing a ball retention game with short passing and limited crosses. The team will be quite compact in terms of vertical depth (with the wing backs Stay Wider instruction to stretch width when attacking) to help us keep the ball. The Wing Backs are on Support because I want to use Cross Less Often. They will still get up field, and they will still cross, but ideally not until they reach the byline. They also have this Duty to enable the ball retention plans; CWBs and WB (A) just advance too quickly. I want players who will move up field in a more patient way, to maximise passing options.

The proof will be in the pudding! I tested this in various forms throughout preseason, the Community Shield, European Super Cup and a couple of league matches. I continue to tinker but the signs are OK so far.

For the first season, I just sold Boruc (his wage is way too big for a bench warmer) for 750k €. Bought Balanta (9M - to play alongside Toby), Peruzzi (4.2M - challenge Clyne) and Horn (4.8M - challenge Forster and long time replace him). Also trying to get rid of Yoshida but nobody wants him.

Calendar looked awful to start but we managed 3 wins out of 3 games.

83d3e26a400288ee21fdcd55caa23b19.png

Pellè looking awesome. In 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1) first XI is: Forster - Clyne, Toby, Balanta, Bertrand - Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Davis - Tadic, Mané, Pellè.

Targett started against Chelsea and made a assist.

I have absolutely no idea how I've done this in my second season guys.

Unbeaten and top of the table.

I've overspent on some players (as you can see below) but they've all come in and preformed for me.

I'm looking for another striker and currently looking at selling Tadic.

Transfers in and out for the past two seasons:

14/15:

KBUzCoK.png

15/16:

Fny0TLH.png

Tic-tacs, I try to use different playstyles depending on who I'm playing:

My main tactic:

zmlIbap.png

Secondary:

ltY8ray.png

Third, I have no idea what I want to do so this is experimental:

OvHeIVq.png

Results for this season:

2MOtIsm.png

Good to see your 5-3-2 is starting to click now RTH :D

What is your club balance like now?

Hefty because we've sold Destro, Horn and one or two others and signed cheaper, younger alternatives with potential. Stadium capacity is up to exactly 52,000 so match day revenue is up, along with commercial income and prize money.

We're under our wage budget and can still sell one DC (would have been Coates, but he got a cruciate injury and is out for ages).

Could anyone suggest me good and young GK to take over from Forster in longer future? Preferrably also able to be sweeper keeper.

Also: LB cover at the beginning for Bertrand (who I signed after his loan spell) with the potential to surpass him after some years. Targett clearly isn't able to pull it off. Attacking full-back would be ideal.

This thread is a top read so far. RT glad to see you have stuck with it and not gone to lpool.

I'm a Chelsea fan and always start with them but Southampton are my other team and hope to move across to them after a few seasons.

Heart break in my current save to see Southampton down in mid table mediocrity, with Koeman sacked and the vultures circling :/

Could anyone suggest me good and young GK to take over from Forster in longer future? Preferrably also able to be sweeper keeper.

Also: LB cover at the beginning for Bertrand (who I signed after his loan spell) with the potential to surpass him after some years. Targett clearly isn't able to pull it off. Attacking full-back would be ideal.

I picked up a gigantic Serbian keeper from Man Utd for a decent price, and it was pretty easy to get Jack Butland too; both are regular starters for me still and will continue to be so.

Alex Telles is a fantastic option at left back, but don't underestimate Targett. I've only just sold him as I've got a Brazilian newgen on the way, but Targett was great for almost four seasons.

Sorry for being a pest but is there any chance of an upload? I have been trying to emulate your tactic but must have the individual player instructions wrong. I have done the 4-1-4-1 witht the same roles and the team instructions as you have. Do you instruct the full backs to close down less or just the cd's?

Archived