Player interaction kinda sucks

Of course most of us are probably sick to death of having to deal with players complaining about playing time every 2 days, but once a player is "unhappy" (because you refused his request) what can you even do about it? Kurt Zouma (a brand new signing) complained he wasn't getting enough playing time like 6 weeks into the season, I told him he's not a first teamer so he'd have to wait, and now his morale is locked at "abysmal" and even a month later I cannot even talk to him to try and patch things up.

The whole player interaction module is just far too rigid and volatile.

Yeah I had the same with Sergio Romero, became unhappy after a few weeks and couldn't win him round. Ended up leaving for £1m in January due to the problem with selling players.

Maybe I'll transfer list him but I'm pretty committed to not selling him at a huge loss, especially considering I just signed the guy 3 damn months ago. I've already played him a couple of times with his abysmal morale and he played well enough. It would be nice to know if I can cure his unhappiness over time, or if this is completely impossible and it is simply locked in forever until he leaves the club. The complete refusal to talk thing is an obnoxious feature. I think after a month just about any player would be happy to revisit the issue, especially if the manager was taking a conciliatory tone.

The funny thing is that half my U21 players complain about playing time on a weekly basis, but I just "assertively" tell them that their development would be best if they stay at the club, and they accept it. Or at least, they accept it for a week or two until we have the exact same conversation again.

Maybe I'll transfer list him but I'm pretty committed to not selling him at a huge loss, especially considering I just signed the guy 3 damn months ago. I've already played him a couple of times with his abysmal morale and he played well enough. It would be nice to know if I can cure his unhappiness over time, or if this is completely impossible and it is simply locked in forever until he leaves the club. The complete refusal to talk thing is an obnoxious feature. I think after a month just about any player would be happy to revisit the issue, especially if the manager was taking a conciliatory tone.

If you keep on playing him, he'll eventually calm down. In my experience all players calm down and let you talk to them after a while, even the ones that handed in an official transfer request. Faster if he gets the playing time and eliminates the original problem though.

I wish there were more interactive options too. Goalkeepers are the most annoying, you sign them as a backup and they still complain about first team football. Once you fall out with a player he refuses to ever talk to you, very annoying.

This happened to me. I signed a goalkeeper on a free transfer as back-up, 6 games into the season he complained about the lack of first team football. Ended up selling him for 6 mil but for a goalkeeper set as back up to complain so soon is just stupid

This happened to me. I signed a goalkeeper on a free transfer as back-up, 6 games into the season he complained about the lack of first team football. Ended up selling him for 6 mil but for a goalkeeper set as back up to complain so soon is just stupid

It happens with all my backup keepers. I always use them in low priority cup games but that's still not good enough. I understand everyone wants to play first team football but it makes no sense if they complain when they clearly signed to be a backup. I should be able to sue these players!

At least a 20 year old striker who is out on loan to gain a work permit isnt complaining about there being to many players in his position - there is no option to say 'er, hello. you cant even play for three years, some of these guys will have moved on by then'.

Its obviously an area which has alot of potential, lets just hope for more in FM15!!!

Ridiculous that they now get locked in 'our relationship is broken I won't talk to you' state in FM14. I had a guy do this for a year, then he suddenly became happy again.

Yea I even said something nice about him in the press. His status said "reacted well to coach's comment" but his morale is still abysmal and he's still "unhappy".

If you can afford to, then loan him out, unless you will give him the playing time. Playing time will get him over it. I did this after a new signing complaining about my team talk 2 matches in. Everyone else responded well, so I told him to suck it up. He took offence and I just loaned him out, despite him being rotation/first team quality. It took him months to get over it, but when he returned it was like nothing happened.

I'm having the opposite at the moment. A player of mine wanted to discuss moving to a bigger club. Told him we want to grow and match his ambition, to which he replied he won't wait that long. I refused to back down, rejected his transfer request and moved him into the reserves to make a point. Then a couple of weeks later I brought him back to first team squad and checked his profile - there was suddenly no sign of any unhappiness. Offered the guy a contract extension which he happily agreed to. Couple of months later he's back with the same issue only this time I completely ignored him. A week on and he's perfectly happy again. He just did it again for the third time only this time it didn't even take a week for him to be all normal again and if I go and offer him another contract he's willing to extend it yet again. I mean come on son, make up your mind already!

The whole process seems random and lacking in real conversation options. Firstly, no-one's interested in him. It would make sense for some bigger clubs to actually show interest before a player starts demanding a move, it's as if the player is demanding that the manager made the effort to generate interest in him. Secondly there should be some coherent flow to the discussion with some actual conclusion that goes beyond the player reacted well/player unhappy variation. What would make sense in the above case is a scenario like this:

1) bigger clubs show interest in a player/agent is actively trying to find buyers;

2) player comes to you and asks for a move. You tell him that you want to match his ambition, he says he can't wait that long. You say 'ok, I understand that, but you're a big part of the team that season and I can't let you go right now. How about you sign a contract extension so your market value is retained and we'll allow you to move on at the end of the season.';

3) player agrees and plays out the season with no lingering morale damaging unhappiness tags, or he refuses and sulks. Either is fine as long as it's consistent;

4) at the end of the year you then have to sell him to any bidders (and there would actually have to be any, it's not a manager's job to find players new clubs) or he'll be stuck at abysmal morale and unwilling to work with you on any terms.

He was on a free. £1m was the best I could get for him despite his £6.25m value :D FM14 for you.

My plan was to have him battle it out with Rafael for a season before deciding on my long term no.1, he decided it himself though by constant moaning.

I think the whole "I feel our relationship has broken down so won't even hear what you've got to say" thing is a bit stupid.

We the player have literally nothing we can do or say to even attempt to rectify the situation. It's unrealistic. It's the equivalent of the players locking all his doors ignoring all your calls. We don't even have the option to shout through their letter box "But I'll give you a pay rise if you'll only LISTEN!!"....

I've had this kind of thing so often that it drives me to despair. I generally play lower leagues but it still happens, if the player is someone I can maybe do without I sometimesterminate their contract immediately and watch smugly as they waste away for six months until they retire but I realise you wouldn't do that with top players. My life would be considerably easier with an option in the conversation saying "I offered you to clubs for nothing and they still didn't want you."

The "i feel our relationship has broken blaa blaa" thing is annoying, but you can get over it.

If you give the player some game time, praise in press if you have the opportunity, praise in team talks if he plays well etc. he will start to talk to you again.

I have actually managed to get player from that status in to having me as favorite personnel, not easy, but possible :D

Only have this problem once I stockpile too many players, but most of the time I just tell them they'll get playing time and play them in less important games. If you can't even spare them a game then you should expect them to hate you.

The goalkeepers thing has to be glitch though.

It's this kind of thing that has made me start playing FMC. The whole human interaction thing is a laudable idea, but without top-class AI behind it and a much better interface to the interactions than a few multiple -choice menus it is just dull, repetitive and ultimately a complete waste of the players time. Game mechanics, tactics and finances are all well suited to a computer model. Unfortunately face to face human interaction simply isn't.

Archived