Ajax – When The Real World Meets Football Manager FM14

It takes a bit sometimes, and by that I mean even after they've been tutored. Re-tutoring can speed up the process, but not always straight away either, in my experience. I tutored Kenny Tete twice and his determination went up initially during the first tutoring, but never increased during the 2nd tutoring, and his personality only became resolute a few months after the 2nd tutoring. So just be patient. :)

Thanks mate and Cleon too :thup:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clon how hard it is/was for you to sign good training coaches when you are a weaker team, maybe even with Ajax? How do you do when almost all the coaches with reasonable attributes dont want to join you? I'm doing an Ajax save and i find it very hard and the ones i will sign will probably only reach 3 stars at maximum.

Clon how hard it is/was for you to sign good training coaches when you are a weaker team, maybe even with Ajax? How do you do when almost all the coaches with reasonable attributes dont want to join you? I'm doing an Ajax save and i find it very hard and the ones i will sign will probably only reach 3 stars at maximum.

I tend to look at old players or those retiring and see what coach attributes they have. I never struggle to get 4.5 stars for all though. 5 stars is hard though.

just a quick question, ive not seen it mentioned so far

how do you handle players that need a boost/rotation for abilities that cant be training specifically?

ive an 18 yr old midfielder with good numbers in passing , touch, tech etc but single figures for creativity and decisions

the only options ive come up with i dont fancy. i could use high tactics team training but that would affect everyone and i dont really want to use role training because im happy with his level in most abilities and dont want to stretch his pa too thin on abilities im not worried about

just a quick question, ive not seen it mentioned so far

how do you handle players that need a boost/rotation for abilities that cant be training specifically?

ive an 18 yr old midfielder with good numbers in passing , touch, tech etc but single figures for creativity and decisions

the only options ive come up with i dont fancy. i could use high tactics team training but that would affect everyone and i dont really want to use role training because im happy with his level in most abilities and dont want to stretch his pa too thin on abilities im not worried about

There is nothing you can do if you don't want to role train. You'll just have to hope they raise with age and over time. If they are young enough they'll raise but by how many depends and varies player to player.

Depending on the position he is playing for you creativity might not be important anyway.

Cleon thats a really good way, the problem is that only a very few old players have staff attributes, and the ones who have it, are really weak. I've also tried the "good old" players but practically all of them only have player attribute.

Do you search them in a specific way? Or just go to player search and look for the older ones? I guess it also is a matter of luck to find players with coach attributes AND with good ones.

Cleon thats a really good way, the problem is that only a very few old players have staff attributes, and the ones who have it, are really weak. I've also tried the "good old" players but practically all of them only have player attribute.

Do you search them in a specific way? Or just go to player search and look for the older ones?

I just search them manually, no special way or anything. Remember if a coach is young though they can see a massive improvement on attributes if you send them on courses.

Looking at Cirigliano and Praet, their personalities don't seem to indicate a good level of Professionalism and, if you been teaching them PPM's, then 57% of their individual training time has been spent on the PPM and not on the attribute. So I see 3 big factors:

1) average personalities

2) splitting the individual focus time 43/57

3) Low intensity team training. I prefer average, especially if you're gonna be teaching PPM's. the point of low intensity is to focus on the individual attributes, but you've negated that by teaching the PPM's, so the rest of their attributes haven't developed either because they've been on low training.

Hope all that makes sense, since I'm typing on my phone.

Looking at Cirigliano and Praet, their personalities don't seem to indicate a good level of Professionalism and, if you been teaching them PPM's, then 57% of their individual training time has been spent on the PPM and not on the attribute. So I see 3 big factors:

1) average personalities

2) splitting the individual focus time 43/57

3) Low intensity team training. I prefer average, especially if you're gonna be teaching PPM's. the point of low intensity is to focus on the individual attributes, but you've negated that by teaching the PPM's, so the rest of their attributes haven't developed either because they've been on low training.

Hope all that makes sense, since I'm typing on my phone.

Yap it could be that. Thanks

As I focus on pure player development for me match training isn't important. So for me its set on 10% throughout the season once tactic familiarity levels are all fluid. Now due to me trying to develop the player best I can everyone at the club is either learning a specific attribute or a specific role. This means that the general training is set to a low intensity alowing me to focus just on development with an heavy individual focus. If I wanted a more generic player instead of a specific bunch of players then I'd set general training to a high intensity and no individual training. This would mean development is spread evenly across all aspects rather than you shaping them into specific players.

So you keep your team training on general always? I was thinking of an ajax save, but i was thinking of using the team training in another way. 3 months ball control, 3 months attacking and 4 months tactics. Trying to mould them to be comfortable in possession. Any thoughts on that?

So you keep your team training on general always? I was thinking of an ajax save, but i was thinking of using the team training in another way. 3 months ball control, 3 months attacking and 4 months tactics. Trying to mould them to be comfortable in possession. Any thoughts on that?

The fault with that approach is some players don't need to focus on those attributes as much as others because they are already high in those. So when this happens you actually waste a lot of training which could have been spent elsewhere making the player better. Not everyone needs the same amount of focus on certain attributes.

My favorite part of developing youngsters is when you give them first team football and they perform brilliantly :cool:

Gets me so excited hoping they reach their potential and hopefully surpass their initially percieved potential :D

I've got a winger who has 1.5 star potential; nowhere near good enough to be in my first team. But I decided to give him some first team football since he was performing well in the reserves. He's got 2 in 2 :cool:

My favorite part of developing youngsters is when you give them first team football and they perform brilliantly :cool:

Gets me so excited hoping they reach their potential and hopefully surpass their initially percieved potential :D

I've got a winger who has 1.5 star potential; nowhere near good enough to be in my first team. But I decided to give him some first team football since he was performing well in the reserves. He's got 2 in 2 :cool:

I've actually just done an article about this over the weekend up on my blog

http://thechalkboarddiaries.com/?p=844

Guest Satchy

For some reason I couldn't login to post a comment at your blog, but in any case that's an interesting revelation in looking at your Italian player. For one, you've developed him quite well really. His finishing is imo, surprisingly low, but obviously he still puts the goals home. I tend to get attached to my first good youth prospect. In my case I have a 4.5 star potential striker that came through the ranks at Ajax in my first year. I'll keep him on until he retires no doubt. :cool:

Great article btw.

I always get attached to my regens; I want all of them to succeed whether or not they make it at my club.

I think, in all my time playing FM, there are 2 players I got attached to more than any others.

The first was a RB who came through my academy. Initially he was nothing special; wasn't rated by any of my coaching staff. I had him tutored but he never got any first team football as his reserve/youth performances were average. I decided to loan him out for a few seasons. 3rd season he was loaned out, he suddenly became a monster; he averaged over an 8.0 that season. He came back to my club and was immediately pushing for the starting RB job. He continued to perform excellently and made it into the England squad soon after. He went from being a nobody to one of the best right backs in the world seemingly against all odds. And the best part is I didn't see it coming.

The other lad, wasn't even at my club. He was playing for Bury in League 1 (or 2 can't remember) when I was the England U19 boss. Was looking at all the young strikers when he popped up; the lad had scored almost 80 goals for Bury in the last 2 years. I called him up and he scored minutes into his U19 debut. When I became the manager of the senior team, for whatever reason, I called him up again. When I gave him the U19 opportunity, he took it. I wanted to see if he'd make the most of this one. And he did. He scored and scored often. In fact he was so good, I took him to the world cup. And he kept scoring. He ended up the 3rd top scorer at the world cup and even scored the goal that sent us into the final. And all this time, he was a Bury player :D

My biggest regret to this day is not signing him to my club. It honestly saddens me to this day.

Funny thing is I just got done playing FM. Played a few matches but the last one was by far the most exciting. Why? I beat Celtic in the champions league at home 1-0 with a squad that included a good amount of my top youth prospects ages 16 to 19. Had already qualified for the knockout stage so I decided to give the kids some first team experience. I'm still smiling :D

the very same thing often mean that I set myself a challenge to win using certain players, and in part its one of the things that make it very difficult for me to play the game using any other team then Athletic since transfer windows take ages when you ponder over emotional attachment vs this pretty decent player you could sign on a free transfer that is probably way better then the current option

Great thread this. Inspired me to have more faith in my youth team as well. Been using some of the methods in the thread on other youngsters I'd signed from other clubs for half a season and now starting to give my youth team members a few games. A striker I have called Anthony Hodges scored on his debut and became the youngest scorer in Spurs' history in the process :cool:http://i.imgur.com/TXBqhv7.jpg

His composure was 9 before I worked on it for 2 months, working on his strength atm and will probably work on his heading next. Will try and provide an update on him and a few other players at the end of this/next season :thup:

Here he is, a year and a half later http://i.imgur.com/9Ou5exG.jpg

Composure the most pleasing increase. I've been training that, plus his heading and strength on a cycle. He plays as an advanced forward so I'll be training his heading and crossing to begin with next season, as well as finishing and composure. Some definite improvements and hopefully he'll get even better.

Here he is, a year and a half later http://i.imgur.com/9Ou5exG.jpg

Composure the most pleasing increase. I've been training that, plus his heading and strength on a cycle. He plays as an advanced forward so I'll be training his heading and crossing to begin with next season, as well as finishing and composure. Some definite improvements and hopefully he'll get even better.

Some nice steady progress there :thup:

Hey there, is there a way to increase a player's Aggression and Bravery? The reason I ask is because on my save it is very hard to find new players with good numbers on those attributes, you can find them separately, but it is rare that a regen will have both. I used FM Genie Scout to check and at the beginning of a new save, it found 1233 players with at least 15 for both Aggression and Bravery, but on my current save, November 2021, it finds 571 players, the majority being older players that have yet to retire.

I know that you can reduce Aggression by issuing fines for violent behavior, but is it possible to increase those attributes? I want more players like Gattuso, Puyol or Vidal, but I can't seem to find any.

Hey there, is there a way to increase a player's Aggression and Bravery? The reason I ask is because on my save it is very hard to find new players with good numbers on those attributes, you can find them separately, but it is rare that a regen will have both. I used FM Genie Scout to check and at the beginning of a new save, it found 1233 players with at least 15 for both Aggression and Bravery, but on my current save, November 2021, it finds 571 players, the majority being older players that have yet to retire.

I know that you can reduce Aggression by issuing fines for violent behavior, but is it possible to increase those attributes? I want more players like Gattuso, Puyol or Vidal, but I can't seem to find any.

No you can't make it rise through training it happens with age.

Well just wow. It has taken me a week but I have finally come to the end of this thread and wanted to say a massive thanks to all those who have contributed.

I have played FM for years like the majority of people but had found it daunting recently due to the size and my ability to play in short bursts only. Having read this thread I have blasted through an opening season trying to apply the principles to Wolves with some promising results. I have managed to steal a 15 year old striker from Blackburn for just 500k and he starts for England U19s already. The only issue is his 'Argues with officials' ppm but at just 15 I am going to work on his personality to try and unlearn it.

In short, thanks to Cleon and all, you have single handedly reinvigorated my love for FM!

Well just wow. It has taken me a week but I have finally come to the end of this thread and wanted to say a massive thanks to all those who have contributed.

I have played FM for years like the majority of people but had found it daunting recently due to the size and my ability to play in short bursts only. Having read this thread I have blasted through an opening season trying to apply the principles to Wolves with some promising results. I have managed to steal a 15 year old striker from Blackburn for just 500k and he starts for England U19s already. The only issue is his 'Argues with officials' ppm but at just 15 I am going to work on his personality to try and unlearn it.

In short, thanks to Cleon and all, you have single handedly reinvigorated my love for FM!

I remember when I first started to really play FM, I used to try and rush through seasons and such because I wanted to one of those guys who gets through 20, 30 seasons in a short amount of time. Needless to say that method was not a lot of fun. I stopped caring about how long or how quickly I played and found things I enjoyed a lot in developing tactics and youngsters. Since then, I've put in an incredible amount of time into this game. I don't breeze through it and I'm having a ton of fun.

Heck just last night I had a 17 yr old AM make his 2nd first team appearance for me. He grabbed 2 goals against Spurs as a sub. Went to bed happy last night :D

Heck just last night I had a 17 yr old AM make his 2nd first team appearance for me. He grabbed 2 goals against Spurs as a sub. Went to bed happy last night :D

Exact same thing happened to me last night too, still at Sparta Prague, my young 17 year old Jaroslav Gajdos was given a chance on the bench for an easy cup game, he came on after 60mins and bagged a brace!! Then happily off to bed I went. Woke up this morning and cracked my first twin too!! After 30 years of cooking eggs i had a double yolk! Maybe tonight I will score another twin :)

Regarding General Training, anyone else find that setting it to Low and Individual to high results in only Medium Workload and some players are unhappy with that?

I have to set General Training to average and Individual to high to keep the happy or content.

Also if Match Training is set to too low, it disappears from the calendar entirely? I used to set it manually, attacking movement as default but against teams strong at set piece i have it set to defensive set pieces. So now I end up moving it 2 pips lower, just enough to have the option to pick the focus before the game but will this effect individual focus negatively?

Regarding General Training, anyone else find that setting it to Low and Individual to high results in only Medium Workload and some players are unhappy with that?

I have to set General Training to average and Individual to high to keep the happy or content.

Also if Match Training is set to too low, it disappears from the calendar entirely? I used to set it manually, attacking movement as default but against teams strong at set piece i have it set to defensive set pieces. So now I end up moving it 2 pips lower, just enough to have the option to pick the focus before the game but will this effect individual focus negatively?

Yeah this has been covered about 300 times in the thread so far...

Ignore the complaints it just means you have a team who have professionalism. If you give in to them and change the general training then you take away from their development and increase the risk of injuries.

ah ok i misunderstood the complains to be due to too heavy workload and thought I had an opposite situtation.

as for the match training, setting it to 10% will not let you train a different focus for different matches, I assume this is the intended trade off?

Edit: And also if I want to add preferred moves training, with General on Low, it is advisable to reduce the Individual Focus intensity from Heavy to Average to maintain workload at Medium?

Also is there any kind of hard cap on attribute growth? I notice I can't seem to get Varane's acceleration above 12 even with focus on quickness. All his othis other attributes, from technical, mental to physical are moving up even those I did not focus on but acceleration shows no change. Same issue with Phil Jone's jumping, its just stuck at 12.

ah ok i misunderstood the complains to be due to too heavy workload and thought I had an opposite situtation.

as for the match training, setting it to 10% will not let you train a different focus for different matches, I assume this is the intended trade off?

Edit: And also if I want to add preferred moves training, with General on Low, it is advisable to reduce the Individual Focus intensity from Heavy to Average to maintain workload at Medium?

I don't use match training. The boost it gives you for the next game isn't worth it long term. I'm confident my tactic works from the off so don't really need match training for the every so slightly little boost it offers.

When learning a PPM just keep it the same it shouldn't make a difference :)

thanks. what about the other question on attribute hard cap? I added it later

-> Also is there any kind of hard cap on attribute growth? I notice I can't seem to get Varane's acceleration above 12 even with focus on quickness. All his othis other attributes, from technical, mental to physical are moving up even those I did not focus on but acceleration shows no change. Same issue with Phil Jone's jumping, its just stuck at 12.

I think I might have another look at my tactics, I find I concede alot of set pieces if I do not occasionally set a focus on def set piece.

thanks. what about the other question on attribute hard cap? I added it later

-> Also is there any kind of hard cap on attribute growth? I notice I can't seem to get Varane's acceleration above 12 even with focus on quickness. All his othis other attributes, from technical, mental to physical are moving up even those I did not focus on but acceleration shows no change. Same issue with Phil Jone's jumping, its just stuck at 12.

I think I might have another look at my tactics, I find I concede alot of set pieces if I do not occasionally set a focus on def set piece.

Jumping is capped by a players height. So someone small will never be able to get 20 in jumping. The taller the player the higher the attribute can rise.

As for the others you mentioned it can take time and depends how much developing he has left to do. If he is close to full potential then it'll become a lot harder to see it rise. The higher the stat the more CA it costs to learn it too.

I'm mid way into the 3rd season so Varane and Phil Jones are close to fully potential, I suppose the Phil Jones case might be height, but I believe there are players shorter than 180cm with jumping higher than 12. The strange thing is, I never focus on his on his acc/pace, str/sta/natural fitness yet they all go up faster and much more than those I focus on - Jumping, Marking, Heading.

On your point regarding the high the stat the more CA it cost, would it be better not to training any attribute above 18 since the different between 18-20 in one attribute does not make a hugh difference? I mean a striker with finishing, technique, anticipation, composure, decision at all 18 is better than one with say 20/14/14/14/14 (assuming i get the CA distribution correct)?

I'm mid way into the 3rd season so Varane and Phil Jones are close to fully potential, I suppose the Phil Jones case might be height, but I believe there are players shorter than 180cm with jumping higher than 12. The strange thing is, I never focus on his on his acc/pace, str/sta/natural fitness yet they all go up faster and much more than those I focus on - Jumping, Marking, Heading.

On your point regarding the high the stat the more CA it cost, would it be better not to training any attribute above 18 since the different between 18-20 in one attribute does not make a hugh difference? I mean a striker with finishing, technique, anticipation, composure, decision at all 18 is better than one with say 20/14/14/14/14 (assuming i get the CA distribution correct)?

It totally depends. If he is very close to full PA then any attribute change will come at the expense of others. For example someone at full PA if he then goes from 19-20 in an attribute the extra 1 comes from somewhere else off his attributes so you'd see a decline in those attributes to make the other rise.

As for if you should train them if you are close to potential then yeah you should because by the time someone is near full potential (if you've had them a few seasons or since the beginning) then you'd have developed them to be the player you wanted them to become already I would assume?

So what do you do with players who are at full potential and already have the attribute distribution that you already want? I assume in this case it will not be good to for there to be a redistribution of stats you cant control? I suppose with General Training set to low, the only option will be to pick very broad based roles like Complete Forward, BBM to focus on?

Regarding Training, what I meant was if I train a regen to 20 Finishing & Composure, would it restrict how high I can get his other stats up (Anticipation, Technique, Decision, Flair) since it would take up alot of CA? Would it end up in a situation whereby with Finishing and composure at 20, I can only get the rest of the stats up to say only 15 due to his CA being used up?

In such a scenario, I assume it would be better to just training the same Regen's Finishing and Composure to 18, leaving more CA to get Anticipation, Technique, Decision and Flair up to say 17?

So what do you do with players who are at full potential and already have the attribute distribution that you already want? I assume in this case it will not be good to for there to be a redistribution of stats you cant control? I suppose with General Training set to low, the only option will be to pick very broad based roles like Complete Forward, BBM to focus on?

Pretty much yeah. It's all about maintaining the attributes he has.

Regarding Training, what I meant was if I train a regen to 20 Finishing & Composure, would it restrict how high I can get his other stats up (Anticipation, Technique, Decision, Flair) since it would take up alot of CA? Would it end up in a situation whereby with Finishing and composure at 20, I can only get the rest of the stats up to say only 15 due to his CA being used up?

Of course it does. But there are no guarantees that you'd ever get those stats much higher anyway. The more higher attributes the more CA they cost to reach the next one so it always comes at the cost of other attributes in a round about way anyway. You can't really avoid this situation though and it's always been the same on FM.

In such a scenario, I assume it would be better to just training the same Regen's Finishing and Composure to 18, leaving more CA to get Anticipation, Technique, Decision and Flair up to say 17?

I think you're taking what I say out of context and trying to beat the system. You've no guarantee that he'd stay at 18 composure and never get higher.

What you should be doing is concentrating on developing the player the best you can for the role he plays for the club. When you think about things this way then you'll start to build players for specific roles and this will ensure you get them high in the attributes they require for the role they'll play.

haha yea, sort of trying to beat the system here.

I guess another way to look at it is that I want more well rounded players, and they way to do so if to not spread their development across more attributes more evenly.

haha yea, sort of trying to beat the system here.

I guess another way to look at it is that I want more well rounded players, and they way to do so if to not spread their development across more attributes more evenly.

If you want well rounded players then you shouldn't use individual focus and show focus on more generic development and focus on high team training etc.

Why wouldn't you want players who are excellent at their role though compared to players who are average at everything and not good at anything?

It might be tactics or preference I suppose, lets say you have a choice between 2 types of players - with everything else more or less equal, which would you pick? I find that the first option generally turns out better for me

Striker

Finishing 17, Composure 17, Anticipation 17, Technique 17, Decision 17, Flair 17

Finishing 20, Composure 14, Anticipation 14, Technique 14, Decision 14, Flair 20

Mid (Attacking)

Passing 17, Technique 17, First Touch 17, Dribbling, 17, Creativity 17, Flair 17, Anticipation 17, Acceleration 17, Agility 17, Finishing 17, Composure 17

Passing 20, Technique 14, First Touch 14, Dribbling, 14, Creativity 14, Flair 20, Anticipation 14, Acceleration 20, Agility 14, Finishing 14, Composure 14

Defender

Tackling 17, Marking 17, Jumping 17, Heading 17, Anticipation 17, Positioning 17 , Decision 17, Concentration 17 , Composure 17

Tackling 19, Marking 14, Jumping 14, Heading 19, Anticipation 14, Positioning 19 , Decision 14, Concentration 19 , Composure 14

It might be tactics or preference I suppose, lets say you have a choice between 2 types of players - with everything else more or less equal, which would you pick? I find that the first option generally turns out better for me

Striker

Finishing 17, Composure 17, Anticipation 17, Technique 17, Decision 17, Flair 17

Finishing 20, Composure 14, Anticipation 14, Technique 14, Decision 14, Flair 20

Mid (Attacking)

Passing 17, Technique 17, First Touch 17, Dribbling, 17, Creativity 17, Flair 17, Anticipation 17, Acceleration 17, Agility 17, Finishing 17, Composure 17

Passing 20, Technique 14, First Touch 14, Dribbling, 14, Creativity 14, Flair 20, Anticipation 14, Acceleration 20, Agility 14, Finishing 14, Composure 14

Defender

Tackling 17, Marking 17, Jumping 17, Heading 17, Anticipation 17, Positioning 17 , Decision 17, Concentration 17 , Composure 17

Tackling 19, Marking 14, Jumping 14, Heading 19, Anticipation 14, Positioning 19 , Decision 14, Concentration 19 , Composure 14

Id pick the one who was most suited to what I require the player to do. In your examples the first one wouldn't always be the best option for me.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/356435-Meet-The-Inside-Forward-Alan-Spencer

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/355439-The-Yorkshireman-A-Libero-and-No-Strikers! (post 2 in this thread)

Those give a better insight into what I require from players.

Looks like it mostly due to tactics then. To play the way I want, I need to train my newgens in the mould of the first option

I play a 4-2 (MC)-3 (all AMC) -1, where I can get maintain 60-75% possession, 85-92% pass completion, even in away high profile matches. I custom set everything with sliders

I need my

CB to win aerial battles, keep the ball and cover space due to a high D-Line

FB to nullify wingers and inside forwards, join attacks later and provide width (this is done when my AMCs pass back to CM due to lack of options in front and CM passes out to FB)

CM to win the ball on the air and at feet and distribute often under pressure

AMCs to run at defence and score, to pick out passes, score from outside the box, finish at far post, knock in rebounds

FC to run at defence dragging them out of position and score or layoff the ball for the AMC, or get to byline and pull back

Now midway through Season 3 I'll not be signing anymore established players and will focus on developing the youth prospects and moving on the current First Team

They players I have now are

GK - David De Gea, Ibrahim Sy, Regen

DL - David Alaba, Luke Shaw

DR - Danilo, Mattia Di Sciglio

DC - Raphael Varane, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Nicholas Ioannou, Davide Rugani (On Loan), Regen

MC - Sandro, Romolu, Lorenzo Cristig, Leon Goretzka, Regen

AMC - Jack Wilshire, Will Hughes

AMCR - Mario Goetze, Mateo Kovacevic, Alen Halilovic

AMCL - Erik Lamela, Adnan Januzaj, Regen

FC - Neymar, Yassine Benzia

Cheers, just wait until you actually see the TIPS in action and see the kind of player progression I've had come season 4 :)

Been looking around in your blog and in this thread, but i can find "your TIPS" in action? Would be really interesting seeing how you interpret and use it in game?

Cheers!

Been looking around in your blog and in this thread, but i can find "your TIPS" in action? Would be really interesting seeing how you interpret and use it in game?

Cheers!

The examples should be visible in the player development screenshots in the thread and over at the blog :)

Cleon, is the a max number of youth players you choose to develop at one time? And as for those with 4-5 star potential, is there a minimum number of games you try to give them per season?

I'm kind of overloaded with potential players and I'm concerned if I spread the game time out evenly, each player might only get 5 games or so a season and I end up with a whole bunch of players with unrealised potential. Would in be better in this case to just get rid of maybe half of the players below (sale or loan) so the other half gets more game time?

These are the players I'm talking about

http://postimg.org/gallery/4kecz9fs/

Cleon, is the a max number of youth players you choose to develop at one time? And as for those with 4-5 star potential, is there a minimum number of games you try to give them per season?

You can develop as many as you can fit into the squads. I'm sure there is a limit but I've never reached it as I only develop a certain amount of players as I don't see the need to try and train lots of players as I will never be able to play them all.

The number of games a player needs depends and varies player to player. I just try and give all cameo roles and sub appearances whenever I can.

I'm kind of overloaded with potential players and I'm concerned if I spread the game time out evenly, each player might only get 5 games or so a season and I end up with a whole bunch of players with unrealised potential. Would in be better in this case to just get rid of maybe half of the players below (sale or loan) so the other half gets more game time?

If you are struggling to play them all then it normally means you have too many players.

Let me introduce you to Andy Neal.

4itf.png

As you can see I'm still playing FM2010 and as you can see, this lad has quite a good run in the first team for me. Frankly, I want this lad to succeed so I need him to improve his mental attributes big time :D

Hopefully he does as I've now got his personality to a favorable one so all this first team appearances should have a decent effect now.

Here's to hoping.

I've been following the recommendations for a season and a half now and so far the results have been mostly spectacular. Wish I gone through this thread earlier.

Some questions though - is there anyway to increase a goalkeeper's anticipation? I got this guy from my youth intakes, just turned 18 at the start of his 3rd full year nowand while all other stats have skyrocketed, anticipation when up only 1 point. He played about 12 games in his 2nd season, 12 games so far in the 3rd season as at JJan, average ratings just above 7.

2013_08_12_00002.jpg

2013_08_12_00006.jpg

Also is the progression bar in the reports tab a reliable guide for development? I noticed all the green arrows disappearing once the bar is filled out. If so I assume I can stop playing them and give the opportunities to my oh too many other wonderkids?

2013_08_12_00001.jpg

2013_08_12_00003.jpg

2013_08_12_00004.jpg

Another thing is, is it worth developing players who are injury prone given how certain injuries can permanently ruin physical stats. Had a bad case with Nicholas Ioannou, he was looking like the next Nesta before a series of injury ruined his physical stats in very bad shape. Don't have the screenshots with me now, he is still a good player with very good mental and decent technical stats but unlikely to be world class now and it make me doubt if I should develop this other guy I have from my youth intake.

2013_08_12_00008.jpg

2013_08_12_00009.jpg

Finally, when it comes to playing the youngsters, how important is it that they get above 7 ratings versus games under their belt? As I am leading the league by 20 points, I was thinking about playing a whole XI of wonderkids once the title is wrapped up. I imagine that will throw some games and would it be counter productive to the youngsters' development?

Let me introduce you to Andy Neal.

4itf.png

As you can see I'm still playing FM2010 and as you can see, this lad has quite a good run in the first team for me. Frankly, I want this lad to succeed so I need him to improve his mental attributes big time :D

Hopefully he does as I've now got his personality to a favorable one so all this first team appearances should have a decent effect now.

Here's to hoping.

Not a bad player he will become very good if you work on those mentals. I did a thread about training for FM12 which should help you with development on FM10, have you read it?

Some questions though - is there anyway to increase a goalkeeper's anticipation? I got this guy from my youth intakes, just turned 18 at the start of his 3rd full year nowand while all other stats have skyrocketed, anticipation when up only 1 point. He played about 12 games in his 2nd season, 12 games so far in the 3rd season as at JJan, average ratings just above 7.

Anticipation isn't vital for keepers so there isn't really a way to train it.

Also is the progression bar in the reports tab a reliable guide for development? I noticed all the green arrows disappearing once the bar is filled out. If so I assume I can stop playing them and give the opportunities to my oh too many other wonderkids?

No all this bar does is show you how well the player is doing due to the training he's received. A full bar indicates he is doing really well and developing. Green arrows don't stop when the bar is full this must just be a coincidence with the player you've checked.

Another thing is, is it worth developing players who are injury prone given how certain injuries can permanently ruin physical stats. Had a bad case with Nicholas Ioannou, he was looking like the next Nesta before a series of injury ruined his physical stats in very bad shape. Don't have the screenshots with me now, he is still a good player with very good mental and decent technical stats but unlikely to be world class now and it make me doubt if I should develop this other guy I have from my youth intake.

I've got supposedly injury prone players in my squad who hardly get injuries make sense of that if you can :D

They are still worth developing because even injury prone players should be able to develop really good. It's only long term injuries i.e 6 months and longer that cause major issues to player development and see progression slow down or decline.

Finally, when it comes to playing the youngsters, how important is it that they get above 7 ratings versus games under their belt? As I am leading the league by 20 points, I was thinking about playing a whole XI of wonderkids once the title is wrapped up. I imagine that will throw some games and would it be counter productive to the youngsters' development?

Ratings don't matter as much as people would have you believe.

Archived