50 Shades of Seattle Grace

deadfncat

iuSrTJs.png

Grays Athletic

This year I am looking at doing the dafuge challenge again, but keeping the save going and morphing it into a Big Club, Small Nation challenge once I win the EPL/CL etc.

Hypanimz and I were looking at making this a separate challenge but he got a nationalistic tear in his eye and wanted to know what taking England to the WC would feel like.

I can tell him that next season, they will probably lose in the round of 16 on pens.....hopefully to Australia...

So, just like his thread, this will be done in stages.

Stage 1

Playing the dafuge challenge with the sames rules set by the challenge. The only DB difference is that I have loaded Brunei an extra nation and added my nationality as Bruneian.

This should have no effect on the outcome or difficulty of the challenge itself. If anyone wants to contest this, please explain how it does. Thanks : )

Stage 2

Once having completed the dafuge challenge by winning the CL and the EPL, I will take up the reigns of the Brunei national team, whilst still managing my hospital...umm I mean team.

The Brunei team by then, will hopefully be a bit better due to regens spawned at Grays Athletic with Brunei Nationality over the years and we will see what we can win from there.

I shall be using a 3-5-2 Tactic with defensive wingers and an anchor man which looks something like this. Tactics as always are in a state of flux though.

0eZILOK.png?1

Profile | Club Info | Facilities

Career Overview

Season       Team                       Country                  League                 League Finish             Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014/15       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill South       18th                 
2015/16       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill South        2nd 
2016/17       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill Premier     20th    
2017/18       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill Premier     20th                        FA Trophy Finalist
2018/19       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill Premier     18th                        FA Trophy Semi-Finalist
2019/20       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill Premier     19th                                    
2020/21       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill Premier      5th                         Promoted!/FA Trophy Win
2021/22       Grays Athletic               England                Sky Bet League 2   22nd 

[/center]

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bhV9EHb.png

Grays Athletic

2014-1015 Mid season report

League

So we started the season with six players. They are all gone....

The team is a total rebuild by me and its going ok so far. Currently sitting just ouside the drop zone, we are getting along ok. We score a decent amount of goals, but let so many in that its a real struggle.

I went down to a local athletic meet and signed the fastest kid I could find. His resume says he has played before, but I doubt it. Look at those mental stats! He would be the best player in the league if he used his noggin. He has an insane amount of 1 on 1s with a keeper and gives it right away.

We did well in the cups and look to make a decent profit this season which is suprising.

Also Norwich are currently sitting in 4th place in the EPL. They have spent a lot of time in first position so far this season and a recent loss to spurs put them 1 point behind the lead :(

bhV9EHb.png

Grays Athletic - Skrill South - 2014/15 - Eighteenth

Decent season. We had to build the squad from the ground up and sack all the old men they had playing before. The captain last season was a 41 year old DL.

I think we built a decent squad which started out with some great supporting staff, which really helped me out.

We are still lacking a bit in defence and Conroy's days between the sticks are numbered, but we are well on our way.

We did ok during the season. Congestion was an issue during the cup runs, but we got lucky with no postponed games at all.

Next season will be interesting to see how we bounce back.

Also side note, FM14 is really kicking butt so far. There are heaps of nice little features which really suprise me and make me like this game so much more.

League Table

Games

Notable games

Losing 1-7 to Salisbury. It was 0-6 on 26 minutes.

The 5-2 win over Staines late in the season was nice too. The team really started to click

Finances -For the first time doing this challenge, in the black after the first season. MADNESS!

FA Cup - We got pretty lucky and faced easy teams until the first round. There we hit League 2 Cheltenham and after going down 0-3 early, we showed some real fight to them

FA Trophy - Every year without fail, I seem to cop an FA trophy game against a shocking team and it always goes to a replay. Luckily we won this won and even beat Skrill Premier side Welling. Lost in a poor game to Dorchester.

Squad - Really Shaky squad at the start of the season, but some nifty loans and a few key pickups turned it around. We can score goals, but there is no way we can keep them out of our own net. Will be rebuilding the defence and hiring two proper defensive wingers next season.

Key Player Profiles

Jordan "Hatrick" Patrick - So one night early in the season after struggling yet again for goals in a game, I had downed a bottle of whiskey and had a brilliant idea! Lets go down to the local Athletics meet and sign up the fastest kid there. I did just that, forged his resume to make it seem like he had played football before and we were set. He didn't realise that the ball was supposed to go in the net or which way to run, but that boy could run! He scored a heap of goals this season, but the amount of times I saw him one on one a keeper and kick it straight into his arms. ARGHGHGHGHG

Brendan Cowell - Late season pickup who scored some vital goals toward the end of the season. Should partner well with hatrick Patrick.

Player of the Season

Dan Sintim - Quality defender I picked up from Met Police. He is the best of a bad bunch though really.

Youth Players

Pretty weak and no Brunei

Simon Kennedy - Best of a bad bunch. Shows promise though.

Career Overview

Season       Team                       Country                  League                 League Finish             Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014/15       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill South       18th                 

Next Season

Rebuild defence

Sign two defensive wingers who have talent

Develop Hatrick to put the ball in the net

Top half finish

Facility News

Nothing to tell. Can't afford anything and out facilities atm are terrible. They are selling Cornettos at the chip shop down the street now though.

Major Competition Winners

Skrill South - Eastleigh, Salisbury

FA Cup - Man Utd.

FA Trophy - Ebbsfleet

English Premier League - Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham, Man City, Liverpool. Norwich *8th

Championship - Watford, Bournemouth, Blackburn

Champions League - FC Bayern

Euro - Tottenham

Hyundai A-League - Adelaide/Brisbane

Skrillex South Playoff Watch 2016

Semi Final - Leg 1

After seeing Boreham Wood secure the title in the last week, the four playoff contenders are Woking, Wealdstone, Dover and Over-achievers Grays Athletic.

With all four teams sitting in first place for a time this season, they all have the quality to go up.

Wealdstone travel to Dover in our first matchup. Wealdstone held the lead on the competition for most of the season, only losing it to Grays for a few months. They are highly favoured going into this game, even as the away team.

Grays Athletic have come a long way from a promoted team who could barely keep their head above water last season. They travel to Woking this week for the first leg of what will be an entertaining round. Grays broke records earlier this season when they smashed Woking 9-0 at home, which was made even more shocking by the fact that Woking were sitting in first place at the time. Woking have done well this season, but after losing three times to Grays this season I can see them going down early in this game.

Grays v Woking

Daniel Talbot got Grays off to an early start with a sneaky goal, showing up the Woking defence which has been poor all season. Ashley Goldberg rounded off a great team effort early before the half to make it two.

A second half brace from pacey Jordan "Hatrick" Patrick rounded out a 4-0 thrashing which puts Grays in a great position heading into the second leg. Their quality footwork was matched only by the poor defence shown by the Woking side

Grays v Woking

Second Leg

After a week of public scrutiny, the Woking side stood up this weekend and came out firing.

They scored back on the strong Grays side and only showed weakness with a late goal by Grays sensation Brendan Cowell.

Another goal from Jack Parkinson and a Sweeney OG brought Woking right back into the game and for the last 15 minutes they pushed hard.

However Grays kept them out well and pushed through to take a spot in the playoff final.

bhV9EHb.png

Grays Athletic - Skrill South - 2015/16 - Second [Promoted]

Amazing/Crazy season. Insane start with Sweeney on absolute fire. For a while he was scoring every game.

This was shown well when he scored 3 against Weston Super Mare, scored 1 in our 9-0 Woking win and then scored twice in an FA Cup game the same week.

Middle of the season congestion got to us for a while and the boys forgot how to defend. Luckily we still remembered how to score most weeks and evetually turned it around. We weren't crazy dominant again for the rest of the season and for a period of 10 games, we would lose a game then win one. We scraped through the first playoff round and then took care of Wealdstone easily in the final. BSP for us!

I HATE THE BSP

League Table

Games

Notable games

The 9-0 win over Woking. It is a competitive match record for me in football manager. For it to come over a side we would end up playing in the playoffs, it was pretty crazy.

Finances -We got a bit of a bump in salary this season, but no more bums in seats. This ended up losing us cash and our cup run didn't help us enough. A 75k loan helps us out for now, but the Skrillex Premier needs to get the crowds in.

FA Cup - A pretty easy run. We were unlucky to get no non playable teams, but we did well. Walsall showed class in the 1st round to take us out, but the boys put on a good show any and we really took it to them. Considering at the time, we weren't doing to well in the league, it wasn't too bad a result.

FA Trophy - This old chestnut. I swear I hate the FA Trophy. Non playable side takes us to pens on the replay and we lose badly. UGH

Squad - Really fantastic. Some quality loans gave us depth, but the true stars this season were our attack. Their support from midfield was fantastic as well. Not sure what I will need to do for the next season, but some quality midfielders would be nice.

Key Player Profiles

Dan Sintim - Still our best defender. He was quality and really held the line at the back

Joe Sweeney - Cowell did well too and scored more goals but Sweeney Todd was more consistent. He was a rock playing in the DLP support position. The combo of him and Patrick, were on fire every game and I was sure we would score most weeks.

Player of the Season

Jordan "Hatrick" Patrick - What can I say? Probably one of my better moves in FM recently. His football brain is still non existant, so he may be a non factor as we rise up, but damn that boy is fast.

Youth Players

U18's Position - 1st

Some OK players. Doubt most of them will ever see game time though. Maybe in the FA Trophy matches.

Marc Lamb - Decent striker who came through who has better technical and mental stats than most of my other guys. A bit of training and I should really see some results from him....hopefully.

Career Overview

2015/16       Grays Athletic               England                Skrill South        2nd    

Next Season

Rebuild midfield

Get out of the Skrillex Premier

Make a buck. Get into the black

Facility News

Major Competition Winners

Skrill South - Boreham Wood, Grays

FA Cup - Arsenal

FA Trophy - Luton

English Premier League - Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Tottenham, Norwich *18th (relegated)

Championship - Stoke, Fulham, Hull

Champions League - Man City

Euro - Leverkusen

Hyundai A-League - Victory/CCM

A very nice turnaround from you're first season in charge! What was you're prediction for the season just gone? Blue Square Premier will be difficult, but I say don't change too much and just bring in key players.

Prediction was pretty terrible, but they never get it right :) I have the same core this season and its really tough

I hate the premier. Congestion is insane

Prediction was pretty terrible, but they never get it right :) I have the same core this season and its really tough

I hate the premier. Congestion is insane

I'm also finding it a massive step up. Hope your not struggling as much as I am!

bhV9EHb.png

Grays Athletic

2016-17 Mid season report

League

Ugh

what. is. happening.

Everything is falling apart and all of our decent loans didnt want to sign again after 3 months.

Had to let go of Cowell after I had to sign Marc Lamb or lose him.

Now we just cant score or win goals....EVER. We really need to spin it around if we are going to have any chance or surviving

Only good note is that we are doing well re: finances. That is probably because we aren't allowed to spend anything on salary. still 4200/week

Norwich are mid table in the championship, but made the league cup qtr final

Archived