Clear Cut Chance - The FREE FM Quarterly E-BOOK *OUT NOW*

Downloaded yesterday and read last night. I noticed a few typos (it's kind of what I do) and I had to d/l the pdf version because I couldn't get the .azw3 to work - I just got a load of code on my Kindle - but they're the only gripes and as such they're relatively minor.

For CCC itself, I found the content informative even after playing FM (and CM before it) fairly successfully for years, and the general layout was nice and clean. Good work by all involved. I'm looking forward to the next issue already. :)

Just downloaded it. Looks great and will take a couple of days to read and digest - esp NakS article.

Just a word on first impressions re. design - for the next edition you should include pictures - not just diagrams, but photos also to break up the text. :thup:

I'm not sure in all honesty. The images have to be right and not just random images.

I'm reading it now - the content is truly brilliant. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that appearance-wise, the way forward is to learn from the layout of The Bootroom.

I'm not sure why you and other keep saying that. Bootroom was good but content was a bit all over the place at times with the mix of RL football articles etc and the pictures was really random and didn't fit in with the ebook. I've just had a look at edition 3 and its not brilliant (layout etc) imo with the images as it's all a bit random. I guess everyone has different tastes though. But if people are holding out for us to copy the style/layout of Bootroom then they'll be disappointed as this is not something we will ever be doing. We are our own and we have our ideas we'll be implementing and trying to improve upon rather that copy something we felt was delivered poorly design wise.

I agree a few more images might work but only if they fit in with the articles and just not for the same of using images like the bootroom did. I know this will come across as really bitchy but its not. We want to do our own thing rather than try and copy something we feel wasn't the best layout etc to begin with. We know ours isn't ideal either but we know which direction we are going in and what needs to be done :)

Downloaded yesterday and read last night. I noticed a few typos (it's kind of what I do) and I had to d/l the pdf version because I couldn't get the .azw3 to work - I just got a load of code on my Kindle - but they're the only gripes and as such they're relatively minor.

For CCC itself, I found the content informative even after playing FM (and CM before it) fairly successfully for years, and the general layout was nice and clean. Good work by all involved. I'm looking forward to the next issue already. :)

Thanks mate :)

What typo's did you see? We had 2 English teachers and 5 other people proof read it before hand and make the corrections needed. So if you spot something could you PM please so we know what it was :)

Thanks mate :)

What typo's did you see? We had 2 English teachers and 5 other people proof read it before hand and make the corrections needed. So if you spot something could you PM please so we know what it was :)

Yep, no worries. Added it to the 'To do' list. :)

No worries Cleon - I'm enjoying the emag tremendosly and will look forward to the next one anyway, but here are some thoughts on edition 1

Jed Davies, Matt Neil, Gray Surman - photos of them.

Youtube link to one of Matt Neil's clips that he talks about.

Screenie of Gray's blog

Shot of the Sheffield/Hallam match in the 19thC get-up

couple of FM13 screenies of Simon's Trabzonspor's team in season 1 and season 2 so we can check the attributes of the players

Shrewnaldo and NakS's articles do have illustrations which are very helpful.

That's as far as I've got so far!

No worries Cleon - I'm enjoying the emag tremendosly and will look forward to the next one anyway, but here are some thoughts on edition 1

Jed Davies, Matt Neil, Gray Surman - photos of them.

Youtube link to one of Matt Neil's clips that he talks about.

Screenie of Gray's blog

Shot of the Sheffield/Hallam match in the 19thC get-up

couple of FM13 screenies of Simon's Trabzonspor's team in season 1 and season 2 so we can check the attributes of the players

Shrewnaldo and NakS's articles do have illustrations which are very helpful.

That's as far as I've got so far!

Cheers you raise some good points :)

Some of them did actually have images (not all though) but when we put it all together it just didn't feel right and looked cluttered. We've already begun trying to add more visuals though for the 2nd edition :)

We are currently looking for more contributors for the 2nd edition if anyone is interested? :)

Depending on what you're looking for, I'd love to contribute :)

FM related content, if you've read edition 1 you'll know what kind of things we had, so things similar in terms of quality. Whatever that subject is can be anything aslong as its FM related :)

Maybe you could get a prominent member of the Graphics/Skinning forum to write about the options available to add-on, how much they enhance the game and the workload involved such as organising teams to people to male the facepacks. Then you could do something similar with the Editors' Hideaway, having a top popular creator of new leagues such as English lower leagues, and creator of transfer updates to explain how time-consuming creating those files are. Those suggestions are in addition to the obvious one of taking some of the superb discussions in the Tactics and Traiing forum and summarising/developing them in CCC.

Okay so I have almost finished reading this piece of garbage... just kidding.

All I can say is great work Cleon, absolutely amazing stuff you and your team have put together for this issue. I especially enjoyed the interviews and am looking forward to what else is coming in the next issue as you seem to indicte that those interviews only were the tip of the iceberg. Especially the interview with Jed Davies was great and I hope SI takes something out of what he mentions in regards to tactics and the 4 moments of tactics. I hope that we will see at least the possibility for an attacking and defending formation in some future version of FM, hopefully not too long of a wait.

I also enjoyed NakS topic about the band and zone system a lot and it made me start thinking quite differently on how to deploy my players and what space I want them to occupy.

Oh and Cleon you mentioned that you follow a lot of good blogs about FM is there any chance you could compile a list of links for those blogs because I would really be interested in having something to read while I wait for the next issue of CCC.

But again to everyone involved the absolute utmost respect for such quality work and keep the good stuff coming. I can barely wait for the next issue.

Okay so I have almost finished reading this piece of garbage... just kidding.

All I can say is great work Cleon, absolutely amazing stuff you and your team have put together for this issue. I especially enjoyed the interviews and am looking forward to what else is coming in the next issue as you seem to indicte that those interviews only were the tip of the iceberg. Especially the interview with Jed Davies was great and I hope SI takes something out of what he mentions in regards to tactics and the 4 moments of tactics. I hope that we will see at least the possibility for an attacking and defending formation in some future version of FM, hopefully not too long of a wait.

I also enjoyed NakS topic about the band and zone system a lot and it made me start thinking quite differently on how to deploy my players and what space I want them to occupy.

Oh and Cleon you mentioned that you follow a lot of good blogs about FM is there any chance you could compile a list of links for those blogs because I would really be interested in having something to read while I wait for the next issue of CCC.

But again to everyone involved the absolute utmost respect for such quality work and keep the good stuff coming. I can barely wait for the next issue.

There is a list of blogs I follow on my blog and there is a resources thread at the top of the tactics forum with some in too :)

Everyone says they enjoyed the Jed interview and hope to see something similar in FM :)

I just wanted to say that Simon's take on player vs system was an interesting read, mostly because in my experience FM13.3 favours strong, tall players all over the pitch and direct, attacking football is more efficient than slow possession football.

He talked about how implementing a system and then building a team to suit it (better) might be a more fulfilling and realistic path to go in FM, and I agree that it is because that is what I always do, but his example might not have been such a success story if he instead wanted to implement a possession-based tactic like Barca's.

So yeah, while plug-and-play is gone for sure, the concept that the manager intends to implement in his team must be one that he is sure works once the right players are in place. If he is not so sure that the end result will be world conquest the whole exercise is at least partly futile. Partly, because getting there is half the fun. This is why there are no plug and play tactics anymore, by the way - it is after all the experiences that produced the end result of the uploaded tactic that got the maker there, and without that info those downloading won't have what it takes to get there on their own. The tactic is uploaded when the maker achieved optimum, but it is not necessarily optimal even for the very same club he started testing it with.

I know that my tactic works, and that it will work decently even if the team is not really suitable for it - but will only make a real difference once the right players are in place. But no-one who downloads it will have that same faith (rather scepticism I reckon), and won't know what to look for. The same goes for any other uploaded tactic, or anyone that tries to create a system like the CCC article promotes for that matter. I know exactly what kind of player suits each position - but will someone who creates his own concept know the same? I doubt it - he would lack the faith in the system and thus only reach the conclusion after trial and error, and meanwhile success will in all likelyhood be elusive.

So I think this is why most users suit the tactic to the players to some extent rather than the opposite; it's more about the test of patience that is required to create one's own football philosophy than a lack of desire to play the kind of football you prefer wherever the career takes you.

There is a list of blogs I follow on my blog and there is a resources thread at the top of the tactics forum with some in too :)

Everyone says they enjoyed the Jed interview and hope to see something similar in FM :)

Yeah I hope so. The more people want something like this the more likely it is to happen.

Now off to your blog to find those links.

And thanks again for the great work you are doing here in the forum and in general for the FM community.

P.S. does NakS not have his own blog? I need more NakS stuff. :(

P.P.S. I also felt that part about the video analysts was interesting and was wondering if we will ever see something like that in game. Imo this could become an awesome tool to help people in game find their tactical mistakes, even though I think something like that will be hard to implement into the game due to it's complexity a tool that would help players understand their mistakes better would go a long was of taking out some of the frustration that some players experience with the game. If something goes wrong and you can't put your finger on where your mistakes lie you will get frustrated and think it's the game that's broken but if there were a tool in game, like a video analyst, helping you find these tactical mistakes that could solve a lot of problems for some players.

Yeah I hope so. The more people want something like this the more likely it is to happen.

Now off to your blog to find those links.

And thanks again for the great work you are doing here in the forum and in general for the FM community.

P.S. does NakS not have his own blog? I need more NakS stuff. :(

P.P.S. I also felt that part about the video analysts was interesting and was wondering if we will ever see something like that in game. Imo this could become an awesome tool to help people in game find their tactical mistakes, even though I think something like that will be hard to implement into the game due to it's complexity a tool that would help players understand their mistakes better would go a long was of taking out some of the frustration that some players experience with the game. If something goes wrong and you can't put your finger on where your mistakes lie you will get frustrated and think it's the game that's broken but if there were a tool in game, like a video analyst, helping you find these tactical mistakes that could solve a lot of problems for some players.

Haha, thanks mate. I don't have my own blog unfortunately, surely because I am mainly active in the french community and it could takes time to translated or write again what I've already done. But, I will write for CCC and sometimes on these board in TT forums. For what's it's worth, FMScout published an article of mine, extracted from a TT discussion you might be interested in.

http://www.fmscout.com/a-philosophy-creative-freedom-and-formation.html

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/360116-Creative-Freedom-amp-Mentality-Frameworks

Haha, thanks mate. I don't have my own blog unfortunately, surely because I am mainly active in the french community and it could takes time to translated or write again what I've already done. But, I will write for CCC and sometimes on these board in TT forums. For what's it's worth, FMScout published an article of mine, extracted from a TT discussion you might be interested in.

http://www.fmscout.com/a-philosophy-creative-freedom-and-formation.html

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/360116-Creative-Freedom-amp-Mentality-Frameworks

Yeah I read that article which was truly excellent and helped me understand the 4-2-3-1 a lot better, I was on the right track but your article pretty much gave it the finishing touch, well basically what I did was use a fluid style before and didn't realize how awesome this formation would be with a rigid style.

Btw I'm moving to France at the end of the month and hope to improve my french a lot during my time there so maybe you could point me toward a few good french FM sites? Always helps with learning a language if you are actually interested in the content you are reading. :D

That being said keep up the good work and I hope to see a lot more of your stuff in CCC.

• 1 month later...

The next edition will be out sometime in December. Now the FM14 is beta out we are taking submissions again, so if anyone is interested in writing something there is still time. We don't really need anymore tactical submissions though we have lots of those already. We would like more content that isn't tactic based so if anyone is interested then please let me know :)

The next edition will be out sometime in December. Now the FM14 is beta out we are taking submissions again, so if anyone is interested in writing something there is still time. We don't really need anymore tactical submissions though we have lots of those already. We would like more content that isn't tactic based so if anyone is interested then please let me know :)
Can't wait until the next edition is out. Thanks for the heads up!

• 1 month later...
What does this edition contain? Is it new stuff or your most recent threads from the tactics forum detailed into a pdf?

Similar stuff to last edition. None of it will have been seen before or be posted on any forums/sites :)

After reading Edition 1, I'm surprised with the lack of debate on the opinion that FM doesn't really represent real life football because of the lack of depth to the tactics and training etc.

Interesting to say the least. Not a criticism of the game, just very interesting to see what someone 'in the know' thinks. Good work Cleon, nice to have this insight brought to our screens. Was there any reaction from SI to this? Are they keen to receive the feedback and did they take it well or was there no real reaction?

After reading Edition 1, I'm surprised with the lack of debate on the opinion that FM doesn't really represent real life football because of the lack of depth to the tactics and training etc.

Interesting to say the least. Not a criticism of the game, just very interesting to see what someone 'in the know' thinks. Good work Cleon, nice to have this insight brought to our screens. Was there any reaction from SI to this? Are they keen to receive the feedback and did they take it well or was there no real reaction?

This isn't anything to do with SI. But Miles and a few of the other SI people only had good things to say about it and said it was really good and have supported us and helped us promote it :)

This isn't anything to do with SI. But Miles and a few of the other SI people only had good things to say about it and said it was really good and have supported us and helped us promote it :)

Wouldn't be surprised to see that change. Feedback like this can be invaluable. :thup:

Archived